Fitz running well before the game

Posted by Darren Urban on August 23, 2010 – 3:16 pm

As I noted earlier on Twitter (if you’re not hooked up to twitter.com/cardschatter, do it!), wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was running the length of the field and cutting, and catching some passes after running a route. In other words, he seems to be heading in the right direction to be ready for the regular-season opener in St. Louis. Not that there should have been any doubt, but it’s always good to see the best player on the roster looking good a week after getting hurt. Wide receiver Early Doucet (abdomen) and tight end Ben Patrick (knee) were also out running, cutting and catching. I have no doubt Doucet could play if needed tonight (which he is not). Patrick looks a little further away, but we still have a few weeks before it matters.

P.S. Fitz is even going through the pre-game, not-in-uniform-yet drills with the rest of the receivers.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Fitz running well before the game”

1. By Scott H on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

No rush to get back, Larry…’cause it doesn’t look like we have a QB who can get you the ball, anyway. After the first half, here’s what I wonder – hey, is Kerry Collins available??? Neither Leinart or Anderson are showing anything worth getting excited about to this point. That bothers me.

Also, was that REALLY our starting O-line out there tonight??? Maybe it was just some other guys wearing the jerseys of the starting O-line? Wishful thinking? Well, it was worth a try…

Rushing totals so far this evening – Hightower has 5 rushes for 3 yards and he had a long run of 5 yards. You do the math. Wells had 2 rushes for 0 yards and a long run of 4 yards. You do the…oh, never mind. Either the Titans have a helluva defense OR they really don’t, and we just fooled all of their fans into thinking they do. Sigh…here’s hoping for another good appearance for John Skelton in the second half. I need to see SOMEONE in a Cardinals uniform look good at QB…

2. By cardsfan28 on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

If Leinart and our offense don’t get it together soon it’s gonna be the longest most grueling season we’ve had since the cards became a contender in the west. I hope Fitzgerald can turn this team around postseason. He is amazing at what he does and seeing how fast he gets off the line and how he can catch that ball in any position is awesome. Without him our team is seriously handicapped. He’s a guy we can’t be without. I want to see this team suceed so bad it hurts. After a super bowl appearence and winning the west last year it would be sad to see the dreaded 49ers win this year. I hope Matt pulls it together sooner than later….

3. By BluePitt on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

hahaha I think it is funny to hear the sand bagging fans so early..
    1st.) the Titans were blitzing every play!! If you have a team going in to a
    “PRE-SEASON” game to shake off the rust and run some O and D preping for the season.. and the other team wants to blitz every play what do you expect? Our O did not prepair to pick up the BLITZ every down!!! titans go 3-1 in the pre season and 8-8 regular season!
    2nd.) DUH the blitz will usualu stop a run in the backfield unless picked up and preped for!
    3rd.) If you think the card’s had a game plan set in motion you are dead wrong!
    4th.) No O line = bad QB play it is just a fact! look at Warner’s first couple seasons prior to grim’s O line!!! DUH!!!
    5th.) I do not agree with Wiz’s and all of his cuting every thing short like 2 a days going to one’s and all the Vet’s days off, a couple sure but every time I read a story Wiz is cuting things short it shows on the field!

4. By ng on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey there, I’m confused about how Wiz is handling the RB situation. Any thoughts as to why Wells is coming in as the backup, 2nd half of these preseason games? It’s clear he’s a superior runner. Will he play second fiddle to Hightower or have majority of carries this year?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

ng —

I explained this elsewhere. With Hightower/Beanie, it’s all about not game planning. There were no packages going on. Hightower is with the first unit, and they weren’t subbing much. That’s all it was. Beanie will get more carries this season.

6. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt –

Ya know what, dude? The season starts in a few weeks. The REAL season. It’s not really “so early” at this point. Given that starters tend not to play much in the last pre-season game, our starters on offense basically have a few more quarters of pre-season playing time to show something encouraging – like maybe putting a score on the board??? I’m not sand-bagging, as you put it. That would be the idiots who have been predicting a 4-12 season since the day Warner retired or already have the 49ers wearing the division crown. That ain’t me. But if you’ve seen the same two pre-season games I have…if there’s not cause for concern, there sure isn’t a lot of positives to point to.

7. By BluePitt on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Scott H,
    “’cause it doesn’t look like we have a QB who can get you the ball, anyway. After the first half, here’s what I wonder – hey, is Kerry Collins available??? Neither Leinart or Anderson are showing anything worth getting excited about to this point. That bothers me.” ( after 12 or so passes realy dude)

How did Warner look last year in the Pre-Season? Like crap thats what he looked like!I understand your fears. but you must understand, There is a reason Leinart has only thrown 12 or so passes, unless Whiz is crazy he knows some thing we dont! In the Preseason Leinart Vs Warner, Warner played sparingly and Leinart played Butloads! And still lost the job, We went to the Big Game that year! People are throwing in the towel on 12 or so passes in the preseason. Remember we do still have our Play off O line less Gandy. so we are in good shape If the line does not get it going Whiz will put in the Play Off O line and away we GO.

8. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt –

I hear you. Understand, I’m not “throwing in the towel.” I am concerned, and I don’t see how that is out of line right now. The QB play as well as that of the O-line hasn’t been real solid. I’m not jumping off any bridges, nor am I suggesting that we throw ML or DA off of one.

And while I do respect your opinion ( as I have in the past ), I have to say that I don’t get ANYONE refering to Warner’s past pre-season performances as a valid point of any kind. Really, what is the point there??? Warner is a seasoned pro and you know exactly what you are gonna get from him when the bell rings. Like ALL QB’s that fit that description, pre-season numbers are about as worthless as anything could be. Sorry, but this logic does not apply with an un-proven QB like Leinart or any QB that fits that description. I’m saying simply this – Leinart’s pre-season numbers may turn out to worthless as well. But he’s got no track record ( yet ) that you can point to to put your mind at ease. All that said, I am looking forward to the next pre-season game. If nothing else, at least Leinart should get the extended palying time that he has NOT had so far. I don’t see how his limited appearances to this point have been beneficial to him.