• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

And now, a word from our sponsors

Posted by Darren Urban on August 28, 2010 – 3:46 pm

We briefly interrupt our talk about Derek Anderson and Matt Leinart to discuss a couple other things:

– Very interested to see how linebacker Daryl Washington responds to playing with the starting unit tonight. All along I didn’t think Washington would get to the starting lineup by the beginning of the season but it turns out I may be wrong on that. In many ways, it makes sense. If you aren’t sure of what you’ll get from the rest of the linebackers, maybe you just get the top talent on the field and live with a few mistakes.

– The Bears don’t usually blitz, so I don’t expect a repeat of what the Titans did to the offense and offensive line Monday night. Still, the line needs to hold up against someone like DE Julius Peppers, who has apparently played pretty well thus far. Obviously, regardless of it’s Anderson or Leinart, they need to run the ball a little better. Or a lot better.

– OK, maybe there are a couple of real sponsor-esque things to get to. The NFL, trying to fight childhood obesity and promote the game, has put together a new campaign called “Back to Football Fridays.” The idea is that offices have a Friday tailgate or something else to make people think about being active/football. I’m guessing most people wouldn’t mind having time away from the cubicle. There is even a drawing to enter to have a past or current player visit the office during one of these times.

– Speaking of meeting players, there is still time to get a ticket for Wednesday’s Kickoff Luncheon at University of Phoenix Stadium. You’ll sit at a table with a player or two, have a chance to walk around and meet everyone if you want, and be able to bid on auction items all on the floor of the stadium. Always a cool experience.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “And now, a word from our sponsors”

1. By cardsfan28 on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, correct me if I’m wrong but Daryl is taking Paris’s spot tonight, right? And is Dan Williams playing with the ones tonight? If he is who’s spot is he taking tonight?

2. By Brad ONeill on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

i am surprised washington is moving up with beisal and lenon playing so well. Don’t get me wrong i think washington is great and i am behind him all the way i just thought the other guys were playing pretty darn good.

3. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan –

I don’t think Williams is starting. And technically yes, I think Washington is taking Lenon’s spot, but Lenon remains in the starting lineup.

4. By BigRedFan on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

GO BIG RED!!!

5. By darrenrocks on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey D, has Stevie Baggs officially made the team? That guy gives me a really good feeling for our defense, hate to see him go…..

6. By Skiptim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Dees looks like the situation I asked about in a blog a while ago. Basically, Paris is taking Beisel or Walker’s spot, right?

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Darrenrocks –

Nothing is officially on the roster until we get to the regular season. Is he making strides? Yes.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

Correct.

9. By Ken Cadena on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren I know you are in LALA land with Matty, but you should not give up on A Kurt return. I think, you think anyone who challenges your thought process on indavidual character critisism on players is clueless.
    Becareful how you speak to your fan base, because the tides can turn very quickly from the Red Sea. Both quarterbacks are a waist of money. the only chance the cards have are to go out and spend some cash on a seasoned vet, unfortunately there are none out there now. Darren believe me when I say I understand the spiritual side of kurt not comming back, but the fact of the matter is that the card organization approaches to retain there players in a non proficient manner. I keep saying they need to approach kurt in a beneficial spiritual manner that appeals to him. I know you think were in only Pre- game 3 with thease guys, but there are no shinning points durring the game. I think the Cards should go after Rothlisberger. and make the transition complete.

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Ken –

Latch made up a false story. Period. He clearly didn’t check out what he thought he remembered. I have zero problem with criticism of Matt. He deserves some.

Explain to me why I have to be careful in this circumstance when Latch, for example, trashed a person. It’s OK for fans to do it because they are fans? I disagree.

You want to tell me the Cards should chase Rooethlisberger? That’s cool. I understand. But you weren’t the one hammering Matt for a reason he shouldn’t have been hammered for (although I should probably thank you because I was so busy approving comments the other day I would have never seen it if you hadn’t brought it up again.

As for Kurt, the man has said how many times he’s not coming back. I’m not sure why people still keep hoping it will happen.

11. By el_padrino on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey D….y u responding to knuckle heads?

12. By Ken Cadena on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks were cool. Ill give up on Kurt, but its nice to dream.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Ken –

Hey, you aren’t the only one dreaming. But it’s just a dream.

14. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Defense is looking better. When is Henderson going to take over as defensive coordinator? I wonder how many reverses have worked against Peppers since he played pop warner? At least he didn’t score on an interception tonight.