Broughton probably done

Posted by Darren Urban on August 28, 2010 – 9:16 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said fullback Nehemiah Broughton, who would have been the starter and probably the lone fullback on the roster, likely tore the ACL in his left knee. The team will do further tests, but if true, he is done for the season. It makes for a bind for the Cards. Do they keep current backup Reagan Maui’a? Do they bring back Charles Ali, who was the backup earlier in camp before getting hurt and cut?

UPDATE: The Cards can’t bring back Ali. He was released through an injury settlement, and the Cards wouldn’t be able to bring him back until October.

Tags: , ,

35 Responses to “Broughton probably done”

1. By TucsonTim on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

If Maui’a isn’t ready then why do they keep brining him back. I thought he looked good tonight.

2. By Bgaffn on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I thought Mauia looks good tonight. I was pleased with the overall performance of the team

3. By Stuart on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Not to rush you or anything you should right an article about the QB contraversy after tonights game. My opinion Matt still has his starting job. DA did nothing with the offence that Matt didn’t do better. I just want to see Matt and the 1st string keep playing at that level and beyond all the way into the way through the regular season. Would you agree Darren?

4. By Beau on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Keep Reagan Maui’a! He’s played great!

5. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Awww crap. Maui’a is more famous for his YouTube “intensity” than his real blocking.
    This put a cramp into Whiz’s power game. There should be be waiver picks available. Dan Kreider, you want to pull a Farve?

6. By pacardfan on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Bring Dan Kreider Back!!!! He may be old, but he still has great blocking skills which only helps the running game and is a good FB overall.

7. By Stuart on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Beau, Maui’a looks the most solid.

8. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

JUGGERNAUT!!!!

9. By Chris on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

dont do anything with the FB spot. keep Maui’a, he got some good blocks tonight. if that keeps up, Hightower and Wells will do good.

10. By Brad ONeill on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

when did nehemiah broughton go down? I lost the direct tv connection just before the half did it happen then?

that is terrible for Broughton and for the Cardinals. i wish him well in his rehab. hopefully the initial diagnosis but if not I hope they keep him on the ir.

11. By Leo on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Can’t bring back Charles Ali until 6 weeks have passed from the end of his injury settlement term. In the meantime, he’s free to sign with any other team at any time.

12. By Neil on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I saw something I’m matt that I have never seen before……fire passion and drive…..what breaston caught that touchdown pass and ran it in at that moment Matt shows his confidence in his play and the passion to celebrate that play showing EVERYONE that he has it and not to doubt him. What do you think about his play tonight urban?

13. By mike b on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

here I see the the cards cutting him, and not bring back Ali. I think what will happen is we use him to be cut in the final roster cuts along with such people as Trevor Ford, Ed Gant (until suspention over I guess), Mike Jones, A.J Jefferson, Casey Knips, and such. Sorry for calling those guys out I haven’t heard much of any of them. (Knips I think is P.s eligible right darren?) well anyway I think that this is really good for Regan.

14. By Logan Cooper on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I just saw Whisenhunt’s presser after the game. Wow. I don’t think leinart can do anything in his power to be the starter. I don’t know if it is really whiz saying this stuff or someone behind the scenes is controlling what Leinarts future is gonna be. Whiz was searching for things to say against leinart.
    Do you see or get a sense of any of this!?

15. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been looking at hard knocks and the jets have 3 good fullbacks, wait till they cut one or two.

16. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Sucks for nehemiah he looked straight as our fb.

17. By ben on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

wow everyone is gonna love #7 again, but come on anderson went in and won the field position battle in the first two drives and then punched it in. please coach keep Mr. Anderson in the game!

18. By Big D on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

anderson just looks better hes willing to throw the ball long and is accurate on them. he misses easy passes once in a while but he moves the ball down the field easily given time i think he could play pro bowl level again and open up the run, matt did good tonight but he dosnt move well in the pocket is slow and checks down quite often i just think anderson is a better qb for this team, now if matt was on the ravens i think he would do better but not here

19. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Leo —

Noted that in my notebook. Forgot about that when I was hurrying to post before our flight. You are right.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Neil —

I think Matt played exactly how he needed to play.

21. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

Read my aftermath to get more of my thoughts.

22. By EFerg on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Great coverage as always, thanks.

Question: A-dub had a charity event scheduled in Scottsdale some time before the season starts. Has that passed?

Thanks for the info.

Eric

23. By Joel on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I haven’t heard much on how the rehab is doing with Gerald Hayes. Can you comment on whether he may start for the Rams? Or will the team be leaning on Washington with the impressive performances he’s had?

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

EFerg —

Honestly, I don’t know off the top of my head.

25. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Joel —

Hayes will not play against the Rams. He hasn’t even gotten back to practice yet and he hasn’t done anything since last season. There is a chance he is going to be put on PUP to start the season.

26. By kauaicardsfan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is there a general mailing address to send stuff to the players, I may want to send some local Hawaiian items to Maui’a, he can share or not if he wants too:)

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

You can send it to 8701 S Hardy, Tempe, Az., 85284.

28. By trigidy22 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, whats the chances we have a fullback this year?? Do u think Wiz will go without? What about Dockett? opening up the hole???

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

There will be a fullback. And it won’t be Dockett.

30. By Jaime Eisner on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Any chance they go with J. Wright at FB… he has played there in select situations before?

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Jaime —

Not big enough.

32. By alex *24 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

should look for cuts from ny jets for jettison Richardson or john connor. monster fbs

33. By Rodney on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Any chance that Byrd will get some reps at FB/H-back to demonstrate if he can add flexibility to the roster? If so, does Byrd make the final roster?

34. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Cards should keep an eye out for Quinn Johnson from GB. The Packers are stacked at that position, and if they would keep Johnson, they would be keeping 3 FBs. Johnson is good, but on the bubble because of vets ahead of him. Johnson is 6-1 and 263 and packs a load as a blocker.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Rodney —

I don’t see Byrd being the FB.