Anderson to start at QB in Chicago

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2010 – 12:10 pm

For a game at least, Derek Anderson is the starting quarterback for the Cardinals.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that today after practice, although he emphasized this is simply flipping the script from last week – when Anderson played with the first unit after Matt Leinart came out of the game. Leinart will still be the second quarterback in, and he’ll get his first chance to run the two-minute offense at the end of the first half and then play in the third quarter.

This is about sorting through the roster – Whisenhunt is looking at other first-unit depth chart changes this weekend, like Greg Toler at cornerback and Daryl Washington at inside linebacker – and not necessarily a permanent thing. Of course, the quarterback situation will be a much, much bigger deal on the national stage and even in Arizona.

“I don’t think we have performed the way we should have on offense,” Whisenhunt said. “We’re looking at different players in different spots.”

I’ll have much more later in a story. This will be the big news of the day though. The fact Larry Fitzgerald did some work – light work – in a helmet and shells was lost in the shuffle by the end of the extra-long practice.

Tags: , , , , , ,

106 Responses to “Anderson to start at QB in Chicago”

1. By Thomas77 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Uh ohhhhhh….

“Let the bodies hit the flo!”

2. By Chad on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

At USC, Leinart didn’t flourish until he was given the reins on the offense. Not starting him will further sink his confidence – which seems to be exactly what we don’t want.

I’m a scared of Anderson playing quarterback for this team. He is an inaccurate gun slinger who has proven to have gotten it wrong more often than getting it right. Leinart gives us the chance to win in the sense that he doesn’t hurt us (turnovers) and allows other players (Beanie hopefully) to take over the game. Anderson is a wildcard and he will make one good play for 5 bad ones. I’d lean towards the side of consistency over sporadic play.

I don’t think the playbook has been opened for Leinart thus far. He seems like he needs some time to get comfortable in the game. So I suppose more playing time (and going against the second unit) will give him more practice and hopefully build his confidence.

3. By 98CardsFan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

wow. too many things to say, but will have to see what plays out, but I think we have a pretty good idea. the defense, all depths, need to step up their tackling. good reporting Darren, thanks

4. By Logan Cooper on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I honestly don’t think he has gotten enough game time play. I have been a supporter of ML from the beginning. That being said, his presence on the field has been lack luster. That’s putting it nice. He has no fire or zip to any of his throws and he has always left his receivers high and dry to get creamed. I am sorely disappointed in the lack of game time playing and his overall play in pre-season.

Sorry Matt, I think your time in Arizona is done, unless you finally step up after five years.

5. By 24cardsfan90 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Oh well. Next year is OUR year

6. By 98CardsFan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I do have one question for you, how long will DA be in? 3 series, good or bad? Or will Whiz keep him in their till he gets what he wants out of him?

7. By Rick R. on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

WOW, this could be huge…

Darren, I can’t remember, did Whiz do something like this (i.e. flip-flop the QB’s) during the preseason when Kurt and Matt were competing for the starter?

8. By Rick on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I think this is a BAD move. BUT I will trust Coach Whis, he has earned that!!!

9. By Mrbyte on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

What is Whiz doing!!! Matt already looks like damaged goods this could kill his confidence altogether. this is more than a warning shot across Matts bows
    maybe the rumours are true and Matt will be gone by season start……

10. By Joe-B on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

What do you think of how everyone in the media [Mort, Sando, PFT, etc] thinks this means that Matt is done as the starter?

11. By We'll miss Q on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Well I think this is Whiz trying one LAST thing to push Matt into being more of a leader. Say what you want about it being”his personality”, but it hasn’t worked. If he had the success, arm strength, or ability to read a defense that say Eli Manning does(who has a low kep approach as well) then that would be different. Matt just hasn’t acted with a sense of urgency, fire, or command that is required.

12. By Steve on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    Yes this is big news, if only to see what how both QBs react to the change. However, the real failure during these 1st 2 pre-season games has been the Offensive Line. After all, Whiz had been saying since OTA’s that the O- Line would be a strong point, if not the all out strength of this team. Actually, no area on the 1st team has looked worse so far, including the Leinart. And as unimpressive as Matt has been, I don’t think anyone, at any point EVER thought that position was a strong point on this team.
    I think the coaches, media and everyone else should be addressing the fact our O-Line got their butts kicked up and down the field and have looked terrible, don’t you?

13. By Steve on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Sorry for the bad grammar. I was a little emotional, and I tend to type too fast. Thanks.

14. By Ven aka sweetninjamonkey on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Wow this is a pretty big deal I think… and its going to get blown up in the media no doubt. specially since its the 3rd preseason game and thats when the starters stay on the field longer then any other preseason game.

15. By Nikko on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

ok Darren–

I am confused by this move, is this just a way to get more time & reps for Leinart?? And if this game offensively panned out like the other 2 games where neither QB has done much or looked that effective, would it be premature for me to say “Why not look @ Skelton or Hall NOW”??? THANKS DARREN

16. By John on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I would like to be happy about the situation. But really, teams that switch QB’s tend to have no QB.

Darren, I asked this earlier (months ago). With the fact that the cards were looking at Whitehurst and other young QB’s, doesnt that say Whiz is uncomfortable with his QB situation?

Lets hope Anderson can put this to rest.

17. By bobF on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Boy oh boy. What the public and media will read into this one.

18. By Brent on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

So does this mean Beanie will start as well?

19. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

my guess is we may see some Lutui and if levi brown was as bad as he looked that guy could be in trouble also.

20. By Eric on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

What do you think about the trade rumors? Do you think Seattle is interested? Do you think there’s any chance of a Leinart for Hasselbeck trade? Probably not, but just wishful thinking, I guess.

21. By sean on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

What a waste…It seems no one listens to the guy that knows Matt Leinart best, Pete Carrol…this will demolish anything Leinart has left…hopefully not…but I think it will…honestly its a waste of good talent…because I think overall Leinart has more talent then Anderson, who I see as someone who will turn the ball over more than we can keep up with…oh well…hopefully somebody somewhere proves my feelings wrong…I just want the Cards to win…guess we will see.

22. By TILLMAN#1 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I am a fan of Matt but this might be good for him, maybe kick him into gear and start showing some urgency to get his job back!!!

23. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

So Darren, do you buy what they are saying at face value?

And as a follow-up, do you think if Leinart had been extra-sharp in the first two preseason games that Anderson would be starting in Chicago?

24. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

what would really suck for matt is if they move brown to second unit and he is left as vulnerable as he was with the first unit. i hope they leave the running backs in place also as it would be kind of unfair to both tim and matt if the main problem with the line moved back with them and made them look worse than they are.

25. By Fitz4Mtrushmore on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

WOW!!! DA starting in 1st real test?

I really believe Wiz wants to keep Skelton & Hall on the roster & thus making the worst performer between DA & Leinart a waiver wire casulty despite what the team owes them in $$$. Matt Leinart’s confidence must be zero right now & I really believe he will succeed in this league somewhere, sometime!!!

26. By Will Brodsky on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Wow.

27. By JJSan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I like what Coach Whiz is doing here, starting DA. Although I support Matt 100%, I think what Coach is doing is necessary not only to get DA some time and work in a starting role, but also to show Matt that just like in the 2008 preseason when he lost his job to Kurt, that he must perform in the preseason and show he is capable of running our offense to secure not only his job with the team but also ensure his future here. It is very important for Matt to establish a rhythm for not only the time he is in there but a rhythm that can give our guys a positive feeling heading into St Louis. What do you think Darren?

28. By Ben on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

After 5 years, constant debate, pictures, questions of drive and leadership and questionable pre-season, etc etc this cannot end well for ML. Coach just fed him to the wolves; fans, media, teamates. If coach is really keeping ML and wants him to be the started then IMO this is the wrong way to go about it. This is just going to crush ML and beat him when things are already down.

Unless coach is ready to go with DA, this was a bad move in my opinion and will only end badly.

We shall see…

29. By Ben on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Also, Why no put Beannie in if you want “production” TH ran for -4 yards in the last game. Oh, that must have been the O-lines fault, or maybe MLs fault. But when Matt can’t buy 1.5 seconds of time it is his fault.

Why not call a running play on some of those 2nd and short or 3rd and short situations?

I am going to be pissed if this week we run 70% and pass 30% and DA gets to utilize the play action, where as the past two games its been all pass and the D can tee off on ML. Just doesnt sound like a level playing field. Of course I am speculating.

30. By A on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

someone call Kurt… we could be soooo good if he was here but I’m worried… I’ve been positive and supported every step of the way but being honest… I’m not panicking but I’m not confident either…

Can someone seriously talk to Kurt? The guy is bored out of his mind in retirement waiting for that phone to ring…

31. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Doesn’t mean anything. Maybe now Leinart will get a chance to actually run some plays and shut everyone up. My guess is Whiz wants to light a fire under Matt with this move.

32. By Jones from IL on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, you have seen these 4 quarterbacks in practice, which one of them gives you the impression that they are confident, leaders on the field?
    I mean even Sanchez of the Jets seemed confident, right?

33. By Brandon on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Do you think leinert will stay out? Or is it DA now?

34. By CZarr on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m not making too much of the roster moves considering Whiz’s propensity for things like this during preseason, but could this just be another one of his experiments to see how Leinart “reacts”? I for one am glad we will get to see Leinart take more reps if it really is just about flipping the roles from the previous two weeks. What are your thoughts on who starts game 4, or is it possible that will be based entirely on game 3 performance?

35. By Frustrated on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

This is idiocy on the part of Cardinal management. I have not seen anything that rivals the benching of Leinert since Denny Green insisted on running Edge at Urlacher 25 times in one game.

This move actually reminds me of something. It smells like a politician worrying about getting re elected and it is a month before the elections.

Anderson would be about as successful throwing rocks at his receivers as he would a football because he has no touch with the ball, as was demonstrated in the endzone Monday night. Particularly if Roberts is going to be on the field, this is true. One can’t throw and the other can’t catch. What a combination!

36. By Sedona Chris on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

i second that, Chirp… Everyone’s been bagging on Matt for every little mistake when his line is still trying to adjust to each other and form a cohesive unit…In Matt I trust

37. By Darthcard on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Well this is just a looksy at everyone. But honestly there has been alot of drama about the cards. If this keeps up people will start calling us drama queens. For the love of god I can’t for the real games. Matt or Derek? I just wanna win.

38. By Frustrated on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

what does your comment is awaiting moderation mean?

39. By NorthernCard on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit, this move makes me nervous as hell. Matt hasn’t exactly looked great but I have been chalking most of the poor play by him and the team up to it being the preseason. This makes me think there are some very serious issues that just are now being brought to light. Perhaps that’s just really naive of me. Darren, in your opinion, is this just a motivational move (trying to light a fire under ML butt) or is Whiz really taking a serious look at DA as the starting QB?

40. By FightON on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I’ve said it for awhile, Matt was never meant to be in AZ…hopefully, he’ll get traded and succeed somewhere else! The fans hate him, the coaches aren’t sold…it’s no shame, and has happened many times before. The NFL is a business, from both sides, no ties or emotion, time to move on.

41. By Big Red on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck, Matt. Hope you have a successful outing. I know you can do it. In Whiz we trust.

42. By Pat on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

This is not an attempt to light a fire under Leinart. Whiz, his staff and all NFL know this guy is just too slow to process his reads, too slow a delivery and slow feet. Whiz and the front office should be ashamed of themselves that they got caught with their collective pants down when Kurt left and they did not step up to adequately fill the position. Whiz needs to stop all the double talk and commit to one of these guys, so the team can too.

43. By Eazy E on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

DA this is your chance to take this job. Leinart is scared of competition and it shows. Whiz don’t trust him and I wouldn’t either. Come on DA, put on a good performance and your the starter against the Rams.

44. By raymond on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I dont think leinart will do much of anything for my cards but hurt them with his sloppy play heck max hall has a better chance to get a starting job and put leinart back in the celler where he belongs. i have no faith in leinart…………..

45. By Brian on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Leinart should be in from the start. He either is the starter or he is not. I wish these games would stop. Cardinal Fans for Leinart.

46. By ron on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Chirp,

thats the problem. I always supported leinart, and still think everything is going to be ok…

BUT, he should already be lit on fire, excited to show his skills. Thats the thing the commentators are all saying about Leinart. The lack of sense of urgency. I’m starting to see it myself. Im just hoping theyre wrong.

47. By John on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

This certainly shakes my faith in the coaching staff. They have been watching these guys daily for months and in Leinart’s case years. What has suddenly changed? If they had a clue, they could have gotten someone else – McNabb?
    Is this the end of playoffs and winning seasons? I certainly hope not.

48. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

ps this will get people on matts side, generate a little sympathy for him. instead of people screaming for matt to be replaced people will be screaming for him to get a real chance. yes they will be different people but angry people are louder and this may be a little strategic manipulation of the crowd.

49. By Bill L on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

When does someone question…..how do you come out of training camp without a number one? There should be one better than the other. If they are sooooooo equal then just pick one. Is that hard? Would someone stand up and question the coach……isn’t trying to prepare 2 QBs the same as preparing NONE…..isn’t your starter set up to fail?…..no O-line, No proper preparation…which poor soul will be thrown to the wolves? After You, DA….No, after You Matt…..No, after You DA……….. Will someone ask Whiz….do you have any Clue…..AT ALL?

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Brent —

51. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

John —

They knew they needed a vet, even if Leinart would work. The Whitehurst talks were before they signed Anderson.

52. By Dylan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Well this makes things interesting now…. idk about this at all but will see

53. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Northern Card —

I think Anderson is getting a serious look. Leinart, too, in these circumstances.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

CZarr —

It is looking to see how Leinart reacts. Anderson too. And the rest of the offense. If the offense responds better to Derek, regardless of why it didn’t with Matt, I am sure coaches will notice.

55. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Brandon —

If DA plays well, it’ll be tough to turn back. But that’s a big if.

56. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Jones —

I am not sure, from my vantage point, I am qualified to see that. They look like quarterbacks at practice.

57. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

JJSan —

I think the Cards need a QB to play well for them. I don’t think the coaches care who that is, as long as it is someone.

58. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Jim in Missouri —

I think I wouldn’t close the door on Matt yet, but he’s in a worse spot than this time last week for sure.

59. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

I think if there were to be a trade — and I don’t know if there will be — it’d be for a draft pick, probably.

60. By cards>niners on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

that will be great for matt’s confidence..

61. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Nikko —

For the 1,000th time, neither Hall or Skelton are ready to start in the NFL. Period.

62. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

63. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

Who knows? Maybe they have better sources.

64. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Rick R —

Yes he did.

65. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

98Cards —

DA will play a good chunk of the first half, it sounds like.

66. By Paul on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Maybe we can get Whitehurst after all. With Seattle happy with Hasslebeck so far, maybe we can trade ML for C. Whitehurst straight up. Anything could happen at this point right?

67. By cardssunscats on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Light a fire? More like kick him in the @$$.He shouldn’t need a fire lit under him, it was his team to run and he’s not doing it…plain and simple. But unto the article. Mr. Urban I know you really can’t take sides inside the Cardinals organization, but to say it’s just a sorting of the roster? I see it as do we keep ALL QB’s on roster with the possibility of releasing Matt or Derek later so we don’t lose Hall or Skelton. Was happy with ML sitting and learning all this time and WAS behind him. But his demeanor on and off the field is one of a lost player who doesn’t know if he loves or hates football. Just seems he’s going through the motions of the game with no real emotion. Good luck to the Cardinals whoever they decide to start. Lets go bear hunting!!!!

68. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

CardsSuns —

I didn’t say it was sorting out the roster. Whisenhunt said that (or at least, I am paraphrasing).

69. By CrazyLady25 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Matt = West Coast offense

Whiz does not = West Coast offense

John Skelton is the QB of the Future. Darren, I started researching him way back when you mentioned in passing that Whiz was looking at Skelton.

But you don’t start a rookie right away. We’ll see Skelton by the 10th – 12th game. In the meantime, Whiz might be making the decision on which QB.

70. By vsancards on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I think this is further evidence that Coach Whiz just does not trust Leinart for whatever reason. If that is going to be the case, then the Cards should let Matt go. I think it is a shame really since, I believe he will be a quality NFL quarterback. I just don’t think he fits Coach Whiz ideal mold.

71. By NorthernCard on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

As the third preseason game is typically where the starters get most of their work (and I think that’s been true for the cards the last couple years as well) it would appear to me that Whiz is sending a very clear message that Leinart is not working out. What I don’t understand is, the organization has had 4 years to figure this out and they’re just now making this move? I guess I just don’t understand the timing and/or reasoning.

72. By ben on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

almost laying on the editors floor like a bad part cut from a movie, #7’s career, thank heaven, the end is finally here. if #7 seven doesnt win the starting job again, do you think the team will try and trade him to the seahawks lol

73. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

maybe we can trade matt lienart, andre roberts and stephen williams with the eagles for michael vick and a corner.

74. By aitchem on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Don’t get it. Against the Titans, Leinart gets to run three whole series. Three ‘three-and-outs’. The O line gave him absolutely zero support. Zero. They couldn’t run either – again, the O line sucked. Then, Anderson comes in. Whiz gave him, what? Basically half the game??

Happened here against Houston too. Anderson has tons of time, and does very, very little with it. Except look great on one pass play, then totally hose the next, like missing a wide open receiver ten yards away in the endzone. Why not give Matt that much time to work? Or has Whiz been planning to start Anderson this whole time?

With Matt we have a chance. For heaven’s sake, let the kid develop. His starting opportunities here have been so few and far between there’s been no chance for him to develop consistency at game level. Anderson’s had that chance, and he is incapable of consistency.

Trying not to read too much into one preseason start, but as has been said previously – exactly how is this supposed to help Matt’s confidence? Unless, of course, that’s not the goal.

This is not good a good sign, people.

75. By dean on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

In Whiz i trust…I moved to Texas this year and had to get Direct tv so i could wach my cards play, I cant wait.Thair was no way i was going to be stuck waching Dallas!!!!! GO CARDS

76. By Jesse Robles on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Ken doesn’t like Matt, if he wanted it to be “FAIR COMPETITION” Matt wouldn’t only have 13 throws in pre season compared to Anderson’s 41 throws. DA is getting a better look then Matt that is for sure. If you can’t see it you are blind, obviously Matt’s Attitude, practice or something has to just IRRITATE Ken. It is something that we do not see everyday. Kurt Warners interview on NFL Network Yesterday pretty much told me that Matt is not an NFL QB. Kurt WOULD NOT SAY that Matt is ready to lead this team. It is in the Cardinals hands to do what is right, and I feel that they will make the right decision, I dont think the answer is DA or ML, but you can’t just throw a rookie in there either. Ill never lose faith in the Cards, STEP 1 is Winning the NFC West, one game at a time. LETS GO DEFENSE!! NEED YOU MORE THAN EVER!!!

77. By wayne on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, the Cardinals have not run the ball at all and that has put them in 3rd and long everytime, not many QB’s would be very succesfull in that situation, but when ANDERSON came in they were throwing the ball on first down but not with LEINART. The OFF-LINE has looked horrible and HIGHTOWER looks slow to the openings, I think that LEINART is getting to much blame, he didn’t play one down with BEANIE and no FITZ would hurt any QB. For some reason I just don’t think COACH WHIZ is giving him enough snaps with the best players on offense, I just don’t think we are any better with ANDERSON and if this is the way it pans out it was a huge mistake not to sign MARK BULGER, we all know he wanted to play here.
    Thanks, Wayne

78. By Chris on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Lienart is in for 3 or 4 series against the titans and cant do anything and Anderson’s first pass is the cards first first down of the game. i expect more from a 10 overall pick who sat behind and watched warner. sorry matt, but if you cant prove yourself, you are out.

79. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Wayne —

By the time Bulger was available, the team already signed Anderson.

80. By irvinandprime on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

well u need to by him some glasses and what happens when u find out he isnt any good either?

81. By Jesse Robles on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Lets not forget who our wide receivers are this game

82. By Walter L on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I think Beanie, Deuce, and maybe even Bridges at RT, should get the opportunity to start Saturday as well. If you’re looking at competion at the other spots and doing it, then these spots that are supposedly up for grabs should be evaluated in the same fashion. It’s not only fair, but it gives the team the best chance to win.

83. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

What’s all the fuss? Given the nature of the head coach, this is really no big surprise, nor should it really be any cause for alarm. While I get a litle tired of the “In Whiz we trust” mantra sometimes, this is truly a situation where I trust him 100%. In 2008, he declared an open competiton at QB ( after previously naming Leinart the starter ) and the result was that the best interests of the team were served. Well, I’m all for it now as well. This has nothing to do with either QB right now and where they sit on the depth chart. This is about the team and who looks best running the offense right now. Period. Know what? Whiz is doing exactly what a head coach should be doing – trying to figure out what is best for this team. And I applaud him for it.

That said, I really am starting to wonder if both Leinart and Anderson are going to make it to opening day as Arizona Cardinals. That’s not based on anyone’s report, that is just my gut feeling at this point. And if that does end up happening, I’m OK with it. The way I feel at this point, I would rather see one of them – whoever has earned it – get a chance to lead this team as the starter. And if it doesn’t work out, I’d rather see either Skelton or Hall get a chance to audition for the job.

84. By Walter L on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think Coach Whisenhunt would put John Skelton or (if they keep him) Max Hall in at Holder on field goal attempts? It would give them more opportunities on the field, a better chance to make the team (and could justify keeping 4 QBs), and would allow Whiz to run more gadget plays and keep our offense on the field.

85. By terrence kelly on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Wow how soon people loose faith in the best coach since who knows when people need to get a grip ..
    I remember when they said the same thing about washed up warner everybody wanted ML then and now I TRUST IN WIZ thats why thay hired him.
    WIZ doesnt look at the person he looks at the player that is why the cardinals are were they are right now with so much spotlight on them..
    We are finally winners and its time to enjoy it….

86. By klutch on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Questions at QB? More like questions at running back. How can you expect Leinart to move the chains if Hightower keeps getting dropped in the backfield. Put Beanie in and give Leinart a chance.

87. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Sportingnews reports: “Arizona quarterback Matt Leinart is benched again.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt has tabbed Derek Anderson as the starter for Saturday night’s preseason game at Chicago.

Whisenhunt says Anderson will be used for the first quarter and that Leinart would play at some point during the game.”

I’m not a hater of QB Matt L however I don’t understand why Matt hasn’t got his skill set to show up on the field. This is the NFL you are not a kid anymore Matt L. All that talent surrounding Matt L at USC seems to have made Matt L look like the real deal and fooled former HC D Green into making him the 10th overall pick. Funny thing is most thought it was a solid move but now it could mean 50mill down the drain for the Cards. What team would bring him in regarding a trade? He has shown nothing. Sad that Whiz tried to massage his EGO by announcing Matt L the starter in the off season only to see him not take full advantage of the situation. He has not won over his own teammates much less the fans.

Yes the OL has not fully demonstrated the top billing by the coaching staff and no doubt it will take time but even when Matt L had time to throw he was not on the same page with WR’s he has been throwing to all off season regardless of the WR’s level of NFL experience.

Once the Raiders got rid of their worst QB J jelly doughnut Russell the team has a new mindset that they can win and that they have. Sure it’s mid way through preseason but QB Matt L had plenty of time to get ready for this season and still he looks unprepared to get the job done.

The good thing is Whiz can always say hey I didn’t draft QB Matt L. But Whiz did draft QB J Skelton enough said.

88. By Bryan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Our season is officially messed up:-(

Why why why didn’t we go after McNabb?!?!?!?!?!!!!

89. By Carddan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

We can speculate all we want. I think I am a better fan than Coach Whisenhunt, that’s my job. There is no doubt that he is a better coach, no matter what happens, I hope he looks like a genius when it’s done.

90. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Walter L —

You don’t know who will be active week to week. You know Graham will be active.

91. By Audrey on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Why not? Rookies have started in the NFL before. They went to smaller colleges but then again so have many of the hall of fame QB’s.

92. By Pete n NJ on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

If DA is the starter 9for the saeon)will the OL starters go back to their original positions they were in last year? Afterall, Levi was moved to the left side to protect ML.

93. By Jay Torok on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall seems to be the style that will best serve the top receivers that are still on hand for the Cardinals. In all truth, Matt Leinert is O.K., but left handed is a problem. Also, he HAS NO IDEA AS TO HOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE STRENGTHS OF HIS RECEIVERS. He throws only cupcakes, andhas no fire. No pep, and no sense of urgency. He is quick to blame. The Cardinals are very fortunate to have a receiveer who is quick, has good hands, is tall, and is competitive. . . .Stephen Williams, and it would be a mistake to not use him as they did Boldin las season.

94. By Richard S on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Matt fan, but whomever Whiz says is our QB is the man. I just hope we don’t return to the old days when we’d have a new QB every 4 games. McCown wins 2 of his last 3 and gets booted. I don’t want to go back to those 4-9-1 seasons (14 games seasons) and 5-11 seasons when the games were expanded. Of course if it goes to an 18 game season, then I guess that could expand to 6-12.

95. By juan e on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

give ml a break,the whole team stunk.o-line,defense, receivers,a coaches,
    and yes even the playcalling

96. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

McNabb again??? Really? I don’t know, maybe it’s me…I really don’t know what you think you were getting with McNabb, but I don’t think he was the answer. Granted, we may not have the answer, either, as it turns out. But I have no regrets about McNabb now, and don’t think I will in the future. The Eagles could have continued on with him but chose to go with a young, VERY un-proven QB. What does that tell you? After 10 years with the guy, the Eagles definitely know more than you or I and they chose to move on.

97. By cardinalsfan100 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I dont think that matt has played enough to really judge him well.i think leinart will be fine. he has only thrown three incompletions. he hasnt turned the ball over. of course it would have been nice to see him drive down the field and throw a td but he needs to play more. and the Tennessee game the o-line sucked. we will have to wait and see i suppose.

98. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Pete —

Nothing has been set in stone for the season.

99. By James on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

To all of you all that don’t think Whisenhunt has a clue,I say he knows exactly what he;s doing.The same way you all are complaining about Leinart’s performance are probably some of the same people who complained about Warner’s performance last preseason.You all do this every year,get all bent out-of-shape over preseason games.Coach said that he was flipping the script from last week.That’s all he said.He didn’t say DA was going to be the starter.He didn’t say Leinart wasen’t going to be.All he said was he was flipping the script from last week.You all took that and have ran a mile with it.If Leinart don’t do well,it’s still only preseason.If DA don’t well,it’s still only preseason.Oh and Hall and Skelton ARE NOT READY to be starting QB’s in the NFL yet.They are rookies for crying out loud!Some of you people kill me with that.People just calm down,it’s going to turn out alright when it really matters(regular season).

100. By TBru on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Leinart supporter since the day Kurt retired, but I am really not seeing the fire, the leadership. I predicted Matty might be gone, and DA will lead the team this year while the rookies both get a shot at the future. This team has the talent to succeed but leadership is important. Why so much love for Bulger? what did the Rams do the last few years? What have they done since well…. after Kurt Warner was traded away. With Fitz out, the QB has to be the leader I will go to war with Stevie, Early and Beantower any day of the week, but they are all relatively young guys. I just don’t think #7 and Wiz were a good matchup.

Hasselback is washed up, Vick is a bum, Kurt isn’t coming back. I hope Derek can seize the moment or Matt catches fire. If getting re slotted in a preseason game, breaks Matt’s spirit, he definitely isn’t the guy we want, if it makes him better, than power to the coaches. If the move is made, Brown should go back to his natural position This is a transition year (not a rebuilding year), but I like the way Wiz and Graves draft and build a team. I think the birds can be good for many years to come, but not doing everything possible to win this year could be critical. The cards have been shuffled, now everyone has to play their hand and take the pot.

101. By desertpirate on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

If all we’re doing is waiting for Skelton to mature, we need to go after someone who’ll lead this team and give Skelton someone to model himself after, (leadership-wise anyway) The Cards could give up a 5th round pick next year to the Titans and probably get Kerry Collins. Collins still has some stuff left in the tank. Certainly he’d be able to lead this team for 10 or 12 games. It’s pretty obvious that DA is just what Cleveland saw when they released him.

102. By CrazyLady25 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I feel sorry for Matt. i would feel really sorry if he didn’t make millions of dollars when he got drafted #10 (I would not have drafted him that high).

But look at what Kurt Warner went through. It was a lot more difficult for him than it was for Matt.

When I was doing research, I came across a website run by Adrian Peterson (yes, the one actually put out by him), and he had a pre-draft website. He picked John Skelton in the 3rd and said about him — “Can you imagine having him to follow Favre?”

I saw John Luck one time last year. I couldn’t believe he was just a freshman, he has “IT”. Matt doesn’t. Unfortunately, neither does DA, but he at least inspires his guys, and he really got unfairly blasted for the last two .

103. By James on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Everyone states Skelton is not ready for the NFL….I remember a unknow guy who “was not ready for the NFL’ that was forced to play due to a hurt Trent Green. The guy played very well,a nd shocked the world….Kurt Warner. From what I saw in Skeltons play, he was very calm, threw a great ball, and moved the ball down the field no problem..

104. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

James —

Here’s the problem with comparing Skelton or Hall to a Warner or a Brady. Warner or Brady were already pros for a few years before they “came out of nowhere.” Neither did anything their first year out of college.

105. By desertpirate on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Warner had been a pro for quite a few years. He was an elite QB in the AFL, then went to NFL Europe. He’d practiced with the Packers who had plenty of QBs on the roster at the time, before he hooked on with the Rams.

I remember watching him with the Iowa Barnstormers in Phoenix. In that league you had to have a fast release and his was much quicker than most. I told my son then, that “This guy” could be NFL material. I certainly didn’t like the way he shredded my Rattlers defense.

Skelton may, infact, have “IT”, but it would sure be a shame to have the “IT” scared out of him by playing him too soon. I still think we need a decent veteran for him to apprentice behind. Too bad the staff didn’t see the “Matty Meltdown” sooner. But then maybe they did……..they drafted Skelton.

2. Aug 26, 2010: Derek Anderson to Start Cardinals’ 3rd Pre-Season Game | The Other 31