• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Texans aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2010 – 12:09 am

It’s never easy writing about a preseason game, especially one like Saturday night’s. The Cardinals won, and there was plenty to be happy with when it came to some young players. And there was plenty that raised an eyebrow with the starters – especially on offense.

Then again, you don’t want to overreact to a performance that didn’t include a game plan. It seemed to me the Kurt Warner offense slogged its way through the preseason last year and that team ended up winning 10 games plus a playoff game.

That’s not saying the Cards will do the same thing this year. But right now, you don’t know.

All that said, here are some of the things I took away from the win over the Texans:

– You really want to see the first-team offense show some chemistry. It just isn’t clicking. The offensive line, right now, isn’t creating enough pass protection it seems, and Matt Leinart needs to play better too. Even Tim Hightower I thought had a couple holes and didn’t gain as much as it looked like he would.

– It was disappointing Leinart didn’t speak to the media. He knows by now as the starting QB he not only will be talking but doing it in a press conference setting. He had to know he’d be a big topic tonight.

– Anderson was lucky he didn’t throw a third interception (it was dropped). It’s funny, he looks so confident in there. I liked his pocket presence. But the passes just don’t connect. Some of that was his accuracy, a couple of times, the receivers have to make the play. (Rookie Andre Roberts still is having a tough time hanging on to the ball; a couple of the passes would have been impressive catches but NFL receivers make those grabs. Then again, Roberts did make a nice catch on fourth-and-5 to keep the game-winning drive alive).

– John Skelton did look good, obviously, with a perfect passing rating and two touchdown drives. He played better tonight than he has looked in practice, quite frankly. But remember this: he was going against the back end of the Texans’ roster. Did he show his potential? Heck yes. Anyone calling for him right now to start over Leinart or Anderson, however, is just being silly and frankly loses all credibility just by suggesting such a thing.

– Greg Toler played well at cornerback. He may not be polished, but it seems clear he should end up as the other starting cornerback. I thought undrafted rookie cornerback Marshay Green showed up a little, especially on special teams.

– I don’t see how WR Stephen Williams did anything but continue to look very, very good. On the drive in which the Cards scored their next-to-last TD, it was all Williams. He caught a 20-yard pass and took a huge hit to the noggin, which sent his helmet flying – yet he held the ball (and the Cards got an extra 15 yards on the roughness penalty). “I was trying to bring some life back to the game and to the fans,” Williams said.

The very next play, Williams beat cornerback Fred Bennett and would have had a 38-yard TD if Skelton hadn’t underthrown him. Williams settled for a 32-yard pass interference call. When it was suggested Skelton underthrew it on purpose, Williams laughed, trying not to throw his teammate under a bus. “It was just a hard read,” Williams said. “It’s just something we have to work on in practice.”

– Finally, it’s hard not to get excited about Darryl Washington (grabbing a fumble recovery below). I still don’t think he’s starting by the beginning of the regular season, but he’ll be playing a big role. You can see Washington’s speed and his lack of tremendous size doesn’t seem to affect his aggressiveness. You could see why the Cards were considering drafting him in the first round. Long way to go, but it was a wonderful first impression.

OK, that’s enough. Bed time. There’s plenty more time to break stuff down this week.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

120 Responses to “Texans aftermath”

1. By dan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Well, Daryl Washington should be the starting ILB after what I’ve see. The dude can play. I’m a believer already.

2. By OLdude on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

The thing about these early pre-season games is, they get progressively more important in terms of qualitative analysis of personnel and schemes etc. etc.Soi this first one is practically a glorified scrimmage. This is NOT to say it is a total throw-away but it really is the least relevant dress rehearsal. The one thing I get out of this first “game” is……… HOW MUCH I MISSED FOOTBALL !!! YAHOO !! GO CARDS !!

3. By kingdiamond on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Dan-Washington could start, but I like the Whiz approach-slow but steady. I am certain that he will be starting by midseason. Same with Lt. Dan.

4. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I don’t feel like Leinart played that poorly. Like you said, Darren it is the first preseason game and there definitely were some pass protection issue. But the throw to Larry was nice, he hit the TE on a big gainer and looked confident, I have no reservations about Matt being our starter. The only thing that does bother me is how everyone is just waiting for him to under achieve.

5. By Mark on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I agree washington was great tonight

6. By Chris on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Washington kind of reminded me of Ray Lewis. and even though Skelton was playing agains backups, he still looked good.

7. By Eazy E on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Im going to look at the whole game tomorrow, so far offense didn’t look totally in sync. I want to look at the whole game before i fully judge everything. Hey darren, why is dockett listed as a DT in our 3-4, calais is the rde, b-rob is the NT, and dockett is the lde, not a dt.

8. By Skiptim on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, when you say Leinart needs to play better, what did you not like about his performance tonight? I thought he played pretty well. That pass to Fitzgerald seemed to have some real zip and didn’t come with the regular floating. I’m very interested in seeing what he does in the third preseason game with extended playing time. He seems like the type of player that really does best when he gets into a rhythm (13 of 16 in second half of Titans game). I suppose you can say that about most quarterbacks, but he did to better in the second half of the Titans game.

9. By Daniel on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I hope that a guy like Skelton gets more playtime, i really like the way he plays :) and he have a really good hight he can se pass the O-line

10. By Jesse Robles on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I thought Jim Dray did a good job catching the ball for a Tight End, I didn’t pay to much attention to his blocking. I did see Stephen Williams lay a good block in the end zone so we could score. I understand that it was preseason and they were scrubs, but Komar, Williams, Roberts, and Skelton worked well together, you can tell they worked together in practice, something our #1 Offense didn’t have. Our Draft class looked good in the game. Matt didn’t do bad throwing, just a couple offensive line flaws which can be fixed. LETS GO CARDS!!

11. By Ken Cadena on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if Kurt Warner will take 15 million for one year, because the card offense will not work with leinart. They simply stink. Matt has played enough in the nfl, and is using excuses. This is going to be a pathetic year. Kurt was the saving grace to that organization. his sheer presence made teams watch there blitzes and attack. They are going come and get leinart every down licking there chops. The cardinal organization should of offered him more money right off the bat, but instead wanted to be cheap, and think Matt Leinart was going to come to the rescue. Well Cards look what you have now a quarterback who never took it serious because he was given everything. Unlike Kurt who worked hard all his life at the position. HAIL KURT WARNER

12. By Evan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I’m REALLY concerned about the QB position. Granted, if someone like Rex Grossman could take the Bears to the Big Game, then why not Matt Leinart, right? I’m ALL for giving him a chance to lead the way – he’s earned it and I believe that most fans want him to succeed.

Really.

However, as you suggest Darren, there’s seemingly no electricity with Leinart or Anderson in the game (and it honestly looked yet another Browns game with questionable pick-up in there on Saturday). But what gets fans like me fired up is the passion of Cards like Skelton and Williams. They’re obviously thrilled to even be in the NFL and have an inherent need to jam the ball down the throats of their opponent. Frankly, someone like Jeff Garcia has that kind of drive too and makes much more sense than Anderson, even if it’s just being a role model to the rookies – or God-forbid, assume Warner’s role if necessary.

In short, we’re not seeing confidence or passion in the eyes of our #1 or #2 QB’s. Maybe it’s pre-season. Maybe they’re hiding it well. But how can they inspire their teammates to go to hell and back for a “W” if they can’t even trick US? Sure, we still have time to fix it… but they’re not convincing me that we’re going to be the NFC West champs as we are now.

In our current state and with our schedule, we’re speeding toward a second place 8 and 8 this year. PLEASE prove me wrong (or step aside for someone that plays like they won’t accept mediocrity).

13. By Leann on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, there is one thing I will disagree with you on. John Skelton… He showed a lot out there, way more than Leinart or Anderson… 1st or 3rd string, doesn’t matter. Anderson is god awful as it is. My 15 year old brother has better vision of the field. Im just sayin, expect Skelton to be around.

14. By trigidy22 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren did Andre Roberts get cut yet??? what a joke!!

15. By TucsonTim on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Just pre season but:

Our #1 O line was dominated by the Texans
    Toler looked great
    Roberts can’t catch
    Washington was absolutely worth trading up for.
    Skelton looked like the vetern and Anderson looked like a nervous rookie

16. By Chris B on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I saw two mistakes by Leinart that I can’t really blame him for: Keith getting pushed on his butt and his foot getting stepped on. 5 of 6 is fine, not great but not terrible. I agree that Hightower seemed to be asleep on the field while Beanie seemed to play like this game counted.
    Paris Lenon missed a huge tackle on the run for 21 yards. He ran past the RB to hit a blocker who wouldn’t have touched him if he went for the ball. Washington was all over the place. Toler made some nice deflections and I wonder how he would have done against Andre.
    It’ll be interesting who they play in the second game. Komar flashed and Green and Miller showed special teams skills. Alfanso is interesting but hard to think they’ll keep him with the other 4 good backs we have.

Hypothetical only: What are the changes of the team keeping both rookie QBs and releasing Anderson? I’m not calling for that, but am just curious about that scenario. Obviously Skelton went against no-names and Hall hasn’t played. Just wondering.

17. By Chris B on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and I don’t lie the Play-by-play annoucer that ABC uses for the preseason. He’s terrible. At least a dozen names wrong, including Andre “Jackson” and he gets his facts wrong too. “Skelton’s 2nd TD today!” to name one. Come on ABC, let us listen to Wolfley and Pasch.

18. By TW on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Washington seems great, but it’s more a concern about whether his body can endure 16 games at the middle linebacker position. It would seem a stretch to expect as much at this point. Hopefully he can bulk up a bit.

19. By mo on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Maybe you or someone else here can explain to me about inside linebacker personnel in a 3-4. We got Lenon (who looks good) to replace, until Washington’s ready, Dansby’s old position. We have, next to him, Gerald Hayes’ spot. But Gerald’s iffy, so we have … Beisel, Togafau, and Walker. If Washington’s truly headed for more quality playing time, which position would be take? Lenon’s? If he did, we’d still be in a quandary over Hayes’ spot. I like the idea of Lenon and Washington being on the field at the same time but would that even work personnel/scheme-wise?

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E –

The simple answer? Darnell wants to make the Pro Bowl. He isn’t getting there in this scheme if he is called a DE. And the Cards use enough 4-3 looks that they can get away with it.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

I know there were protection issues, but I just think he can do a bit better. I don’t know if I can put a finger on it. I am going to rewatch his play later today; I’ll have a better sense of it then. Don’t get me wrong, I thought he was OK.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Ken –

I will give you a pass because you wrote this in the middle of the night and who knows what kind of frame of mind you were in. But Warner already walked away from 12 million dollars by not playing this year. You come across as ignorant by saying Warner didn’t return because the Cardinals are cheap. Warner retired, he didn’t want to play anymore, and the Cardinals are dealing with it the best they can. Is Leinart the answer? Maybe not. But you’d have to convince me you aren’t overreacting in your assessment — based on three series in the very first preseason game — that the offense “will not work” with Leinart.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Leann –

I’m not saying Skelton doesn’t have potential. I’m saying anyone thinking he is their best starting option right now is wrong. I guarantee, had Leinart been out there at the end of the game, he would have looked pretty good too (remember how he lit up the Packers in the second half last year in the preseason? Same difference.).

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Chris B –

Gonna be tough since they just handed Anderson a check for more than $3 million.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Mo –

I think it’s possible Lenon could take Hayes’ spot. But you are right, in a perfect world, Washington surpasses Lenon and someone like, say, Reggie Walker shows enough to fill for Hayes.

26. By Matt on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

When is Whiz going to learn that Hightower is at best a backup running back? He has the next Adrian Peterson sitting on the bench in Beanie Wells, begging to get in the game.

Hightower is terrible, Beanie could be the next true great back in the NFL. Peterson, Chris Johnson, MJD — do you see these guys sitting on the bench, hoping to get 15 carries per game? No. Their coaches aren’t that stupid.

Whiz is in over his head with Hightower.

27. By BigRedFan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Too early to assume a lot about offense and vanilla defense. Texans look good, though. Skelton certainly has QB of the future potential. Not now, but long term…

28. By Carddan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any explanation or speculation on why Beanie saw so much action so late in the game? I couldn’t tell if Coach just wanted him to get a lot of work, if it was a message to him that he is currently second string, or if Coach just wanted a score. What’s your take?

29. By Chris on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

A lot has been said about the “not having a game plan”, but I wonder.. does that mean they didn’t script plays or even do a walk-through for Matt’s time? The reason I’m wondering is that, despite all other criticism, Matt followed Fitz the entire time on the completion that probably injured him, and could have ended his season. People are saying that the pass was a “laser”, but Matt followed him the entire time, didn’t even attempt to look off the safety, and set Robinson up for a complete kill shot. If the pass is a little less high (allowing Fitz to reach and not leave the ground), or even right on the numbers we could be talking about #11 missing the season.

I guess the question is: Is it acceptable for a guy who’s been in the offense as long as Matt has to make such a fundamental mistake? I know the offense sputtered in the preseason under Kurt last year, but Kurt never locked on to a guy going over the middle like that. I think it’s dangerous and I’d be shocked if Matt and Fitz didn’t have a little chat about that.

Thoughts?

30. By dean on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I thought Matt looked great considering the presure he was and is under.His offensive line needs to step it up big time!!!

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Carddan –

I think he just wanted Beanie to get some work.

32. By K-DUB on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

If Roberts continues with this performance will he not make the 53 and it will move O. Jones and S. Williams up to 4 and 5?

33. By Nick Pedersen on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Sayin someone will lose credibility for recommending Skelton as a backup or possible starter…well look at the tape. From I saw he was the only one who looked off defenders, pump faked to get a receiver open AND looked at his reads and not stare down the receiver. That’s why Fitz got the hit he did. Leinert stared him down, didn’t pump fake and the D knew exactly where the ball was going.

Was he with the 3rds against 3rds? Yes, but he looked like he had control. The throw across the middle was a nice throw that fell incomplete. Put Fitz or Breaston in that position, that’s a completion every time!

I say make DA step up his game! Put Skelton with the 2′s for a few series and see what he does! DA either steps up or steps down.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

I don’t know the answer to that. But football is a rough game. Guys get hit. Fitz is going to get hit. To say Kurt “never” locked into a guy is hyperbole. Something tells me you don’t know that for sure.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

It’s too early to tell, but I think Roberts makes this team.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

First of all, I said those calling for him to start. I said nothing about him being the backup. I did look at the tape. And I am telling you, he cannot start right now. Not only did he play against the back of the roster for Houston, they paired down the playbook to very little when he went in. I stand by what I wrote.

37. By Stacey on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Here’s an idea…remember the saying “We Do This Together”? What if we actually pay attention to that and get behind our boys, including Leinart, and give them our full support, and see what happens? How can they be expected to play well and mesh together as a team when we, their fans, won’t extend them the same courtesy? Just a thought…

38. By Alex on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, how about Spach starting? do you think that is a sign that he might be the number 2 over Becht?? I thought he looked good last night! plus, i just think that Patrick and Spach go better as a pair of TE’s. what do you think on the subject?

39. By patrick on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Im so tired of faithless ‘FANS’ its the 1st PRESEASON game and you are already hating on the team you like, why don’t you faithless fans go hop on bandwagon like you probably already do!!!

40. By John on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

I see where you’re coming from on Skelton but I don’t feel like you’re giving him enough credit for his performance either. While he had some rough outings in camp, I think it’s only fair that he be given adequate time to get to know the system before we dismiss any possibility that he could ever win a starting role. Let’s not forget that Leinart and Anderson have had some pretty rough days in camp as well and Skelton hasn’t had the benefit of working with this offense long enough to create any real chemistry. While the stat sheets will never show it, anyone who watched that game saw Matty stare down his receivers to the point where it became a health risk. If he’s going to keep doing that all season, he might as well start sending Tweets from the huddle to let our opponents know what we’re doing before we even come to the line. Yes, it is only preseason but here’s what I saw last night:

Leinart: Unimpressive given the length of time he’s been with the team.

Anderson: Unimpressive but settled down a little late in the game

Skelton: Impressive with an asterisk – Yes it was a third or fourth team defense but I don’t care who you’re playing against; that pump fake, sell playaction, and let it rip to an open receiver was something I didn’t see from any other QB last night.

I’m not ready to hand out any starting roles based on a few series, but those were my notes for the evening.

41. By patrick on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

@ Stacy well said, i can’t stand faithless fans they make me very irritated because they are the type who want things to happen now and on their time, people have no patience anymore especially when its the 1st preseason game, get off my boy leinart!!

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

I think it does show what the coaches think of Spach. Sometimes I think Whiz looks at Spach — hard working TE — and sees himself when he was a player.

43. By Brandon on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Wow, Skelton should be the starter. No wonder people think cards fans are homers. Cmon people, half these guys that Skelton threw against are going to be working for UPS in a few weeks. Darren, you do a great job, but having to explain that several times has to be annoying. Now, on to leinart. I thought he looked just fine. The offensive line, was well, offensive. But that’s all stuff that can be worked out. Seems like Matt has always been kinda of a slow starter. Would you agree? I think the D is gonna surprise alotta teams this year too

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

John –

Fair notes. But when coaches were saying this summer Skelton needed two years before he’d be ready, I don’t know how that has changed that drastically. I have been covering this team and the NFL for now 11 seasons. I am not a coach, but I feel comfortable enough in my knowledge to, yes, dismiss the idea of Skelton starting this season (barring injury). I have been at all the practices. He has not looked good in practice consistently. The game was impressive, but it was half of one quarter.

I am not trying to take away from what Skelton did. I suppose I am trying to lower expectations. I watched everyone deify Tyler Palko last preseason too. If Leinart is terrible, Whisenhunt isn’t going to play him. If Skelton truly is the best QB, Whiz will play him. Whisenhunt isn’t going to start Leinart if he thinks he has less chance to win. Why would he do that?

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

I think Leinart has to play better. Slow starts won’t help in the regular season (although hopefully gameplanning will improve that too).

46. By Jordan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I was at the game last night and was pleasantly surprised by Marshay Green and Jim Dray. Have these guys been playing that big in practice? What are their realistic chances of making the team? I understand it was the first preseason game, but I’m curious if the coaching staff has already been impressed or surprised by them in practice.

47. By Chris on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

@Stacey & Patrick: They are expected to play well because they’re paid to. This isn’t Pop Warner. The fact we’re all here asking questions and sharing thoughts is BECAUSE we care. Blind faith and support without questioning how the team could be better with different personnel sets is simply cheerleading, which I don’t believe is the main purpose of the blog. Nobody has been disrespectful, everyone is constructive and Darren moderates things very well.

48. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Jordan –

Dray has been hurt much of camp. Green has been noticed, but it’ll be a numbers game. Both could end up practice squad too.

49. By dimitosesma on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Amen to that brother. Game was much better when they went to Wolfley & Co.

50. By Javier Montoya on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Wow you’re right. No Electricity with either QB. Did it feel that way in practice?? The chemistry was just off, at least it was yesterday, like you said. Did I just get that used to seeing Kurt’s offense or did not that O look congested.. They looked so stuffed. Are the under the center, really tight formations what you’ve been seeing most of in Flag?? I know we want to run the ball more so I get it but what’s your take on those questions??

51. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Javier –

I do think they will have fewer spread sets. And quite frankly, the offense didn’t look all that great in the preseason last year even with Kurt (remember the third preseason game against Green Bay, when both the starting O and D were bad and Leinart led a second-half comeback?). Gameplanning will help.

52. By JohnO on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I was real pleased on how most of the 2nd and 3rd stringers played. Washington, Williams, and Skelton topped my list (of 2nd/3rd stringers).

Not worried about Leinart at this point. He looked good last year against Titans, so I expect him to retain that level at least, if not better.

Already waiting for next weeks Tennessee game.

53. By Andrew on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

A bunch of you are faithless bandwagon fans who have no knowledge of the game of football and are in way over your heads constantly criticizing from the computer chair. You all need to wake up and realize this is the FIRST preseason game! What are you all getting your panties in a bunch for…dang. Your probably all the fake fans that came out of nowhere after 2008, and boy do I not like it. When we lose in the regular season then you can all cry to Darren Urban about players under performing.

54. By Stacey on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Aren’t we cheerleaders? Of course most of us don’t look that good in those cute shorts, but I think The Boys hear us more than the girls on the field.

55. By Thomas77 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Daryl Washington looks good.

Matt Leinart didn’t look bad, but he didn’t exactly look great either. But what else can you really expect when only getting a few reps. I’m sure things would have come together. When you look at Matt’s numbers, he doesn’t really look bad at all. The problem is, the offense just doesn’t seem to look alive, or electric with him in there. But then again, they looked the same last year, if not worse actually, with Warner. The first team offense in the preseason looked very out of sync, and that even stemmed into the first several games of the regular season. I remember actually being very concerned after our loss to the Colts. But then they came off the “bye” looking very, very good, and they finished the season pretty strong. So I said all that to say this…I think we just need to be patient – with both #7 and the offense as a whole. The only part of the offense that might be a slight concern to me, and I stress the word “slight”. Is the offensive line and their pass protection. They looked sorta weak during the scrimmages, and they looked fairly vulnerable against the Texans. I just hope they can figure that part out before we hit the regular season.

56. By Aaron on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

It was the first pre-season game people…

People calling for Matty to be benched already are irritating as can be. Out of the 3 QB’s that played last night, I thought Skelton looked the best. Am I calling him out to be starter? Heck no…If there is one thing I took from that game, (as far as Skelton is concerned) is that he looked incredibly poised in the pocket. He looked comfortable. Is that a product of playing against the scrub defense that was in at the time? Very good possibility. BUT, I can’t argue the fact that he looked more like a veteran backup than a rookie.

D. Anderson on the other hand, I never cared for the guy really. He had 1 good year in Cleveland. I think he’s overrated and overpaid. And I really hope they don’t bench Leinart in favor of Anderson. Give Leinart at LEAST half the season to mesh with the guys in a game setting, if at that point he isn’t getting the job done, do what you have to do. But you have to give him a shot.

Sure up the blocking of the 1st string O line and I think Leinart does fine. Didn’t help that Mario WIlliams made the O line look like boys amongst men either.

I have to say, I don’t get the obsession with Hightower. He’s the master of no gain. Beanie is the future, and as someone said above, is the next Adrian Peterson given the chance. (In my opinion of course)

I loved the fire coming from the 1st string guys at the end of the game. Helping to push the 3rd stringers to play like it meant something. I hope the whole team can take that passion through the regular season. State of mind is huge, as is team unity. Keep it up guys!!!

57. By Ctownbeatdown on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Leave it to Cardinal fans to press the panic button first game of the pre season.

58. By Thomas77 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

…and now I finally read your comments about Warner and the offense last year during preseason, Darren. Didn’t mean to “copy” you.

59. By Javier Montoya on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Ya I read that in your blog and remembered us lookin pretty flat as well early on.. I’m not worried they just, like I said, seemed congested.

60. By Brad ONeill on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

number 12 (roberts0 looked worried to be there. his fair catches on the punts seemed overly cautious. His drops and the fact that the quarterback seemed to have to tell him where to be worried me. I think he was lost in the big lights. number 14 (williams) seemed more comfortable and i think the passes he missed were more on the qbs than on him. i loved his block on the last touchdown. he stood up the only guy that had a shot at making the tackle and kept him safely in the endzone.

I know anderson has some special skills but he seems to have misplaced them. He was a pro bowler but he didn’t even look like a decent back up yesterday. i really want to see skelton against the 2s or even 1s next game and maybe anderson can get his confidence back against the 3s. I think matt will be just fine but i really think as a leader he should have stuck around for his press conference. He could have praised skeltons play and not hurt his standing at all.

58 (washington) not only was involved in a lot of big plays but he seemed to be taking charge of the backfield. You could see the energy and confidence building as the game went on. I have no fear at all anymore of our linebacker core. inside and out from top to bottom they looked good all the way through the game.

I felt bad for justin miller. he got suckered by one of the best players in the game. these things happen to young players i just hope he looks at that film and makes never again his cadence. I recall similar things happening to drc when he used to think his speed and skill could make up for giving a little oo much cushion to his charges.

61. By mike b on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I noticed that Baggs had some playing time and could have had one sack or another (if toler didn’t hit him, and if the qb didn’t get the ball off on time) do you think he will get more playing time the next game? and I saw that Mougey was on special teams, do you think he will get a reception next game?

btw I was really impressed with Max Komar I have not really heard much of him this training camp.

62. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

No worries.

Hey, in the end, I get what both sides are saying. I understand those who are worried about QB. I totally do. I just tend to stay more middle-of-the-road in preseason.

63. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

Komar impressed me. Mougey played a few reps at WR but he’s got an uphill climb to get in there. I didn’t notice Baggs, to be honest.

64. By darrel on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Some of you fans are crazy gettin hyped up about skelton. …have u for gotten we haven’t even seen max hall in a game yet so let’s not get over Enjoyed. Him

65. By Kenny on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Stat with which I was most impressed: 3 penalties for 24 yards. Not bad for a first preseason game.

66. By John on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

After watching it live, then watching it on TIVO, here is my impressions. (and yes, I do know its preseason)

The Good;
    Daryl Washington- This guy was everywhere. Although he was caught inside on a couple run plays, his overall play was everything we thought it would be.
    John Skelton- Although he was playing against 3′s and 4′s, his passes were perfect. His only incomplete was a drop by Roberts. We may, someday, have something here.
    The Backup D-line- Williams, Branch, Iwebema, Watson, were very active, stringing plays out and playing sideline to sideline. Kenny showed nice penetration. (B-Rob might be odd man out)
    Duece Lutui- Plays aggressive and hard. He will start for this team.

The Bad;
    Andre Roberts- I counted 5 drops, including one of Anderson’s picks. If he wasn’t a third round pick, he wouldn’t make this team.
    Cody Brown- This guy has no pass rush ability. As soon as the Tackle gets his hands on him, it’s over. BTW, the broadcast said Brown caused the fumble, but he left the field the play before.
    AJ Jefferson- not only did he give huge cushions, he never closed the gap once the ball was thrown.
    Brandon Keith- In the short time Mario Williams played, he dominated Keith. Keith better step up his game.

Surprises;
    Jim Dray- thought he was a wasted draft pick, but he came to play.
    Jordick Calvin- This kid can tackle. He’s a project, but could end up in dime packages.
    Max Kpmar- 2 nice catches. Maybe practice squad?
    Pago Togafau- Was all over the field making plays. I bet he doesn’t get cut this year.

Need to see more;
    Matt Leinart- I’ll admit , I’m hard on him. But on two 3rd down plays, he threw check downs before he needed to, killing both drives. I’d like to see him push the ball down the field more.
    Derek Anderson- Jim Dray ran a wrong pattern, and the ball should have been picked. Andre Roberts plays volleyball and the ball is picked. I’d like to see him with the one’s.
    Stephan Williams- He is very raw in running patterns, but I’d like to see him against better competition. We all see this diamond in the rough.
    Greg Toler- Coach Whiz always does things for a reason. So what is the reason Toler is still running with the 2′s. Although he played well, he needs to show Whiz what he wants to see.

There is my opinion of what I saw.

67. By darrel on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t know there was This many john skelton fans….. don’t forget we haven’t seen max hall yet daryl washington looked good. Considering its was very first nfl game he reminds me a lot of Patrick willis. He has speed, awareness, good wraps up,doesn’t always go for big hits that just shows how mature as player he is. And he had control of the whole defense. True leader and that’s what u want out of your MLB

68. By D ryans on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Those patches in the roof looked great, now the stadium fits in much better next to the chicken coup and farm fields. We should change the nickname from bird nest to Big red barn. Westgate is a joke, overcrowded and no real resorts for fans to stay. Good luck Glendale on trying to land another Super Bowl. Should have built it in the east valley where football belongs, but then again thats the Bidwell always trying to save a buck.

69. By Deveau on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

An interesting game to watch. The first team O, starts at the line…However, they aren’t entirely responsible for the less than so-so performance. Individual players looked sharp. #14, caught the ball, took hits, and most importantly, threw a block on his man while Jason found the end zone. That’s a player you want to keep around. The 3rd round pick from this year though, seems…Expendable…Receivers by trade catch the ball. Not sure if hands can be taught at this level.

I stand by my OL first round pick for 2011. And, I wouldn’t be surprised at them looking at another OL in the 3rd round.

Defense. Dan Williams…I have nothing to say as of yet. Washington…Wow. I like the motor, the ability to be near the ball and make the play, the aggression. CB, Toler looked good. Able to cover, willing to be physical. He missed a couple of run support tackles, but that’s just tweaking the technique. McBride also played well at the position, and Green made special teams plays that make me think he will make the team, even if at that function.

I still believe the organization takes a strong inside linebacker in the 2nd to become heir apparent to Hayes.

Thank for the coverage.

Cris

70. By Cali Mark on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, although we can all agree Daryl Washington was impressive, I thought linebacker Pago Togafau played pretty good as well. I believe he was responsible for the forced fumble of Slaton at the goal line and was second to washinton in tackles. I know he has been picked up and released numerous times, but do you think he has a chance to make this team.

71. By Ben Skehan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Everyone seems to be forgetting the most important thing of what Leinart did last night, he took care of the ball. I really didn’t notice one defender getting anywhere close to his throws(granted it was only 6 throws). Of course, correct me if I’m wrong, hate when I am.

72. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Kenny –

Great point. An overlooked fact of the night.

73. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

D Ryans –

It’s Bidwill, to begin with.

And where the stadium is has nothing to do with saving money. Phoenix blocked the Tempe site and Mesa turned down the stadium. The first choice was the East Valley. None of those cities could get it done. There are things you can criticize the Bidwills for over the years, but where the stadium is isn’t one of them. It always helps to do research before you go off on a topic.

74. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Cali –

Yes, I do. He was cut by the Titans right before camp started, otherwise I think Pago would have been on this roster this offseason.

75. By D ryans on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Who turned the Red Sea into a giant checkers board? All those black jerseys look like cheap Atlanta Falcons knock-offs from Wal-Mart.

76. By D ryans on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren thanks for the reply, but i have done research and know that Mr. Long made that land available for a steal to Westgate and Glendale so that all of his land surrounding that area would drasticly go up in value. I think its hard to argue that its always about money. I am just still upset because i think its a terrible location, again no resorts, golfing, etc.

77. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

D Ryans –

I am not saying there wasn’t a discount on the land. But the bottom line is, if the Cards hadn’t built there, no other city was going to take them. I was covering the team for the Tribune at the time, and the bond that paid for most of the stadium was about to expire if Glendale hadn’t come along. There was no place else. Trust me, living in Chandler, I wish it was closer.

78. By Dr. Brian on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I have know Paris Lenon since he was a kid. Trust me, the Cards will want to have him on the field as much as possible. He is so underrated and he is a quiet, go-to-work kind of pro that often goes unnoticed. However, it is critical not to overlook how much this guy gives you on and off the field–a quiet, strong, non-nonsense leader. He is a pro in every sense of the word. He plays hurt, he works like a maniac and he is a consistent, intelligent player. He will not just bring Washington along–he will need to be in the line-up with the kid. He will make him better just like he did Ernie Sims in Detroit, James Laurintas (sp?) in St. Louis and Nick Barnett in GB. Flor the next 2-3 years the Cards are going to rely on this fella more than folks realize.

79. By Javi on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

hey darren do you know when the cardinals are going to wear there new black uniforms during the preseason?/ im dying to know thanks

80. By Stuart on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Dude I think you have great coverage, You stated it perfect Matt Lienart does need to step it up a notch (even though it’s preseason football and please no injueries). Derrick Anderson I have the same feelings about. Heres how I really break it down when it comes to who replacing who and all this mess.

Matt Lienart didn’t look BAD but didn’t look AWESOME either, he needs to take it to that next level. Derrick Anderson didn’t show at all that anytime soon he’ll be taking Lienart’s starting job. Skelton was very impressive looked like a seasoned Vet (AGAINST THE BUTT END OF THE TEXANS D), but if he continues to look that impressive during the rest of the preseason there should be a QB battle for the 2nd spot. We still have yet to see Hall’s performance too.

Defesivley (once again can’t spell) D. Washington WOW, keep it at this level the rest of the preseason and regular season and that starting job is yours. I also have to say D. Williams WOW he was eating guy’s up. Branch and Watson need to step it up no more sputters of potential. Rest if the Deffence needs to step it up a notch.

Wide Recievers S. Williams hats off to you. if he keeps playing at this level he should end up with a starting job in no time. M. Komar I’m not going to give a WOW but impressive speed, great hands, and no fear keep it up and he’ll be in there before you know it. A. Roberts I personally think CUT HIM (my opinion), and to the rest of the recivers take it to the next level or your going bye bye.

Well Darren what do you think about that anylization of yesterday’s performance? How would you go off that.

81. By Peter in Canada on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I have read all the posts concerning Skelton and IMO the view lies between the two extremes. I agree with Darren’s view that I wouldn’t hand him the keys to the car based on last night. However, as the other posters say, he did some really good things although it was against subs.His poise,arm strength, accuracy and selection of receivers can not be denied. I think he should be given reps against tighter pass coverage and a stronger pass rush to see how he performs. My mind always goes back to the 99 Rams and the words “Trent Green is down”. I think he has potential and will be given the chance to further prove himself.Darren, what does the coaching staff say about his performance and have they altered their 2 year estimate?

82. By Joe on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Why do people hate matt so much. He looked GREAT 6/7 for 49 yards are not kurt stats but thats what matt is. He is great at the short quick passes. The protection and running game were awful Tim made some very bad decisions not hitting holes in time or even missing huge holes and benie looked like he was running in molasses compared to last year is he still hurt? What options do we have for the line because if they play like that all year we are going struggle alot? I think Whiz has a decesion to make develop DA or Skelton for next year and dump matt or play the kind of football he’s good at i don’t think he is ever gonna be a deep threat kinda guy. You can talk about how Skelton played against the backside lineup all ya want but he thows a good long ball.

83. By TucsonTim on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Daren -

Thanks for the posts about Williams and his great play in training camp. At the game I watched him and he was amazing. Anderson had trouble finding him. I don’t know if he was running the right routes, but he was wide open alot. When 12 and 14 lined up on the same side it was clear that 14 is bigger, faster, and obviously he has better hands.

Can Williams return punts? Does Roberts drop as many punts in practice as he does passes?

84. By ben on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

why dont the CARDS just give up on liensuck and cut him, we’d be better off with the new vet in anderson and the two rooks skelton and hall

85. By David on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

I was excited by Skelton’s play, but I respect your reserved approach to him. I think the Skelton-lovers (and I include myself in that group) are reacting to the fact that the offense was slow and disappointing most of the night until he hit the field. My comment is this: I would like to see the Cardinals try to give him some “real game” experience this season something like what the Eagles did with Vick last season. You have to admit the kid has an arm. Putting him in for a couple of snaps a game could really pep up the offense.

86. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I remember hearing what ” Tokyo” was when Kurt/Matt read the coverage. The offense should start using some other call if I figured it out I’m sure the NFL defense should know this by now too?
    Just my 2 cents…
    Mahalo

87. By Deveau on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Important side note. Can you provide any update on Fitz having an MRI? MSN/Fox Sports has it on their website.

Regards,

Cris

88. By We'll miss Q on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

My thoughts:

1st of all Skelton played well, but ANYONE who thinks he deserves a sniff for #2 is really reaching. He was not pressured playing against #3′s and 4′s. This is the same kid I saw throw 3 picks in Wednesday’s practice. The same people saying he has not been in the system long enough criticize Anderson who has had the same time, even though he is a veteran.
    Washington looks very good, although he could be more physical at the point of attack.
    Brandon Keith got run over on that 1st series but rebounded well I thought. I love how everyone jumps on Keith (a 7th rd pick) for getting run over, but no one jumps on Levi Brown(1st rd #5 overall) for the same thing? Levi has not performed up to his draft status or his contract.
    Yes Beanie looked great running against #3′s and 4′s but I will defer to Whiz as why he does not start. It was obvious last year he was LOST in pass protection and picking up the blitz(like when he wiffed and Kurt got crunched it St. Louis). He is a great talent but Whiz sees him everyday and knows more than we do.
    Williams looks to me to have already made the team. I personally am TIRED of hearing about speed, size, vertical leap, quickness etc. when talking about receivers. The most important thing always has been and always will be being able to catch the ball. So far Roberts does not have that, so nothing else matters.

Lastly I hope the defense wakes up. They allowed the Texans to move right down the field. Yes they stopped them for a field goal, but it sure seems to me we have a lot of guys who like to talk, but are not backing it up, and have not backed it up in a while. AW played great though.

89. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Javi –

I have not heard yet.

90. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

Too early to pass judgment on Roberts. He needs to improve but give him a little time.

91. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

I haven’t talked to the coaches since last night. But I guarantee they aren’t going overboard based on two series late in a preseason game.

92. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

Gosh, with a well-thought out argument like that, why wouldn’t somebody jump on that logic?

93. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

Done.

94. By Patrick on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

D Ryans just be greatful we even have a stadium in Pheonix. And what are you talking about no resourts?? Have you even been to University of Pheonix?? Ever since it was built buisness there has been booming, and it’s creating a positive economic impact. Everytime I go there are new venues to go to, and new shops being built. Micheal Bidwill deserves a lot of credit for helping build a new stadium in Arizona. I think it’s a great location, and buisness have benifited greatly form it. Everybody that’s gone there has a good expericence you just seem to be the only one who isn’t enjoying themselves.

95. By TBru on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I did not get to see the game, and can only speak on what I have read, I like that the team didn’t give up and came back to win the game. I am excited about Washington. Can’t judge Leinart based on limited playing time. I think he should get more playing time in the next game. Nice show by Skelton but he is what he is a rookie 3rd stringer who has a lot to learn, I doubt he will see any real game time this season but could be great for the future. I think Williams might prove to be a very good pick up, love a good undrafted FA success story, my dad is a Toledo alum and he will love seeing him succeed. Lot of Changes on the O line, it will take some time for them to gel, but that is what these games are for. It was a meaningless game but a W is a W and winning is contagious. Nothing (Short of a serious Fitz injury) has changed my opinion that we will win a 3rd division title.

96. By Greg Skorupski on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Skelton!! He looked so comfortable in the pocket and had a wonderful debut. Forget Leinart or Anderson. Just give the ball to Skelton and let him get reps now with the first team offense. Couldn’t be the worst idea for the Wiz.

97. By Scott H on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Ken Cedana -

Hey, I’d love to see Kurt Warner here, too, but I don’t think money had anything to do with his departure. Whatever ultimately caused him to walk away was obviously very powerful and I don’t think any amount of money was going to change his mind. Think about if…he had a solid O-line in front of him, an emerging star RB in Beanie Wells, probably the best WR in football to throw to, he would have played at least half the season in a dome ( where he plays at his best)…what was not to like??? AND he was supposed to make, what, about 10 million this year??? C’mon…if he still had the fire burning in him to play this game, he’d be playing right now. I wish he were, but he ain’t. Also, look around the league right now – with the awful QB situations some teams have , don’t you think someone would give Kurt Warner whatever he wanted if were still willing to play??? This isn’t a failure of the Cardinals organization. Kurt was ready to be done, and he’s done. As much as part of me would love to see him come back, most of me is REAL glad he’s not putting all of us through the drawn out drama that Brett Favre puts everyone through every year at this point. It’s absolutely ridiculous that the Vikings play along with that crap. I respect Kurt for just being done ( even though I wish he weren’t! ).

98. By Richard S on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I like when Anderson pointed to the wide receiver off on the right side like he was in the wrong place to distract the defense and then handed the ball of to Beanie.

99. By ben on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

darren i understand that what i say has no stats or reasoning behind it, but even when liensuck has good stats the team just looks awful with him in thats all im saying, hes had his chance and he lost it time to move on.

100. By mark on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

hey darren i was wondering, do you think stephen williams makes the team? i feel like he could be a diamond in no time, even though it is early.

101. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Like you Darren, I’,m not ready to proclaim Leinart a failure because he didn’t lead 3 scoring drives (or any) in the first preseason game.

But to go back to what you said about being disappointed he didn’t talk with the media after the game … that raises a red flag with me. Like you said, he knows he’s a big part of the story with this team, and he blows it off, even after a game in which it doesn’t sound like he played poorly?

Not to overreact about one thing after one preseason game, but after hearing and reading for the last 8 months (and more, even) that he’s matured, he gets it now, he’s learned from his mistakes, etc., does it make you wonder that blowing off something so benign as a press conference as the starting QB is an indication maybe he hasn’t matured that much?

102. By Thomas77 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

I completely understand your approach. I mean, other sports news outlets don’t exactly go around quoting and relaying information that I or any other poster here says, in spite of how much we actually think our opinions are worth. But I’ve seen them run with stuff you say quite a bit. So I know you’ve got to be alot more responsible with your judgement calls and comments than we do. We get to have all the fun with our emotional outbursts, second guessing, arm-chair quarterbacking, and computer-jockey head coaching, while you collect the paycheck! ;o)

103. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

I get criticism. And it is fair when it comes to Leinart. But you lose credibility by calling people names. I don’t understand that part. That’s what middle-schoolers do.

104. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Mark –

He’s certainly headed that way.

105. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Jim in –

Leinart said it was a miscommunication. Personally, I think he should have assumed as starter he’d be required after every game, but it’s been a long time since that was automatic for him, so maybe he did forget.

106. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

As long as everyone understands why I might rein them in from time to time, I understand the need to go off the deep end once in a while.

107. By Thomas77 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Point well taken.

On a side note, if you didn’t reply to all our hair-brained ideas, then this blog wouldn’t be nearly as fun.

108. By Thomas77 on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and that wasn’t intended as a smack-down on your blogs. I find them very enjoyable and informative.

109. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

Oh, don’t worry. Had I thought it was a smack down, I woulda smacked back … ;)

110. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Short memories and snap judgments, the usual when it comes to preseason games. Leinart’s throw over the middle to Fitz was too high but refresh your memories before saying Warner never made the same mistake – already forgot the hit Boldin took against the Jets?

Cut Roberts, Leinart and Anderson??? Not that everybody suggested it, but that it’s brought up at all is a joke. I notice nobody made mention of the block Roberts threw on Smith’s rushing TD. For those who suggested it, you do realize cutting Leinart or Anderson means two rookie QB’s on the roster? Check the history of how teams do with starting 1st year players at that position. Now check it again when it’s a 5th round pick or an UDFA. Showing a lot of confidence in Max Hall considering you haven’t seen him in live action yet.

Whisenhunt doesn’t know what he’s doing as it pertains to Wells and Hightower? How many times has he explained his position on that? Always refreshing to know there’s so many out there who understand the role of a RB better than he does…

It was one preseason game, wasn’t game planned and doesn’t count. Relax people, there’s stll a little football left to be played.

111. By Evan on Aug 15, 2010 | Reply

Here’s an open letter to Matt Leinart because I/we care about him (and his “people”, family, agent, etc obviously aren’t telling him what he needs to hear):

Dear Matt,

Arizona fans want you to succeed. Really. But respect is earned, so here’s what has to happen:

1) BE PAYTON – First one in, last one to leave. Always. Your team needs to see unquestioned dedication from a leader of men. You must want it more than the most hardcore guy in the locker room.

2) BE BRETT – Run downfield to congratulate receivers, head butt linemen after saving your ass, inspire those around you both behind the scenes and on the field. In short, HAVE FUN every day. It’s contageous.

3) BE KURT – There must be a deep threat, so take a few uncharacteristic, calculated risks and stand in a little longer for a bigger payoff (without losing the ball). Sure, the tight end is your bestest friend but Fitz gets you both into the Hall of Fame.

4) BE MATT – You’re the %$#@ Golden Boy from USC! Act like it. Head up. Knowing grin. And don’t let anyone doubt, “We’re here to &%#@ WIN in Arizona.”

As you know, football is a game of matchups. If you honestly don’t see yourself being as good or better than Drew, Aaron, etc then there’s obviously more work to do. But never forget, we all felt blessed when you landed in Arizona during the draft (including your coach) and it’s honestly well within your power to give us that feeling again…

So what are you waiting for, Matt? %$#@ BRING IT.

112. By Force Factor on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

People really need to remember how bad Kurt looked behind a line that couldn’t protect him. Matt will be fine as long as the line doesn’t block like Matadors. It will take some time for this line to gel because they only have one guy returning to play the same position he played last year. Getting 4 guys at 4 new positions to play well as a unit does not happen immediately.

I thought Skelton showed some ability, especially for his first time at the rodeo. both Williams’ looked like players. Toler was pretty solid and Washington is an absolute beast! If he is not starting week 1, I will be shocked.

Roberts had better start getting it together or he will be gone. I originally thought he would make the team by default as a returner, but Green may end up with that job if Roberts doesn’t start catching the ball.

113. By BigAl on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I’m hesitant to give an objective opinion about the preseason game performances when surrounded by so many nervous nellie’s claims of doom and gloom, or declarations of stardom. Lets all just wait until the preseason ends before declaring starters or cutting players.

114. By Dani on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Dump Leinart who cares about the money invested in him. How many years are we going to waist on him? He is taking up bench space! Anderson looks just as bad but since we just paid him a few million lets keep him as a back
    up…put Skelton in….that kid blew me away and won the game. And Washington, wow…he’s an animal!

115. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Evan -

Funny, man…but if he’s gonna be BRETT, can we ask him to just retire once???

2. Aug 15, 2010: Sports Review
  3. Aug 15, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com
  4. Aug 15, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  5. Aug 15, 2010: Texans aftermath - AZCardinals.com (blog) | Houston Energy Options
  6. Aug 16, 2010: Around the NFC West: Fitzgerald frustrated | NowSportsLive