• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Fitzgerald insists he’s OK

Posted by Darren Urban on August 14, 2010 – 8:55 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald came out of the game early and would have anyway, but he did suffer a heavy shot to his right knee (pictured below) after making a 16-yard reception. He had ice on the knee after he came out in the first quarter and then stayed in the locker room in the second half.

“I’m fine. I’m fine,” Fitzgerald insisted. “I was able to finish the drive. I could have continued to play but they pulled the plug on me.”

Asked if he’d be honest if he wasn’t OK, and Fitzgerald smiled. “No,” he said. “No.”

Coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t seem concerned. “He wanted to keep going but obviously we are going to be conservative with that,” Whisenhunt said. “We’ll get him checked out. He was walking around the locker room (after the game). He’s a little stiff, which you would anticipate, but we will be conservative in our approach because I don’t think we need to find out about Larry in the preseason.”

That sounds like Fitzgerald could miss preseason games if there is any worry about him, but like Whisenhunt said, it’s not like Fitz needs the practice.

Tags: ,

31 Responses to “Fitzgerald insists he’s OK”

1. By Yeti on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Might want to add an N to the end of “receptio”. :)

2. By Sedona Chris on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Fitz is everything you want in a star player… leadership, toughness, and a great off the field personality that doesn’t scream “me myself and i” like other elite players

3. By Bryan on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Semi-silly/serious question…

If Kurt Warner pulled a Favre and wanted to come back right now,would the Cards welcome him back?

Thanks,
    bryan

4. By Brad ONeill on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

i cant believe they took him over the middle. I applaud the catch but damn that may have been a bad idea sending larry across like that. the good news is there are lots of good receivers that the coaches do need to check out before the end of pre season so leave larry out and let the young guys earn their way on to the team.

5. By Zachary on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Fitz get it looked at ur just not use to getting hit like that just like old times you well poll through.

6. By Nick Pepe on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

I only got to see highlights. But by reading the play by play boxscore it appears the name “D. Washington” seemed to be on every other line. That can’t be a bad thing. And I like the attitude / demeanor of Skelton (from highlights only).
    Might he have “it”?

7. By ChrisH479 on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Phew. Dodged a bullet there. That was a pretty big hit. I’m glad Fitz is ok.

8. By Matto on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Thank goodness! I almost had a heart attack when i saw Fitz land like that. Hes a tough guy thankfully.

Gotta say Skelton had a pretty good game, particularly his 36 yard completion to Komar (beautiful placement!). Hes looking better and better every day. I’m interested to see how Max Hall fairs.

9. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Good to know he’s okay.

Off-topic, but Darren, did Matt Leinart say anything after the game? I’m looking around, but I can’t really find anything.

10. By Steve on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

I hate the fact that they keep replaying that play. I hope hes ok, he did play a few more plays after that so lets hope for the best…

Off subject Daryl Washington looked awesome he needs to be a starter.

11. By TheRobot on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

That grab by Fitz was soooooo awesome.. absolutely loved it. He’s a solider and his knee will be good. It’s standard Fitz to make that grab and hold the ball but man, it made for some great TV!

Leinart didn’t seem to have much for protection, hard to make judgements against him. He did have some spark there for a few plays.

I was really disappointed with Anderson. Even after he got it a little more under control, his passing seems to always be away from the body or overthrown. I know the man has a cannon but he looks like he needs to learn some finesse.

Skelton, I was very impressed with. Granted it was probably 2′s and 3′s he was throwing against on the defense, but he had swagger and was very accurate with the cannon he has.

I was proud of all of the rookies. Dan Williams, Daryl Washington, Stephen Williams all looked solid. Washington was all over on defense and I loved it. I wish we could of seen more from Andre Roberts on punt return instead of just constant fair catches but thats not necessarily his fault as he had defenders on top of him.

I’m excited for the season and excited for all the young guys we’ve picked up. I think they are going to grow into something amazing!

12. By Mack B McFarlane on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Due to my location i couldn’t watch the game, and now looking at the highlights and statistics, I’m a bit confused as to whats gone on with Extra points. The Cards scored 3 touchdowns, yet only 1 extra point was added to the total. Jay Feely is credited as going 1/1 for PATs , so what happened to the other 2 attempts?

Thanks.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

Yes. Not that it matters. He’s not coming back.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic –

Unfortunately, Matt decided to leave without speaking to the media.

15. By Darren Urban on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

It was 16-6 with 8 minutes left after the first TD, so the Cards went for two to make it a one-score game. They failed, but when they scored again to make it 16-12, Whiz went for two again simply because he didn’t want it to be a three-point game (and therefore, making a field goal send it to overtime, which no one wants in the preseason). It made sense (same reason the Texans tried a final play for a TD instead of kicking the game-tying FG at the end; NO ONE wants OT).

16. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

I love Steven Williams. oh Damn. That boy was open every single play. you called it Darren. you wrote about him and bam, there he was. My buddy and I had so much fun watching him juke DB’s and run free down the field. I felt bad for him because the ball didnt come his way until Skelton came in. man that was quite a show. what a GAME!!!! GO CARDINALS!!!

17. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Anyone who was not at this game could not understand ho well our rookies and young players did. It is hard to watch individuals who are away from the ball when the camera follows the ball. Matt Lienart only had one incompletion and that was tipped as he was about to get sacked, otherwise complete for another 4-6 yards. He managed the team well. His pass to Larry was low and away when it should of been tight to fit the pocket, however, it was complete.

It was nice to see the 2nd and 3rd strings with young healthy players and not an old vet fan fair. Thank You Cardinals Management.

18. By darrel on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren who is the green kid #30 ? Does he have any real shot at. Making the 53 man roster? He made some nice plays.

19. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

P.S. THANK YOU DERRICK ANDERSON FOR MAKING MATT AND SKELTON LOOK GOOD.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

Marshay Green might be more of a practice squad guy, but I do think he’s made an impression early.

21. By dan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

One or two more inches and Fitz would be out for the season on that lame tackle. Just lucky Fitz foot didn’t make any contact on the ground at all before or during the hit. We got real lucky on that one.

22. By Ken on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I liked Justin Miller’s play on kickoff returns. He had some boost and speed. At corner, he did not look so hot. What are his chances of making the final 53? thanks Darren

23. By TucsonTim on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Brad -

You are right. What a stupid play call with our #1 player. If they really had to see that play in a meaningless pre season game then why not run it with one of the dozen or so other WR’s we seem to have on the roster right now.

24. By trigidy22 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Matt u almost killed Fitz!!! it shows how big of a loss it is with BOLDEN gone !!! Dude was a beast going down the middle!!!!! Fitz nice grab stay out the middle of the field PLEASE are season rest on you… GO BIGRED

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Ken –

It’s going to be tough because I think he’d have to make inroads as a DB.

26. By Scott H on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Gulp!!! Just saw the replay of the hit Fitzgerald took. Pretty nasty…I won’t mind if he doesn’t play another down this pre-season. Given his nature, he’d probably play every play of every game, and that’s why I love the guy as much as I do. But he could have seriously injured several body parts on that hit, and we’re lucky he didn’t. Let’s not push our luck!
    In regard to the rest of the game, I would like to feel better about Derek Anderson than I do right now, but…whatever. It’s one pre-season game and nothing more. And, probably like a lot of other people, I look forward to seeing more of John Skelton. Very well-done, young man!

2. Aug 14, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald Insists His Knee Is Fine After Hard Hit
  3. Aug 14, 2010: Fitzgerald says he’s “fine” after big hit | Fantasy Demon
  4. Aug 14, 2010: Fitzgerald says he’s "fine" after big hit » Feed Me Fantasy
  5. Aug 15, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  6. Aug 15, 2010: Close call: Cards' Fitzgerald says MRI shows only sprained knee | NFL Football