Bears aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2010 – 2:40 am

Life on the charter flight. I write this version of the Aftermath well after midnight Arizona time, sitting in the back of the plane as flight attendants Billi and Candice serve dinner and fullback Reagan Maui’a sits across from me, playing his ukulele at 30,000 feet.

But we must go on to the game. That’s what you’re here for.

– I don’t know exactly what Ken Whisenhunt was aiming for when he decided to start Derek Anderson this week over Matt Leinart, but whatever his intention, it worked. Both played well, and frankly, I don’t envy Whisenhunt’s decision going forward. Nothing was made easier Saturday night in the Chicago win, although Whiz was clearly feeling better about life than in the Tennessee game.

“I take my hat off to (the QBs),” running back Tim Hightower said. “A lot of people they can say whatever they want to about Matt, but he showed a lot. D.A., he played well, and when he had opportunities, he capitalized. But Matt came in and did his thing and he handled himself well.”

It was interesting that twice, Whisenhunt noted the quarterback choice will come down to chemistry with the team and how the QB handles things when he is in the fray – and that it won’t necessarily be about stats. Given that Leinart has completed 19-of-23 preseason passes and not turned it over, Whiz’s comments seem to pump the brakes on the idea Leinart could be the favorite. One of the issues swirling around Leinart for a while has been whether he is able to inspire the team.

“I don’t know what the decision will be made on,” Leinart said, smiling. “I feel like I have a great relationship with my guys, my team for four, five years now. Like I said, I can only control what I control, and that’s playing good football and being a leader. I have a great relationship with all my teammates and I don’t think it should be based on that because I feel like I am doing a good job in that department.”

– Arguably, the guy with the biggest stake in the quarterback position is Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. His thoughts on the QB controversy/competition? Fitz told this to ace beat man Kent Somers: “I’m just a hired hand, man. I’m just a pawn on the chess board.”

Something tells me Fitz has his opinions.

– Hightower ran the ball well (62 yards on eight carries). Beanie Wells didn’t have the greatest night. He gained 14 yards on eight carries, dropped a pass and, most crucial, fumbled the ball late in the second quarter inside the Bears’ 10-yard line when it looked like the Cards were going to drive for a TD. Replays seemed to show Beanie might have been down a split-second before losing control, but it wasn’t overturned, and Whisenhunt wasn’t happy considering Beanie’s fumbling issues as a rookie.

“That is something with Beanie we have made progress with and he obviously was criticized for not paying more attention to the ball there,” Whisenhunt said.

– Deuce Lutui logged significant time with the starting offensive line at right guard, although Reggie Wells started. Given all the talk about Anderson, Greg Toler and Daryl Washington moving into the starting lineup, you wonder if Deuce is next.

– All four guys who can play nose tackle – Bryan Robinson, Gabe Watson, Alan Branch and Dan Williams – logged time there by early in the second quarter. It’s beginning to look like the Cards could very well keep them all, and seven defensive linemen overall (Campbell, Dockett, Iwebema).

– Speaking of the defensive front, they again played well and sparked the overall good defensive night (four sacks and two picks of QB Jay Cutler and Mike Martz’s latest attempt to revive the Greatest Show on Turf, except on grass).

– I’m not sure Stephen Williams has had a bad day since training camp started. Anderson played well, but he owes a little something to the rookie receiver for coming up big in traffic.

– Awesome play to score your touchdown, Steve Breaston (pictured below). Oh, don’t ever leap like that in a preseason game again. Your legs looked like they were going to snap as you went up and over the goal line.

– QB Max Hall looked sharp at the end. And I’m beginning to think Max Komar will be the second rookie receiver to stick around, if they decide to keep six receivers. All he does is make plays. (UPDATE: Oops. Forgot Andre Roberts is a rookie. He will make it too).

– Offensive linemen David Moosman and Casey Knips haven’t gotten into a game yet. That doesn’t bode well with a cut of five coming Monday. And speaking of not boding well, the fact tight end Dominique Byrd didn’t play Saturday usually isn’t a good sign either.

Wow, I wrote a lot there. Might have to take Sunday off.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

158 Responses to “Bears aftermath”

1. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

DIVING FOR THE END ZONE IN A PRESEASON GAME = GOING ALL OUT FOR YOUR QUATERBACK, MATT LEINART. ANDERSON PLAYED REALLY WELL ON SATURDAY, NO DENYING THAT. BUT IF LEINART WOULD NOT HAVE RESPONDED LIKE HE DA WOULD BE OUR STARTER. SINCE MATT DID RESPOND, HOWEVER, I FEEL HE DID NOT LOSE HIS JOB. I HAVE A FEELING FITZY WANTS DA WHICH COULD COMPLICATE THINGS A BIT. WHOM EVER IS UNDER CENTER I WILL SUPPORT WHOLEHEARTEDLY; ALTHOUGH I AM A LEINART GUY!

2. By darrel on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren Marshay green. Pretty much blew his chance tonight. Is that safe to say

3. By Mack on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Steve Breaston IS ok though, right? Tell me im not gonna wake up and see that hes got some hamstring injury or something. His leg flung out nastily there.

4. By DHALL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Well ladies and gentlemen as I awake on Sunday morning I have a sense of relief for our red birds! DA did an ok job but the true victor was Matt! He had the fire and calm of a true QB. That boy has worked his butt off this year and he finally showed his true colors and I may be wrong but I think Coach is going to look at the consistency of Matt and make a WISE decision. Our defense looks like a top 5 in the league ( man did it they look AWESOME). Still one concern is our O-Line but I think they will gel when it comes time. Darren, who do you think we can get as a good consistent fullback…… i my friend have no clue when I look around the mix?? ( Looked like a pro in the suit….lol!!)

DHALL

5. By DHALL on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Okay, Darren as I look as the presser from Whiz I feel like Matt is his stepchild and DA is his blood and that upsets me a bit! All I want to say about that is we have a great arm with power and pocket stability but not great decisions(DA) or we have a smart methodical, work and power the ball down the hashes(ML) pitt style offense that eats the clock and beats the opposing defense?? Is that not what coach has tried to establish here in the valley? It seems to me that the decision is easy but Whiz just doesn’t want to trust it! I hope this doesn’t turn into a Cleveland year if you know what I mean!!!!!!

DHALL

6. By BigRedFan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks again, Darren. . . . . awesome stuff.

7. By Bill L on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like Whiz is looking for a reason to start DA, but having trouble finding it. If I am not mistaken Matt was No. 1 at the start of training camp….always has been and is still No. 1 on the depth chart…..DA’s start was supposedly a NO CHANGE in that area. Matt Looked and performed exceptionally……..so, Whiz will decide based on his oija board…..and if that doesn’t work, maybe he will get an astrologer……if that doesn’t work, how about rock, paper, scissors……dice…..coin flip…..

O-line looked much better, and running game with Hightower looked good.

Cards are ready…..if O-line tightens it up a little more….Wells joins the running game …….and Whiz doesn’t screw it up.

8. By Leann on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think Whiz is trying to toughen Matt Leinart up by showing him, “Hey, you know what, this position is yours to lose….” Matt overall looks like he could lead this team but I would definitely like to see him show more emotion, even if its shouting at his receiver to tell him, “You ran the wrong damn route, PAY ATTENTION”. Also, he needs to work on his footwork. LOL

I still see Anderson as a raw quarterback with no less than 20+ interceptions a year.

IN MATT LEINART I TRUST

9. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Well, seems certain Matt ain’t getting cut or traded. But Max Hall, wow. You tweeted, throwing “dart(s)”….on the mark. Who knew pre-season could be so fun?

10. By Steve on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Its all speculation, but that was my take on Breaston’s effort, as well. Doesn’t that say something about ‘chemistry’? Anderson did well, but his inconsistency with his accuracy still concerns me. It’ll be interesting to see which direction Whiz goes with this. Darren – who is out there at FB, or do you think we’ll wait to see what the cuts look like this week?

11. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Btw, Matt was as accurate as Warner ever was. Wow there too, And more than a little pis_ed. That’s what Whiz wants, an angry QB, no? Works.

12. By Cardinal Cody on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I am pulling for Matt, and I do believe this move to make Anderson the starter against da Bears was to light a fire under Leinart’s keester, maybe, to make him play with some urgency, some attitude. I agree with CHIRPCHRP44, whoever is QB will supported 100% and I’m anxious to see who it will be and what this season will bring. In Whiz I trust! Go Cardinals!!

13. By gmabel830 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

You talked about Stephen Williams great play earlier, and then referenced Komar as the “second rookie receiver” who could make the squad. Does this imply you are not certain Roberts will make the squad, or would he join Fitz-Breaston-Doucet-Williams-Komar in your 6 WRs scenario, thus making it 3 rookie WRs on the roster?

14. By Rick on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I have to be honest.. while Coach Whis has done a lot to earn all of our trust you have to wonder about his handling of Matt… Whis has done nothing but talk about how well Matt has done for the past 6 months, doing everything he has been asked, and now in the last week Matt appears to do no right… You can’t help but lose a little respect for Whis… However winning cures all!!!

15. By Judy on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I would expect Wiz to put the best QB in to start,reguardless of what Larry Fitzgerald or his friend Chrs Carter want.Who is running the team anyway.Fitz has made a lot of money here and should be happy with whomever the QB is.I really don’t think Fitz is the kind of person to try to sway Wiz on this,do you.

16. By Peter in Canada on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Great win. I wasn’t able to see the game. but it appeared from the news that the defense played great and the QB’s both played well so nothing was settled in that regard. But it sure is better that both QB’s are playing well than both are playing poorly.
    Good to see Hightower and the running game emerge. Despite the Beanie fan club pressing for him to start I think Hightower has a lot to offer.
    BTW how did Baggs do? Canadians are very interested in how he does and are rooting for him to make it. Thanks for your reports.

17. By Thomas77 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

A few observations about Beanie:
    – He doesn’t seem quite as powerful as he did last year. He doesn’t seem to carry a pile or pick up quite the yards after the first hit like he had been. Not sure if it’s due to his drop in weight, or maybe his focus on not putting the ball on the ground. His fumble on the Bears 6 yard line sorta lends creedance to the latter, being that that was actually a play where he really was pushing forward to grab a few more.

One of my issues with Hightower is his propensity to dance and run horizontally, rather than upfield. He didn’t do alot of that last night, and made several good runs. Although, on one of those, he did make a few moves but still turned upfield quickly.

I think Daryl Washington has found his way into the starting rotation.

The starting defense seems to be coming together much better now; although, the Bears sure did make the Raiders D look good last week too….

I agree with you about Lutui, Darren. Weight issues (and any Dairy Queen hot fudge sundae’s with banana slice fetishes) aside, he seems far better than Wells.

I also agree with CHIRPCHIRP about Breaston. I sorta think that heroic leap for the endzone may have been for Matt, knowing his missed route last week lost him a first down and subsequently led to his “demotion” this week. I don’t seem to recall, and correct me if I’m wrong, Breaston ever doing something like that, especially not in pre-season. But then again, it’s also quite possible that Breaston is feeling (whether imagined or not) a little heat from Stephen Williams. Cause I gotta tell you, I have already considered nabbing Williams as a third, or backup WR over Steve Breaston, for my fantasy league, if he get’s picked up. I wouldn’t be surprised if he at least takes Doucet’s spot. Doucet can be a good/great reciever…when he plays. I love his physicality, but he has the same problems Boldin had – durability/reliability.

I also agree with you about the QB situation not being any easier. But here’s my take on it. The Cards are not letting Max Hall go to waivers, and I doubt they’ll let their 5th round pick (of which they traded up for) go to waivers either. The fact that both Matt and Anderson did better last night than previously lends credit to the idea that the QB competition is better for both, if not more so for Matt. So I doubt Whiz is gonna keep Matt without Anderson there to push him. But, I am starting to agree with Mike Lombardi and thinking there’s a possibility that Whiz would consider keeping Derek, and giving up Matt if he saw another decent veteran hit waivers. Personally, I think the Whiz/Leinart era is over. Even if Matt is still here come week one. Matt is obviously not happy, and he’s been pretty vocal about it. Also, Whisenhunt has been all praises for Derek and somewhat muted praises for Matt. The relationship is obviously very strained. I think keep Matt around at this point risks some possibilities of locker room discontent. It’s time to make a decision and move on….

Oh, and Darren. The last three Whiz pressers have been freezing up right in the middle of the interview. Doesn’t happen to any other video’s, just his pressers. Not sure if I’m the only one, but I’m assuming I’m not.

18. By Eric on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

The offensive players seem to play looser and enjoy themselves more when DA is in there. I have a feeling it’s going to be Anderson to start the season.

19. By Eric on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

What do you mean you don’t envy Whiz’s decision? Look at the stats:

2010 Pre-Season Stats

#3 Anderson
    CMP ATT YDS CMP% TD/INT RAT
    31 53 287 58% 2/2 70.2

#7 Leinart
    CMP ATT YDS CMP% TD/INT RAT
    19 23 161 83% 1/0 110.32

Leinart is CLEARLY the better QB, and always has been. Anderson’s low completion percentage, 50/50 TD/INT ration, and passer rating are right on target with those stats for his career. Watch the tape and see how DA was throwing behind and over his receivers last night. As much as Breaston helped Leinart by diving into the endzone, other receivers helped DA by reaching backwards for the ball.

I don’t know what Whiz was trying to accomplish by starting Anderson, either. It just made the Cardinals organization and Leinart look like clowns in front of the national media.

20. By trigidy22 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren i think are team played well finally to bad this was not week 1 or 2 of the preseason an now we got alot to do by the final at Glendale!! Leinart played very well so do u think its a 1a-1b compation or 1 vs the guy thats been on the team for 5yrs that underachived??

Deuce Lutui was opening up hugh cans of woop ___! Deuce is back to last yr form just not so quick on the old feet..

21. By We'll miss Q on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Funny how Fitz will not tell Somers his thoughts, but he has no problem texting his brother, or griping to Cris Carter.

Stepehen Williams should now be the #3 receiver on this team, yes I said THIRD receiver. He has shown good hands, good speed, the ability to catch the ball in traffic and hold on, and most importantly TOUGHNESS. Early Doucet has not been able to stay on the field since he was drafted.

Max Komar should make this team over Roberts. Roberts has dropped balls in both practice and games, and also has been hurt. All Komar has done is catch everything thrown at him.

I hope Whiz truly will play whoever “deserves” it. This mean Bridges needs to get reps at LT for Levi Brown, and Lutui at G over Faneca(maybe moving wells back). It is clear both have been terrible this season. The only reason one can find for both to keep starting with their performances is they are both Whiz and Grimm favorites. Seems like the QB’s are being held to a different standard.

22. By Chris B on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

One guy who shouldn’t go under the radar from the game is Matt Ware. He was all over the ball. Hamza looked solid too. Mike Adams even made plays. Our secondary, while a big question in the off season, looks very good now.

Darren, do you see the team keeping 5 safeties (Wilson, Rhodes, Johnson, Ware, Hamza) instead of 6-7 Corners? DRC, Toler, McBride, Adams, Green, and Calvin seem to be the only one worth keeping.

23. By AbqNMCardsFan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I know the Whiz will think of something. What are your thoughts on Trent Green being with the Cards if they could get him as a QB?

24. By AbqNMCardsFan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

My bad he’s retired lol.:…

25. By Stuart on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Well with the way Lienart responded to being benched this game (9/10, 84 yrds, 1 TD) he should keep his starting job, He just can’t let it get to his head and has to keep working hard. Anderson proved he is going to be a awesome backup to Lienart (7/12, 94 yrds, 1 TD).

Fitz had said multiple times that he can’t wait to get the season started with Lienart. So you deffinetly know he has the full backing of all the key compenants of the starting offence.

Bennie needs to really focus on keeping ahold of the ball, we don’t need an Addrain Peterson on are team let the Vickings deal with that.

Stephan Williams and Max Komar did nothing but continue to impress, pretty sure your going to see them on a regular basis throughout the regular season.

Hightower is a guy that alway’s suprises, and you can deffinetly tell who he wants as the starting QB just watch the footage and see how much more he worked for each QB then loook at his persona when Lienart is at the helm compared to Anderson.

Last but not least DARREN you need a small vacation brotha, but thanks for making sure to always keep us fans happy.

26. By Tyler on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I am a little bit worried about our offensive line depth. I know that a number of the guys are versatile, but if you assume that the Cardinals keep only one of Wells/Lutui, are there any backups other than Bridges, Hadnot, and perhaps Herman Johnson who are worthy of a roster spot?

27. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

Blew his chance? I wouldn’t say that. These guys are being evaluated on more than one game. But if he struggled, it doesn’t help.

28. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

Breaston is fine.

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

DHall –

Well, Broughton was their guy, so I am not sure what the Cards think right now.

30. By dwashington4pres on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Oh no, ALL-CAPS guy is also a Leinart guy. That doesn’t bode well for Matty. I think Matt has been smart, cautious, and efficient. The rest of the offense was awful the past few weeks and he stayed calm. Can we get a reality check here? Anderson was beat out by Brady Quinn in Cleveland (third on the depth chart in Denver now) Why did we even bring this guy in? I don’t trust him. I’d rather have Max Hall over Anderson as my backup, because if nothing else, he’s not Derek Anderson.

31. By Aaron on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Leinart looked pretty good. DA wasn’t horrible, I still think he’s a tad too inaccurate. Komar has been pretty impressive this preseason and I hope to see him make the team.

Any chance of Levi Brown getting cut? lol Just kidding, I know that would never happen….right? =p

Defense had a few breakdowns, tackling is still somewhat an issue. Overall they looked pretty impressive.

32. By Scott H on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Boy, Darren, You are absolutely right about things not getting any easier for coach Whiz! He must want to strangle both of these guys right about now. They both play prett lousy through two straight games, then they BOTH get their act together in the third. Both QB’s looked solid. Trouble is, neither of them has separated from the other. Now what??? There are just no easy decisions here for Whiz. Like yourself, I don’t envy him.

While the QB situation remains a muddled mess, one guy is making it very easy for the coaches – Stephen Williams. This kid has looked great. Even if Fitz, Breaston, and Doucet are healthy and productive, I hope Williams will still get his chances. He’s a playmaker, period, and your playmakers need to be on the field.

Finally, major league kudos to Breaston for his desire to get in the end zone. No, I don’t really want to see any of our big guns risking injury like that during pre-season…but this play says a lot about this guy. It says plenty about his heart and desire ( two things you can never have enough of on your team ), AND I really wouldn’t be surprised if Steve-O was maybe just trying to help his QB out a little bit. Again, we don’t need injuries ( shoot, we already have a bunch of yahoos blaming Leinart for Fitz being hurt! ), but ya gotta love a guy who does whatever it takes to cross the goal line.

While Timmy looked awesome running the ball last night, it was not good to see Wells put it on the ground inside the 5 when the offense is trying to get it together. No doubt, this team will benefit from both of these guys getting lots of opportunities. But while many seem to think that Beanie is the guy who will be taking over as the season goes on, I’d say that Timmy Hightower is NOT gonna go silently into the night. Good for him! Just keep on chuggin, Timmy!

33. By dwashington4pres on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Ok, Technically Brady is 2nd in Denver. But he’s still a mess and the implication is the same.

34. By aaaaudio on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I am very impressed with ML and DA. ML mostly because of his stats. I think he would have had two touchdown drives had the refs not robbed us of the fumble call. Clearly he was down before the ball came out.
    ML’s stats are amazing! This week someone actually protected him in the pocket. Given time he was able to throw down field. I also feel ML is the step child and DA is blood to Whiz. I feel if ML doesn;t start week one there will be bad blood flowing through the team.
    Darren what do you think the chances are of ML starting agianst the Rams in week 1?

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Leann –

I think Whiz wants to toughen Leinart, but that doesn’t mean he necessarily gets the job either.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

I’m not sure on FB.

37. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

gmabel30 –

Oops. Didn’t forget about Roberts, but forgot about making him a “rookie.”

38. By 949Cardsfan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Ahh-Ha! Now that makes sense. Larry Fitz has probably been giving Whiz his 2 cents about who he prefers at QB. This is a very real possibility. Remember it was Fitz who sent Kurt all those texts after the season begging him to come back…Whiz’ comments about chemistry…and Oh yeah’ Fitz’ season was almost over after catching another high throw from Matt. That explains why Whiz isnt worried about the teams confidence in Matt, the teams best player has none. Matt, you should’ve taken Larry to Hawaii! you better start politicing with Larry. He’s your key to an NFL career.

39. By CZarr on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Enjoy your day off. So many questions at QB, but none can be answered. Only Whiz knows what’s going on. Could he be anymore enigmatic?

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Judy –

I don’t know. My point was just that Fitz says he doesn’t have an opinion, but he’s like anyone else — he does. Whether he ever says anything to us is a different story. But no one believes he’s got no thought on the matter.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

Honestly, I didn’t see a lot of the second half. The story of the game was Leinart/Anderson, so once Leinart left, I was busy putting that together.

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

I’m not sure what direction he will go at QB.

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

We’ll miss –

Hold on there. We don’t know he is griping to Carter. And Carter and his brother are his friends. Don’t say you have never vented about your job to friends and family.

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Chris B –

Usually, a team keeps nine defensive backs total. Five safeties means four CBs.

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

I am not worried about OLine depth. They could keep both Lutui and Wells. You keep nine guys usually — what about the starters, plus Hadnot, Bridges, Deuce, Herman?

46. By CZarr on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Well, since it doesn’t appear you are taking the day off I have a question. Throughout camp and at the sidelines, can you comment on who appears to have more chemistry with the team between DA and ML? Some people have brought up that sideline interview where Dockett was being a goofball behind Leinart, and there is the “Matt Leinart Left Hanging” video on YouTube where Beanie just ignores him while Matt tries to congratulate him on a TD run.

Fans don’t get to see much other than what the media is putting out there. I figure you have a better perspective.

47. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

aaaaudio –

Who knows now? 50-50?

48. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Any guesses on the 5 players that have to be cut?

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

I don’t know for sure. I felt Hightower, talking to him after the game yesterday, was behind Leinart. That isn’t to say Tim is anti-DA. Again, the other guys just want to win.

50. By Brad ONeill on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

i think people are forgetting that matts arm is at least as good as warners was last year. His arm may not be a cannon but its not like he cant throw. Last year we had very few long pass plays. yes matt has kept it tight to the vest in the preseason but he has shown the ability to beat defenses with the long pass.

this may just be playing possum. i also don’t think its healthy to spread rumors about rather larry likes or doesn’t like matt. Larry is a professional i would love to have seen him support matt earlier but now he cant get involved.

51. By BluePitt on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Leinart would have had 14 points for our O, if the refs would have made the corrrrect call on the Wells fumble!

52. By cjcards on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

dude i hate banned wagon fans when the say any of are QBS are better then the other thehy both suck matt didnt do when he first came in adn hes not goin do it now and DA throws to hard and to high so it expose are players

53. By cardsfan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

i think are team did very good i jus go with the coach cause if he thinks matt cant do then he just cant do it because we havent been at every partice to say who to start over who and can we really win when some on can throw when blitz are not coming or only 5 yard pass really not knocking anyone but we all have to wait and see

54. By mike b on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

would it be good guess to predict the cuts Knips, Moosman, Broughton, Gant ot Mougey (both are in the same boat, if they make it they will miss games one with suspention the other with injury) and Jefferson or Ford? I actually think we will keep OJ on P.S and Mougey as well if Komar goes on P.S he will be picked up by another team. speacking of P.S I think thats where Baggs will end up after O’Brien gets back.

55. By mike b on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Wait I think Byrd will be the fourth Its kinda up in the air for the fitfh cut…

56. By Tucsonaaron on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Do you think there is a real chance we keep all 4 QBs at this point? You gotta like what you see from all of them so far.

57. By jake on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall looked really good, he was throwing tight spirals that were accurate, and he was making very good decisions.

58. By Bill L on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

If Whiz chooses DA over ML, which I think he WANTS to do, maybe he can trade ML for Quinn and start Clev West. Williams made an amazing catch from DA, but on Rivas island or any country like it…..IT would have been a pick 6. Also DA showed his disposition to overthrows, which equal INTs half the time. DA has a rifle, but the sights are out of alignment. If one gets facinated by the rifle, you will eventually pay the price. To me it is NO CONTEST, especially with a team wanting a balanced attack. Unfortunately, I believe it is personal with Whiz, and unless calmer heads prevail, Matt will be moving on…….Denver would be nice…..Quinn or no Quinn.

59. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStands –

I love how you’ve stayed with this, btw.

Guesses would be just guesses. But I would guess Schofield will be moved to the 6-week PUP list, Mougey will be waived/injured. They’ve got to decide what they will do with Hayes. PUP? Moosman, Knips are possible. Ford maybe.

60. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Tucsonaaron –

I think they have very difficult decisions to make at QB. Four is possible, but even that has consequences.

61. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Bill L –

No way Quinn will be here. Quinn isn’t NFL quality in my opinion.

62. By Aaron on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any guess of when the “starter” will be announced for Thursdays game? I know Whiz broke the news about last nights game on Thursday, so wondering if something might be expected on Tuesday…

I for one still think DA, given some more time with the ones and a bit more one-on-one coaching instead of sharing that load with Leinart, is the better QB. But I’d rather just air back and wait for Whiz to announce his next move personally…

63. By Stuart on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

So we all want to know Darren, say if you were the coach and had to make the decision on who would be are starting QB right know. Of course taking in all that you have seen with OTA’s, Training Camp, and Preseason, then of course Stat’s. Who would you name as the starter? Not trying to stir anything up just curious on your opinion.

So what would it be Matt, Derrick, John, or Max?

Thanks as alway’s brotha.

64. By Brad ONeill on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren nice work on the pregame show,

It is interesting to me how much love coach has shown towards max hall. I think halls style is very similar to how lienart played out of college. I think 4 years of coaching has taken matt from cocky ball flinger too a disciplined quarterback that will win games with his methodical picking apart of the defense. there is a lot being said about matt going to the check down too fast but with a line that was crumbling around him you can’t really blame him.

he finally got a little protection and it looks to have paid off. ill take 5 yard dink and dunks with very few interceptions and the occasional 30 yard chuck to keep defenses honest.

i would be comfortable with matt starting and max backing him up. but skelton isn’t quite there yet. so i am not ready to turn derek anderson loose.

if its my team matt gets the first 5 games. backed up by Anderson, then hall, and skelton is on practice squad. i dont think we can afford 4 quarterbacks on the 53 man roster. we need the spot for someone that will contribute this year.

as i understand the suspension rules gant wont count against us until his suspension is up. so you might as well leave him there even though as of right now he would not make the cut.

komar has to make this team. every time he gets an opportunity he looks great.

65. By trigidy22 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren u know me an im not a fan of Leinart!! But if he is not the starter week 1 vs Rams I will be shocked.. DA played well but I dont see him being a saver like Warner an not a upgrade from Leinartt!! Matt has controled the ball well an took care of it. He just needs to take more shots down the field an not BOMBS!! I liked how matt tried to scramble to buy more time! an got the ball out quick at times I think matt just need to get his rythem back 5step drop throw 7step drop throw .Let are (WR) go get it an just have Matt throw it to that spot! He thinks too much at times an its too late are WR”s are already done with there Routes. An now we are playing a Street Pickup game. I think him on the bench for so long his game has changed so much! he used to be a GUNSLINGER!( WERE IS MATT’S MOJO?) does Wiz got it?

66. By Rick on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I am a bit confused… Wasn’t Warners arm strength an issue last year that he couldn’t throw downfield??? I recall Joe Montana not exactly throwing the ball 60 yards in the air to “stretch the field” yet John Taylor, Jerry Rice, and Terrell Owens on a lot of 5 and 6 yard passes that those guys mad a TON of YAC!!! I am not saying that ML is Joe Montana but being a novice I am a little confused as to what Whis is looking for?? ML has a high completion percentage and protects the ball, isn’t that what Whis has said he expects from his team for the past 4 years? As a long time Cards fan and season ticket holder I am offically confused as to what the coaching staff is trying to develop (I know they want wins) but shouldn’t ML get his chance to be the QB for the coming years? I don’t want DA this year and then someone else next year and then possibly someone else the year after that and with a Lockout looming Hall and Skelton are going to lose a years worth of development next season!!

67. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Aaron –

I’d expect something Tuesday. But who knows, maybe he says something Monday.

68. By mike b on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

darren-
    two questions for you
    1) how many players do we have currently on the roster (80 right?)
    2) from my post above would you guess that the five cuts will be Byrd, Knips, Moosman, Broughton, and Smith? (thats my guess)

69. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

Look, I don’t break down film. I watch the practices, but I don’t know where the receivers are supposed to be, where the protection should be. I assumed, the way camp went, that Leinart would be the guy because I didn’t see anything in camp that dramatically changed anything for me. That said, I get why Whiz might want to look elsewhere.

Hall and Skelton never were and shouldn’t be an option. Neither is ready.

70. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

1) Correct.
    2) Boughton will probably be put on IR, but they will probably sign a FB to replace him, so that’s a wash. Smith stays for the last preseason game. Knips and Moosman are possible. Schofield will go to PUP. Mougey will probably be put on IR.

71. By Rick on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Sorry the many posts but I was just looking at an ML/DA comparison based on Whis saying he wanted 1st Downs. I won’t swear this to be exact but it is probably pretty close:

ML – Played a total of 9 series in 3 games and has 9 1st downs. He has played ONLY against the number 1 defense in the the first 2 games.

DA – Played a total of 13 series in 3 games and has 21 1st downs (1 by way of penalty) with 2 series ending in INT’s. And in the first game played against the 2nd string defense which is where he had 10 1st downs (against Hou)

Don’t know if this says anything but I find it interesting. Does Whis want a QB that takes high risk/medium reward OR medium risk/high reward, if we think ML takes medium risks. High reward to me is NOT turning the ball over.

72. By Stuart on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Like I said just curious what your opinion was. So when is Whiz planning on releasing the depth chart for the Game against the redskins? Might Fitz be a possability on getting some reps in? And one last question for now I thought you were taking the day off? LOL

73. By Bone on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Rick,

None of that matters. Only “leadership” and “chemistry” matter, and there are no stats for that. In fact, no one has even been given the criteria for how those things are judged. Whiz will probably cut Leinart, a 1st round pick, with only 6 total starts in this offensive system. Look how long, and how many systems Alex Smith had to prove himself. Smith is poised to break-out this year, while Leinart is being bashed from all sides for lacking some intangible quality and being smart and accurate with his throws.

74. By Bill L on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Quinn comment was meant to be sarcastic. But, I would love to see Matt in Denver if Whiz does not want him. Good fit for Matt and IMO good fit for Denver.

75. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Stuart -

“Off” is relative.

The depth chart will come out with the press released, which will come no later than tomorrow. But a lot of the time, the official depth chart tends to lag behind real life.

76. By CMacyn on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren- I have been watching the Hard Knocks for the jets and They have a great battle going on at FB, Do you see us looking for who gets cut seeing as there are not many good FBs out there?

77. By moe on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

darren could you see the cards going for antonio bryant or lavernus coles it would definatley help with all the injurys

78. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

Maybe. Not sure.

79. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Moe –

Bryant is hurt. Coles, I think, is done. They don’t need receivers.

80. By darrel on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren. Hightower looks like he shed about 8 pounds he looks a lot faster whats your take on this ?

81. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

I think Hightower is in good shape. I don’t know if he had to lose any weight, but he works his rear off.

82. By Judy on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Thank you very much for ignoring my post.

83. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Judy –

Ignore in what way? What exactly do you want me to say?

84. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Brad O’ Neill, matt never had a sronger arm than kurt EVER!!!! Matt has a very questionable arm and kurt could make any throw on the field. I’m looking at the game replay on nfl network and both qbs played well. I got on leinart the other day, but he played well, DA also played well, so I think he deserves to start against the rams because he didn’t hurt himself and put on a good performance. Maybe Whiz and the cards were showing off leinart for a possible trade hmmmmmm? Hightower looked real good running the ball and fast. Beanie didn’t have his best game, but that’s why hightower starts, he’s better at the little things than beanie like blitz pickup, catching the football, even though beanie has improved in both and unfortunately beanie didn’t have a good game running the ball. That wasn’t a fumble though, clearly his knee was down before the ball was coming out. He had control of the ball when his knee went down. Also, all you ”leinart would have had 2 td drives fans”, should’ve, could’ve, would’ve, how do yall know that, are yall nostradamus! I hate to see broughton go down with an torn acl, but i’ve been watching hard knocks and the jets have 3 good fullbacks and one, probably two will get cut and we can get one. Reagan did look like juggernaut in the game. Both stephens clowned on the bears, komar is a good player, and looks a little like welker. O-Line played better in the running game and the passing game. Defense looked great, haggans beat omiyale like a drum and joey and calais beat chris williams repeatedly. Haggans got a 1.5 sacks, dockett got 0.5 sack, calais had a sack and gabe picked up a sack. Defense looked dominant and the secondary had a great game. Toler with a INT, turning his head(Bryant McFadden smh), he deserves to start opposite DRC, speaking of DRC, swooping in for a pick too. We have a nice secondary if toler can perform consistently and if we can pick up a cb off waivers hopefully that’s any good. DA should be the starter along with Toler and maybe even Washington, why not?

85. By darren on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Anderson 46 touchdowns, 45 interceptions.Leinart 14 touchdowns and 20 interecptions. Yet you guys call Anderson the inteception machine, interesting. I don’t care who starts for the Cards as long as the team is successful, as I root for the Cardinals and not the name on the back of the jersey. I just don’t understand why all the Anderson bashing and Leinart love. Let’s be real, neither of these guys has showed anything to suggest they are the long-term answer for the Cardinals at QB, but imo Anderson gives you the best chance to win this season. One other point. I understand Leinart has copleted 19-23 passes, how many of those passes traveled over 10 yards in the air, if you throw everything short, I would hope you have a high completion %, and also become easy to defend.

86. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    What’s up with byrd?

87. By Logan Cooper on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Judy,
    Your post consisted of statements..
    Usually, to get an answer you have to ask a question.

88. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Trust Whiz man, their are so many band wagon fans on here, he’ll make a good, solid decision.

89. By ChrisH479 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I just watched the post game presser of Whiz. I don’t know if it’s just me but he seemed a little biased towards Anderson…

90. By Bill L on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

NFL TV just said, unanamously, that if Whiz chooses DA…….then ML MUST BE MOVED IMMEDIATELY…..for the good of the team. I believe through all of Whiz’s BS and innuendos that DA has already been chosen. I hope ML is traded to the Broncos. They were willing to pay a fortune to a guy who sat behind Matt at USC…….Orton is not the GUY and has one year left on his contract……Quinn is NOT a NFL starting QB and never will be, except at Clev ahead of DA(joke/Jab)…..Tebow has years to go, if ever. Matt would give them, even in Whiz’s limited view, a starting QB…………anyway I like Denver and Matt. It would be nice to put them together on a team that is probably 1 or 2 years away from challenging SD.

91. By jengland on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Leinart fan since he was at USC. Whiz is attempting to ruin a franchise quarterback and I don’t know why. Leinart was better than Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez and Matt Castle sat on the bench behind ML. I think Whiz just doesn’t like him and should trade him. Then Leinart will come back and make Whiz regret. Your coach is TERRIBLE.

92. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E –

Just not what they are looking for, I guess.

93. By Booey on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Thank you very much for ignoring Judy’s post.

94. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Jengland –

Sorry, but when you come right out and admit the bias, your conclusions tend to be tainted.

95. By jengland on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

the bias is based on facts. I have seen this kind of handling of QBs in the past. What Leinart needs is a Holmgren or Gruden as a coach. Someone who believes in him and will coach him. Whiz has totally mishandled this.

96. By Logan Cooper on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I trust whiz, but there is an very obvious favoring of DA that everyone can see.
    I like ML and I think he will be a great NFL QB but his being so conservative drives me crazy.. I also like DA, but his inconsistency drives me crazy.

Whiz has a clustercuss going on, his decision is a very hard one. I hope its the right one regardless of the QB behind center.

97. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Jengland –

The thing is, it’s not based on facts. The facts that could prove your point can only happen if Leinart goes on and is successful elsewhere in the NFL if he doesn’t do it here. Leinart’s success in college means nothing. It didn’t help Joey Harrington or Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf or Gino Toretta or any of those guys. And let’s face it, generally, the impact factor for many of those USC stars when it comes to the NFL is less than overwhelming. I could make the case the facts support that outcome with Leinart more than him emerging as a star.

All that said, I once believed Leinart had the ability to be a good NFL QB. We’ll see if he gets another chance here.

98. By Brad ONeill on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

eazye- go back and look at our pass game last year. Warner was unable to make long passes because of his injury. most of our passing was of the short to mid range variety. I am not saying matt is better than warner i am just saying the long bomb isn’t crucial to success. besides matt actually can throw the ball down the field he just hasn’t this pre season. no one is claiming he is John elway. i am just saying look at how we have won in the past.

99. By Barry Bond on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

First of all I want to say I had faith in Tim Hightower the day he was drafted by the Cardinals out of Richmond U. and I read how he appreciated so much to have the opportunity to play in the NFL thanks to the Cardinals. Tim had a good game in Chicago last night. But my favorite was the run in last years division play off game against the Saints for about a 70 yard TD and an 7-0 lead and I thought yes, we CAN return to the super bowl, but? Also his TD run against the Eagles in the NFC Championship win that sent us to the super bowl. Great job Tim. Now on to the quarterbacks. We have 4 so 1 has to be traded or cut? I say we must keep Max Hall. So who goes Leinart, Anderson, or Skelton? Also keep in mind we must have to have a quarterback that can get the deep ball to Larry Fitzgerald???

100. By MikeG on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,–Nice Blogs!! I think both QB’S played pretty well the other night. Nice to see Toler with a
    pick and play pretty solid last night. Just ashame with Broughten–I hate to see big injuries in pre-season. Sterphen Williams continues to impress-surprise of camp. Also –Gabe Watson played pretty well! I just can’t believe some fans on this blog can diss Whiz– he is a super coach!!! He has bought stability to this organization–4 playoff wins the last 2 years!! How anyone can complain is beyond me???? People just don’t know ball!!!!

101. By Logan Cooper on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Eazy-E,
    I gotta disagree with you on the starting QB. The rest of your projected starters I agree with. Look at the film on DA when he didn’t have a pro bowl season. Horrific, I know DB’s are supposed to have short term memories but I am afraid that coaches cannot afford to have them.
    ML’s numbers are strides ahead of DA’s and last night he really looked good. You can’t even bring up the lack of first downs my ML when your receivers stop a yard short of the markers.

What would you rather have, check downs or a ball thrown into double and triple coverage.

If DA does start, i hope he does well. What we can consistently count on from him if he does start, is inconsistency.

102. By Bill L on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is destroying the Cards for personal reasons. It is obvious he does not like ML…..now darren is getting sucked in…….I’d say Palmer is pretty good, much better than DA…..how many teams were willing to pay Cassel MILLIONS……poor stupid people……and your man’s man was benched for Quinn …….QUIN!!!!!……but, you appear to be a shop guy…..and will praise DA when he is picked……TAKE A STAND……DA or MATT………or is that too un-PC. To me NO CONTEST…….MATT!!!!!…….I guess you will wait….right?

103. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Bill L –

Why do I need to take a stand? Because you dared me too? How seventh-grade of you.

I have written a few times I expected Leinart to be the starter. I would have done that. But I get why there was a move to Anderson. It’s funny — everyone wants to throw Whiz under the bus. Explain then, why Leinart had his best game after Whiz made the move? I know this: The coaching staff is with these players every day. They see and break down a hell of a lot more than any of us. Yet there is still a belief he’s the idiot and an outsider knows better. I don’t get that logic.

104. By Logan Cooper on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Bill,
    You are a troll. Get out of here with your bandwagon nonsense.

105. By Alex on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I was curious what you think the regular season TE situation will look like once Patrick is back. Spach has looked good and keeps getting the start. He is catching the balls and blocking well, do you think they’ll just take the starting job (that he has right now) away as soon as Patrick gets back or what are your thoughts?

106. By Patrick on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I doubt Whisenhunt will start DA over ML, DA hasn’t done enough to prove to Whiz that he’s worthy of the starters position. ML waited patiently for 4 years behind Kurt Warner, has shown more maturity on and off the field. He has come a long way from his hot tub college days. I think Whisenhunt is trying to intimidate ML by starting DA over him. This move is nothing more than a message to ML that if he doesn’t produce, he will not hesitate to bench him. Whisenhunt’s philosophy is to create depth at all positions on the field. In turn that creates competition where starters have to play their hardest to keep their jobs. Many high profiled profession athletes know their job is secured because nobody is going to compete with them, and they sometimes slack off, and the team struggles. If every player had someone who they felt threatend the entire team would be more motivated to play better. DA is nothing more than a motivator to help ML play better. Just look at Saturday’s game Whis gave ML quite a scare and he performed well.

107. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

Great question. I think they liked what Ben was doing before he got hurt. Patrick eventually got back to the lineup last year even with his suspension. I think there is a good chance the two main tight ends will be Patrick and Spach. And they will use two TEs a lot I think.

108. By Nick613 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Bill it’s called a comma.

109. By BigRedFan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

PEOPLE! PEOPLE! PEOPLE!!

Here’s the deal . . . .

Whiz has done this before with Leinart/Warner.

Remember switching Warner in as the “no-huddle specialist”????

Remember the QB battle two years ago???

And he did not make a final decision on that until game 1.

It all worked out pretty ok, I guess. :)

Trust the coach.

110. By Brad ONeill on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

whiz is a great coach no doubt about that. but that doesn’t mean people can’t question him. He may be handling this situation completely different than it appears in public. to me it looks like he is leaving matt dangling in the wind not giving him clear objectives and definitely not offering any emotional support.

now this is a man’s game and emotional support may not be what is called for but different people respond to different things and a coaches job is too get the most he can get out of his team. he may think matt has been handed things his whole life, or he may be jealous that matts had it so easy when he worked so hard for his career. he may actually love the hell out of matt but wants to push him out of his shell.

we just don’t know but you can’t argue with the results so far.

111. By darrel on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren. Would the cardinals be interesterd in fullback brad hoover and I hear tony richardson from the jets might get cut as well any interest an any of these players

112. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Wow. I thought Matt earned the job. Having just read Somers article, I am now equally convinced Matt is history. I trust Whiz. Besides, we got no choice. But Max’ play has changed the equation, no doubt. Its not knowable what Whiz sees in Matt’s eyes, and that’s the bottom line. Guess we’ll just have to wait…dang…

PS: My guess is Urb’s raising the question of Matt’s departure is another hint of what he and Kent have seem between them on the practice field or in the clubhouse…c ya Matty.

Go Cards. Giddyup.

113. By TBru on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

all this criticism of Wiz, he pulled some strings, rattled some cages the team responded and both QB’s had their best game of the preseason. Wiz did his job.

114. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Brad (and everyone) –

I have no problem with people questioning Whiz. None. But there is a line you cross when you leave rational thought at the door. Backing one decision or another, whether it is pro-Leinart or anti-Leinart or whatever, is fine. But to completely trash the other side of the argument, when there is no basis to be so cocky, for lack of a better term, is out of bounds for me.

115. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

Possibly. I haven’t heard of anything yet.

116. By cody on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, not sure if youve answered this question before, but could the Cardinals possibly trade for Tony Richardson from the Jets, or if he gets released, could they pick him up? i heard that Broughtons done for the season, and i dont think Mauia will help much.

117. By Aaron on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren – with the FB injury, do you see any chance of Byrd getting worked back in as a FB like they were playing with at the beginning of camp? Might help prevent the need to look outside the current roster, although I don’t remember reading anything about how well he did when they were testing that…

During a Cards recap at halftime of the Steelers-Brooncos game just now they showed how each QB reacted after their TD. DA chest-bumped some olineman and ran down the field with the other guys. ML walked off to the sideline and threw up both arms pointing at the sky. I’m not saying wither reaction is better than the other, but it was interesting to see DA be “a part” of the rest of the celebration…

118. By AndyM on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Guys (and Gals), trust Whiz. All these superficial statistical analyses based on DA and ML playing parts of three preseason games; are you kidding? As Darren says, the coaching staff has a lot more information than we are privvy to with which to make the best educated decision possible about who will start. There is nothing to say that whatever that decision might be will be set in stone for the next game, much less into the season. I know that QB controversies are like raw meat for us fans, but let the coach get the best out of the material he has. Jeez, one week everyone is bashing ML and now he is the second coming. Just like when ML was the franchise QB and KW was a fragile, over-aggressive washed up player, then KW was cannonized and ML was “irrelevant”. Some of you guys must have rug burns from jumping on and off the bandwagon so many times.

119. By Brad ONeill on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Oh come on i’m not that cocky. i just like presenting arguments and theories to generate ideas not to say they are any better than anyone elses ideas.

120. By Jason on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

everyone needs to just take a breath and calm down for a second, its preseason whiz is a smart guy.. he knows what he is doing stop doubting him. he’s the best thing that’s happenend to us in a long time, he turned around this franchise. As I said before he knows what he is doing just trust him!

IN WHIZ WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

121. By card62 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

My thoughts on Cardinals so far in 2010.

First my question to Darren and all Cardinal fans. What is wrong with our offensive line? I was so excited to see our line this year dominate and my opinion is they have been dominated. Like RB I do not think it matters who starts at QB (I want Leinart) with our line both will play and one or both will spend time in the hospital. Grimm is a hall of fame player but he needs to show me something coaching our OL. I think our poor OL play is the story of our team so far and not QB. Tim had two nice runs but the safety missed him both times and it was all Tim. Faneca and Brown have been very disappointing and Lyle S. has always disappointed me.
    Punt return and kick return teams verses Bears – Yuck!
    I love coach Whiz and want him to be our coach for years, but I do not like the way he has handled Leinart this year.
    Beanie did not fumble but with his record he needs to hold on to the ball and he did not seem to care.
    Defense is still not getting consistant pressure on the QB. Sack or we give QB all day. Still waiting on our OLB and young pups to show us something. Still confident in them…
    Stephen Williams wow wow wow. Our 3rd receiver
    Max K. makes the team wow
    Cards keep Roberts for pride and potential and Cards can wait on him next year thanks to Williams and Komar.
    2010 will be a very interesting year with a lot of close games for our Cardinals.
    Go Cards beat 49ers.

122. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Cody –

Again, we will see. I don’t see the need to trade for a fullback.

123. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Aaron –

Byrd probably isn’t the first option.

I wouldn’t overanalyze TD celebrations, to be honest.

124. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Brad –

To be honest, you’re not who I’m talking about.

125. By BigRedFan on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

If I have learned anything about Whiz the past few years is that he has a method.

He lets the best player get the job. Regardless.

If Matt is not the starter, I have to believe there must be somthing there that he sees.

On the field.

In the locker room.

Something.

On another note, I am thrilled at the defensive play this season. It looks like we may start gettting recognition as a very dominant Defense.

In my opinion, the players we have added fit teh system very well and will contribute immediately.

126. By jdcrow59 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

I hope that I am dead wrong but, if D.A. is the answer. How do the Cards repeat in the west is not the question..

127. By Eazy E on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Brad ONeill-
    I agree with the first part of your post because it was disclosed later in the season that he had an arm injury but not with the matt down field throwing. Look at the Stephen Williams deep ball against tennessee and I know it’s just one pass, but that was awful.
    Logan Cooper-
    DA had his weapons taking away from him(Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Jurevicius), and they had NO weapons. You can’t expect any qb to succeed with NO weapons.

128. By Brad ONeill on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

big red- I am not interested in the defense getting recognition but i would sure love to see them make a few stops on 3rd down. i think this group has the potential to be really special. but they are still giving up those 3rd and long plays that are killers.

darren- ok good to hear. i will keep smiling and spouting my random theories in that case.

129. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Good job QB Matt L way to step up. We expect nothing less. Matt L should have had 2 TD drives, RB B Wells needs to wrap the ball up in both arms in traffic. I noticed RB Tim H doing that and running between the tackles better.

The OL got beat on several running plays. But when the OL did block properly the Cards easily moved the ball. The Offense has had opportunities, they need to be more consistant with time of possesion, the Defense played most of the 1st quarter.

The Defense played great with sacks, interceptions and solid tackling as a group.

Special teams can’t seem to block on return teams, on the Punt team the Cards place the ball inside the 20 great job P Ben G. K J Feely got some leg into some KO’s.

Just some observations.

130. By trigidy22 on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren do u think we can have Wiz call Norm Chow an have a sit down talk with Leinart?? Last i remember USC had a tough time with Leinart in 2003 if not for the NORM CHOW talk?????? But maybe Wiz is onto something with Leinart going 9-10 for 74yrds an a td!! lol maybe Leinart can be are number2 but get most of the work like Wells-Hightower?

131. By ken cadena on Aug 29, 2010 | Reply

Its funny how all the stat fans hop on the band wagon over Matt, but what everyone doesnt understand is that Whiz keeps talking about team chemistry. Its clear they react differently and the team responds diferently. I say this’ Let Matt Start and prove once and for all to all the Matty lovers he is a backup at best. he is not a leader and does not command presence upon his team. The team does not respect him for whatever reason. Its abad situation for Matt. He should move on to another team. and get a fresh start. I think Whiz knows it and is being political about it.

132. By trigidy22 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren can we ignore judys post more offen?? .she is funny she dont even know how 2 ask a question..lol

133. By Skiptim on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Things have gotten a little tense here between Darren and a few people. Let’s calm things down a bit. I’ll start.

Darren, would you like some refrigerated tortilla chips?

134. By Tyrelle on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Mr Urban

Is Dockett mad about anything? He tweeted something the other day. Meanwhile, we have a Baton Rouge product in Jorrick Calvin, and I hope he makes the team. Has he been doing good to impress coaches?

My take on the QB situation, is that I don’t care who start. I just want to win.

135. By Carddan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

The manner in which Coach has handled the QB position is certainly outside the norm. To start DA at this point would be one of the boldest and riskiest moves I have seen a coach make. It makes me wonder how much is going on behind the scenes with the rest of the team or off the field. It looks to me as if Leinart should be the starter, hands down. If Coach goes in a different direction I trust him to know more than I do. I just wonder what it is.

136. By TucsonTim on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Over 100 posts! Wow, I remember when you were lucky to get a dozen or so. Good to see the interest. Whiz is going to make the right decision at QB, so let’s just sit back and watch.

Before the game Darren you said that you thought the O-line would be further along at this point. Considering how important the running game will be this year, couldn’t agree with you more. Where do you see them now.

137. By Peter in Canada on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

The questioning of Whiz’s intelligence and showing favouritism is laughable. He has taken a once sad organization which was the elephant’s graveyard of football to the Super Bowl and four playoff wins.
    Admittedly he had help. I am sure that he and Warner had very different philosophies on how to run an offence. Would u agree with that statement Darren?
    He was able to put aside his feelings in order to fully utilize Warner’s talents. Now that he doesn’t have a QB of Warner’s talents he has to change the offence. Could any person of reason see ML or DA doing what Warner did in those four playoff wins? Change takes time and people being impatient think it should be done overnight.

138. By Wampag on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey D I am hearing that the CARDS are quietly shopping ML you know anything?

139. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

Not sure that would be appealing for either Whiz or Chow.

140. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim –

Not sure that would help, but hey, I appreciate the offer.

141. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

Dockett tweets a lot of things. Not sure what you are referring to.

As for Calvin, he’s got a chance.

142. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

Nothing like a QB controversy to generate comments, huh?

I think the O-line looked much better against the Bears. I still think they need a little more time.

143. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

That’s the rumor. If Leinart isn’t the guy, I don’t see how he sticks around.

144. By Rick on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I think trading Leinart creates even BIGGER issues… do we really want DA backed up by Hall and Skelton??? Except for 2007 DA has been pulled every year due to ineffectiveness and I really don’t want this year to be a “year of development” especially considering 2011 is in danger of a lockout… The only way trading ML makes sense is if we can get an experienced QB in place to challenge DA or at least be a competent backup.
    Darren – Any ideas which other QB’s the Cards may have interest in?

145. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Rick –

If Leinart is dealt, I think they go with Hall. Who else is there? And again, that’s the inherent problem with Leinart not starting — I think you may lose him if you tell him to be a backup again.

146. By Tyrelle on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

The one where he said hes going to have a frik it attitude.

147. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

Hmm. Didn’t see that.

148. By Wampag on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

thanks D anyway we get a CB for him? I know a lot of teams need a QB but honestly I cant think of where he would go Carroll all ready got white hurst…any ideas?

149. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

If something happened, I’d expect it’d be for a draft pick.

150. By TMS on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

TMS

Forget about the bogus chemistry issues, I’ve seen Fitz hanging out with Leinert off the field and they seem to have a strong bond. Fitz also likes ML’s ability to throw down field far better than Warner’s.

I would also say that Hightower is decisively on ML’s team. More importantly, whom do you think Duce would rather block for, his friend and USC teammate ML or DA? You don’t think Duce will put out more of an effort for Leinert?

Personally, I do not care what Wiz’s personal feelings are about Leinert or Anderson. However, let’s stop giving Leinert “tests” like having an easy 3rd and 1 in the opposition’s territory and making Matt throw a long downfield pass to a second stringer. We saw this 2 games ago. It was not only an absurd call, but a drive killer for ML and the Cardinals.

Bottom line, here are three good reasons why Leinert should start.

1. ML has more talent and better stats than DA.

2. The Cardinals season tickets were far from being sold out until they drafted Leinert. Two weeks after drafting ML, they were sold out. How many ticket holders would loose faith in Wiz and turn their tickets back if DA started and bombed this season? Bunches I would guess.

3. Leinert stayed at USC after winning the Heisman Trophy because he was a leader and he wanted to win a national championship for USC. You ask about dedication and sacrafice? How does giving up a guaranteed ten million dollars a year as the 1st player picked in the NFL draft strike you?

So Leinert has a laided back California personality, not a rah-rah personality like Wiz’s. So what? What separates the great NFL coaches from the good ones is their ability to motivate everyone and to get the best out of all of the players, not just the one’s you like the best.

Wiz appears to be a smart guy. I think he will make the wise decision and start Leinert in the regular season.

151. By Treyan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hall is the future of this team. He would have gotten into the end zone had they not stopped him.

152. By Ray Koshy on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Hello,

I am leaf artist from Galveston, Texas. I create different birds (Cardinals, Ducks, egret, eagles, parrots, peacocks, swans etc) with rice straw and a leaf. This is a very ancient form of art. This leaf art uses only natural substances like different shades of rice straw, gum arabic ( sap from a tree) as glue, sharp stone to flatten and cut the leaves etc. I am attaching a few photos of my leaf art of birds. I am willing to give one piece of my art CARDINALS to your readers of your choice as a gift. I have several of my leaf art for sale at my etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/museumshop Please let your readers know about this avian CARDINAL art. Thanks,

Sincerely,