Whiz and Leinart speak

Posted by Darren Urban on August 16, 2010 – 12:55 pm

The players are just getting  back to Flagstaff and many won’t even show up to lunch (it isn’t mandatory). But coach Ken Whisenhunt spoke as did Matt Leinart. Much more later, but a few of the highlights:

– Whisenhunt said the offensive production behind the top two quarterbacks “wasn’t good enough.” “I was disappointed we weren’t more effective.” he added.

– Whiz was upset about guys lining up wrong. “A couple of times it was a joke, plays we ran 25 times in 2 weeks, it looked like we were running it the first time.” Mental mistakes were much more prevalent than physical ones.

– Nothing new on WR Larry Fitzgerald’s knee sprain. He will likely sit for a while. “Larry would never take a break, so maybe this is a good thing.” Fitz is expected back for the regular season.

– Leinart said he thinks the offense will get better. “We just don’t want to go backward.”

– No other significant injuries, Whisenhunt said.

– G Deuce Lutui played well and T Herman Johnson played better than he has practiced. Both are trying to reach proper weight, though, and Whisenhunt said both won’t play more until their weight is where it needs to be.

– Whisenhunt praised rookie LB Daryl Washington and QB John Skelton, but both must continue that play to earn moves up the depth chart. They aren’t there yet.

– The Cardinals are going to practice at Arizona State’s practice bubble on Wednesday and Thursday of the final week of the preseason when they get back from Nashville/Chicago and if it goes well, Whisenhunt said they will continue that for a while. “That is something we are talking about,” Whisenhunt said.

– Whisenhunt said Leinart’s not showing up to the postgame press conference was “not an issue” and Leinart said he didn’t think it was a big deal, simply a mistake.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

58 Responses to “Whiz and Leinart speak”

1. By Brian on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t think Matt was bad. He stayed in the pocket, didn’t force anything, and showed great awareness. In Leinart I trust.

2. By Dani on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Leinart has the gall to say, ‘rookie LB Daryl Washington and QB John Skelton, but both must continue that play to earn moves up the depth chart. They aren’t there yet’? OMG what a joke Leinart ….you have NEVER been there. Can’t wait to see the full potential in Washington and Skelton and see Leinart cut!

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Dani –

Whoa there. That was Whisenhunt making that comment. Not sure where you got Matt saying anything about those guys.

4. By MikeG on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Nice blog on Daryl Washington the other
    day. I think too many fans are making a big deal out of Leinart. When there is no game plan for a QB to
    carry out it is very hard to evaluate him. The performance and result of a preseason game is insignicant. For Whiz-the preseason is a showcase
    for rookies and new-personnel. The main thing–no injuries. What did you think of Washington’s speed
    sideline to sideline pretty fast huh??? He has a nose for the ball!!!

5. By Dani on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

My bad, I stand corrected. Still feel the same about Matt.

6. By K-DUB on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Truly Matt tries to earn his offensive line’s respect by treating them to a vacation which most of us fans won’t get, and they can’t protect him or open lanes for Beanie and Hightower.

7. By K-DUB on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

The O-Line was the issue not Matt, but only the media looks at who’s Throwing, Catching, or Carrying.

What did Russ have to say about his starting O-Line?

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

Haven’t talked to Russ yet.

9. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Can everyone just accept that Leinart will not be Kurt Warner? Instead of being critical of Leinart, we should be appreciative of how good Warner actually was. Typical Arizona fans. Instead of respecting the past, we punish the future. I feel bad for Goran Dragic already….

10. By Dani on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Can people just accept the fact that Warner saved our arse because some people thought they saw talent in Matt but made a mistake? Stop warming the bench Matt…the heat needs to be in the red zone!

11. By Mandy on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Please put Brandon Keith somewhere besides a starter……holy cow he’s garbage………….

12. By Mandy on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Oh and one more thing….no matter what happens this year, the Cards WHIFFED big time no getting McNabb….so whatever they get, they deserve…….

13. By trigidy22 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren what do u think of the comments Cris carter said about Fitz an Leinart? Do u think there is anything too that??? Matt did almost kill Fitz!! the corner fell down got up an still made the hit before the ball got there!!!!

14. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone ever remember how bad Kurt sucked when he was off? you guys are forgetting. he had more backward plays than anyone cares to remember. maybe we can say its the line, but our line is supposedly revamped. I call it up to coaching. maybe they should care more about how our players actually perform and not so much how they wigh. Lutui would be a great tackle at his size, lol. Anyways, I know everyone loves Wiz, as do I. but maybe, just maybe, they didnt prepare our starters as well as the Texans did? looked like sloppy fundamentals to me. all around, which points in one direction, coaching.

15. By Joe on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Man people need to calm down lienhart played fine he made the plays his line allowed and the one that were called thats the important thing he cant bomb it to fitzy everydown for a td he runs what the coaches tell him too and if the line allows pressure pretty much .5 seconds after the snap like it did ALOT in that game hes not amking those plays either niether did kurt warner

16. By trigidy22 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I think Fitz is a class act an dont need a Cris Carter speaking for him!!! if it dont workout an Matt kills Fitz thank god Fitz went back to U of Phoenix!!!! So he can work still when he cant walk …

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

I think Cris will always stick up for Fitz.

18. By Brad ONeill on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

brandon keith made one mistake that does not make him garbage. i am sure you were absolutely perfect in everything you did on your job the first day. Don’t forget he was going up against super mario. the guy that is basically the Dockett of the Texans. Yes he got beat when he tangled his feet but there is a reason Mario was in the pro bowl last year for the second time he blows guys up.

19. By Stuart on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree with you, Cris and Randy would both stick up for Fitz any day, Heck Fitz is their protage. LOL

So Darren, heard anything yet about first week cuts? Been Kinda curious.

Also my dad has been a Cardinals Fan since they were the Chicago Cardinals, I’ve loved the Cardinals my entire life so I have a right to say this on behalf of my dad and me. REALLY CARDINALS FANS COME ON LAY OFF MATT ALREADY WE ALL KNOW HE’S NOT KURT WARNER, HECK I DON’T WANT HIM TO BE, I WANNA SEE HIM MAKE A NAME FOR HIMSELF SO GIVE HIM HIS SEASON AND LET’S ROUTE HIM ON THE ENTIRE TIME AND GIVE MATT THE SUPPORT HE DESERVES FROM US AS CARDINALS FANS THEN GO FROM THERE!!!!!!!!!! Geese

Thanks for the great coverage Darren!

GO CARDS 2010 DIVISON CHAMPS BABY!!!!
    then to the superbowl

20. By trigidy22 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren!!! Matt just needs 2 know he is the man!! an get that mojo back like he had his rookie year!! Hope wiz told Matt lets work.. your #1.. are season is in Matt’s hands!!!

21. By R Robles on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Defence Did Great The Offencive Struggled Matt Cant Do Anything With No Time Id Say Move Levi Back To Right Tackle Insert Jeremy Bridges At Left Tackle I Was Very Dissapointed By Keiths Performance

22. By Big Red on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Matt L you go and do your own business and let idiots like Dani and Mandy do there own business, you have more class than they do. Good Luck, Matt.

23. By Brad ONeill on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

one more thing about the mario williams the number one draft pick from 2006. its not like this is the first time he ever got to a quarterback. 39.5 sacks 2 pro bowls 1 alternate pro bowl. hitting the prime of his career. i can forgive a guy for getting whooped in his first start against someone like this.

24. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Did Matt know where the press conference was??? Maybe he just got the wrong room or something…

25. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey, real cards fan -

You better do something about all these “negative” fans, big guy. They’re outta’ control!!! Actually, I would agree that some of them are certainly on the negative side, but ya know what? They invest their emotions in this team just as you and I do, and they have a right to be passionate – regardless of their point of view.

26. By 40yearfan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Matt Lienart is our QB. Get used to it and quit booing him every time he misses a pass. Football is a team sport and you win or lose games as a team, not an individual. Support your team, all of the players, not just a select few. Fan support has been great and probably helped win a home game or two. Please don’t boo your own players.

27. By John on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Is practice still scheduled for 3:05-5:15 tomorrow?
    Thinking about my son and I playing hooky and making the trip for the day.
    Thanks!!

28. By Richard S on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Stuart, I too like your dad have rooted for the Cards since Chicago, at least their last year when it was rumored they’d move to St. Louis and I am impressed that your dad managed to turn you into a Cardinal fan. My son let me down, but then back when he started looking for a football team to root for, the Dolphins had someone named Dan Marino that looked pretty good. I did drive the 700 miles or whatever it is between my house and Phoenix Stadium to see Matt’s first game and took my son and he did say as much fun as he had that day, that if he lived there, he’d probably buy season tickets.

29. By JohnC118 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

DRC#1FAN I agree with you 100%. I never think they are as prepared as the other team. Same thing again this time.

30. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Everyone just relax. Preseason football is the most over blown, over analyzed and pointless thing we have going in pro sports. There is a reason that it is seriously being considered to being cut from four games to two. Football is a process, anybody who has played knows that the carry over from a practice situation to a game situation is completely different. And when you have two new starters and a third switching positions on your offensive line, it’s not surprising there were some struggles. THAT”S WHY IT’S CALLED EXHIBITION! You work out the kinks before the real games start. No one is disputing that the first team offense needs to perform better but ease up people, they ran maybe 20 plays together. The sky is not falling, just shut up and have faith. You got my back on this one Darren?

31. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Wasnt really impressed with both Matt and Derek’s play in that game, now Skelton showed something in his first outing, grant it, it was against 2nd and 3rd string players and he is still learning but cant wait to see what else he does in the preseason.

Washington’s has some great speed and instinct! Great draft pick!

If anyone missed the game I think it will be re-aired on the NFL network tomorrow?

32. By A on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Can anyone tell me why Cardinals fans hate Leinart?? Why don’t we wait and see what happens before you talk so bad about him? He hasn’t played in a game that was gameplanned for him in 2 years. If you like the Cardinals then you should be cheering for him. At least give the guy a chance. We start the season 0-5 and he plays terrible I will jump right in there and say I was wrong but it’s pretty hard to discount him w/o giving him a real chance.

That being said I thought he looked pretty decent on Saturday. *How many times have we seen Warner get stepped on and fall while trying to hand the ball off?? Not much he could do on that first drive. The other drives I thought he ran the offense pretty well. I’m excited to see it progress with more plays the next two weeks and then in St. Louis!!

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

John –

As of right now, yes.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Chirp –

I’d say you don’t want to over-analyze, yes.

35. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

A -

Excellent point, and one that I don’t think a lot of people recognize. The week of practice leading up to a game – for any team – is geared toward installing a game plan for that particular opponent. And that game plan is installed with the expected starters in mind. Needless to say, it’s been awile since the Cardinals planned a game plan around Matt Leinart as the starter. And that’s exactly why all of these “experts” just need to back off of their declarations that he can’t play until he’s REALLY had a chance to show whether he can or he can’t. By the same token, I can’t guarantee anyone that he definitely can play. I’ve gotta see it for myself. But I’m willing to wait and give the guy a chance. And seven throws in one pre-season game isn’t exactly the “chance” I had in mind…

36. By Judy on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Big Red.They don’t even read the statements well enough to make a reply without it being all wrong.And as far as McNabb,Why would we want one of Philly’s old players?GoBigRed,.

37. By ZerotoHero on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Leinart showed nothing in the forms of improvement. He failed to put a touchdown on the board in Tennessee last year and he continues to have us in “not so good” scoring position. Can he get the offense into scoring position. I do not trust in him until he shows he can be trusted. Hope the defense can find a way to score for us. It would be nice if Fitz and Leinart could get on a page to win but I don’t see Leinart as the one to throw the money ball to our money receiver. Carry us defense please!

P.S. – Rolle is making the Giants look good right now… Let’s go Rhodes!!!

38. By ben on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

darren
    seems like im not the only one with strong feeling about #7. any who do you think the thirds time will be a charm for tago? he and williams moved well out there together

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

I assume you mean Pago. I think Togafau has a good chance at the roster. He may have made it last year had he not gotten hurt in the preseason.

40. By SteveD CO on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

A little concerned by Matt’s presser today. He stated he hadn’t watched the film yet. Dockett tweeted that Saturday night he was wacthing tape and commented on 58s play.

I’m just a fan and I have watched the 1st half 3 times already. (I know, I need the season to start)

I’m not down on at Matt at all in fact I think he has shown more than many of the QBs on teams predicted to win their divisions i.e Sanchez, Henne but starting only 1 game last year you would think he would want to be much more of a student.

41. By Carddan on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, try not to be discouraged by some fans’ posts. The vast majority remain silent until Sundays. Those with strong emotional feelings towards a player are a lot more likely to be outspoken. This fan base knows that Matt Leinart is our QB. We may have different opinions about how successful we think he will be, but we support him and root for the team. A few are convinced they know the future, most of us think you have to play the game.

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2010 | Reply

Carddan –

No discouragement here. Again, I understand everyone has opinions. No way everyone will be on the same page.

43. By OLdude on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

JUST FOR THE RECORD – Matt’s rating was 95 Kurt’s rating was 68 or so for the first pre-season game —- So get off Matt ! …. I agree with Brad O about Brandon Keith and the fact that other than the one play he did pretty well and will get better…..ooooohhhh !! MATT missed the presser! END OF THE WORLD!! Geez save some of that hate for the Niners or Cows I still say Max Hall is gonna leapfrog on the depth chart

44. By plm13 on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

WOW, I read some of these and wonder how do these people make a living? Are they allowed to procreate? Because I actually feel like mankind has taken a step backwards intellectually. #1. Preseason is time to see talent and mesh a bit. Nothing more. Warner is gone, live with it. He wasn’t God but a solid QB. Either people are making stuff up, living in the past or bashing the future. I get that 70% of people are Card haters because they are not from AZ and the other 19% root for whatever team happens to be winning that season. But to bash players, say McNabb was the answer and keep saying how Lienart sucks shows just how idiotic people are. The Cards have a owner that is dedicated (Bidwell jr.) awesome front office, Great coaches and most of all, TALENT! I have been a fan since 1988 and have loved the last 3 years and psyched for this year. Even if Lienart is average we still win the division. But Skelton and Washington shows they are building the future as well. This is a great time to be a Cards fan people. ENJOY IT!

45. By Jeff Gollin on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

The big thing about the slow start and then Anderson’s turnovers is that, for the first 50 – 65% of the game, the offense was seldom on the field for more than a few plays.

Not only was it hard to establish much tempo or rhythm; it also gave the offensive coaches & players very little tape to work with (& learn from).

46. By RED BIRD 66 on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I give Whineart two more games to play himself out of a starting job. I think Anderson has already sealed his fate as he doesn’t know what touch is as he is very proud of his strong arm on those 3 yard passes. I truly believe that Skelton will be the starter at some point by Whiney being hurt or simiply just not getting the job done. Would like to see Skelton with the 1st unit to dispell the “well he’s playing with the 3rd string statement”. We are not going anywhere with #7 this year and he may get all the WR hurt at this rate. Play the rookie.

47. By Dani on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I am an Arizona native and the CARDS are definitely my team. I am not being negative when I say Matt is not playing well. It’s a fact, Matt has blown it every year he has been drafted. Matt has been the starting QB from the get-go but can’t pull it off. There has been NO IMPROVEMENT out of him. Without a good QB, you don’t have much of a team even with all our talent! I was bummed until Saturday with the surprise of Skelton! WOW! A QB! In my opinion, QBs have to be cut and Lienart should be one of them. Skelton is awesomeness among other rookies like Washington! Let’s Go Cards!!

48. By Dani on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Redbird 66-

AMEN!

49. By Peter in Canada on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

plm13 -

Well said (apart from the first two sentences).

50. By dan watts on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I rank our receivers like this – 1.Fitz 2.Breaston 3.Williams 4.Doucet 5.Komar 6.Roberts 7.Jones 8.Mougey.
    Williams is one of the great steals of the draft. His most impressive play in the game was not his perfect route-running or his great hands, but his shutdown block at the goal line which enabled Jason Wright to score. Williams tied up his man for over three seconds.
    Komar will prove to be a great possession receiver. He’s more the heir-apparent to Boldin going over the middle than Doucet.
    Jim Dray showed good hands and mobility and is reportedly a good blocker. He and Spach are holding down the fort right now pretty well.
    Leinart has a lot of talent, it’s leadership that’s the issue. Hall has less talent than the others, but he’s a natural leader and he’s very disciplined and smart. It’s an interesting situation. Skelton looks like he has the talent and the leadership. If Anderson keeps throwing missles instead of footballs, we’ll be seeing ricochet-interceptions all year.

51. By Kyle on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you know if the practices at the ASU bubbble will be open to the public at all?

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Kyle –

53. By clssylssy on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

It’s preseason so chill–I don’t think we won any preseason games last year (could be wrong, apparently they weren’t that memorable), it doesn’t matter since it’s only preseason. Warner wasn’t always perfect, had his off games and I can remember wishing they would put Leinart in on a few occasions that were ugly. I was impressed that we had a sell-out crowd for a preseason game–unheard of with most teams–and of the talent we’ve managed to sign. There was a day when players only came to the Cards as last resort and stepping stone to better things. It should be a good year. Go Matt, Go Cards!

54. By Jerry on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

I know that Skelton is a rookie and his first year on the NFL field but he has shown in just one quarter a better porformance that leinheart has in the last 3 years that we have had him. Yeah its a tough year ahead since we no longer have Warner and thats Matt downfall. Skelton is fresh, eager and accurated and he isn’t competing with Warner like Matt is. Skelton should be 1st string and show to him his mistakes so they can be corrected.

55. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Jerry –

Unfortunately, I think you are off base here.

56. By OLdude on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

DARREN – I know you try to be a diplomatic gentleman when you have to answer questions that are clearly ridiculous or respond to statements equally ridiculous so I will be glad to do what you shouldn’t……..JERRY !! –ARE YOU NUTS?? LOL -You base our opinion on a brief albeit good appearance in the FIRST preseason game and you haven’t even seen MAX HALL yet? Some of us think HE should be the no.1 !! (LOL)

2. Aug 16, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  3. Aug 17, 2010: Skelton, Hall battle for Arizona’s No. 3 QB job – The Associated Press | Best Flagstaff Restaurant