Togafau returns. Again and again and …

Posted by Darren Urban on August 12, 2010 – 9:29 am

At some point, the Cardinals will release linebacker Pago Togafau and not bring him back. But the Cards aren’t at that point yet.

Instead, they brought back Togafau last week to replace the underachieving Ali Highsmith. It is the third time he has been with the Cardinals and, because of that and his familiarity with the system (and the Cards’ lack of depth at inside linebacker), Togafau is already practicing with the first unit, alongside inside ‘backer Paris Lenon.

“I can’t complain,” Togafau said. “If they are shuffling it up, I got the right cards. I am with the ‘ones.’ I’m not going to say anything, I’m just going to keep working with the ‘ones’ and when you play with the ‘ones’ we have out here, they make you better.”

Linebackers coach Matt Raich said Togafau’s depth chart status is just part of “shuffling guys around” and he wanted to see how Togafau does as the Mike linebacker. “We liked him last year and he was pushing to make the squad until he got hurt,” Raich said. “He’s doing the same now.”

Togafau was in coach Ken Whisenhunt’s first training camp in 2007. He was cut in camp and picked up by Philadelphia and played briefly for the Eagles before being released again. The Saints picked him up and then cut him, when the Cardinals decided to bring him back. He was on the practice squad at the end of the 2008 season — including the Super Bowl run — and was with the team in Flagstaff last August when a foot injury derailed his chances. He was let go, only to be brought back to the practice squad in late November. A month later, Togafau was promoted to the Cards’ active roster — and lasted two games before being cut once again.

He was claimed off waivers by Tennessee and re-signed with the Titans at the beginning of the offseason. But he broke his foot, and the Titans cut ties with him before training camp. So the Cardinals came calling again just a few days later — for a fourth time.

“So close but yet so far is the best I can put it,” Togafau said. “It’s always nice to have a chance, to have an opportunity. I can’t complain, man. I keep getting a shot and the Cardinals keep blessing me with these shots. Hopefully it works out this time.”

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Togafau returns. Again and again and …”

1. By Kurt on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I’ve always enjoyed watching Pago Togafau.
    Have the Cards looked at Banks at one of the MLB positions?

2. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

With Togafau now all of a sudden in with the starters, it can’t look good for Beisel or Walker? Or is this truely a experimental thing?

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Kurt –

Banks?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

I think if Walker can step up, they’d like that. But he has to step up.

5. By Walter L on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

At least next year we know we’re getting another MLB or two. lol

6. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

What a gritty guy. Can do!

7. By card62 on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Get well Hayes we need you week 1.

CB, ILB and TE our 3 biggest needs for 2010 and 2011.

I am excited about our D line and Porter and all the young pups we have at OLB and can not wait to watch them get after QBs just worried about our corners and stopping the run consistently.

8. By Kurt on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Just testing not Earnie Banks but Baggs

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Kurt –

Baggs was a defensive end turning into OLB. He’s not an ILB.

10. By phoenixraven1 on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Pogo looked good in practice yesterday…

11. By Capital Card on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Of his four stints with the Cards, how many jersey numbers has Pago’s used? While I would imagine a Joey Porter can ask for a specific number (assuming it isn’t already taken), do all players get to make such requests?

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Capital –

Usually, no. They are handed a number and they deal with it.

13. By Deveau on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I know 2011 draft is well, a season away, however, it shouldn’t deter the speculating fun. One of the posts above said major issues are ILB, CB, and TE. I’d say that is logical. Maybe even ILB, CB, and LT. However, in looking at 2011 prospects, the draft is thin at strong ILB, which gives me pause.

Anyway, if you don’t want to put a guess out there, I understand.

As for me, my thoughts are CB/LT is the 1st round, ILB in the 2nd, and depending on how the 1st round went, either a CB/TE in the third.

My $.02

Cris

14. By Dom on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

how are thing’s looking for Walker at getting significant playing time this year?

15. By John rennecamp on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren – any possible interestin Nick Griesen? He was a decent LB with the Giants – could he be an option?

16. By Jonathan on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    If the ILB begins to struggle once the season begins, you think the Cards would look for another linebacker to trade for??

17. By Scott H on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Must be tough ( mentally ) to be perpetually in the process of coming and going from as many different teams as he has. Gotta admire his persistence. Hope he gets a chance to stay with someone at some point…sure seems like he’s worked hard enough!

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

It’s not that I don’t want to guess, but so much can happen. If you would have asked me before the 2008 season about receiver, I never would have predicted what Breaston would do. That sort of thing. Yes, they need an ILB and a CB. They may need a QB. It also depends on where they are picking too.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Dom –

If Walker plays well in the preseason, he has a chance to start.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

John reencamp –

Funny, I was wondering the same thing when I saw his name. The problem is he has already been released twice this year and has been around awhile.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Jonathan –

I think they are always on the lookout to upgrade.

2. Aug 12, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com