• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Whiz the day after

Posted by Darren Urban on August 24, 2010 – 12:11 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt, because it’s a rare short week away from home, did a rare preseason-day-after meet with the small media group here in Nashville. The only injury of note from the Titans’ game was to WR Andre Roberts, who sprained the AC joint in his right shoulder and will likely be out about a week, Whisenhunt said. It shouldn’t be a concern long-term, although it’ll be interesting how the Cards handle it in Chicago. Who plays behind Breaston and Stephen Williams, because I am guessing Larry Fitzgerald (knee) and Early Doucet (abdomen) will still sit (although Doucet could return)?

Some Whiz thoughts:

– “We looked like a team that had just broken camp that obviously had its mind on breaking camp instead of playing on Monday Night Football,” he said after watching the video. “There weren’t as many mistakes as there were the first week but still there were some alignment errors, missed tackles, our offensive line didn’t block as well as I would have liked. But we got things out of it we can learn from.”

– In terms of the quarterback situation, Whisenhunt noted a couple of times about the new faces in new places on offense — the reserve receivers playing, the offensive linemen in new spots. “We have been able to operate with the same guys the last three years where they learned a lot,” Whisenhunt said. “There will be a growth process.”

– In terms of Matt Leinart specifically, “It’s not just the quarterback,” Whisenhunt said. “I wish Matt had thrown the ball better on the post, I wish he would have thrown the ball better to Stephen. But once again, the blame is not all on the quarterbacks. A lot has to do how the line played, the way we didn’t do some things that we should have done that would have made his job easier. That’s the thing you have to be careful about, making a quick judgment on the quarterback when we haven’t been as successful as we would have liked to have been.”

I am still not convinced, regardless of what happened, that Derek Anderson has been able to pick up enough ground on Leinart to surpass him on the depth chart. Anderson is still new in the system and Leinart knows what he is supposed to do. Leinart still needs to show he can execute, but this staff — going back to Leinart’s struggles as a starter in 2007 — isn’t comfortable with guys who don’t know the system.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

116 Responses to “Whiz the day after”

1. By jsb on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

“I am still not convinced, regardless of what happened, that Derek Anderson has been able to pick up enough ground on Leinart to surpass him on the depth chart.”

Really? what has Leinart done to keep himself in front of DA at this point? I’m not a fan of DA but he has looked a lot better than ML in preseason, even with his interceptions. ML looks lost.

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

jsb –

A “lot better?” Look, I’m not saying Anderson hasn’t looked better. But there is a difference between that and doing enough for coaches to trust him as the starter. JMO. I guess we will see. I’ve been wrong before. I will disagree with one point though — interceptions matter. Interceptions and turnovers are worse than incompletions or short passes to this staff and any staff I know.

3. By oz on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you and I refute Anderson has looked markedly better this preseason. He makes a beautiful throw to Willams and then follows up missing two passes I would have made from the five yard line. That inconsisteny is maddening.

I just don’t understand where Matts mojo is gone and feel like he has been tentative since that famous 3 INT game in Oakland 2 years ago. If you have his ear tell for me we beilieve in him and stop worrying about walking on egg shells. Grab the reins of the offense and push the ball upfield. He’s two willing to check down and he needs to take some risks, even if it means a INT once in awhile. That’s how Kurt played and that’s how Matt has to play.

If your going to go out Matt, do it on your terms and in a blaze of glory.

With our receivers we need to push the ball downfield and it starts with Matt.

4. By bobF on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

The “play” isn’t what concerns me as much as the need for Matt to get in there and get a little pissed off and show this offense who’s boss.

5. By David on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall was the best QB on the field last night.

6. By irvinandprime on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

first round bust or guy who needs glasses go with the guy who needs glasses get him some contact lenses and let him be your qb, or u could always just look for the ball lol leinart throw it close to the receiver not 20 yards be hind him u guys should b worried. Skelton looks like your best bet work with him all year and put him in there next year cause the 2 bums u got cant and wont get it dunn

7. By Lone-Eagle on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

How are you doing this fine day? Well I hope. I watched the game last night and it was painful for lack of a better term. The offense looked terrible. Missed blocks, slow getting off the line, missed reads, it was awful. I am not going to blame it all on Leinart, because there is only so much he can do, running for his life, but in my opinion, he looked scared! He looked like a rookie, and though you may disagree with me, the last two weeks, Skelton and Hall both looked better than Leinart and Anderson combined! I know it is not going to happen, but it is wishful thinking that the Cards pony up the money and figure out someway to convince Kurt to come out of retirement. Kurt was a leader. He demanded excellence, out of not only his teammates, but more importantly himself. I know it is early and the season hasn’t even started, but I am not convinced that Leinart ies the answer for this team. I am not trying to bash on him, but he just did not look comfortable ourt there at all, and believe you me, i was routing for him all game as well as all summmer. Anyone can talk the talk and say the right things to the media, you have to politically correct, but what Leinart says is one thing, his body language says just the opposite!! Last night his body language showed no self-confidence what so ever. Who knows, maybe he just wasn’t meant to be a starting QB. Andeson didn’t look any better. We should have gone out and trded for McNabb. But hey, I am just a fan who loves the game of football. Well whatever our record is this year, Go Cards!!!

8. By Modavaysean on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

DA looks better than ML, but that not saying much. ML’s attitude is what worries me. He still seems like a spoiled rich kid that no one will want to have leading them. DA should get the job ML should be traded to the next AFC!!! team that needs a QB. Then after DA loses 3 games in a row and he will. We by then have Skelton caught up enough to start him as the QB of the future and hope he can right the ship & get us in the playoffs. Tho im worried that since ML seems like a real jerk tht he wil give away all of our playbook and tricks to however asks out of spite.

9. By CZarr on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I would disagree that he looks better. ML has had 13 passes in 2 games. He is a rythm quarterback (IMO) and just has not had the help necessary to establish any type of rythm. The fact that Whiz is not playing him nearly as much as DA indicates to me that he is at least relatively confident in his abilities. I could be wrong though.

DA has a bit of swagger and definately looks more confident, but none of that really matters when you turn the ball over, and cant hit easy throws for touchdowns. Last night, he even missed a curl pattern with a wide open receiver standing still less than 15 yards away. I just don’t see him being the man unless he can establish some consistency with his accuracy.

10. By John M on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson hasn’t faced a first string defense yet… yet people are saying he’s “looked better” – He hasn’t.

Until there is an actual gameplan in place for a PreSeason game, you aren’t going to be able to get an accurate look at a QB.

Remember… we couldn’t get out of our own shadow LAST year in Preseason with Kurt Warner at the helm. Maybe its time to start gameplanning a bit, or at least scripting out the first plays. (If they aren’t already doing that)

11. By Tyler on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m getting tired of hearing its just the preseason. I wish someone would teach Matt how to talk at press conferences. He needs to be more confident and admit fault as necessary.

Matt doesn’t make his case when he opens his mouth. Do you agree that he doesn’t seem to talk like a starting QB at the press conferences? He needs to stop making excuses and talk about solutions.

12. By Deveau on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Denver just released Akin Ayodele, ILB. Any chance the Cards bring him in to take a look?

Kind regards,

Chris

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

Matt is who he is. If he were playing well, no one would care how he talks in press conferences. He probably is acting like he always has, back to USC. I’m sure he is frustrated too.

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

There is a chance.

15. By RED BIRD 66 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I will openly admit that I am not a Leinart fan in anyway. I tried to give him a chance to shut me up but its pretty obvious he can’t or won’t. Anderson is not the savior either as his accuracy matches that of a high school QB. I am sure one of the two is going to be given a chance but I am just wondering at what point does Whiz make a trade or just go with the rookies. There is no way they are going to resign Leinart to a long time deal with starters pay after what he has showed unless a miracle happens-LOL. Why fight the inevitable and hand him a clip board. Maybe Pete C will trade Charlie W for Leinart. LOL even louder. Go Cards-Defense and the running game is going to have to do it this year.

16. By Andre on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I think a lot of people are asking the wrong question. I keep hearing that Matt will do okay and he won’t turn over the ball, but is “okay” good enough for the Cardinals? And are we contending for a super bowl? Or are we just trying to get by without Kurt?

17. By DR on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

DA has played against 1st string D! He hasnt played with first string offense. Keep in mind that Larry and Doucet have been hurt. Larry was hurt thanks to Leinart hanging him out to dry. IMO going with Leinart will be like kneeling the ball on every down. He is too scared to throw the pick so he would rather check the ball down. Warner through INTs, its normal for a QB. You have to have a short term memory at that position and Leinart is scared! I would go with DA because he is a true leader. He has the swagger and hasnt been in the system long enough to judge. Give him our number one weapons and watch us move the ball. The only question in my mind, do we keep Skelton or Hall. They both show potential. I dont think we will be able to keep both. Another team will knab the odd man out.

18. By Chris on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I have more faith in Wiz than any other coach we have ever had and I trust he will make the right decision regarding this team. Bring on the Rams and the regular season we will see if they are ready.

19. By Peter in Canada on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Yes the Cards were terrible in pre-season last year. But it was an unchanged team coming off a Super Bowl appearance. This year there have been a lot of changes, the most important one being the loss of a QB with three Super Bowl appearances numerous passing records and a strong HOF candidate.

The fact that his replacements do not have his ability and appear to be struggling is a cause for concern. If the fans weren’t concerned they wouldn’t be fans at all, Here’s hoping the coaching staff can tweak the offence so that one of them can start to move the team. We need to see some kind of sustained drive by the first team to rebuild confidence.

20. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Getting tired of this argument. Leinart struggles in the regular season Whisenhunt will not hesitate to bring in the back up. He has the track record of doing it. Just relax, guys, Whiz does not care who you are if you don’t perform you won’t play.

21. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Oh man I just read all these other posts and they are so ridiculous. Pony up the dough and get Kurt to come out of retirement? DA start 3 weeks and then bring in Skelton? Darren, you need dislike buttons on peoples’ posts.

22. By Walter L on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s still preseason, so I’m not going to fret about Leinart at all. How stellar did Kurt’s Cards look during the exhibition games? They didn’t. But I will say I think the DA signing was a bad move considering Marc Bulger was available. IMO, I think they should cut DA and keep the rookies they have, because if something happens to Leinart we’re screwed anyway. Skelton and Hall have a lot of potential (I’m especially high on Hall after last nights showing. Good leadership, instincts, and football IQ), DA is just too inconsistent and only has a big arm. He lacks the skill for the finesse throws, last nights showing in the red zone is a perfect example (how do you not connect on either of those passes?). Again this is just my opinion, and it’s only preseason so I’m not going to stress over these games.

Darren-
    Any word on Deuce making progress on reclaiming his starting gig? I think that would help solidify the O-line.

23. By KidStallyn on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

OMG OMG THE SKY IS FALLING??? ARIZONA HAS A QB CONTROVERSY!!! Well, that’s what @Adam_Schefter and the Four Letter Network would have you believe. Seriously, this is a MEANINGLESS preseason game. Nothing to get wrapped up over. Since when is a overall 90.9 QB rating after a total four or five vanilla offensive series a bad thing. Funny how @Adam_Schefter doesn’t mention Kurts 47.4 QB rating last pre-season in ANY of the conversations.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Andre –

To paraphrase Rick Pitino, Kurt Warner isn’t walking through that door. Nor is Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning. These are the quarterbacks. They will try to win as much as they can with who they have.

25. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Two injuries at the receiver spots are not unlikely, so they had better figure out how to play with any receiver. Which is what Warner was really good at. I think it was more of Warner increasing the level of play of his teammates when Boldin was out opposed to other guys magically playing well. Warner was good at making everyone around him better, particularly the receivers.

26. By darrel on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I won’t put the blame On matt he just seemed dissapointed that he got pulled so ealry so I thinks that’s why his body language Was so poor .but I wil say this o line sucks not good at all. Out center syndline Is soft levi brown can’t keep feet his under him. … kurt waner made the o line look. Good becuz he got the ball out fast. And he so good agaist the blitz So with that being said may be we pick up a center and another guy for a tackle the guys we have are not going to get it done. And the oppsite side of DRC is picked going 2 picked on a lot I can tell u that already we need someone else over there move toler a solid nickel role .. we have some lot wholes in our. Team and with kurt to do the pact up work

27. By Dylan on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

what do you think the reasoning behind DA playing more then ML is?

28. By KelzWright on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I am just curious why the Cardinals didn’t put money into picking up a QB that has potential like a Jeff Garcia. It is apparent that Cleveland saw their short comings and dumped not 1 but 2 QB’s (Quinn and Anderson) both showing signs of why that move was made. I think that Skelton seems to be the Rothlisberger apparent that the Steelers got, who is he. Throw him in with the First String. He doesn’t seem to have a problem walking into a huddle as a leader. That is what the team got with Kurt a natural leader someone who took the hits for failures and spread the kudos on successes. Matt doesn’t have it, nor will he ever. 28 yds Really.??? Really??? It’s clear the team lacks his confidence.

29. By CZarr on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Whiz has read this article? Maybe he should? lol

30. By Magee on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I guess we have to wait and see on the quarterback and if this year doesn’t work out, the Cardinals need to dump Leinart totally and go on. I hope our guys
    win the division and go to the Super Bowl again and I don’t care who gets us there. To get this started, the Cardinals need to have a field day against St. louis and there is no reason that shouldn’t happen.

31. By 4ZERO on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Here is what concerned me the most. The sideline interview. It has already been mentioned that he seems to lack the attributes of a starting QB. Darren said he is who he is and I agree, if he had done a great job no one would care. The fact is he didn’t do a great job. He was also only in for 3 series and didn’t look horrible. I am looking forward to the next game….. Back to what concerned me….that sideline interview. I found it odd that Dockett was being silly behind him and playing around. It just seemed wrong. I kept wodering if Dockett would have been acting the same way during a K. Warner interview. I think the answer there is no. So I found it a little telling and maybe shows that Leinart really needs to step up his leadership role and command the respect of his teamates. I think if he does that, the confidence will return and with both of those things in place, positive results on the field will follow. Did anyone else notice Dockett and think it was a little strange?

32. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Here’s something we can try, have DA get them down the field since he has a cannon and hasn’t been afraid to throw the long ball and on the goal line put Matt in, since he has been only throwing short passes but at least connecting on those throws?
    Why not try and see what happens? Nothing to loose?
    Why not use their strengths instead of focusing on their weaknesses? That will also keep them both competitive till someone really steps up?
    Make it like baseball and the relief pitcher mentality.

33. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Among the many things that were frustrating about last night’s game, here are the two that probably get me the most – what was wrong with our O-line and why did Leinart get only three series??? He should have gotten – and clearly needed – more of an opportunity than that.
    We’re all talking so much about the QB’s and what we are expecting from the running game this year, but as it does for every team, every year – it all starts with the guys up front on the O-line. And they were pathetic last night. If I’m Whiz last night, the first team offense isn’t coming out of that game – not one single guy – until they put a score on the board. OR AT LEAST GET A DAMN FIRST DOWN!!!

34. By mstar on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Let’s all take it easy until we see how ML performs in a real game. Last year’s pre-season stats: Warner 24 for 46, 0 touchdowns, 3 interceptions, 47.4 rating. Leinart 39 for 66, 3 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 85.9 rating.

35. By Dick in SoCal on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I am a HUGE KW fan…My daughter is a Mater Dei grad, so I am ML fan. I would like nothing better than to see ML playing like he did @ SC. But, he’s not! He doesn’t look like he wants to play football. He walks around the sideline area like a guy at a party who doesn’t know anybody! DA, 6 times out of 10, can’t get within 5 yards of the receiver! Darren, you say, “These are the quarterbacks.” Well, of these quarterbacks, I’d use Skelton & Hall, and Skelton would start. I know CW says I’m an idiot, but I’m an idiot who wants to win!

36. By Richard S on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

The force, Matt, throw away the playbook and use the force.

37. By no name on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

when will the depth chart be updated? im wondering if Daryl Washington will get a chance with the starting defense. It didnt seem like he got alot of playing time last night.. Pago Togafau isnt very good and definitely shouldnt be with the starters.

38. By Joe daddy on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Every pre season we play like garbage and everyone panics. Whiz doesnt care about the 2nd preseason game. A lot of offenses around the league are struggling..jet,cowboys. both of their offenses have struggled so far this pre season. Once the games actually start meaning something the veterans will kick it up a notch and be ready for week 1. Thats all that matters to these established veterans, thats why the play tentative. They just wanna be ready for when the games actually MATTER week 1 vs STL and not get injured in a game that doesnt count.

If leinart plays horrible in week 1 vs the rams…then i would say its time to panic but for now its PRESEASON.

39. By Bill L on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Show Opens……..Word from camp is Cards unhappy with Leinart…..Word from Camp!!! Give me a Break…..is it from Wiz or NOT? Then Who? Has Wiz Lost Control? Is this his sneaky way to pave the way for ML’s exit? WORD FROM CAMP……..Coward or What?

Why not go on 4th and 1/2, or is the Punter selection more important than QB? Or is a ML failure to move the ball just very welcome in the coaches offices? For heavens sake don’t give him more opportunities…….he might succeed.

It sure is important to watch that 4th string QB, especially when the staff talks about being disappointed in their starter……RIGHT?

4 man NO-Name D line destroys Card’s O-Line. Manning or Unitas couldn’t succeed behind that line. SERIOUS problem.

Linert MISSES receiver who NEVER looked for the ball. Heck he might have been praised for… throwing him open…if the guy was competent/coached.

I think Leinart has no future with AZ, not do to ML’s problems, but do to the entire Organization from GM to Head Coach to OC to O position coaches. Leinart will be the sacrificial lamb to buy them time and take most of the blame.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

Well, true to a point. But in the opener last year, when Breaston was hurt and Anquan was playing on one leg, the offense went nowhere.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Walter L –

I don’t think there is enough to go on with the line at this point, so I’m not sure if Deuce helps.

42. By Brad ONeill on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

i kind of like duece and herman running with the second team it gives us a very solid second unit for running the ball as evidenced by the production of the runningbacks later in the games.

Is there anyone pulling for mcbride, hightower and wells out there? all i ever hear is beanie, deuce and toler not that they aren’t good but these guys who are in first string now are there for a reason.

43. By Joe daddy on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Im with you walter, duece is just flat out better then reggie wells. by week 1 he should be starting. Duece is just getting punished for his weight and not coming to OTA’s.

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

Whiz knows what he has in ML. He is trying to decipher what he has in DA.

45. By ben on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

hey darren
    i have a question. isnt whiz the coach who took a small school rookie quaterback to the playoffs. i know bad example to compare the rookies on our team since i dont think they’ve raped anyone, but could that be a realistic option, one of the rookies leading this team.

46. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Kelz –

Garcia has potential? He’s 39 or 40 and can’t get a job.

47. By Dylan on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

maybe he is hiding ML like they hid Boldin hahaha i hope thats it right there

48. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

No name –

The current depth chart is updated. Coach Whisenhunt just approved it this morning.

49. By georgiebird on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Cards still have a porous defense. With ML at QB once the Cardinals get behind the game will be over. The running game needs some room to run and ML’s dink and dunk passes won’t stretch the defense.
    So DA should be the QB not because he’s better but because he fits better with this team. DA is new and with each rep he should be getting better. Matt on the other hand has been here long enough and his learning curve is nearly flat.
    Also, with Kurt, I always saw him on the sideline talking with coaches and players more so when things were going bad. ML on the other hand is a brooder.

Tx

G-bird

50. By Deveau on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

With regards to waivers, where does the organization stand as far as pecking order?

Kind regards,

Cris

51. By Joe daddy on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey D, I think we got ourselves a QB and its MAx Hall. the kid can do it all. Smart, decisive with the ball, good in the pocket, accurate and most of all hes a flat out winner.

What do you think? are the coaches high on him? seems like they must be because skelton didnt see a snap after playing decently last week. Hall has just been consistent throughout camp. I think it says a lot just for him to get that playing time, especially for an UDFA. THey pretty much cut leinart snaps short so they could get a look at hall in a game.

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

Until a couple games into the regular season, it goes by reverse standings of the previous season. So the Cards are gonna be down the list.

53. By Thomas77 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

See Darren, you’re a star….

“Cardinals website writer Darren Urban does not believe Derek Anderson is ready to start over Matt Leinart in Week 1.

Anderson certainly hasn’t done enough in the preseason, and Urban hints that his knowledge of the offense isn’t as far along as Leinart’s. The whole passing game will be much better off once Larry Fitzgerald returns, though Anderson will gain ground if he outplays Leinart in the third exhibition game.”

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Joe Daddy –

I think they like Hall, but there is a lot more time left in preseason.

55. By MikeG on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I thought Lerod had a nice game!
    I think he is going to get some nice action out of the backfield during the season. I’m sure the coaching
    staff wants him to be the leader on special teams–replacing Morey! Also–Leinart is the QB! I’m sure
    Whiz is game planning the Rams as we speak— with Leinart at the helm!! What do you think about all these teams blitzing in the pre-season? I don’t understand it!

56. By Thomas77 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Regarding Andersen. A friend of mine is sold that Andersen is still better than Leinart. Mainly because he at least gives the Cardinals a chance to score, even if he is grossly inconsistent. Whereas, Matt is consistent, but consistently unproductive. Based on Matt’s, what, 10 – 11 possessions, it’s hard to argue against his point. But is that really enough to judge Matt on? Honestly, I’m in the camp where I don’t think Matt has even really been given much of a chance to get into any kind of groove. I understand why Whiz wants his other QB’s to get their reps, but I’m sorta getting the feeling that he is giving Derek every chance in the world to take Matt’s job. If Derek could just become 50% more consistent, it seems he’d gladly hand the job over to him. I’m not trashing Matt, I just sorta have the impression that Matt really isn’t Whisenhunts man….

57. By dick parker on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

i have been fan of cards since 1947.last 3 yrs have been good but this looks like a start of our futility all over. cards need a qb who will lead regardless of his name.trade ml for haynesworth then get a qb and big red will be fine.

58. By darrel on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Keep faneca and get 4 new guys orlando pace ,kevin mawe, randy thomas , jon runyan lol and move duce into a startin job plz what y’all think about. These names I know there all old. But we need a whole new unit

59. By Bryan on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Jake Plummer.

60. By johnnybluenose on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

a couple of things. leinart has been here 4 years now so there is a problem if he is still learning the system. leinart only got to play 9 plays and it’s not his fault there were no first downs. if you can’t run and/or run block, the defence is going to force you to pass the ball and they are going to pressure the qb into throwing short passes that get you almost nothing. and why didn’t whiz gamble on fourth and short? we all know graham can punt but what we don’t know is whether our offence can gain 2 feet when it has to. it’s an exhibition game, let’s go for it and get our offence energized. when leinart played his first year, he completed a lot of 2 yard passes which were basically useless. i sense the same thing happening again. i hope to see some better play- calling when they play chicago. at least give leinart a chance to show what he can do. and please people, don’t suggest either skelton or hall should be our qb. if anything, they should be shut down so that one of them ends up on the taxi squad instead of being picked up by another team. who knows, one of them could be our qb in 2013, just like romo became the cowboys’ qb.

61. By Michael from STL on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

i hate how people are saying are quarterbacks probably suck and saying how we should be calling Kurt Warner right now… Im not saying i wouldnt love Warner back there throwing the ball for us but lets be honest Warner is not going pull a Favre if he was he would of been back by now…i hate NFL.com and there so called experts

62. By Jzoully on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I still love Matt Leinart, but some noteable quartbacks are still out there Darren. And by the way I also agree that Dereck Anderson isn’t the ingrediante at quarterback. Old Team
    1.Dante Culpepper (Detroit Lions)
    2.LOL Josh McCown (Carolina Panters)
    3.Jamarcus Russell (Oakland Raiders)
    4.Mark Brunell (New Orlean Saints)

63. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully –

Brunell is with the Jets. The other three aren’t the answer. The Cards aren’t the only team wondering at QB and there is a reason those guys are available. If you can’t upgrade, what’s the point?

64. By cardsfan28 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren, at any point did you hear the staff make any mention of Victor Cruz? Now playing for the Giants. His play last week speaks for itself, and I was wondering if the Cards even knew he existed being an undrafted rookie and all….

65. By Eurocard on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I was looking back at the number of games where we went several sets before we got points on the boards; and a fair few where neither side had any points after three or more possessions. These are not infrequent occurrences. Why does everyone expect pre-season games to be any different? Football is a game of attrition as well as finesse. In every game there is a period of feeling out the opposition at the start. No one is asking if ML was starting to get a feel for the opposition when he was pulled, or f he felt he was getting their measure. They are just criticizing him for not coming out of the starting gate and taking the team down 80 yds with vanilla offence; it is an established fact that defenses have the edge at the beginning of the season, and especially in preseason when the offense is not throwing anything interesting at them. How quick people forget the uproar when GB actually game planned against us in a pre season game last year! What does it all mean? ML plays well into the second half against Bears; after all, that game should bring back some great memories! They are what they are and this team is what it is.

66. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan –

Not that I have heard.

67. By Beauchamp on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren why has everyone completely lost their minds about Matt Leinart’s numbers? I know i’m a superfan and all, but doesn’t everyone else remember how bad all the qbs do for the most part against starters in the preseason. Correct me if i’m wrong but whiz is 3-11 in preseason and 31-23 when it matters. It’s the the game plan right? Stephen Williams ran a post rather than a skinny or slant and his go route was completely too far from the sideline. I’m not a huge Leinart fan or anything, but how can people watch him not turn it over and not make mistakes and then say we’ll go 4-12 like they did on Gambo and Nash today on the radio!?!?!?! There’s no way that happens and you and I both know that. Give my love to the Wolf man he makes my mornings w/ Doug.

68. By Bill on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I might be crazy but isn’t Jeff Garcia better than the two that we have in right now?

69. By Gang6230 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I think we all knew that was gonna happen. Once a hall of famer was gone. In reality Kurt is the past. What we have is what we have ML and DA. Let us remember tha Matts job is on the line. I believe if he doesn’t come thru the team will cut him next year. The rookies we now have are good but not ready. But they will be. What we have is a lot of talent in the coaching staff n the team. We are still in good shape able to make the playoffs n win the NFC west. Let be supportive. N pray Matt gets some passion some fire in his bones n play ball GO Cards

70. By Brian on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait for all you ML haters to post how wrong you have been about him. You are the same people that booed Kurt Warner when he showcased with the Cards. Coach WIZ and the Cardinals organization is not in the game to create conspiracies. Makes me laugh to read these hillarious posts….

71. By Michael on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I sent you an email on you askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net address, I don’t know if you still use that, if not could you please let me know

72. By Alex Robertson on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

How can someone say that DA has played better than Leinart? I know Leinart hasn’t scored yet, but he is 10/13… that’s almost 77% of his passes completed. And please don’t forget that the 10/13 is over the span of TWO games. He has thrown 13 passes in two games. That’s less than a third of what DA has thrown, so how can you compare the two performances? Warner was bad in the preseason last year, then performed well in the regular season. So I say that until Leinart stinks it up in a game that involves game planning, everyone should relax.

73. By CardsDNA on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Watching the game all I have to say is that Hall sadly look better then ML just in the sense that you could see him look down feld and QUICKLY go through his progressions, but ML still is staring down every throw he does and DA is just wayyyy to inconsistant. I say let ML start and drop DA (dont care about the money issue), and keep the rookies and let them battle for the 2 spot and if ML is failing by week 6, then time to change the helm and starting looking at future. What ya think?

74. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Matt Leinart for Albert Haynesworth? I think we should drug test these commentors.

75. By Mrbyte on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Whiz needs to support Matt more and give him a seriuos amount of game time for him to ease into the role. Matt looks like he is playing scared, scared of making a mistake that will get him critised and dropped. where as DA looks at ease because he has nothing to lose.

76. By Scott Baugh on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Why doesn’t the cardinals team go after Kurt Warner, like the Vikings did Brett Favre? His own wife didn’t think he was coming back, he was leaning against it, but the team and city went after him and didn’t give up. Why don’t some card fans come up with a “COME BACK KURT” campaign. He is such a blessing the whole team and the city when he plays?

77. By Peter Goesinya on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

It’s time for DA to start getting all the snaps in practice. You know what you have with ML, which clearly isn’t much.

Give DA all the practice snaps and his inconsistency will improve and he’ll get a better grasp of the offense.

78. By OLdude on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I am shocked by the number of people who are so intense about the SECOND pre-season game. Could some of the “blame” be put on the approach by the coaching staff? I truly believe that everyone is premature in their judgments of everything and that we should trust Coach Whiz and his good staff to be doing the right things to get right for the REAL season. I MAY get a little nervous if after the third game there’s no noticeable improvement but for now “IN WHIZ WE TRUST” should be our approach. It’s not like the man hasn’t established a pretty darn good track record so far, so why panic now? Am I the ONLY one who sees a REAL gem in MAX HALL? I believe he is being overlooked by the fans but dangit I just can’t shake the feeling that we got a “born” QB in him.!!

79. By OLdude on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

AND OBTW has anyone heard Max interview? That kid is a good interview and he has got a football mind to boot!!

80. By Tinted Face Shield on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the Cards really wanted Bulger? But were forced into getting Anderson because Bulger wasn’t released yet, and they were in fear of ending up with no back up?

81. By swede1 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I wish everybody could settle down and wait until after the Falcons game week 2 to start pushing ML in front of the firing squad. Obviously Whiz hasn’t been game planning to win the games, and obviously he has some faith in ML since he is not moving anywhere on the depth chart while only getting a few snaps of live action.
    The sky is still firmly in place.

82. By Tyler on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

When do you think the depth chart will get updated? When is it normally updated?

83. By trigidy22 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren what do u think about the mike an mike show this morning!! THEY! GOT LEINART LISTED AS 1 OF THE TOP 5 WORST STARTING QB???

84. By Brett on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey bud it’s been a while. I finally got an autograph from Whiz, he signed my newspaper article with me on the front page of the AZ repiublic from the seahawks game in 08, the last game of the season, check it out. lol. Okay so I have been pretty quite on this subject but now it is time ot open my mouth. I truely feel that if ML continues his play we might as well just let John Skelton be the starter. If we are going to have a losing season with a 5 year vet that obviously just cant seem to get it, then we should get ot FRANCHISE QB of the future some playing time, who knows he just might surprise us as Sanchez did going to the AFC CHampionship his rookie year. Skelton will be a HUGE sucess in the NFL

85. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Bill –

Since no one in the entire league wants Jeff Garcia, I say no.

86. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Michael –

I do. Been hectic, so I may not respond to e-mails immediately.

87. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

CardsDNA –

I think I want to see how the coaches sort the roster first.

88. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Scott –

Kurt retired. Period. End of story.

89. By BigRedFan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Leinart – Needs to show leadership and good decision-making

Anderson – Needs to show consistency, not one great pass and then a lousy one.

Two guys with their own problems. Can Leinart sharpen his skills? can Anderson find consistency?

Leinart starts the season until the bye, and then we reassess.

Am I right, Darren?????

90. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

I think Bulger would have been a possible option if he had been available. But he wasn’t.

91. By BigRedFan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Not to mention Pre-Season is meaningless, and we have NO IDEA what the coaches want from it or WHO they are really looking at. I get a feeling QB is not at the top of their list as much as O-LINE, LB, etc . . . . .they need to trim the roster, and Leinart and Anderson are both staying, and these are not real season play calls. . . . .

92. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

The depth chart is up to date, Whisenhunt-approved.

93. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

I’m not surprised.

94. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

BigRed –

Sounds reasonable.

95. By Matt in Philly on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Here are my optimistic thoughts on Matt Leinart. Despite Whisenhunt wanting to keep the postion “competitve” Matt Leinart has essentially been told that he’s the the starting QB. Or more specifically, “it’s his job to lose”. Now, what are the two quickest ways to lose a QB job? Get injured or throw interceptions. So far, he’s done that: completed 77% of his passes, has a QB rating of 91, and has thrown no interceptions. However, his prudence has also resulted in a meager 5.9 yards per attempt, and a longest completion of 16 yards. His body language on the field? Somewhat languid and uninspiring. That body language and the subsequent numbers tell me that we may have a guy who’s trying to NOT LOSE HIS JOB by a) not putting his body on the line (i.e. stepping up in the pocket and using his legs) to make heroic plays and b) not throwing deep down-field and risking an interception (particularly when is running with unproven reserves). Matt is not the world’s smartest guy, but he knows that he’s been waiting a long time to be a starting QB in the NFL, and, if indeed it’s “his job to lose,” he’s not going to risk his body or his stats before the season has even started. And let’s also remember that he’s in a contract year. You don’t get starting QB money for how well you play in the pre-season. Right now, his #1 priority is being the starting QB when the season starts. That’s when it’ll be time to judge him.

96. By trigidy22 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren do u think u can talk Leinart to do a Q&A with us??? Looks like everyone has a question for Matt!!! thanks!!

97. By Mac on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Man, they really need a CB off waiver-wire. Everyone but DRC is beat in man-to-man coverage. I like Toler, McBride, and Adams but they need a physical CB. Is there any CB the Cards are looking in to that they think will be cut for waiver-wire or FA’s- like Samari Rolle? (liked him in Madden :)

98. By trigidy22 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren what do u think about the NFL approvel of Stan Kroenke’s purchase of the Rams?? LOL He looks like a younger crazy Al Davis!!!!!!! I alredy hate him” Ps thank u Raiders an Bills for not getting the nose tackle they needed D.Williams is going to be a MONSTER This year for Us Opening the Hole!! GOBIGRED!!

99. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

Don’t know if there is really much for Matt to say at this point.

100. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Mac –

I don’t even know if Rolle is still playing.

101. By MYMAN"Larry" on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

WOW what a blog, us card fans are fired up! Just a couple things. I to do think that Skelton and Hall are looking pretty good but we have to remember rookies are playing rookies. It is like college ball all over again. Once they go up against a starting defense things will change. They do show more intensity then Leinart and that is what makes me nervous.

I think Andersson will fall by the wayside. I am sorry but my 10 year-old throws a better bullet then him. His long passes are so arched, that mark my word he is going to get intercepted, alot! His throws have more hang time than a punt in Denver, the defense is gonna read it all the way! Too predictable.

Question, I was dissapointed that the Whiz did not have Leinart stay in longer for the game against the Titans. Why is that? I know it is only the 2nd preseason game but it is obvious he needs to get more time on the field practicing against other defenses. How can we have confidence in our starting QB if we never see him get warmed up. Two possesions and sit him, come on! I know Larry and Early were out but he needs to get some practice. How long will he play at Chicago, hopefully the whole first half, at least?

102. By Mr Turner remix (youtube) on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey i’m gonna tell ya just like this, someone needs to pull matt leinart on the the side and tell him, If I ever need some one to throw the ball in the garbage, you’ll be the first person I call.

103. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Myman –

I do expect Matt to get more playing time Saturday. How much, I don’t know.

104. By clssylssy on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Kid! Has anyone watched other teams in preseason and noted all the errors with the so-called greats…getting called for not being able to line-up?? The Cards haven’t been that awful considering this is like try-outs and nothing is for real.
    I don’t know which is worse–the chest beating from the whiner 9ers or the lack of confidence in our team by so-called “fans”! Let’s save our energy for when it counts–GO CARDS!

105. By AndyM on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, gotta love a good quarterback controversy–particularly one in which there are four horses in the race.

Every year in the preseason there is another #3 or #4 QB that captivates the imagination and then fades into oblivion. This year, it seems a bit different in that both Hall and Skelton seem to have an “X-factor”. Everyone was impressed with Skelton in the first game: major league body, strong arm, soft touch, imagination. Hall also showed quite a bit despite unimpressive numbers: quick and confident setup, quick release, decisiveness, intensity. Of course it is preseason, both guys played against third-teamers, but it seems like one or both of these rooks has a chance in this league. What do you think, Darren? Do you think opportunities for quarterbacks are more about luck, persistence and talent than pedigree and justifying salary?

Ultimately, a couple of the previous writers are right: Whiz is wise and is ultimately about results. He will sort it out.

106. By TucsonTim on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Still think McNabb was too expensive?

107. By Bigdaddyota on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Lone-eagle, how can I tell I agree more? Yes, I too being a Football fan for the stake of a good game.
    Wiz, let the rookie QB’s do their Job, Hall and Skelton looked hungry and hot and capable of doing the big step when the rest of the Team and especially the Offense can secure the Pocket. What happened Monday can only be classified as a joke and its even worst as it happens to KW before last seasons way to many times. Lesson learned????????

108. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

AndyM –

I think for QBs, it’s about all of that. It’d be naive to think otherwise.

109. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

Wait until McNabb signs his new contract and ask me again. Then we can tell.

110. By Leinart Fan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Let me start off by saying I have been a Leinart fan since he was going to HS at Mater Dei in SoCal. The guy has the chops to play QB….He had them in HS, he definetely had them in College and he had them while playing for Denny Green. A guy does not just forget how to play the game. People can talk about speed of the game, “the intangables”, etc…Leinart has proven he has them and he did it at the NFL Level.

Cycle back to 2006, Kurt Warner was the goat of this team, and I am not talking about Greatest Of All Time either……..Kurt SUCKED in Denny’s system, he was awful. Leinart, behind one of the worst O-lines in the NFL was able to have success as a rookie, and he had swagger. Some may argue the point, but it is what it is.

Cycle back to current day, what was the one change that brought success for Warner and issues for Leinart……..Ken Whisenhunt. No doubt, Ken Whisenhunt was the right move for the Cards, results do not lie. I just do not think he was the right style of coach for Leinart to play under. Leinart needs a cheerleader, he had it at Mater Dei, He had it in Carrol at USC and he had it in Denny Green . Whiz is not a cheer leader, never has been. Instead of cheering Matt on and helping him work through his issues as a starter, he wanted to do things his way and have immediate success, and along the way teach a few lessons to Leinart that Leinart needed. As soon as they started doing the tandem QB thing several years ago, Matt’s days as a starting QB for the Cards was over IMO. Once he broke his collar bone and Warner took over, the rest was history, and it was good history. For everybody but Matt Leinart.

You cannot argue KW’s success as a head coach with the Cards, nor can you argue Kurt Warner’s success with Whiz. Leinart and Whiz are just oil and water when put together folks. No body’s fault, it is what it is.

While I would love to see Leinart have success in AZ, he looks like a helpless child on the field playing under Whiz. He did not look that way under Green or Carrol. He had moxy then, he had spunk, he looked to be more of a leader as a rookie then he does now as a vet. KW’s actions, right or wrong have broken Leinart down, or so it looks and he has not been able to build him back up. I say trade him to a team/coach who is willing to build an offense around Leinart and who is willing to build up his confidence and stick with him rather then beat him down all of the time.

With that being said, go Cards and go Leinart

111. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Leinart Fan –

Can’t say I’d argue much with that breakdown. I don’t know about the “helpless child part,” but … we’ll see where it goes from here.

112. By Leinart Fan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, “helpless child” was a bit strong. How about confused, dejected. Just seems like he is always looking over his shoulder since Whiz came aboard. For some, competition serves as motivation, for Leinart, it seems to paralize him when it counts the most, probably because he has been on the losing end with Whiz so many times before.

With that being said, I hope I am wrong and Leinart lights it up. I just do not see it happening in AZ IMHO.

113. By Brian Hatch on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I think the smartest thing for Graves/Whiz to do would be to take next week, and give Leinart 1/2 the game to play, then the second half, go one quarter Skelton first, then Max Halls 2nd.

If Leinart doesn’t look like an NFL starter there, and Skelton/Hall look anything like they did the last two games, then I think it’s time to move on from Leinart, this year.

I would then play Skelton and Hall a half each the fourth game for experience.

Assuming all look decent, cut Lenart to save several million prior to week 1, then run with Derek Anderson the first half of the season at least, and really work on either Skelton or Hall to see if they can be something next year. If we do as badly as we look like we’re going to do the first half of the season, then play the rookies and let’s see what they can do with first string players and against first string defenses. Either they are the solution, or we go back to the well in next years draft with a high pick and get our QB of the future.

I’ve got to say, both Hall and more so, Skelton, have looked terrific so far.

Time to move on… or Fitz will move on without us and we’ll be a terrible team.

2. Aug 24, 2010: Andre Roberts / Roberts (shoulder) out a week | Sporty Twits
  3. Aug 25, 2010: WEDNESDAY LINKS: D-backs’ scoreless streak at 20 innings and counting… | phoenix.rssible.com
  4. Aug 25, 2010: Could Matt Leinart Lose His Starting Job?