Early will rest, battling the Titans and other stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on August 19, 2010 – 1:02 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt talked at lunch (it’s weird having so few morning practices, like again today). Among the topics:

– Wide receiver Early Doucet only has a “slim” chance at playing in Tennessee with his sore abdomen. Whiz said the Cards are just being cautious, and are going to be even more so with Larry Fitzgerald (knee) on the shelf. “Early could push through but you don’t know the long-term ramifications,” Whisenhunt said. “Our job is to make sure the main three guys (Fitz, Doucet and Steve Breaston) are available for the regular season.”

– Whisenhunt said after further review, he felt Wednesday night’s practice wasn’t bad. The Cards were throwing things in defensively that the offense hadn’t seen, he said, which was one of the reasons the defense was ahead. He also intentionally made things tougher for the offense. “It was a much better practice on tape than what the feel was,” Whisenhunt acknowledged.

– The Cards have three games in 11 days starting Monday, but Whisenhunt said it won’t be a huge deal. He did say it was important the team was staying in Nashville after the Tennessee game since the team wouldn’t have gotten back until the wee hours of Tuesday and then would have had to fly right back out three days later.

– The Cards are tentatively scheduled to practice with the Titans next Wednesday in the late afternoon in Tennessee and then have their own practice Thursday starting in the late morning.

– Whiz noted wide receiver Mike Jones made a couple of plays Wednesday night and it will be interesting to see, assuming Doucet is out with Fitz, if Jones can make any headway on the depth chart. Whiz wouldn’t commit to Stephen Williams running first unit in the Titans’ game either, saying he wanted to see where Ed Gant was in his recovery from a bad foot.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Early will rest, battling the Titans and other stuff”

1. By MikeG on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Nice blogs the last couple days!
    What do you see so far in camp from Alan Branch
    and Gabe Watson??? I know with 3 exhibition games
    left it might be too early top determine their status, but have they turned any heads so far???

2. By Jake on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will the practices in Tennessee be open to the public? Also, do you know what the (rough) format of the joint practice will be? Thanks!

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

They have impressed early. They need to keep it up.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Jake —

Don’t know how the practice will look. And I doubt the practices will be open, but I will look into it.

5. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    This is relating to other stuff but I haven’t been able to access NFL.com for the past 24 hours, do you know if their site has been down or is it just me?
    Mahalo!

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

I think it’s you. I was just on there an hour ago.

7. By Deveau on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

I was curious as to the NT position, do the Cards keep B-Rob, Watson, and Williams when they solidify their 53?

Kind regards,

Cris

BTW, thank you for the effort in going above and beyond in answering my questions.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

They may only keep six defensive linemen. Williams for sure, Campbell, Dockett, Iwebema (very good on ST). That may leave Watson, Branch and B-Rob battling for two spots.

9. By Bryan on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,I’ve been hearing on some local talk shows that the new slimmer Beanie Wells doesn’t look as good as the beefier Wells I’m the past..any truth to this?

10. By Deveau on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Based on that, do you feel Watson and Branch get the nod over B-Rob, based on his age, or does either Branch/Watson lack the talent to keep them from packing a bag. Also, is it standard to only keep 6 people on the DL?

Kind regards,

Cris

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Bryan —

Not sure who is saying that.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

You’re killing me here.

If I had to guess, B-Rob would be the odd man out, but we will see. I won’t be surprised if it’s another way. And roster standards are all relative.

13. By Bryan on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Heard it on that afternoon show on 1060am..

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Bryan —

Yeah, well, I’m just going to say I disagree.

15. By Bryan on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear!That dude is always so negative anyways so I thought I’d see what ya thought.
    Thanks for keeping us all updated!

16. By Brad ONeill on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

all i can say is beanie looks a whole lot better this year than he did at this time last year. :) I think we may see Hightower getting slightly more carries this week and beanie getting just a few touches with the other guys getting the majority. i really hope to see max hall also and maybe some extended time for our starting o line so they can get comfortable together.

17. By Thomas77 on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Just a few questions.

So what is Alan Branch’s favorite color? and will that have any effect on his possibly making the team over Robinson?

And Lutui? What’s his problem? Could it be ice-cream? Cause I know Dairy Queen can pack on the lbs fast? In knowing that the L-man is still working on losing his weight, does Whiz have any methods in place for preventing Lutui from eating said food?

Oh, and my girlfriend say’s that Leinart needs to ditch the rib guard, cause it makes him look fat. She just wanted me to pass it on to you, hoping it will make it to him. I don’t know…she’s kinda weird, but that’s why I like her.

Thanks for all you do Darren! ;o)

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

1. Maize and blue. Which is ironic, because B-Rob hates those exact colors. He hates mauve too, though.
    2. Whiz has shut down all Dairy Queens in the greater Flagstaff area, but interestingly has left Cold Stone Creamery untouched.
    3. I’ve heard that about your girlfriend.

19. By Deveau on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

If you were forced to list the starting O and D using Muppets, who would you slot where?

I’m having a drink for you now!

Cris

20. By Chris B on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Nice Darren, nice.

21. By jwit on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

In the past, DRC has been vocal about the performance of the CBs; and he has turned out to be a reluctant leader. I haven’t heard much lately about his ‘rants’. Has DRC calmed down or are the CBs playing better overall?

Thnx

22. By Joe-B on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Will there be any updates from the Tennessee practices on here?

23. By Thomas77 on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Haha! Touche’….

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

jwit —

DRC seems to have backed off a little. I think the corners are playing a little better.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

Unless you want me to just blow off writing while I am down there, yes, there will be updates.

26. By Richard S on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

3 games in 11 days. Preparing for games even if limited in scope of what is being run on the field and having to figure out who to cut in that time. The coaches will be busy.

27. By cody on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren, i heard that the Cardinals will not use paper tickets any more, but some sort of card system to get rid of scalping. im very skeptical about the rumor, so is there any truth to this??? or is it just a couple of guys talking out of their rear ends? im very curious because i have found great deals with scalping, and it would be a shame if they did away with it.

28. By Scott H on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Well, after my recent posts regarding Doucet, this makes me feel better. I’m still concerned about the frequency of him being injured, but…if we’re optimistic that he’ll be ready to roll on opening day, I’ll take it.

Darren – It occurs to me that one player I’m not really hearing much about at all is Kerry Rhodes. What are you seeing from him? Sorry if you have spoken on this and I missed it…but I don’t remember hearing anything of any detail about Rhodes.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

I don’t know. I know I have paper tickets. It may be an option. But to be truthful, I don’t know.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I think Rhodes has been fine. In his case, no news is good news.

31. By buddy mccormick on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I am a old friend of Coach Whiz and live in Nashville. Where is the team staying?

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Buddy —

We are in downtown Nashville but I do not know the hotel.

33. By bobF on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

After a few weeks in training camp, in your opinion, where does it seem our biggest questions lie? Say top 4 – biggest to smallest.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

BobF —

I don’t know if I would rank them, but, in no particular order, they are the things that have been talked about a lot: How Leinart will perform, non-DRC starting CB (and the nickel spot), how the ILBs will hold up, and how the offensive line will shake out (in particular, does Deuce get in there).

35. By bobF on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

So pretty close to the same issues 3 weks ago. I guess we just need to some real games to start answering questions.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

BobF —

Ultimately, that’s how it always is.

37. By Rich C on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

which undrafted rookie corner has a more likely chance of making the 53-man roster, AJ Jefferson or Marshay Green. I know ther are both pretty adequate in the return game, so will it come down to their corner skills of special teams?

Thanks,
    Rich

38. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

If either does, it’ll be Green.

39. By beastcardinalsfan on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Of topic darren, but what do you thing our chances of beating the saints at home this year are?

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Beast —

If the Cards score more points than the Saints in that game, I feel very good about their chances.

41. By Scott H on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Well played, sir! That reply to Beast was a thing of beauty…