As Leinart departs

Posted by Darren Urban on September 4, 2010 – 3:15 pm

The day the Cardinals drafted Matt Leinart, then-coach Dennis Green proclaimed the fact Leinart dropped to the team’s 10th overall selection as a “gift from heaven.” Then Leinart’s first two starts – close losses to the Chiefs and Bears (the Monday Night Meltdown) that Leinart should have won had the team held up – showed so much promise.

It never quite materialized, though.

Blame it on sitting behind a probable Hall of Famer. Blame it on coach Ken Whisenhunt’s arrival. Blame it on Leinart’s inability to seize the moments he was given, or the opportunities some fans think he never got. Doesn’t matter. Leinart is an ex-Cardinal now.

I do think this: If Leinart was better on the field, he’d be here. That sounds so general, but it’s true. The basic, fundamental reason Deuce Lutui is going to be starting at guard – after missing all the offseason and showing up well overweight – when Reggie Wells was traded after doing everything asked of him this summer? They think, in the end, Deuce is a better player.

They didn’t think Leinart was a better player than Derek Anderson. It was close – close enough that the other stuff comes into play, the stuff Whisenhunt declined to get into publicly Saturday and probably never will. The coach insisted no players had input in this decision (he was specifically asked about Larry Fitzgerald) and brought up again that stats aren’t everything.

Explaining some of the things he liked about rookie Max Hall – now the No. 2 QB – and Whiz noted, “There are a number of things you try to judge the quarterback position other than his completion percentage.”

Leinart couldn’t show Whisenhunt something for which he was looking. Whisenhunt likes to treat his quarterbacks like they are any other player on the team, a tight end or an inside linebacker. I’m not sure that works for Leinart. There is a reason Leinart clicks so well with Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, his boss in college at USC. Leinart didn’t react well to his recent demotion, and whether you think Whisenhunt was fair to judge him on that or not, the bottom line is that Leinart should have known his coach well enough by now to know what was expected.

This wasn’t just about this preseason. Bottom line, the memory of his brief stint in Chicago last year lingered. Or the fact the Cards went through the Rams like butter in St. Louis behind Kurt Warner last season, and once Warner was concussed, the Cards suddenly couldn’t score with Leinart. There were other moments, I’m sure.

Whisenhunt insisted Saturday he thought Leinart could play. He just obviously couldn’t play for the Cardinals.

Leinart will sign somewhere else. Everyone will see whether Whisenhunt made a big mistake, or just cut his losses. In the meantime, Whiz has gone with Anderson, no sure bet, and backed him up with coaching staff favorite Hall, the rookie brimming with confidence.

“He’s not the second coming at the position,” Whisenhunt said of Hall, “but he’s done some good things. … He’s probably mad he’s not the starter. He’s definitely not afraid.”

Hall, actually, bluntly said “absolutely” the other night when I asked if he was comfortable being the backup if needed. I’m not sure that was ever an edge Leinart possessed. Maybe that could have helped. Whether Hall can translate it to success on the field, well, that too will be judged.

Leinart has already been judged, at least here. He’s not the first first-round quarterback to wash out nor will he be the last. Whisenhunt said both sides needed a fresh start. Of everything said and written in this whole saga, that is the point of which I am the most sure.

Tags: , , , , , ,

160 Responses to “As Leinart departs”

1. By Derek on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

It had to be done. Leinart can not lead this team. I do think Anderson will surprise this year, dome stadium, out of the cleveland winters. One word, Larry Fitzgerald.

Additionally, I think we’re all impressed with Max Hall. I see more potential in him than I do Leinart. No question.

2. By Don't Take Losses on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good post-mortem analysis. Whiz’ gut feeling rules.

Meanwhile, boy does that Derek Anderson have a gun on his shoulder!

3. By Sedona Chris on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good luck, Matt, on your future endeavors

4. By Tim ANdreas on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I remember jumping up and down with excitement when we drafted Matt. Ive always felt he didnt get his chance, due to injury, Kurt, whatever. I expected more fire from him, with this being his shot. But, it wasnt there. I trust Whiz, and still believe the Cards are a top team. That being said, I wish matt the best of luck, and hope he goes on to prosper!!!!

5. By Tamera on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I was always bothered watching him on the sidelines. He didn’t seem engaged. Seemed more like a battered spouse. Really poor body language. He seems like a great guy and I hope he finds a place where he feels really good about being there. I think he has some football left to play where he feels more confident. Good luck, Matt!!

6. By johnnybluenose on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

matty, we hardly knew ye.

7. By Rich Williams on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

His nickname should be Easy Money. Millions of $$ for standing on the sideline and occasionally coming into the game to throw an interception or two. Bye bye Matt. You won’t be missed.

8. By Donnie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

No matter how i personally feel about how this was all handled ..I still Trust In WHIZ!
    if he thinks DA is the best man for the job then i have to go along with it no matter what i think.
    Whiz took us to the big show and all i have is hindsight ..lol
    So Lets get it going DA *slight sigh*

9. By Nick Pepe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I look forward to Sunday. Man, 40 years of this and still feels like Christmas morning every year. Must start strong, with a statement . Go Big Red! Thanks Darren great work this week.
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    P.S. Dear Matt, even my wife said you look scared. Gotta wanna be there bro. Best of luck.

10. By OLdude on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s hard to believe that at some point this year the coaching staff didn’t at some point communicate to Matt that they were unhappy, needed more vertical passing, wanted to see some fire/caring . If they did and he didn’t respond to their coaching/wishes then his release is warranted. If they did not communicate their unhappiness with the position , the responsibility rests squarely on them. If he tried to accommodate them and didn’t, then the reason for the failure was either his talent level OR the coaches game plan was lacking. If the former, then his release was justified, if the latter, then it wasn’t and he is a scapegoat. In any event, everyone has an opinion and it will be a matter of time as to whether the release was a good o bad move.GOOD LUCK TO YOU MATT AND TO THE 2010 CARDINALS!

11. By Ken Caden on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren great article,

I think coach whiz is just what the Cardinals need, a coach that doesnt discriminate the player position for the team. He is a true hard nose coach. I love it. Matt will be better off somewhere else so he can be spoiled and talked too like a premadonna he is. You said it darren when given his opportunity to shine he produced nothing. he should off raced down that field and scored consistently with ease by now.
    he had 4 years to think about it. I support the coach.

12. By Dre on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

- Darren

The first thing & I emphasize the FIRST thing Mike Holmgren did as the President of the Cleveland Browns was to trade Brady Quinn & cut Derek Anderson. Mike Holmgren is a well respected football guy who won a superbowl with Green Bay as a coach & took the Seahawks there as well. It is safe to say he has a great football mind. U have to ask yourself why did he do that. Here we go, bringing in a throw away & putting our entire s…eason in his hands…Oh I forgot, and two rookies, now that’s SEXY. Can anyone tell me when a QB that was cut came to a new team and was successful…please give me one example.

Yeah Matt didn’t turn out like we hoped but he could of got the job done this year if they would of stuck with him & got help with the running game & a good defense. Whisenhunt said and I quote “This process was not about two weeks into camp or two preseason games, It was a complete body of work over a period of time.” If they weren’t sold on him after Kurt retired, then they should made a move at that point. They could of got something in return & brought in a better replacement for Kurt Warner. It looks like the whole “Matt as the starter announcement” was just a smoke screen for Anderson to be Kurt Warner’s replacement…that’s a scary thought. It’s like your girlfriend or boyfriend coming home from work on a friday & picking a fight because she or he had plans for the night which didn’t include YOU.

13. By BigRedFan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, good wishes to Matt wherever he lands. I rather like Anderson, and think there is more potential with him than folks like to think.

Either way . . . .

Here comes the 2010 season. . . .

and St. Louis. . . .

LETS GO CARDS!!

14. By Chris B on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

As all of this unfolds, I began wondering about the starters on our team and where they were drafted.

Of the 22 starters (11 offense and 11 defense) 8 were picked by the Cardinals in the first 3 rounds
    Larry Fitzgerald- Rd1*
    Adrian Wilson- 3*
    Gerald Hayes- 3* (not starting, so place Washington here is you want)
    Levi Brown- 1*
    Duece Lutui- 2*
    DRC- 1
    Calaias Campbell- 2
    Darnell Dockett- 3*
    * = Not drafted by this staff

6 were draft 4th round or later:
    Greg Toler- 4
    Brandon Keith- 7
    Ben Patrick- 7
    Lyle Sendelien- Undrafted
    Steve Breaston – 5
    Tim Hightower- 5

The others (8) were not drafted by the Cardinals (Porter, Haggans, Faneca (who replaced Wells, an original 6th round pick), Rhodes, Lenon, Anderson, Robinson and the FB Mauia)

But other notables drafted by this team late: LaRod Stephens-Howling (7), Max Hall (Undrafted), Steven Williams (Un), Kenny Iwebema (4), Gabe Watson (4*), Reggie Walker (un), Will Davis (un), Marshay Green (un) and AJ Jefferson (un).

And Early Doucet (3) and Beanie Wells (1) could be added to the “starters” list simply because of their reps but for this list, I’ll leave them off.

And the biggest bust so far of Whisenhunts drafting? Cody Brown, 2nd round pick from last year who spent his first year sidelined with an injury. Obviously we don’t know about Washington, Williams or Roberts from this year just yet. That’s not too bad all things considered. History says we can trust these guys to make good decisions about our players.

Sorry if some of the rounds are off but I know I’m close. The only position not addressed by this staff, except Brown, has been OLB, our biggest weakness at this point. Next year, I see them filling this need. And you can trust they find a real gem too.
    Like the saying goes, “In Whiz We Trust.”

15. By AnquanStandsUp on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s over. Whether fans agree with it or not, Leinart’s not coming back, time to back the QBs that are here.
    If my research is correct, Hall would only be the third rookie QB backup in Arizona Cardinal history.(Disregarding the Tom Tupa/Timm Rosenbaugh Phoenix Cards era.) Josh McCown behind Jake Plummer in 2002 and Stoney Case second string to Dave Krieg in 1995.
    In 2002 the Cards went 5-11 and in 1995 4-12.(Not that I’m inferring any correlation.)

16. By its_mcgirt on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

well he tried..its time to move on and focus on winning with DA under center. i trust in the whiz lets go go cards shut the 4whiners up.

17. By TucsonTim on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

At least Leinart will leave here with a few million in the bank. He’ll probably land on his feet some where. I feel bad for the other guys who got cut. Hope they have the means and the spirit to pursue their dreams.

18. By Joe-B on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz using a different offensive system seems like it could be part of this too. Matt seemed like he fit well in the system that Denny Green did, and he would have probably kept improving if Green was still here, or if Coach Whiz used a similar system. But the broken Collarbone, and losing his job to Warner probably was a big hit to his confidence, and I heard Pasch mention that confidence could be one of his issues during the Florida/Miami of Ohio game earlier today.

But, hes gone now, and I hope he manages to have a good career wherever he goes.

19. By ben on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

whiz for prez best thing anyone has ever done for this orginization there you go another bit of wisdom from your Hero

20. By Joel L. on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

But I bet he is the first, first round quarterback to wash out without ever really getting a chance to fail. I think that is what is so upsetting for me as a fan.

21. By Dre on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Let’s explore the possiblities if we would of put Matt on the market early. Could the seahawks or raider bit on Matt and we could of went after a McNabb and Derek Anderson as a back up. Now, history has proven itself that it is highly plausible for a veteran to come in and pay huge dividends for a team….examples are Kurt Warner, Brett Farve and the great Joe Montana.

22. By jason on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

well at least it’s over. This is the only conclusion that this story could have after Leinart was benched. While I still believe (and stated in earlier posts) this entire dramatic situation was due to Whisenhut’s mishandling of the situation the facts are clear: Anderson won the job and he is our (that is the correct way to use the word “our” by the way…not “are”) quarterback. I’m happy that we won’t have the controversy brewing all season and I’m hopeful that Derrick Anderson can regain his pro bowl form and lead us to a third division crown this year. GO CARDS!

23. By Fitzgirl11 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

so the way he goes is to get cut. How much does that suck. When Kurt retired last yr i was kinda pumped to see Matt would actully get to play this yr and he pretty much blew every opportunity he got this preseason. I hoped he would’ve proved everybody wrong and actually do his thing. Sad to see him go but the coaches made the ‘right” decision for the team now lets see how this season plays out…GOOOO CARDS!!!

24. By SSB on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Some players blossom in a team environment and can genuinely rejoice in the achievements of their mates. Derek Anderson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Max Hall all have that quality; it’s easy to see. That ability is not dependent on how skillful a player is. It is dependent on treating teammates like colleagues and not competition. A truly confident player does not fear for his job. Matt Leinert never possessed that. He could only revel in his own reflected glory. He had plenty of that at USC and Pete Carroll knew how to capitalize on that, California being the last of the narcissists.

For the Cardinals and Coach Whiz, it got very old after awhile. You shouldn’t have to constantly stroke your quarterback. He is the one called upon to build up the team, not the other way around. When the fountain of praise started to shut down, so did Leinert. Whatever skills he possesses will not be tapped as long as he needs that constant reinforcement. Football is too hard a sport to suffer that.

25. By Ross on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Off topic but

I have asked before but i really think we should push for hightower to get added beside wells up top on the banner.

26. By Former Steeler Fan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

If Hall is “far ahead of Skelton”, Skelton better have his bags packed when the cut to 53 happens next year.

27. By John on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Its sad as I liked Leinart when we first drafted him. I too got off the bandwagon last year when he was put in several games with a big lead and just looked terrible.
    Coach Whiz had to make a tough decision but its about putting the best player in and I certainly support him on this. I hope Matt finds a home and does well just not against us. I was at the Redskin game and really like the way Hall ran the offense it was fun to watch. I’m a senior citizen been around a long time. Hall reminds me of Fran Tarkenton. Not big, decent arm and can scramble in the pocket.

28. By SSB on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

California is the land of the narcissists, not the last, sorry to say.

29. By Farry Litzgerald on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Do you think Whisenhunt would have taken Matt Leinart if he was the coach, instead of Dennis Green?

30. By R Robles on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck Matt Im Still Your Fan & Wish The Best Im Sad You Didnt make The Team But Sometimes Its Just Different Systems QB’s Dont Fit

31. By Michael on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s a disappointment. Watching the draft that day in 06, Matt Leinart dropped to the Cardinals at #10 and I went crazy. I thought we had just drafted a star QB that we would have as the face of our franchise for years to come. After watching him at USC I thought there was no way he would flop. Obviously I was wrong. Well, good luck to you Matt, your really gonna need it.

32. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

All I can say is it was ML job to lose, no one too blame or point fingers. Coach Whiz does brings out the best or exposes the worst in every player. Thank goodness for competition and a Coach that expects the best out of each player.
    No Politics, Just results !!!
    Like in war, you never put a leader that the men will not respect! With respect they will battle for you and each other!!!

33. By theo on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

for the people blaming this on coach whisenhunt, obviously you didn’t watch leinart play or read into the story that much. on and off the field, leinart doesn’t possess the leadership skills a starting quarterback needs to have in the nfl. the team rallied more around derek anderson when he was on the field rather than leinart! he couldn’t even get the support of players like larry fitzgerald! matt had his chance and he couldn’t capitalize on it. its one thing if your not impressing the coach but when your team won’t even back you up…well he should’t blame anyone but himself

34. By Hadit on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Anderson will be better here in AZ with much better weapons than in Cleavland ….but Really?!………. this whole off season and we take the mentality of oh well DA is better than ML so we will use him. doesn’t say much now does it?

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

I will pass that along.

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Farry —

Great question. I have no idea. Cutler was available too. Maybe they take Cutler instead.

37. By Cardinal Cody on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good luck Matt Leinart!! Sorry it wasn’t for the red birds, but I’m sure you’ll land somewhere and have a better taste of success! Now let’s focus on the Rams! Go Cardinals!

38. By Ken Caden on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren dont the fans realize that a quarterback has to fit in a system that is desighned to compliment its strengths. Matt could not win a game with this team, and he had several chances with no improvement. DA has actually taken a team to the playoffs with Kellen Winslow soley by themselves, With Early and Fitz, and the other supporting cast will be fine. I am excited for the Cards, they will have ups and downs, but that is to be expected. Matt never siezed the momment when given a chance to play. Let me remind everyone when Kurt was hurt and Matt was going to start. we all clinched that gut feeling we were going to lose, and we did. I think Whiz was not gonna go down that road again. This will be the last time I mention ML, his name who shall not be spoken again in the Cardinal language. Darren I do worry about Sam Bradford though. He is going to be a great addition to the Rams I dont think they will be Celler Dwellers anymore. I hope that first game goes well. This Division is going to be the toughest to win. Good luck Cards. Wolf where is the Cardinal Uderground Update. Wolf you need to fine tune the intro a little more it doesnt sound right yet. Thanks Killer Cardinals

39. By Kay on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

@ Dre – One good example of a QB that was cut but became is Johnny Unitas. He was cut by the Steelers. I rest my case!!!!!

40. By Rick on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good luck to ML!!! I am sure everyone, including ML and Whis would agree that things could have been handled better but oh well, stuff happens!!! Looking forward to kick-off in St Louis and I will be in Atlanta for the game!!! Go CARDS!!!

41. By Jones from IL on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren – did DA start in 35 NFL games in his career?

I think that DA will have a “Prove it” attitude ie to prove he can be as good as his 2007 pro-bowl year – like the Cardinals as a team have to prove the sports writers WRONG. I think the Big Red is one of the most under rated teams in the NFL. Let’s prove it beginning with the Rams next week!

42. By akcard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Back when the Cards were looking to acquire both DA and Whitehust, I stated that ML was “outta” here. You disagreed. Now it has come to pass. It is disingenious for Whiz to lay this decision at the feet of ML, due to a variety of subjective issues like body posture, confidence, leadership, etc.

The Chargers made a similar decision when they dumped Brees for Rivers, with Brees going on to win a Super Bowl last year. Not saying DA and ML have the same talent as Brees and Rivers; however it goes to show what a player can accomplish when moving from one team to another due to a change of scenery. Whiz promoted DA over ML because Whiz had more confidence in DA, not that DA outplayed ML this preseason; so to blame ML for that decision is wrong.

43. By jengland on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

All these posts about how great Whiz is???????? Yeah he took the Cards to the show with Denny Green’s team. He will be gone within 2 years and ML will be a starter somewhere else and DA will be on a bench. Big Mistake Whiz.

44. By Cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whiz can be described as a political and inconsistent coach. When the coach is inconsistent the team is inconsistent which is probably why the team has played that way the past two years. I always wondered why they were so inconsistent and now it’s becoming apparent since we’ve seen Whiz act this way. Whiz still wasn’t able to explain the real reason Matt is gone, he avoided the question and deliberately didn’t answer it after saying more than once it’s not personal, hah hah yeah right. Whiz is very deceiving to say the least and NOT a very good communicator. Now, the “coaching staff” has selected Hall over Skelton which I do not agree.
    After Skelton first played a great game in his first appearance, Hall surpassed him for whatever reason the next game. Go figure?
    Hall didn’t do anything that I saw which makes him any better than Skelton. Unless, there’s more politics behind the scenes(Danny White = Hall relative = Nepotism).
    Politically, he’s also from Mesa, AZ. I dislike politics in sports and Mesa, AZ really dislikes Sheriff Joe Arpio. Hall, what a joke lol.

45. By AnquanStandsUp on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s like Cards fans(myself included) are in the stages of grief when someone passes.(Passes, how ironic.)
    Denial- No way Matt Leinart is passed over for Derek Anderson, he’s been backup to a HOF and played well when first drafted.
    Anger- Leinart’s not given the chance, despite his high play during the preseason.
    Bargaining- If Matt had the chances that Derek had and the line was at least functional, he would have won the job.
    Acceptance- What’s done is done. Time to move on to the regular season.
    I don’t want to equate playing a sport with death, but similarities apply, and if you’re a sports nut, you’ve probably ran through the same gamut of emotions.

46. By Cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Either David Letterman(like he has done to Mike Singletary) or Saturday Night Live should spoof Whiz/Cardinal QB’s, it would be such an easy skit. I like humor more than politics.

47. By John l on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m very happy leinart is gone. The cards offense throws the ball down the seems and Matt never had the arm to make the throws. Matt may be successful with a west coast offense. Time will tell. Glad this is over.
    Now for things that can help this team.
    Darren, is it fair to say the cards are looking at the cuts for outside and inside lbs, and maybe a corner?
    Here are some names. Can you tell me if any names have come up.
    Olb darrell Reid , had 4sacks for Denver as a back up last year.
    Olb Pierre woods, had some starts with new england.
    Ilb Matt wilheim , vet from 49ers
    Ilb tyjuan hagler, another vet.
    Cb nathen vasher, could be a nice option for nickle. A vet who is not too old.
    Please keep us updated.

48. By Steve W on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

A few weeks ago I would have been shocked at this development, but I believe that Matt has shown his true colors in the past weeks while Coach Whiz tried to determine what is best for the team. Frankly, the Cards don’t need a prima donna at the QB position, and that’s the best term I can think of for Matt. He just doesn’t seem to inspire the confidence or generate any kind of excitement among his teammates when he takes the snaps on the field. I see it in D.A., and I see it in Max Hall as well. I think Whiz made the right decision, tough as it was and knowing that it might generate a whole lot of talk that could distract the team.

But I also believe that Whiz knows his players better than anyone, including Mike Holmgren! If he thinks Anderson has what it takes to get the Cards to the playoffs I trust his decision. And if he doesn’t, Whiz might just get the chance to see how a rookie quarterback with a lot of raw talent might fare against the starting lineup of our 2010 opponents.

Good luck to you Matt, I hope you find a team out there that works for you. And GO CARDS!!

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Jengland —

I don’t know what Anderson or Leinart will do from here. But I guarantee Whisenhunt will be around longer than two years.

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall —

I have watched every practice and the games of the Cardinals. I know why the coaches think Skelton has potential, but overall, Skelton has not performed anywhere near as well as Hall has. Period.

51. By Jason on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Chris B….. Levi Brown was drafted by Whiz, Wells was replaced by lutui, and Will Davis was a 6th or 5th round pick other than that its good.

52. By Ben on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

GOOD LUCK MATT everyone in my house wishes you well -I keep going over the Bears Monday Night game in October of 2006 and I was so happy that Matt was our QB. He was not intimidated at all by the #1 defense in the NFL who only allowed two TDs in the six weeks since the beginning of the season and Matt marched the Cards down the field without Fitz who was injured and put two TDs up in the first quarter. I hope for Matt he finds a new team and has some success. I also hope the cheap shots against him stop I think I have supported him more than I normally would have because I have found the comments by the media (not so much by the local media but by the national media like ESPN and SI) about him on the harsh side and a lot of them completely opinion based and not fact based.

53. By John l on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Also, for all of you who ask why didn’t the cards get someone other than Anderson if the knew leinart wasn’t the man, you must not have been paying attention.
    First, they looked to trade for a young qb in whitehurst, who I’ve watched play live and he looks good. Second, I’m sure the looked at mcnabb but to trade for him would have cost us our number 1 to beat out the skins. Maybe whiz thought the price was to high.
    After that, who did you think they should have got?
    A shellshocked Bulger? Who else? Peyton wasn’t available.
    The draft? Bradford went one and I guess we could have taken Clausen instead of Williams but a lot of teams passed on Clausen.
    So, Anderson was the best option and it looks like we got lucky and landed an undrafted future QB in Max Hall.
    Leinart is not a good option, he never was.

54. By Donnie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

good Grief
    you matt only fans need to get over it
    Political conspiracy,coach a failure ,etc.
    Matts gone and he aint coming back
    Whiz will take us back to… and win a SB
    Bet on it

55. By Dre on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

There will come a day when we will regret treating our player badly. I have to go back to Edgerrin James, a player who has earned four Pro Bowl selections and three All-Pro selections. He was benched behind a 5th round pick with a yds per carry of 2.8. James led the league in rushing during his rookie and sophomore season and has a respectable place on the all time rushing list. He was released and we drafted Beanie Wells the next year, who still is behind a 5th round back for Richomd.

Q (Boldin) was our naive son, he was our guy. A tough football player who broke his face and put a helmet on three game later to play again…can you imagine the pain. He was traded along with a 5th round pick for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Reggie Wells a seven year veteran offense of line player traded for a 6th round pick, not good at all. Antrel Rolle and Karlos Dansby seems to made the best business decision and seems to doing great with there new teams.

Cody brown, our last years 2nd round pick cut, which is like cutting a player who should of been as good as Docket, Cambell and Dansby. We trade this years 6th round pick Jorrick Calvin for a rookie fullback which was cut a few day later.

We cut Herman Johnson for being over weight which he wasn’t the only liine-men who was over weight. The offense of line is soft and are not living up to expectations, we need players on the line who will take it to the defense, Not players who sit there while being punch in the back of the head…who is in charge of making them tough because they are as soft as spreadable butter.

We cut a first round qb that’s been here awhile who was cut days before the season and we got nothing in return. We should of pulled the trigger on that during the off season and went in a different direction. We place a qb who was cut from a really realy bad team and put our season in his hands along with a undrafted rookie. COME ON Y’ALL…Can anyone see Mcnabb throwing the ball to Fits, Breaston, Steph Williams and Early. I can an it makes me wanting to toss my cookies because it want happen.

People, this are not good decisions and you have to ask yourself if we really have turned that corner. I don’t think we have. I think we are just treading water and we might of took a step backwards. Until we make good decision consistently we won’t be better remain in the same place. This was the perfit time for use to shake off the same ‘ol Cardinal saying and move forward are on of the better organization in the league.

I wish folks would get off Whisenhunt jock because he hasn’t done a whole lot, yet. Coach Green ended his last season with a record of 8-8 and Whisenhunt first season was the same 8-8. His second season we went 9-7 and we played pretty bad after wrapping up the division early. We went into the playoff with people saying we were the worst team ever to be in the playoffs. It was then that the players like Docket and Kurt took it personal and started kicking some butts. A bad a$$ coach would of keep his team focus in that situation. Coach Green brought those players in who made the difference.

It is obvious coach Whisenhut has not mastered the draft and have issues with player personal. I’ll tell you this it is hard to walk on a NFL team and make the squad. That is not the norm, especially at quarterback who is our back up.

To see everyone excited and slapping hi-fives that Leinart is gone is disturbing. It’s not about Matt but more about the decision and an outcome in which we are better for. I ask myself what will Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy or Jimmy Johnson would have done.

56. By Dylan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Dre–

i will answer your question STEVE YOUNG got cut from tampa then took the 49ers to a superbowl and won it

57. By Joel L. on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

58. By TBru on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

One ring, one other Superbowl appearance with another team, how is that better or worse than Wiz?

Why did he drop a QB’s he didn’t feel comfortable with for one he did? How is that any different than Wiz?

Can anyone tell me when a QB that was cut came to a new team and was successful…please give me one example. Kurt Warner comes to mind

59. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I agree with this

60. By Dylan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Can we make Dre the head coach for the cardinals because man does he think he know everything about the team and can out coach whiz. oh and dre what are you gonna say when the cards win the division and more play off games this year? i bet you’re gonna be like See i told you guys i was right the whole time whiz made the right decision…

61. By TBru on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Something Denny never did in all his years in the game.

62. By Griffin on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I too find it disturbing that so many people are excited Matt is leaving and like someone else posted the cheap shots have been really nasty and a lot of times completely uncalled for.

63. By TBru on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt had his chance, I did not see much, the team didn’t respond well. I think it was a move that had to be made. I am not jumping for joy, I think it is a sad day, but in the end the best move for the Cards, and Matt. Best wishes, and good luck, #7

64. By Donnie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

After a full day of cuts, I’m seeing lots of potential players that could be great fits for our roster… I can’t wait to see what happens next

65. By TBru on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

puts on my WWJJD? bracelet

All three would make the decisions they felt best helped their team to win, period.

66. By akcard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

When Q wanted to leave due to a contract dispute, the Cards would not trade Q because it was best for the team to keep him. Q was not traded until Doucet blossomed last year, and Q became expendable. ML should have been kept on the team this year, in case DA falters. To think Hall and Skelton is ready to take over for DA if DA gets hurt is crazy. No way Hall and Skelton is better than ML. By not keeping ML we did not keep the best 53 players on the team. To release ML and get nothing in return is plain stupid.

Q intimated in an interview this past week, that there is something personal between ML and Whiz. Q should know, as he was there, and why would he lie now.

67. By Judy on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt was judged by who?A bunch of Warner only lovers,and a Coach who for some reason hated him.Matt preformed well enough on the field when he got a chance,that he deserved a chance starting for a few games anyway.Then if we were losing he could have been cut.Or he should have cut him two or three years ago.
    I will never trust anything Ken Whisenhunt says again.When he said he was Matt’s friend today,i wanted to puke .If your friends treat you like he treated Matt,i would hate to see what hIs enemies would do.

68. By joe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Somebody else has provably already answered this for DRE but the last QB that was cut and did well at his new team was say it with me now Kurt Warner if anyone can do it whiz can Holgrem also picked up a QB that was cut from a team this year Jake delhomee Holgrem just walked into a bad locker room a split locker room he had no choice but to lose the qb’s and start fresh

69. By cali card fan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Dre – Green went 5-11 his last year. Your credibility in your long drawn out rant went right out the window in my book the minute you write that nonsense. Not only did Whiz improve the win column by 3 games his FIRST year, he has more importantly ridden the Cardinals of a losers attitude. In my opinion that is the hardest thing to do with a program. Drafts have been solid and he has yet to be proven wrong with his major personnel decisions (Warner anyone?). A Super Bowl appearance, 2 time NFC West Champs, and has yet to have a losing season (only one winning season for the AZ Cards before he showed up) and you are bagging on the Whiz??? Call us when you get back to earth.

70. By dan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

DA sucks, bring in the rookie………soon.

71. By joe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow Dre your way off Q wanted a trade he wanted to be a number 1 reciever and thats not happening with fitz here Whiz said yesterday that wells and him talked and wells was welcome to stay in az but he would be behind lutie and it was his choice to be traded so he could start somewhere else you need to check tape on cody brown boy looked lost all of preseason.And did the edge see any playing time after he got cut anywhere else? No because he was done man that happens in football backs dont last that long and as for matt he has the worst qb rating of any starter and almost all the backups on everyother team in the league and he just didnt look like he had turned it around AZ is a bad fit for him and he’s better off gettin cut and going somewhere that runs a system that fits him better this will be better for him

72. By Billy Thomas on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

@Dre: Well, I think the one obvious selection for a QB who was cut by another team that became an amazing starter is our very own HOF-bound Kurt Warner. He’s a man who had a lot of success with one team, fell apart through injuries and was cut from two teams, and then was able to lead a team to ultimate success once again. This is not to say Derek Anderson is the next Kurt Warner, but that is an example. Another example is Doug Flutie who did very well for the Bills when he was older and could never get a shot in the NFL. Drew Brees is a less extreme example, but he was never a great QB for the Chargers like he is for the Saints.

In any case, this is to say that sometimes a QB just needs a change. The Cleveland Browns were sending him every which way and it just was not fair to him because he didn’t know where he was going to be from week to week. The Browns were in an awful state of disarray, and I think Mike Holmgren got rid of Anderson and Quinn just so he could start over. I think he wanted to build his team around a QB he selected, and a veteran who he knew could play at a high enough level in Jake Delhomme.

I think we need to believe in DA and give him every chance to succeed. That was something he wasn’t given in Cleveland. When he comes out, I’m going to cheer and then he’ll know that we in Arizona believe in him and want him to succeed. Hopefully that confidence will translate into success and wins for the 2010 Arizona Cardinals.

Let’s go Derek! Show us that you are who Coach Whisenhunt thinks you are!

73. By joe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

cardsalltheway he’s not telling all he feels because he wants matt to have a shot in the nfl he goes out and badmouths him its gonna make it that much harder for him to find a job. Thats if matts own whining to the media has made it impossible already.

74. By joe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

i lovee how people talk about whiz going 8-8 and then say he took denny greens team to the superbowl so whiz is to blame for an 8-8 season but gets no credit for a sb apperance good one guys good one

75. By Billy Thomas on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

@Dre: Also, I know Tony Dungy would not have kept Leinart because of his attitude. Whisenhunt reminds me of Dungy in the way of character. Character makes a big difference to Whisenhunt and Dungy, and to me Leinart had very little character in his demeanor. It’s tough for him when the guy whose character you’re being measured against is Kurt Warner’s, so I will give him that, but not much more. To me I thought Leinart and Anderson performed approximately equally well in different ways, but Anderson’s character I think was the determining factor, as well as his willingness to go after the big play.

76. By A-RUFF on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

@DRE

alright. I’ll counter your statements.
    Edge was presumed a great pickup right? wrong. We found out quick that if u can’t block, u cant run. Thank Denny Green 4 dat one. Just bc Beanie probably wont start the game, Doen’t mean he isn’t playing (2 running back system. Google it) Oh and that Richmond guy, makes plays running, catching, and PASS blocking.
    Q. I mean we had 2 let him go. Some bad stuff went on wit him and the front office. He is a great player and I hate 2 see him leave, but we did get something 4 him & plus he was injured late in the last 2 seasons (with fitz, breaston, doucet & company, we can be good without him anyway)
    R Wells. I feel that he has been solid for some years, but i’m sure that if he was so good, we wouldn’t’ve signed faneca in da first place. lutui juss might BE better than him at RG (since wells played at LG) Hadnot seems 2 be the more versitile fit.
    & remeber, we got some guys on D that can fill the void 4 Rolle & Dansby (Rhodes Porter & Washington)

77. By SCHater on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

what’s up with all the love for Leinart on this blog. any nfl fan with half a brain could see the kid never had the heart or guts to toss the ball around. he was never in good enough shape – maybe if he lost that flak jacket he would throw the ball around better – too afraid to take a hit. Derek Anderson can clearly do much of what Leinart was too afraid to do. Get the ball down the field quickly to big time receivers. Better to cut Leinart then have him stand on sideline pouting like a baby. Good riddance.

78. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Any chance the Cards pick up Chevis Jackson, Dre Bly or Justin Hartwig? Or will they just look to the arena league for more players. They love the undrafted guys. It doesn’t look like many quality olb are available. Really strange releasing of Cody Brown. It looks like the Cards released/traded the best players this year to get to 53. I don’t think anyone else released 4 potential starters (Leinart, Wells, Beisel, Becht) and a 2nd round pick (Brown). I’m starting to think Whisenhunt is starting to turn Mike Shanahanish… when Shanahan thought he was so good and his ego was so big that he could stick any running back in his offense and turn them into a star.

79. By Brad ONeill on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

i think in week one we will see why you probably shouldn’t start max hall as good as he has looked. Bradford is the best quarterback in the draft(according to the pick order) and i suspect a dub and company are going to welcome him to the nfl.

I really think the team needs a player coach under whiz, whose job is too coddle the players. i know whiz would probably spit his coffee on the desk if he read that but the truth is we are losing guys and it always seems to be the same story. they aren’t feeling loved. If they had a coach they could vent too that would work as a buffer to whiz we might be able to salvage players like boldin and lienart instead of blowing them up.

there are people like dockett, wilson and fitz that thrive under the drill instructor but other guys need a pete carrol to high five them and tell them how great they are.

napoleon once said “give me enough medals and i will win any war”
    he was talking about the effectiveness of recognition on the battlefield.

some people feel that nfl players shouldnt need motivation and accolades from a coach. but it is something these guys have had their whole lives and just because they are at the height of the profession doesn’t mean they wouldn’t appreciate and benefit some love from the guy holding the clipboard.

80. By Travp111 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow. We get rid of leinart and everyone hates coach. He did take us to the superbowl. Why stop trusting him now? Darren who do you think will be our punt/kick returner?

81. By Mr. Know It All on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Well spoken K Caden

82. By Cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Of course I haven’t seen the practices but have seen each preseason game and the sudden flip in the 2nd and 3rd games. From what I saw Skelton at least performed equal to Hall in those two games(given he didn’t have much of a chance in the 3rd game after being demoted). If Hall was so much better in practices then why didn’t he get the start before Skelton in the 2nd preseason game? But, if people are going to give the receivers(Komar) credit for catching Skelton’s passes while giving Hall credit for completing his, then yes Hall is better. For Skelton to have been demoted after his fantastic 2nd game performance simply doesn’t make sense. That’s how QB’s lose confidence. If Whiz keeps it up, he’ll ruin Skelton too.

83. By Mr. Know It All on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Whiz has made some hard decisions maybe when we take a closer look at the current roster we will find a more than solid group of hard nosed players on Defense and serious skill sets on Offense. It takes guts to cut draft picks considering all of the time the Cards usually give those guys. I think there is a WIN IT ALL mentality taking hold so watch out for the Cards they want that SUPER BOWL RING!!!!!

84. By BluePitt on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre, We are on the same page!I am not diggin the Whizade right about now!
    Seriously, Really? Why didn’t you go on about the Titans game last year and say: in Leinarts defense the Titans went 7-2 over the last 8 games of the season, only loosing to the Chargers and Colts each was a Play off team last year. They whooped the rams 47-7, they Whooped the 9ers we didn’t. The only reason I am bringing this up is I don’t think it is right for you to compare the STL game with Warner and the TEN game in witch Matt had little to no prep for, and would have brought us a W if the D held up. Not unlike your “Monday Night Meltdown” Give us Fans a break, I know you have to march to the Card’s drum but please think it trough next time before you compare apples to oranges. I do still love your Blog and Tweets as always and most always agree with you on most things Cardinal.
    I know you are over worked and probably under paid, but lets just remember Matty for the good games he played and give him props for going down like a Pro when we all know he got the shaft!

85. By firemagoo on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Uhm Kurt Warner?

86. By firemagoo on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Well the second string qb does really have an important role. Like when Seneca Wallace came in last year and threw those touchdowns. 2nd string totally matters! Name one Superbowl contender that if their qb goes down is still in contention.

87. By firemagoo on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Ouch banging on spelling and can’t spell Derek correctly.

88. By dan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I say we bring in Nathan Vasher as a extra DB for nickel and dime packages.

89. By John Henry on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre,

While a lot of what you say is true, saying Coach Wiz hasn’t done alot for his team is absolutly insane. The Cardinals had 1 playoff season since they had been in AZ, and under coach Wiz they have not had a losing season yet. In fact, they get better every year. (8-8, 9-7, 10-6) The Giants completly overpaid for Rolle, as did the Dolphins for Dansby. They were solid starters, but out D hasn’t been that good the last few years with them. Do you really think you know better then the coach and GM, who’s lives litterly revolve around this team? This coaching staff has proven that they know whats best for the cardinals, and that is why they named Warner the starter 2 years ago, the year we went to the super bowl. Do you think that was a mistake too? I am deeply dissapointed that Lienart is not going to be the starting QB this year, because from what I could see He seemed the best candidate, but I know enough to know that I don’t see everything. I am not an “expert”. This coaching staff has proven that they are willing to do what is in the best intrest of winning, time and time again. I think that until they prove us wrong, you should sit back and enjoy the fact that the Cardinals are dedicated to winning.

90. By Jeff Gollin on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes one seemingly minor event can occur that symbolizes something bigger and can get you fired. (It happened to me: I backed my demo car into the plate glass window of my boss’s showroom in a blizzard. I was fired a month or so later for a number of other vague reasons, but I believe the proverbial “straw:” was the plate glass deal.

Matt Leinart threw a high pass to a bad spot and Fitz strained his knee. Although all the “body of work” comments by Wiz are, no doubt valid, no one will convince me that what nailed it was the injury to Fitz. (Fair or unfair, I know my initial unspoken reaction was: “Would Kurt Warner have hung Fitz out to dry by throwing that ball ?”)

Also – taking a bigger picture point of view, I think you can “blame the defense” for Matt’s demise. The flavor of this year’s Cardinal “D” – with the addition of Porter, Lenon and Rhodes, the emergence of Darnell and A-Dub as more vocal leaders and the intensity Calais is bringing to the DE position – is that of a hell-for-leather take no prisoners unit.

I don’t think Wiz expected this to happen so quickly or dramatically, and I believe he hoped this would translate to something similar on the other side of the ball. Unfortunately, this wasn’t happening under Matt’s leadership. I believe Wiz concluded that Anderson’s personality – along with Lutui in place of Reggie on the O-line – better fit the more aggressive offensive identity he was seeking.

To conclude: (1) The Fitz Injury. (2) Blame it on the Defense.

91. By Tony on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dennis Green going 8-8? Where? because it wasnt in Az. And his last season here was 5-11..Overall record in Az. was 16-32…Looks like if you were going to write a book here you would at least know what you were talking about

92. By Rob on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Good luck with Derek, that’s all I can say. You’re gonna need it. Being a Cleveland fan, I was thrilled when he was booted. He’s inconsistent at best, downright horrible at worst.

Maybe he’ll do better in Arizona…but don’t get your hopes up. Pray for .500 this year and bank on your future prospect(s).

93. By Tim on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I definitely don’t see Anderson leading this team to any better a record than 8-8. He may be the better QB over Matt and I totally have every confidence in our teams management. I wasn’t on the band wagon when we brought in what i thought was yet another washed up QB in Kurt Warner. Didn’t take long to convince me otherwise. I hope i am wrong too about Anderson and we see great things from him as we did from Warner. More likely in my opinion, the great things we will see from Hall. I am just as jazzed about his future as our captain as i was about Matt after we drafted him, if not more.
    I guess the best way to put it is this,
    We have become too quick to judge the decisions of our team in this state. The fact of the matter is, the decisions this current staff has made to this point has netted us more success than all the other teams have since the Cards arrived in AZ. Give it a chance and we all might be surprised.

94. By clssylssy on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre-thank you, finally the voice of an intelligent fan. At the end of the day football is a business and every business has it’s politics. Anybody knows better than to air their dissatisfaction with their job and personal problems with their boss publically if they want to keep their job. That’s what happened here. Matt was on shakey ground with Whisenhunt and to be confrontational about his treatment with media at hand was like pounding the final nail in his own coffin. Some people just can’t work together Do I think he was treated unfairly–absolutely; he has talent that was never developed so don’t fault him because he also happens to be good looking and is on the quiet side (so was Fitz until recently) Will Derek Anderson do anything for the Cards? He will get thrown under the bus in short order too. I’ve always respected Fitz, but for all this to blow up eight days before the season opener screams that he’s not operating like the voice of reason. St. Louis is looking VERY GOOD, as is Seattle and of course the darlings of the media,the 9ers. So, it’s going to be truth time very soon and I personally don’t think Anderson is up to it. And, of course, the media will say it’s all because Warner left.

95. By Ryan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Should have seen this coming. Remember last year Leinart was in competition with St. Pierre for the back-up job. That there tells you Whiz’s confidence level in him. Also without Leinart being able to stretch the field, our running game would have been non existent. At least with Anderson or Hall the safeties will not be able to be in the box the whole game..

96. By WC on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

Get your facts straight before you post a gigantic rant – Green was 5-11 in his last season coaching the Cardinals and he never had a season better than 6-10.

You might want to learn how to spell, too.

97. By WC on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think anyone can or should be on Leinart’s side in this argument. 14 TD’s, 20 INT’s in 29 appearances. If I recall correctly, Tom Brady threw 14 TD’s in three games in 2007.

I think Leinart supporters were being a little too hopeful – he had no confidence and he just couldn’t play. At a certain point you just have to give up on a guy.

Plus, I don’t think the Cards were overly excited about paying this guy $14,000,000 over 2 years to be the starting Clipboard Holder.

98. By John l on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

To Dre,
    In each one of your examples, the player was let go because of their play on the field.
    Who picked up Edge after the superbowl? He was done. Wells was the weak link last year and they fixed that spot. Johnson had a chance to step up and compete for right tackle and he shows up out of shape? Come on man! Cody Brown sucked. Anyone paying attention could see once a OL got his hands on him it was over.
    Now Boldin, he was a fan favorite. But we have good wrs and it doesn’t make sense to sink all your money into the Wr spot, since Fitz is getting a new deal sometime next year and Breaston is a FA next year.

Whiz has made very smart business decisions. I would argue about his draft, as I wanted Navarro Bowman in the 3rd and a corner like AOA or Dominiic Franks in the 4th.

99. By Jesse robles on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

If leinart was better then DA he would play. Yes he had a great completing percentage, but he never threw the ball passed the line of scrimmage. That only works in college, I hope he does go to Seattle because they are making horrible moves letting TJ go and keeping Mike Williams of USC, Pete Carrol isn’t going to last. BRING ON THE RAMS!! Let’s go CARDS!’ one gMe at a time!!

100. By John l on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Dre,
    One more thing, wasn’t Emmitt Smith let go by the cowboys and Jerry Rice let go by San Fran?
    Teams let go of even great players when the can’t perform on the field anymore. That’s just the nature of the beast.
    Whiz has the 53 guys who performed and the rest he let go.

101. By Big Red on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Former steeler fan, by next year this time Skelton will be starting. Good Luck, Matt.

102. By Big Red on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Dre do you want us to be like America’s Team, that has a coach and owner with no guts. If Romo was with the Cards W/coach Whiz, do you still think Romo would be playing for the Cards, I don’t think so. Romo sucks and they still think highly of him, what has he don for the team. (NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!) IN WHIZ WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!

103. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

They traded Wells, and have Deuce to replace him. Reggie wasn’t going to be back in 2011 (he is in the last year of his deal) and you had someone you liked better. Becht and Beisel are at the end of their careers and the staff decided to go young when they were close in talent with younger players. Brown had done nothing in two camps.

This isn’t fantasy football. Players are judged on the field, not by their names.

104. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Travp —

Great question. Not sure yet.

105. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall —

They never wanted to allow Skelton to reach waivers because they thought they’d lose him. I think the original thought was “hide” Hall and try and get him to the practice squad. Then a) it became clear Hall was better than Skelton and b) Leinart might not hold off Leinart, and that Leinart would likely not be able to handle being No. 2. So they played Hall more.

And you are watching the games, right? Skelton’s big game was the first, against Houston.

Practices count too by the way. I’m an glad you have watched the games. But practices matter. Skelton is raw and was raw coming in. He’s got a long, long way to go.

106. By sean L on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

i know this is off topic but Darren what are your thoughts on this ?
    i
    key players contracts up at years end !!!!
    OFFENSE

HB Tim Hightower prob gone
    WR Steve Breaston needs new contract
    WR Early Doucet prob gone if stephan williams steps into his own
    TE Ben Patrick not sure
    LG Alan Faneca Prob gone
    C Lyle Sendlein Coach Loves Him … but how much $$$$$$ will he want
    C Ben Claxton prob gone
    RG Deuce Lutui Coach have long term plans for him but again $$$$ might get in way
    RT Brandon Keith New starter at RT … depending on how he fairs .. $$$ again

DEFENSE

LE Kenny Iwebema looks like hes ready for breakout year but will it be with us ?
    RE/DT Alan Branch gone
    DT bryan Robinson retires
    DT Gab Watson Gone unless he steps up this year
    CB Michael Adams coaches like him but will green replace him with a year under him
    SS Matt Ware signs

P Ben Graham signs highest punters contract in NFL and earned it!!!!

i know its a year away and u shouldnt look that far ahead … but theres alot of BIG contracts coming up!!!! Whats your thoughts Darren ???

107. By sean L on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

looks like next year will be another intresting one anyways :) Realy looking forward to this year …. WIZ is going to bring us another NFC championship …. team looks good on all levels :)

108. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt —

OK, You’ve said what you think. Here’s what I think.

I said all along as this went on that I probably would have started Leinart to begin this season. But I’m not the coach. And quite frankly, I am getting a little hacked off at the implications that I am some sort of company stooge. You guys want to know what is going on, so I write that to the best of my knowledge. And when it isn’t what you want to hear, you call me the spin doctor. You don’t want me to bring up Chicago? Or St. Louis? Too bad. Those games played into the decision. They just did. I’m not the one who cut Leinart. So many want to get mad because they point to the preseason and say, “Matt did his job.” My point is it went beyond the preseason. He did well in Tennessee last season, I agree. He didn’t do well in Jacksonville, Chicago, St. Louis. You don’t watch practices, and no one knows about what is going on in meetings, etc.

Be mad if you feel Leinart got a raw deal. Fine. But take it out on the right people, and make sure you understand you will never know the whole story. Neither will I. That’s just how it is.

109. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know we just cut to 53 but as Whiz said the roster isnt constant. Do you see anyone on the waiver wire that we might pursue? TJ ? Willie Parker?
    As always Mahalo for keep us informed ! Much appreciated!

110. By Phil on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Just one example of someone cut and then successful with another team… Kurt Warner—was cut by 2 teams(rams and giants) Who did holmgren bring in to start…’cut’ starter Jake Delome.

One definition of leadership is the ability to bring out the best in those around you. It is obvious that right or wrong WHIZ couldn’t bring out the best in matt. Hope he can with DA.

Go cards!

111. By CakesW on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

I’m sorry that you are “upset”, but realistically, we should all be upset at YOU for your factually innacurate ramblings.

To say that Coach Whisenhunt “hasn’t done a whole lot yet” is borderline insane in terms of Cardinals football. The Arizona Cardinals have not had a losing season yet under Whisenhunt.

Coach Green ended with his last season with and 8-8 record ??????? Did you suffer a head injury ? Should we call the paramedics for you ?? ARE YOU OK ?
    Green’s best record with the Cardinals was his first in 2004 and he was 6-10. That is the best he ever did.

Since the Cardinals moved to Arizona in 1988, the Cardinals have only had 5 seasons at .500 or better and Whisenhunt coached 3 of them.

Seriously, if you are going to rant…at least be smart enough to look at the internet or something. Your post was RIDICULOUS

112. By Big Red on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

In Darren we trust!!!! Way to go, Darren. ( THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN)

113. By AndyM on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, very eloquent article. Well thought out and nicely written. We had to know something was truly up when during the third preseason game there was a timeout and the exchange between Whisenhunt and Hall revealed an intense, competitive young quarterback and a coach who had a huge, wryful smile on his face and was obviously getting a charge out of the enthusiasm of the young buck. I hope the Cardinals fans rally around DA–he is a player with a lot of talent. I think the team has already embraced him.

114. By Colorado Cards Fan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren–
    I think the thing that I love most about your blog is that it is so evident that you are not an organizational stooge. Your frankness is refreshing even if the truth hurts.

I do not understand the furor over this and why people are giving you a hard time. All of your points are valid and easy to see and understand. Even though I am in CO, I watched every game last season and Leinart never looked good. Even in Tennessee, the game would not have been as close as it was except for LSH’s heroics. The one thing that has struck me in watching Leinart in every game in 2009 and the 2010 preseason is the lack of inspiration and leadership–the “intangibles.” Warner had that. Anderson seems to have that. I think Hall definitely has that. Leinart does not. I cold say a lot more, but I would just be repeating the OBVIOUS things that you have already said Darren.

C’mon guys–we are all armchair coaches that think we know so much but have access to about 3% of the available information. Give Whisenhunt and the Cardinals organization a break on this. They have seen Leinart for years, and this decision is based on those years, not just four preseason games.

An NFL franchise is a multi-million dollar BUSINESS. Millions are on the line for success or failure. There just is not room for sentimentality in that equation. If someone comes along who plays better, or who plays comparably but has more of those “intangibles”, then he will supplant the former player. Breathe deep and accept it.

115. By TucsonTim on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre et al –

In the 19, yes NINETEEN, seasons before coach Whiz arrived the Cards had 2, count um, TWO winning seasons. Coach Whiz not only hasn’t had a losing season, he took this team to the SB and if Pendergast hadn’t laid his defense down like a French poodle in heat, we probably would have won.

What planet are you people from. You’ve GOT to give coach Whiz the benefit of the doubt. Now can I please get a refund for my #7 jersey.

116. By Richard S on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Yeah the Cleveland stadium where it’s located next to the Great Lakes museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame looks like you could get some wind off of the Lake, although I was never there during a ball game. Not sure if that affected Anderson’s accuracy or not.

117. By Brad ONeill on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

one quick thing about derek anderson. the boy can throw the ball a long long way. we may have to give our slot reciever a flak jacket to protect him from a direct hit.

this is not derek anderson and the browns people. this is derek anderson and the cardinals. If coach eases him in, which i think he will the fans will get behind the run run run chuck it deep offense of the cards.

and when we give up interceptions going for the jugular, we have some very capable defensive players that coach will send out to take the ball back.

118. By Former Steeler Fan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I understand why you get your dander up at some of the posters when they think that you are shilling for the Cards organization. The posters are stupid. You give us your best insight from your observations and access to people in the organization. In a belated kudo, thanks for all that you do. I haven’t visited other NFL teams’ blogs, but I would be amazed if any of them provide the quantity of useful info that you do in such a timely manner. (And, don’t consider this “sucking up”)

Re: Skelton; @Big Red & Darren; My point about him moving on after the cut to 53 in 2011 is that he was an early draft pick and (according to you, Darren) “is raw and was raw coming in. He’s got a long, long way to go”. It’s obvious that Whiz is very high on DA and Hall and it is very unlikely (in my humble opinion) that Skelton will EVER be able to beat either of them out to be a starting QB for the Cards. He may be another St. Pierre, a 3rd stringer forever. Let me make it clear that I thought that Skelton was an excellent choice and was surprised when so many posters praised the UFA Hall so highly (I didn’t follow Utah).

Regarding the Cards’ recent drafts: I don’t think that they have had good results. Why, I don’t know because if I recall correctly, Graves and Whiz reorganized the Scouting Dept. a year or two ago. Seems to me that Graves should say to the scouts what “The Donald” (Trump) says: “YOU’RE FIRED”.

119. By Jason on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

Edge was cut because he couldn’t play any more tha’t’s what happens when players get older.

Boldin asked to be traded and got his wish.

Reggie Wells was given the option of staying and being behind lutui or being traded, he said he would rather be traded.

You can’t say that cutting a 2nd round player is cutting a Dockett, Dansby, or Campbell.. if that is the case than is every player drafted in the second round supposed to be that good? No. Calvin hadn’t played in a year and wasn’t going to make the roster, we were short on fullback for the next game so we traded for a fullback.

Completely Herman Johnson’s fault that he got cut, he showed up overweight and that affected his performance, he has to be aware of that as a player. Lutui was the only other overweight lineman and he proved he deserved to be here by showing up in the games. He was cut because there are tougher and better lineman on the roster. What do you mean they stand there while being punched in the back of the head? Remember when Dockett tripped Lienart during practice and Levi Brown punched Dockett. Oh and the guy in charge of making them tough would be Hall Of Fame Lineman Russ Grimm.

Anderson had no weapons in the Browns Offense and just needed a change. Lienart had his chances and failed to produce.The bottom line is Anderson gives us a better chance to win. Just wait that undrafted rookie your talking about is going to be great in a couple of years.

Green went 5-11 his last season then Whiz took over and went 8-8 his first season. He did go 9-7 his second season but by saying they played pretty bad after securing the division shows you don’t watch football. The Colts were pretty bad after they locked up Homefield. So were the Saints, its called resting your best players for the playoffs and it worked because we went to the Super Bowl that year not only because they took it personal, but because of the coaching.

Whiz had been excellent at drafting. His first year he drafted Brown (Starter) Branch (Still on roster) Buster Davis (Bust) Steve Breaston (Stud No.2 WR) Ben Patrick (Starter) Lyle Sendlein (Undrafted Starting C). His second year he drafted DRC (Pro Bowler) Campbell (Stud) Doucet (No. 3 WR) Iwebema (Good at Special Teams still on roster) Hightower (Starting RB) Harrington (Bust) Keith (Starting RT). His third draft he got Beanie (Stud) Cody Brown (Bust) Rashad Johnson (Backup Safety) Greg Toler (Starting RCB) Herman Johson (Bust) Will Davis (Backup OLB) Larod Stephens-Howling (Special Teams Monster) Canfield (Bust). This years draft can’t be graded yet, but there we have Hall, Jefferson, Green, Komar, and Williams all undrafted and made the roster.

Next time check your facts before you post.

120. By anton1 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

matt can move on to a west coast offense. htis is a very lucky group to have won as many games they have. the nfc west is mickey mouse. this fitz guy does not pay attention and will never play in another super bowl game again. matt un like vince young kept his mouth shut. he would fit right in with phillie, san fran, new england, jets, denver, seahawks, and more. met matt at phil tranis in lon beach when he was a back up at usc. alex holmes intro me to him.
    just a good kid that was proud he was 4th string at the time at USC. well his day came their and it will come in the NFL. matt as forgot more about football then mike vick will ever know. matt your doing the right thing by not being a cry baby like vick and mcnabb. be a real football player like you have been.

121. By ndpenner on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I recently moved up to Alaska and I just wanted to thank you Darren for writing these. You’re the only way I can really keep up on stuff.

I wanted to say that, and that I’ve been following the Cards since…the late 90’s and I’m proud of where we’ve come since then. Business is business and the coaching staff is paid to do their jobs or they get fired if they don’t perform. I understand that people develope an emotional attatchment to certain players (i.e. my Dog is named Rackers) but the coaches make the call in the end and the fans and everyone else either have to accept their decisions and stand behind their team or find someone else to root for. Getting on here and bashing everyone including Darren is pointless. It’s kind of getting old having to wade through heaps of ignorance to read a few good posts from other fans and tidbits of new info from Darren.

122. By akcard on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

It would not surprise me if both Whiz and Max Hall are gone 3 years from now, and we will remember this as the beginning of the downfall. We have a poor team, witness a total of 5 free agents (Komar, Williams, Green, Jefferson, Hall) making the team. For a team to keep 5 free agents is not a good indicator of talent. In my estimation, the best we will do this year is finish at 500, 8-8. Whiz has done an excellent job as a head coach since arrival, however cutting ML is a huge mistake on his part, and a sign of bigger problems in the future. A coach can not win without talent, and we are bereft of talent, and Whiz knows it. To compare Hall to ML is a joke. ML stepped in his first year as a rookie, started, and won NFL games. Hall has not even started a professional game. For Whiz to go that far out on a limb for a rookie free agent, does not speak well on his judgement. A lack of talent on the team, and the inability to keep the best players on the team; that will be the downfall of Whiz.

Look at who we have lost (Q, Warner, Dansby, Rolle, ML) and compare it to who we have acquired (Faneca, Lenon, Rhodes, Anderson, Hall). WAKE UP, PEOPLE.

123. By XiKnight on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Given what you’ve seen in practice, do you see Hall taking over at any point this year without an obvious injury?

124. By Michael on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Just saw this on espn.com… I think it is a great piece about the life of Hamza Abdullah over the past month. Since it features a Cardinals player and has interviews fro Whiz and A Dub, I think its a great video for us all.

Please share it if you like: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5536248&categoryid=2378529

Thanks, and I love your articles and blog. Go Cardinals!

P.S.- I think they go 11-5 this year; possibly even 12-4 :)

125. By jsbaugh on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall –
    It was the first preseason game that skelton played. Hall didnt even play that game so who knows how he would have done. I do know that as the preseason went on Hall got better and Skelton didnt. He actually regressed from that first game. I know he is a rookie so Im not knocking him for that, but Hall was by far the better QB. Hall looks like a second year player to me, not an undrafted rookie where as Skelton is your typical wet behind the ears rookie.
    Skelton may turn into a good QB but your blind hatred of Hall is getting in the way of reality.

126. By jengland on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m reading posts about how Leinart doesn’t match the system. Great coaches make the systems match the players. Whiz is a phoney and a terrible coach. I don’t even like looking at him. He is so deceptive and dishonest.

127. By CZarr on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

“SSB – I would say Leinart has handled this situation with a lot more class than you and a lot of other fans on this board have.”

I el oh eld.

128. By joe on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

@ Big Red romo has done nothing for the cowboys really? He has only shattered every record ever set by a dallas QB granted he has had Leinhart like issue bad body posture, and a lack of leadership but he seem to have worked on it and lets face it there are games he forgets to show up but hey warner take a couple hits and he would dissaper sometimes too.People love to hate the cowboys and i think alot of that has been focused on Romo but he as preformed at a pretty high level if anything i would blame the coaches for there lack of success

129. By dan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Should have picked up Owen Schmitt.

130. By TucsonTim on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Not to change the subject, but did you see much of Myran Rolle during the work outs in TN. Might be a good pick up for us!

131. By Matt on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

While I agree that Leinart’s play on the field and his multiple off-the-field incidents undoubtedly played a part in the decision to go elsewhere and cut our losses with him, I can’t seem to agree why Whisenhunt, or anyone for that matter in the AZ front office is confident in Hall and Skelton as the next available option. Why not invest in a reliable veteran like say Jeff Garcia (who is currently rotting in the UFL)? We are one Will Witherspoon-esque hit from having Max Hall the starter. While it sure is inspiring to see a little guy running around trying real hard, it doesn’t seem realistic he can be an effective starter if need be. Not to mention the off-chance Anderson just can’t get his act together. The rest of the cuts are self explanatory and don’t really have a drastic or relevant impact on how the team will fare this season but Warner was at least 75% responsible for the success of the Cards the last 2 years and the triumvirate of Anderson/Hall/Skelton as replacements seems shaky at best and is putting a lot of our eggs in a very unstable basket, where we could very easily end up 6-11, not the ideal situation. While Leinart may have had a deer-in-the-headlights look and very often had an aura around him that promoted heiress pool parties rather than playoff bound seasons, he seems more poised to accept a potential start than the rookies who are missed block from being thrown in the lion’s den.

132. By Morgan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I completely agree with you Darren. 100%. While I dont like how Matt was treated, Im not getting mad over the situation for the exact reasons you mentioned. There is a LOT more going on than what we, as fans, see on TV and read in articles.

Its ridiculous for people to take out their frustrations on you. You are awesome. I love reading your replies to fans comments in your blogs. I’m a fan from Denver, so thats as close to the team and its inner workings as I can get.

So amidst the fun ol QB controversy… I just wanted to say, you rock, and thanks.

133. By bird on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Darren. We don’t see what happens in practice, and meetings. Keep up the good info Darren.

134. By BluePitt on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

All Good points, and I do remember you saying you would start Matt over D.A. And the comment was not to bash you about being a COMPANY stooge, it was to let you know I understand you cant throw ANY Card under the bus. (What team would want a person doing a blog who slams the team.) I am just mad about how this all went down, not loosing mad, but shady mad. I really don’t drink the Matade, that is for sure. I just thought it raw how it was done. I am sorry for throwing yA ON THE BARBY!!!

135. By nolan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

darren do you think the cards might have interest in signing newly released nathan vasher?
    or is greg toler the sure starter?
    thanks D

136. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

Veterans like that are free agents, not waivers. They won’t be coming here.

137. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Former Steeler —

I don’t know if saying Whiz is “high” on DA is exactly right. He is comfortable with Anderson right now, but there is a reason the Cards brought in a pair of rookies. Skelton has the raw tools. Is he a long shot? Probably. But they are going to work with him to see if he can pan out.

138. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Sean L —

I need to see what the new CBA looks like first. But you are right — lot of contract issues with which to deal.

139. By John l on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren and Blueprint,
    Just to add to your argument, I don’t think Matt did well in Tennessee. Remember, one of our scores came from a kick off return. Matt threw zero tds. This is a high powered offense. Matt played safe, just like this preseason. Nothing personal, but Matt and this offense just didn’t match. If Matt goes to a west coast offense or if he goes to a team with a great defense, like Dilfer did with Ravens, then he could do well. I am not saying Matt can’t be a qb, just he can’t be the cardinals qb, and it was foolish to think he could.

Darren, I asked about the cards looking at bringing in some players like OLBs Darrell Reid and Pierre Woods or Cb Nathen Vasher. Any talk? We are mighty thin at OLB.

140. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

XIKnight —

Only if Anderson plays really poorly.

141. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

Rolle was not that highly thought of going into the draft. Great kid, incredibly smart, but may not be cut out for the NFL.

142. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt —

There is a small possibility the comment just hit me at the wrong time. Don’t get me wrong, I said what I mean, but again, I don’t hold anyone’s feeling against them. I totally understand those frustrated with how the Matt thing went down.

143. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Nolan —

Toler will start. And they claimed former Cleve CB Brandon McDonald.

144. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

John L —

Haven’t heard about any other moves at this point.

145. By Papi1960R on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Good luck Matt! we have to move on and support DA and the rest of the team. I am disappointed in the political behavior of Coach W. and now the rest of the team knows that Fitz will swiftboat them if he thinks you won’t help his stats. Fitz maybe the star but Q was the soul of this team. KW went to Q first when games were tight. I wonder how well ML and DA would have looked with Q as a target.
    Thats all moot, now we have DA who has had one good year only, so I hope he proves my impression wrong. I still expect Max Hall to take over after 5-6 games.
    Hall will probaly be our QB for the next 6-8years.

146. By BluePitt on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Hay it is all good, I would have expected nothing less than the honest truth in your opinion. As I will always give the same, That’s why I love this Blog. You don’t tell people what they want to hear you call it how you see it.
    Thanks Again D.

147. By tkguy13 on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

there were 19 QB’s cut …is there someone there cards should sign as a 4th QB that has potential to be a strong #2

cards should go after viking and green bay defensive cuts …..i think there are good linebackers there

148. By Kurt on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m not a compulsive complainer & I do sympathize with the job the writers have. But the bottom line that nobody is firmly questioning is why the Cardinals would turn a strength into a weakness by having two veteran QB’s and cutting one of them with no replacement.

It also seems like a ridiculous P.R. stunt to interview Max Hall and then infer that since he SAYS he’s ready for the backup job, therefore he is ready for it. This sets a novel & amusing precedent for how to improve a roster. Some people for instance say that the Cardinals are thin at linebacker. Thin at linebacker? No problem. Let’s ask Reggie Walker if he considers himself a weakness on the team as a 2nd string LB. What’s that, Reggie, you say you’re ready to be an excellent 2nd string LB? Problem solved!

Finally, if Hall is really going to super-develop in time to be called upon in a game or three, who exactly does he learn from? I believe Derek Anderson can be effective in our system, with these players. But mentally speaking, his M.O. seems to be to pull as many pranks as possible, grin stupidly between plays and wing the ball as hard as he can in random directions. Maybe Hall can get his own gameplan sessions without Anderson sitting close by nailing the chalkboard with a bean shooter. Still, I can see this quagmire playing out in a dozen different ways this season, and many of them are bad. The depressing part is that the situation was probably avoidable.

149. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

tkguy —

They are going with these three QBs for now.

150. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Kurt —

You are making one leap in assumption, which is that having Leinart here was a strength. The coaches liked Hall’s potential much more than Leinart’s. And Leinart wasn’t going to be happy as a backup, to the point where there was a fear of poisoning the locker room. So would keeping Matt still make sense to you?

151. By PeterG on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

It looks like Matt just signed with the Texans. I guess we’ll see if we left anything on the table. Good luck, Matt. Go Cards!

152. By Ron on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

4-12

Book it.

153. By NCcardsfan on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

If Anderson is a bust (which i think he will), is there a possibility that they could cut Anderson and resign Matt? I think they should go back to Matt because he was progressing i believe. He didn’t have a single INT thrown in Pre-season and i think that was a major hurdle for Matt and he cleared it. In the playoff game against the Saints i think if they left him in they would have possibly won that game. Regardless of that.I mean i bought his jersey when he was a rookie. i have faith in Matt and believe if he was given more passing attempts in pre-season play he would have changed their minds Do you think there is any chance they will re-sign him once Anderson busts?

154. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

NCCards —

Leinart is not coming back. Period.

155. By Dre on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

I like to thank everyone who commented on my posts. I am really bothered with Whisenhut’s decision to bench Matt after the second preseason game and many thing that are happen with the Cardinals players. When he came out and anounced Matt the starter I thought it meant he would start some regular season game. Whisenhut has not been truthful with his intention hence…saying there wasn’t any trade talk at Docket press confenerce….bingo bango Matt you cut. Listen, you will go nuts trying to figure out what really happened. It looks like all our former player are doing well and I look forward to following thier seasons.

I believe Whisenhut to be a good coach but I’m not going to give him all the credit for two winning seasons in the NFC West division, especially after he was given the keys to a really nice car, I can see if he spent three to five year building a team for scratch and then went to the super bowl. Coach green was smart enought to draft Randy Moss when they had Chris Carter and he was smart enough to draft Fitz when we had Boldin. So we had all the pieces plus Todd Hailey called the plays that allowed Fitz to break some of Jerry Rice’s playoff records during the run to promise land.

I really hope I will get back to agreeing with the coach and respecting Derek Anderson game but right now they are going to have to prove it to me. When I see Whisenhut contradicting himself and dancing in his press conferences, he reminds me of a used car saleman trying to sale something that just doesn’t feel right.

I was wrong about Green’s last year as the coach it was 5-11. And for everyone who tried to answer my question “when was a last time a qb who was cut came to a new team a was successful” I’m only going to agree with Johnny Unitas but heck that was in the 50’s a whole different era. Kurt warner bagged groceries and then went to the arena league before become a back up Qb with the Rams, a whole different scenario. Steve young was traded to San Fran from Tampa in exchange for some good draft pickes.

I am a naive of Az and I lived in Bronco country for the past 15 years. I have took and dishes out lot over my home state teams. I defended Whisenhut after we lost players and coaches after the bowl and I will speak my mind and stick to my guns because I have earned the right to do so. It is really hard to follow any Az sport team from out of state especially the Cards because we get no respect on the national level unless we are in a situation in which we are now.

156. By Big Red on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Joe, I taught the idea was to win games and go to the Super Bowl, not break records and look cute. Just remember Dan Marino broke all those records. How many Championships did he get. ZERO, I dont think there were to many Dolphin fans happy during his career. I guess your happy with romo breaking those records, what did you get out of it. One play-off win in what ever years his been playing. Dallas will never win a championship during romos career, as for the coaching staff and owner they are a joke. Don’t get me wrong, as a team in general there alright, if only for the changes above. Go CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!! They should have gotten Lienart.

157. By Aaron on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

cards rock and they rock with all those great pplayers like fitz and dockett etc

2. Sep 5, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com