After the talk

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2010 – 10:02 pm

Early in the afternoon, Matt Leinart was looking for an explanation, and Ken Whisenhunt reiterated — which he has actually talked about many times in various situations — he has an open-door policy for any player.

Sometime later Monday, Leinart and Whiz finally spoke.

I don’t know exactly what was said, but I think we can all guess. I don’t know if it makes an immediate impact on anything. I’m not sure why it took place four days after Leinart was told he’d be behind Derek Anderson for the Chicago game (don’t get me wrong, the two had been talking, but they didn’t have a sit-down to clear the air). Some have argued Whisenhunt should have instigated it. Then again, if you have a boss and he sets down some rule or situation at work, sometimes you have to go and find out why. Leinart could have done that. And we can talk about this and that with Leinart off the field, but it is true there was concern about the lack of offensive production in those first two preseason games, Whisenhunt shook it up, and then the offense played well.

I was a little surprised at a couple of the things Leinart said Monday considering it didn’t seem like much had changed since he spoke after the game Saturday. Maybe he was expecting Whisenhunt to flip-flop the depth chart back and when it didn’t happen (I am not sure exactly how the reps were doled out Monday) he wasn’t thrilled. I can’t think of another reason, and I’ve been thinking about it since after the media comments hours ago.

Here’s the thing, and whether you are pro-Leinart or anti-Leinart or somewhere else on the spectrum, it’s tough to argue with this — Whisenhunt wants to win. Does anyone really think Whisenhunt would move away from Leinart if he believes Leinart gives him a better chance to win than Anderson? I just can’t see it. Maybe Anderson starts. Maybe Leinart does. Either way, I am guessing Whiz wouldn’t jeopardize his chances at victory by making a QB choice based on anything else. The man has an engineering degree. He thinks through everything and he makes decisions very deliberately. This isn’t Denny Green, making spur-of-the-moment emotional choices — like John Navarre starting in Detroit.

OK. That’s enough on this for now. Maybe I can write about something besides quarterbacks tomorrow.

Tags: , , , ,

126 Responses to “After the talk”

1. By Hessay on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Good Job, Darren…

In Whiz we trust – he didn’t only get us to a winning season – he got us to the Superbowl

Seriously – take the good and bad, and Whisenhunt will always make the best decision for the Arizona Cardinals.

It’s what we need, it’s what has to happen – DA or ML – this team will be a force on Sundays – that’s what I care about.

2. By DRC #1 FAN on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry, but this is worse than a Denny Green decision(the man who brought us all the players from our super bowl team) While Whiz lets them go and be dolphins.
    Matt had a 300 yard game last pre-season. Has a %80 + completion rating this presaeson. has a passer rating of %110
    So, its matt’s fault Brandon Kieth and Levi Brown are struggling and now it’s obvious to us all in arizona why the jets let a certain “perinial all-star” guard go when they did, cause hes on the way down. If passes are complete and recievers aren’t getting any YAC, then thats on the recievers. Lutui may be out of shape, but on the field,
    Lutui looks beter than all these guys who have been working with the “legendary” John Lott, so tell me? please tell me? why do we eat the whiz flakes? stop drinking whizzaide!!!! we the fans need to stop this bullshoot!!! We dont need ex steelers and other teams rejects. we got where we were by keeping what we had!!!!!!!! I hate this . I am soooo pissed. Kurt f’n Warner retires and they all give up. How pathetic is that!!!! it was Kurt Warner, seriously, … seriously!!!! RED SAE RISE UP!!!!! Demand excellence. Darren, please, please. I love the big Red with all my heart and this is my first full season w/ my own season tickets. tell whiz to just give Matt a car per TD like Pete Carroll did, please!!!

3. By rod lenniger on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Trouble is, Whis hasn’t made a decision and has done a terrible job of communicating to Matt or Anderson.How can this be a “team” when manager and employee don’t talk? Seems more disruptive than unifying and I’m tired of the drama. Looks like maybe no one is talking to the O line either so makes no diff who QB is.Sadly not expecting much from this “team” this year and opinion of coach W has dropped quite a bit over way this was handled-or not.

4. By DRC #1 FAN on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

now that I whinned and got that off my chest. Logically, I just want the team to win. Whatever that takes. I don’t see practice or games up close. I coach pee wee football and that is the level I am at…. soooo… saying all that. I am sure they know what they are doing. but you all have to agree its frustrating!!!

5. By TIM on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

darren,

some info on washington getting to start or rhodes role on the defense would be a nice change to talk about over the qb issue.

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Rod —

Officially, Whiz hasn’t made a call between Toler and McBride. Or the starting tight end. He wouldn’t even commit to D Washington being a starting LB today. So why the outrage about QB, when, frankly, neither one has seized the moment. I have been at every practice and every game. Neither player has stood out to the point where it is an obvious decision.

Here’s the other problem. Whisenhunt told the QBs he wanted to make a change because the offense wasn’t playing well. He did tell Matt that. Leinart, understandably, was frustrated with that notion. But he can’t argue the fact. If Leinart wanted more info, he could have gone to him.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Tim —

I have a little something on Toler/McBride planned actually. I was going to write it last Thursday, and, well, some other stuff happened that day.

8. By Brad ONeill on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Whiz probably told him “matt the good news is you can still go get the tee after the first kick off. if you can beat out the 10 year old that won the contest.”

i hope their conversation could be heard from several rooms away. i think it would do matt some good to explode and tell the coach exactly why he thinks, he can lead this team.

i honestly believe matt has been working on timing and ball security and he really thought he was doing what the coaches were looking for. He probably didnt want to get all over his line even though levi has looked lost and faneca sacked himself in the chicago game.

if you average out the yards gained per catch i think matts ahead. if you average out yards gained per attempt matt is way ahead. so despite the fact that he has been sacked, and his running back was stopped dead in the early games he has still been fairly effective. its time to move his safety valve up the field further and maybe just maybe this team can roll.

9. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, is it true that Leinart is going to change his name to HeHateMe?
    And what’s with the shot at Green? First Judy, now Denny. What’s next, someone that thinks that Donovan McNabb should be on the Cards? ‘Cause obviously you can’t say Donovan McNabb without b-a-d m-a-n.
    Any chance the ex-Eagle becomes an ex-‘Skin and current Card?

10. By Jesse Robles on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Appreciate it Darren! I too questioned the way Whiz handled it, but I never lost faith, I just feel it wasn’t fair. I have no say in what happens, and Whiz’s 8-8,9-7,10-6, season’s speak for themselves. Yes we do Not Have Kurt, but I am EXCITED!!! WE DO THIS TOGETHER!! NFC WEST CHAMPS!!

11. By Daniel on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I jotted down all plays from the Game against the bears, as i was getting mad about the mistruths being proliferated in regard to DA throwing bombs and ML throwing check downs.

Its on the forums here

Someone needs to tell it like it is Matt is doing what Whisenhunt always wanted, a safe QB who doesnt turn it over. He reminds me a lot of Big Ben and he is doing what is asked.

12. By DHALL on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

DRC and Rod……. love the post! It’s amazing how many pro Matt people show up now. Watched the preseason game again tonight and it was amazing how accurate Matt really was (yeah there wasn’t any BOMBS but it was efficient). Even with the breakdowns on the line AGAIN….. DA, for as many reps as he has had in preseason was off the mark again just like in Clev. I am so afraid of this guy throwing pick after pick this year making our Defense be on the field for longer and longer which in turn can cause more injuries?? At this point I am not happy with Whiz but if he proves all of us wrong then I guess that’s that! ( ML to Seattle….Hasselbeck get hurts and ML wins a ring or two with his old leader…..just sayin!!!)

DHALL

13. By Brad ONeill on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

drc #1 fan- we trust in whiz because he has done something that no one even came close to doing in recent or distant cardinals memory he got us to the super bowl. The man is a great coach and yes he used denny’s guys to get us there the same guys denny used to get us a what and what record again? I know it takes time to develop players but Whiz did it and he did it well.

Now fast forward to the biggest challenge of whizzes career. he just lost 4 stars, 4 out of the 6 biggest names on the roster. not to mention a great field goal kicker. I personally think he was reaching for another warner type resurrection with derek anderson but realizes it just isnt there.

Personally I will still be a fan of these guys if they go 5 and 11 this year. I would hate it but I would find something to root for. This team has always had at least something to root for. but this time what we have to root for is a system we can believe in because we have seen it work. The system has kept pittsburg competitive year in and year out and it will work in arizona. We aren’t looking to just get lucky anymore we are looking to win because we are better from top to bottom and that is what we have to thank whiz for.

14. By Judy on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

DRC#1 FAN
    I liked you better when you were ranting lol.I have been doing plenty of that myself.
    In a poll on the front page 63% still think Matt will start,so we just have to hang in there.If i were Matt,they would have two choices,start me or cut me i would not play backup for him any longer.

15. By Andy Mokler on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I understand Leinart’s frustration because even if he was told that a shake-up was planned for the Chicago game, it doesn’t explain why he was given so few opportunities the first two games of this preseason.

If Anderson had been yanked after 2 drives in the Chicago game(like Leinart was the first two games) what would his numbers have looked like?

It would be perfectly understandable for Leinart’s chances to be minimized with the way the o-line was struggling in front of him and the RB’s struggled behind him and if he was the unquestioned starter. But to come to the decision to drop him out of the starter’s role after 13 pass attempts is highly questionable by Whis.

What’s potentially more disturbing is that Whis is now saying that chemistry is of importance. Which of course it is but for him to bring it to the forefront after severely limiting Leinart’s playing time in the preseason seems shady. How is Leinart to develop any chemistry with so many new faces when he isn’t getting a chance to play in games?

I will defer to your views on how they’ve been practicing for obvious reasons but if they were relatively equal in camp, why is Anderson getting 2X – 3X as many pass attempts to show what he can do?

The decision hasn’t been officially made but the proverbial writing on the wall sure makes it look like Whis threw Matt under the bus.

16. By Sean on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I have to say when it comes to quarterbacks Whiz doesn’t exactly have a stellar track record…Look how he sat Warner when he came here, then look how he made it a competition every year until last year…Warner was light years ahead of Lienart, yet there was a quarterback controversy…WHY?? Now Marc Bulger was released a few months back & we pick up Derek Anderson….WHY?? Anderson’s a 50% career passer! Marc Bulger is a 62.1% career passer & a very similar story as Warner…Who Would you pick…… A 50% career passer??? C’mon Whiz! BTW, I hope I’m wrong, but neither Leinart or Anderson is going to be the answer here!

17. By blake on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Darrin , must you remind us of that John Navarre start in Detroit :)

18. By OLdude on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey DRC I too am a youth coach and feel much the same as you do about this situation. I think Coach W shouild be sitting down with the “cubes” and communicating his concerns for their contemplation and field adjustments. What’s the problem with telling ‘am what he sees and seeing who can respond to correct any perceived deficiencies. Weren’t we told it is ML’s job to lose before camp? What has he done to lose it? QB rating 110? So what if he isn’t spectacularly long he IS very consistent and virtually error free. DARREN – I saw in a previous post that the problem for Matt MAY be his high salary next year…..is it probable that the controversy is at all a BUSINESS influenced situation made more likely because of the emergence of the 2 rookies?

19. By cahongisto on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

So I am curious who you thinkthe final 5 guys who might make the roster could be like some sleepers we should be watching for that youve seen shine all preseason .. and im not talking about the rookie receivers maybe some people that we wouldn’t be paying attention to since so much of our focus is on our quarterback problems… thanks Darren have a good one

20. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

QB Matt L waited to come off the bench to shine. Any one else find that odd?

How do the Cards keep 4 QB’s?

This is getting very interesting. Coach Whiz has found ways to motivate his players, this is no different.

If the Cards players are speaking out but not letting their identity known then there could be something even worse going on.

The fact is QB Matt L has been here long enough for any real chemistry to flourish. Strange how the Cards 1 WR L Fitz took the politically correct route on the QB subject. Could be too little too late fot Matt L.

The good news is we will all see the light soon. Sept 12th is right arond the corner. The season will depend on this decision Coach Whiz. I trust Coach Whiz is sleeping better then some of us.

21. By Eazy E on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

The facts are leinart didn’t move the ball at all in the first two preseason games. DA at least moved the ball much better. Whiz is a great coach, easily one of the best in the league. Hey darren, LOL at the denny green/john navarre starting in detroit statement, That was bad, but denny definately could draft good players.

22. By Xosder on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

In regards to “Does anyone really think Whisenhunt would move away from Leinart if he believes Leinart gives him a better chance to win than Anderson?”

I think there is some general sentiment that this could actually be behind this whole fiasco. If Leinart performs well this year, his deal gets reworked and Whisenhunt is stuck with him for another few seasons. It’s clear he won’t adjust his desired offense to play to Matt’s strengths (despite eventually doing it for Warner), so given his extension and the relative job security that brings for the next ~3 seasons, is it really that much of a stretch to conceive of a coach who’s already waited 3 years to install his offense tanking this season (and oh-by-the-way save some of the few remaining follicles on his head by avoiding the stress of playoff expectations) to prepare for the next 2-3 years?

Given your position within the realm of the team, I can’t imagine you’ll address this with any ounce of true consideration, but to come full circle, the answer to your question is very much a Yes.

23. By darrel on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I hate that the cardinals are in the media for the wrong reasons

24. By bird on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I think they stick with Lienart. I heard he had a reputation of not being a good practice guy. THe preseason mediocrity didn’t help. I don’t think Gary Anderson impressed much. If there is any doubt in the coaches mind about Leinart, it might stem from his practice play.

25. By Brandon on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I trust coach has a better pulse on the team and where it’s heading than any of us outsiders do. This could be what Leinart needs to get going. His stats are not impressive if you watched him play. Short yardage, safe passes have been the name of the game. The 1 TD he connected with Breaston on was ALL Breaston as it was 10 yards short on a 3rd and goal and Breaston made the play. Matt does not allow plays to develop and checks down very quickly, even when he has time. When the pocket shrinks around him he panics to get rid of the ball instead of stepping up in the pocket. His 3rd down play is bad. He consistently completes passes well short of the marker. I think all these things are coachable, but why should coach have to deal with this from a guy with Leinart’s experience? Maybe it is just innate for him. I want to see the same thing coach does, and that’s to have the best QB lead this team to another NFC West title.

26. By tom on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Hello Darren. If Leinart isn’t the starting qb opening up the season, don’t they have to cut him (or trade, but I don’t know how much you would get for him at this point”? From everything I have read and heard about this situation from you and other outlets, it seems to me that coaches and players don’t trust Leinart. Im not saying that Anderson has been much better, and you have said that he really hasn’t played all that well, but he must be more in charge of the huddle, accepts criticism better, etc. Whiz is going to try and stir up the situation by coming out and saying exactly why he doesn’t like Leinart as the qb, but maybe you could by being there everyday. I’d like to know your opinion on that situation because it is a little confusing to me.

27. By aaaaudio on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I have to add my two cents here Darren. This Faneca guy is the one who got Leinart sacked in the red zone against the Bears. Whiz needs to sit Faneca if he is all about winning. He could make a nice backup but he is not doing a good job on pass protection. The continuity is there if Wells and Lutui are back in. Then our only change would be Keith…. How do you see the Faneca situation being addressed? Do you think letting your QB get sacked in the Red Zone is any less important than throwing down field?

28. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

After watching Whiz’ presser yesterday i am convinced he is being fair, reasonable and deliberate. We’ll just have to wait for it to play out.

Git er done, Cards.

29. By Larry Secrest on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I trust Whiz’s decisions. It has made very smart moves with this team. It is hard to find a major mistake that he HAS made. Ya know, having Derek start (against the bears) may have seemed like a big deal to some people, but to put things in perspective Matt played in a different part of the game (end of the first half, beginning of the second). I see that as Whiz’s testing his player’s in different situations (Last 2 minutes). I think Matt proved himself and WOULD have scored a touchdown had Beanie not gotten all wrapped up and fumbled (I have faith in you Beanie).

30. By TARL SAMPSON on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

We have all seen what Whiz does with two Quarter backs, he takes them out when they dont do well. I am sure the one two punch will come as it did when we had Warner and Lienart fighting at it. Why would he do anything different?

31. By RogerH on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I really enjoy reading your blogs as I find them very informative. However, I don’t think Ken as good a coach as he is has handled the QB well. I take exception to your statement that Leinart should have instigated the meeting with Ken to clear the air. The manager as the decision-maker should meet with the employee (ML in this case) and explain the decision as this is a career-affecting decision. This is both a good and accepted management practice as well as a common courtesy, and Ken was acting as a manager here. This practice is violated sometimes in mom and pop management operations and also there are bad managers out there in larger operations but it is not considered good management practice in the management profession.

32. By Audrey on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Ha Ha Darren… you think that maybe tomorrow we will let you talk about something other than the QB’s? That’s pretty funny actually. Just wait till Friday morning… or rather Thursday night.

33. By cody on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren, i doubt its true, but is there any truth to the rumor that Matt walked out of practice yesterday?

34. By robert mason on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

this is starting to be a joke. when anderson got hurt in cleveland the fans cheered because he stunk so bad. matt deserves a chance, and i have lost alot of respect for the coach. this in my mind is no way to run a team, i will always be the biggest card fan. just make a choice dude! lets get this thing going. GO CARDS!

35. By Matt in Philly on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I can’t help but feel that Matt is getting a raw deal here. And I wouldn’t care if I didn’t think that he can succeed with this team. He went into this pre-season being told “Matt is our guy,” and he’s done what any of us would have done when we’re “the guy”: go in and don’t screw things up. Clearly, that’s not what Whis wanted. Fine. But Anderson is a guy who had nothing to lose, and has played as such. I think Whis is have Kurt Warner withdrawals, because I can’t see how anyone would elect to go with a guy who tosses loads of interceptions over a guy who’s been able to hang on to the ball. Now maybe Matt is doing some things at the line of scrimmage that aren’t the best decisions, but Anderson is just not the guy.

36. By mario8267 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Here is my prediction: DA is going to be the starter, Matt will be traded, and Max Hall will be starting by Halloween. :)

37. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whiz wants to win for sure, but he’s also willing to sacrifice (loose) every preseason game which means nothing in the final standings if he believes the end result is him being able to put the best combination of players being on the field starting day. I think he knows what Matt can do and what Anderson can do and that’s not going to change two weeks from now. The regular season is all about adversity and Whiz is simply giving his QBs a bit of that as long as the final score doesn’t count.

Whiz has fooled me too many times before when it has come to his team underachieving. He’s a sly fox and I’ve learned not to get too anxious when things don’t appear to be going as good as they should or as I would like them.

38. By DarrenRural on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren, it sems as if you are really toeing the company line lately. You honestly think this is a good move, seriously? Are you going to tip toe around Whisenhunt if we have a 5 win season and Leinart becomes successful elsewhere? This is personal, everyone can see it. Whisenhunt likes to jack around players, Look at Roethlisberger, Boldin, Edge, Leinart…makes him feel like the big man on campus. This mistake will cost the Cardinals the season. I just hope the media holds this guy accountable when thsi blow up in his face.

39. By Jeff Gollin on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren -I think what you’re saying is that we really don’t know what the situation is, who said what or how it will fall (although you may have revealed a tell when you couched the issue as “pro-Leinart/anti-Leinart” without conceding their still might be a pro-Anderson/anti-Anderson aspect as well).

My guess (& that’s all it is) is that Wiz is continuing to keep all options open and will wait til the very last second to make his decision.

(Note – I received an interesting e-mail from a reputable member of the local media, who claims that “the decision has to have already been made (presumably to start Anderson) because there were only 6 practices left before the StL game.” I realize that the CW says that you have to name your starting QB in order to prep for the next game, but I’m not so sure Wiz isn’t gearing up for the team to be comfortable going into each game with the possibility (probability?) that both QB’s will share the action on a “hottest hand” basis). Who says that couldn’t work?

40. By sean on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Sigh…enough of this rose colored glasses junk…Every single coach in this league has an ego, and it will affect their judgement at least once in their career, realistically more than that, however that is a fact. Whether its not liking a certain guy, or thinking you are so awesome you can change the bad tendencies of some other guy, which almost never works out, it happens. A coaches ego will get in his way. I guess we can just wait and see what happens after this.

41. By trigidy22 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren thanks for the update!! ya i think a story about are other positions would be GREAT!! get away from the QB situation!!

42. By trigidy22 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren do u think Matt Leinart will be cut??? An when a salary cap returns for 2011, the Cardinals could cut Leinart then — and pick up $6 million in credit toward next year’s salary floor.

43. By 98CardsFan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Agreed with DRC #1 FAN, still have to defend D Green in some areas.

44. By Paul on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DRCFAN, your nuts if you liked the dysfunctional days Denny Green. He decided to switch out J. McCown for Shawn King on a Saturday morning in Tampa. I guess he woke up on the right side of the bed instead of the left side that day. Maybe you can go root for Denny and the Sacramento Lions. Darren must have been in a forgiving mood to let your rant get posted. I am like a lot of other fans, “In Whiz we trust”

45. By Joel L. on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

What about watching the two QB’s makes you say that Matt hasn’t outperformed DA? The stats aren’t even close. If we run the ball effectively Matt is going to protect the ball and complete passes. But also what is being lost in all this is that Matt was playing with zero run support or pass protection those first two games and the offense did zero game planning. Once the season starts DA won’t be operating in a vacuum, he will be expected to run our offense which he doesn’t even know. I just don’t understand what the coaches are thinking.

46. By Chris on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Look I’ve been at training camp and i’m a season ticket holder soi was at the first pre game. Leinart has out performed Anderson with no doubt. So if he does start Anderson I agree with Matt on this goes beyond the best 11 in talent. IDK why whiz would do that but if he does I am not sure if IN whiz we trust is going to come out of my mouth ever again.

47. By Monty on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

This isn’t an emotional decision, this is a decision that he made before camp – Preseason comes around and ML gets far less reps as the ‘starter,’ then, when the roles flip, ML again gets less snaps.

When someone says it won’t be based on stats (Facts) but on chemistry (emotion) to justify the decision I think that is a problem – he should have just set it up right instead of basically rigging the game.

Also, as was pointed above, I’m not really worried about either QB, I’m worried about a horridly performing line. And another ‘emotional’ decision is Doghouse Decue – he clearly needs to be starting at guard. One of Whiz’s guys is going to start even though it is clear why he was cut with a guaranteed fairly sizable contract. D-lines are constantly on the other side of scrimmage against the 1st team.

And, lastly, the blame needs to go to Whiz – he is the manager, he is the one that should communicate, and if he wants the best players on the field it behooves him to explain what his players can do to be that, not just give a guy limited snaps behind a line that is getting picked up and thrown at the QB, not tell him what he needs to do, and then saying ‘chemistry’ is going to decide the decision. Leinart, because of how we perceive him comes off whiny here, but, that doesn’t make him wrong: this is not related to on-field and he did deserve an explanation.

Whiz has been great for us, but he made a serious error here in how he handled this, and these are the type of things that can give pause and make people on the team rethink the leadership of the coach even if they are in DAs camp on the matter.

48. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStands —

Only because I know you are joking will I let that one go …

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Daniel —

Not to pick on you, but are you sure Leinart is doing everything he is asked? I’m not. I am not privy to those conversations and I’m not sure anyone besides Whiz and Matt are. These are the leaps of logic many are taking right now.

50. By Ron on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Where is the integrity on the part of Whiz here? He had stated Leinart was the starter and now is backpeddling when Anderson is mediocre at best. You should at least question that, but maybe your afraid to step on coaches toes. The Bidwells have already spent what around 40 million on Leinart. Coach should be a man of integrity and start Leinart for 1-2 games and lets see what he has learned under Kurt the past couple of years. If he doesn’t perform to expectations fine cut him. Man what a waste not to at least give Leinart that. This is crazy Whiz.

51. By Chris B on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DRC Fan,
    Calling it Whizzaide just brings terrible thoughts to mind about such a drink.

I want Leinart to succeed. He has what it takes in him somewhere. But it’s his job to bring it to the front and take the job. If he doesn’t and DA starts, then we have a new QB. I don’t think the losses we suffered over the off season are really that bad, with the exception of Warner. Although I personally believe Warner would have struggled mightily this year if he had played. He’s not Farve. Rhodes is an upgrade if he plays the way he can. Dansby wanted Ray Lewis money which he wasn’t worth. Lenon is fine and Washington will be a better player than Dansby was.

Whis has had 4 years with Leinart. He knows more about him than any of us could ever hope to learn about Matt. If he thinks DA gives us a better chance than Matt, than he either is stupid or he knows his football players and knows what he is doing. History tells me he knows what he is doing.

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Andy —

Again, to make the assumption that the decision to swap QBs was made solely on those 13 pass attempts is probably an errant leap of logic.

As for chemistry, Leinart was the No. 1 QB all through minicamp, OTAs and camp through last week.

Finally, Leinart did only have 13 pass attempts before last week. Whiz also saw him all of camp, practices this offseason, practices in 2009, 2008, 2007. That’s a pretty big body of work.

53. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

Bulger was nowhere close to being available when Anderson signed.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

OLdude —

I guarantee Matt’s salary has zero to do with this situation.

55. By Don't Take Losses on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whiz said in his presser he admires Matt’s work the last 4 years. He said he has great affection for him. Whiz is a straight shooter. That’s why we got him, why he thrives. Give him time. He’s earned it. This will be great season, we’ve got a FAST and PHYSICAL D. The O will get it done as well. Go Cards. The PRE season isn’t even over!! ;)

56. By Mark on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I understand the official decision has not be made on either player, but with Leinart and Wells not likely to start opening day (I’m reading the tea leaves), it would seem logical that the Cards would be testing the market value for both yet we keep getting told they are not. Why? Can those trades be done quickly without much groundwork? (Graves is methodical sometimes to a fault) I could see them holding onto Wells if the numbers allow but it makes no sense to have Leinart around if he is not the starter. He will become an issue sooner or later.

57. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Cahongisto —

Knee deep in QB stuff right now, but tomorrow, I’ll probably post a 53-man blog with my thoughts on that stuff.

58. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Xosder —

Wow. That’s one massive conspiracy theory you have there. The best part is that you conveniently forget Whiz installed Leinart as starter when he arrived in 2007 in part because Matt fits his offense much better than Kurt did. And then he made Leinart the starter again the day after the 2007 season — despite Warner basically lighting it up the second half of 2007.

The idea the coach would want to tank a season when he has so much talent at other positions is, frankly, a joke. Let me ask you this: Whiz wants to dump Fitz and Dockett too? Because if they felt they weren’t going to win, why would they want to stay themselves?

59. By SierraVistaNick on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I think we need to look at the big picture here. Whiz hasn’t named a starter this week or last. He did however name ML in the off season and moved the entire line around to fit a left handed QB. I think neither is the answer, DA can throw long but his short passes and check downs are poor. Inaccurate, too fast, no real touch. ML on the other hand has the short game but anything longer than say 10yrds or in the middle needs work. He can’t throw the long ball. It’s clear Whiz is searching for a QB and calls plays, based on the personnel on the field, that suit the strong points. I still think ML starts the season because we haven’t seen DA out play ML that much to warrent moving the O-line again.

Of course, this could have been a move Whiz planned to light a fire #7 to make him step up his game. Leinert probably felt it was DA’s job to win not for him to lose. It’s amazing what people can do when they feel threatened and I think that’s all Whiz is doing the right thing and until we fall apart I will continue to drink the “whizaide”.

Prediction: 11-5 NFC West Champs!

Nick

60. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Tom —

I do wonder about Leinart’s mindset if he is relegated to a backup role again.

I don’t know about trust issues. I think there probably is something to the idea Anderson inspires a bit more, but it is difficult to tell. And again, I’m not ruling out a Leinart rally at some point.

61. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

aaaudio —

I don’t think the sack “hurt” Leinart’s chances. The Faneca “situation” is that he is going to play, and again, I don’t see them playing him if they felt Deuce/Wells combo was better.

62. By Andre on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

What I find funny is the fact that ML’s arm is scrutinized for not going deep. But last season we didn’t even throw much, if any, deep balls. We still had a potent offense. I honestly think all this drama is really nothing. Matt will be the starter. The only way coach whiz will name a starter right off the bat is if ML separates himself from DA by a large margin or in any competing spot. Still, I think whiz is set on ML as a starter. He just wants competition until a decision needs to be made. Right now, it doesn’t need to be. That shouldn’t be a knock on Lienart also. They’ve both been mediocre. I don’t see how all this talk about Anderson being the starter is even considered as fact. I won’t happen. If it does, then whiz’s coaching is in serious question, that can be dispelled if they win and I wouldn’t see a problem with that. But neither side has warranted a guaranteed starting spot. So, ML has to be your logical choice given his knowledge of the offense. The 4th preseason game would be very interesting to watch.

63. By NorthernCard on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

This has got to be one of the biggest messes I have yet to see come out of the Whiz Cardinal Era. If Matt does get demoted or cut I really will have lost a lot of respect in the coaching staff. Can someone explain to me how its possible that it has taken three solid years to determine that Matt isn’t the guy? That seems like extremely poor decision making to me. They’ve had all this time to make up their minds on Matt and they decide 2 weeks before the season opener that he was going to start? It seems to me they could have come to this decision a long time ago and we could have gone a completely different way. We could have found a FA or drafted someone a year ago, or two years ago.

I will say this, if DA gets the starting job and sucks while Matt gets benched or cut, Whiz is going to have a ton to answer for. I can’t complain about the last few years production, but one has to wonder how much of that was Whiz and how much of that was Warner, Fitz, Boldin and company.

64. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

RogerH —

Whisenhunt told both quarterbacks beforehand he didn’t like how the offense was performing and he wanted to switch things up. Then the offense performed better. I’m not sure what else Whisenhunt needed to say at that point. The problem isn’t that Matt didn’t know why, the problem is that Matt disagreed. To me, that then goes to Matt if he wants to hash it out further. But to say Whiz didn’t talk to Matt isn’t true. That’s why players all the time go to Whiz’s office. He doesn’t call them in. They go to him.

65. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

Not sure where you’d even hear that. Of course it isn’t true.

66. By Andy Mokler on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I agree but it works both ways. If the evaluation of Leinart from the past 3 years through this preseason was so precarious and his hold on the job was so feeble then this whole situation is a mess.

My assumption after the first couple of preseason games was that Leinart was the established commodity and his job was relatively secure. Whis was giving Anderson the lion’s share of playing time to help him catch up as well as giving him a, remote as it might be, chance to dazzle in his playing time and earn a chance to start.

But he didn’t. He’s been under 60% completion all preseason, his ypa have been under 6, he’s missed open receivers in the red zone, he’s fumbled, he’s thrown interceptions. None of which should have given him a chance to be the starter.

Conversely, Leinart has been very efficient with the ball, completed a high % of his passes, no turnovers, spread the ball to many different receivers and if nothing else, hasn’t done anything so terrible as to be demoted.

Again, I understand the decision hasn’t been publicly announced so this might be a lot of hand-wringing over nothing and I would not even be commenting on it if not for the frustration Leinart is expressing. Maybe it’s all an act but if it isn’t, I think Whis is taking a road that will make it hard to have a good working relationship with Leinart if he is the starter. There’s a lot to guess about but this certainly doesn’t look like a harmonious situation between HC/QB and that is worrisome to me.

67. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darrenrural —

Again, I have said before I probably would start Leinart to begin the season.

As for toeing the line, I am just trying to explain what is going on. Why does that turn into, what, I am a team/Whiz lackey, or I am anti-Leinart? Will I tip toe around? I guess we will see. If the Cards win nine or 10 games and/or Matt isn’t successful elsewhere, will everyone come back on here and talk about how they were so off-base?

No one knows the future. Not Whiz, not me. And not anyone else here. Talking in such absolutes cracks me up. Whiz is doing what he believes is right for the team. That’s his right, because that’s his job. He could be wrong, sure. Maybe you are.

68. By Andre on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whiz just wants competition, until we all see Anderson light it up AND Lienart falter badly Anderson has got the job and vice versa. The default is obviously ML. So why all this drama about ML losing his job?! Oh yeah, thats right, the media. I would feel sorry for Matt if he wasn’t being paid millions of dollars.

69. By Start Leinart. Run Beanie. on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DRC #1 FAN – thanks for a semi-retraction on you post. I was going to remind you that Whiz brought in DRC, not Green, to counter your point but there no point now. haha.

Xosder – I think it is crazy to think that anybody would tank the season. These are professionals who are paid to perform and I don’t think it is in their genetic make up to not give 100% (unless you are a little crazy like TO or something). And if a team were to tank a season to get a high draft pick it would make more sense in, say, basketball because 1 player can make that much of a difference. LeBron can literally turn around a franchise. But in football, the ultimate team sport, one guy doesn’t guarantee anything (see Jamarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf,etc.) Even Peyton or Rivers didn’t make it until they had quality around them. Or what about undrafted guys like Romo or low draft picks like Brady? Bottom line it is way too much of a risk to “tank” a season. And especially for these Cards who made a Super Bowl run after going 9-7. Or the Jets of last year. How many years did SD get picked to go to SB and not make it? Anything can happen so you “play to win the game!”

And the QB situation, to me, sits like this. If we are asking Leinart or Anderson to win us tons of games (like Warner did) – we are in trouble. Beanie and Hightower are going to win us games, we just need a QB to hand it off and throw to Fitz to keep it balanced. I am pro-Leinart for his high completion rating and ball security.

I do agree that Warner throwing hot routes to Q and Fitz is a big difference than Leinart throwing to Breaston and Williams. If you watch tape, those veteran receivers would have made those 1st downs and maybe we wouldn’t even have been discussing this. But it is a moot point now because Q is gone and Fitz was/is injured.

Man, long post that no one will read….haha!

70. By BigRedFan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

My crystal ball sez that lots of people here are crazy to think they know more than the coach. Geeeeeez. . . . .

71. By TBru on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

“So what if he isn’t spectacularly long he IS very consistent and virtually error free.”
    That’s what she said

“why do we eat the whiz flakes? stop drinking whizzaide!!!!”
    ewwww!

Probably getting myself moderated out, but lighten up Francis. We need something to make us laugh right about now. The team was playing sluggish and looked really good after the flip flop. I think part of the reason for the change was to see how each player handled change. One guy has quietly gone about his business while the other has had hissy fit. Matt should have initiated the conversation and not used the media to make the coach look bad.

“So, its matt’s fault Brandon Kieth and Levi Brown are struggling”
    Well if Levi changed positions to accomodate Matt’s style of play and is struggling, while it isn’t Matt’s fault it might be better for the team if Levi plays his natural position.

“I saw in a previous post that the problem for Matt MAY be his high salary next year…..is it probable that the controversy is at all a BUSINESS influenced situation made more likely because of the emergence of the 2 rookies?”
    I think DA is getting paid more this year, if it were just business and the reigns were going to handed over next year, regardless. I keep Matt and dump DA’s contract.

“Whisenhunt wants to win. Does anyone really think Whisenhunt would move away from Leinart if he believes Leinart gives him a better chance to win than Anderson?” Wiz wants to win, and wants to keep his job a poor decision could cost him both. It was Wiz who took us to the promised land, not Matt. I wish Matt would use this this controversy to prove he is the man, go out and light it up against Washington. I don’t thin anything has been decided but Princess Leinart having a temper tantrum is not a good way to prove you are you can lead a team into battle.

72. By Kurt on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

What I don’t get is why the Cardinals would want to release *either* veteran QB at a time like this. Okay, maybe that’s not the only thing that puzzles me about Whiz right now, but it takes the cake. We have the luxury of two QB’s in their physical primes, who could each conceivably have excellent seasons and perform in the playoffs. That’s a big deal. Why eliminate your depth at the most important decision?

If Anderson starts the season as #1, one of three things will happen. He plays within himself and wins games, he sprays the ball and loses games, or he gets hurt. If we cut Leinart now, we’re saying that if the Anderson experiment doesn’t work out, we’re done and we write this off as a rebuilding year.

Max Hall is not ready to win playoff games. Anderson & Leinart are “proven” commodities in that they both have double-digit wins as NFL starters and they know the NFL game. No matter who starts the season, it’s a long year and if they’re both on the team, they’ll both play. If we keep them both on the roster, we increase our chances of finding a winner & cover our asses in case of an injury.

The consensus seems to be “release Leinart because he won’t accept 2nd string.” But why should Graves & Whiz make THAT decision any differently than the starting QB decision? Suddenly, they care about Matt’s feelings? They’d release him just to be nice? We’re not going to give Beanie Wells to Seattle just because we have Tim Hightower — so why should we let them have Leinart before his contract runs out?

Besides, can nobody imagine a scenario where Leinart continues to be angry with the demotion but determined to come back, and rescues the team mid-season after Anderson falters or goes down? It seems to me that if Matt hasn’t exploded already after 3+ years of waiting to get his job back, I don’t think another 5/6 weeks will seem the end of the world. If he stays, he will get a chance to play later this year, I have no doubt about that.

Two competent veteran QB’s and Whiz looks the gift-horse in the gullet. Don’t teams strive to have this situation like they strive to acquire a great OL or an elite pass-rusher? Whiz: “Go away, you tremendous advantage, I never wanted you anyway!”

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks for the cool blog.

73. By Kurt on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Crap

That was “most important POSITION,” not “decision”. Moderator, if y’all fix that gaffe I’m obliged…thanks

74. By tRiGiDy22 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

There is NO I in team. Like there is in LEI.I.I.I.Inart!! Lets GO BIGRED!!!!

75. By mikeso on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

WOW DARREN, Going hard on Green i likey! still me i have alot of trust in coach whiz and i really believe he knows exactly what hes doing. point blake period. like darren said look how it changed up there play against the bears. now if that hadnt happen. oh im pretty sure alot of people would be alot worried! IN WHIZ WE TRUST! good posting Darren. loved it!

76. By mikeso on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

————robert mason. WOW! thats all i can say to you.

77. By Judy on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Anyone with half a brain could see that the o-line were not doing their job in the first two games of this preseason.What i would like to know is why?
    About 3-4 weeks ago in an article in SI,Adrain Wilson was talking about Matt and that the team was 100% behind him.What has happened if anything to change that?
    Does anyone else smell a rat in this mess?
    Why was Anderson given so much more playing time in the first two games?
    If in fact some of the players are not happy with Matt,why not make them work it out together?
    it seems that the inmates may be running the funny farm.

78. By MIKEFLORIO on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

THANK YOU DRC FAN!!!!! I HAVE BEEN SAYING IT ALL THIS TIME EVERYTHING YOU JUST DID> AND AS A CARDS FAN IT FEELS GOOD TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE OTHER TRUE FANS OUT THERE THAT FEEL THE SAME WAY.EVERYONE THIS ENTIRE OFF SEASON HAS HARPED ON ME FOR EXPRESSING MY THOUGHTS AND CONCERNS. BUT DRC FAN IT FELT GOOD RIGHT? THOUGHT SO. LETS GO CARDS!!!
    OH AND BY THE WAY URB, I WAS AT THE AUTOGRAPH SESSION AND RED AND WHITE PRACTICE WAS THREE FEET FROM YOU SAID WHATS UP AND GOT BIGG TYMED BY YOU. THANKS URB.
    I WAS TOLD BY A FEW PPL THAT THE CARDS ARE GONNA SUCK AND DO SUCK THIS YEAR> IT WAS MUSIC TO MY EARS> TRUE CARDS FANS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!

79. By Xosder on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

“Let me ask you this: Whiz wants to dump Fitz and Dockett too? Because if they felt they weren’t going to win, why would they want to stay themselves?”

That’s actually one of my primary concerns about the whole thing!

And it may sound like a conspiracy, but again I don’t think it’s all that far-fetched. Firstly, we don’t know how influential the FO was in the 2007 decisions, a time when Whisenhunt hadn’t yet established as much pull with them or the fanbase. Also, the difference between the decisions in the past with Leinart and now are about $3 million annually for Whisenhunt. The urgency to win within the first 3 years as a new coach to get that extension are much higher when the Bidwills would have to eat $2.5-5 million by firing him 1-2 years early, vs $5.5-11 million under the extension. The former figures wouldn’t be easy for the Bidwills to swallow, but possible; the latter are simply never going to happen.

As you pointed out, Whisenhunt has an engineering degree, which involves a high concentration of math, and I’m sure these figures aren’t lost on him. They give him leverage, another concept an engineer is all to familiar with.

I’m not saying it’s the sole/primary reason for the decision, but saying it’s not possible as a factor is short-sighted. If he doesn’t believe he can win with either ML or DA, that they bring completely different skill-sets, but the sum total isn’t a big disparity in W-Ls (and the evidence is starting to mount for this perception), why would he risk ML having a breakout year, but the team still losing (a’la Rodgers having a good year, but Green Bay going 6-10 in 2008) and getting an extension for a QB that doesn’t have the “intangibles” he’s all of a sudden begun to stress after talking up his performance all off-season? He’d be stuck with Leinart for another 3-4 years, and that’s not something he wants, being he’s already soured on him this year, despite better on-field performance than Anderson.

80. By kyleb on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

In whiz my trust and respect are flying out the window my 10 year old handles situations with more respect and class than he is handling this situation. and how can you compare them equally when whiz starts anderson with a different Oline why not give him the same line that was in the first two games. matty is getting a raw deal and it might go beyond football like matty says. I will kiss this season goodbye if anderson is our starter.

81. By mrcardsguy on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

People are not remembering the start matt had last year against the titans he had a great game and showed all the fans he can be our starter our defence gave up that game.matt is the right. Man for the job give him his earning

82. By card62 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren Thank you for all of your articles and your willingness to debate with us fans.

Concerning the Engineer in the big office. I like him and want him to keep his job for many many years.
    Concerning Matt Leinart – I do not know if he is the answer for us or not at QB.

I have stated many times the engineer knows Matt Leinart much better than me and has worked with him for years. I would not have had a problem if the logical one would have given up on Matt in the offseason and went after some one like Bulger or McNabb. I agree neither one was available when we signed Derek Anderson but even I knew Bulger was going to be available and that Philly would shop a QB and who knows who else we could trade for.
    Darren the logical engineer did not do that. He stated Matt was his guy and brought in Derek Anderson as a backup. I said as a fan okay if Coach wants to give Matt 2010 I agree with that and we will see if we have a QB for the next decade or not. Preseason comes and the handling of the QBs in my opinion is anything but logical. Story of the preseason is our offensive line is playing very poorly, better in the Chicago game, but I do not think they even played well in that game, not opening holes for our running backs. My opinion with our line play if Kurt Warner was the starter and Matt the backup we would have a worse situation with Kurt on the bench for the Bears game and Matt being named the starter. (For the record I am a Kurt lover, believe he is a first ballot hall of famer and would take off work to travel to his house with Dockett and Fitz to try and talk him into coming back for 2010), Coach has not given Matt a fair shot this year, is handling the situation very poorly and I like most fans am frustrated. We should be building Matt up all preseason to have him ready and coach has not done this. Like I said I do not know if Matt is the answer or not, but coach has not helped him get ready to have a successful season at all. I actually feel sorry for Matt and find myself rooting more for his success now. Coach should call Russ Grimm into his office and blast him and his piglets for not getting the job done.
    Last question for you Darren. Who names the starters for the games? Position coaches or head coach? Especially our o-line.
    Card fans I know your frustrated but do not give up yet on this season. Our schedule is favorable and we have a lot of talent on this team and Coach Whiz is a very good coach. but he has made me scratch my head this preaseaon.

83. By chad d. on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DA reminds me of a former card by the name of jake plummer. dude throws too many picks. I’d love to see One of the younger guys Develop and let the other be back up and get rid of these two Fighting for the starting job right now.

84. By joe67 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Will everyone just take a chill pill. It’s gonna be alright. BIG DECISIONS TO BE MADE!! This team could go any where from 5-11 to 11-5. Maybe even 12-4 with some luck, or ANYWHERE inbetween. Let Coach get the lineup right from the start. I hope it will be Leinart, but will pull for whoever it is.
    Did you ever think maybe Wiz knows what he has in Matt, but doisn’t know about DA, thus the difference in playing time. Just be cool everyone, I’m looking at a 1-4 or 2-3 start, and 10-6 finish. Good enough for a 3-peat!!

85. By Magee on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Here’s clue number 1 from a football fan watching football since 1959. If Leinart can’t be successful in Arizona, it isn’t goin to happen anywhere. Since he is yet to prove he can be a leader at the Pro level, no one needs to worry about him leading any other team to a Super Bowl. When a positives out number the negatives and he makes big plays and decisions, the Cardinals will be competive. You talk about people like Farve going to another team and them being a contender. Leinart hasn’t led anybody anyplace yet at the Pro level!

86. By Brad ONeill on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I think Darren’s job is to deflect some of the crap. the cardinals are his employer he is doing his job when he toes the line.

87. By Sean on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

You are right about Bulger not being available at the time they picked up DA, but there was plenty of talk that the Rams were going to release him, so why not sit back & wait instead of rushing to pay 2-3 million for a career 51% passer…..Bulger has been very accurate when he’s able to stay upright which hasn’t happened much over the last 2yrs…Also, he’s towards the end of his career like Warner was, so if Matt didn’t workout, it would’ve given us 2-3yrs of stability at QB while making the transition to Skelton or Hall…I think Whiz is a great coach, but I’ve never understood is QB decisions going back to the Warner Leinart competitions, to not picking up Bulger & now possibly starting DA over Leinart. I’m not a Leinart fan, nor do I think he’s the answer, but Whiz should give him the chance he said he would back when he named ML the starter…After all, he’s had 4 years to evaluate the guy, so whiz should start em’ or trade em’.

88. By somewhere else on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Damn it all to hell!

The only team to beat us in the playoffs for the last two years has been the Super Bowl winner.

I agree with Erick: Coach Whiz is da biz!

How can we not trust his decision about who plays QB?!

89. By AZCARDS4LIFE on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I have come to the conclusion after obsessing about this topic of QB, that Coach Whiz would not put our Cardinals in a position to lose. Yes I would like to see Leinart take the reins. The reality is, 1 man does not make a team successful. The success for long term begins anew every year starting with draft day. So far, Whiz has done a great job motivating everyone on the team to play at a high level. “IN WHIZ WE TRUST” Remember. This was last seasons phrase that came into all of these blog posts. Where is the Love?

Thanks Darren for your patience with this QB issue that hopefully will have resolve soon.

90. By ChrisZ on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whiz hates Leinart, he always has, that has been pretty easy to see the last three years and nothing has changed. I firmly believe this season is just a holding pattern season until McNabb gets here next year (Whiz may wanna win, but he is not gonna let ML take the helm). It’s gonna crush hopes of the 3peat, but we will have a solid Qb for a couple years while we bring up a young one. I live in Redskin land and I am telling you McNabb is not going to sign here. So as much as I love my Cards, prepare for a rough season everyone, cause DA is gonna start and is gonna suck. Lord I hope I am wrong.

91. By CZarr on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Just listened to the Kurt Warner podcast. It seems even Kurt thinks Leinart should start. Although he didn’t say it directly, it was certainly inferred. I really hope Whiz knows what he’s doing.

92. By Starjock on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

When does the Depth Chart get updated? It still shows the fullback Broughton who got injured and replaced.

93. By RogerH on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

It was Matt who said he wanted an explanation for the apparent demotion and was confused about what was expected of him. The implication from Matt’s comments was clearly that he didn’t get an explanation. Now none of us really knows what was said and when or whether Matt got an explanation and didn’t want to hear it. But in fairness to all who were concerned about what happened there was no reason not to take Matt’s comments at face value in the absence of contradicting information. If Ken explained it to Matt and is just letting him vent in public without saying anything further about it, then I say good for Ken for bearing with a frustrated employee even though it may not look good for him.

Many if not most managers do have an open door policy but that is a separate issue (I am retired now but have a ton of experience in the managerial area). The truth is that none of us except Matt and Ken know what really was or wasn’t said.

Anyhow enough on this subject and ready to move ahead to football. Looking forward to seeing who is going to make the team, who will be the starters for the regular season and who we may trade or pick up after the cuts. A lot to anticipate.

94. By CashT1874 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

It will be interesting to see what happens come week 1. I’m a fan of winning, but it does look like ML has gotten the short stick from the Whiz. However, it’s more a mentality/toughness issue than it is a performance issue.

95. By CrazyLady25 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

If I were a Coach, and i had a QB who was a “whiner” (go to the press and say “i feel like I have played better than the competition…”), I would get rid of him right away.

Josh McDaniels traded Jay Cutler because he whined. He ended up getting Kyle Orton. Everybody thought he was crazy, but look now. Kyle Orton is a calming presence, and he did better than Cutler. Martz is now in Chicago and seems to be gravitating toward Dan LeFlouer.

Turns out josh McDaniels was absolutely correct.

DA is not the long term answer for us. That would be john Skelton. Last game, we had a 3rd & 12 and he went down field for 20+. That is the guy I want as my QB– decisive and does more than move the chains.

2 years from now, Coach Whiz will look like a genius.

96. By mike b on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

darren
    when will the other three guys who got cut be announced ive been waiti g for a while and it seems they are still deciding

97. By Chris Hill on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I just read on Profootballtalk.com that Derek is gonna be the guy on Thursday. Can you tell me if it’s true?

98. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

bird –

Who is Gary Anderson??? Is there a fifth QB now? Did I miss something???

99. By darren haters on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

so its come down to whiz just not liking matty, so he’s going to sh*t can the whole season… Really!!!!! This is all crap, i read these blogs everyday cause im stuck here in stiller nation where whiz got screwed because of the rooney rule. Im glad whiz is getting all this hate from the so called fans cause that shows me he’s really doing his job and is going to pick the best player for the job – not do what he’s suppose to. See i have faith in the coach cause i’ve been a fan for years and sure like the way things are now compared to how they were. Pick us a WINNER COACH, im on your side. Oh and thanks darren, keep up the good work… its cause of you i can follow my team better.

100. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Jeff —

True on the pro/anti-Anderson. And trust me, I can see where those sides are coming from too, although it just feels right now that this discussion is more about Matt and less about Anderson.

101. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

I don’t know if they’d cut him. Having a rookie backup is dangerous business.

102. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

What if Anderson breaks an ankle in the next couple of days? What if Deuce or Faneca gets hurt? We are not yet to the season. In in both Wells’ and Leinart’s cases, both could a) still start and b) could be kept as reserves. You may be right on Leinart, but again, until you get past that last game, nothing is cemented.

103. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Kurt —

Time is rushed right now, but basically the issue at QB is who you get rid of? The Cards like both Hall and Skelton, cutting one for the practice squad means you may lose him. And frankly, I don’t think Anderson or Leinart have blown anyone away. It’s not a great situation, and I’m not sure it was going to be.

104. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio —

Take a pill there with the all caps.

You’re a Cards fan yet you are happy with the idea the Cards will be bad? Interesting.

Finally, I said “What’s up” to you and that was big-timing you? We must have different definitions.

105. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Card62 —

Position coaches have a say, and I’d guess Grimm has a big say. But I’d guess Whiz signs off on everything.

106. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

What if the Rams had decided not to release him (that’s why they waited by the way, to force other teams to make moves and fill their rosters without him, especially a division rival like the Cards).

107. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Starjock —

I will get to the depth chart as soon as I can. Been some other things going on.

108. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

MikeB —

Waiting for that news now.

109. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

Whiz confirmed that earlier.

110. By Maarten Scholz on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Why is lombardi announcing leinart is certainly not starting (4 days ago)?
    Kinda weird no?

111. By Dre on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I knew this was going to happen when we signed Derek Anderson despite Whisenhunt going on record of naming Matt the starter. I don’t know why he came out and announced Matt the starter when we got Anderson. It would have been better if he just let them go at it from the start. I am not sold on Whisehunt…not even a little bit. I mean to say one thing and do another is not what a man does. It’s making more sense why Boldin had issues with him and we all know Boldin was a true football player who just wanted to win…opps traded him!?!?!? The Great Az exodus….hummmm!?!?!?

In 2007 Whisenhunt went back and forth with both Kurt Warner and Matt…starting one, then bring the other after halftime. He had the golden ticket right under his nose in Warner and didn’t see it until Warner took off in ’08 and what do you know, we were in the superbowl.

Now look at us, on every sport show, in every article doing the Cleveland Brown two step. We are backing up not moving forward and it is because our “In Whiz WE Trust” don’t make clear cut decisions and stand behind them. And I’m tried of him using this “compete” at every position excuse…its like it’s his side door escape route.

Come on y’all…do you really think he is not making a decisions to keep the Rams from knowing who the QB will be. Whiz can’t develop and evaluate QB’s and he uses the media as a way to communicate.

I’m not even going to get started on this undrafted rookie WR we are so blessed to have.

112. By Sean on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren —

Point well taken! What surprises me is that Bulger sat on the market for a while before the Ravens picked him up….Very similiar to what happened to Warner, who I think is a definite Hall of Fame candidate! I’m shocked he’s not starting somewhere, especially with some of the talent (or lack of) currently around the league at QB! These are the same people that thought Warner was washed up when he left the Giants….Which I actually thought Warner did a great job with the Giants…. when he was standing upright! Thanks for the great info Darren!

113. By Artie on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I am looking at what is going on with the QB situation and I am reminded of 2007 when Coach Whiz first showed up. There was a QB battle between Leinart and Warner, that battle actually last well into the regular season. The word from Coach Whiz then was he will do what ever it takes to win. He also said that he preferred Leinart in certain packages and Warner in the hurry up offense packages. It almost seemed like it was working (the averaged over 21 points the first 5 games). Then Leinart gets injured and out for the season. Warner took over and became the Warner we all love. Now that Warner is gone, is there a possibility that Coach Whiz is going to go back to a “Two Quarterback” system. We all know most teams are going to a two running back system. Teams like Miami and Philly run the Wild Cat. Could this be Coach Whiz bringing back his trickery?

114. By SierraVistaNick on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I’m guessing most of you are the ones I saw leave the stands last year at the home opener with 1:40 left on the clock and TD wins it! Oh yeah, we had the ball! How about supporting the team! It’s sad that many are just “spectators attending a sporting event”!

Clearly by all the comments about what should have been done, the front office will have no problem finding a new head coach! Get a grip people! We have know idea what was said, how it was said! And yeah, if the boss says we’re switching it up because what we’re doing isn’t working…the EMPLOYEE needs to ask the why’s! These guys are adults and holding their hand and making them feel better would take time away from real stuff, like planning to win games!

115. By Rick on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is a 2 face liar and we all know it. Its like your told your geting the promotion than the owners girl friend walks in and gets the job. Remeber Ray Malavasi went to a Superbowl too and Warner took Martz to a Superbowl.

116. By Duece on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Leinart is a high percentage passer that just doesn’t fit our system. Yards and not turning the ball over is all good, but scoring is how games are won and we just don’t put the ball in the endzone with him at qb!

117. By TBru on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

The Tennessee game, the Tennessee game is that Leinarts entire pedigree? That’s all I hear about the Tennessee game, that we lost.

Almost winning games, that’s where we were 3-4 years ago. I don’t want to almost a lot of games on the schedule.

118. By jengland on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Well it’s out in the open now and Leinart needs to be released or traded. Whiz is an idiot. I am glad that ML went public.

119. By robert mason on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

i cant believe this is what is being talked about, i want to talk about how the cards are going to win 3rd nfc west title thats all i care about. BEAT THE NINERS (HURT THEM BAD!!) OWN SEATTLE/RAMS AND MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, THATS ALL THAT MATTERS CARDINAL FANS. GIVE MATT A SHOT IN REAL GAMES AND IF NOT THEN TRY D.A. COME LETS GO!!!

120. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Artie —

I wouldn’t count on that.

121. By Nathan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

For Everyone who thinks Matt is getting a raw deal, I’d like to say remember that Matt Leinart has had what 3 years? To fix his footwork, get chemistry, be a leader, etc, If Whisenhunt hasn’t been seeing the progress he wants then eventually you’ll give up on him. Kurt Warner wasn’t given the job, it was still open competition.
    And I like Dereck Anderson, and anyone who thinks he’s bad is mistaken…He led the Browns to a 10-6 Record and made the pro-bowl….For the Browns people!! His accuracy ratings aren’t a true representation either considering the amount of dropped passes he’s had in Cleveland. Also another advantage to Anderson is his big arm, the defenses will have to cover deep, instead of being able to force short completions to check downs.

122. By Kurt on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the reply. it still doesn’t make any sense to me unless they’re ready to write this season off as a rebuilding year. I LIKE Hall & Skelton too, we all like them, but neither has taken a snap in a real game. If they cut Leinart then either we get very lucky/stay very healthy with Anderson, or we’re screwed.

This team is still good enough to take a kick at the can. Whiz owes it to the team veterans to not sacrifice this season’s playoff hopes for one future prospect at QB.

123. By tRiGiDy22 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

JUDY MATT LEINART IS GONE TIME 2 CANCEL THOSE SEASON TICKETS?? LOL I DIDNT THINK SO IT WAS ALL TALK… GO BIGRED

2. Aug 31, 2010: Whiz and Leinart May Have “Off-Field” Issues » Cardinals Gab