On a chilly night at Coconino

Posted by Darren Urban on August 18, 2010 – 9:42 pm

The Cards just finished up their last night practice of camp. The crowd at Coconino High School wasn’t as big as the first night practice. The intensity wasn’t quite at the same level either. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said at lunch what he wanted to see fewer mistakes and some plays made. There were plays made, mostly by the defense. Cornerback Marshay Green picked off Derek Anderson in the end zone to finish the practice. There were a handful of “sacks” too (remember, no tackling).

Wide receiver Max Komar stood out, and quarterback Max Hall did drill a 15-yard TD pass to tight end Dominique Byrd through defenders LB Chris Johnson and S Rashad Johnson, but for the most part it was a defensive night. Rookie John Skelton also  had a tough sequence, as he twice turned the opposite way of the running back in one drive, botching both handoffs.

LB Reggie Walker (hamstring) was back in uniform but limited. LB Will Davis sat out to “calm down” some right knee soreness. The rest of the injury list was short: WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee), TE Ben Patrick (knee), WR Early Doucet (abdomen), LB Gerald Hayes (PUP-back) and LB O’Brien Schofield (PUP-knee).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “On a chilly night at Coconino”

1. By Scott on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Is it a greater mistake to miss true talent or or to ignore the talent you have drafted to validate the early picks you landed. It is obvious you got a couple gems at WR. Don’t let stubborn pride blind your eyes. #3 pick aint ever gonna be as good as the other 2. I always said the skill of actually catching the ball was overlooked. Do not let Max Hall slip away either!

2. By Insight on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

How was the rest of Skelton’s drive besides the botched running plays?
    Also do you think Marshay Green is making a name for himself to be considered for more playing time through monday and the rest of the preseason?

3. By Eric on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

What is your opinion on Max Hall? Is he doomed to the practice squad? I know the coaching staff puts alot of faith in NFL experience, but Anderson has to be one of the most inaccurate passers in the NFL, and Hall should get a chance with us.

4. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Komar and Stephen Williams make the team.

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

I don’t know if he is “doomed,” but is the practice squad that terrible?

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Insight —

Skelton didn’t have the greatest night. And as for Marshay, as I mentioned, he has had a solid camp and coaches have noticed.

7. By desert rat on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Just to inform you out-of-state fans, our chilly night here in Flagstaff got almost all the way down to 70 degrees (brrrr).

Golly, it’s about time we break out our sweaters.

8. By Bryan on Aug 18, 2010 | Reply

Has anyone asked Fitz about his boy Chris Carters comments??I know I heard Leinart about it…Is there any thing to it?

9. By Mack B McFarlane on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Despite Skelton’s good performance in the preseason game, he seems to have been pretty average compared to Max Hall throughout OTA’s and and Training Camp. Is it possible that, if Hall plays, and plays well, in the coming preseason matches, that Hall will be on the roster at 3rd string and Skelton will find himself on the practice squad?

Cheers

10. By clint on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Well, sounds like the movies really improved the team.

11. By TucsonTim on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

“Cornerback Marshay Green picked off Derek Anderson in the end zone to finish the practice”

what’s it going to take to finish the Anderson (3 million that we could have used on McNabb’s salary…sorry, couldn’t help myself)

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

rat —

I’m not going to sit here and say it was below zero, but it was below 70 last night.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

I think Skelton, as a draft pick, makes this team.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Clint —

You may be right. I think we should fire the entire coaching staff right now. They clearly are out of their league.

15. By Ben on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

It seems like Doucet is ALWAYS hurt. If I recall correctly he was hurt when we drafted him. What is up with this guy? If he cannot stay healthy, which I can’t recall when he has ever been healthy for a span, is it going to affect his spot on the depth chart?

Dont ask him how he is doing Darren, I wouldnt want you breathing on him to break anything. LOL….

16. By Brad ONeill on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson was a Pro bowl quarterback, somehow he lost something along the way and the coaches believe they might be able to find it and restore it.

this video is a good summary of what we are looking at with anderson. worry, inconsistency but then brilliance. The CArdinals are betting they can coach the mistakes away or at least minimize them and get the guy that leads his team to victory with a deadly arm and tremendous courage in the pocket.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

Obviously, Early needs to get healthy. He has always been banged up in camp. Let’s see where we are in the regular season.

18. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Here’s hoping most of you never get called to serve on a jury. It amazed me how high everyone was on Roberts when we drafted him (no way anybody could have seen him at the Citadel) and now, after one preseason game, he’ll never be as good as a couple of other unproven rookies?

Get rid of Anderson in favor of Hall, who we have yet to see in an NFL game? Complain about a coaching staff that took us from chronic mediocrity to instant respectability overnight?

I hate to think of what the reaction will be if we hear about Beanie or Hightower not hitting the right gap – cries for Alfonso Smith to start?

19. By Patrick on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Darren do you think it’s possible that Max Hall finds a spot on this team IF Derek Anderson doesn’t continue to perform the way that Ken Whisenhunt wants him to in games. Judging from what I saw he really wasn’t coordinated in the way our system operates, even Whisenhunt attested to that. Sure it was only one game, but I think we were all expecting a better performance out of him. In fairness though he did have some pass dropped/tipped, but most of his throws where forced into coverage when he had other receivers (who were open) to throw to. As for John Skelton he still is a big unknown, but after seeing that performance I think he deserve at least more playing time if anything. Max Hall seems a long way from getting a roster spot seeing how he wasn’t drafted, his size and lacks the big arm most QB have in the NFL. I still think he might be good chance to make the team considering he has great accuracy. I don’t know QB is still a huge question mark that needs to be answered early in the season…

20. By nor cal cards fan on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Well here we go again with Leinart, Urb. Good ol’ Kent Somers reported this morning that ML is playing “tentatively, like he’s afraid to make a mistake.He’s taking check down options more than he should, and he needs to loosen up and play with a more confident attitude.” These are all direct quotes from Kent in his blog. Granted, he made it clear that this was his opinion, but i think Kent has been covering football and been around the Cardinals organization long enough to know what he’s talking about. I’m starting to get really concerned with this situation. It appears to me that the benching Matt received when Kurt took over has left him gun shy and afraid to take chances because he’s scared to get benched again, and we all know a QB in the NFL can’t play like that. What has happened? I thought the fact that he was “The Man” now and didn’t have to look over his shoulder and worry about his job anymore now that Kurt isn’t here was supposed to allow him to relax, be himself, and just play his game? The same scenario from when he was named the starter over Matt Cassel at USC and started playing like a Heisman when he knew he was “The Man.” I know it’s still early in the preseason, but he needs to pick it up quick or his era in AZ, or lack thereof, is going to be over really soon. We all know Whiz doesn’t play around, he will play the best guy. What is your take on his camp so far? Why can’t he loosen up? Thanks for your input as always.

21. By Deveau on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Mike,

I’d like to point out, and maybe Darren can be kind enough to link it for me, that on the day of the draft I questioned Roberts as a pick. That being said, I was willing to sit and watch, willing to be proven wrong. Into training camp we go, and I haven’t seen the things needed to be proven wrong. I’m not on the Roberts bandwagon. A receiver that can’t catch is useless, period. But I’m not on the coaching staff, so my opinion will be just that, an opinion. If he does what is needed and makes the team, I’ll cheer for his success, as it leads to organizational success.

Speaking of receivers, do you feel they will carry six this year again, and if you had to list them now would they differ from…Fitz, Breaston, Doucet, Williams, Jones, and Roberts?

Kind regards,

Cris

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal —

Whiz said today he doesn’t think Matt is playing cautiously. I think Matt has had an OK camp. There is still time to go. Outwardly, he hasn’t lost any confidence. If he does need to loosen up, I’m not sure what it would take. In the end, it’s probably best to let it play out. Most of us have no control over the situation, as much as some might like to have it.

23. By OLdude on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

With 3 more “exhibition” games to play why is there such a rush to judgment on the players on the roster? DARREN – when are the next mandatory cuts scheduled? I think maybe we’re all being a little hasty about all the guys still on the roster… what is the purpose of the pre-season if not to help sort ot all these unanswered questions ?? These “dress rehearsals” are perfect for answering them. For example, how can anyone possibly say the QB situation is A-B-C-D when we haven’t even seen D and C played against the 3’s?……know what I mean? LOL

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

If they carry six, those would be the six, I believe.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

OLDude —

The roster goes from 80 to 75 after the third game and down to 53 after the fourth game.

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Deveau – If you can determine somebody’s ability in the amount of time that you’ve seen Roberts, more power to you. I’d like to see how he does in the remaining three preseason games. Just for the sake of going back in time, there was a guy in S.F. who dropped quite a few passes in his first season and I don’t think anyone would question what he went on to accomplish.

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

They aren’t about to dump him. But if you were here, you would see the same thing. It’s not just been in the one game. Coaches have noticed.

And for someone thinking I am premature in my evaluation, I’d think you’d want to hold off comparing Roberts to Jerry Rice.

28. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Unless you’re writing under the alias “Deveau” my comment wasn’t directed at you. The comparison to Rice was only that the media in SF was questioning that pick as well during his first preseason when he struggled with hanging on to the ball.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

My bad. I read “Darren” and not “Deveau.” Still, Roberts needs to pick it up quickly. He’ll make this roster I believe, but I think everyone has been shocked at his inconsistent hands.

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

You’re the one reporter I’ll seek out when I’m looking to hear what actually happened. If I were going to get into a debate with someone about who is doing what it wouldn’t be with you.

Roberts has been inconsistent, and I think it’s clear that he’s pressing. But while Deveau sounds like an educated fan I do have to take issue with him referring to Roberts as a receiver who can’t catch. Way too early to make that observation. Now if he continues it over the next three games there would be a more valid basis for that argument.

Too many snap judgments in the preseason from those of us in the stands.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

Agreed.

And I apologize. You are always well thought out (and one of the few that attaches his full name to his comments). I’m tired and cranky and apparently not seeing very well. It’s been a long camp.

32. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

No worries, as always your up-to-the-minute coverage is greatly appreciated.

Now, you and Roberts go get your eyes checked (or some sleep) and everything should be back on track…

33. By Brad ONeill on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren this is why the writers should have to make the treck up camelback mountain. we dont need you petering out this early. John Lott is going to have you hand copying war and peace if you dont show more stamina soon.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

I went up last summer. Logistics didn’t work out this past summer.

Funny, part of my problem today is that I was up at 6:30 to go work out. Gotta make sure I go to bed sooner.

35. By card62 on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Mike

Not to pile on you about Roberts, but I was also not happy with this pick. I wanted us to trade our pick for Teddy Ginn. Yes I know he drops passes also, but he is soooooo good on special teams and I could see him extending the field for us to open things up for Fitz and Breaston or I wanted a TE Hernandez out of Florida. I agree with you that it is too early to dump Roberts but I do not like what I am reading about the kid. Like you I hope he turns out to be a Rice and not a Clyde Duncan. ( I am going on my memory alone but I believe we drafted Duncan out of Tennessee many years ago in the first round and he was a bust,)
    We have two star receivers out for Monday’s Prime Time game so this will be a very good chance for us Cardinal fans to see which receivers can help our team. Go Cards!!!

36. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Card62,

Impressive reference to Clyde Duncan, but that dates back to their days in STL.

You’d really trade a 3rd round pick for Ginn? There’s a guy who has proven over the past three years that he can’t catch the proverbial cold. Give Roberts more of a chance than that. Since I apparently can’t find anyone who originally praised the pick responding right now (which is odd considering the overwhelmingly positive response it got at the time), tell me what you didn’t like about it? I still have a hard time believing that anyone other than a professional scout watched the Citadel play.

37. By Carddan on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren is tired and cranky from being at camp…I think he should be cut to make room on the roster for someone with better hand eye coordination. He’s been dropping way too many puns this pre-season.

38. By card62 on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Mike

I love Ted Ginn in the return game and his speed can definitely stretch the field. I hate the 49ers, but I feel he makes them stronger. I think he could catch 30 to 50 for us this season and average 20+ yards as we could play to his strengths and send him deep outside a lot and not run him over the middle. I think our team is built to win now and you know what you get with him good and bad and he can open the field for Larry, Steve and Early. Ginn is also young. My second choice would have been drafting TE Hernandez out of Florida, I live in the southeast so I watch a lot of their games. I am not a fan of Florida but this Hernandez kid just always impressed me making plays in a great conference and always showing up for the big games. I think he could have been a safety net for Leinart and the last two tight ends I remember for us is J. V. Cain and Jackie Smith. We just seem to not care about having a threat at tight end. I would not be surprised to see Wells, Lutui, or big Herman play some tight end for us this year. Roberts I did not know at all but he played small time college football so you have no idea if he can play in the NFL or not and could be a couple of year project. I do not have all the answers and did say I hope Roberts proves me wrong and I still hope this is the case and he has a great career with us, but I am already worried Mike based upon what others who have seen him in action are writing. Especially for this year, Go Roberts as I hope you have a long career with us and go Cards beat the 49ers!

2. Aug 19, 2010: Around the NFC West: Leroy Hill update « Acrylic Sports