Coach Ken Whisenhunt talked at lunch (it’s weird having so few morning practices, like again today). Among the topics:
– Wide receiver Early Doucet only has a “slim” chance at playing in Tennessee with his sore abdomen. Whiz said the Cards are just being cautious, and are going to be even more so with Larry Fitzgerald (knee) on the shelf. “Early could push through but you don’t know the long-term ramifications,” Whisenhunt said. “Our job is to make sure the main three guys (Fitz, Doucet and Steve Breaston) are available for the regular season.”
– Whisenhunt said after further review, he felt Wednesday night’s practice wasn’t bad. The Cards were throwing things in defensively that the offense hadn’t seen, he said, which was one of the reasons the defense was ahead. He also intentionally made things tougher for the offense. “It was a much better practice on tape than what the feel was,” Whisenhunt acknowledged.
– The Cards have three games in 11 days starting Monday, but Whisenhunt said it won’t be a huge deal. He did say it was important the team was staying in Nashville after the Tennessee game since the team wouldn’t have gotten back until the wee hours of Tuesday and then would have had to fly right back out three days later.
– The Cards are tentatively scheduled to practice with the Titans next Wednesday in the late afternoon in Tennessee and then have their own practice Thursday starting in the late morning.
– Whiz noted wide receiver Mike Jones made a couple of plays Wednesday night and it will be interesting to see, assuming Doucet is out with Fitz, if Jones can make any headway on the depth chart. Whiz wouldn’t commit to Stephen Williams running first unit in the Titans’ game either, saying he wanted to see where Ed Gant was in his recovery from a bad foot.
Tags: Early Doucet, Ed Gant, Ken Whisenhunt, Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Jones, Stephen Williams, Steve Breaston, Titans, training camp
Posted in Blog | 41 Comments »