Titans aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 23, 2010 – 11:29 pm

Obviously, the storyline coming out of Monday night’s game is the quarterbacks. It’s always the quarterbacks.

There’s nothing I can write to convince people who already believe Leinart is an epic fail that’s it could be otherwise. He connects with Stephen Williams on that bomb down the field – and Williams was easily open – everything is different. Leinart has his one bomb, the Cards move the ball a little, etc. But that didn’t happen, and it’s fair to argue it was on Leinart to get the ball there (coach Ken Whisenhunt did note Williams didn’t run the greatest route).

So where does that leave the Cards – and by extension, us?

Probably right where we were before. My guess is the Cards will break down the tape, see the Titans bringing the house (and Leinart under heavy pressure nearly every play), see the running game providing no support, and figure with a better game plan, Leinart would have been OK. Had Derek Anderson been awesome perhaps that’d change the dynamic, but aside from Anderson’s 37-yard pass to Williams – which was a nice pass – Anderson had a lot of the same issues and Leinart.

All I know is that I’m happy there is another game relatively quickly. Nothing been decided yet, and it takes games to push that progress.

Among the other things here late in Nashville:

– The defense looked solid early, forcing two three-and-outs to start the game. They just want to continue that. “It was decent, the thing is, the coaching staff was expecting us to sustain that passion we were playing with,” safety Adrian Wilson said. “I thought we did pretty well, but we have to do it every series.”

On the next drive, safety Kerry Rhodes took a bad angle on the Titans’ first big pass play (30 yards) and CB Trumaine McBride was beat on the next play for 28 yards, setting up the first TD. Still, the Cards are probably generally happy with where the defense is right now, especially when – again – game-planning is at a minimum.

– Linebacker Daryl Washington didn’t flash as much as the first preseason game. Who did? LaRod Stephens-Howling had some nice runs and he continues to look like a Pro Bowl special teamer. I thought linebacker Stevie Baggs made some plays, and the fact he afterward was lamenting the few assignments he missed is a good sign of focusing on getting better.

– I am interested in seeing what the analysis is on the offensive line. Very difficult to see what was happening since the Titans were bringing the kitchen sink early on. I don’t know what the assignments were or who was supposed to block who, but Tim Hightower lost four yards on his first three carries. One replay showed tackle Levi Brown looking to block someone but, given the circumstances, he couldn’t get his hands on anyone. Again, as Whisenhunt said, there were opportunities but the Cards couldn’t execute.

“This is the time of year where (coaches) are going to look to see who will win the one-on-one battles,” center Lyle Sendlein said. “When they are blitzing people, us up front, everyone has a man they have to block. Outside, you have to win routes and the running backs have to pick up players and the quarterback has to get the ball out.”

– Finally, the leap of Lavelle Hawkins over cornerback Marshay Green was ESPN’s top play of the night, but man, it’s hard to get on Green. It’s not like Marshay dove at the guy’s ankles and Hawkins went over. Green actually came almost all the way up on his 5-foot-10-ish frame and Hawkins still cleared him (Sure, Green could have extended his arms for the trip, but I’m trying to stay positive here). It was just a great individual effort. And made for a nice picture.

Talk to you tomorrow. (Today?)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

88 Responses to “Titans aftermath”

1. By Brandon on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will be fine, he wasn’t terrible. If anything the O-line was a HUGE disappointment today. No holes to run nor time to pass the ball. Levi looks lost at left tackle maybe they should move him back to right and put Bridges back over at left.

2. By Brad ONeill on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

lavelle hawkins leap was freaking amazing. I hope they give marshay a lot of crap for that. maybe they could get him a butterfly net or something. I know there is no way a mortal man could have stopped that but you still have to give a guy crap when something like that happens.

i think the coach made a huge mistake in calling for that long throw on the 3rd and 1. we should have given our running game a chance to get that yard then matt could have continued the drive instead of going for the home run. maybe the coach did want that and matt changed the play and thats why the coach didnt go for it on 4th and 1. but either way that was an unnecessary gamble when getting 3 more downs would have been more beneficial than a highlight reel play at this time of year.

Komar is making it really hard for the cardinals to put him on the practice squad he just might get snatched up by anyone looking for the next wes welker.

I thought Porter looked fantastic so that gave me some hope.

i hate the fact that every 3rd down play is thrown short of the line. it has been a problem in both games for Matt.

I thought the quarterbacks did an excellent job of getting rid of the ball under pressure. i just wish there wasnt so much pressure!!! line where are you!!!

I think deuce and herman are doing a pretty good job against the seconds but unfortunately we dont have any games scheduled against the seconds. except maybe the week 17 against the 9 ers.

i see why people love max hall, he has that sense of urgency matt seems to lack. but then again he is playing for his nfl life matts just working some things out before the season starts.

3. By byron on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I don’t see how we can have a winning season with Leinart as our starting QB.

4. By Eazy E on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Man that wasn’t pretty. Starting with Matt, he played poorly, and matt shouldn’t yell at stephen williams to find the ball, that was a horribly thrown deep ball. 3 three and outs in 3 possessions ain’t gonna cut it.DA threw a beautiful deep ball to williams, but then missed an easy slant by breaston and threw it a little bit behind williams. Running game couldn’t get started because of no movement in the trenches. I like how the defense played overall. The pressure and run defense was pretty good, defensive backfield was good except for a couple passing plays, but overall qb play has to improve against chicago on saturday. The QB job is up for grabs, Leinart or DA need to grab it, because we shouldn’t be this deep into the preseason and we have no undisputed starter like herm edwards said tonight on sportscenter and nfl live.

5. By BPwheel on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been down on Leinart for so long (years) all the way through 1st quarter tonight. But as of now, I’m sick of the questions too. I want to see him get angry like he did after that awful Oakland preseason performance he had 2 yrs ago..after that he came out firing the ball and getting great energy on the field. Get angry, take charge, get focused, or go home to Cali. I want to see him do it now!

6. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I guess I am not that sad that I missed the game tonight. I don’t know what is up with our line, but that is one thing I thought we had under control. They just don’t gel together. maybe if they had leather recliners and lcd’s on the field. I dunno. Lienart needs to call better plays and reckognize Steven Williams is the greatest damn thing we picked up this year and through him the damn ball, notice I say throw it to him and not behind.

7. By Shooter on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Ok, still pretty bland from the offense in this game. Max Hall had a couple bad plays, but once he was settled moved the ball decent and was nimble in the pocket. But I’m just tossing around an idea here.

Since D.A. was brought in to be a back up for Matt in the event that he fails and clearly is not the guy of the future. But I think is pretty much assured too that DA is not the long term solution either. And if it gets to that point where Matt is removed from his starter job at that point the season will probably be hanging by a thread.

Why wouldn’t the Cards just keep both Skelton and Hall and let Anderson go? The team seems to like them both and sees potential in them. And it is unlikey they stick around for the practice squad since other teams will go after the one that is let go. It takes the pressure off Matt of having a Pro-Bowl QB in the wings waiting to take the reigns. And if the season goes south, Matt is removed, then the rookies would have their opportunity to prove themselves in real competition. And the following season they would have some games and experience under thier belt. I’m probably over analyzing the whole thing anyway, but you see where I’m going.

And for the record, I think Matt will be fine once they get going.

8. By Skiptim on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you have a link to where Calais Campbell talked about Keith being one of those pro bowl/hall of fame type guys? This isn’t me being a jerk or anything about his performance, I was just looking for it before and couldn’t find it.

9. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Good work as always, Darren. My theory on this quarterback issue is that if Whisenhunt was really worried about Matt’s productivity or ability he would leave him in longer to get him more reps. I think Whiz plays possum in the preseason. Nothing to worry about, Red Sea.

10. By Eric on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Since we constantly see the same thing over and over again with Leinart and Anderson with the 1st team (i.e. so-so play and constant excuses) why can’t we at least SEE if Skelton can play well with the starters? I’ve watched Leinart struggle for the past 3 years and it’s getting tiring. Anderson’s the same as he’s always been: inconsistent. Now, we finally have something that looks somewhat special, and we bury him under these other jokers.

11. By Rugbymuffin on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

The performance last night ?

Just plunged Cardinal fans everywhere, into reality.

1. If you have 2 Qb’s you don’t have any QB’s.

2. Can we find 5 offensive linemen that can execute a running play ?

Both these situations are going to haunt us. No one to pass, and no where to run.

12. By BR on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Titans dominated both lines of scrimmage. Sure it’s preseason but not good seeing the lines dominated like that. The Titans defensive line controlled the game. No time to pass or no room to run. Vince Young on most cases dropped back and waited for the receiver to come open. The cards QBs were given little time. Practicing with the Titans for a few days should help since they were much better on the offensive and defensive lines.

13. By Tom on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

give Leinart a break. He’s thrown 13 passes in two game, while Anderson, Hall and Skelton have had many more opportunities. I believe Anderson has had 41 attempts. Come On Cardinal nation!!!

14. By Tyler on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

This is what I saw. The Defense played ok the first few series and the offense did not at all. I was concerned with the QB situation and now I am not. Now my focus is the offensive line.

-Levi decided not to block several times.
    -The whole O-line was not giving the QBs any shot.
    -What happened to blitz TE pass or even a screen?
    -One play, NT Branch got pushed out of the way on a goaline stand and gave up instead of turning around to make the possible tackle from the cutting RB.

-Toler looked good. I didn’t notice Mcbride. DRC stayed quiet.
    -Hyphen looked good a few times. Justin Miller on the return looked good. Jason wright had a nice run.
    -Williams is doing his job which is good. We need to work on his jump catch for redzone scoring.
    -Beanie had one good run that I remember.

-Were there any playmakers or standouts on defense? I didn’t see any.

15. By Ken Cadena on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren Matt is not the answer, he has been around long enough to drive the ball down field on rusty defenses, but he still continues to make excusses on his playing. I wont compare him to our old quarterback, but maybe he should of been taking more notes instead of whinning that he wasnt the starting quarterback for the last couple of years. I have been watching Matt play, and he does not have good field vision, and he always telegraphs his pass. he will only be able to throw the short pass because he will get picked off more than 15 yards. serious problems in AZ The only chance they have is use Beanie like Marshall Faulk and major screens to open up passing lanes, and keep defenses honest. worried Fan

16. By chris freeman on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

so whose going to teach the secondary how to wrap up. i mean, Shoulder tackles are not going to bring anyone down. i saw this a lot last year too. but this game it was evident nobody (besides Wilson, Toler, and DRC) were wrapping up. Ive noticed as well teams aren’t throwing in Tolers directio

17. By Tom Bush on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I am a long time season ticket holder who was at the game in Nashville. I happen to listen to the post game radio show for the Titans. They had made an observation that yes, the Titans were blitzing heavily on every play but made mention that it is VERY possible the Coach Whiz had asked Coach Fisher to do that in order to give the Cards O different looks. Do you think that that is possible?

Thanks,
    Tom

18. By bobF on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

My biggest concern is not the play. I saw the Cards play horribly in the preseason last year and win 10 (almost 11) games. My real concern, like the guys on ESPN, is that I don’t see Leinart taking charge. I want to see him well-spoken and a little pissed when interviewed on the sidelines afterward. I don’t see the offense wanting to fight for this guy at this time either. What kind of epiphany will it take for Leinart to turn the corner?

19. By joe67 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Lets face it, its just the second game of Preseason. Gonna be a lot of people hollering for some scalps, probably especially Matt’s, but lets stay calm and stay the course. I would have liked to have seen a little more from everyone, but it will come. I am probably more concerned with the O line. They looked pretty lost at times, but with the talent we have, I’m sure it is fixable. We could start 1-4 and still end up 10-6. Its gonna be that kind of season, I think.

20. By Baded on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

preseason yeah, but that was just awful on offence. what a disapointment. bright spot…..Defence

21. By AZfAn808 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Last night on NFL LIVE Herm Edwards was suggesting and almost predicting that the cardinals should or would leave there starting offensive line in up until the 3rd quarter and game plan accordingly, so they could honestly get a feel for what type of style is best and sort out their quarterback dilema. Do you think that is logical and possible?

22. By Adam on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I think the one BIG concern for me is the other starting CB spot, Veteran or not Trumaine McBride has done NOTHING to impress so far in 2 preseason games and Toler has, Jaws made a great point on the broadcast last night, when you have a shut down corner like DRC teams are gonna purposely go the other way and pick on the opposite CB spot and that was evident last night, Come Sept 12th I REALLY hope Toler is the starter…..

23. By Deveau on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m asking because, while I caught the game, I didn’t notice this, and want to make sure I wasn’t missing something. J. Porter was brought in during the off season, and touted as someone to win one on one battles and get to the QB. I have yet to see pressure happen. Is our pass rush still an issue?

Also, Hall looked pretty good out there. Not anointing him as the second coming, but how can they keep him around? I’m not sure he would clear waivers to make the PS, and I’d hate to see him go just yet.

The O-Line needs to be taken out to pasture and well…

Kind regards,

Cris

24. By Adam on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I cant comment on the “no time to panic” story so I wanted to ask here. Given that this is pre-season I know coach Whiz did not want to show much, HOWEVER, I really did not understand some of the play calls last night, and at times was really scratching my head….the 3rd and 1 bomb for one, if you’re trying to get a look at your offense why not try and sustain a drive? Secondly I was surprised it took so long for Beanie to get in the game, I know Hightower is considered the better blocker but was that all it was? A product of what the defense was doing?

25. By Ashen on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

dude, offense begins and ends with the front line. It always has and always will. The Cards have ALWAYS had a weak front since they’ve been in the valley. You want to criticize the running game, you have to look at the front line. It was like a sieve. Our two quarterbacks in line for the starting job suck. They are third stringers at best. So, let’s have a honest recap. Our front line is awful, therefore we will have no offense. Our secondary is going to get torched just like they did last year. The Cards will be lucky to get to .500 by seasons end. I’m predicting they finish last in the division. Yes, behind the St. Louis Lambs for God’s sake!!! One more thing, can we start a weekly betting pool on how many false starts Levi Brown commits every game? DOOM!

26. By EricJB on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

That leap by Hawkins was amazing. Green was in perfect position for the tackle. I can’t find any fault with his play there. Hawkins did something special. It was a stunning move, especially considering that he never really broke stride.

27. By Are You Serious? on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

If if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if if…whatever. As Herm Edwards said on ESPN after hearing Leinart explain his shortcomings with the “blitzing every play” excuse: “So what? They DO THAT in the National Football League.” Take some accountability for once, Matty.

28. By BeatSF! on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

1st of a ll let me say, ” In Whiz I Trust.” I know preseason is about seeing the 1 on 1 match ups, but it seems like other teams like to get their mojo by game planning us. It didn’t work for GB last year, but it sure does whip up the disrespect from the national media. Maybe a few scripted plays would bring a few less critics and give the players a boost. The draw play worked perfectly against that blitz, too bad it wasn’t called earlier.

29. By 98CardsFan on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

What could be said? If Whiz knows that Leinart is the guy, why pull him after 3 series? There’s no way he can get into rythmn like that. I hope to see Leinart, NOT Anderson play well into the 3rd quarter of the next game. Am really not buying that he wants to get Anderson familiar with the offense, it’s like he’s trying to push DA into winning the job. I have seen plenty of QBs coming from new teams excuting plays in their first games. As for the defense, the line is the strength and outside of AWilson no one has the muscle to make a tackle. They should game plan this next game, look what it did for the Packers…

30. By georgiebird on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s evident that Warner masked a lot of problems on the offensive line with his quick release. Regardless what ML says about the game package, his drops are average at best and his arm strength is very suspect.

Observations from last night:
    1) Whiz should have gone for the short 3rd and 1 (Whiz was playing to stay in the game; not win it). Can the OL move people?
    2) A big arm QB (DK) is needed to keep the defense from stacking the box
    3) Max Hall has so many better QB qualities than ML or DA but I very much doubt his 6’1″ height- more like 5’11” -he seems to throw uphill.
    4) If Beanie played for the Titans and Johnson for the Cards then Beanie would have been the best player on the field last night
    5) Calais is a bit overrated- he should have been able to finish since he was single teamed.
    6) The Cardinals need a tight end to emerge-maybe from waivers

31. By Chris B on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m not looking forward to the thousands of comments calling for the beheading of Leinart. Had they thrown a screen pass or two, that pass rush would have slowed down. Last year they sucked in the preseason and things worked out OK.

My predictions though, is they keep Williams and Komar and release OJ and Gant. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the QBs though. If they try to put Hall on the practice squad, I don’t think he makes it past waivers.

32. By Wampag on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

what did you think of Hall? you see I don’t want to keep harping on ML and you have met him and talked to him and I never have BUT he doesn’t have the “IT” factor watching him on the sidelines he looks like he is daydreaming I respect that he worked out in the off season and all the work he has put in BUT come on D you really think he is a leader? did you see how much passion the WR’s had when Hall was on the field and yes I know they are playing for their jobs…the offense has to believe in the QB its why Favre is so good no matter what age he is and why we miss Kurt its about the leadership…you cannot teach that sorry but I just don’t think ML has that part of the equation and after all this time we should realize it and trade him for a CB because I have a really GOOD feeling about this D second year with Bill and they look mean they have a swagger and we haven’t even seen them game plan yet GO CARDS

33. By Ditship on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I think I’m more concerned about our O-line then I am about QB.. and I’m very concenred about the QB.

34. By Jeff Gollin on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

It was a disappoiinting performance on several fronts:

– Leinart looked clueless – not making the right reads nor countering with the right audible or checkdown, Contrast this with the UDFA (Hall) who at least seemed to know what he was facing, would moved around to secure a throwing lane, then would locate the open man and moreoften than not hit him.

– Although Anderson had a few bright spots (& improved considerably throwing on the move) is he too error-prone (i.e. misses open men, muffs snaps, “steps into” a sack etc.) to be trusted.

– After watching a weak performance by the starters, I still had hope – that at least some of our backups would step up and seize the moment. Instead, they played a listless second half – as though they didn’t even want to be out there. (Doesn’t anyone want to step up and grab a job???)

True, there were some isolated good moments (i.e. J Miller, Jefferson, Hall and S Williams at least not doing anything to hurt his chances) but if you were to ask me where I thought the Cardinals were at this point in preseason, I’d be forced to describe them as “playing 4 & 12 football.”

35. By Jesse Robles on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

People need to chill out or jump off the bandwagon, it is like everyone talking bad about Lienart is everyone that jumped on the bandwagon when we went to the Super Bowl. People continue to compare Matt to Kurt, if you do that you will be nothing but disappointed because Matt is and never will be Kurt Warner. Like I said, get Matt some time back there and more then 13 throws in 2 games compared to Derek Anderson’s 40 passes he had in 2 games, and I think Matt will be ok. IT IS PRE SEASON!! Kurt wasn’t good all last pre season either and the same people were the ones crying. Get over it, talk to me in the regular season. Pre Season is used as practice for the Starters, but you are seeing who you can use, the Colts go 0-4 almost every pre season. I am not saying were the Colts, I am just saying Pre Season DOESN”T COUNT! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!! Reliable Fan here, Love the Cards, READY FOR THE BACK-to-BACK-to-BACK NFC WEST CHAMPS!! Lets Go baby!!

36. By Paul on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I thought Matt looked bad and Derek looked better. Matt dumped off five yard passes while Derek looked downfield and threw with velocity. Matt locked onto his third read right away and dumped it off (yes there was lots of pressure but Derek went downfield against the same pressure). Matt looked confused (running right into 6 man fronts instead of changing the play) and sulky on the sidelines. If Derek had completed the TD pass to the wide open Breaston there would be serious controvery now.
    I want Matt to be good…I really do. But I think DA is the better option. This is going to get interesting in game 3.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

38. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Tyler —

Can’t say I noticed, although I though Wilson and Dockett made a couple of plays in their brief time. And I did think Baggs showed up late.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Tom —

I cannot see that.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

I wonder about the pass rush, although VY is a tough guy to track down. They have some hard choices to make at QB, although it wasn’t as if Hall was flawless.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

You aren’t the only one asking about 3rd-and-1. But I say the other way — Williams was open on that play. If Leinart gets it to him, it’s a huge gain. I have zero problem with that call. A team will need those plays in the regular season.

With Hightower/Beanie, it’s all about not game planning. There were no packages going on. Hightower is with the first unit, and they weren’t subbing much. That’s all it was.

42. By footballdad79 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Well, it was Green’s fault, after seeing the play again from the other side he turned his head in anticipation of the hit, so he had no idea Hawkins was so high. I think Green can be VERY solid and hope he makes the 53. I think us fans want to see more passion out of Leinart, well placed passion, not him chewing out a receiver for not finding a ball that wasn’t close. Granted the receiver may have been in the wrong spot. C’mon Matt regardless of the fans thoughts of you, good or bad, Cardinal Nation WANTS to rally behind you. Give us something……………except excuses.

43. By Mr Turner remix (youtube) on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

What’s the problem now matt, WR ran the wrong route, offensive line ain’t blockin’
    for ya, defense still can’t tackle and giving up to many points.
    Oh’ that’s right I forgot it’s preseason, well let’s see we know leinfart has a water pistol for an arm, anderson has accuracy issues (geez) he throws the ball like a crossed eye blind man and max hall looks like the keebler elf tossin’ some cookies around that mother@$%#. Anyway Skelton gets my vote, yeah you could put syrup on $%@# but that don’t make it pancakes.

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I think Hall was OK. I can see why coaches like him, but he is far from being ready. That passion you see from the WRs when Hall was out there? That was less about being inspired by Max and more about guys fighting to make an NFL roster. I am not saying Matt is a great leader at this point but let’s not go crazy. The rest of the team knows it’s only preseason; it’s hard to get too hyped up even if they should be.

45. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s pretty clear the Cards are saving up and holding back…. The real question is do they have anything that they are saving up and holding back

46. By CZarr on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

How do you stay sane after sifting through all these comments? Although Mr. Turner’s post was kind of funny…

47. By Peter in Canada on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I am not worried about the Oline and I don’t see the concern. Apart from Faneca in and Gandy out the personnel is the same but the positioning is different. Someone says that Warner masked Oline problems because of his quick release. I think that it was rather his ability to pick up the blitz and quickly find the open man and had the arm to get it there. The problem is ML and DA don’t have those skills and I don’t know if they can be taught. I think the offensive co-ordinator has a lot of work to do to get the offence right to try and suit those guys. From what I saw last night I don’t think Hall throws well enough but I think Skelton has an NFL arm, size and coolness. I think he deserves more playing time.
    Darren, I’m happy to hear you say good things about Baggs.

48. By Brad ONeill on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

just in case people forgot check out the preseason last year

matty can play.

49. By Nikko on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

THE FIRST TEAM O-LINE IS GARBAGE & HAS YET TO BLOCK FOR LEINART & GIVE HIM THE COUPLE EXTRA SECONDS TO MAKE A GOOD READ & DELIVER THE BALL!!! AFTER WATCHING FANECA THE LAST 2 GAMES, I SEE HE IS ONLY A RUN BLOCKER & HE IS LIVING UP TO THE “GARBAGE PASS BLOCKER” EVERYONE WAS SAYING!!! I SEE BETTER PLAY OUTTA DUECE LETEUI & HERMAN JOHNSON THAN I DO FOR WELLS, FANECA, OR BRIDGES…… TILL WE GET THE O-LINE IN ORDER MATT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRODUCE LIKE WE WANT HIM TOO & YOU CAN SEE IT ON HIS FACE DURING THE GAME!!!! AFTER 2 GAMES & NO PROGRESS ON THE O-LINE, IF I WERE THE QB, I WOULDA PUT THE LINE ON BLAST!!

PS DARREN I DON’T KNOW HOW U DIDN’T SEE THE HORRIBLE PLAY OF THE O-LINE

50. By Brandon on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m all for the comment above that says cut DA, and let Skelton be the #2 and Hall #3. Its clear to see neither of these guys will clear waivers to make our practice squad, and DA is not the answer either ( too inconsistent).

51. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Playing right away may make us forget this fast…or not;)

52. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the overall depth should be a concern this year more than in years past since Whisenhunt has been here? I feel like there is less quality depth, and not as much overall talent, then his other years. I think we are going to see just how valuable his coaching is this year.

53. By Robert Malicki on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

As a long-time NFL fan I remember when it was forbidden by rule for a ball-carrier to hurdle a would-be tackler. It is a play you never see and I was confident of the rule still being in effect.The rule was enacted to protect both players because of its two-way danger. Nothing on this was mentioned during the broadcast and could you update me on the legal status of “hurdling?”

54. By jsb on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say this but I dont see an “IT” factor from ML. He still looks lost out there and cant read a defense to save his life. I would roll with DA at this point as he is really the only option right now. I wish they would let Skelton and Hall play with the first team a little to see what they got because we know whats coming with ML and it aint good.

55. By TBru on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Why do I have a feeling that DA will be the starter, and both Skelton and Hall will both be given the opportunity to be the future? I think #7 rode the bench too long behind Warner to be an effective starter. This team is loaded with ralent on both sides of the ball. A team can win with a mediocre quarterback, but not with a bad one.

56. By aaaaudio on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Tough to watch AZ Cardinal football these first two preseason games with such high expectations. The OLine especially our tackles are not getting it done in my opinion. I see Levi Brown blocking noone and then walking around clueless.
    This Saturday he has Peppers and I am not excited to see Brown and Peppers at all. Keith seems to be doing a bit better but both are stinkin it up. Blocking = Time= completed passes and first downs Blocking is our Offensive trouble obviously.
    I notice most other teams are giving their starting lineups two full quarters and running some interesting enough plays. Cards are so plain these two games it is killin us here on the fan side.
    I have faith Whiz knows what he is doing. Not so much the O Line.

57. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Nikko —

Oh, I saw the line not playing well. That’s why I keep using the quotes about how it wasn’t all about the quarterback.

58. By jdcro59w on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

This team is not good enough to keep saying “It’s preseason”. Have not seen enough of ML to make a call one way or the other. Appears to me that he is being set up to fail. Maybe some playing time against chicago will tell the story.

59. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

I think it’s hard to tell right now. Let me see how it works in games that count.

60. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Robert —

I am not familiar with such a rule.

61. By Wampag on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

ok D thanks for the reply have a great day GO CARDS

62. By Rich C on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Stephen Williams has clinched a roster spot and if he has, is he higher than Andre Roberts on the depth chart?

63. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Rich C —

Yes and yes.

64. By Mac on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

There hasn’t been much news about the defensive line and no D-Lineman has shown anything spectacular. Campbell, Dockett, Williams are guaranteed a roster spot but there is no one behind them (sorry Bryan). Will the Cardinals save a waiver-wire spot for when cuts come? And, I have not heard anything about Ken Iwbema? He was drafted by the Cards in the mid-rounds. Does he have a role?

65. By cards>niners on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

darren –

This is what i concluded from the game
    1) steven williams is a lock for the roster
    2) Matt Leinart is really driven to be successful, his play may have been poor but his attitude was pretty good (for pre-season)
    3) It is going to be REALLY hard to cut max hall or john skelton… hall looked shaky at the beginning but gained his stride and looked very capable.

questions 1) Could toler beat out mcbride? because mcbride has been extremely shaky
    2) why does ESPN keep talking about “which cardinals qb will start against the rams??” because we all know, unless there is some impending disaster, Matt Leinart will be the starter for game 1. There is no qb battle going on right now, it was settled on january29th, around 1p.m.

66. By Rich C on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren

67. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Mac —

Iwebema has made a couple of plays and he is very good on special teams. He isn’t going anywhere.

68. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Cards> —

I think Toler has a good chance to beat out McBride.
    I think ESPN likes talking about such things because they are good to talk about, and there is little question Leinart has done little to distinguish himself. But I agree, I think Leinart starts the first game.

69. By Bill L on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Show opens with….Word from Camp is that they are not happy with Leinart. Wiz?…authorized by Wiz?…Wiz Lost Control?. If you want to sabotage/scapegoat a QB that is a good start.

O Line Stunk…..O Line?….Grimm?

Running Game non-existent? O co-ordinator?

4th and 1/2 Yd…..Punt?….confidence builder?….Game TOO important?

Yet, amazingly the focus fell on Leinart…..and everyone else skates…..POOR Wiz?

70. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

What the hell is #30 doing on this play??? That had to be one of the most pathetic attempts ( or, should I say, NON-attempts ) at tackling I have ever seen. Looking that clueless and inept would certainly justify his locker being cleared out after the game. Ugh.

71. By Richard S on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

After watching the offensive line play, we know now why Warner retired.

72. By Andre on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I have a feeling coach whiz is making it as hard as possible for Matt to see how he responds with pressure. It makes sense, at least to me. Given the fact that Matt WILL be the starter the first game, I think Whiz doesn’t give a shit about the preseason, as far as Matt goes. Whiz gave him so little playing time these few games, he’s either got a plan, or a real crappy coach. He’s got a plan, that’s for sure. These next few games will be very interesting. Even though I think whiz is making it tough for him on purpose, I think he may need to throw him a bone next game and let him play longer, I think we’ve seen enough of Anderson.

73. By dean on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I have to say I would love for Matt to do well butt to me he lacks pasion,Its like he doesnt care eather way…So far this preseasion the best QB performance goes to John Skelton.

74. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Bill L —

Not sure I follow.

75. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

AZfAn —

I don’t see Whiz gameplanning in the preseason. He doesn’t believe in it.

76. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Interesting that you say that the running game provided no support…but I would ask that with the ratio of pass plays to run plays in the first half, how was the running game supposed to provide any support??? They barely ran the ball at all! Why were the Titans going to respect the run when they barely saw it during the first half? In my opinion, the play-calling may have helped EVERYONE look better last night if the ratio had been different. This team clearly needs to try to set up the pass with the run. They went the opposite last night and the results were not pretty. Not only that, but Leinart was taking hits that he doesn’t need to be taking in the 2nd pre-season game! I know, it’s pre-season and there’s no game-planning, and maybe we’re not seeing any of what they plan to do when the games are real. ( God, please let that be the case! ) But I also think that this team better be prepared for a whole lot more of what they saw last night in the way of teams bringing heat and trying to pressure the QB. Why wouldn’t they??? Teams had to be leary of doing that with Warner back there because he would make you pay dearly if you didn’t get to him. Until – or unless – Leinart proves that he can respond in a similar manner, the book on him is going to be that you pressure him relentlessly and you’ll get the ball back real soon. I’m guessing that what we will see come week one will be very different than what we saw last night. Would you concur?

77. By Dan on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Preseason means nothing. Leinart will be fine………relax everybody.

78. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I think I would say if a team stacks the line, running attempts don’t necessarily help.

79. By tyman on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Biggest mistake of the offseason was not getting a proven QB that could move the ball. We missed out on Mcnabb and now we are left with DA. Matt will continue the 3 and outs and the d will have more and more pressure on it to make points and win games. and to that all i have to say is GB Packers last year. We are done if we dont switch before the start of the season. Frig maybe we need to get someone off the streets, anything!!!! we want to win!!!!

80. By Victor on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

how bout skelton for starter?hes shown more ability and potential in 5 minutes than leinart,anderson and hall have all preseason..its sad to say but leinart may go down as one of the biggest draft busts of all time.

81. By LadyCard04 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Matt was our “glorious first round draft” with the owners believing their big pick would bring glory. Matt will be our quarterback until ownership comes to the point of giving up and admitting they made a BIG mistake in drafting Matt. (By the way, ESPN happened to pan the Cards bench and there was Matt sitting down by himself, spitting, while Larry, Skelton and Anderson were standing around Whiz while watching the game. Matt can’t get it through his head that if it is “his team to lead” he needs to be involved even if he isn’t center stage.

It took a broken collar bone for the Cards to start Warner. Owners want their “pick” to work and that’s all there is to it unless Matt really stinks up the place. We don’t have anyone else right now who is dazzling so Mr. B. is going to force Leinart on us. (IMHO) The rookies are playing with more confidence and finesse than either of our experienced qbs. It’s a mess.

82. By Rich on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall is the best QB the Cardinals have and they should let him play a quarter with the starters.

83. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard —

Whisenhunt just signed a big contract extension and has had two division winners. If you think he’d start Leinart just because of ownership, you are wrong.

84. By Scott H on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

OK…then, we may be in trouble! ‘Cause I don’t see this team succeeding as a pass first / pass to set up the run team.

85. By cj on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I would let go of anderson and use max hall and john skelton fight for the second Qb and let other one get the third spot.

86. By Skiptim on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the link. I was thinking it was something you wrote about in a blog, which I guess explains why I didn’t find it, heh.

2. Aug 24, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com