Back in Flag one more time

Posted by Darren Urban on August 16, 2010 – 8:54 am

The Cardinals begin their final week of training camp in Flagstaff today. It’s a longer stretch — the final practice is Saturday morning, because the team doesn’t have its next preseason game until ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” telecast in Tennessee a week from today. Anway, here’s hoping the rain stays away.

Here are some points to touch on this morning:

– Around noon or 12:30, Matt Leinart speaks for the first time since he played Saturday night (by now, you’ve heard he didn’t meet with the media after the Texans game; he said it was a misunderstanding).

– If you are planning on coming up this week, keep an eye on the practice schedule. Things can change. Already, the Wednesday morning workout has been closed to the public, leaving just one morning practice — Friday — left to watch. And Wednesday has a night practice and not an afternoon workout. Because there aren’t morning practices, news — like injuries — are going to come late afternoon. Coach Ken Whisenhunt usually doesn’t volunteer such things.

– I am planning on doing a live chat Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. I’ll go at least an hour and maybe a little more depending on the questions. I will link to the page tomorrow.

– And the plan is to have a new podcast taped tomorrow morning too.

Kurt Warner is going to do a few games for FOX as a color analyst. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t end up doing at least one Cardinals’ game. (Oops. Guess I should read all the way through the story I link to; Warner will be calling the Cardinals-Saints game Oct. 10).

– After the Titans’ game, the Cards, as you know, will spend the week in Nashville and go directly from there to Chicago for the third preseason game five days later (The Bears? In Chicago for the third preseason game? Who treats the third game of the preseason like it’s *@&%@%! *@&%@%!). Obviously there will be much more on that trip later.

Tags: , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Back in Flag one more time”

1. By Kenny on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

USA Today is reporting that Kurt Warner will call the Saints vs. Cardinals game on October 10th, and at least two others.

2. By Tyler on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Damn, I wish I were in Arizona to watch the practices. I’m all the way over there in SC. I really hope Stephen Williams makes the team as of now and Andre Roberts doesn’t as of now. Hopefully he can learn to catch. If it hits you in the hands you have to make the play. If you catch it, you have to hold on to when take a hit. No need to mention Darryl. His actions speek for itself. “BAMF”.
    I really want to hear about the corners because I am not convinced. Greg and the Dr.C sure, but beyond that makes me nervous.

3. By ben on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

credibility is a word used by simple people that want to be liked by everyone, and as for the name calling, its just the nickname the quaterback has earned, and on a different note i rather enjoy the blogs that you post. so i’m not trying to get into a personal pissing contest with you i just think that the cardinals would be better off without liensuck

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

I guess we will agree to disagree.

5. By Erik on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Ben,

Putz is a word used to describe you. The real Cardinals fans would prefer not to have your negativity around us and the team. Maybe you should look into getting an Eagles jersey because you would fit in with those fans very well.

6. By Flood on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, thanks for that trip down painful memory lane. Still funny to this day because the Bears are who we thought they were! I always take the third preseason game seriously :)

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Flood —

I’d be lying if I said I won’t be bringing that up again in a couple weeks. It’s just so … obvious.

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I’ve seen in camp photos from this summer that some of the fans have had light jackets on. How “cold” has it been up in Flagstaff this camp? What is about the average daily high would you guess?

Being from Wisconsin, I don’t want to hear that people are wearing jackets when it’s above 70 degrees. ;)

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

The jackets were probably from earlier in camp. It’s been plenty warm lately, upper-70s, lower-80s.

10. By Javier Montoya on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, (Oops. Guess I should read all the way through the story I link to; Warner will be calling the Cardinals-Saints game Oct. 10). haha a little hidden shot to those who don’t read through your blogs and then ask questions you answered in the story??? I heard Kurt a little during an arena football game. The team he played for and they retired his jersey if I remember right, which you probably posted anyways. It’ll be fun hearing him analyze the Cardinals but knowing Kurt he’ll probably keep it unbiased.. I guess he’ll kind of have to.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Javier —

No hidden shot. Just owning up to my own idiocy.

As for Kurt, he’s never had a hard time saying what needs to be said. I have no doubt he will criticize his old team if needed.

12. By Javier Montoya on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Oh you actually didn’t read it haha.. Very true about Kurt. Hopefully we’ll play well. Wow the Saints. Tough Game of Course and then have him on the mic he may come out retirement after that one. I know, I know, its not going to happen. Thx D.

13. By Doug on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Javier, I am not sure why Kurt would need to keep it unbiased. When Daryl “Moose” Johnston does color on Fox for Dallas’ games he has no problem being a complete homer.

14. By cardattac on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Man this is crazy!!! One pre season game down, only three series of play, Tim didn’t help much, an O line that couldn’t stop my 7 year old son, no INTs. only one incomplete throw out of 7 And he had a miss Q with the media. So…. lets hang him and put in a rookie?!?!?!

I thought this was football. Every player gets some sort of injury at some point. Dont blame Matt for Fitz’s reckless abandon. Who was to blame when Q got leveled against the jets??? I didnt see every body pointing the finger at Warner. What about Steve Williams almost getting his head taken off on a throw from Skelton?? All the bandwagon fans are showing there faces now!!!

For all you that just started watchin the CARDS. Warned made plenty of bad throws too. He also had plenty of 3 to 6 turnover days and some pretty ugly pre season play as well. In fact Waners highest QB rating in the pre season last year was 74.2 compared to Matts of 95.8 on Saturday. And we still went 10 and 6.

Give him and the O line some time to gel on the field. But man was our D flyin all over the place or what??? A-DUB was moving twice as fast as anyone else on the field and DRC looker more then ready.
    lenon looked pretty good too but do I even need to mention Washinton??? He was all over the place!!! Greg had a couple nice plays too. Very excited about the “TEAM” this year!!!

GO CARDS!!!!

15. By Peter in Canada on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Javier –

I watched that AFL game you are talking about. I don’t particularly like the game and I only watched it because Kurt was doing the colour. I think quarterbacks could benefit from AFL experience because it is definitely a QB’s game. Warner admitted that he owed much in terms of his success to his AFL experience. His commentary was insightful and critical when need be but otherwise positive without being patronizing. I will be looking forward to Oct 10 for his comments and hopefully some sweet revenge.

16. By alex *24 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I find it funny that everyone that is either A)Not a true cardinals fan or B) Dont know a thing about football…always has something negative to say about Leinart. Does no one not realize that leinarts only started 17 games since his rookie year, 11 of those being his rookie year.Hes been through two entire coaching staff changes and basically has not had a full season to operate under coach whiz’s playbooks! I honestly thought leinart looked good enough to drive us down the field and score.I would find it hard to be expected to be a great qb after only starting 6 games since his rookie season under new coach whiz. And of those 6 games under whiz his starting record is 3-3 (Three of those loses all were lost by only 3 points) What do u think??

17. By alex *24 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I truly believe that the Cards will win games not because of matt leinart, but the way coach whiz adjust our game play to operate effectively with leinart behind center and our running game. look for short passes,running,and lots of screens and rb dump offs.I think everyone is relying on matt to throw deep bombs when that really wont be the case.

18. By Wampag on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

D- I am not trying to beat on Lienhert anymore than what has been said, but after the Fitz hit I feel more and more that he hangs his receivers out to dry and just really cannot seem to function at the speed of the pro level..he just doesnt seem to have it…hope I am very wrong GO CARDS

19. By Brad ONeill on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I think kurt will be a great but i actually think he would be a better play by play guy than a color guy. the man sees the whole field and knows exactly whats happening. I realize it takes a lot of practice to be able to paint the picture for the audience but my guess is he would be great.

I just wish there was a way to sink Pasch and wolfly up with my dvr. If direct tv ever wants to go to the next level they should offer the hometown radio broadcast along with the video. i can imagine most far away fans of the cardinals would absolutely love to here wolfs commentary. I sent that bit about the fat lady singing to some of my friends who had never heard wolfly before and they all loved it even though they weren’t cardinals fans.

20. By Brad ONeill on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

ps is there any truth to the rumor that wiz is going to install a bear trap right next to matties foot in practice to keep Sendlien from stepping on it. This happened multiple times last year to kurt and to see it happening to matt in the preseason makes me wonder if Sendlien isn’t stepping a lot deeper in game sitiuations than he does in practice catching the quarterbacks off guard. someone needs to address this before it costs us a game.

21. By Rugbymuffin on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Who treats the third game of the preseason like it’s *@&%@%! *@&%@%!

My all time favorite coaches quote, and Denny quote.

Priceless.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Alex*24 —

I think that saying anyone who criticizes Leinart isn’t a true fan or doesn’t know the game is going too far. There are legit claims to be made against him for now. There are arguments for or against, but there is little question he is polarizing — there don’t seem to be too many who are middle-of-the-road with him. Personally, and I have said this before many times, I think the Cardinals can win with him. Many people disagree. If you disagree, give me reasons and I will listen. Don’t call people names, or just say he stinks. Back it up. That’s fine too. Everyone is allowed an opinion.

23. By Wampag on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Cris Carter thinks Larry Fitzgerald’s injury could hurt Matt Leinart
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2010 4:26 PM ET
    Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald suffered a sprained MCL on Saturday night after taking a wicked shot to the knee from Texans safety Eugene Wilson as Fitzgerald fan a crossing pattern.

On Monday’s NFL Live, ESPN’s Cris Carter — who has a close relationship with Fitzgerald — suggested that the hit could hurt the relationship between the man who took the shot and the man who threw the ball.

Said Carter, “In the back of his mind — he didn’t tell me this — but do you begin to question the arm strength of Matt Leinart? You’re coming from playing with Kurt Warner, who has the best timing maybe [of] anybody we’ve seen [in] the last 20 years. But when you start getting led into safeties, you begin to question that relationship between my quarterback, ‘Is he gonna get me hurt?'”

Though Carter was careful to point out that Fitzgerald didn’t say that he has concerns about Leinart, Carter said that Fitzgerald did say he’s concerned about taking collisions like the one he took on Saturday night.

So if Fitzgerald doesn’t want to get hit like that and one of his mentors believes that the hit happened because of the quality of the ball thrown by the quarterback, we’ve got a feeling that, while Fitzgerald didn’t say what Carter said, Fitzgerald likely believes it.

24. By COCardinalFan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

How definite is practice closed on Wednesday morning? Planning to come from Denver for Tuesday and Wednesday.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

COC —

It’s closed. It’s as definite as possible.

26. By cardattac on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Dude… Wampag!!!

Are you serious man??? Your gonna tell me you have never seen another QB follow a WR before??? How could one bad hit…. Out of….. I dont even know how many balls thrown to Fitz from Lienart could make him blame his QB. Give ma a break. If our WRs start dropping like flies then you can “maybe” put some of the blame on Leinart. This is a fast game. You cant judge what every player is gonna do. And that goes for every player that has been hurt. Its crap that anyone puts Fitz’s drive to the ball on Lienart. Did Boldin still trusted Warner after the Jets game??? I think so!!! And he was hit by three guys at once.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!

27. By Paul on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, sounds like there will be a lot of popcorn and soda at that ‘closed” practice. :-).

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Paul —

You may very well be correct.

29. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Language, language…( can’t believe you went all @&%@%!*@&%@%! on us )! That said, how does a starting QB AND one with all the attention Matt Leinart has on him right now, NOT talk to the media after a game and then claim it was just a misunderstanding??? Sorry, but that’s kinda weak! I’m in your corner, Matt, but c’mon…you gotta know better than that. Geez, you were the golden boy at USC during college. It ain’t like you don’t know how the spotlight feels…

30. By trigidy22 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Thanks darren for all the work u do for us fans!!!! An always having a answer to are questions!!! even if there off the wall.. your the man! GO BIGRED!

31. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren ( or anyone else who may know ) –

Speaking of Warner doing a few games, do you know if that was Kurt doing some commentary during the Browns-Packers game this weekend??? I swear, it sounded just like him in every way ( voice and personality ) AND he referred to his own playing experiences in the past, so it was definitely an ex-player. Was that him??? I look forward to seeing how he does this season. I’d rather hear him up in the booth than watch him shake his groove thang on Dancing With The Stars!

32. By Javier Montoya on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Doug and Peter,

True

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I don’t think it was Kurt.

34. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Did you hear any of…whoever that was??? Don’t you think it sounded like Kurt? I only saw the last few minutes of that game, I never heard the broadcasters identified, they were never shown, and this guy never spoke of a team that he played for in the past, so…I didn’t have a whole lot to go on. I gotta watch NFL Network for a replay of that one.

35. By ben on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

erik your probably one of those superbowl poser fans that never went to a game at the sun devil stadium so as for the iggles jersey you can go ahead and send me some toilet paper cause the only birds that get love around here are CARDINALS erik=poser

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I did not hear it.

37. By OLdude on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

@ Scott H & Darren – Mike Goldberg (MMA Fame) and Glenn ??? former NYG lineman were the play by play & color…I keep wanting to say Robinson but I don’t think that’s right..

38. By Jeff Gollin on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m surprised the Cards will spend the week in Tennesee after the Titans game rather than before.

Isn’t the usual MO that: you beat up on one another for a week and then play the game? Will the 2 teams work out together after they’be butted heads in a real game? Or will the Cards set up shop and practice alone in Tenn.

So Darren – Do you plan to spend that week in Tenn? Or will you continue to operate from AZ?

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

OLdude —

I thought Scott was talking about another game. The Cards were Goldberg and former Bills/Giants lineman Glenn Parker.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

With a short week (Mon nite in Tenn, Sat nite in Chicago) the Cards decided it wasn’t worth flying all the way home to practice in 110 degrees. They considered both Chicago and Tennessee and Tennessee made the most sense logistically.

I will be with the team the whole time so yes, I will be in Tennessee.

41. By Scott H on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

OLdude –

Thanks for weighing in, but I was referring to the Browns-Packers game this past weekend where I thought I heard Warner. If you get a chance, check that one out and see what you think.

42. By scott023 on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I am proud of matt, 6 of 7 not bad at all. He will get better as the season goes on, the more time out there the better he will be. We need to do this together, stand behind him and all the rest of our team. There are things we need to work on and that is what these preseason games are for. looking at the best fit for who and where. I think coach whiz and this staff of coaches have that covered. The last few years I watched on t.v. as most gave us no credit or very little at all and just look we shut them up and we will again. Thank you darren, your work is tops! Go cards!!

2. Aug 16, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com