Receiving corps dwindling

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2010 – 8:26 am

I noted yesterday wide receiver Darren Mougey hurt his hand at practice yesterday. Kent Somers found out Mougey broke his hand, which obviously, sidelines him (and probably cost him any chance of sticking around). The Cards were already going to be without receivers Larry Fitzgerald (knee), Early Doucet (abdomen) and Andre Roberts (shoulder) against the Bears and now this. I wouldn’t think the Cards want to expose Steve Breaston too much given the circumstances, so it’ll be interesting how the playing time is divvied up in Chicago. Besides Breaston, the remaining healthy wideouts are Stephen Williams, Max Komar, Onrea Jones (pictured below), Ed Gant and Mike Jones.

Anyone looking for the quarterbacks to distinguish themselves through the air, by the way, should keep in mind that, besides Breaston, the remaining healthy receivers have a grand total of zero NFL regular-season receptions.

“It’s a good opportunity,” quarterback Matt Leinart said. “It is tough with the timing (of the passing game), but with Larry and Early out, we are building our chemistry as we go. This will be good for us in the long run, that’s the positive for these guys. They are making plays. It’s tough as you go along so it’s tough as a rookie when you are thrown in the mix.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Receiving corps dwindling”

1. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Solid comments from Matt.

2. By Tyler on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I am not concerned with matt with the lack of weapons available. with that said, I don’t want to hear him make that or any excuse. The timing is a big part but thats not all of it.

Do you know when early, larry, and andre expect to be game ready? In addition, do you know when the depth chart is going to be updated?

3. By Ditship on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

It would be very good to have Roberts healthy right now but too bad. Williams, Komar and Jones all have their big chance to shine (Some more in Williams and Komar’s case). I get a feeling that Komar will likely end up not making it through the waivers which sucks.. Have they thought at all about putting Komar in for some Punt Return duties? It might not be completely tragic if we gave up Roberts for Komar if that little guy can return. I know that the Roberts dropping passes issue has been a complete shock to just about everyone. He does seem to do a good job of securing punts though. If he drops one of those I think his hopes of making this squad might diminish drastically.

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Unfortunate for the QBs, but a golden opportunity for the healthy WRs. Next man up.

Darren — how do you asses the likelihood of the Cards keeping all four QBs as Ron Wolfley suggested in the last Cards Underground segment? I like Wolf’s comments that Leinart and Anderson are known commodities, but we don’t have that luxury with the rookie QBs. One could be the next Kurt Warner. And guys named Flacco and Sanchez have done great jobs as rookies guiding their teams to the playoffs.

Any chance either of the rookies QBs wouldn’t get picked up by other teams if they are cut by the Cards? I don’t see any of them falling into the Cards’s practice squad. Too much upside to pass on for QB-needy teams.

5. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

that is a shame about Mougey, I hope he clears waivers and gets on the practice squad. i think there is a very good chance that they keep gant through his suspension because he won’t count against the roster so in week 5 the receiving corp could get real crowded.

6. By DRC#1FAN on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I miss Q. really bad. It’s like a bad break up. I say I hate him just because he l;eft, but I wish we kept him around. Seems like we could of since we didnt sign any of our big contracts that came due. And now look, goodbye Gandy and now we dont have but 1 tackle who can get it done. Goodbye Dansby and now Hayes is having back issues. Goodbye Rolle and McFadden… well, those two I guess ahve been replaced failry enough. I’m just not confident in the cards Management right now. We should have kept either Dansby or Boldin. Period. We let to much core get away.

7. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

The Cards could move LaRuSH or Jason Wright to the outside, bring back Deryn Bowyer or Juamorris Stewart back as a camp body or even have former HS/College wide receivers such as Justin Miller, Marshay Green or Joey Porter line up.
    But what a perfect time for Arizona to show what Whiz will probably do during the regular season- smash mouth football. Go to the two or three TE sets and let Hightower and Wells follow behind Faneca and Co.

8. By Brad ONeill on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

one more thing on everyones favorite subject Matt Lienart.

if i am the coach of this team the biggest game in Matts career is week one if he loses that game the next 4 are going to be very tough. the good news for him is i am not going to throw the next quarterback on the list into the saints and the san diego games because those are games we are supposed to lose and I don’t want to ruin my new guy. so no matter what happens Matt gets too play week 1-5 but if he cant beat the rams he has to win 3 of the next 4 games to stay. and that is a tall order. is it possible that he could lose the first 4 and redeem himself against the saints? maybe but not likely.

weeks 6-13 should be at a minimum 5 and 2 for us. so if matt can get out of the first 5 games looking respectable he should be in a real good place for the rest of the season.

We are a playoff team even if we go 2 and 3 for the first 5. so lets hope matt can get the first two.

9. By Judy on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    Do you think Wiz will let Matt play more in the game on Saturday? With the rookie WR’s it might give him some time to get in rhythm with some of them.

10. By MikeG on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice blog— This is certainly good news
    for Max Komar and Stephen Williams to get some good playing time and impress the coaching staff. The only
    thing that matters is that the big 3 are ready for the Rams. I wouldn’t even play Breaston much.
    What would you say up until this point — carry 5 receivers: Fitz,Breaston,Doucet,Roberts & Williams????

11. By mike b on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Why does everybody I root for seem to get hurt and then have their chances crushed in making the team? first it was Muhtadi then Mougey who is next???
    Darren- Is there a possibility he could stay or is he pretty much done here?
    if you would have to guess of course.

12. By alex *24 on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren ,
    Any possibility since all these injurys that you can tryout for team at wr at show these boys how to catch?

13. By Scott H on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey, let’s see these youg guys play. Fitz, Breaston, and Doucet can’t catch all the passes this year…we need some of these young guys to emerge and help out this year. Let them play while the main guys rest and get healthy. Not a bad thing.

14. By 98CardsFan on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Good point about not being to hard on the eval regarding who these guys have to throw to, but what I would like to see is the ball going to the right read, in the right spot, and against the right coverage. If Matt can do that he has shown me he knows what he’s doing. That way our WRs can make plays on the ball. Think there will be a no huddle? Obviously with the umpire location change it will be hard, but can’t you tell the official “Hey, after this play we are going into the hurry-up so be prepared”? Thanks Darren, am chomping at the bit for the season to start!

15. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

That’s too bad for WR D Mougey but may be WR M Jones will step up and get a foot in the door. I’m concerned more with the Cards running the ball the OL needs to play better.

Hey Darren what’s up with the link above saying M Lombardi thinks the Cards might cut QB Matt L before the season starts? That’s a rumor but many fans will call for it if QB Matt L can’t be the leader of this team. I don’t know if it’s true but some bloggers said they were at the Cards Titans practice in Tenn and they watched Qb Matt L and they did not like what they saw.

I read on the blog that QB J Skelton has been quite since the Texan’s game. Darren please explain what that means. You said Skelton is practicing. Is he the “CHOSEN ONE” thus Coach Whiz will try to hide him allowing Matt L to shine or self destruct?

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Know —

I think Skelton is a raw quarterback with potential for the future but clearly far away from that right now.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Tyler —

Early may play this weekend. All should be OK by the regular season.

18. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

There is still a chance all four stay, but I wouldn’t count on it. Don’t ask me which one is out though. Not anymore.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Judy —

I guess I didn’t see this soon enough. A lot has happened.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

This puts Mougey in a very bad spot, to be honest.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Alex —

Too busy writing about the quarterbacks.

2. Aug 26, 2010: Receiving corps dwindling | Nfl News And More