• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Calvin traded for fullback UDPATE with cuts

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2010 – 9:50 am

The Eagles have announced that the Cards have traded cornerback Jorrick Calvin to Philly for fullback Charles Scott. Not a surprise since fullback Nehemiah Broughton blew out his knee in Chicago. Nothing official from the Cardinals as of now, but since the Eagles have put it out there, I’m pretty sure it’s done. Like Calvin, Scott was a sixth-round draft pick this year. It looked like Calvin was a long shot to make the team anyway, so if Scott pans out, the Cards may have salvaged the pick.

Scott needs to beat out holdover Reagan Maui’a. Calvin fell behind the undrafted Marshay Green, so he was probably going to be a practice squad guy at best.

UPDATE: The trade has now been announced by the Cards. The team also has released TE Dominique Byrd, and OL Casey Knips and David Moosman. They also brought in WR Isaiah Williams. That’s the extent of the moves coming today; the Cards have until tomorrow to make three more moves to get the roster to 75.

Tags: , , ,

54 Responses to “Calvin traded for fullback UDPATE with cuts”

1. By Nicholas B on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m never a big fan of trading a guy we drafted this year who is a rookie…especially a CB, since Arizona is so thin at that position….but since he’s a longshot to make the team….may not be that bad of a trade…the Cardinals do need a fullback since there fullback got hurt…and he was drafted in the same round as Calvin….I’m glad they didn’t trade a future draft pick for him…and just traded somebody that may be cut…or a practice squad guy…

-Nick

2. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

From what I’ve read on Scott, he’s always been a running back and needs development on his blocking. Doesn’t sound like a true fullback.

3. By carlo7000 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

he looks fast to be a fullback

4. By TBru on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I am guessing both players were not going to make their respective teams, rather than risk having them hit the open market both teams filled a need with with a comparable skilled player. Sounds like a smart trade to me.

5. By Brandon on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Good move, we definitely need a man to open up some holes for the rbs.

6. By Chad on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

When Calvin was drafted I think we all knew he was a player who was going to need time to mature in the NFL game. I mean, what else can you expect from a guy who didn’t even play last year? Good trade and I think it will salvage the pick and fill an immediate need (we need a fullback more than we need a 6th DB).

7. By kingdiamond on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I have doubted that Jorrick Calvin would have made the team for awhile, so this is a good move even if Charles Scott ends up on the practice squad for insurance.

Calvin may turn out to be a diamond in the rough, but needs to much polish right now especially with the needs the team has in the backfield.

8. By trigidy22 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Charles Scott will fit us great GO BIGRED!! Later CALVIN u wont be missed!!

9. By card62 on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Interesting I thought the Cards were high on this kid. I was expecting us to search the waiver wire this week and especially next week for a full back.

‘Does anyone know anything about this Charles Scott?

10. By Ron on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

What are your thoughts on this guy Darren..Cannot find anything at all on this guy other than what the draft grade was on him. Doesnt sound like a good trade to me.Give up CB depth for a average FB. I think we should have waited for the cuts from other teams then picked up a better option. The jets are loaded with good ones ect..

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

As I wrote, Calvin was a long shot to make the team. You take a flier on Scott. Every team is always looking on the waiver wire to see if they can get someone better. This won’t change that.

12. By Brad ONeill on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

this is good for calvin as the eagles already made their first cuts so he atleast gets that far. It is good for us as it gives us another guy to work with at full back where we are very short. this doesn’t bode well for byrd.

I hate this part of the year. i wish they would just make the cuts and let me shed my tears for the bubble guys.

13. By Stuart on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

So what’s the word on Fitz getting a few rep’s in on thursdays game? Just curious cause I really never see coachs have starters in on the final preseason game.

14. By Deveau on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Does the organization have any concern over his weight to be playing FB. I see him listed at 238#. Broughton was 250#, and Maui’a is listed at 265#. He looks like a hard runner, but can he blow up a LB weighing what he does?

Kind regards,

Cris

15. By Carddan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

We just traded the 201st pick in the draft for the 200th. (four months after the fact) This addresses a need that was not predictable at the time. Good job Organization, I say.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

I don’t expect Fitz to play Thursday.

17. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

Again, don’t know anything about him yet.

18. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Ron, cards62,

Charles Scott played RB for LSU from 06 to 09 and in 08 he had 0ver 1000 yrds on 200+ carries in only 10 games. He lined up at times closer to line at FB but was more often in the I at TB. Scored 18 TD’s in 08 using power, deceptive speed and quickness. I think he can make a difference with the ball in his hands but could he be a willing blocker at FB is a good question. There were mock drafts showing him coming to the Cards so he was on the radar.

FB Reagan M was blocking at the ankles during the Chicago game but it was effective for the most part and in the 1st preseason game the kid had some good catches and RAC yards so he could be the guy at FB.

CB J Calvin has great footwork and speed including punt return skills the tough part is he had some issues catching the punts in practice thus never really getting a shot at PR. I think I saw CB J Calvin miss on a sure sack when he blitzed, I may be wrong but it was a corner. The Cards have alot of young talent at CB and someone will step up. CB G Toler is making his claim at pairing with CB DRC for a dynamic duo. CB M Adams held his own in Chicago making some plays, it’s hard to pull against him.

Could turn out to be a good move.

19. By Joel Makovicka on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Does this mean I don’t need to come in for a workout?

20. By mike b on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

In my own opinion I also thought Calvin wouldn’t make it, he was not that good with coverage and I never saw him on ST. So we still have to cut three people my guess is Palmer, Ford, and Jefferson. As you said I also agree that Mougey and Broughton (if spelled right) will be on IR I see Mougey replacing Morey’s spot on ST after he is off P.S ( I saw him on special teams alot)
    great read Darren keep up the great work, hopefully a vacation will come soon!

21. By Tyler now SC Tyler on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

My name has gone from Tyler to SC Tyler due to someone claimin the same name. Anyway.

I am pleased with the moves done so far. I hope Charles Scott tears some S#$% up for Beanie and Timmy.

I AM FREAKIN STOKED ABOUT THE REGULAR SEASON, BABY! GO CARDINALS! CARD RED FOR LIFE!

22. By Poopha on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Dennis McKinley out of prison yet?

23. By MikeV on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m curious — what’s the knock on Maui’a, if any? He didn’t stick last year, came back, left, etc…

Is this just competition? Or is there doubt in Maui’a getting it done?

24. By Jesse Robles on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Charles Scott comes from the SEC, Ken Whisenhunt really likes the SEC because of the competition from top to bottom. If you can be decent in this division, you have a chance to be looked at. I thought Charles Scott was a bit slow to be a RB, although at Louisiana State he was decent, should be good enough to make initial contact. On another note, I really like the way Tim was running on Saturday, notice how no one is crying about why Tim is starting. I am also happy we played good because some of these want-to-be fans(AKA GM’s) were getting ridiculous, stick to Madden.

25. By Jesse on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update. I am curious to know your thoughts on why we brought in another WR. It seems we are already deep at that position yet we still keep bringing guys in.

26. By mike b on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

darren btw does IR count against the roster or is that PUP? or both?

27. By Paul on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hmmmm, another wide receiver camp body just for Thursdays game. Sounds like something big may come down soon. Possible trade involving a established WR packaged with a another position player (QB) ? Just sounds odd to pick up a WR just for one game.

28. By jbird on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Charles Scott was a big fast bruising rb for LSU the past few season, he probobly would have been a 2-3 rd pick if he didnt break his collar bone the middle of his senior year. We def came out ahead in that trade

29. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

MikeV –

I think it’s both. Broughton would have been the guy — and Maui’a likely cut — had Broughton not gotten hurt.

30. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Jesse –

He’s probably just a body for the last preseason game. Don’t need Breaston doing the helicopter thing again.

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

PUP for the regular season does not count against the roster. Neither does IR.

32. By MikeG on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,Nice Blogs–What do you think of the 2 new rule changes this year and how it will effect the game?
    1–Umpire placement on O-side of ball??
    2-Both offenses getting a possesion in OT??
    I see the first one being a big deal affecting the speed of the game especially in hurry up mode.
    I also like OT the old way–its fun to see the D impact a game in OT!!!
    Example–Arizona Green Bay last year and Arizona Dallas
    the prevoius year with the blocked punt—those are special plays by the D that we won’t see again!!!!!

33. By MattAz on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe it. Moosman, just… gone…

34. By Dan Kreider on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Any reason why I wasn’t brought back? Thought I had a pretty good year last year…

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

1– Hurts the offense.
    2 — That’s only in the playoffs.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

You had some physical issues. Too much of a risk.

37. By TBru on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

If Charles Scott doesn’t work out, we still have an experienced Darnell Docket who can play some fullback

38. By Flood on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

MikeG-
    Those Defensive plays still end an OT. The only change in the rule is if the first team to have the ball kicks a field goal the other team gets a possession to match or get a TD. If team 2 matches FG, next score wins.
    If the first team scores a TD game over.
    If the D gets a turnover and it goes for TD, game over.
    If the D gets the turnover and their offense settles for a field goal, game over. So everything is pretty much the same in OT except when team 1 kicks a field goal (ala NO Saints NFC Championship Game).
    And as Darren said, only effects the playoffs.

Did I mix that up at all?

39. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Flood –

Looks right to me. But I am tired.

40. By Dan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Nice wasted draft pick…….AGAIN. Sure we have some nice picks but we miss a lot on our picks as well. I thought Jorrick was a wasted pick when we drafted him, like most of us.

41. By Eazy E on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Charles Scott is from LSU and is a power back. I think if he can block, he should be a much better addition than calvin. Calvin didn’t get great playing time and on the td against chicago, didn’t turn his head on the fade route which will get you beat every time.

42. By Justin on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

What do you know about Isiah Williams? Besides being an x-Steeler, what do you see his role being with the Cardinals?

43. By Ben on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Can you have the front page poll changed to “Who do you “want” to start opening day?

Instead of “think”

Would be interesting to see where the fans stand on this one.

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Justin –

Honestly, probably as a guy to get them through the last preseason game before he is cut.

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

Why, that’s what these comments are for.

46. By johnnybluenose on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

i say we put deuce in at fullback. or stevie baggs.

47. By mchnwlh on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I know a fair amount about Charles. He actually played high school football with my son. He was rated as one of the top running backs in Louisiana when he came out and started for LSU at RB part of his Junior and all of his Senior year. Charles played linebacker and rb in high school and probably was as good of a linebacker as he was a rb. He always gave a 100 plus percent in sports, academics, etc and is a good team player. He was projected as one of the top RB prospects going into his senior year of college but got injured. He doesn’t shy away from the hit and could be dangerous when touching the ball from the fullback position. He also has pretty good hands.

2. Aug 30, 2010: Jorrick Calvin / Arizona Cardinals trade for fullback from Philadelphia Eagles | Sporty Twits
  3. Aug 30, 2010: Cardinals Release Three; Sign WR Isaiah Williams | The Other 31
  4. Aug 30, 2010: Byrd, two others waived by Cardinals | Fantasy Demon
  5. Aug 30, 2010: Byrd, two others waived by Cardinals » Feed Me Fantasy
  6. Aug 30, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  7. Aug 30, 2010: Cardinals Release Three; Sign WR Isaiah Williams « Acrylic Sports
  8. Sep 14, 2010: Score Board