Over at the Titans’ facility …

Posted by Darren Urban on August 25, 2010 – 4:48 pm

Just got back from the Cards’ practice with the Titans. There will be a story up in a bit, but I have to say, it was cleaner than I expected — no scuffles at all. But it was still interesting. Unfortunately, with three fields, each team’s offense was taking on the opposing defense simultaneously on the two outside fields, so you had to pick and choose what battles to watch. Given the circumstances, I watched more of the Cards’ offense. The offensive line versus the Titans’ defensive line was fun to see. It’s clear the Cards have some nasty cusses on the second unit — Rex Hadnot (pictured below in a one-on-one battle), Deuce Lutui and Jeremy Bridges — who like to stir things up. That always lends itself to intensity.

Some quick other notes from today:

– The injury list was expected — WR Larry Fitzgerald (knee), WR Early Doucet (abdomen), LB O’Brien Schofield (knee-PUP), LB Gerald Hayes (back-PUP), TE Ben Patrick (knee) and WR Andre Roberts (shoulder). LB Will Davis left during practice after aggravating his right knee bruise, but coach Ken Whisenhunt said he will be OK.

– Greg Toler was running with the first unit at CB with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and he had told me earlier in the day there would be some shuffling. Whether that is “permanent” (which is a term that must be used loosely this time of year) or not, we will see. I also notice rookie NT Dan Williams getting a couple of first-unit snaps, but I didn’t see enough of the defense to know if that meant anything, or if it was just a sub-package or maybe veteran Bryan Robinson was just getting a blow.

– Max Hall did run with the second unit at the end of the two-minute drill, but only after Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson each got some work. Hall could have (should have?) had a TD pass at the end, but a pass was slightly tipped, changing trajectory a little for WR Ed Gant, who had the ball bounce off his upper chest. Hall threw a nice long TD earlier to Stephen Williams during 7-on-7.

– No, during my time watching the QBs, I didn’t see anything much noteworthy from Leinart or Anderson, not to add to the chaos of a story right now.

– The Cards practice one more time tomorrow at Vanderbilt, and fly to Chicago Friday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

56 Responses to “Over at the Titans’ facility …”

1. By Insight on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Max Hall’s 2nd team snaps have anything to do with his playing time in the Tennessee game?

Also are there any notes on the rehab of O’Brien Schofield?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Insight —

Hall was OK in the game. Not sure if it means anything today.

Schofield will end up on PUP to start the year.

3. By BigRedFan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

For all the frantic fans out there- two words:

PRE

SEASON

4. By 98CardsFan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

No real scuffles? I was kind of hoping to see A Dub square off with Mr. Blount, but that would be a little too UFC. Any video on the update?

5. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

98Cards —

Video coming.

6. By joke on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Pre
    Season
    my
    arse!
    Get the ball going!!!!!!!!!

7. By Richard S on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I think practicing against Tenn. is a great idea. The coaches can even tell the other coach what they’d like to see the respective units do, to see how their players react.

8. By David on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I was at the practice today at the Titans complex and want to know if the practice tomorrow at Vanderbilt is open to public and if so, what time it is?

9. By BeatSF! on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Wasn’t the Rams head coach from the Titans? Hope we didn’t share too much!

10. By Joe on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

so the big story all day on NFL.com was whether AZ coaches were smart enough to cut there losses with Matt and move on i hope he is seeing this stuff he needs to start acting like he cares whether or not he’s playing this year I trust whiz and his choice at QB but if Matt could show a little intensity that would help me out alot

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

David —

Thursday’s practice is closed.

12. By Maskin on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Dan-
    Thanks for the update. Been wondering all day how it went.
    Question for you, how did beanie and tim look? Does the offensive line look a little bit better?
    I was watching the game and saw when duece pulled on one play and totally crushed a db. They called him for holding on it because I think they felt bad for the guy. But it looks to me that duece is playing pretty angry and I am loving it!

13. By matt m. on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I hope they ended the practice as a group saying “goodbye thank you and see ya in the superbowl

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Maskin —

Beanie and Tim looked OK. Hard to tell with no tackling.

Oh, and it’s Darren.

15. By cardsfan28 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, no mention of John Skelton, nothing to mention or you didn’t see him play today?

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan —

He got some work. Nothing I saw of note, good or bad.

17. By Dylan on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

This is too all the people saying the first team needs to score some tds and move the ball

Kurt Warners 2009 preseason stats
    game 1: 8 for 14, 83 yards, avg. 5.9, TD’s 0, Ints 0, QB Rating 74.4
    game 2: 6 for 13, 80 yards, avg. 6.2, TD’s 0, Ints 1, QB Rating 34.1
    game 3: 10 for 16, 139 yards, avg. 8.7, TD’s 0, Int. 1, QB Rating 64.3
    game 4: 2 for 7, 48 yards, avg. 6.9 , TD’s 0, Int 1, QB Rating 16.1

18. By louisisana native on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

anything on Marshay Green? maybe redeeming himself really pushing for this guy to make the roster

19. By tomryaz10 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I was at the practice today and it was enjoyable. I am a Matt supporter but my concern from being up close and seeing him on the sidelines was be two fold. His pick in 7 on 7 drill today and secondly he seems to have no leadership “fire”. He simply doesn’t look like a “leader”. Am I missing something? Is he? Also, it was a great practice but my only complaint is that there were no Cardinals made available for fan interaction after practice. There were “some” Cardinal fans (yes, I was wearing my “7” jersey. Why were the players not signing autographs. Many wanted them. Titans players were out in force signing.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Louisiana —

Not today.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Tomry —

The Cards had to bus back to Vanderbilt and then bus back to the hotel before dinner and meetings. I didn’t think autographs, in this circumstance, were going to be part of the picture. The buses left quickly — like 15 minutes — after the practice ended.

22. By LUKE on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

the nfl should do this more often .

23. By LUKE on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

matt will be ok.get the run game goin and trust in the coaches,cards offense is fine.

24. By Tyler on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I have not heard anything about skelton in a while. Is he injured or something? Usually when you talk about skelton, you would mention hall. I figure the vice versa would be true.

25. By ruben on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

hey darren
    What you think of chris carter being critical of matt leinart and chris carter being boys with larry fitz i heard on radio maybe chris carter is just saying what fitzs is thinking

26. By Jay Green on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Did Skelton play at all?

27. By Adam on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

After reading your story and blog I decided to read the titans version…. Granted this was one “biased” side of the story but per this blogger Matt threw back to back picks and Anderson a pick as well…..

Sounds less than impressive from both QB’s again… did u see the plays or were they nothing big?

28. By Jones from IL on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I wish Matt the VERY best BUT can a quarterback look like a Koala Bear who just finished a feast of Eucalyptus and is about to doze off? or a man who looks depressed – is there something in Matt’s past since college that has him depressed? He looks disinterested, and unhappy, disconnected from his team mates – just going through the motions. I hope Matt can prove doubters like me wrong. I want to be wrong about Matt. I just don’t think we can be successful if he is a too careful, half-hearted quarterback.

29. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Dave,
    Gant has shown a little something in preseason’s first two games. Enough, you think, for him to make the team or Practice Squad, despite the suspension?

30. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darrell,
    Are any of the injured players completely ruled out for the Chicago game?
    BTW, any word on Hayes’ recovery?

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Tyler —

Skelton has been quiet since the Texans game.

32. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Ruben —

Possibly. Who knows. There are a lot of people talking out there, especially on this subject.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Jay —

Yes, he practiced.

34. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Keith,
    What percentage of the game do you think the starters will play versus the Bears? First quarter? One half?
    Like your music and blog, but your wife is a knockout!

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

I know one of Leinart’s picks was a pass TE Jim Dray should have caught but bounced off his chest and into the hands of a defender. I didn’t see the others.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStands —

Gant had a tough day today, missing a couple of catches he should have had. With the suspension, he’s gonna have a hard time sticking.

Hayes is in a holding pattern. I don’t expect Fitz, Patrick or Doucet in Chicago, although Whisenhunt hasn’t officially commented.

I would think a half at least.

And as far as the wife, pix please. … Never mind. Didn’t realize it was her.

37. By trigidy22 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren do u see Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will play both sides to shadow teams number 1? Or is every team going to go the oppsite side of DRC an pick us apart?

38. By trigidy22 on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Titans running back Chris Johnson told Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com that the 2009 Associated Press offensive player of the year planned to race Cardinals cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at LP Field at 8:00 p.m. local time tonight.

Darren did u see the race?? an could u update us??? thanks

39. By Justchillout on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

This is the best post I have seen to shut people up about what the media hype is making. Wiz has already said that they know what Matt can do. You think if they need to figure out the qb possition he might have played longer.

40. By tomryaz10 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Adam,
    I happen to see both of the picks since I was standing near the field where they were. In fairness, it is 7 on 7s so the D knows its always a pass. The first was to Breaston on about a 15 yard out pattern. He either threw it too late of too soft but the CB stepped in front of Breaston for the pick. Matt’s fault. Second one was as Darren stated it was NOT Matt’s fault. Easy catch, bad bounce

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

DRC is going to play only one side.

And there was no race. Cards had meetings at 8 p.m.

42. By Jzoully on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been hearing it all around the league that the cards might release Matt, IF that were to happen who would you see as the new QB for the cards.
    Personally I could see John Skelton and Max Hall battling it out for the cards, this training camp they’ve looked impressive. I know this because I went to the fan rally, loved what I saw. Oh and nothing against Derek but I just don’t see him as our starter.

43. By Jzoully on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Oh PS. Tim Hiller was cut from the Colts. Not going to lie but he looks like a prototypical QB. Heres who I would love to see start just saying.
    1.John Skelton
    2. Max Hall
    3. Tim Hiller

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully —

If those are your three QBs, you’ve set yourself up nicely to pick overall No. 1 next April and select yet another QB.

Leinart isn’t getting cut. Where exactly is “all around the league”?

45. By nashville1cardsfan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I was there for the Practice. Sucked that none of the players could sign anything for the True Cardinals fans! Did get Wolf and Coach Whiz autogragh on my daughters fitz jersey. Wolf is a level headed man. Interacting with the fans. The other broadcast members were snobs! I think I should have taken Coach Mcginnests advice. He told me a few seasons back that the Cardinals didn’t deserve a good fan as myself!

46. By nashville1cardsfan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Oh i failed to mention John Skelton did come over to sign a couple kids autograghs. Cudos to the man who i think should be the starter day 1 !

47. By irvinandprime on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

trigidy22 child please chris johnson would win

48. By RED BIRD 66 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

The fans wouldn’t be so worried about Leinarts preseason performance if he was a proven NFL QB. He has yet to prove anything yet. He got hurt and then lost his job to Warner and has pouted ever since. It doesn’t seem that the team is even behind him this year as he has no leadership. I think it is quite a stretch to even talk about Warners 2009 preseason-he is a hall of famer. Matt has shown nothing in AZ. Time to move on, mabye Seattle will trade Whitehurst for him.

49. By Rick on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I am not concerned about Leinart yet!! Let’s give him until the 4th game before we throw him away. The preseason does matter some but it is really hard to make any real judgements on 15 plays or so. Matt hasn’t really been given the opportunity to make any adjustments as the game goes on or really get into the flow of the game!! I would also like to point out in the first drive against the Titans Matt did throw for 10 yards total (first pass to Breaston for 8, second pass to Breaston for 2 yards) which would have been a 1st down if the run game didn’t lose yardage on 2nd down!!! I’m just sayin’…

50. By 98CardsFan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Nice video, was a bit short, but it was fun to watch. just read DRC will only stick to one side and that is a mistake. I guess what Aeneas did for us years ago will never be seen again.

51. By tomryaz10 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I agree with NashvilleCardsfan but I disagree that you are Nashville’s #1 Cards fan. I think I hold that title since I have still held my season tickets in AZ for the past 14 years. haha. Glad there are more of us here however. I DO have to agree that at least some Cards should have stayed. Onrea Jones came over to talk to his family and I did see John Skelton also. While Deuce and others were doing some extra conditioning, “some” Cardinals should have stayed behind and honestly, Matt can use all the positive PR and MOJO he can get. I saw at least a dozen people who bought souvenier Cardinal helmets and with sharpies in hand were leaving disappointed. I know also Coach Whiz stayed till much later to do a local radio bit. I was glad to see there were quite a few Cards fans there, I was disappointed that we weren’t acknowledged with a few autographs.

52. By CLR on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I agree with other comments about Matt Leinart. Seeing his brieif interview on the sidelines last week showed me that his heart isn’t in it. I think his attitude, or lack of, is only bringing the Cards down. There is no FIRE there. Maybe he’s just not happy here in AZ. If he isn’t, let him move on. I LOVE Cardinals football. Does Matt?

53. By Mac on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I need to hear news on the TE situation, cause there are undervalued.

1) 3 or 4 TE’s before final cuts?
    2) Patrick is safe, Dray has no chance, who makes it (Becht, Spach, Byrd)?

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Mac —

Wow, a TE question. Could be four. I could see Dray on the PS.

2. Aug 26, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com