More on the accident and Whiz tidbits

Posted by Darren Urban on August 17, 2010 – 12:17 pm

Safety Aaron Rouse is back in Flagstaff after his car accident yesterday but he will not be practicing after suffering whiplash. Safety Rashad Johnson, who was driving, said the car in front of him had a rear tire blow out. That car began to fishtail and actually flipped a few times in front of the Cardinals. Johnson — who had never been in an accident before — was able to avoid that car, but in the process hit another vehicle.

“It was scary,” said Johnson, who still practiced Monday. “I was lucky to walk out feeling OK without any side effects besides being a little spooked.”

Johnson said it was about 75 miles out of Flagstaff, so speeds were around the 75-mile-an-hour limit — the normal traffic, but awful quick when all of a sudden someone flips in front of you. Johnson said so many teammates ended up stopping he couldn’t even name them all, although Johnson got in the ambulance with Rouse as they went up to Flagstaff. “It was a freak thing,” Johnson said.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt knows it’s not an easy drive to Flagstaff from the Valley but “it can happen from our (Tempe) facility to our homes,” he said. Being cautious on the 100-plus mile drive is “something we talk about all the time.”

As for other things Whiz touched on at lunch:

– He said the rehab of linebacker Gerald Hayes (back) is progressing well and there is a hope Hayes can return soon. Whiz said he wouldn’t rule out Hayes coming back for the start of the regular season, but “I wouldn’t say it is probable either. The next couple weeks is critical.” Hayes has missed so much time, you’d think he’ll need a chunk of practice time before he is ready to play in a game.

– Wide receiver depth is sketchy right now. Ed Gant (foot) may come back this afternoon on a limited basis. Larry Fitzgerald (knee) and Early Doucet (abdomen) have also been out. Whiz said the team is hoping to make it through, but if the non-Fitz injuries linger, there is a chance the Cards will have to make a move.

– He said guard Alan Faneca is getting better in pass protection. “There has been a lot of talk about the demise of Alan Faneca, and I haven’t really seen that,” Whiz said. “Have I seen him get beat in one-on-one pass protections in camp? Sure I have. But Calais (Campbell) is becoming a pretty good pass rusher.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “More on the accident and Whiz tidbits”

1. By BigAl on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear the positive evaluation about Faneca. I still believe our offensive and defensive lines will be our strength. My question has to do with Leinart, not surprisingly Darren. Does he display a general confidence in and around camp? His behavior reeks of immaturity. Him missing his first post game interview? Sorry, but most folks aren’t buying that one. My guess is he was called out by teammates, and didn’t take it well. That chagrined, defensive, slumped, post game presser? He barely made eye contact with media! I’m trying to root for this kid because of his physical ability, but if his problems are between the ears that will not be fixed in one season. What is your take, Darren?

2. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Apologize for being crass about the accident yesterday. I travel that road frequently and from Sunset Point to Black Canyon City is a treacherous stretch.
    Possible to bring back Deryn Bowser and/or Juamorris Stewart at WR for camp bodies?
    And I believe the Ram’s Stephen Jackson had the same procedure as Hayes, which if everyone was the same, would have him back around the start of the season.

3. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I love Calais. He was on the radio this morning. I hope the Cards make him a career guy. he said his goal was to lead the league in sacks. He is gonna have to race Dockett and Porter for that title. I’m so glad they are all on our team. lol.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

BigAl —

My take is that Matt was very successful in college doing things one way. We’ll see if it translates to the NFL.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

Possible, but if you bring back one, someone else on the roster has to go.

6. By Rich on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Any discussion in camp about moving Reggie Wells to right tackle and slotting Deuce back in at right guard? I’m not a big Deuce fan in general, but the kid can play when he puts his mind to it. If we’re gonna keep him….why have him sit the bench? Reggie did pretty well at RT a couple years ago. Grimm always says the best 5 start. So, who are the best 5?

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

Why, that’s what training camp is for.

Deuce isn’t doing anything until he hits his target weight.

8. By Scott H on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Man,…star players injured…car accidents….do we have a black cloud hanging over us right now???

9. By K-DUB on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Do you think that if the Cards can’t release A. Roberts , O. Jones , and S. Williams they will carry a six receiver slot like last season when Lance Long made the roster as #6

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

Always a chance. It’ll depend on who is hurting at the end of camp and what kind of roster spots are open.

11. By Richard S on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I think the Niner’s have a black cloud over them right now. 2008 #1 pick not showing up and getting traded for a 6th round pick. 2nd string running back seeking the meaning of life and leaving the team. Signing a concussed running back and the next day reading an article that Lou Gehrig might not have died from Lou Gehrig’s disease, but instead as a result of concussions when he was a high school running back. I had a fraternity brother who they say died of ALS, but after the recent medical findings, maybe he too died from concussions. He was a hard driving person, a 4.0 GPA student in Mechanical Engineering and starting Fullback on the varsity university football team, Academic All-American. So many scholarships, he drove a Corvette. I don’t think the Cards are doing that badly.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you’ve said all along that Training Camp is for determining about 5 roster spots. Mostly everything else is probably locked in.
    What, IYO, are the postions? About 18 guys have to be cut, not counting PS or PUP.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

I’d have to study the roster. Maybe that’s something I can look at, but usually I wait a little bit. Injuries can always change the equation.

14. By Jesse Robles on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I get the Vibe that Ken doesn’t like Matt, just the Vibe I get.

15. By Chad on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any word about the injuries, if any, about the car that flipped in the car accident? Hopefully whiplash for Rouse is the only injury but flipping a car going at highway speeds is extremely dangerous.

16. By Brad ONeill on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

im with richard on this. our injuries are thankfully minor compared to what some others are dealing with. A car wreck can be far worse than whiplash. A strained mcl is far better than reconstructive knee surgery. i was very impressed with the inside and outside linebackers and safeties. The people that did get beat were young and inexperienced and learned from their mistakes.

the problem in the run game appears to be tje running backs not trusting the holes yet.

if we get out of training camp with this cloud being the worst storm we see i will be ecstatic..

17. By Mack on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

I know this is a Q for 2 years from now but, you think the cards are intersted in ASU MLB Vontaze Burfict? He is only a sohpomore so i doubt he would come out of college this year. I just love the way he plays :D.

18. By 24cardsfan90 on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    Off topic but need to know. Took the day off work tomorrow to see two practices, now the first is closed. WTH?

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Chad —

I don’t know any other information other than what Rashad told me.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

Let’s make sure Burfict makes it through ASU OK and doesn’t stay in the doghouse like it seems he has been.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

24cards —

That’s why you’ve got to 1) check the schedule daily and 2) read the blog. I made mention of that first thing Monday morning. The schedule is always fluid.

22. By aaaaudio on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

I have seen the preseason game a few times now. I have noticed on a number of plays the line is not gellin’. Faneca pulls and really does no good on one play, Both Tackles getting beat by Williams bad on separate plays. Leinart has no chance if these players don’t step it up quickly in the passing game. Whiz was callin all underneath passing plays I guess to get Leinart into a groove but when it is 3 and 6 he calls a crossing underneath route ? Why not go at least 6 yards with the play calling? Concerned on both sides of the ball really. Washington was the real highlight. Trying to stay positive but that first game was really sobering.

23. By juan e on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

, l get the same vibes. matt played dam good under dennis tho he was just
    out of the college ranks

24. By Scott H on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Richard S & Brad –

Well, alright! Thanks for cheering me up with those other perspectives. I really do feel better!

25. By Scott H on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Interesting thoughts on Whiz and how he MIGHT feel about Leinart. Of course, he’ll never say so to anyone but this has to be a diificult adjustment for Whiz. What else could it be but hard when you have to adjust from the past couple of years with a consumate pro, a master at reading defenses, and the deadly accuracy of Kurt Warner to a young, unproven, and still quite erratic Matt Leinart? I really think that whatever “vibes” we may get from Whiz may have more to do with missing what he had with Warner than how he feels about Matt. One thing is for sure – if the team is winning games with Leinart as the QB, Whiz will be more than happy. I will be, too.

26. By Jesse Robles on Aug 17, 2010 | Reply

Every time some one brings up Matt Leinart they bring up Kurt Warner, Matt Leinart isn’t Kurt Warner. I say let’s get Matt 22 throws out there not just Derek Anderson. Everyone needs the work.

27. By BigAl on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

I watched the game several times over as well aaaudio, but came to a different conclusion. The mistakes were all mental. Keith displayed poor technique on one sack, but held Williams out the remainder of the game. Williams got his other sack on the other side by beating the tight end. Faneca held up in both run and pass. He didn’t even allow a QB pressure, though he did get knocked to his knees on several occasions, he kept on blocking. Wells did had some difficulty in the run blocking. On that 3rd and 6 underneath route to Roberts, check out the LB. He had a WR (Breaston) run across his face, but he completely ignored him. He must have been reading Leinarts eyes. Ideally, that play was a YAC first down. Levi Brown gave up ground sometimes, but managed Mario ok. This is a former Defensive POY, so thats something. I agree with the earlier comment that the RBs were not confident in picking their holes. BTW, on the early fumble the TE completely missed the OLB. That play would have been blown up regardless of the fumble or not. Cant comment on the entire game, but cheers to Iwebama, who really stood out on film. Darren, maybe you guys could open up a website section called film study, for us fans more interested in breaking down individual performance based upon proof rather than emotion or conjecture.

28. By 24cardsfan90 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Another question regarding camp. If it’s raining tonight, do they still practice at the high school, or do they go back to the skydome?

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

24cards —

Not sure about that.

30. By clssylssy on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Seems like more than a few fans are picking up the vibe that coach isn’t that fond of Matt which Matt probably picks up too. It’s really hard to produce in that situation and I think that if Matt had started w/coach Whiz we would see a different QB (he’s not all that bad). D. Green really messed things up for Matt and I think if he ever hooks up with his old coach from USC in Seattle we will see an entirely different performance and really regret it.

2. Aug 17, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com