Leinart talks about not starting

Posted by Darren Urban on August 27, 2010 – 9:46 am

Quarterback Matt Leinart just talked about getting demoted behind Derek Anderson. Not surprisingly, he isn’t happy, but he said he still planning on starting the regular-season opener:

– “It is disappointing and a little bit frustrating,” Leinart said. “I can’t sit up here and say I’m happy and all smiles. It is frustrating. I am not sure the expectation put on me. I have high expectations on myself, and I think, based on my body of work in the preseason, I have been accurate and not turned the ball over. I think the preseason is about gelling together as an offense. We have a lot of new faces on the offense.

“When you don’t move the ball, it’s not what you want, but that is what preseason is for. To gel together as an offense. It is what it is. I don’t make these decisions. I have done everything coach has asked of me. I have been committed and I have worked extremely hard. If it is an open competition, then let’s have it that way from the start, if this is what this is.

“Moving forward, I have to keep working. Go out (Saturday) and work my butt off and let my play do the talking. I am confident in my ability. I am extremely disappointed, and I’m not exactly sure why this decision was made, but it’s not my decision.”

– Leinart said he still expects to start in St. Louis, although he acknowledged he wasn’t sure where things will go from here:

“I have learned the last two weeks, you control what you can control. I think I have made the most of my opportunities when I have had the chance. We weren’t in the best situations all the time, and that’s all of us. I am the quarterback and I take the blame but collectively, like I said, preseason is about coming together. That’s my view.”

– On the mental side of dealing with the situation:

“It’s mentally draining. It drains you a little bit and it’s been like that the last three years. Physically I feel fine and I have been efficient this preseason … in the limited, limited opportunities I have had, I think I’ve done my best. Can I get better? Absolutely. I know that. I’m not perfect and I know I have a lot of work to do. If it’s open competition, I think you need equal opportunity. Who’s to say … I don’t know if that is happening.”

– On whether it could be coach Ken Whisenhunt trying to spark Leinart:

“Coach has a way of handling me and my situation the last three years, even when Kurt was here. For me, I’ve always kind of taken it with a grain of salt and continued to work hard. If he is testing me, that’s fine. I am disappointed but it’s not going to stop me from working and being a leader. I know guys are looking to me still. It’s adversity but I will get through it. I know hard work pays off.

“I’m not going to look much into it. I am going to go out, play my game, and take advantage of the opportunity I get. That’s all you can do.”

We will have video of it up later, but I thought his body language was fine. I sensed a guy hoping that chance will come again to start, not defeated. I sensed too he might have been (smartly) holding back. He’s definitely not happy. You know he knows Anderson has had 41 pass attempts this preseason and he only has 13. Maybe that gets flipped a bit tomorrow night. I will have a story up later too about more big picture for this week, but for now, we are getting on a bus soon to go to the airport.

Chicago here we come, quarterbacks and all.

Tags: , , , ,

149 Responses to “Leinart talks about not starting”

1. By showtime on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

i agree he hasnt been given the opportunity to throw the ball as much as DA but getting first downs gives you the chance to throw more.

2. By jsb on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Its been nice knowing you Matt. The end is near.

3. By kerouac9 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Are we going to get audio of this interview? I’ve really liked hearing what Coach and others are saying after reading your reports.

Thanks.

4. By Chris on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Will be at the game in Chicago section 213-Go Cards…and #7!

5. By Chicken Hawk on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I knew there was to be some competition. I didn’t know it would be so lopsided in Derecks favor!

6. By John Henry on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Its harder to get a first down when you always looking at 2nd and long because of a negitive run play on 1st down. I believe this is an open competition, and I hope Matt proves he should be the starter once and for all on Saturday…if he can get the snaps and protection.

7. By CrazyforAZ on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Give the guy some room to breathe. Get him a line that can block a person and then you can judge if he is going to do well. DA is not going to win us games playing the way he did this preseason.

8. By Ben on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Matt and feel for him. DA has been given a much better opp. Plus he gets to opperate with Beannie in there as well. This is a bad situation and for the first time I am doubting the undoubtable wHiz on his tactics. But he has neve let me down before.

For some reason I have the same feeling from years back when Denny benched Josh McClown after haveing two wins in a row for Shaun King. THAT WAS A DISASTER, hope this has a better ending.

9. By firemagoo on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

He sounds good and if he plays well he has a chance to get the starting gig back but we’ll see. Darren NFL these days is passing league and you need strong arm, accuracy and ability to read defense and audible or know which receiver will be open. Obviosly DA has the arm and ML has better accuracy. Who has been better in your estimation at reading the defense, identifying hot reads and adjusting plays?

10. By brown on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Lets go Mat im rooting for you.

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Kerouac –

Video will be posted later.

12. By BigRedFan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Boy oh boy will this be fun to watch . . . . nothing like a good QB controversy to get the fans into things.

The real story with the offense is whether the O-Line emerges as an elite O-Line. That will help whoever is back there . . . .

13. By brbrown on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt….Stop whining and start performing. Accept some responsibility and demonstrate some leadership.

14. By Joe-B on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I agree with Matt too. Hopefully he makes the best out of his chances tomorrow.

15. By Brad ONeill on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

this is exactly what the coach wants. he has put him in a bad situation and wants to see if he responds. coach handcuffed him his first two games and now he is going to uncork him and let him pop.

i still think this situation is more perilous for derek than matt if derek doesn’t shine i think he may go away entirely. the only way i see matt going away is if he completely falters. if we see some first downs and a touch down from matt i think he is back in the drivers seat.

16. By Justin on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m a little frustrated with all of this. I am going to assume that this truly is just a flip to see how people react, but, Leinart hasn’t been given the opportunity in the first two preseason games. How can you expect someone to get in a groove and truly evaluate how he performs in the games in the time he has been allotted. DA is not the answer here! I’m not saying that I’m sure ML is but, we have a better outlook in the future with ML than DA. I say let loose on the reins and see if ML sinks or swims. That is our best chance to win this year and if it doesn’t work out, we deal with that in the next off season. I have been hoping Leinart was the answer since we drafted him, but outside of his rookie season we have never given him that sink or swim opportunity.

17. By Eric Cave Creek on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

“I didn’t know it was an open competition” ? What a joke, hope you enjoyed being the highest paid clipboard holder for 5 years in the NFL ! Maybe the Browns will take you !! or maybe Kurt Warner needs a secretary or someone to hold his Sunday sermons !! This was too long coming. Good bye Matty Hollywood !!

18. By Wallabear on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Still no mention of JOHN SKELTON. Coach Whisenhunt is such a wuss.

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Firemagoo –

I don’t know if I’d give an edge. If there was an edge, this would be an easier decision for Whiz.

20. By Tyrelle on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Uh oh. Whoever the QB is, I will be behind them 100%.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Wallabear –

In what way?

22. By TILLMAN#1 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

GO MATT!!!! I hope this lights a spark under his ass and he does well tomorrow!
    GO CARDS!!!!

23. By Jeff on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson? Really? Would much rather see Leinert in there- then focus back-up energies on gettign Skeleton some time

24. By Chris on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for always providing honest feedback from the player and asking the tough questions. I don’t know though how bad Matt really wants the starting position. True he has made some improvements, but they are hard to acknowledge when he continues to make the same ones from the past. Foot work is a big one. If you could pass him a message from me, Extreme Speed, they’ll help him get his footwork where it should be and don’t just says your confident, wear it; your body language speaks otherwise and so does your facial expression. Good luck Matt…

25. By Braeden on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

What is up with whiz? I hope he is doing this to spark Leinart. But i won’t believe it if Anderson starts week 1. Leinart was having a good preseason but he isnt giving him a chance. let him stay in for a half and let him get some reps. Leinart is an accurate QB unlike DA. Im all for competition but the cards need to give leinart a fair chance

26. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

You never know.That’s why they play the games. Stay tuned!

27. By KidStallyn on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Matt on every point. If it’s open competition, then give him the REPS to get in a rythem. Get on the O-Lines tail end for shutting down and getting their BUTTZ WHOOPED! I will still point to THREE CARRIES FOR MINUS FOUR YARDS!!!!! That’s unacceptable!!!! Again, he’s not made ANY mistakes in preseason, and had one instance where he threw a pass to a rookie receiver wasn’t on the same page as him.

To say that Derek Anderson has had his oppertunity is true. He’s performed less then stellar against 2nd, 3rd and practice squad guys. Sure he’s moved the ball, but it HAS NOT BEEN against #1s. Against Houston, he looked eradic and was intercepted twice. THOSE ARE the things that QBs should be graded on.

He’s worked with a totally different offensive line then Matt, part for maybe one or two series. In Matts first series, you shouldn’t have to rely on the QB to get you a first down when he starts you off 2nd and 2! That’s the facts. And no way Breaston should have only gotten 2 yards on a third and3. That’s Breaston not knowing where the sticks are. That’s TIMMAY being unproductive on his chance at running back. I expect more from these two veterans, especially Breaston who was the #1 receiver on Monday.

Quit making scapegoats, and hold the rest of the offense accountable to the same standard your holding Matt.

28. By Javier Montoya on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Wow that statistic with the attempts is interesting. No wonder people think he looks better. More Rhythm. If I was Matt I’d be P.O.’d too. Like who is this Derrick guy. I’ve been here.. Its cool we have him but this is my job.. Maybe this will wake him up though and grab those horns.. That’ what this O needs is a director. Someone putting people in positions for the best play.

29. By Tim on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree with the decision. Only because maybe it will take a little pressure of Matt. Let the offense settle in a little. When Matt does get his shot though he better perform or I think this is it for him as a Cardinal.

30. By Jim on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I think John Skelton is the Cards best bet for QB!!!

31. By Andy on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

When you play like Leinart has you tend to get demoted.

32. By Cards4TradingLeinart on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

ML has not been what we needed since he got here. Everyone said to “Give him a chance.” Chance given and he still can not score a touchdown! Wish we could have a QB with a little less turnover ratio than DA but I’ll take scoring and yardage over nothing being produced. I am in favor of trading Leinart for whatever value we can get for him in some sort of trade for a QB who can lead us for the next 3 to 4 years!

Darren, I know you do not have the same opinion as me on the Leinart situation but is there any possibility that a benching is a warm-up for a trade?

33. By 949Cardsfan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz is wrong on this one. If it truly was Matt’s job to lose, he hasn’t done anything to lose it. Matt’s right, if it’s gonna be an open competition at QB than say that from the get go, and give everybody equal reps (game reps). After watching the first team offense for two games now, I’d say Matt is the only aspect of the offense thats performed half way decent. The O-line has been horrible, the RB’s have done nothing, and two of the top three WR’s have missed the majority of camp. I agree with Matt, his job coming out of camp was to prove he could make the reads and complete the throws. He’s done that! Bad move Whiz, If you have two QB’s, you have NO QB’s! Whiz you just destroyed what ever confidnece the team might have had in Matt, and probably flushed our season down the drain. But, thanks for making my desision for me, I definetly won’t be getting season tix this year now.

34. By Chad on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe the pass difference. Anderson 41 and Leinart 13! No wonder he is upset.

If starters traditionally play into the 3rd quarter on the 3rd game of the preseason, then hopefully Leinart will get to play with the starters the 2nd and 3rd quarters Saturday and get his pass ratio up. And playing with Beanie will help.

And on a sidenote, Leinart is hitting his hot routes on blitzes, just like Warner. Except Warner was throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston. Leinart is tossing to Steve Breaston (goes down with the touch of a feather) and Stephen Williams (who?). I went back and watched the game again and several first down were lost because of the WRs,not Leinart.

I still think he’s our guy against St. Louis and this gets a fire under his butt.

35. By Aaron on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been waiting for this to happen, and from what I’ve seen in games and read from Whiz, I think all DA has to do is get a few first downs and move the ball. The coaches know he hasn’t had nearly as much time in this offense so he’ll be given some leeway in that respect I believe.

And yes, the oline has been difficult in preseason for the QBs and the RBs, but keep in mind two things. DA comes in with the same oline Matt had and there were times where Beanie was hit in the backfield just like Hightower has been. But at the end of the day, DA has moved the ball and Matt hasn’t. Coach DA up a little bit more, get some of his 2007 confidence back, and his upside is way beyond anything Matt has ever had outside of college.

36. By Jim in Missouri on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like Leinart is pretty pissed about the whole thing, which is good and may be good for his chances to start the opener.

I know about as much as most everyone else who posts their guesses on here, but I have a ton of respect for Whisenhunt, and I could see this being a little mind game to see how Leinart will react. I’m sure he wants him to get upset and show a little fire and be of the “this is my team” mindset.

Just another guy’s random guess …

37. By Houston on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

First of all I am pretty sure that the Head Coach of a football team knows what he is doing, secondly did you guys ever think it might not have to do with what he is doing on the field, but rather his lack of leadership skills or relationships with other teammates. Third, as far as DA having his shot, so has Matt Lineart. Matt was given the starting job OVER Kurt Warner, twice, he lost it both times. Derek Anderson has been to a pro-bowl. so yeah…. Idk why the decision was made but clearly Wiz knows what he is doing and has felt more comfortable with DA at QB. Support you team Cards fans!!! Geez….

38. By Jedihillis on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I really hope we don’t have DA as a starter. I haven’t seen anything that makes me think DA is much better than ML. ML needs more than 1 quarter. ML has worked hard on the offseason and I really think he deserves more of a chance here.

Yah, DA moved the ball in the last game. Did he get any touchdowns? No. Remember the first game? The guy was erradict as hell, throwing crazy passes which lead to interceptions.

I say give Matt more time. I really hope he shines this weekend.

39. By Rich on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

If Leinart starts the season as No. 1, they keep Andersen and have a decision on Skelton and Hall. If Andersen starts the season as No. 1, Leinart as GOT to go!. Skelton and Hall stay. In my opinion, Leinart has not been given a fair chance. Granted, he has to “buck up” and appear and act more assertive. But he has never gotten a strong endorsement from his head coach and that can wear on a QB’s confidence.

40. By Ken on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Wallabear does not even know why he posted what he posted Darren, its just frustration on his part. I stand by Whiz and his staff. I hope Matt gets his opportunity to play out the regular season so once and for all we can see what he can do, win or lose. Lets go offensive line, get it together, we need you guys to play too! Go ARIZONA CARDINALS!

41. By Cardfan4life on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

How about a little competition at the play calling position… it has been terrible since Haley left. Right now we are the biggest joke in the league. This is on you Whiz.

42. By KWJ on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Hope the guy does well, he is extremely talented. But that’s only part of it, in the life of an NFL QB. He looks and sounds too much like Ryan Leaf to inspire a great deal of confidence…time will tell if he has the mental strength to actually be successful.

43. By Matt in Philly on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I’ve said it over and over! Leinart’s agent was in his ear saying “This is your job to lose. All you have to do right now is make it through the pre-season without getting injured or throwing interceptions.” Leinart said it himself: “I am not sure the expectation put on me…I have been accurate and not turned the ball over.” It seems as though he may have taken this situation a bit too lightly. Perhaps he didn’t realize that the starting QB spot was more a competition than he thought. This all just hypothesizing by me, but it will be threshed out on Saturday. Leinart will likely be facing Chicago’s 1′s in the second quarter. If he was really just playing it safe, and trying not to get injured or turn the ball over, then he should be able to flip the switch on Saturday and torch the Bears. If he does that, he’s fine. If he continues to play uninspired, tentative football, then we should seriously consider handing the reigns over to one of the rookies. For my money, I’d rather go 7-9 and watch a rookie grow than have the same record and watch a UFL-er like Anderson.

44. By Steven on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Coach Wiz is more of a mastermind than we all thought! This is my theory… Coach sees Matt as someone who needs the confidence and support of his team and realizes this is just not there. He ties Matt down the first two preseason games and gives the reps to Anderson and the Rookies mostly with second and third team opponents. Anderson and the Rooks look like heros and everyone starts calling for one of them to start. Now he has switched roles. Giving Derek the start at the same reps as Matt with the start would now give Matt the majority of reps and pass plays. Now Matt is looking at the second and third team defense which will likely make him shine. Matt is the hero now and the team strokes his ego a bit. The final preseason game, Matt is the starter and now that he believes, and the offense believes, he will have the confidence to make something to happen with the first team. This all is physiological. Matt and the team have now moved to a new level of camaraderie. With this sly and methodical scheme Coach Wiz hopes to enter the regular season as a complete “Team” a team that has finally “Gelled”… Bottom line is, this guy is a good quarterback and with he talent that is surrounding him he can be made to look like a great Quarterback. Just like in his USC days, he didnt win those championships alone, the team did… Matt will be the starter!

45. By swede1 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

All the points made here about Leinart getting the same reps as DA are kind of obvious, and I would only assume that Whiz knows this, and that the decision to start DA this weekend is just another level of evaluation.
    Now what really makes me confused is leaving Lutui off of the starting O-line, sure he got a little thicker in the off-season, but what was he not one of our best performers on the line last season ?? Can we assume that this is another of Whiz’ lessons and that he will be starting week1??

46. By AndyM on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

My suspicion is that Whiz is taking everything into account–past track records, performance in training camp, varying game situations, “psychological” issues (head games) and trying to evaluate how this shift will give him more information. He is in no way ready to make a decision about who plays and when at quarterback. This is just an “experiment”. Coach is a smart dude and will in a couple weeks need to make a tough choice that impacts the fortunes of the the 2010 team more than any other.

47. By MDEATON on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt I truly am rooting for you to get the starting role. I have had a FATHEAD of you in my Cardinal room for 3 years now hoping that you would lead us to the superbowl one day. Hang in there and work hard and remember kurt didnt have an easy road either but you know what he did. I want whats best for the Cardinals in the long run cause im a diehard fan since 1970. I have to trust that Whiz will make the best decision for the team come opening day. He has done us well since arriving . Yours truly all the way from Panama City Florida. I will see yall in Atlanta .

48. By Darthcard on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I feel for Matt. And only god,the staff, and whiz knows what whiz is up to with this. My only knock on Matt would be he doesn’t put the ball where it needs to be.arm strenghth whever. And Derek just lasers passes without precision. I’ll roll with whoever whiz chooses. But matt so far has not been givin a solid chance.

49. By TucsonTim on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Give DA his shot. TN made it pretty clear how to handle Leinart…blitz blitz blitz. If Matt doen’t know the hot routes by now…was it the play calling or just not knowing what to do. Checking down, bad throws etc.

50. By Secret on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I bet the coaching staff had a private meeting to talk about leinart and the team. The staff asked, “how can we improve leinart’s game?” and their answer was to start DA and motivate him to focus harder as a leader.

On another note: I think people gave to much heat to leinart about his passing. Fitz and Doucet were gone first of all, and that means he has to pass to those rookies. if fitz and doucet were there, they would have been better timing and they would move the chains.

Personally, I’m kinda expecting the rams game to be kinda a “pre-realseason” game, meaning this game doesnt matter as much as future games. as we expect to beat them one way or another, we can see leinart with minimal worry and see how he deals with the reg-season start with all his receivers.

I trust leinart, but as much as i trust him, i trust the coaching staff more.

51. By 98CardsFan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Can’t believe where this has gone, am now suddenly happy I work tomorrow. Wake me when the season starts, this bs is churning my stomache.

52. By FightON! on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Do your thing Matt, you’re playing for a job interview now. Do well then walk, no run, out of Arizona…just as so many others have. Something is very wrong, players should feel some loyalty and desire to stay, even for a little less money, it does happen. I doubt Dockett, Rolle, Pace or the others regret for one moment leaving.

53. By smack28 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I am not sure who will actually start this season, although it should be a much clearer picture after Saturday evening. What I can predict, however, is next year’s starting QB is not even on our roster right now(provided there is a season next year). I am preparing for a long season. I think we will experience a ton of growing pains on both sides of the ball and ultimately find out that this team lacks the offensive leadership required to contend for the playoffs. As for those that think Hall or Skelton could start next year, wake up. Those two are what they are, developmental projects (see Tony Romo’s career).

54. By VegasCardsFan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

It’s getting to the point where I feel like Matt would have a better opportunity with another team. It’s the NFL, there is always pressure to perform, but at this point any tiny mistake that Matt could make is enormously exploited by the media. Another USC product, Mark Sanchez, is playing like Leinart was just coming into the league. However Sanchez is able to let loose and play football while Leinart hears footsteps with every snap.

55. By bo on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt,
    Get fired up boy. I am one of your biggest supporters you were drafted to be the future of this team Kurt is gone now here is the future. I hope this coaching staff opens their eyes you are the only QB on this team that has been in the system for more than a handful of months and I believe you will be QB1 in week 1 but Matt its up to you now I wish you the best and hope to see you under center week 1 i know this is not a direct site to the players just had to get this out there!!! I will be watching Saturday night sporting my number 7 away jeresy again Matt life is not always fair so take what you are given and take hold of the position

56. By Are you for real !!!! on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

So matty hasn’t had a chance??? what about the last four years??? sure theres some new faces on the o line and with his wr because he almost took out fitz. i think whiz is a outstanding coach and we should be lucky to have him. why hand over the team to matty??? because he deserves it ??? i like WINNING, if whiz sees anderson as the best chance – then thats it. whiz watches all the tape we dont get to see, im sure coach isnt just making a gut decision. i feel anderson has shown he wants to win, plus andersons been to the probowl.

57. By jahstone on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

It is really hard to gauge Wiz but he is the best coach we have ever had (Him and D.C.)…he will put the best players out there, and if we win the West, this will all be an afterthought.

58. By Justin on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Heres most dont understand about Leinart but myself and wis see clearly is Matt’s ability to see down field! Matt everytime he gets to the line should always know were that first down marker is at all times especially in a passing situation,checkdowns arent going to get first downs the nfl! 2 options quaterbacks have in order to prolong a play inorder to get the first down is to either step up in the pocket when protection starts to break down, or scramble which matt hasnt been utilizing to his advantage. The other major concern is his arm strength the difference between a play being a complete successful or utter disaster depends on how fast the ball gets to the receivers hands which is why fitz is currently on IR list because matts throws are giving opposing defense more time to react to the play along with giving his receivers less time to react after they caught the ball, Matt leinarts needs to throw the ball as hard as he can every pass even if it shortens his career 3-5 years so be it! better than riding the bench

59. By John M on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

However it shakes out…. I’d much rather hear Matt Leinart come out and say that he is openly upset about the situation. I’d actually like to hear the guy start yelling and screaming.. and THEN go out and play with a fire on Saturday. Quite possibly, this is what Whisenhunt has wanted all along.

Granted, Leinart has to play WELL on Saturday, but I’m interested in seeing the reaction on video. Was he visibly mad…. or more “woe is me” about it. If he was mad, then I’d be getting the reaction that I want.

Kurt Warner is one thing, but Ken Whisenhunt has shown that he and his QB don’t have to love one another to succeed. We all know how the Whisenhunt/Roethlisberger relationship was. They actually dispised one another.

60. By tyman on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

niether of our two starting QB’s have done anything. Matt is matt, 3 and out. Anderson has a big arm, but flat out misses open passes. The rookies look good but against 3ed string d-fence. I have a feeling this is going to be a 5 win season. Maybe we should try to trade for somone like collins from the titians or some other proven starter. I dont think DA is the answer, he does have years left to play but it seems like his lack of accuracy will be drive killers. With Matt simple, teams will blitz and play under because his long ball floats. Lets hear some stories of a real AZ cards QB like warner getting pumped up about comp. instead of crying like tom brady would. Matt trains with tom right. They should go model together, lol.

61. By Will Brodsky on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Think about it this way. Suppose Anderson goes out there to start the game and the best happens; the Cards drive down the field and put up six. What does that prove? Honestly, not much. It’s a very small sample size, meaning the occurrence of a certain result is not an indicator of the occurrence of similar results in the future.

For poker players out there, it’s like chasing a flush or a straight and hitting it the first time you make such a play. Does that mean it was the right play or that you should do it all the time? Of course not.

In the meantime, you’ve destroyed Leinart’s barely there confidence to get a look at a quarterback that probably isn’t a better option anyway. Anderson’s still learning the Cards’ system and the INTs will mount, most likely at a rate that will outstrip his TDs. I think it’s tough to say that Anderson is per se a better quarterback than Leinart right now. As a result, a single successful performance won’t tell us much about whether Anderson should start over Leinart.

I’ve always felt that Leinart doesn’t need to be a stud for the Cardinals to win. I would take a safe, albeit vanilla offense under Leinart over a high risk-high reward offense under Anderson. Derek’s style of play will most likely lead to an increased number of turnovers. This will put a tremendous strain on a defense that has new players everywhere on the field. I’ve yet to see a team consistently lose the turnover battle and win games.

62. By Gerald on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Folks:

What isn’t being noticed here is that the decision to start Derek Anderson over Matt Leinart didn’t come because of the two preseason games, but rather the scrimmage between the Titans and the Cardinals on Wednesday after the second preseason game. Now keep in mind: this scrimmage was a passing scrimmage only, a lot of 7 on 7 stuff with no pass rush.

The result? Vince Young outplayed Leinart. Big time. It wasn’t even close. Watching the difference between Young and Leinart in that scrimmage forced the Cards to acknowledge that Leinart isn’t anywhere near where he needs to be after 5 years in the NFL. When you are being totally outclassed by Vince Young, who is marginal as an NFL QB, you have real problems.

63. By Bill L on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Good for Matt. I hope he gets his chance somewhere. Problem is that Whiz has NEVER been on Matt’s side…..or even neutral…..nothing but Lies and innuendos coming from Cards camp for years. Matt is a good whipping boy for the power running game that has failed to materialize……and for an Incompetent O-line…..for a very thin receiving corp. I’d hate to have a coach that is such a failure……that he needs to pick out a talented player to be his scape-goat. But Whiz does not seem to have any such inHibitions…….

64. By Eazy E on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Leinart is doing nothing but whining. Whiz pulled you because you ain’t moving the ball, getting first downs, scoring points, you know that’s what you do in football as the qb. Got our best player hurt in fitz. Man, your no good, he’s had ample opportunities to play well and enough is enough. DA is starting and now im rooting for him because matt has again and again proven he’s not that good of a qb. DA has one of the best arms in the league, he makes those easy throws and this ain’t a competition. Don’t give me that DA had beanie bs, hightower is a great back too and leinart just not doing nothing but getting three and outs, he probably got another one as i was typing. He could have AD or Chris Johnson, it doesn’t matter when your qb ain’t good. Defenses will stack the box 8 and 9 guys and dare you to beat them and leiart won’t. Vince outplayed him bad again and our 1st team defense played well so that’s saying alot. Then had the nerve to say on national tv, ”they were bringing the house every play”, dude that’s what they do in the nfl, the best defenses are the blitzing defenses(ny jets, dallas, ravens, i hate to say it but even 49ers, and our defense, etc.). They do it to the best qbs and the worst qbs, they do it to every qb. Leinart, you beat the blitz by getting rid of the ball quickly to the receiver. Whether that’s a rb, wr, or te. You can also audible to draw plays to throw an aggressive defense off-guard. He looks for the checkdown to quickly. He gotta go, he’s not the qb we need to get a 3rd straight division title.

65. By nor cal cards fan on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Urb, If u get a chance can u try to post the youtube video of Beanie and Regan singing and jamming out before the Titans game…..it’s hilarious.

66. By 4ZERO on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Whisenhunt = Phil Jackson of the NFL. Leinart is our starting QB. I think Coach limited his opportunities as part of a plan. He wanted Leinart to go get after it. Matt chose to play it safe, took the conservative approach. Completed dump offs, didn’t turn the ball over. He wasn’t attacking, wasn’t aggressive. Matt was just avoiding mistakes, doing what he thought was best and what was required. I have no problems with that at all. It was sound reasoning. Too bad it backfired. This is just a move to shake things up, rattle him a bit. Coach needs to know that he can handle adversity, that he is mentally strong enough to overcome it. Coach wants to see Leinart play angry, go out there and prove that he is the man. I think the coach knows it is in him. It’s up to Matt to go out there and prove it. He will take the reins and not let go. This will be looked at as the turning point in Matt’s career. Go for it Matt! Go Cards!

67. By Scott H on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey, I’m ultimately in favor of whoever is going to be the best QB for this team this year, whether it’s Leinart, Anderson, Hall, or Skelton. Give me the best guy for the job, period. But I will say that I have not been happy with the very limited work that Leinart has gotten so far this pre-season. That, to me, just doesn’t even make sense. If you’re REALLY giving him a chance to take the reins, then give him a chance. Give him a chance in live game situations. Anderson has had far more playing time so far ( and really hasn’t impressed me at all, to be honest ). It would be one thing if Leinart knew he was the guy, regardless. But he sure doesn’t sound like that’s the case. I’m not really sure what Leinart has “earned” at this point…but I think his point about the # of snaps for him so far vs the # that Anderson has had is valid. Just sayin.

68. By Chris B on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

The last time we saw Mat play for a significant time was 07.
    Watch the clips. He isn’t bad at all:
    Preseason:

Wk #1:

This is what we need to see from now on. He’ll make mistakes, sure, but this is the Leinart we need to play.

69. By Valleyexpat on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I think everyone is waaay overreacting. All the nay sayers see all that’s wrong about Matt and even invent their own history of his time as a Card. They forget how he started out and when given the opportunity since he has been fine. I understand why he keeps saying “I don’t know” bec we would all say the same if we had this situation at our jobs where we have to constantly look over your shoulder and not know from day to day if you will be even allowed to do your job. If we had to go through that we might call it harrassment.

That being said I do fault him for the way he has handled this situation so far bec if you think about it’s really Derek that has more to lose. The way I see it coach is leaving DA out to dry by starting him knowing he has a slim chance to succeed.

The real controversy is that coach only wants to keep 3 qb’s and someone has to go. the 2 rooks are keepers and so is Matt bec he can run the system better than all of them. For that reason I think this was a stroke of genius on coach’s part by letting DA hang himself and lighting a fire under Matt while accomplishing his real goal which is to keep both rooks.

70. By georgiebird on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt doesn’t seem to realize that the coach looks for so many things in a starting QB. His on field performance (which is lousy) is only part of it.
    1) Matt has that distant look in his eyes
    2) he is non-conversant on the sidelines
    3) he has no fire in his make-up
    4) he is a brooder
    5) it seems he doesn’t want the job real bad

I’m sure if Matt had improve on 1-5, he would have been a lock to start the season.

Being a QB is a very exact science. I remember back to Josh McCown who was big, strong, fast, had a decent arm but he just didn’t have the rest of the package- and he had some monster games for the Cardinals against 49ers too.

71. By Brian on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Interesting how Whiz is open for competition. Hightower has rushed for negative yards this preseason, yet Beanie is still #2???HMMMMMMMMM. MATT GIVES US THE BEST CHANCE FOR WINNING GAMES. HE KNOWS THE OFFENSE, THE COACHES, THE SCHEMES. I would much rather have a QB that can complete 5 to 15 yard passes consistanly thatn a QB that can complete 1 20+ per game. Moveing the ball in spurts is how games are won. Not the BOMB of a throw that is thrown 3 to 4 times a game and maybe completed once.

72. By Cardsalltheway on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

This Matt stuff is sic, too political. Followiing the Cardinals reminds me of work and how bosses treat employees. I’m losing respect for Whiz and most certainly almost everyone who has anything to do with the Cards as far as talk radio/sports etc…
    People want to rip Matt apart for every little comment he makes(ex: “I’ve always kind of taken it with a grain of salt”) not to mention every play. When the coach plays head games or uses motivation tactics, what is Matt suppose to say…”These games and tactics are fun, let’s play some more”? Whatever he says, most paid pundits(including Card pundits) will rip him apart because they have nothing else to do or can’t think of anything else to say.

How about ripping DA apart for every move he makes. What would KTAR 620 do without a QB controversy/competition? I’m not for or against Matt, but this is really getting sic. I think I’m going to stop listening to KTAR 620 and actually I’m waiting for the Skelton days.

73. By Cardsalltheway on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I disagree with WOLF, he says the other players have lost faith/will lose faith in Matt because of this move. I think the other players can see through these head games or motivation tactics. Simply put, Matt knows the offense better than anyone. I don’t care who plays and at what time as long as I know Matt is there if/when we need him, but in the long run it’s all Skelton.

74. By DHALL on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Can you put some tabasco in his jock and get him going….lol. He will be good if everyone out there gets off his case! Let the kid play, we are in preseason and he has had 14 passing attempts. Also can you ask o-line to start blocking for him or else he will get killed just like he did in 06-07′ the o-line was terrible and they are acting like it again! Have fun in chi town….

DHALL

75. By JohnO on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree Matt hasn’t gotten as many reps in preseason as DA, but Matt has gotten 4 years of reps with the Cardinals, plus most of the first team reps during the off season. Lets shake it up a bit and see what happens. Isn’t that what preseason is for?

76. By Richard S on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Reminds me of my HS days 43 years ago. Coach told the local paper I was battling with this sophomore for a starting position on the basketball team. He gave the job to the soph. Before the first game, the other 4 starters came over to me & said I should be starting. The previous year, we took 1st in the conference and the 3rd place team won the state championship. That year we took last in the conference. I started one game, our biggest win by 20 points and came in against the all-conference center trailing by 7 points after he fouled out. We rallied in the last 7 minutes and won by 8. The next few years, the coach looked like he knew what he was doing. The next year 3rd at state (7 losses), the following year 3rd at state (32-1 record), losing to Dixon, John Brown’s (Atlanta Hawks) team. The year after he graduated 33-0 with a state championship. The coach knew best in the long run and I had fun rooting them on in the following seasons.

77. By Judy on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Kid Stallyn,i agreec with what both you and Matt both said,and on every count.I am proud of Matt right now.I am afraid i would not have held back as much as he did.Nothing good can come out of Wiz saying he is pleased with Matt,and then treating him like a redheaded stepchild.If it were an open competition then they should have had equal time,and with the same o-line to play behind.Also they should have both been told that as soon as Anderson was hired.

78. By Rick on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt is getting screwed if he dosnt start beginning of the season.

79. By Stevie on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what I find amazing is that the KTAR sports talking heads seem to be reporting that Matt HAS lost his job. That is not what Coach Whiz said. And any attempts to read his (Coach’s) mind have not been correct in the past. Therefore I see no reason why Gambo and Burns, etc should prove to be accurate mind readers this time.. So why doesn’t everyone give Matt a break instead of writing him off, until after tomorrow’s game? Perhaps Coach Whiz is not looking at the third playoff game as a precursor of who will be first team on Sep 12th, but as a way to see Derek as a starter since he is new to the Cards’ scheme. He already knows what Matt can do despite his lack of first downs and minimal playing time in the first 2 games. All of this wild speculation just stirs up the fams and if I were Matt, I don’t know that I would be as gracious with interviews as he has been to these media people.

80. By TBru on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

The funny thing, since Kurt retired, Cards fans have been ripping Leinart and calling for his head on a platter. Now we get a little bump in the road and Wiz is an idiot and poor Matty who has worked so hard, never got a chance. I see 1/2 the preseaon remains and the best man will win the job.

81. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Cards4 –

I suppose it is possible. But I am not closing the door on Leinart still being the starter.

82. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal –

We were going to, but we ran into some issues. You’ll have to enjoy it on YouTube.

83. By Darren Urban on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

FightON –

Wait, Dockett left?

84. By trigidy22 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren with Matt Vs Derek do u see the Cards Cutting the Man out?? An keeping Skelton & Hall?? Maybe Coach wiz!! just feels better with Matt holding the Clipboard LOL
    The problem with Matt is he lost his DRIVE sitting on the BENCH.. Thanks WIZ if Matt dont want to play Sit Down!! SEAHAWKS DO U WANT LEINART??

85. By MJ on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Leinart’s never been given a chance to prove himself during the regular season.
    I don’t see how a team can draft a player so high and then never give him a chance.
    Jamarcus Russell had plenty of starts to show he couldn’t play. Let’s see what Leinart can or can’t do. Anderson isn’t the answer.

86. By LUKE on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

i think coach is being honest.i think he is flipping the two qbs which means matt will prolly get more reps.wallabears says whiz is a wuss?easy fella,you are disrespecting a man who completely flipped a franchise around very quickly.he knows more about the game than any of us.i see the logic in what he is doing.he is also putting daryl washington in the first team for a bit as well as dan williams.isnt that what preseason is for???

87. By OV on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I believe Leinart’s history is following him and Whiz’s idea of competition wasn’t a worry for Leinart at the beginning of camp. This has caused Leinart to play it safe and truly not do what he knows he can. I believe in Leinart’s words, but I don’t see it in his actions. I agree, he hasn’t turned over the ball, but with no down field activity and no first downs, your running game takes a hit and your offense sputters. Come on Leinart, you know this offense (regardless if balanced or more rushing attempts). Take a shot down field, let your offense know you are in charge, and show the fire you did at USC! What’s the biz???

88. By trigidy22 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, told u weeks ago Leinart would be on the Bench.. Its just a proven fact that Coach Wiz will never be happy with Matt as his QB!! Wiz has lost the hope an the trust in Leinart!! Wiz just told matt ur the biggest bust since J.Russell…

89. By card62 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I hate this move and I hate the way we have handled the QB rotation this preseason. The preseason does matter!!! Do wins and losses matter – No
    Do injuries matter – YES Does getting your team in position and the right frame of mind for the regular season matter – Yes.

I have written many times on our QB situation this year. Was I pleased when we drafted Matt Leinart – Yes, Pleased when we signed Kurt Warner – Yes,
    Pleased Kurt was our starter – Yes.
    Do I know if Matt is the answer – No, Am I worried about our season with him at QB – Yes. Do I own a # 7 Cardinal Jersey – No.

The coaching staff was okay with Matt Leinart going into this season and did not go after Marc Bulger for free or trade for Donovan McNabb so I believed in their decision to go with Matt, and I am willing to ride with them on this decision in 2010 win or lose so that we will know for sure if Matt is our QB for maybe the next 10 years. If they do not start Matt game 1 I just do not understand and will be pissed. They have 4 years of film on Matt and Coach Whiz has seen him daily for two years. Two years !!! I think you know what you have or not long before this preseason begins and management will listen to you and find you several QB options better than Derek Anderson. Derek Anderson our starting QB? Are you kidding me?

Matt has not played great in the preseason I grant you that, but he has not been given enough opportunities, the offensive line which I was very high on has played like crap and if Whiz wants to send a message for game 3 he should bench one or two starters from the offensive line. I love Kurt Warner, but he would be getting his butt kicked with this offensive line this preseason, and with our running game. The offensive line is the biggest problem, but Beanie would give Matt a better chance to look good rather than Tim. I like them both, but Beanie is better. This preseason was important to get our starting QB, Matt Leinart some reps and confidence and our coaching staff in my opinion have done nothing to help Matt or let him gain confidence. If you disagree please debate me? Derek came in knowing he was the backup and we spend the first 2 games of preseason getting our backup QB ready and now we confuse him? Confuse Matt? Confuse our entire team?
    The preseason matters! Did our offense play well or poorly last preseason? How did our offense play in game 1 against the 49ers? Answers Poorly.
    Colts have a horrible record in the preseason under Peyton Manning? It does not matter because they have Peyton Freakin Manning who has how many years running the Colts offense and can run it in his sleep and throws 500+ passes a season and we have Matt L. who has thrown how many passes the last two seasons and in his career? We spend our preseason games getting our backup QB ready. I do not understand. Matt is not stupid he knows that this is his make or break year in the NFL and that how he plays this season is worth tens of millions of dollars to his future earnings so we are going to get Matt’s best. Will it be good enough I do not know, but our coaching staff and organization was willing to bet this season on Matt so I was/and am to, but then we do not get him ready for week one.
    Sorry this is so long and I will root for the Cards and Coach Whiz this season and for the rest of my life no matter what happens in 2010.

90. By trigidy22 on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

BYE BYE MATT LEINART THANKS FOR ALL THOSE GREAT YEARS HOLDING THE CLIPBOARD!! YOUR DAYS IN ARIZONA ARE DONE!! 1ST RD PICK TOO UNEMPLOYED I JUST HOPE WE CAN TRADE U FOR A 6TH RD PICK??

Darren, how much cash we save for cutting Leinart??

91. By Bgaffn on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I hope DA throws a few Int’s,tomorrow and I’ve no doubt he will. Matt deserves more of a chance then he’s been given. I have always trusted wiz but I have to question this move.

92. By tyman on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Matt would have more passing reps if he got first downs. You got to strike while the iron is hot. Dockett fitz wilson and drc are all in thier prime, we need a QB now. What about Billy volik from the Chargers? I think we need to look trade. Someone proven. Maybe DA can do it, its yet to be seen as well. We really missed on Mcnabb and now we are complaining. everyone should have seen this coming. ML should have a much stronger arm now than when he came into the NFL. I think its to much time in the hot tub not enough time lifting during the off-season.

93. By TBru on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Wow did I just hear a national broadcaster say something good about the birds? Dan Deirdorf at that? Big Dan has been pretty critical of his former team ever since they left St Louis. On tonight’s Sain’t Bolts game, Greg “Gumball” said if the NFC representative In the Superbowl isn’t from Dallas, New Orleans or Minneapolis something went really wrong. Dan chimed in with the Falcons are a good team and of course the Cardinals have been there in recent years. I about passed out. much better respect than the bloodbath from Jaws and Gruden last week.

94. By Neil on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Maybe they are wanting to see if he could do anything against a second string defense. They already know what Anderson can do against a second string d. I think leinarts production againdt second stringers will determine his roll as a starter. If he can’t to anything against them then he shouldn’t be the starter. What do you think urban?

95. By CaRdS aLL dAy EvErY dAy on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

it is true that matt leinart hasn’t been given an equal chance. 13 passes to DA’s 41..that is truely fair. people on this post say that DA is doing better, but the fact is how many of those passes completed actually came against first string defenses? a couple of factors hampering matt leinarts play are:

1. the O-line has been man-handled the first 2 games
    2. the running game is virtually non-existent(even though beanie has ran a couple nice ones)
    3. the chemistry isn’t there with the WR’s. u have the best WR in the league hurt, and the guy that’s going to replace the mighty boldin is also hurt.

Don’t get me wrong i hope that stephen williams plays fantastic but he still needs time to develop his timing with the QB and to improve his route running. and i support anyone on the cards roster so long as they help us win games(especially against the 49er’s)
    Whiz is a smart man, and i hope that this move sparks the monster in leinart and that he plays well. and if he doesn’t on to the next guy

96. By John on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

To say since Whiz didnt go after McNabb or Bulger points to Whiz thinking Matt can do the job isn’t taking the whole situation into account. Maybe Whiz didn’t like those two. Maybe the Bidwells wouldn’t approve the trade/signing. Don’t know, but that doesn’t mean Whiz felt good about Leinart going into the preseason. Remember, he wanted to trade for a young QB in Whitehurst and signed a young QB in Anderson. Not moves you see when you are confident about your QB.

For Matt to say he isn’t on a level playing field because of lack of chances is a joke. He has had 5yrs of opportunities. It’s been his job to lose 3 times.He lost it each time. Whiz sees him in practice everyday. He knows what he can do.

But most of all, two passes last game says he can’t be our QB. The post that he could not zip in and when Williams had a step down the sideline and the pass fell 10 yards short. He is a west coast type of QB and doesn’t have the arm strength to run this offense.

I dont know if Anderson is the answer. I tend to believe he has shown nothing to believe he is. My hope is he steps up and plays well. Lets face it, Skelton and Hall are projects and a couple of years away. Yelling for them is like telling A-Dub and Dockett that it’s a rebuilding year. Not what Vets want to hear. But, With an average defense and no QB, this could be a long year. So cards fans better pray DA can look somewhat competent.

97. By dillion on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I like the Whiz, but he really needs to give Matt a shot at this. Anderson has not looked crisp and we need to know if Matt is the guy. In order to be sure of this he has to get more reps and I do not see why the Whiz has not allowed this. It seems to be an emotional decision not a logical one!

98. By Ken Cadena on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

I dont know why we are still talking about Matt. We should start trying to get Kurt back on the field. Have Mr Bidwell promise to build 10 churches or something. Who care at whatever cost. We all know the cards success started around Kurt.

99. By Brian on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Well put Cards 62

100. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I hope you get paid by the hits on your site, ’cause you’re racking up a few.
    Maybe you should mention the PFT report that has Florio prophesysing about a Warner return.

101. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Neil –

I think we’re going to find out.

102. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

I’d have to look it up but I don’t think it’s much, comparatively.

103. By Steve W on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m thinking this whole situation is getting blown out of proportion. Whiz has historically approached the pre-season as simply a time to take a look at how players react to situations, what players to keep and who to let go. There’s no game-planning, so how much can he really read into how the offense would carry itself in a real-game situation? I don’t think he is, at least not in the way that most of us fans do. I think instead he’s looking for raw ability, and how players both veteran and otherwise will react to any given situation. He’s seen Leinart facing serious adversity against the starters for the Titans and the Texans, now I’m thinking he wants to see Anderson facing that same kind of intensity.

I’m personally wondering if he’s trying to figure out who to let go between D.A., Hall and Skelton. Giving D.A. a chance to start against the opposing team’s starting line-up will go a long way in figuring out if Anderson is worthy of keeping as a backup. Some would argue that splitting time this strongly between two quarterbacks is losing valuable rep time, but when you have a situation like the Cards, trying to figure out where you stand at the QB position, some short-term sacrifice must be made while looking for the long-term.

I think Leinart starts against the Rams, even if D.A. has a decent game, so long as Matt doesn’t implode during his own opportunity against the Bears. If Anderson has a bad game, I’m wondering if maybe D.A. gets dropped from the team altogether and we wind up keeping Leinart, Hall and Skelton, with one of those rookies getting the job as backup. In fact, I’m wondering if we might see Skelton or Hall going up against the starting lineup of the Redskins if Whiz is really trying to determine who Leinart’s backup is going to be.

104. By Lee on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like Matt is nothing more than an overpriced WHINER. Shut up, do your job, it’s a TEAM effort. Doesn’t sound like Matt has passed the Whiz test yet! You never heard Kurt whine about anything in his career.

105. By Dan on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Leinart will be the starter in the REGULAR SEASON.

106. By Jeff Gollin on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

What I wished Matt had said:

“It’s pretty obvious we haven’t been getting it done on offense, but there is still. time to get things fixed. Along with everyone else – I’m redoubling my efforts to do my part to get us there.”

107. By CardsgirlJW on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I think Leinart is starting reg season unless something extraordinary happens tonight in Chicago. I think Coach Whis knows what Leinart brings…need to know what the other 3 can do before roster cuts. DA seems too inconsistent..missed too many wide open shots in my opinion… Leinart never really had the chance to establish a rhythm in the previous games and our 1st string O-line has only had 2 games together now in their new positions so why risk your starter (Leinart) while you are waiting for O-line to gel? Maybe this is more of a message to or evaluation of the O-line…if Matt’s your guy, step up your game for him. If it also happens to light a fire in Matt..bonus. My main concern with Matt is that he’s almost too contained..he’s playing “tight” instead of trusting himself.

108. By david on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Last year when I heard Matt would be the new starter… I knew the Cards were doomed… and Matt is clearly showing he doesnt have what it takes to be a good quarterback, especially to continue the success that the Cards have been having.
    I hope to God they demote him, because in all honesty even Skelton is better than him…

109. By Kdawg on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Take it from a Browns fan, Anderson is NOT the answer. Save yourself alot of time and frustration.

110. By latch on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Everyone is missing one important point in this drama;no one seems to remember that when Whiz was first hired Matt sh@t in his own nest.

Whiz went to the superbowl weekend and saw Matt in a darkwindowed limo and went over to introduce himself and Matt was either toking or doing some blow and blew Whiz off……

Unless Matt is the second coming of Joe Montana he is history in AZ

111. By cardsfan_x on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Matt, if you want to be a quaterback int this NFL – SIEZE THE DAY!

Play great football tonight. Revive your career.

Don’t be careful. Be great.

You are what you are, not what you were, not what you will be.

Play great football tonight.

SIEZE THE DAY!

112. By victor on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

i think its leinart who should be battleing hall for the 3rd QB spot.skelton should start,DA should be his back up.leinarts been pro for a while now and still hasnt proved that he has superbowl potential,the cards cant bottle feed the guy forever.its survival of the fittest and i think its time for leinart to go..

113. By cardsfan_x on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Leinart need’s to play much better football.

There is more to accuracy than completion percentage. The fact is most of his completions have been of the check downs in front of the defense. Throws any good junior high quarterback can make with similar effeciancy.
    The ONE first down throw he made this preseason was high, over the middle, into coverage, and resulted in an injury to the receiver.

That that receiver happened to be Larry Fitzgerald probalbly has, more than anything he has done this preseason, put Leinart in the doghouse.

Leinart made a similar throw in garbage time of a meaningless game last year.
    It was high, over the middle, and into coverage. It also resulted in an injury to the receiver. The game week 17 against Greenbay.
    The reciever was Anquan Bouldin. It was the last time Q would step onto a football field in Cardinal Red.

Leinart needs to be better, much better, if HE want’s to stay in Cardinal Red.

I am no hater. I believe him, when he says he can play better. I just hope that he chooses to do so now.

114. By 949Cardsfan on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Have you talked to any of the other players to get their take on the QB situation? Im real curious to hear what vets like fitz, adub and 9-O are saying about it?

115. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

949Cards –

I have not. But if they said anything else besides along the lines of “Whoever the quarterback, we have to go out and do our jobs” I would be shocked.

116. By Bill L on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Keep Matt in the Headlines…….Whiz sure doesn’t want questions about an abominable O-Line……and for heaven’s sake don’t ask whatever happened to that Power Running game…….see it is all sound bites and Whiz is nothing but a BS artist. But if he can keep Matt in the headlines, he keeps getting those paychecks. When DA fails in the regular season……THAT will be Matt’s fault, for Whiz not having enough time to prepare DA to run his O. This is a joke that the media loves to swallow…..so simple, IT’s MATT’s Fault…….OH Whiz, Where’s the O-Line…..Where’s the Power Running Game…….DON’T ASK….WHIZ WON’T TELL!

117. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I keep reading comments like motivate, light a fire, work harder, etc.. come on now, if you really think that is what Matt needs then enough said. He’s had ample time to mend fences with Whiz and show how dedicated he is. Perhaps he just isn’t that good, in time the story will come out. Frankly, I’m sad about this because I really thought we needed to concentrate on a defense that almost gave up 100 points in 2 playoff games and an O’line that can’t block.

And I wish I could ask the question of Whiz, if you knew Matt couldn’t get the job done (and clearly he and Warner knew it) and Warner gave you plenty of time to make the trade this team needed to stay competetive (and that’s not DA), did you turn your back on McNabb because of the money. Are the Bidwells jealous that they can only afford a Citation X and not a G-V like Jerry Jones flies around in.

118. By Matt on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I think the QB situation is just to give all the other teams a false sense of instability in AZ. If you look back to the preaseason of the year AZ went to the Super Bowl you would remember that Kurt Warner won that battle throwing a fraction of the balls Matt did. And if I remember correctly Coach Wiz said the reason Kurt won the QB battle that year it was because Matt had asuch a bad half against the Raiders (I think?) when he threw 3 interceptions. So even though Matt hasn’t moved the ball well he hasn’t turned it over either. If the O-line can pull it together Matt will be fine. All just my opinion but Im curious if you can find any stats from the 2008 Pre-season Darren.

Thanks.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

119. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Bill L –

We have asked about the run game and the offensive line. Whiz has said the same thing about that as the quarterback, that it’s a work in progress. He has said many times he isn’t blaming the quarterback for all the problems. What I love are fans who, from afar, believe that they would manage to browbeat answers out of a coach or player that aren’t coming.

120. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

What makes you so convinced McNabb was the answer, or that the Eagles were stupid? I mean, if McNabb is all that, aren’t the Eagles even dumber for getting rid of him in the first place?

121. By Matt on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

2008 pre-season Warner vs Leinart

Warner 12/17 for 142 yds, 0 TD’s, 0 INTs, 70.6%completion.

Leinart 28/45 for 354 yds, 2 TD’s, 3 INT’s (all vs Oakland in game 3) 62.2% Completion

2010 pre-season Anderson vs. Leinart so far…

Leinart 10/13 for 77 yds, 0TD’s, 0INT’s, 76.9% completion

Anderson 24/41 for 193 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT’s, 58.5 %completion.

It looks like were going down a similar path. Warner won it in 2008 and if the trends continue this pre-season Leinart should start. Only time will tell and yes Coach Wiz started both Leinart and Warner in the 2008 pre-season.

122. By RED BIRD 66 on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t realize that Matt was still playing high school ball. If he needs extra motivation at this point in his career then he is obviously not a starter. Doesn’t the millons in checks he has already cashed motivate hime in some way to not be labeled the 3RD biggest QB bust behing Leaf and J Russell. Maybe he should go play with the only coach who wanted ever wanted him Denny G, I think he is still coaching in the UFL.

123. By Scott H on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Just heard Michael Lombardi on the NFL Network state – and I quote – “But I do know that Matt Leinart will not be the starting QB for the Cardinals this year.” He didn’t say “I think.” He said “I know.” Granted, there are a miliion talking heads and they all have to have an opinion, but…this didn’t sound like an opinion to me. Don’t know his exact words beyond that but he also stated that the only real question at this point is whether Leinart will be released or not. I’m OK with Coach Whiz not coming out and saying that Leinart is his guy, period, because I really think he doesn’t know. But the fact that there is no clear endorsement from the head coach at this point says loud and clear that Leinart is on shaky ground. the next few weeks should be very interesting, indeed…

124. By MikeG on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,–Nice Blogs—I think all the talk and
    over-reaction at the QB position is ridiculous. Whiz
    is just moving his players around and moving them up
    and down the depth chart. He is doing what he always does,creating competition at every position which will
    later create more hunger from his players. He knows what he has in Leinart!! QB’S for the season will be Leinart, Anderson & Skelton!!! Agree???

125. By firemagoo on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

So Darren honest answer. Which would rather have. McNabb with Skelton and Hall as backups with the idea that McNabb is starter for next 2-3 years until one of the rookies is ready. Or ML starting with DA as backup and Skelton and Hall as 3rd and PS guys?

126. By Bird on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Really need a QB with accuracy in this offense. In fact accurracy is so understated in the NFL. Of course the other thing is a will to win ..I don’t see that in Lienart ar Anderson. Too many Coaches are caught up in throwing mechanics and size. But look at Pillip Rivers..side arm, ugly throwing motion. But this guy is deadly accurate and a competitor. Drew Brees is about 4 feet tall, but very accurate and very competitive. Of coure my favorite(I’m Biased) Colt Brennan Deadly accurate and very competitive.

In any case I know we won’t get Colt but We should look for another QB. Chase Daniel maybe? Also 4 feet tall and not even drafted, but impressed the Saints so much that he is now Back-up to Drew Brees. His height turned off many ,,,but he could be a steal. Just thinking outside of the box.

127. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

The Eagles in 1964 sent Sonny Jurgensen to the Redskins, where he played 11 seasons until he was 40 and became a Hall of Famer. The first thing Jurgensen said when he learned of the trade, “These people never learn”

You know the press and the fans in Philly are merciless. 6 Pro bowls or 16 wouldn’t have mattered. Someone had to pay for last year and he never won them a superbowl. So were the Eagles dumb, ABSOLUTELY. Were the Cardinals dumber, well consider that Warner was older than McNabb when he came to the Cards and for 4 million he played behind McCown.

According to Wikipedia we paid Kurt 18 million in 2006. McNabb’s salary is reported between 6.5 and 9.5 million. Certainly, less than we paid Kurt last year. Would McNabb have cost more in the next 3 or 4 years, sure but like I said before you usually get what you pay for.

We’ll never know what McNabb’s leadership and charisma would have meant for this team. Unfortunately, we are learning the negative consequences of a lack of leadership. I don’t want to play the would of, could of, should of, game all season, but for my multi-thousand dollar season ticket investment, I would like to have an explanation and some accountability. I can handle the truth.

128. By Mike F on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

You should tell Matt to go out and find some kids playing football mailbox to mailbox or tree to tree and tell him to stop and be all time QB. I don’t think he has enjoyed football the last 3 years. Maybe that will get him back into the swing. Really I believe that is the only way he has a chance at being successful in Arizona. And no not the playing football with the kids part but the having fun part.

129. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

I don’t know what will happen.

130. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Firemagoo –

McNabb needs a new contract after 2010. He is going to want a giant contract extension. How much are you paying him? And what if it turns out the Eagles were right and McNabb is toast? And what about the fact McNabb has never played in anything but a West Coast offense, which is most certainly not what the Cards play?

131. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

The truth is that obviously, the Cards didn’t see him as a fit. So can you really handle the truth? The truth is the Cards didn’t want him, yet you don’t seem to want to accept that.

And with Kurt, I love some of the revisionist history. Everybody was ready to see him benched in early 2006.

Personally, I have never been a believer in McNabb, so personally, I didn’t want to see that move. You are free to feel otherwise.

132. By Ken Cadena on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Im going to comment on latches statement about Matt blowing whiz off at the Super Bowl 5 years ago. It only makes sense that his first impression is the last one. He is a punk. They should of saved the waisted 50 Million and put it in the defense. We would of probably won 2 Superbowls and kept Anquon by now. So in retrospect the card organization failed to make sense of there money and commanding desicions. I SAY LETS NOT GIVE UP ON KURT YET. The Bidwells can take that money they save when they dump Matt and build the Cardinal Catholic Church 1st chapter for Kurt. if there is a will there is a way. LORD HELP US, KURT PLEASE COM BACK. HAIL KURT

133. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Latch and Ken –

Nice to know neither one of you know what you are talking about.

I wish I would’ve noticed Latch’s comment earlier, but I didn’t. Clearly you have zero idea of what happened. Whiz did walk up to Leinart’s car on a crowded South Beach street at the Super Bowl. He knocked on the window, surprising Leinart, and they shook hands through the window. Leinart did not blow him off. He was not doing drugs. But obviously, those facts wouldn’t help to demonize Matt, so why bother with them.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with comments with idiocy like this. Criticize Leinart’s play. Fine. It’s easy to find things to criticize. But if you want to throw other crap up there, maybe you just instead refrain from opening your mouth, because you just come across like you are clueless.

And Ken, time to live in the now. Warner retired. It has nothing to do with money.

134. By johnnybluenose on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

i guess we won’t know much until after the bears game but i agree with all those who have stated that leinart has not been given much of a chance to show what he can do. whiz always goes with the qb he thinks gives him the best chance to win NOW. my guess is that whiz doesn’t think it’s leinart. fair enough. but i can’t believe that anderson is a serious upgrade. if whiz wasn’t sold on leinart then we should have signed a number one qb, like mcnab or maybe even jason campbell. and whiz should have been fair to leinart and released him months ago so he could have hooked up with another team early on instead of at the end of pre-season, as now appears likely. not a classy move on the cardinals’ part. i think we are going backwards.

135. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

You just keep saying the same thing over and over. The “Cards”… who Whiz, Graves, Bidwell Sr. or Bidwell Jr, and why, poor IQ, can’t stay healthy. They didn’t see him as “a fit”. Why is that. Leinart is a better fit? Anderson is a better fit? Come on Darren. How about some facts. Yes, obviously they didn’t want him…that’s not an answer to my question.

Oh and BTW couldn’t help but laugh when I was listening to ESPN radio after my first post, Philly is getting antsy about Cobb and what a big mistake it was to trade McNabb to the Redskins.

136. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

One more thing. don’t accuse me of revisionist history. I’ve been very critical of KW. I’m the one with the link:

I don’t think KW belongs in the Hall of Fame. Without McNabb and the Eagles the Cards would have traveled to New York where the Giants and the weather would have crushed them worse than the Saints did last year. Home filed advantage and a non pass interference call got KW back to the SB. That was a heck of alot of fun…I’d like to see them do it again.

137. By bob gomez on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I feel for Matt. Something always seems to happen to get in his way of delivering on the field. Look at how many recievers are hurt. The top 3 that will start game one will be 3 different ones then the guys who will play in chicago on sat.I think the real reason is that hes not Coach Whiz’s guy ie..not drafted by current coaching staff. The buck stops at the coach. Its just like when ownership changes at any business you could have the best manager in place but hes not the new owners guy so he is the first to go.

138. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

The Eagles are getting antsy … or their fans?

As for answers, what exactly are you looking for: “Whisenhunt said he hates McNabb’s guts and doesn’t want him”? They don’t see him as a fit. He doesn’t play this system, he would want too much money, he’s old and possibly unable to play at a high level anymore. I don’t know what else you want. At the time, they believed going with Leinart was a better idea (and until McNabb shines with the Redskins, you won’t convince me it was wrong not to make a play for McNabb. Did you see he was 10 for 27 in the last preseason game he played?)

139. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Kolb not Cobb, sorry i never cud spell rite

140. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

SI:

That said, Kolb hasn’t been accurate enough and hasn’t been able to overcome challenges so far

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-08-28/teammates-contribute-to-miscues-of-eagles-kevin-kolb#ixzz0xy1qBLs6

141. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

BTW I keep pounding you on this subject because you posted early on that McNabb was definitely not coming to AZ, like you had some in side info that was obviously right on the mark. And no I don’t think Whiz hates his guts, the only person I think Whiz hates is ML….just kidding, a little

2. Aug 27, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals QB Matt Leinart Upset After Being Benched For Derek Anderson
  3. Aug 27, 2010: Cardinals Matt Leinart is not happy | Red Zone Talk | Rant Sports
  4. Aug 27, 2010: The curious case of Matt Leinart
  5. Aug 27, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  6. Aug 28, 2010: SATURDAY LINKS: Enright just keeps rolling along | phoenix.rssible.com
  7. Aug 29, 2010: Leinart defends himself, questions Cards starting Anderson « Ninacasper56's Blog
  8. Aug 29, 2010: Sports Review