Whiz talks Texans

Posted by Darren Urban on August 12, 2010 – 12:16 pm

There was no practice this morning (and sorry, I’ll miss the afternoon workout with my brother getting married). So there wasn’t any action to speak of as coach Ken Whisenhunt had his final talk with the media before the preseason opener against Houston.

– Whisenhunt committed to little as far as the game. The coaching staff will discuss quarterback playing time tonight between Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson. Whiz wants Anderson to get some time with the starting offensive line.

– The game will dictate if both the other two quarterbacks, John Skelton and Max Hall, get in the game.

– Among the spots Whisenhunt said he’ll specifically be watching were linebacker (not the veterans as much as the guys battling for playing time/roster spots like Cody Brown), cornerback (obviously), offensive line and some of the young receivers. From Leinart, he’d like production but seeing Leinart be assertive and handle the huddle are more important (and are intangibles that will be hard to see from the stands).

– Whisenhunt mentioned receiver health. While only tight end Dominique Byrd (hamstring) is a guy Whisenhunt specifically mentioned as possibly sitting out (see what I mean by not committing?) I don’t know if Ed Gant — who has a walking boot on his right foot — can go. And after missing some time with a sore knee, I’d guess they’d be careful with Steve Breaston even if he does play.

– RB Beanie Wells, I would guess, will be out there. “I was proud of Beanie,” Whisenhunt said. “I know he was sore and he did what he said he was going to do, show up and practice (with bad ribs). He is working like he is working to get as many reps as he can.”

– Whiz was asked about using Adrian Wilson more at linebacker given the unknown at the position. “It’s easy to say move Adrian down, but there are a lot of intricacies that come with that particular position that you don’t want it to detract from his play.”

– Whisenhunt said cornerback Trumaine McBride caught the coaches’ collective eye this offseason with how he works and his experience, starting some games in the NFL, helps his cause. That said, the Cards are looking hard at everyone at the position, not just for the vacant starting job but for spots in the sub-packages.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Whiz talks Texans”

1. By Lawrence Miller on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think this should be included in your comment thread for this story, but I’m not sure how better to address this. When I play the videos on your site, many times the action video freezes, stops, and starts. I’ve cleared my cache. This doesn’t happen on the press conferences or the talking heads, but it does during any action. I have a Mac and use a Safari browser (the newest). Thanks for your consideration.

2. By Lone-Eagle on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Long tome no blog. I am excited about this season, even without Warner. I believe Leinart is going to be just fine ansd possibly exceed all expectations. I love the attitude that you have been reporting about in camp!!! I love Docketts Attitude!! I used to be a Niners fan along time ago, then recently I realized I was a players fan. Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Steve Young, just to name a few. However I have lived in Az for 25 years, and I guess I have finally come full circle. I am still Q fan which means I will be watching the Raves as well, and routing for them, that is unless we meet them in the Super Bowl, then My allegiance belongs to The Az Cards!! I love what Whiz has done to the culture of the organization. I know I am rambling, but I can’t wait for the season to start. Go Cards and Go Red Army!!!!

3. By phoenixraven1 on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I will be there!!!

4. By Peter in Canada on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

It has been a long wait but finally we can get our Cards fix. Have a good time at the wedding but don’t drink and drive.

5. By Jesse Robles on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

DEFENSE!! I want to see the Cardinals Defense be BULLIES like Joey Porter said, anxious to see our D hit someone!!

6. By juan on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Hoping to see a lot of Daryl Washington Saturday!!!

7. By K-DUB on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Will the Cards wear their black uniform this game or against the Redskins? I would hope it would be at home, right?

8. By Scott H on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren -
    All the best to your brother and his new bride! Enjoy.

9. By Slim on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Never been so excited for a preseason game! Got to go to the Texans game last year and it was EPIC! This will also be my last time going to Cards game for a while since I’m moving to LA next week, hopefully the BirdGang’ll come out hot and send me off to Cali with optimism and less speculation. In Whiz We Trust.

10. By thatsjustgreat on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

congrats to your brother

11. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I love the Cardinals!!!! Can’t wait to see the QB battle on Saturday.

12. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

How has Steven Williams been on special teams? He doesn’t really look like a special teamer, and can the Cards afford that at the 4th/5th WR?

How has Byrd been doing?

Any prediction on which 2nd team off. lineman that are kept?

Has Reggie Wells played any RT?

Any surprises so far from Rouse or Ford or Miller?

First Pre-Season Game Prediction: Stevie Baggs and Cody Brown Blow Up!!!

13. By JohnnyV on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I get the whole scenario about not wanting to just throw the rookies out there, but you have to assume that the coaches will play the best players. The players that give this team the best chance to win will play right? I mean, wont you be surprised if guys like Monty Biesel or Togafau, two unwanted players, would be starting over Washington who was a fairly high draft pick? I have all the trust in the world in Coach Whiz, I’m just hoping they play the best player no matter how many years they’ve been in the league. Thanks.

14. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I hope Matt Leinart plays the game against the Texans. I really want to see him play, after all the training this off-season and after watching Kurt Warner play for so long.

15. By Brandon on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations on the brother’s marriage!

You almost made it sound like we may not see #89 play at all during the Texans game…do you expect just one series for both Fitz and Breaston?

16. By Skiptim on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

I just noticed that you changed your name, “Darren Urban”.

I’m glad, this whole time I thought Darrenurban was your first name.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Lawrence –

I want to include this because I think it could impact other people. It shouldn’t happen. At home (which happens to be where I am writing this) I use a Mac and Firefox and I am OK. That’s odd to me. I will pass along the concern, but I am worried it may be on your end. Anyone else have this issue?

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

I haven’t heard yet. I will look into it.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

1. Williams does play special teams. How well I don’t know.
    2. He’s been hurt.
    3. Let them play a game or two.
    4. Not this year. In the past, yes.
    5. Not that I have seen.

20. By Andre on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

yes, I’m having this issue as well. I’m using chrome on windows. I’ve even switched it with IE and it still happens. Almost all videos. Also, some times when I select a new video it still plays the previous video I already watched.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

JohnnyV –

Here’s the issue with that — is Washington, raw and prone to mistakes early on, really better than Beisel, for instance? Sure, Washington probably has more talent. But if his inexperience costs you more than his talent brings — which is how this coaching staff sees rookies usually — than that doesn’t mean he gives you the best chance to win.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

Patrick definitely isn’t playing. That was a given. I don’t know on Fitz or Breaston. I don’t see why they would get extended time, to be honest.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

Sometimes some of us are a little longer on the technological uptake. You like the picture though? No one can tell, but that’s me on the field before our Super Bowl.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Andre –

I will ask our tech guy about it.

25. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 12, 2010 | Reply

Congrats on Bro’s delve into family life and you probably should list the people primarily responsible for the Grimm HOF video, that was a darn good piece.
    What, if anything, will you be looking for Saturday?(the game, that is)

26. By Skiptim on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

I see your picture and I must say, you have a strong jaw with an overall authoritative facial structure.

On an unrelated to anything note, your job must be super fun. Growing up a Cards fan I’m sure, going to training camps, meeting all the players, knowing them on a first name basis. I literally cannot think of a better job. Heck, it seems like you are actually friends with Adrian Wilson! I bet you are secretly angry at your brother for being so darn selfish to get married on the day of a training camp practice, lol.

27. By dan on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm……..Gred Hardy had to sacks, I must be a friggin genius, what do u think Darren? Am I good or what?

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

I think you probably need to work on your spelling, so any genius tag will have to be kept on hold.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

Actually, I didn’t grow up a Cards fan because I was already in college here before they moved to Arizona.

But yes, I try to appreciate my job. I know I am lucky … even when Adrian is busting my chops.

30. By cooper on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

im 15 and im going to this saterdays game and just want to get and autograph doses any one no the best way to do it?????????? thanks and go cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Cooper –

Autographs are pretty hard to come by on game days.

32. By cooper on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

thanks for the in fo but if there was a place to go were would it be

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Cooper –

You can try in the stands on the south side near the tunnel to the Cards’ locker room.

34. By cooper on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

thanks darren i will try. my tixs are in sec 106 is that close to the tunnel

35. By Skiptim on Aug 13, 2010 | Reply

Ah okay, well I kind of meant since they’ve been here in Arizona. For me, that covers my entire life span, but in general I just mean it’s awesome that you are covering the team you like now (or at least I assume you do, lol).

2. Aug 13, 2010: Around the NFC West: Balmer’s demise « Acrylic Sports