Going down the hill

Posted by Darren Urban on August 21, 2010 – 11:16 am

And then it was over.

The last practice today was a lighter affair — the tempo was still good (these guys wanted to finish ASAP) but it was more slow-mo; for instance, on many of the passes, the DBs let up as the ball approached, just to make sure there wasn’t any stupid contact that could cause an injury. Then the final horn blew and Herman Johnson raised his helmet above his 6-foot-7 head and Tim Hightower chucked his jersey in the air in celebration.

Whisenhunt declined to talk about planned playing time for the Tennessee game. “We have a plan but a lot will depend on how it unfolds,” Whisenhunt said. “I would have never guessed we would have played (QB) Derek (Anderson) into the fourth quarter last week.”

The biggest news of the day was Whiz talking about last night’s rookie show, which included a skit where players — Whiz didn’t indicate who — imitated Whisenhunt, linebackers coach Matt Raich and Larry Fitzgerald doing a breakdancing routine. “We were actually quite good dancers,” Whisenhunt said, and when asked if it was then OK for the rookies to make fun of the head coach, Whiz replied “It didn’t seem to stop them. Guess the only way you can look at it is they feel a lot more comfortable with themselves.”

(P.S. This is a picture of WR Mike Jones. I took it this morning and I liked how it looked, so here it is.)

That’s it. Camp’s over, and I am outta here.

Tags: , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Going down the hill”

1. By bobF on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

You must start taping the rookie show.

2. By Kurt on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Now it get’s interesting, this may be the best defense in years, and if Leinart comes into his own look out. The rumor of the demise of the Cardinals has been exaggerated. Once again the experts will be talking about the Surprising Cardinals well into January. Plus they are a team the fan base can be proud of.

3. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren, are there any videos of the skit or the dancing?

4. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Nice Dennis Miller signoff reference.
    Another Flag Training Camp concluded.(Good times, indeed.)Any lingering thoughts, Darren now that the pine trees will be replaced by cacti? Are the players just relieved to get back home or do they really dislike the living quarters of the dorm?(It’s practice man, practice! It’s not suposed to be comfortable.)

5. By Renee on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    is there video of that break dancing routine? :D haha.

6. By MikeG on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren-Nice Blog–I’m sure the players are happy camp is over-on to the real business-the games. I hope
    Greg Toler can jump into that corner spot and secure it. I was disappointed in what Mcfadden gave us last year coming from Pitt. He was consistently beat in the second half of GB game & played poorly in New Orleans. I think that CB position will be really important to look at in these 3 Exhib-games????

7. By Farrah White on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for making it so much fun for the kids…my son went with a group of his friends and had a blast. It was his first time, but it surely won’t be the last! GO CARDINALS!!

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Slick pick! Good timing and angle.

9. By Sedona Chris on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Tennessee here we come…

10. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Mike Gandy should go to the Chargers

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

bobF –

Oh, it gets taped. But it will never see the light of day. That’s for the team only.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic –

Not for public consumption.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

I think we are all happy to be out of the dorms.

14. By Thomas77 on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

So I know this is really a non-starter, but sorta feel compelled to mention it anyways.

Has anyone been watching Charlie Whitehurst and noticed how good that guy looks? I was actually very excited about this guy back when it was mentioned we were trying to bag him. I was probably the only person who thought that maybe that third round pick could be worth it for him. Now, it’s only preseason, and he could totally bomb if he’s actually called upon during the regular season. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. But in the end, I suppose it doesn’t really matter anymore…at least from the perspective of a Cardinals fan….

15. By Thomas77 on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Oh, and nice shot of Jones, D.

16. By cards>niners on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

darren –

realistically, do you see andre roberts ever developing into a consistent, reliable number 3 or 4 WR.

17. By cards>niners on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

darren –

Realistically, when could be the earliest that Daryl Washington starts, the kid has obvious potential. Do i hear defensive rookie of the year?……. scratch that i forgot about suh..

18. By OLdude on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

HEY FELLOW CARDINAL FANS AND YOU TOO DARREN:; Just wanted to make you aware of the rather interesting and insightful article on the ABDULLAH brothers that is currently on the SHUTDOWN CORNER blog of Yahoos sports … I gotta root for HAMZA after reading of his devoutness and character.

19. By Mike West on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

I once lived in the dorm where they stayed, and I ate at where they ate, and I played touch football with brothers on the sacred ground upon which they stood. And so the years go on and another year begins. And so will a new leader emerge. See you on Sundays Cards!

20. By trigidy22 on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren do u see the Cards looking at Jeremiah Trotter? or Adalius Thomas or maybe a Antonio Pierce at inside LB??

21. By trigidy22 on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Sign..Antonio Pierce an Fred Smoot!!!! an its OVER!!! am I dreaming Darren??? This is the best Cards D! we ever Had here (SINCE BUDDYBALL LOL) why not go over the top!!!! If Mark Sanchez can lead the jets an there superbowl contenders?? after he threw 12td’s an 20int 2440yrds I know Leinart can lead us too. GOBIGRED

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Cards>Niners –

Way too early to tell.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

OLdude –

Looks familiar. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/The-Fasting-Of-Hamza-Abdullah/c9b1e80f-344b-41b5-87ad-e7d70d3f6dd2

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

Pierce retired. The other two are probably too old to make an impact.

25. By OLdude on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

DARREN: I am sorry bout that…guess I missed that one – I shoulda known you would have had that covered (even better!)

26. By trigidy22 on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren what about ILB Devin Bishop??? just throwing it out??

27. By trigidy22 on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren the Tillman Show?? just saw a quick preview! do u know when?? where?? what channel?? is it a movie?? or show? tomorrow?? do u got anymore info that u could post up for us?? Thanks

28. By CZarr on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

I’ve read that A Dub has a laugh like Billy from Predator. What does Breaston’s laugh sound like? Can you liken it to any movie moments? lol

29. By Cardhead on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Cardinals QBs kinda suck now. Bring back the old guy! Or bring Lienarts former high school backup teammate. I found this u tube link of him.

Wow.

30. By card62 on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren thanks for all the stories from camp and on the Rhodes story.

Rhodes not only does the players want you with us but so do all of us fans so have a pro bowl season and that will shut the fat man up in NYC.

Darren I do not think that Fred Smoot is too old and think that he would help us like trigidy22 mentions. What is Smoots status as I do not know.

Thank you and Go Cards.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

I don’t know.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

The Tillman movie is an independent film. I am not sure when it will be available and in what areas.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

CZarrr –

First of all, I wrote about the A-Dub/Predator thing, and it wasn’t Billy but the Predator A-Dub is compared to.

I wish I had a comparison to Breaston. It’s just … Breaston.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Cards62 –

Smoot is still a free agent.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Cards> –

He could start from Game 1. But I don’t think he will.

36. By Arthur on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Just saw the news article on the week in Nashville. For us Cards fans in Nashville, what events/practices will be open to the public that we can go to?

37. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

trigidy22-

Trotter is done. He’s already attempted one comeback and he looked done then. Being out here in the Philly area, I had a pretty good view of that. Forget Trotter. Five, six years ago? Definitely. Right now? Definitely NOT.

38. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Lord knows there’s been plenty of talk about Leinart. For what it’s worth, here is an interesting take from a writer ( neither a Cards fan or a hater ) from a fantasy football preview magazine. And also for what it’s worth, I think this is all very well said. He states “Most people forget that Leinart had a pretty good rookie season. Over his 11 starts, he averaged more fantasy points on a per-game basis that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco did in 2008. What did we find about Leinart between the end of 2006 and now? One, he entered the NFL with a poor work ethic. Two, he isn’t as good as Kurt Warner. Three, he hasn’t looked good in mop-up duties. Seems fair to bash him, huh? Leinart stinks because he isn’t as efficient as a future Hall of Famer and because he can’t come in cold off the bench and excel. For some reason, fantasy owners are ready to forgive and forget with Vince Young, who excelled as a rookie but subsequently stunk and lost his job to Kerry Collins but they can’t do the same with Leinart. Clearly, it’s because Collins is better than Warner, right? Or is it because Vince is such a precise passer? Or maybe it’s because the Titans receivers are better than the Cardinals’ weapons? Sure. Leinart may fail miserably in 2010, but he also has top-15 potential given the offense around him.”

Yes, this is a commentary about Leinart from a fantasy football perspective but two things – One, the logical points are sound whether talking fantasy football OR real football. Two, it does often turn out that the most successful fantasy QB’s are also the most successful real football QB’s. But this blurb also underscores the fascinating fact that several other young and largely unproven QB’s in the league right now ( Vince Young, Alex Smith, Kevin Kolb, etc ) have gotten the benefit of the doubt that very few people seem willing to give Leinart. Interesting…

BTW, this piece was written by Ted Carlson, Managing Editor for the publication in which it appeared. I wasn’t sure if I should include his name or not, but didn’t want to get in trouble for running his quote without the name.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 22, 2010 | Reply

Arthur –

There is a chance the Wednesday practice with the Titans might be open. I would check with the Titans to know for sure.

40. By nashville1cardsfan on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Super Huge Cardinals Fan here in Nashville. Any news on where the Cardinals will be practicing and is it open to the public. I want to get my daughters fitz jersey signed. Think that is all possible?

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

Nashville1 –

Will blog about that in a bit.