After practice, No QB decision yet

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2010 – 1:15 pm

The Cards just had their first practice back after coming home from Chicago. No, coach Ken Whisenhunt did not announce a starting quarterback yet. He said both will play in the preseason finale against Washington “unless something changes” (and no, that isn’t some hint to a trade or something). Whiz has no timeline on his announcement and said that a few times. Whiz also reiterated that the offense wasn’t playing well in the first two games of the preseason and he changed things up to see what would happen. Obviously, something worked.

Matt Leinart said after practice “I really want an explanation” for the situation, but acknowledged he has yet to approach Whiz to discuss the subject.Leinart also said he has “outplayed the competition” in camp. Derek Anderson, meanwhile, continues to be low-key in talking about the situation. I will have a bigger story in a bit.

In other news:

– Whiz did say it is “always dicey” to have a rookie as a backup, should something happen and the Cards decide to move one of their veterans. But he did say both Max Hall and John Skelton have impressed him and he feels more comfortable about such a possibility than he did before camp.

– TE Ben Patrick (knee) was back at practice, slowly getting back into the groove. WR Andre Roberts (shoulder) remains out, while RBs Jason Wright (toe) and LaRod Stephens-Howling (concussion) were out. Both aren’t expected to be long-term injuries; the Hyphen rode a bike yesterday and did OK and was getting further tests today.

– WR Larry Fitzgerald is wearing a smaller knee brace but he will not play Thursday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

142 Responses to “After practice, No QB decision yet”

1. By Joe-B on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Is that why LaRod didn’t get many carries against the Bears?

2. By Eddie Tomko on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

You know I have been defending matt for awhile, but for him to say he has outplayed his competition I don’t agree with that. What did you think when hearing the darren

3. By BigRedFan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Quite a difference from Kurt, who never once questioned the coach, just said he would play his best and trust the coach put the best player out there.

Never did he say “I outplayed Leinart”.

Never did he “demand an explanation”

Just played his best and kept his mouth shut.

Kinda like D.A. . . .

4. By Chad on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

With the talk of possibly cutting a veteran QB in favor of keeping 2 rookies (don’t think they will cut any personally), what is Leinart’s cap hit this year and next year? What is Anderson’s?

And if Leinart and Anderson finish out their contacts through 2011 season, with Whis is so high on the rookies, will either of those guys be resigned to an extension? And if not, why not just “move” on now?

5. By Ozzy on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Matt,

I have been pulling for you on this one, but man up and walk into Whiz’s office and demand an explanation. Maybe that is what he is waiting for. You can’t demand an explanation from the media and then expect him to call you in to his office for that. Maybe now events are coming to light on why you may lose this job.

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Eddie —

Little surprised, to be honest.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Chad —

There is no cap this year so that’s a moot point.

I think the NFL is a year-to-year proposition. Let’s see if anyone can play before we worry about who the future will be.

9. By sean on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

well….if whiz wanted to get Leinart’s burner going…he seems to have done that, looks like he is really getting fired up, this should be fun the next week or so, as it is obvious Matt won’t go quietly…think this is something they wanted? to get him fired up? Or is it just a side affect of what ever their real plans are?

10. By David C. on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what does your gut tell you on the quarterback situation?

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

David C —

My gut says Anderson is in a real good place right now.

12. By 4ZERO on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

This situation seems to be getting uglier. I really would like to see Matt start. I am not sure if it is looking that way now. It’s hard to put a positive spin on this. I demand an explanation too.

13. By jack on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Whats going to happen when DA starts throwing interceptions and over throwing his recevers? Do think Whiz will have a short hook?

14. By Brad ONeill on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

i can’t believe matt hasn’t gone in and met with the coach. whiz has said since day one that he has an open door policy and if you lose your job and dont go see the coach something is wrong.

matt, man up get in there and ask him what he wants out of you!!!!

15. By Owen on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what is the situation with G. Hayes? Is he done for the season or do we know anything?
    Is that Washington is getting so much time at Inside linebacker?

16. By 98CardsFan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Starting DA would be a mistake, he couldn’t keep B Quinn on the sidelines. Even before the exodus of talent in Cleveland he couldn’t get the ball to his big play guys(B Edwards/K Winslow). Obviously Matt Leinart has a lot to prove, He may be a bust, me may not, but this is the time to prove it one way or another. I love what Whiz has done with this team/roster, but by all accounts whenever he talks about Matt I always get the sinking feeling he will stab him in the back. If he doesn’t believe in him then be done with it already!!! It’s time to fine tune for the season!!!

17. By Dylan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

anderson is scary do you not watch him throw.. if williams didn play amazy there would have been atleast 1 interception and if that defender didn let the ball bounce off his chest there would of been 2… what the hell do the coaches see in him.. leadership and interceptions just what we are looking for

18. By MikeV on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care who starts, as long as John Skelton and Max Hall are on the roster, because they look like the future to me.

19. By Jones from IL on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

One thing I like about both Matt and DA is their height – that has to be a good thing. Matt should know the Cardinals playbook extremely well – advantage Matt. Relating to his fellow players – seems like DA is more like one of the guys to me. Do players try harder for one QB over another? Can personality be that important – I’d say yes

20. By Valleyexpat on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I have liked every move Whiz has made since becoming the Cards coach. However, concerning Matt, I think he has spoken out of both sides of his mouth and that is unfair to Matt, the organization and the fans.

I have read so many quotes onthis forum that Matt has had so many years to prove himself and show that he is the man. Everyone forgets he was having success his first two seasons before Whiz showed up and decided he was not onboard with the Matt Rookie Development Project.

I understand the move to go with Warner, given his experience and time in the league, and that decision obvoiusly worked out for the better. But to do this again after singing his praises all offseason, ota’s, camp, and preseason up to the Bears game and then to pull the rug from under his feet after he has done all that Whiz has asked of him is garbage. I don’t know how anyone can succeed in this kind of environment where you never know where you stand.

I fully understand why Matt is feeling the way he is for these reasons and add to the fact the offensive misgivings went way beyond the play of the qb’s.

I mean if you say you will give someone a chance, then do so and allow that person to go out and do what they can. If it becomes obvious to all that he is not working out after half the season then you can go in any direction you please.

This process smacks of a witch hunt and I thought Whiz was above that and all about competing. I think this is no way to handle anyone and comes accross to me as you are playing silly mind games just beacuse you can.

I have nothing against playing DA if Matt is not the answer but going about it this way seems really disingenuous.

What do you think Darren?

21. By Joel L. on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m not sure how anyone can argue that Matt hasn’t outplayed Anderson in the preseason. The stats aren’t even close. I also am disappointed that Matt is choosing to air this out to the media without approaching the coach first. That is a weak move on his part. However, this team is going to greatly regret making Derek Anderson the starter.

22. By Ben on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update..

I cannot believe after 4 years of wanting to see what ML has, and investing all of the emotional changes with this team that we are two weeks away and coach is pulling him. I think is horrible how Whiz has handled this situation. The fans want to see what ML has, if we dump him for DA, who we all know istn any good, and ML goes to another team, i.e Seattle and does well for the next 10 years, I would be so PISSED. ML should start, period.

23. By Jeff on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Matt nailed it. This is clearly about something off the field and we all know what that is. The $12.5 million or so he is owed next year. This is a business decision that will cost the Cardinals a couple wins due to Anderson’s horrible accuracy.

24. By Jesse Robles on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

After looking back at the situation, I think that this was basically a one last shot for DA. I am not a psychic, but DA doesn’t know the Offense like Matt does, and I really do not see them keeping 4 QB’s. Anderson had more throws probably to see him work with the offense that he doesn’t know. Leinarts reaction is very unprofessional, I really can’t believe he said that. I do not see the Cards getting rid of their 5th round pick, or Max Hall, so it looks like DA is the ODD man out. I am excited to see O’Brien Schofield’s progress in the background the of the season, this guy could potentially be HUGE!!

25. By Bryan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Why didn’t we go after McNabb????!!!!

26. By k. on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

If Whiz starts D.A. I’m going to be sorely disappointed as D.A. has never been consistent and I don’t see that changing. I have watched D.A. since he came into the league as my wife is a Browns fan and he has proved himself as a backup at best. So… with that said as a fan of the Cards I am not looking forward to a season of senseless interceptions thrown because he will throw them trust me. Whiz talks about having the ability to make the throws while under fire that’s not D.A. if anything quite the opposite from all I’ve seen.

27. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see Hall and Skelton play the entire first-half and second-half respectively in the final preseason game.

Leinart’s, “I really want an explanation” comment “really” rubs me the wrong way. Leinart must think he’s been moving the offense well in the preseason, in which case, Whiz doesn’t owe him an explanation because Matt wouldn’t understand. Completing 90% of one’s checkdown passes does not necessarily lead to touchdowns.

Matt speaking out to the press like that, and even openly admitting he wasn’t a man about it by questioning Whiz personally about it in private says something about Matt’s maturity level. Seems like that sense of entitlement is coming back.

I’ve been really supportive of Matt, but his comments certainly shortened his string with me.

If this whole thing is a charade with Matt and Whiz (i.e. they both understand Matt is the starter but are bluffing to everyone), then Matt should get an Oscar next February.

28. By FightON on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know why anyone would be surprised that Matt has finally had it….coach and the franchise should have just cut him and been done with it. All this lukewarm yes and no, maybe stuff has virtually killed any trade value at all. So what, Matt didn’t work out here, but he should have been traded when he had some value years ago. Kurt did go to the press to make his claim about starting and what he was promised, quite loudly…so don’t act like Kurt didn’t do his own share of whining, he was just right. No loss to Matt or AZ if he’s cut, just end the freakin’ drama. No one looks good in this one.

29. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Who knows, maybe Matt is trying to give the team reason to trade him.

30. By aaaaudio on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like a trade is about to happen! Not sure if I am real comfortable with trading ML away but who knows maybe someone more experienced could come over? Darren you mentioned Payton Manning trading for Leinart and Max Hall? I swear you said that~! jk lol wishful thinking.

31. By Nikko on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Michael Lombardi is saying it’s the end of Leinart’s time in Arizona as a Cardinal & for sure won’t be the starter week 1, so what are your thoughts because that seems to be what it’s looking like right now?

32. By LMF on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren – I really feel that we will curse DA as much as we praise him. They guy was benched as a Brown (doesn’t that mean his career is over).

I guess Whiz feels he can coach him out of it be he hasn’t been amazing in preseason. I see Matt having more upside after having a chance to start a regular season game or two. What are your thoughts?

33. By Former Steeler Fan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

A couple of observations/comments/questions,

I don’t think that DA has outplayed ML to justify starting him over Matt against St. Louis.

I’ll be mystified if Whiz starts DA against the Rams.

Since Matt has been in the system for four years, why not give him an opportunity to shine or fail (at least against the Rams)? Then Whiz can bring in DA (and, he’ll be able to say “I told you so”).

And, Darren, how many nanoseconds will it take ML (or his agent) to ask for a trade after DA is named the starting QB?

34. By Help on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

will leinart be traded or just released, i think he’ll be traded for a 4th or 5th round pick seeing he’s not worth any more than that

35. By ChrisH479 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Well. If Whiz wanted to start a fire, he definitely got that. I don’t see how anyone could take this as a bad thing. 2 weeks ago, people were calling Matt out for being an emotional rock and under performing. Now, he seems motivated, fiery, and confident in what he can do for this organization. I think it’s good that he believes that he’s performed better. Do we really want a QB who thinks the other guy is doing a better job? No. We don’t. Matt will be the guy and he’ll get the job done. i have no doubts about him.

36. By Carddan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think it is likely that Michael B and Graves know what Coach is up to?

37. By Zapp Brannigan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Who do you think will get the starting job week 1 of the season? Or do you think that Leinart has the job but it is just Whiz being the Whiz.

I trust everything he does so I am sure he will pick who he feels is the better fit.

38. By Billy Thomas on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Is there any indication of who might start on Thursday and what that might mean to this QB battle? Also, when do you think Whisenhunt makes that final call on the QB? Maybe Friday?

39. By TIM on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

darren,

how is fitz’ rehab?
    is he back to running routes and does he appear to be ready to go come week 1?

40. By NorCal Cars Fan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I’m wondering what your thoughts on Jim Dray are? He seems to have good hands and has looked good (to me at least) in preseason games. Is he someone for us to get excited about this year as a viable receiving threat?

Thanks

41. By Dylan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

The picture of Matt on the front page.. says it all the dude just needs his confidence back.. his rookie year he threw down field a lot.. i think he has the fire in him and personally i think breaston did what he did for matt.. now lets go matt play like you can play and show everyone up

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Jack —

Depends on who the backup is.

43. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Owen —

Just updated Hayes’ situation. He’s not cleared yet.

44. By CrazyforAZ on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Come on now people, let’s not be hipocitical here. We get all over Matt’s case because he has no fire and now when he shows that fire we want to roast him over it? He should want and explanation and he should not be afraid to say he feels like he out performed the competition.

45. By NotSOfast on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I have figured out that I am a pretty big believer in ML. I think he could do a solid job if given the chance. The number of snaps between DA and ML don’t add up.
    THE Biggest issue I have is when ML said he has not talked to Coach Wiz. He should have maned up and talked to coach at least before he talks to the media. That is where I lost a little respect for ML. As for Wiz I don’t think he has done a great job with this issue. It should have been taken care of a little different.

46. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Valley —

I think I’m confused why Matt sounded like he was looking for an explanation Friday and here we are Monday and he still hasn’t tried to get one.

47. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Bryan —

I LOVE this topic. http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/03/25/you-cant-spell-donovan-without-n-o/

48. By Stuart on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

In my opinion I don’t think this is right, Whiz needs to give Lienart his fair chance. Anderson is only in a good spot right now in my opinion because he’s just sat thier smiling while Lienart has been getting screwed on his chance to prove himself by a person that should be guiding and coaching him. Here is a perfect senerio that coach should go by, give Leinart 4 games if we go 0-4, or 1-3 bench Matt and put in Derrick, if we go 4-0, or 3-1, keep Lienart starting and Anderson on the bench. Well if we go 2-2 that’s just a tuff one and I can’t even go off something like that.

The point is I know my rants and everything aren’t going to change or affect anything but Matt deserves his fair chance to play and start for this team and no matter which way you try to explain it what Whiz is doing as a coach to Matt is wrong and not true real coaching. Trust me I love Whiz and will alway’s say in ” In Whiz we Trust ” but this is the time to say ” COACH your making the wrong decision and your completly destroying the heart and confidence in a good football player for some unknown reason. ”

Sorry about all that Darren I’m just a passionate fan about this team always have been. Can’t wait to see your story on the rest of Lienart’s comments and what not.

LET LIENART PLAY COACH!!!!!!!!!

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

FightON —

The part about deserving to play, I don’t know if anyone holds that feeling against Matt. The part about not going to talk to Whiz …?

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Nikko —

It’s gonna be tough for Leinart to be here as a backup. But I don’t think he’s being shopped right now.

51. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

LMF —

My thoughts are Whisenhunt already said there is more being factored into this than just stats. I’m not sure today helped Matt’s cause.

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Former Steeler —

Six?

53. By Stuart on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Ottis-

I do agree with you in some things like Matt vocally and openly (to the press) wanting an explination, deffinetly a bad idea and a Pro doesn’t do that. But Matt wanting an explination he does deserve that he’s benn on the team and patiently waiting for his chance again to have it ripped out from underneth him at the least he derserves a private sit down with Coach to explain what he did to fail in Whiz’s eyes. It’s only fair.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Carddan —

I think he’s probably kept them in the loop, just like any organization, but I have no doubt this is Whiz viewing this strictly through a football prism.

55. By Scott H on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I’m just posting to let you know that I am officially out of comments and questions at this point. I think it’s all been said and said again. I’m just waiting for the outcome to this QB thing, and then looking forward to Week One. Come Week One, I’m rooting for the team, don’t care at that point who the QB is. However, if coach Whiz might be listening…I just wanna say that I DO have a really nice Leinart jersey that I’ve barey worn up until now…I don’t have an Andserson jersey. See where I’m going with this? Just sayin…

PS – Unlike Judy, i won’t mind if you don’t feel the need to respond to my post. But do ya think the Leinart jersey thing carries any weight here? These things are pretty expensive…

56. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Zapp —

Right now it’s tough not to feel Anderson has the inside track.

57. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Billy —

No indication on who starts, and I don’t know if it would matter. The final call? No idea on that anymore either.

58. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Tim —

Fitz will play week one. I don’t doubt that.

59. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

NorCal —

Dray still is a long shot for the roster. He could be practice squad.

60. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I can honestly say “Scott H” and “his jersey habits” have not come up when discussing possible starting quarterbacks.

61. By Beauchamp on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren where did you get your snazzy suit you wore in chicago? you looked good buddy. Do you know what level Hayes had his fusion in his back? When is he expected to return?

62. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp —

Hey, I can shop once in a while.

Whiz said today Hayes was on a 12-week rehab and I think he’s around nine or 10 weeks now. But the coach didn’t indicate a time Hayes might be back.

63. By mike b on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    quick questions
    1) When will we have to make the final cuts?
    2) How many people can be on practice squad?
    3) How does wiz feel about the rookie and 1 year players? (by 1 year I mean Ojo, Baggs, Jones, Mougey…ect.)

64. By Ken Cadena on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I think people are forgettig that the Cards are not the Browns and DA has a supporting cast that can actually play and win. Now my gut tells me DA isnt the answer, but he is the band aid for now. Are defense will get scary if we give them time to rest. DA will get better every game, whiz will not let him fall off the map like other weak coaches did. DA knows this. In responce to Matts imature attitude to saying this goes deeper than football. he is right Kurt Warner gave him PTSD and big shoes to fill. The fans will never go back to accepting a losing season again. We want winners and expect that. Coach Whiz is the answer. Instead of Matty fans saying in leinart we trust, Maybe they should just trust the coaches desicion, He did see something in warner when everyone passed on him. The Cards will be good this year once the cry baby departs.

65. By NotSOfast on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Has Anyone asked coach why Matt has not gotten more snaps if he is competing for a job?

66. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

MikeB —

1) After Thursday, before Sunday.
    2) Eight.
    3) Well, that’s a big list. I think he thinks he’s found some guys who can eventually contribute.

67. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

NotSofast —

Not sure what you mean. Matt got almost all the first team snaps before last week, going all the way back to the start of training camp.

68. By Brian on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

This is a tough one to even comment on. Putting yourself in Matt’s situation is difficult. Alot of people say they would go in and talk with their boss, but the reality is that only a few actually would. Human nature is to let the negative opinions mature until an almost anger developes giving the I don’t care what happens attitude before making the initial confrentation with a superior. I feel for Matt, as this confusion is festering inside him. As a Matt advocate however, I find it disturbing that he did not keep this to himself. If the attitude was to go out and continue to work as hard as you can, then do it. Put up, or Shut up. I believe part of being a leader is to lead by example. I don’t know 1 time where going to the media with ones troubles made thing better.

Darren, how do you think this will affect the organization, coaching staff, players, and Matt’s chances moving foward?

69. By Carddan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you know if it is true that Matt did meet with Coach today, or are you too busy fielding the firestorm of questions?

70. By Ross on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

just want you to know that you are appreciated from all cards fans for being an available “insider”. Keep it up!

Thanks.

71. By sean on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I just want this to be done and over with, Anderson’s accuracy scares the heck out of me, and I think that he will lose more games with that than he will win games with anything else he has.

Also….so many people on here confusing are with our….its OUR team…not ARE team…just thought I would give the tip.

72. By Dylan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

he is meaning why has DA got so much more playing time and more snaps then ML has in the preseason if this was a open competition….

73. By NotSOfast on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I guess that is what I mean. “Matt got almost all” . Why would you not give him all the 1st string snaps if he is your guy? If he is not your guy why would you not let him show more with the 2nd string?
    I also find in interesting that he was pulled in Chicago after 4 series? (I could be wrong on the amount of series). Why not let him play longer? I assume it has to deal with the talent that he would be up against.

THX again Darren for the great Blog and Insite!

74. By Paul on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

For everybody saying “give Matt his chance” I say HE’S HAD IT. He has had years of training camps and many regular season games and he hasn’t TAKEN it. You can’t say to put Matt in and if we go 0-4 bench him and start DA…you can’t risk writing off 1/4 of the season like that. If Matt hasn’t proven it to the coaches in training camp and the preseason games then he doesn’t deserve it.
    Now I think his preseason has been pretty good, you can’t argue too much with the stats. But he’s still a whiny kid. I know that’s harsh, but the things he says to the media are simply not professional and he sounds petulant. I think it’s a sign of immaturity, and we all know Whiz values experience and maturity. DA has both. Matt has a little of each.
    I’m betting DA gets the start on opening day…Matt won’t be traded.

75. By LUKE on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

regarding larod stephens howling…..Darren,hasnt he had at least one other concussion sincehes been here?thought he had one last year…i know the league was talking about guidelines for concussions.larod has looked extremely good this preseason.can this concussion jeopardize his playing time by means of league rules?

76. By Deveau on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Regarding Dray making the team or PS, I have to say they dropped Byrd today, and I heard Dray’s name more than Becht’s lately…Just saying…Couple that with Patrick missing games for whatever reason…You feel they go with Patrick, Spach, and Becht over Patrick, Spach and Dray, or keeping all four?

Kind regards,

Cris

77. By Josh on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

If Whiz starts Anderson he is gonna ruin the cards chances of any kind of NFC west title. I live in Ohio and know first hand how BAD Anderson will be if he starts. Leinart is the best chance we got please,please do not screw it up, and start anderson, he is just plain awfull… Oh yeah and Leinart has hardly seen any preseason snaps in the game. I don’t know what game you people are watching but I’m telling you Anderson is gonna stink it up if he starts. Quote me on that.

78. By CZarr on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I may have to get blitzed to fight back the tears if Leinart doesn’t start the St. Louis game. Got any drink recommendations? lol

79. By Fight ON! on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

It is rather funny that Cardinals fans are complaining about owning jerseys of players soon to be leave or be cut…you should be used to it. Of more importance is finding someone to step up the charity stuff in AZ after the rabble spray paints Matt’s name off of the children’s cancer unit at Banner Hospital…ask Fritzy to step up.

Good luck Derek, hold you head up and do well.

80. By CZarr on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Oh, I forgot to ask something relevant. My assumption is that Leinart got reps with 2nd team if he is “looking for an explanation” after today’s practice still. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

81. By Stuart on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Well all I can say is,

MATT- Step up your game even further then you have, and if you want an explination on this remove head from sphencter and go to Whiz and ask him for it. You do deserve it and I’m sure coach is willing to give you one ecpecially if you keep your mouth shut to the press about it.

Look Matt is making some mistakes on handeling this situation, but really can you blame the guy. He’s been waiting for his chance and is really hungry for that chance. I see this whole situation showing a fire in Matts eye’s that we didn’t even see when he was benched for Warner.

To be honest with you I still see Matt starting for us against St. Loius, I hope Whiz see’s that he is the best QB for us as we stand and that Matt has earned it. As I said in my earlier rant, ” Give Matt for regular season games and then make your decision.”

As a question

Darren-

So you really think it’s going to be Anderson as our starter now huh? What made you come out to that decision?

82. By TBru on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Once upon a time the Cardinals drafted a Heisman winning, National Champion QB billed as the QB of the future. Fast forward to 2010 and their are two qb’s of the future in camp. Anyone can have a label of the future they might be great, they might not be. What is truly important is the present and defending the NFC west championship. The guys that most benefit the team now is what is important. The coaching staff has the obligation to determine the best 53 for today. The coaching staff we have right now has a pretty solid history of pulling the right strings. Who knows if we will even field a team next year with a pending lockout. The future is now and the coach has to have 100% confidence in his QB.

83. By Thomas77 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

What’s the likely-hood Whiz would ever actually sign off on a Hard Knocks series about the Cardinals? Cause I gotta say, this Quarterback situation along with the turnover of the Cardinals and their future seems to me to be a pretty good storyline. Although, I’m sure they’d prolly go with their “darling” 49er’s before the Cards.

84. By Rick on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I am a little disappointed that Whis has not talked with Leinart!!! With all the positivity that Whis has shared over the past 6 months for it all to be overturned since the Titan game is a little disconcerting… I think Whis as with any good manager/coach needs to call his “starting QB” in and be up front with him… my impression is that Whis has not been completely up front with ML and isn’t that what Boldin has been saying for the past couple of years.. let’s not just give Whis a free pass on this because Boldin and now ML seem to be having the same type of issue… they aren’t hearing from the Head Coach directly.

Darren – Do you think that the two situations are similar with respect to Boldin and ML saying that they aren’t hearing directly from Whis?

85. By jwit on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

There is only one variable that has been consistent since the Cardinals became a successful team and that is Coach Whiz. Since his arrival, the Cardinals have grown to be a team worth respecting and I believe eventually feared in the league. As I recall, Anderson was brought in for the sole purpose of “pushing” Leinart and to be prepared to take over the offense if necessary. This so-called quarterback controversy has been effective in pushing and preparing both QBs for the stresses of the regular season. Coach Whiz says what he means and means what he says and suddenly everyone is doubting his judgment. From day one, Coach Whiz has said that there will competition in EVERY position; and if the QB position is earned and not given than a true leader will be born. I believe that our QB situation is a win-win for the organization. BOTH QB’s have potential and one of them will be “born-again” through this competitive gauntlet. As fans, we should support the strategy being used by the coaching staff, instead of doubting it. So far Coach Whiz has not let me down and I’m not going to let pre-season shuffling to lessen my faith in Coach Whiz’s wisdom.

Thanks for listening….
    In Whiz We Trust

86. By Ken on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Matt Leinart needs to start. He deserves his chance. Forget about the money, he needs to be given this opportunity. What is hurting Matt is that Coach has never liked his pretty boy image and hollywoood attitude. Just like when Coach was in Pittsburgh when Ben and him did not see eye to eye. I think Matt needs to be our quarterback on September 12. Any other scenario would be a dissapointment for me anyway with the organization. Lets see what Matt has, START #7 Coach Ken!!

87. By jomae on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

typical Leinert. He cries more than all of my children combined. Remember when Texas, with the better quarterback Vince Young, beat USC to win the 2005 NCAA Championship. Leinert had the audacity to claim the better team lost. Even Reggie Bush said the better team won that game. Leinert is a living QB legend, in his own mind only. He has proven to be an also ran QB. I’m guessing he would fall even beneath Brady Quinn on the depth chart if they were on the same team.

88. By Mandy on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

The Cards Whiffed on McNabb…………….

89. By Ken Cadena on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Just want to let you know im responding to your blog overseas, thats explains the time entries. We have a strong cardinal chapter over here. We love are Cards and Pat Tillman. So bare with the Marines over here we are probobly a little more critical than the average fan. We love your blog though, so keep it up. All I can say is that (In Whiz We Trust). Fans easily forget about the Denny Green days. We have a coach thats like Bill Cowher. Whiz is going to play the best player who produces productivity, and he doesnt care how much they get paid. thats what makes him a great coach. Look at Wade Philips he cant win with all the talent around him because he is a puppet for the owner. His team does not respect his word. Whiz scares his players, because like the Steelers you produce weekly or you sit on the bench. I dont think Matt can handle that environment. We want to plant the Ben Rothlisberger south paw trade. then everyones happy.

90. By Logan Cooper on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

You can see it in DA’s face in his interview that he has the job and he knows it.
    I like both QB’s and i hope for the sake of us fans and the cards he has a season like 07′.

It looked like last game dan williams got a lot of snaps with the first team. Does it look like he is gonna pull it out as first string or at least be there in the front of the rotation?

91. By TBru on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Jersey’s are expensive and they have sold a lot. Maybe the market was saturated and Leinart jersey’s just weren’t selling any more. I bet people will start buying Anderson jerseys and in the mythical future people will snap up Hall or Skelton jerseys. It isn’t about talent, skill or leadership. It is all about how we can sell more jerseys.

92. By Kurt on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Matt’s durability has to be a concern, with his tendency to hold the ball in the pocket. Darren do you believe Dereck has a history of durability.

If a trade is a possibility who would even want Matt?

93. By shep on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

matt leinert was performing just fine his two first years. Warner, with top receivers prospered when Leinert got hurt as i recall. Leinertis getting a screw job from the Coach. The Coach should man up and if you don’t like the guy, who has a lot more pedigree and track recrd than this Anderson, and if you did not want to name him your starter this year from the get go after Matt rode the bench the last two years, then get rid of him. Like someone else posted, your job is to develop confidence in the playerand put him in aposition to win, NOT PLAY MIND GAMES WITH HIM. If you don’t have confidence in him, fine, RELEASE HIM and stop playing games and double talking your actions.

94. By Ralph on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Personally, I don’t think either have played “well”, merely ‘decent’ against the Bears, and poor before. Though Matt seems to be more accurate, DA is more explosive, and a far better arm, but DA does throw far more passes ‘well off the mark’ that are likely to be picked off.

To be honest, I wouldn’t mind sending either away, and maintaining a competition between Hall and Skelton as backups. I still believe in a couple of years, Skelton will be the QB we are looking/hoping for. Neither DA or Matt are the answer.

95. By Dylan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

im just tired of all this….. can we just fast forward time and see who starts week one and get the media off us and all the bandwagon fans out of here

96. By Peter in Canada on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

No matter who plays QB they will not be successful unless we get the running game moving. Last year IMO the passing game set up the running and for the first time in a while we had a more balanced attack. This year the running game must take on a bigger role and setup the pass. Against the Bears we showed a lot better especially in the second half. We must keep on improving and I think that is the bigger issue not who is the QB.

97. By Zack on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Can someone explain to me why Anderson is in better favor to start?

98. By James on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

You know what,I see exactly what’s coming and I don’t want to be around to hear all of the whining ,moaning and complaining.I have a gut feeling DA will be named the starter and all of you “fans” are going to lose your minds about it!Instead of trusting the coach and at least waiting to see how things turn out you all are going to rip the coach a new one and I’m not sticking round to read all of the negativity!I should know better by now than to read all of this negative crap .I’M OUTTA HERE!!!

99. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Brian —

Matt isn’t the first nor the last player to say something like this publicly. The team will get past it, like it always does. Whether there are long-term effects, we can only wait and see.

100. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Carddan —

I trust what Kent Somers reports. http://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/22574815521

101. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Dylan —

Well, Leinart has been around these coaches for a long time. The judging doesn’t begin or end on preseason 2010.

102. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

NotSo —

If I am Matt, I am happy coming out of the Bears game when I did. TD pass on my last throw and completing 9 of 10, it can only get worse from there, right?

103. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Luke —

I will look into that but I believe you are right. Whisenhunt thinks Hyphen will be OK but I will look into it.

104. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

I don’t think they will keep four. I think Patrick and Spach are locks, and I think it’d be a big upset if Dray stayed over Becht.

105. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

CZarr —

If you are getting drunk based on the starting lineup, what do you do after a hard loss?

106. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

CZarr —

Probably safe to say.

107. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

I don’t know anything for sure. It’s my gut. But given what has happened over the past few days, how would anyone come to any other conclusion?

108. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

Less than one percent? I think the Hard Knocks folks actually sniffed around the Cards for 2009 camp after the Super Bowl. I just don’t see it being Whiz’s cup o’ tea.

109. By Gang6230 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Matt needs to stop being a baby 4 years is enough he didn’t produce. Personal or not he didn’t produce. The coaching staff know what their doing. They hav turned this team around since coming to Arizona. Because of their wise management The team is now competitive at every level and is earning respect from the critics and skeptics Go Cards

110. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Rick —

Different. Actually, Q was mad Whiz was too involved in his contract thing. Q did hear from Whiz directly, he just didn’t like what he heard.

As for Leinart, I guess it can be looked at both ways. Whiz could have explained himself more, I suppose. But when he didn’t, why didn’t Matt go to him right away?

111. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Ken–

First of all, thanks for all you guys do in the military and it’s awesome to know I have readers that far away.

As for a Ben trade, don’t see it. Big Ben’s reputation isn’t a great one off the field, and I’m not sure this team would want to take a chance on him.

112. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

Definitely a rotation. Not sure of the PT yet.

113. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Kurt —

1) Anderson has been healthy, yes.
    2) Don’t know about that right now.

114. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Shep —

Couple of points:

Leinart does not have a better track record than a guy who made a Pro Bowl and led a 10-win team. I won’t argue that Anderson’s career has had a lot more downs lately, but let’s not trot out overall resumes. Neither Leinart or Anderson has a resume of late that sparkles, otherwise we wouldn’t be in this situation.

As for the second, if the Cards want to make sure they have a veteran backup, they might not want to release Matt. If I am a team, I wouldn’t either.

115. By Svend on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I know nothing is “official” yet. But everything I’m reading makes it sound like its said and done and Matt has no chance. What happens say if DA comes out Thursday throws and pick, and Matt leads a nice TD drive. Are things reconsidered, or are things too far gone for Matt?

116. By joe on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Lotsa people wieghing in this is obviously a very hot topic so heres my two cent. I have a hard time believeing that the coaches like DA’s play more than matts frankly he scares me if it were not for williams making some great catches he would have looked very poor. I’m starting to thinnk this is about money They could be thinking that DA is comprable to matt and a much cheaper option so Whiz is being told to make him work if this is so they will lose all the fans they have gained in the last few years. I hope this works out i love my cards the D looks great this year we have ton of talented recievers our backs have another year under there belt if we lose this momentum because we cant pull the trigger on a QB it’s only a matter of time before we start losing our talent

117. By EFerg on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I think we are missing the point a little bit here. In the world of the NFL, not even a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady led team is necessarily a lock for the playoffs. Winning teams revolve around a winning quarterback for 4, 5, 6, or even 10+ years.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals don’t even have a locked-in starting quarterback heading into the last pre-season game.

ML, DA, or otherwise, the fact that we even have a QUARTERBACK RACE this late in the game is a scary, scary thought. It’s nobody’s fault, but it is frightening for a team that has made us fond and accustomed to winning as of recent to be in such a pickle.

118. By bobf on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren. How about this – what’s your opinion if Rosenfels becomes available?

119. By Fight ON! on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

For those asking why Matt didn’t simply talk to Whisenhunt before going before the media…do you honestly think he trusts him? Whisenhunt has made every criticism of ML public, so people tend to respond in like when frustrated. Does a guy unsure of his position as QB go out and take/invite his entire o-line (with wives and girlfriends) to Hawaii? One thing I can guarantee you, Matt never overstepped the boundaries when he backed up a QB, not Carson, or anyone else, and he pretty much took everything given to him quietly up until this point. The drones out there may say “In Whiz I trust”, but NO coach is infallable or incapable of making a poor decision, or in this case, handling the QB situation poorly. Cut the guy and your losses.

120. By jb on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

leinart sucks always has carrol is not gonna want his ass either. he excelled on an amazing team in college and he cant put it together in the pros and hasnt shown a single soul that he can. why people defend him is beyond my realm of comprehension. DA has a lot more arm but not much touch. he can be amazing or he can be awful. leinart is always awful and he’s a whiner. maybe i’m just biased but i say drop that money pit asap.

121. By Justin on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I think this scenario can go one of two ways:
    #1 – The Cardinals organization is playing this thing up with the media in an attempt to gain an edge in the first several weeks of the season.

#2 – Whisenhunt does not like Leinart. If he is trying to hide the way he feels about these two quarterbacks, he is a terrible liar. He has had nothing but positive things to say about Anderson’s inconsistent performances. By contrast, he hasn’t said anything negative, but he surely hasn’t said anything positive to say about Leinart’s progression through the preseason.

From my perspective of the preseason so far, Leinart didn’t do much in the first two games to get the offense moving, but, he also wasn’t afforded a fair opportunity to either. I understand they were all three and outs, but how can you possibly expect to evaluate performance if an offense isn’t given an opportunity to get into a rythym in the first two games. Anderson went up against second team defenses in those same two games and didn’t get anything going either and he certainly was given an opportunity to get into a rythym.
    I don’t know what games some of the fans have been watching, but Anderson scares me. I feel like the Cards best chance to win this year in the couple years following are with Leinart. I truly believe he has the biggest upside. People can say all they want that he has had four years, but outside of his rookie year, he hasn’t had an opportunity to prove on the field he is the Cards guy. Let him sink or swim, if he sinks…we go after a quarterback in next years draft and let him compete with Skelton or Hall. There certainly aren’t any premiere quarterbacks coming onto the market, so, it’s Leinart, one of our rookies or one of the quarterbacks in next years draft. Anderson was given the opportunity to sink or swim in Cleveland and we all know how that worked out. Anderson is a back up at best in this league.

122. By Rick on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren – YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Thanks for all the insight and replies… YOU are another reason we are all Cardinal fans!!! Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication to the team and the FANS!!!

123. By rafferty on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Zack-

Because DA has enough arm so that he doesnt hang his receivers out to dry in the middle of the field where they get their knees blown out like Q and Fitz did with Leinart.

Believe me, Coach Whiz knows his players much much better than you or I.

124. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

LaRuSH had a concussion almost exactly a year to the day against the Packers in a preseason game. I don’t know, howver, if he missed any time.
    My take on the which Dating Game contestant will Whiz choose(Cardinal No.1, Cardinal No.2…) is as long as Leinart isn’t traded(his contract is very manageable this season) he’ll be there if Anderson falters. And vice versa.
    Postscript: Forgot the most important note of the day, Kurt Warner WILL be on Dancing With The Stars next season!

125. By Judy on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

First of all i am really disappointed in Wiz.He has known Matt for 4 years now.If Matt is not good enough for him he has known it for a long time.Why wait untill now and have all of this mess going on.If Matt is not going to start,they should have cut him long ago.I would call what Wiz has done in the last few weeks cruel and inhuman treatment to both Matt,and the Cardinals fans.I want to cry every time i think of D.Anderson starting.Matt has waited patiently for 4 years,now at the last moment almost they are saying he is not good enough.If Anderson does start,this is my last year to buy season tickets.

126. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Svend —

I don’t think anything is absolutely set in stone.

127. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

BobF —

Don’t see it. Not right now.

128. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Judy —

Wait a minute. (And this is not just directed to you but others also). If the Cards had dumped Leinart earlier, I am guessing you would have been upset he was never given a fair shake. Now that they tried to see what they had this offseason and preseason (and are still evaluating, by the way, regardless of what everyone thinks), you are saying they should have dumped him a year or two ago? I don’t get it. What is it about quarterbacks? I used to feel this way about the fans I referred to as Warnerphiles — are you a fan of a single player, or the team?

129. By Erick on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

It kills me to read to much trash… I have been a Cards fan since the day they landed here via the St. L. Until last week, I was for Matt, but DA really showed something, namely, the ability to throw deeper than 5 to 10 yards. Our receivers are set-up that way. With Matt at QB, all defenses will be putting 8 or 9 in the box and blitzing us to death. DA killed then with his GUN when da bears tried. Matt has a 22 short and DA has a 50 cal long barrel. Plus, the Whiz iz da biz. I lived through all of the many not to pretty seasons, and Whiz is the best coach we have ever had – got to trust him and I do…

Go Cards!!!!

130. By Judy on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren.

I am and always have been a fan of the whole team.Never had favorites.One time i went to the team shop to buy a jersey,they only had three in my size three players that is.Plummer,McKinnon,and Tillman. I already had a Plummer so after some thought i bought the McKinnon.I went home and got to feeling so guilty,i went back a few days later and got Tillman’s.I sill have all three.
    If i thought Wiz was treating any of the players unfairly i would be pissed.I know Matt is being treated like a redheaded stepchild right now,Josh McCown got treated the same way by Dennis Green and i didn’t like that either.I really thought Wiz was different,i guess not though.They have to get rid of all the players who was here before them,i guess it’s ego.Will Deuce be next?

131. By OLdude on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I see Matts game as a compromise between the high risk vertical stretch passing game and the power running game. I see an advantage to Matt’s approach in that if the defenses DO cheat up in response to his checkdown game, the bomb becomes less risky with a higher chance of completion due to the cheating. In the meantime he’s breaking off safe passes in 5-10 yard chunks that also leave the receiver the chance to break a tackle for bigger gains. With our receivers, that’s a real possibility. The defense gets frustrated and tired and starts to jump a route and misses…..c’ya. How about they get ticked and hit late out of bounds to vent. How about being patient cuz Matt isn’t Kurt …..and neither is Derek.How many qb’s in the NFL right now have FEWER int’s per pass attempt than Matt? All Matt need is a PR coach!

132. By Zack on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

rafferty –

if that ball he threw to larry wouldnt have been high, the injury would have been much worse. because he had to leap, he just flipped and slightly hurt it. if he was planted in the ground running he would have completely blew his knee out

133. By Eazy E on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

DA DA DA!!! Leinart go on home. He does sound like a cocky spoiled baby. Look man, you haven’t outplayed DA, if anything, DA has played better. Your checking down, no offense, but anybody on this post can check down and complete a high percentage. I want a guy that can make all the throws and that’s DA. He takes chances and isn’t scared. He’ll take a hit and still deliver the ball where it needs to be. He’s much more mature and experienced. In cleveland, Quinn had to play because of the first round pick draft status, and as soon as they saw that he couldn’t play, they wanted DA and he performed well when the weapons were there. Start DA and I think that whiz will do that.

134. By Erik on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I personally feel like Wiz is going to play Leinart week one. I think coach is just trying to get the best out of his players. He does this every year by keeping them on their toes, competition. That being said Matt should have kept his mouth shut about all the in house stuff, but maybe that is what coach wants to see, passion.

LETS GO BIG RED!

135. By Skiptim on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Rafferty,

I’m not here to be vocal about my opinion, but Rafferty, I am sick of reading thing. People run routes across the middle. I watched the Bears game, and Cutler put his receivers in position to get hit several times (see Washington and I believe Toler both hitting a receiver). I watched several other games, same exact thing. Enough. You can fish for all these things to not like Matt Leinart over, fine, but don’t criticize him for something that EVERY quarterback does. It is the route. It is a dangerous game. He isn’t doing anything different from any other QB (Boldin, Jets, 2008??).

136. By GregP on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I have read your blog since you started with the Cardinals – and even before that when you were with the paper. What is with the “Warnerphile” comment? You have a derogatory term for people who admire and root for an athlete that has done wonderful things for the team and the community?? I thought this discussion was about Matt and DA?? People have strong opinions and feelings because they bleed red… please don’t label us – no matter who we want to start.

137. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Judy —

Gotta admit, the line about feeling guilty about the jersey made me smile.

In the end, the best part about the Leinart situation is everyone will eventually be judged on it. If he plays here or something happens down the road and he doesn’t play here, we’ll find out if he can be a quality NFL QB or not.

138. By Kurt Warner on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK GOD IM DANCING WITH THE STARS!! GO BIGRED!

139. By Melissa on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whiz needs to stop playing games with Matt and either start him or let him go. I don’t think Anderson is the answer he throws to many interceptions.

140. By Todd on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of jerseys, I bought an authentic Leinart jersey 3 years ago and have regretted it ever since.

141. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

GregP —

The point wasn’t to denigrate those who follow a player. My point was that it just seems like, with some people, the single player himself — whether it was Kurt, Matt, Anquan, whomever — was bigger than the team. I don’t agree with that philosophy. This league is based on change and turnover. That’s how it is. There are many people who wanted Kurt or want Matt because they think it’s best for the Cards. That’s fine. But you can’t deny there are people who pop up who argue for whatever player and it’s clear it’s because they care more about that player than anything else.

142. By shep on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Response to you Darren – was everyone still high on Matt after his first two seasons? Warner hadn’t blown the doors down up to that point. He sits and does not complain the last two years! This year should be his! They bring in Anderson who was let go for a reason in Cleveland, and Wisenhunt starts playing games. YOU DECLARE A STARTER BEFORE CAMP or get behind him…see Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay or again man up as a Coach or as an organization an be fair to the player and trade him away. Cutler was more of a brat and got his way and for therecord Matt Leinert was far better than the other two Anderson and Cutler the other night. Anderson overthrew Doucet. Should have been picked off by a d-lineman who dropped the deflected ball, and Anderson was lucky the rookie wr made a catch on a slant pass thrown behind him. Last week Anderson throws two duds down at the goaline. GEEZ WHIZ was Well’s fumble at the end of the first half in Chicago Matts fault as well. This reminds me years ago how Parcells stuck it to Simms and named Brunner his starter and it almost cost him his job. Wisenhunt has a cushion because of the last two years, but he should stop trying to be so cute and disengenuous.