Looking for answers

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2010 – 3:27 pm

“You want answers?”

“I think I’m entitled.”

“You want answers?!?”

“I WANT THE TRUTH!”

“YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!”

I’m not so sure that sequence (man, I love that movie) could fit any better into the place everyone is right now with the Cardinals’ quarterbacks. I know in a lot of ways my head is ready to explode.

So I got a tweet this afternoon from @mbodmer: “@Cardschatter put yourself out there. what happens week 1. 1-3 and PS qb’s. give us something real.” OK, something real. Well, reality is this – I don’t think the Cardinals know for sure what that’s going to look like 10 days from now. I’m not sure how I am supposed to figure it out.

I’m not going to lie, and anyone who has read my stuff knows this anyway: I thought all along Matt Leinart would at least start the season under center. I suppose that can still happen. He will have Beanie Wells behind him at running back for the first time in Chicago barring something unforeseen, so maybe that helps in some way. But clearly, had Leinart played the way the Cards were hoping, Derek Anderson would not be starting against the Bears. I can still see a scenario where Leinart plays against the Rams Sept. 12, and obviously, I can see Anderson playing as well.

But this has gone further than who starts. It’s also about who is on the roster.

Let’s just take today’s news/speculation and extrapolate it out. Let’s say Anderson becomes the permanent starter. Do you try to trade Leinart? Release him? It makes for easy decisions on John Skelton and Max Hall – they’d stay, of course – but where does that leave you? Let’s say Anderson falters or gets hurt. Are you riding with Hall – who was, despite looking pretty decent in camp, is still undrafted and most certainly unproven? Skelton, who is even more raw than Hall?

Another scenario is Anderson starting in front of Leinart, and keeping a young guy (and making the other young guy on the practice squad). Can Leinart handle, especially mentally, being a backup again? Can the Cards get either Hall or Skelton to the practice squad?

(Quick aside: It’s not necessarily easy to get a guy through to the practice squad, but it’s not easy to take a guy either. Don’t forget, it’s not like another team could take Hall or Skelton and put him on its practice squad. They’d have to put him on their active roster.)

Or, of course, the Cards could keep four QBs. But on a team with depth issues in spots, losing a valuable roster spot to a player who would always be inactive and would have a hard time getting practice reps with three other QBs just seems difficult to do.

The answer, for me, is that there is no answer. Not now, not with two preseason games and a couple weeks before the first game. I could be off base, but I don’t think I am. Coach Ken Whisenhunt probably wishes everything was set in stone, but he said today it wasn’t and, given the circumstances, that makes sense to me. Things change quickly — just ask this guy (below) that was at the Titans’ game. That’s the truth, whether you choose to handle it or not.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

78 Responses to “Looking for answers”

1. By David on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Seriously Darren….hold me….im freakin scared lol

2. By KidStallyn on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I really think this move is crap if Whiz truley thinks that Derek Anderson has played better thoughout the two games. First off, what chance did Matt really get last game? Nothing! He was given nothing but blame for the fact the offensive line play was terrible. It’s Lienart’s fault the O-line gave up -4 ads on 3 Carries?? Load of horse crap! Give him all the tools, stop neutering the offense, and hold the front 5 accountable for their dreadful performances! Focus blame where it belongs!!!

3. By irvinandprime on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

i am not sure any card fan wants to hear the truth or can handle it either that u got a top 10 bust who is better at hot tube and beer bongs than ball. i believe in the long run skelton will b your guys best bet

4. By Deveau on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Quite a nasty spot the organization finds itself in. My question is this, Leinart’s been around since he was drafted. Does it normally take that long to gauge a player’s potential? It’s been 4 years. At what point is he determined to be a failure/success?

If I had to take a bet, unless play performance changes in the next few weeks, Leinart’s the guy I see going. Would you speculate on that scenario, and whether or not he has any trade value at this point in time?

Kind regards,

Cris

5. By Brett on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Skelton is the answer to the future….DA is the answer right now. I would rather move the ball with points and potential picks than not move it at all…

6. By ChrisH479 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Bad news for Matty… I hope he can turn this into a positive and light things up on Saturday. This is probably his last shot to show the coaches that he’s capable of being a starter in this league. I expect to see some fire in the otherwise calm eyes of Matt Leinart.

7. By Dylan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

if this is how its gonna work id rather see MAX hall start over derek he is horrible and i mean horrible

8. By Nick Pepe on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

My take is Matt is done. And I don’t think at this point he has trade value. I think he looks scared, doesn’t care or knows he just can’t. If he can’t overwhelm and earn the job then he is done. And I don’t think that is possible.

9. By Pheenic Cromartie on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m starting to think that Coach Whiz is messing with the media. He’s doing all sorts of stuff to just mess with their minds. I bet he wants the Cardinals to be totally underestimated when the season comes, and then blow everyone out of the water.

As they say, In Whiz We Trust. I’m completely confused about what’s going on, but I’ll stick with Coach Whiz through whatever he does. He’s earned that.

Darren, how much time do you think Matt Leinart will get to play in the game vs. Chicago?

10. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Agree, not knowable, but…

…Lienart is the QB when the dust settles, imho. Listened to your podcast on this as well, well done by all. Wolfley makes a pertinent point: Matt is less likely to turn the ball over. I think that carries the day. Whiz is being Whiz, he puts guys under pressure and sees if they can handle…”the truth” ;). I would not be surprised to learn that Fisher/Cecil blitzed 8 of 9 plays at Whiz’ request…he’s that wily. (Not a conspiracy theorist, but it was the first thing that came to mind watching the game…and we’ll never know). Same reason he doesn’t game plan..force them to react and see what they do.

I think the Cards will be just fine, I for one am enjoying the growing pains. Makes pre-season a lot more fun. And I think Whiz may have started DA regardless of how Matt did @ Tenn. Just to see how he does and Matt’s reaction. That’s the Whiz we trust. Go Cards.

11. By Alex G on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I thought Id adress the QB situation from my point of view! Althought the Media is always going to stir up the pot because the Brett Favre watch is over and there is nothing more to write about, I strongly feel this is another genius plan from coach Whiz. Leinart has only played a few plays because of 3 and outs and the fact that he is THE STARTING QB. Letting Anderson start not only helps coach Whiz see how he can play in the starting role, But it also allows Leinart to play an entire quarter against a first string Bears Defense.It will give the coaches a chance to see Leinart in action with a O-Line that should be on the same page by the second quarter and blocking for him, It also allows Leinart a chance in the second half to play against a second string bears Defense and build his confidence up by running more pass plays against a weaker defense to get his timing down. Just like Toler and Wells , playing second string is not because you arent going to be a STARTER ,its more about getting MORE EXPERIENCE and PLAYING TIME against a weaker Defense to just build up a little more confidence going into the season! Conclusion…Leinart Vs. Anderson at QB wont be decided upon until the bye week in WEEK 6!

So Leinart haters!! sit back and enjoy the upcoming season of Cardinal Playoff Football!

12. By Walter L on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you have interns or assistants to help you out on the site? You seem to start early and work late, and in between you’re doing podcasts with Clvisi and Wolfley, and answering all the fans questions to the best of you’re ability. I think you need a drink and a raise. lol

13. By Tyler on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

OMG! I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY. This is rediculous. I would rather go with the guy not throwing interceptions. Beanie will help Matt for sure. Someone put some since in Kenny. Whatever he does I hope it is the right decision.

14. By Rick on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Too much drama now with the Cards!!! I trust Coach Whis but I think he messed this one up. Are 6 possessions over 2 games and 13 pass attempts really enough??? I am disappointed in the timing of this decisision. Matt didn’t have a false start (Levi Brown) or run for MINUS 5 yards on those first series of the Titans game. Let Matt get into a rhythm. i think Coach Whis was just looking for any reason to not play Matt. Too bad, I think this kid is DONE as a Cardinal and I wouldn’t blame him for being angry.

15. By Carddan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

The truth is you WANT me on that wall,
    I’m just a fan and I will support the team no matter who ordered the code RED!

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

I speculated in the above blog. Does he have trade value? If they choose to let him go, I’d expect them to try a trade first. I don’t know what it would fetch though.

17. By Rick on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren – What are Matt’s statistics under Coach Whis compared to when Denny Green was the coach?

I see a TOTALLY different QB under Whis then when he was with Green (not saying Green is a better coach). I do believe that, if memory serves me correctly, pretty much every time Leinart has messed up he has been pulled under Whis. He hasn’t been given the opportunity to learn as the game goes on. We talk about Matt needing confidence and trust that it’s OK to make a mistake and I don’t think Coach Whis has given Matt that kind of support.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic –

I expect him to come in mid-to-late second quarter and deep into the third.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Walter L –

No assistants with what I do, although the able-bodied Pete McElroy runs the video and other parts of the site. I do need a beverage, so I am going to leave for a couple hours in just a couple minutes.

20. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

This move had to be done, ML had not take control of the offense when he was in there, bottom line it was ML job to loose and he opened up the door.
    I hope the rookies learn quickly, they might be starting this season?

Prediction, They release Matt after this year and Pete Carroll will pick him up in Seattle. way off maybe? or maybe not???

21. By Tyler comella on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

This is a good thing that whiz has decided to start aderson, maybe this could wake up Matt and he will start playing alot better. Also maybe this makes Anderson more comfortable and he starts to make alot of plays. My last point is that two of our top wideouts are hurt so both of these qbs numbers are going to decrease because we dont have fitz or early out on the feild.

22. By Maskin on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Seriously irvinandprime why do consider yourself a cowboys fan when you are always posting on the Cards website? The cowgirls haven’t had a serious contender since Aikman.

Darren, what is your gut telling you? Do you see us riding this thing out or is DA starting in week 3?
    I trust coach, and he has never steered us wrong.

PS. sorry about last posting was a little to excited.

23. By Richard S on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Undrafted QBs. I thought Jim Hart was pretty good out of Southern Illinois I think. Warner from Northern Iowa – I’m not sure if he was drafted or not?

24. By Tom on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

If you decide Leinart is not your franchise QB and Andersen is a temporary fix, isn’t it worth hanging on to both Hall and Skelton….even on the active roster? Especially if you believe either one might pan out.

25. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will start all 16. No worries here, Matt will take us to out 3rd consecutive NFC West title. Whisenhunt is just shaking it up; preseason is bogus.

26. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, thanks for the work you do and dealing with days like this and the dozens of questions you answer daily …

My question is: From what you’ve seen, do you think Leinart would be able to come back mentally from another benching to start the season? Coming up short in the competition with Warner is one thing, but then to be named the starter and lose the job in the preseason (again), this time to a street free agent, is another.

I know the coaches have to go with who they think gives the team the best chance to win in Week 1, but I would think benching Leinart would have the effect of basically writing him off for good.

27. By greg on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

why not let leinart play more before starting anderson? when anderson sucked it up in the first game atleast they gave him time to try to work out of it (sort of happened). why not give leinart the first half and see what happens. if he gets hurt he gets hurt but i dont feel like the cards have been patient enough with him so far this preseason.

28. By Zack on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I have read a few places that leinart simply isn’t Coach Whiz’s guy. Could this be the case? I feel like how has leinart been given any kind of chance at all when he has around 13 passes this preseason and DA has about 40? Also DA has gotten to run with Beanie, who thus far into the preseason has been running much better than hightower.

I guess my question is could Whiz be bias? I hate to think that because I think the man is a genius, but I’m getting a sense of unfairness. I don’t think Matt has done anything to lose the job, and I don’t think DA has done anything to gain the job.

Any opinions?

29. By kyle on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

if leinart falls apart I’d rather see one of the two rookies play the rest off the season and get experience, rather than DA starting, he’s SO inaccurate

30. By phoenix phantom on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what do you think it would take to get Sage Rosenfels from the Vikings and do you think he would fit in well and succeed in our system. I think he’s a good quarterback who hasn’t been given the keys to the car…I don’t understand the lack of interest in him by the Cards or the NFL for that matter. Am I not seeing the whole picture?

31. By Nitz on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I think Whiz is trying to light fire under Leinart, I think he wants to see Leinart play with a sense of urgency. Darren, if they do make a move do you think they would make a move for Bulger?

32. By cardsftw on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I am sticking by what i said on here a while ago… cut DA let matt take the lead and groom the other two!

33. By Tyler on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Every time I post something for you, you seem to dodge the depth chart question. When do you expect the depth chart to be updated? Big red please. Let me know.

34. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

IF the Cardinals decide that they’re going with Anderson as their starter going into this season, Matt Leinart is finished here. Period. He can’t stay because he has no future here whatsoever anymore. None. They can’t even keep him as the back-up. If the coaches don’t have enough confidence in Leinart to make him the starter, how can we expect the players to feel any different? How is Leinart supposed to come into a huddle and feel that he has the respect of the other 10 guys on the field? Also, what would that do to his trade value??? If the team that drafted him 6 years ago with the 10th pick in the draft chooses Derek Anderson over him, what can the Cardinals expect to ask for in return??? Would they have to cut him? Man, how sad would that be??? Hey, his former USC coach is up there in Seattle…maybe he’d be happy enough to have Leinart again that he might have some value to the Seahawks.

I already have said in a previous post – at this point, I really doubt that both Leinart and Anderson are going to be on this roster come opening day.

35. By BigRedFan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

They can bring Jim Hart and Stump Mitchell back if they want. Doesn’t matter. GO CARDINALS!!!!

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Rick –

I’d have to look those up which, given the circumstances, I don’t plan on doing right now.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Maskin –

My gut says if Anderson performs Saturday, it’ll be tough to dislodge him.

38. By Chris on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, It’s obvious to me you are working very hard keeping up with this blog. Keep up the great work, I’m sure we the public/fans can be annoying sometimes.

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Tom –

Fair points, but you only have so many roster spots and you are trying to win a very winnable division.

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Jim in Missouri –

Agree on the second point. On the first, it may be tough for Matt.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Phoenix phantom –

Rosenfels has had a couple of chances and he hasn’t wowed anyone.

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Nitz –

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

I am not “dodging” the question. There is an official depth chart. It’s the only depth chart. It is updated. Now, if you want to know if guys are moving around, I write about that every day. Read my stuff. But the depth chart comes from Ken Whisenhunt, and that’s that.

44. By Eazy E on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Leinart had to be benched AGAIN!!! We can trade for a sage rosenfels or tyler thigpen, troy smith, maybe michael vick, there are guys out there. All DA has to do is perform well against chicago and he has the starting job and is the starter at st. louis. Leinart we can either trade or cut if DA plays well against chicago, then trade for a rosenfels, thigpen, etc. to be the backup and go with the other 2 qbs(skelton, hall). Leinart can’t handle it, looks scared, lost, afraid of competition, get him outta here, sorry, used to be a big leinart fan but at some point, you gotta produce.

45. By Paul on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

If this thing blows up Saturday, we are in a world of hurt. The QB pickings on other rosters are pretty slim. Maybe we can work with Oakland for Bruce Gradkowski. If they don’t want ML straight up maybe we can throw in Reggie Wells in the deal. Just trying to come up with some ideas before the season spins out of control.

46. By Zack on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Ah so much going through my brain concerning the cardinals! lol
    just wanted to say thanks and you do a great job!

47. By phoenix phantom on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Well I hear Kellen Clemens name involved in trade rumors with the Cards and I can’t remember him doing anything of great importance…he must have more upside I hope…

48. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Completely off the subject, Darren, but aside from the online PDF version, do you know if the team is selling hard copies of the media guide?

All I can find for sale online are ones on eBay.

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Jim in Missouri –

I doubt it. The team prints very few copies anymore. You can ask the media relations department at akelley@cardinals.nfl.net.

50. By Gang6230 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Saturday. Will tell us who starts. Unfortunately leinart is not cutting it. I love this team. But it’s time to cut the losses and move forward with developing the rookies and letting a veteran move the ball at least Anderson moves the ball The cards have invested a lot of cash on leinart and there’s been no return. The great thing is that the receiving corps will be ready and the secondary is excellent by season opening. Go Cards

51. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I feel like I’m the calm spot in the eye of the storm. This isn’t about Leinart, it’s about Anderson. Whiz needs to see if Derek is whom the Cards want as second string. If he can’t perform as a backup(and Matt’s percentage numbers have been better than Anderson’s) and can’t make hay playing with the starters, HE may be the one cut.There will be several veteran QBs released after preseason.
    In my personal opinion, even if Derek “performs Saturday”, Matt won’t be “dislodged” as starting QB.
    Sorry, Damien.

52. By darrel on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren. I watched both games center syndline could not hold his own so with his bad play would there any interest. In center kevin mawe. I know he 40 but he played all 16 games last year and has been to.6 pro bowls and if u watched chris johnsons highlights he was making big blocks ….So cut ben claxton and move syndline to be the back up what do u think. Darren

53. By AZ Wildcat10 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Leinart is nothing but Hollywood and when he was at USC he had a team that would make any quarterback look good. This guy will never make it in the NFL…call it a season because the Cards are going no where with the quarterbacks they have. I love the Cards but they need a lot of help.

54. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

i agree with anquanstands up on this one. unless derek is absolutely incredible matt is back in too start aganst the rams.

55. By OLdudee on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t help but laugh at all the people posting who are just so ready to blow it up. The level of panic is humorous and the the “solutions” are a scream. FIRST – Matt is the starter and will probably do a lot better than most think. Like AnquanStands, I believe it may be more about DA than anyone else. SECOND – ML’s numbers and percentages have been respectable AND he knows the system AND he learned under Kurt THIRD – The so called “experts” like Lombardi & Cowherd and others have less than stellar records as prognosticators (i.e. last year and the year b4) and are a little thin on subject matter right now and they manufacture fodder because they have nothing to lose. FOURTH – Coach W is a much better Coach and media manipulator than he’s given credit for (he’s probably a good poker player) and his results here in FORMERLY losing Cardinal land prove it. He’s had plenty of time to figure out if Matt has the ‘right” stuff or not . I suggest everyone calm down and be a little patient during this transitional period and at least wait until the 3rd or 4th game before you jump ship. Fact is , we have one of the easier schedules in the league this year (based on last years opponent W/L)and we need to realize that the staff knows what they’re doing.LASTLY —- irvinandprime get yo ass off this site and quit talking empty smack and giving us advice.

56. By OLdude on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

unfortunate typo….feel free to drop the 2nd e on my previous post LOL

57. By VA Fan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

This may have been addressed already, but I believe the Cardinal Offinsive Line is looking for the prescence and the energy of Kurt Warner. We’ll, he is not there and they need to get over and move on. Matt Lienert is not of the same mold and will never be. In addition, even a poor quarterback can be effictive if he has protection. I do not see that protection on the front line. I personnally saw more promise in the rookie QBs that the veterans. If Lienert is to have a chance, he needs to step up his game and so does the O-Line. Both are at fault.

58. By Bill L on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Something is VERY wrong……YEARS of Leinart and they still don’t know? They have wasted preseason no matter how it works out. They have made it impossible for Matt to ever play for Whiz and his crew, with full conviction. Oh, as for being that power reunning team…….well forget it. That was a waste of time also. This team has no chance this year, and maybe as long as the current regime stays in power. WATCH MATT!!!!….don’t look at Whiz, or you may get VERY sick.

59. By Steve on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren -
    There’s a lot of broad-based statements being thrown around about Matt’s performance. I know the offense isn’t moving, and I’ve heard references to Matt checking down a lot. Is that it? What specifically can you pick up that he’s not doing? And what is the coaching staff doing to help Matt (or DA) succeed? It does seem our offensive game plan, compared to Tenn’s, was suspect, if we even had one. If true, it doesn’t matter who’s back there – you’re going to have problems. That’s on the coaching staff. The line was ineffective, also. You can’t put two quarters of ineffective play on Matt alone, which leads me to believe there’s something else going on that we’re not seeing and you may be aware(confidence, swagger, leadership, etc). Its either that or this was already planned. I have faith in Whiz, which is why I also think this is nothing more than a planned move on his part to see how Matt handles it.
    This will get figured out. Remember last year this same time – many of the gloom and doom was out there for Kurt.

60. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

Not going to happen. They like Sendlein.

61. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I tend to agree with you Darren, but after watching how Whiz and this team operates during his tenure here, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if this is all a bluff — smoke and mirrors — to make the few opening opponents think the team is much worse than they are actually are.

No team the past two seasons has played with the ON/OFF switch as much as the Cardinals. The Cardinals need to get off to a quick start this year, or they’re sunk. Feigning weakness might be just that little extra advantage to get the team to a 3-3 or 4-2 start and keep them in contention heading into the bye.

For what it’s worth…

Indianapolis is 4-18 during their last 22 preseason games.

Ken Whisenhunt is 3-11 during his 14 preseason games as Card’s coach.

Everyone here should read this:

http://ari.scout.com/2/995816.html … “With Whisenhunt at the helm, this team may appear to be a ship of fools, but in reality might be the same sly foxes that we’ve seen in recent years.” — Ryan Knowles

In Whiz We Trust.

62. By TucsonTim on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Obviously it isn’t just 2 pre-season games, it’s the whole body of work the whole time Whiz has been here. Clearly, Matt isn’t the guy or he would have gotten more reps. Frankly, with our O-line sucking so bad it probably isn’t going to matter. With a poor O’line we were better than average with Warner because of his quick reads arm strength and quick release. Wasn’t there a QB out there in the off season who could fit that model and have added a little footwork to boot. Too bad we didn’t make that move.

63. By Matt in Philly on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Dear Fellow Cardinal Fans,

Please begin sending letters into the organization asking them to start one of the rookies over Derek Anderson. If Leinart isn’t the answer, then neither is Anderson. And if that’s our situation going into the regular season, it’s simple: we’re not making the playoffs. Which is fine. The last two years have been a lot of fun, but let’s not forget that we’re used to this sort of situation. But if we’re doomed for a middling record (because I don’t think Whis will let this team bottom out), the organization has to give us something in return. I think that we can all agree that it would be much more entertaining to watch one of our young QBs develop this year than to watch Leinart pussyfoot around the pocket and lob 5-yard passes, or watch Anderson fire interceptions all over the field. No QB on this team is good enough to take us to the playoffs right now. Let’s at least have someone behind center that we can pull for. BTW, Whis wins coach of the year if we make it to the playoffs.

64. By AbqNMCardsFan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

What are the chances of putting Lutui back in the lineup and cutting Hadnot? With Hadnots salary can’t we get a better free agent tackle?

65. By 98CardsFan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

what about bringing back the snake? you know who i mean

66. By John Henry on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I was very upset when I learned of this news. I am a fan of Lienart and did not think that he has been givin a fair chance. I still think that he will most likely be the starter when week one rolls around, but I think that this is coach wiz’s way of giving Anderson a fair chance to fight for the starting spot. I think that if mat had played better in the first two games, wiz would still be making this move, because this is preseason. These games don’t matter, and he wants to see what is best for the team. I want Lienart to succeed, but I am a Cardinals fan, and will be long after he is gone. Whats best for the team is what I want most, and I trust that coach Wiz knows best for the Cardinals.

67. By RED BIRD 66 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Don’t bench Leinart yet. Keep playing him and maybe Warner will feel so bad for the rest of the guys he will come back. I know there is no chance but who says you can’t dream. I don’t think anybody ever thought we were in this much trouble over Warners last 3 years so I don’t think comparing Leinart and Warner’s preseason performance has any credibility. Hopefully one of the rookies end up starting- I have faith.

68. By KBridge9 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

If we would have pull for McNabb,we would not be having this discussion. We had plenty of chances to get him and other free agents, but they did not take the chance.

69. By 949Cardsfan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

The coaching staff needs to quit treating ML like a 2nd year player off the practice sqaud and quit playing mind games with him. They’re not making him or us any better. He’s a 5 year vet and a grown man, treat him like one! He’s a big boy who can “handle the truth.” He’s been through a lot, and dealt with a lot. You owe him a straight forward answer and legit chance, stop jacking with his head. To pull this job from him at this point is just plain WRONG! It does know one any good. The team loses confidence and so does Matt, and we all know DA isnt the answer.

What does it say about the coaching staff if after 3 years they cant evaluate ML’s ability to lead the team? Not good Whiz. First big mistake of the Whiz regime!

Keep your head up Matt, and play your ass off, and prove them wrong!

70. By Mike Ellingboe on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Since Pandora’s box has been opened, just for the sake of speculation if Leinart loses the starting job (and he ends up leaving us) do you think the Cards would have any interest in signing Pat White should the Dolphins release him? I don’t think they’d carry 2 rookies on the active roster and I completely agree that it would be easier to get Hall to the P.S. than what most believe. Probably a long shot at best, but White’s skill-set has to have some appeal to Whisenhunt and his ability to utilize that type of player.

71. By cardsfan_x on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

How about a move for Charlie Batch.

1. He’s way down on pittsburgs depth chart.
    2. He’s played well for the coach before.

As for ML and DA neither has performed as a backup which means you can keep only one.

And for keeping two rookies. You only need one quaterback of the future.

The truth is you need and a consitent starter. a solid backup, and a prospect

72. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe –

I don’t think so. Pat White isn’t an NFL QB.

73. By #birdgang for life on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Love how everyone is hitting the panic button already, I practically guarantee that this was all a planned move by Leadership and Leinart to give DA his “shot” at starting. When the first game of the season rolls around, the world will watch as Matt Leinart returns to form and shreds the Rams in spectacular fashion. I would put money on this, and I am not a betting man. Could just be blind devotion, but I have complete faith in the man and the management that has come to be in the desert.

74. By Red Birds on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I am excited for this game. It will give Lienart more of a chance to settle in. He’s only had a few snaps these 2 games, and the o line stalled it out with penalties and pressure.

Let’s not forget he did win the starting job over a sure hall or famer, Kurt Warner, a couple of years ago, and only lost it to injury. And since then, he has done nothing but learn our offense from one of the best there is. I think we gotta give him a shot and start the season.

75. By Starjock on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Talk about bad Karma! Warner has Breston, Fitzgerald and Boulden with a line that had been playing together for 3 years and with two healthy running backs. He looks great and has two good seasons.

Enter Leinart. He is given a mish-mash of an O-Line that doesn’t seem to know the zip code of their playmates. Fitzgerald is lame, Doucet is on the sidelines, and there’s a bunch of rookie WRs who are still learning their routes. And all the fans expect the same performance as last year! Duh???

Anderson is not the answer. One touchdown for 2 Interceptions. Inaccurate throws. And why didn’t Cleveland keep him? History will repeat itself if the Cards go with Anderson. And if the Cards do start Anderson, I hope Leinart goes to Seattle, gets re-united with Caroll and beats the ass of the Cardinals.

76. By CrazyLady25 on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey, everybody, don’t panic. As far as QB goes, neither Matt nor DA is the long-term solution, John Skelton is. We really should be concerned about our O-line. Why didn’t we get Flozell Adams to play LT?

77. By Scott H on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Matt in Philly -

First greetings from right across the bridge in South Jersey! I kinda’ agree with you…I think. What I REALLY don’t want to see this season is for the Cardinals to drag through half a season with Leinart, then half a season with Anderson just to find out that neither guy was the answer. We have to hope that one of these guys shows us something ( ANYTHING! ) that inspires hope before the end of pre-season. If neither one does, then I’m not interested in seeing a season go down the tubes because we wasted it on BOTH of them. Pick one of them, give him a shot and if it just ain’t workin’ then let us see either Hall or Skelton give it a try. I can stomach that.

2. Aug 27, 2010: Around the NFC West: Leinart’s demotion | NowSportsLive