The players are just getting back to Flagstaff and many won’t even show up to lunch (it isn’t mandatory). But coach Ken Whisenhunt spoke as did Matt Leinart. Much more later, but a few of the highlights:
– Whisenhunt said the offensive production behind the top two quarterbacks “wasn’t good enough.” “I was disappointed we weren’t more effective.” he added.
– Whiz was upset about guys lining up wrong. “A couple of times it was a joke, plays we ran 25 times in 2 weeks, it looked like we were running it the first time.” Mental mistakes were much more prevalent than physical ones.
– Nothing new on WR Larry Fitzgerald’s knee sprain. He will likely sit for a while. “Larry would never take a break, so maybe this is a good thing.” Fitz is expected back for the regular season.
– Leinart said he thinks the offense will get better. “We just don’t want to go backward.”
– No other significant injuries, Whisenhunt said.
– G Deuce Lutui played well and T Herman Johnson played better than he has practiced. Both are trying to reach proper weight, though, and Whisenhunt said both won’t play more until their weight is where it needs to be.
– Whisenhunt praised rookie LB Daryl Washington and QB John Skelton, but both must continue that play to earn moves up the depth chart. They aren’t there yet.
– The Cardinals are going to practice at Arizona State’s practice bubble on Wednesday and Thursday of the final week of the preseason when they get back from Nashville/Chicago and if it goes well, Whisenhunt said they will continue that for a while. “That is something we are talking about,” Whisenhunt said.
– Whisenhunt said Leinart’s not showing up to the postgame press conference was “not an issue” and Leinart said he didn’t think it was a big deal, simply a mistake.
Tags: Daryl Washington, Deuce Lutui, Herman Johnson, John Skelton, Ken Whisenhunt, Larry Fitzgerald, Matt Leinart, training camp
Posted in Blog | 58 Comments »