• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Lineup unchanged, so Anderson starts

Posted by Darren Urban on August 31, 2010 – 2:16 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was less about Derek-Anderson-is-starting-the-preseason-finale and more about the-lineup-overall-did-well-last-game-so-why-change today, but still, that means Anderson will start the preseason finale, and, you know, we’ll go from there.

Among other practice news today, the biggest was the venue. The Cards were at ASU’s Dickey Dome today for the first of what looks like many, with Whisenhunt calling it a “dry run” to see how the Cards could use a practice bubble (although the coach said he “underestimated” the need for a bubble when he first arrived in Arizona).

The injury list was the same. Of the guys on the sideline, I don’t expect WR Andre Roberts (shoulder), RB Jason Wright (toe) or RB LaRod Stephens-Howling to play Thursday. No reason to risk anything.

Whisenhunt did address his talk with Matt Leinart yesterday afternoon, saying that “they touched base on where everything was.” Whiz said he feels the coaching staff has been consistent through the years in how they communicate with players and Whiz added he was comfortable with that process. But “there must have been some breakdown because he didn’t hear what he wanted, but hopefully we got that cleared up yesterday.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

73 Responses to “Lineup unchanged, so Anderson starts”

1. By Steve on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I heard speculation that one of the things Whiz asked for in his new contract, was the construction of a indoor practice facility for the Cards. Can you confirm that? What have you heard on the possible construction of an indoor facility?

2. By carlo7000 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

darren
    update the depth chart on the site

3. By Matt on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

you said things were looking good for Anderson the other day, big step coming from a team official like you. Now I’ll ask, do you think a Leinart trade gets done soon? We can’t just release him, Giants need a QB after Sorgi just went down for the year.

4. By Nick Pepe on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I think his future in Arizona is bleak and I would be surprised if he is a Cardinal when the season starts. I am curious to see how he responds to this announcement. I hope you can get a word from him.

5. By LadyCard04 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Boy, I don’t envy you being in the middle of the qb controversy…

Any news of other cuts or trades? Do you know when they will be announced?

Again, thank you for all your hard work.

6. By Dylan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

man man man man idk this is just so much lol let the season just start so we can find out who the god dang qb is lol

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

That’ll be the lead of the notes in a bit on the homepage. I’ll say this — nothing big is going to happen until after the labor situation in the NFL is figured out.

8. By TBru on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

hopefully the bubble wasn’t built by the same people as in Dallas.

9. By MikeV on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I thought cuts were at 1pm today for some reason, to 75…

10. By DR on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I know we have beaten this up ten different ways, but lend me your thoughts to if leinart isnt the start game one. Does he stay? I dont think the cards will keep 4 qbs with the depth at lb so low. This is just speculation but i dont see matt acting mature and taking the back seat the whole season either. If he is freaking out now what is it going to be like when the season starts? Thank you for your time!

11. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DR –

Don’t know if he stays. As for how Matt is going to feel, that’s TBD.

12. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Matt –

Whoa there. I am anything but a team official. I might talk to people from time to time, but I’m not sitting in any meetings. Kent Somers and I are doing the same kind of digging.

As for a trade, as far as I can tell, they aren’t shopping anyone right now.

13. By AnquanStandsUp on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

How long can Whisenhunt perpetuate this lie? Going with a newcomer who hasn’t started over an established player who’s shown he can ball? Going on preseason stats instead of past legacy? Is salary involved?

How on Earth can Whiz start Daryl Washington over Monty Beisel?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard –

Just posted the other roster moves.

15. By Brandon on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

None of this situation with Leinart makes sense to me. What has he done to take away a chance to start in a regulr season game. I’ve watched all the pre-season games so far and him taking care of the ball seems to be ok to me. I’m afraid when I see Anderson miss WIDE open receivers and force balls into coverage. I’m afraid if Whiz picks Anderson we’re all gonna wishing we had stuck with Leinart.

16. By Nick Pepe on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

@ Dylan, I think we just found out who the QB is. Time to move on and look forward to the Rams.

17. By DR on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Cards are rocking the black jerseys this thursday right? And one last question, any news or talks about FB position. Are we going to try and stay in house or possibly pick up a vet? Kreider isnt playing because of injuries and durability issues correct? Thanks again, Im just worried about a lead blocker for timmy and beanie.

18. By Mrbyte on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    what did Whiz mean by this comment do you think?

19. By Nick Pepe on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

@ AnquanStands..have been following preseason at all? Stat wise Matt has been better. So decision is based on intangibles and DW has been all over the field.

20. By Thomas77 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStandsUp,

I’m not Darren but, what exactly do you think Whisenhunt is lying about? Not sure any of your “points” actually make any arguments….

21. By Help on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Well hopefully ML does GREAT this weekend & shows more leadership & control of the team!!

AnquanStandsUp– Really?? Seriously?? Beisel is not even Comparable to Washington!! Washington has STOOD OUT & been where the balls most of the time he’s played, Beisel will be lucky to make the 53 man roster

22. By David Parra aka A true Arizona Cardinals Fan! on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren honestly….. who do you think should start? We have not asked you this.

23. By Collin on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Whisenhunt has to be testing Matt to see how well he can step up to adversity, and honestly, I don’t blame Matt one bit for getting upset. This is in the NFL, there is no reason to play games with grown men. I believe in the meeting yesterday, Coach and Matt talked about stepping up to adversity and becoming more of a leader, which I am sure we will see against Washington on Saturday.

Also, what are the chances Max Komar makes the team. This guy has been killing it all preseason, except when Mike Jurecki kills him!

24. By Stuart on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Well I think Matt just showed a little growth in professionalism with the fact he didn’t go spouting his mouth off about his and Whiz’s private conversation. So thats a plus in my eye’s toward Matt. I still think what Coach is doing is not the best decision for the team at all, but thats my opinion. I really hate waiting to see who the QB is going to be though. Hopefully it will be settled friday after the game and Whiz doesn’t pull a Brett Farve (I know I spelt that wrong lol) and keep everyone waiting.

Darren-

So will both Matt & Derrick be playing with first string this preseason game like coach had them do last game? Plus wierd question but from what you’ve seen since yesterday has Matt been a little calmer since his conversation with Whiz?

Thanks Darren

LET LIENART PLAY COACH!!!!!!!!

25. By kyleb on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

So like whiz said washington wont be playing many starters ,so there is really no further qb evaluation and he is saying anderson is the starter. I am going to laugh so hard when he has two pics and leinart gets another td with no turnovers. and then he should look at whiz and say trade me im not going to play for you.then we will be stuck with DA and everybodys blind devotion to whiz . I just wish i could have seen him walk on water when everybody else did

26. By Renee Beran on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

My husband & I were so excited when we got one of our favorite college quarterbacks!!!! Now unfortunately we are very disappointed with the decisions being made concerning Leinart. How can you develop your quarterback and get results if he doesnt play? You cant expect any quarterback to come off of the bench & perform the way Warner did when he was here! We want Matt to have a better chance & to start for us this year!!!! He is our quarterback & I for one am sick & tired of our sports teams getting rid of our good players & getting mediocre replacements!!!

27. By BP on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

ML needs to get out of AZ and away from Whisenhunt.He has never been given the fair shake needed…..people talk about his maturity…obivously they have no clue the great work he does with his Foundation.Not many NFL players his age that have been screwed over still giving back to the Community like he does!!Seems like Whiz has a personal issue with ML!

28. By Mr. Know It All on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStandsUp,

Rookie ILB D Washington had 13 tackles his 1st game in preseason. In nine games played in 2009 ILB Monty B has 8 tackles. Yes Monty B is only a special teams type, backup at best. I would be more surprised if ILB Monty B even makes the team. There are younger players with more upside but we will see. Then there is ILB Pago T whom the team keeps bringing back. Can’t keep them both maybe neither.

The rookie won’t play like one and ILB P Lenon is ready to start and ILB G Hayes should be (BACK) stronger than ever.

To carlo7000

The depth chart right now is a guess at several positions so even if Darren updates info, it’s still not for sure. I’ll wait for the final 53 man roster and go from there.

Go Cards

29. By phxenfield on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for all the updates. I read your articles religiously. I am a huge cards fan and I really wish Whiz would just come out and say what he is thinking sometimes. He has some Belichick in him in that regards. The things I have seen so far I would choose ML over DA. ML has been reserved in the preseason so far but I has not had time to throw the ball either.

30. By Thomas77 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

When are you guy’s doing the Underground and are there plans on doing a BRR this week with the game on Thursday?

31. By Paul on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStandsUp-you’re not calling Matt Leinart an established player are you? Established as a backup maybe. He hasn’t proven he can start in what, four years of training camps and three seasons?
    I agree with you on Beisel, though….Monty is always around the ball causing trouble.

32. By Stuart on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

So did Matt talk to the press at all today after practice?

33. By ruben on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

do you guys remember da last year in cleveland he really suck big time is going to be a long season

34. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DR -

I know your question was to Darren, but I’ve wondered about the same. Just my opinion, but I think if the team chooses Anderson over Leinart come opening day, there’s just no way Leinart can stay here. Why would he? And I think there’s no way the team would even want to keep him. Why would they? He would be beyond miserable, and the team will basically have admitted point blank that they just don’t think he can play well enough to be their guy. Do you honestly think he could open another season here as the back-up QB, still waiting for his chance to play? I can’t see Leinart OR the team rolling with that…

And regarding a trade, i wonder how that plays out…the Cardinals draft this guy with the 10th pick in the draft a few years ago and they basically admit ( IF they go with Anderson ) that he’s not their guy and he’s not in their plans. So…what does that do to his value??? Even if another team really wanted him, they’ll know that the Cardinals HAVE TO get him out of town and if they know that, then what do they really have to offer in return? IF Leinart isn’t starting for this team, it might be best for everyone involved if they just release him. That way everyone can just move on with no distractions. Either way, it’ll be kinda’ sad…it’s kinda hard to be a Leinart fan when he’s hardly played here, but I’ve never had anything against him, either. I’ve been in his corner and would still love to see it work out for him with the Cardinals, but…it doesn’t look like it’s going that way.

35. By Andre on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

LOL AnquanStandsUp

36. By KEN on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I just hear on KTAR that there were shopping Matt around. Don’t know how true that is with the likes of Gambo and ash.

37. By Jones from IL on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Show me a football player who is a whiner, and I’d show him the door. I like the “team first” kind of player. On the other hand ML was lead to believe this was “his” team, since Kurt retired, and ML has waited a long time behind KW. ML knowing the playbook inside and out should have stood out in practice – did he Darren?

38. By Dylan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

darren-

ven KURT WARNER him self said matt leinart didn have enough opportunities to seize the position whats that saying about this decision?

39. By Bill L on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Jay Glazer is reporting the Cards have made contact today with several teams….actively shopping Matt Leinart. He speculates that the most the Cards can get is a 6th round pick. If they’d trade him for that, they will cut him for sure, if they can’t get a 6th. No mention as to which teams the Cards have contacted…..just Several. Let’s Guess…..Bills…..Clev…..are probably the biggest candidates. OAK is always in the ballgame, trying to do a Plunkett reprise. DEN, only maybe….they gave Orton a 9 Mil 1 year extension, but only have Quinn and Tebow….Quinn is a waste, it just depends on where they think Tebow is. Outside, how about Minn…..Favre is good for a year if that long, they want a title, 1 atleast, and the backups they have won’t get it for them.

40. By Former Steeler Fan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

If I were Leinart, as soon as Whiz announced that Anderson would start against the Rams (which he will probably do), I would ask for a trade (and, continue to make it an issue until it was done).

Otherwise, Leinart’s chances of becoming a starting QB for any team in the NFL is essentially over (unless Anderson is injured early in the season and Matt shines).

I am not a “Matt lover”, but I don’t believe that he is being treated fairly. Check the stats.

41. By BigRedFan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Anquan stands up-

L.O.L !!!!!!!!

42. By Ira on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I really hope Leinart starts. I don’t trust Anderson, and he hasn’t played all that well this preseason, and his body of work isn’t really that good. This whole thing has me feeling unsettled about this season.

43. By Dylan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Matt is a guy who hasn’t played in a while, a young guy, still growing into the position. There was no way you can expect him to come out and do the things that I have done, especially right away.” here are kurts word exactly

44. By CaRdS aLL dAy EvErY dAy on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

he can start daryl washington because he is the better player..

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

DR –

They may look at a vet, but Maui’a might be the pick for now.

46. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Mrbyte –

I think it came out kind of wrong. I just think he meant Leinart didn’t get all the info he wanted.

47. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Everyone –

Pay attention to AnquanStands’ comments. He’s being sarcastic. That’s him. He’s having fun.

48. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

David Parra –

Seriously no one asked me? Have you been reading the comments?

49. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Collin –

Komar has a chance.

50. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

They will both play little, I think. Lot of Hall and Skelton, I think. As for calmer, Leinart didn’t meet with the media, so I don’t know.

51. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

On a short week, probably will have neither. Back to work next week.

52. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

53. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Jones –

I thought he has been fine in practice, on par with Anderson. But I have never been great at judging practices.

54. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

It’s Kurt’s opinion. But his opinion is the same as any other outsider anymore.

55. By Suzanne on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I am frustrated with the quarterback situation and quite frankly frustrated with Coach Whisenhut. He is not presenting himself as a team leader by “toying” with both Leinart and Anderson. It is becoming more evident that he has an issue with Leinart and the issue is not to do with his performance. Leinart finally spoke up and wanted to know what the issue is and the coach gives the coy response of “…my door is always open…” The way I see it is the coach is the boss and the players are the employees. It is the coach’s responsibility to help the players grow, and let them know what is expected of them, what the issues are. If there is an issue he should be addressing it in a straightforward manner. It is becoming apparent that this is not the case where Leinart is concerned. As professionals we do not have to like everything about our co-workers or employees, but it is not right to undermine their success because of seeing life from different angles. Everyone is looking to Leinart to step up and be the next leader, but perhaps it is the coach that needs to step up and do some leading.

56. By Bryan on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

If Matt ends up getting cut or traded or even stays(based on his attitude towards Whiz it seems like rather than keeping him as a #2 it makes more sense to let him go), do you think it will be due to the notion he is playing to not make mistakes or because the locker room/attitude/Whiz relationship issues?

Kyle Orton isn’t known for his talent or his deep ball but he is known for his ability to move the chains and not make stupid mistakes. He’s won games for multiple teams…it seems Leinart has those same skills but is possibly lacking in the leadership department.

Based on his performance last year in the Titans game and his pre-season performance when compared to Anderson’s history(one of the leagues worst QBs). You would have to say there is no reason to start Derek Anderson over Leinart. So it has to be something else that Leinert is doing to essentially get himself cut and run out of town by Whiz.

He hasn’t looked “happy” or excited to finally be the Cards QB all pre-season.
    Does he simply need a change of scenery to be able to succeed?
    I really get the feeling that under a Pete Carroll etc he would regain some of that old Leinert moxy.

57. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

We will see if Leinart can succeed, whether it is here or somewhere else. As for your original question, I think it’s a little of everything.

58. By tRiGiDy22 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

bREAKING NEW THIS JUST IN MATT LEINART JUST GOT TRADED FOR A 6TH RD PICK IN 2025 RIGHT AROUND THE TIME HE WOULD DEVELOP AS A QB

59. By Marco on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Im hearing talk of trading leinart which i think is really unfair……he hasnt really been given a fair opportunity. i think, as matt said he hasnt played bad at all and he should be the starter!!

if he is traded il be really disapointed, as i think he has the potential to do well for this team.

60. By cardsalltheway on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

DR
    The reason Matt is “freaking out” is because he has been stabbed in the back by Whiz. I don’t blame Matt at all, he was told(I remember hearing Whiz say something to the affect that “Matt is our guy”) he would be the starter after Warner retired. Coaches shouldn’t lie or play with words.

61. By cardsalltheway on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I’m not a Pac 10 fan either, I prefer the Big 10(of course the number 10 doesn’t mean much anymore). Nor am I a big Matt fan, but I can see Whiz for what he is.

62. By moto11 on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, At the beginning of pre-season Whiz said that the wasn’t going to be playing Leinart much. It seems that the media has blown this pre-season thing in to a huge mess and Leinart, unfortunatly, bought into the media hype of a battle and opened his yap. I think that Anderson needed the pre-season snaps to become familiar with the system (who wants a backup that doesn’t know the system). If leinart just cools his jets and plays well I still see him as our starter. Does this make sense with what you know of Whiz?

63. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Leinart enjoy the Bills,Giants,Raiders cause were done with u!!! An Jimmy Johnson didnt have too even put a fork in u to know u were done!!! Thank God the nightmare is O V E R

64. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Moto11 –

With news leaking about possible trades, it seems more likely Leinart’s time in Arizona could be ending than him being a starter.

65. By AnquanStandsUp on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Darren.
    Just trying to bring a little levity into a decision that has taken over the preseason.
    Now about that proposed Leinart for McNabb trade….

66. By Sergio on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Cardinals-first guy, so I will root for whomever the Cardinals put out there. In spite of this, however, I am very disappointed in how Whisenhunt has handled Leinart this offseason. The offense was AWFUL last off-season, and Warner was even frustrated by it, but it did not translate to the regular season when game-planning was involved and the games were for real.
    Now, Leinart has a QB rating of 110.3 (and no, I am not saying the QB rating is the end-all, be-all), but from what I have seen, he has not made a lot of decision errors the way Anderson has. Anderson has 2 interceptions, and could easily have had 2 or 3 more due to poor choices, or just plain awful throws.
    The first series against the Bears even could have easily ended tragically at midfield when TWO Bears had their hands on an Anderson pass.

67. By Ron on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

The problem I’ve always seen with Leinart is that he doesn’t stretch the field. He is always looking for the outlet who is wide open on the flat or short over the middle… rarely willing to throw it downfield. When he does throw it longer, he tries to feather it in, rather than put any zip on it. No wonder no one has any confidence in his ability to move this team. Frankly, the best QB on this team is Max Hall. Looks like a young Kurt Warner or Dan Marino. I would personally like to see him as the starter for this team.

68. By Sergio on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Continued…
    Leinart, in 3 series, should have had 2 touchdowns. And even the Bears announcers thought the Beanie Wells fumble would be overturned because they saw from the one view on the football side that his knee hit the ground before the ball did.
    Unless there is something going on that we don’t see in the clubhouse, I can’t see how it is NOT Leinart’s job.

Sergio.

69. By Judy on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Suzanne: I think you are right on here.It looks at this point as if he is letting some of the players run the team.Not a good thing to look forward to for the next few years.
    Darren: Do you think Wiz will even let Matt play tomarrow night? He would be taking a chance of him getting hurt.Not good if they are trying to trade him.

70. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Judy –

If there is truly a trade brewing, they may not play him.

71. By WHIZFORPRESIDENT on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Do you fans not realize what D.A can do with weapons? He is a pro bowl QB. I think Whiz made the right move for now. Linert obivously wasnt getting what he needed to get done with the 1st team. hopefully this will light a fire under his ass and he’ll “earn” the starting spot. do you think linert will be able to overcome this adversity and win the starting spot darren? cause he sure seemed to step it up last week..

72. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

WhizFor –

I don’t see Leinart starting here. Not anymore.

73. By ccdate@gmail.com on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply