Leinart released UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on September 4, 2010 – 11:24 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt just told quarterback Matt Leinart Leinart is getting released. Whisenhunt is meeting with the media at noon. I’m sure that will be the news of the day, along with the long-expected news Derek Anderson will be starting. I’m also guessing Max Hall is going to be the backup, at least for now. I suppose there is a chance the Cardinals will look for a veteran backup quarterback, but the coaches really like what they’ve seen from Hall, and they may just stand pat for the time being.

UPDATE: Whisenhunt said Max Hall will be the backup –“He’s definitely not afraid,” Whisenhunt said — and that the Cards won’t be looking for a veteran to add. John Skelton will be the No. 3 QB. Whiz also praised Leinart for being so professional. They tried to trade him but nothing ever really got close.

“To be honest, for both parties, I think this was the best direction to go,” Whisenhunt said.

I am writing a full story for the site.

The other two players released today were LB Chris Johnson and RB Alfonso Smith.

Tags: , , , ,

187 Responses to “Leinart released UPDATE”

1. By Help on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

lmfao hahaha, nobody wants to give up anything for him, but he’ll do somewhere else how he was supposed to do us!! SO LONG & GOOD LUCK MATT!!

PS I TOLD U LMFAO

2. By DHALL on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW!! This is very surprising to me given the money and time we have spent on him? So what happens when DA had 6 int’s going into the bye week, we go to Max? With so much talent on this team we do this….not happy just venting and I hope I get proven wrong..lol

DHALL

3. By Billy Thomas on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Well that’s it folks. Matt Leinart is finally gone, and I think we’ll all be better off for it. If Whisenhunt can fine tune Anderson’s game to include some better touch passes, then I think we will do well. He seems like a good leader, and I’m looking forward to the season.

4. By Cam on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

This is great news the whole thing was not handled very well over the past few years so it is good to just cut your losses and move on. I think D.A.’s arm strength will give Fitz oppurtunities to make big plays down field. I wonder who else will be cut?

5. By Flood on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like this but I understand. I hope I’m wrong about Anderson. I will support this team but today sucks!

6. By Brian in Yuma on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Even with all that’s happened, I am still shocked. Oh well, the Cards will just keep chugging along!

7. By Sebastian Blax on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

With the roster cut picture becoming more clear, is there any chance AZ may pursue Houshmandzadeh since the Seahwaks let him go? I think he may be able to fit in as an adequate number two receiver to Fitz and his toughness would allow Whiz to put him in the slot and save Breaston from those inside shots.

8. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m really upset on how cardinals looked at this Season. It seems like its just a throw away year for us and I’m not with with that. We could have gotten mc nabb or cambell and we be a better team all together. The cardinals and leinart had chance to be mend this together who’s know what our fate is now I’m just soo mad we had chance after chance befor training camp. To get this togetherthe fans deserve an explantion

9. By Don't Take Losses on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is his own man, wow. Fearless. Gotta love it.

10. By Hector on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

what kind of move is that, seattle just released a qb also good move cards

11. By BluePitt on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW Didnt see this brewing!!!!

12. By Thomas77 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I still feel sorry for the guy. But I can’t say I’m not relieved. It’s time to put this behind us and move forward. Max Hall has lot’s of promise, and I feel that Anderson is coachable and can shore up some of those edges he’s a bit rough on.

13. By LadyCard04 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Will you have a live-stream of the presser? Not surprised but wish Leinart the best.

14. By Blair on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Maaaaan whiz is making it pretty hard for me to be the cardinals on madden this year. Anderson? Come on….

15. By addison on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

what the hell im still going to love the arizona cardinals but im not going to watch them any more man matt leinart waited so long to thats just gay

16. By J on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

3 years overdue. Not dissappointed in this decision at all. Leinart doesn’t show the traits of a leader on or off the field and he can not make a throw to a receiver without their backs to the end zone nor without a defender right there ready to clock them.

Good luck in the future for the Cards, but Leinart is just as big of a draft day bust as others.

17. By Andre on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

=)

18. By Marcos on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Will be interesting to see what Anderson will be able to do with the better receiving group he has in the Cardinals compared to Cleveland.

19. By jeff on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Huge mistake coach, Anderson didn’t work in Cleveland! How is he the answer?

20. By jwit on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

For better or worse… Good luck Matty
    Anderson – Hall – Skelton
    I’m comfortable with that
    Let’s Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. By Tjessee on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Stupid move for the Cardinals. Hopefully Leinart will be able to prove himself and come back to AZ just to beat them!!! I have been a loyal Cardinals fan for many years but I do not agree with the way Whiz handled this situation and played with Matts mind instead of just telling him he was not in the future. Waiting until the last preseason game to release him did not give him a fair chance of making another team. I hope Whiz loses his job because of this, I have lost all respect for him today.

22. By Jcaswellsr on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Bout time. Nuff said.

23. By GMoney on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

This is a mistake. I’ve always like what coach whiz has done. They didn’t really give him a good shot in the preseason. Boldin said whiz never like Leinart. Sad to see him let his personal feelings get in the way.

24. By Cody Copeland on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know why they would just release Leinart. Could have got a trade out of him. He will go on to be another teams starter.

25. By Lucas Beckett on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

i really thought we could have gota draft pick or a vet for leinart.. what dou you think darren? it’s better to release him or trade him?

26. By RD on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow. Figured it was coming, as would be pretty unusual to keep four QB. Must be they did not get a reasonable offer for him. I have never been a huge Leinart fan, and think his “attitude and interviews” were some of his downfall but hoped he would step up and wanted to see what he could do. I still would have liked to see him thrown in a “make it or break it situation” more but I have a lot of faith in Coach and figure he has the inside facts and knows what he is doing. I also think the rookies are going to be great, just need some time so I hope it all works out. Obviously, the teammates must have also have leaned toward this as Coach has always stated chemistry was another important factor. I think we will be OK, we just have to get over the past Warner era and move forward.
    Keep up the good work Darren and Go Cards!!

27. By Happycard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I am so happy they finally got rid of this guy! He is immature and does not act like he cares, well now he does not have to care!

28. By cardshark on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

are we going after Houshmanzadeh now that we’ve cut ties with Leinart? i keep hearing that rumor

29. By Brian R. on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Please give Max Hall a chance… Matt really didnt do much for the organization… Im not feeling a good vibe from Skelton and Anderson…

30. By Bob Christianson on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

For Sale: Two slightly used Cardinal Jerseys, number 7!

31. By Calvin on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

wow….

32. By Happycard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, does this mean we still have to pay his salary for the year since we could not trade him?

33. By BevMo on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s a sad day for Matt. I take it no one else wanted him as a starter and his misguided pride would not allow him to be a backup. For months I have wanted to take him by the shoulders, shake him and scream, “Snap out of it and get your act together!” I never realized that he was less a man, and still a child. Speaking to the media like he did, was just plain wrong. How could his team follow a whiner? Guess they won’t have to. Good lucj Matt wherever you end up.

34. By doughboy on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

cleveland fans are laughing at us right now.

35. By BluePitt on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I feel bad for all of you that were lead to believe Matt was the guy all the way up till the 4th game in the preseason while they were selling all those Black #7 jerseys..

36. By OLdude on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good luck to you Matt. —-I wonder how much detail will be given at the noon presser about the reasons for the release.

37. By SEC 113 RW 10 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Seriously???

I couldn’t be more polar on this. Matty doesn’t deserve to jerked around like a backyard dog–albeit he doesn’t deserve to be a part of this team either.

Why would Wiz (who is GOD sent), play with Matty like this. Yesterday he tells him he’s safe. Today he’s cut.

Come on… we can do better than that. This is NOT Cardinal football.

Matty has been a better team player than to be treated like this.

I agree that he didnt have a good preseason but he wasn’t a distraction either.

38. By cj on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall will be the starting qb for the cardinals.What do you think darren about Max starting?

39. By Rweaver on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I feel bad for Matt, but he didn’t appear to look like he was confident. He looked afraid to risk down field passes & dildn’t see his options lquick enough. Even as a rookie Matt Hall reallly appears unafraid to throw on the move or take a hit and sees open recelivers. I feel Leinart really should have looked like a stronger leader and have had a stronger skill set after all his time in Arizon & opport;unity to lealrn from K Warner. I wish him the best of luck with another team.

40. By dan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe we released Leinart for Derek Anderson…..please. I think this comes from Max Hall more than Derek Anderson. Well, I totally disapprove of cutting Leinart but we will see what happens. I mean I’m sure he knows the playbook more than an QB on the roster.

41. By Frank B. on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I feel like a friend has died, and the funeral will last all year long.. You guy’s have been swimming in the shallow part of the pool…soon you will be thrown into the ocean. I hope coach Whiz has a life jacket!!!

42. By Ben on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Ok, first of all Red Birds for Life. I love them Cardinals but can’t get behind this decision. I hope it works out for us, I really do, but Anderson’s stats were terrible in preseason. His percentage was not much better than 50% and he turned the ball over numerous times. I don’t put much stock in preseason, but seriously, his performance was sub-par at best. Not saying Leinart was spectacular but he did not have as many opportunities and his percentage was great and he had no turnovers. I really want this to work out for us, I just want us to win, but I think Whiz let personal feelings get the best of him in this one.

43. By azkern on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

In Whiz we trust.

44. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Do you think Whisenhunt is being consistent with his beliefs and philosophies? Wells shows up to all the volunteer stuff and works his butt off and gets traded because Lutui has played better in the preseason but put himself before the team all summer and gained a million pounds. Why would you want a selfish player on the most selfless spot on the team in offensive guard? I don’t think that shows the rest of the team a good example of how to be.

Then Leinart loses the job a couple years ago and is the back up and works hard over the summer. He clearly looked uncomfortable and tried to change his game to what Whisenhunt wanted. So he plays like a beaten dog and afraid to make a mistake. And everyone wonders why? He was never given a fair chance.

I think Whisenhunt has been inconsistent because it’s either about putting the best players on the field at that specific time or being loyal to guys who try and do what you want, but please don’t tell us how a guy is in your dog house, only to start him and trade a guy who has given this organization a lot over the last years.

I have agreed with Whisenhunt over the last couple years, but for whatever reason, this season and moves have a different feel to it. Just disappointed because I believed Whisenhunt to be different than how its gone down this year.

Oh and this isn’t the first time a break down in communication has occured. Why do players get the silent treatment?

45. By Brandon on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow – long live Whiz. Wonder who will Pick him up. Darren, any thoughts on who will grab him up. Doubt hawks can afford him. Although they like to pick up our players and tune never play them (edge, morey)

46. By Greek from Boston on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Skelton played better than Leinart this pre-season. Leinart had to go. Leadership qualities were lacking. No spark to the guy.

47. By Jedihillis on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I really feel bad for Matt, but I trust Wiz. I’m not sold on DA at all yet, but he has looked good in the last couple pre-season games. I guess it makes the most sense for the organization to let go of a guy who is being paid millions to be a back up. Hopefully, they can put that extra cap room to some good use.

Best of luck Matty!

48. By Rweaver on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I wish I was surprised that Leinart was released. I feel bad for him and wish him the best with another team. He dildn’t look confident & played that way.Was not throwing downfield & appeared afraid of interceptions. Thought he should have looked much stronger by now after 4 yrs with Cardinals. Max Hall looks unafraid to try anything.I like how he looks. Doesn’t look much like a rookie to me !

49. By chris freeman on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

as SOON AS I SAW SKelton PLAY IN THE FIRST GAME AND THE WAY MAX HALL PLAYED THERE AFTER IN THE PRESEASON PRETTY MUCH DEFINED IT. WHEN YOUR 5 YEAR 1ST ROUND PICK IS UPSTAGED BY AN UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT AND A 5TH ROUND PICK, THATS ALL THERE IS TO TELL U ITS TIME TO LET LEINART GO.

50. By cards>niners on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren- do you think this was a wise decision?

51. By JohnnyV on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Get Some.

52. By chem dawg on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

i guess developing hall & skelton outweighs giving matt his chance. a chance whiz dont wanna take from what he seen in leinart this pre-season. to me it seems like matt was gun-shy and lacked the confidence to take shots downfield and failing to read the whole field. settling for dump offs to his checks. also seemed like he lacked leadership and didnt take charge of the offense causing the offense to stall and produced too many 3 and outs. it was his chance to step up and he fell short. good luck matt where ever you go.

53. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow…. How does A.J. Jefferson make the team? I would have thought he would have been the first guy cut

54. By alex on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

that sucked they didnt even give him a chance his stats were even better than andersons

55. By Stevie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Too bad about Alfonso. He really did some good things against the Skins. I don’t remember him getting injured. Any chance he will clear waivers and make the practice squad?

56. By Mikel AZ on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren, seems like the cards need more linebackers???

57. By robert on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

wow cant belive it i cant belive it had so much faith in that guy. well it is what it is. well anderson better hit the floor running

58. By Lonnie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

They should have offered Leinart to Pitt for Hartwig or to the Lions for Jensen

59. By Nick Pepe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Ok. Let’s move on. I trust our staff.

60. By Jzoully on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, I’m not going to say that I saw this coming because I honestly didn’t. I’m going to miss Matt, but even the most painful moves have to be made if you want to win a superbowl.

61. By Mr Know It All on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good Bye QB Matt L your career here was a tough one. I thought you would do what QB Aaron R did in Green Bay after HOF bound QB Brett F left. I guess after HOF bound QB Kurt W left and HC K Whiz made you the starter you just went through the motions never really taking charge. Now I want to see how you respond. Is your so called career over in this NFL. Maybe the UFL will come calling. Anyway you got your money so you have the last laugh right. See ya or not.

62. By Wampag on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

wow it had to happen he just isn’t a leader…and that makes three jerseys now defunct GO CARDS

63. By card62 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

We saw this coming, but I hoped Whiz would hold onto Matt until we found a veteran backup several weeks into the season or try to trade him for something. QBs go down in this league and trade value goes up.I do like what I have seen from Hall and Skelton especially Hall, but they are green.
    Well Anderson I sure as heck, (edited for family reading) did not want you to be my starting QB, but you are now so good luck in leading our team and please make most of us look foolish including me for doubting you and for still doubting you which I do. Go Cards!!!

64. By Erroneous Flint on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Big mistake and kind of crappy. When DAnderson was drafted i tagged him as being the next Peyton Manning, but I also had hoped that Leinart would be a franchise QB. You cant say he failed. Being a Cards fan this was a bad move, but for Leinart maybe he will have a shot, a legitimate shot with someone (Pitts?) and have the time he needed. He’s a brilliant player who never had a chance to show it. Sadly, he aged a bit while we wasted him on the sidelines with a clipboard. First time I feel Whisenhunt screwed up with a personnel decision. I would have given him three games to take the team. No questions asked. Nothing said. 3 games. This may come back to bite us. Hopefully not, but it was not completely a thoroughly thought out decision, unless if Whisenhunt was looking out for Leinhart’s interest.

65. By Suzanne on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Well it sucks but the decision is made and time to move on. All the best Matt. Let’s go Cardinals!
    Darren: what’s your feeling on the reception that Derek Anderson will receive from fans? I will be behind him as I think we should support our team, but some fans are pretty fickle.

66. By LUKE on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

i was reading ther tweets.what exactly does whiz mean when he says hall “obviously doesnt like utah very much”?

67. By Linda Hutchison on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Only the future will tell if coach made the correct decision. It would have been a pure joy to see Matt grow and “flower” with proper tutelage, however, it absolutely appears, as everyone has speculated, that “Matt was not one of coach’s boys” — the great Kurt Warner happened to be chosen over Matt at one point, thus he became “one of the coach’s boys” and…he did not believe in taking negativity — he worked within his positive framework. This positive environment does not seem to be nurtued under the coach, especially if you are “not one of his boys”! We do have season tickets and, hopefully, we will want to continue supporting our Cardinals. And speaking of positive enouragement — NEVER see coach smile or show positive energy on the sidelines to players or…! Didn’t he say that he did not see enough emotion from Matt Leinart?

68. By azjoe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

did anyone read the ml article on foxsports.com written by nancy gay called “analysis: what went wrong”. wow, she tore matt up and threw him to the dogs.

go cards

69. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Sebastian —

Don’t see TJ, but I could be wrong. Not sure they need that attitude, especially with Stephen Williams.

70. By Andre on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Just WOW.

I expected the Cards to make the playoffs this year even with ML. They better make the playoffs now. Anderson is looks good, but “I’ve seen guys look good a few times and not do anything later on”…(a little whiz logic there). As a fan, I trust this decision, if we don’t succeed now and somehow DA blows up as he has done in the past, Whisenhunt will lose my trust.

71. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Lucas —

They tried to trade him. No one wanted him.

72. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

HappyCard —

No. The Cards owe him nothing.

73. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

CJ —

74. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

It always comes down to who can play the best. The rest is important to a point, but if it’s determined someone is better than you, you know what happens. Tell me you didn’t have that in high school. It’s the law of the athletic jungle.

75. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Cards> —

I think it was an inevitable decision.

76. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Mikel —

Yes it does.

77. By cardfan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I understand why they did this move with lienart, i understand he didnt have the most yards but very solid on not turning the ball over. but the players around him didnt seem to have the same motavation as they did when anderson was in.

78. By Leighton on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt was not a good fit, never has been. Even when given chances last year he could not deliver. He will fit in elsewhere. Coach made the right call, better than keeping him sitting on the sidelines.

79. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Suzanne —

I think if he plays well, people will love him. If he doesn’t, they won’t. Same with every other QB.

80. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Luke —

It was a joke. Last year Hall, a BYU player, blasted the University of Utah and their fans.

81. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Linda —

He never said anything about Matt’s emotions.

82. By CaliCard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

AZ sure has lousy luck in drafting outside linebackers. My guess is that we’ll go for Lamarr Woodley from PIT next year or recruit the linebacker scout from PIT to help us get the job done.

83. By GEO on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

HAHA THERE IS ALWAYS GROCERY BAGGING!

84. By akcard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Some of the reasons for discarding ML that I am hearing is disturbing; he doesn’t show good body posture, doesn’t show confidence, didn’t take control of the team, etc. It is just a bunch of b.s., blah, blah, blah. The man should be judged solely for how he performed on the field, period. If Whiz wants to cut ML for not performing this pre-season, fine, I have no problem with the decision. But to make the decision based on all of these other subjective factors is just a bunch of baloney.

ML was stepping up and showing character when he spoke up to Whiz, asking for an explanation for his demotion. I am a Whiz fan, but he is wrong on this.

85. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Lol I coudnt agree more

86. By Gang6230 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good move for the cards we have better chances with Anderson than
    Ml. It was just a matter of time before this could happen given that leinart did not make the best of opportunities The coach did the right thing. Football is about winning with whoever are the best. Go Cards

87. By greg on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

This is BS they had this planned from the beginning of this season! They had to be bumming out when Mat performed 40 pts better than Anderson in the first game. And also in the second! Then come up with the BS he was not getting it down the field? Matt was not calling the plays! Do they think were stupid. I started my season tickets when they drafted Matt and I will be cancelling them after this year. I am from St Louis, living in Phoenix now. I have followed these losers for 40+ years. As long as the Bidwells are involved, they will be losers! A really disgusted fan. They never did give Matt a chance. He will be performing well in the NFL this year.

88. By Kurt on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whisenhunt. – Made my day, great decisions once again, this will be a season to remember.
    Adios playboy QB – Hello Max

89. By Mr Know It All on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Seems like if you played here before HC K Whiz took over your days in a Cards uniform are numbered. Who is left you ask from the bad ol days; SS A Wilson, WR L Fitz, DL D Dockett, OL Deuce L, NT G Watson. They could all be Cards till they retire. These are Core players. Hard to replace but don’t be surprised if a name or two above are gone at this time next year.

90. By DB on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

All of you that keep saying that Matt played well in preseason must have been reading the box score and not watching the games. He did not complete a single pass that was in the air greater than 10 yards. I could complete 80% of my passes if I threw nothing but screens. His touchdown to Breaston was a 5 yard pass on 3rd and goal from the 12 yard line that Breaston made an unbelievable play. ESPN did an analysis of every pass he threw and the average distance in the air was like 2.5 yards.

91. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Now why would. Tj wanna come here with our shaky situation at qb not ideal place for a wr

92. By arch on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whiz has a great deal of credibility at risk here. My best to the Cards, to Whiz, to Matt and to DA.

93. By Doug on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Must be tough for Whiz to make that decision. On the side note, if DA falters this season & the cards do not make the playoffs this season, there’s always the 2011 nfl draft. I just hope they do think about drafting that kid from Washington Huskies; Jake Locker or a quarterback that will fit into whiz’s offense. That would be AWESOME!!!

94. By Andre on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you akcard. I expect the cards to do well, and hope they do. But all this about “character, and chemistry” is B.S. I don’t wan’t our team to be the Dallas Cowboys. Tony Romo has all the respect from his team, but they still suck.

95. By GlendalePat on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Leinart had opportunities. As a fan I can only go by wat I see. Coach has better knowledge and insight. Gotta have faith in Coach Whiz. As for Anderson, you don’t make the Pro-Bowl w/o talent. Remember another washed up qb who got booed here. His name was Warner. Not sayinng DA has same talent level just gotta give him a chance before making decision

96. By Jones from IL on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think DA had a good supporting cast in Cleveland. I think he will do VERY WELL with the Cardinals with our great receivers. If DA and Matt were of “equal” talent, then it was more of a financial decision perhaps. I think releasing Matt was a good move. GO BIG RED! Driving down from Chicago to St.Louis for the season opener.

97. By DB on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Greg, I have been a fan of the Cardinals about as long as you have but I can not disagree with you more. 10 years ago Mr. B would have never allowed them to cut Matt due to the amount of money he had invested in him. It is clear under this new leadership that they will play whoever they think is the best no matter where they were drafted or how much they have paid the player. I own a couple of Leinart jerseys. I hoped he would turn out to be a great player. Something is just off. He checks down way too fast. You would have ripped your hair out all year when he continued to throw 4 yard passes on 3rd and 8.

98. By ZippityCardsFan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

DA has more weapons here than the Browns had, and also a better coach. I’m just surprised Whiz is not bringing in a veteran that’s willing to be a backup. I can’t believe if DA gets hurt, Max will come in and face starters when the games really count. We have too much talent on this team to possbily really on an undrafted rookie QB! Go DEREK!

99. By To Mas on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

To be honest, looking at Leinarts stats, he has more interceptions then touchdowns. 14 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in his last 29 games.. TERRIBLE.. He’s been here for so long, and every time he starts he loses his starting position to the back up.. Im not surprised that no team was interested in making a trade for him, and am glad he’s gone. He can go play scared on another team, we don’t need him in AZ!

100. By rwdobson2 on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Wish Matt best of luck but it was time to move on for both parties.

101. By Erroneous Flint on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Many people on the board not completely seeing the Cardinal team that we have now with much clarity. It’s human instinct to be pessimistic and find fault I guess. Although I would have felt like a team commitment was followed through on by at least working Leinart into the Cardinal game until it became completely clear that he was not a good fit in what we are doing, I feel very comfortable with this year’s team and yes, moreover, with the coaching. I’m not living with them 24/7 so maybe there is something that may have stood out that pointed more to a lack of team unity than anything else. I will always support my belief in Leinart as a professional player, but I am a Cardinal fan and I want us a championship. The last game of the 2005 season, I believe it was, vs. the Colts, that I first began to root for the Cards, after many years as a dysfunctional Dolphins fan. Selecting the historically worst franchise gave me back love for the game. Rooting is an art. I wanted the Phins to take McNabb when he was drafted. I wanted the Phins to take DA. Next draft I began to believe the vision of lefty-bomber Leinart sparking a Cards dynasty over a stretch of time. Anything can still happen but it’s also funny how DA is here. I’m not unhappy at all. Other than a thin linebacking tandem, if we can stay healthy we will have that championship this year or next year. I see us being dominant this year. Good coaching, good vision. This coach is 3/4 of the way towards his own vision. That is what I feel.

102. By SJH on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

You can’t teach heart.
    So much for the wonderlic test.
    Hey Matt, start saving your money by cutting down on your visits to Ghost Bar with celebrity skanks and former boy band members.
    It’s time to get a real job like the rest of us.

103. By clssylssy on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I think anybody can see this is about Whisenhunt wanting Hall as a starter and is rebuilding the team “in a different direction” (and in his defense that is exactly what he was contracted to do). It is very disappointing that Whisenhunt didn’t show more integrity and let Matt and Reggie, Monty and others go earlier when he knew that they didn’t fit with “the different direction” that was his grand plan. I wish the best for all of these guys, who have worked hard toward making a contribution for this organization, only to be jerked around. I know that winning at any cost is still winning to alot of fans but I’m afraid our karma is about to get us.

104. By Rich Peters on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Yes: We owe Leinart Nada!! I’ve been nervous for weeks.. In Coach Wiz I Trust.. And Im in California, Go Cards.. Im still missn Kurt, good luck with your new career. Oh and GO DEVILS!!!!!!!

105. By Jimbo12n on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

When we fail to meet out expectations at the end of the year, we will look at this decision. I have greatly admired Coach Whisenhut and what he has accomplished, but I do not like this decision. When Anderson gets hurt and Hall tries valaintly but makes rookie mistakes, we will lose games we should have won. When Leinart was a rookie he had several 4th quarter comebacks and was getting better on a team that was not as good as it is now. Green leaves and Whisenhut arrives. Whiz has an attitude with young players. He wont start them unless he absolutely has too. He wants them to prove themselves. Matty proved himself before Whiz got here. An injury to Leinart gave Kurt his chance. Since then Leinart has never really played well. Watch the playcalling in the preseason games. In my opinion Leinart did not get a fair shake. For me, Whisenhut has took a team Green put together and had success. Whiz wants his stamp on the team. He has it now, We will see where it leads.

106. By XiKnight on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

How anyone questions Whiz is beyond me. The man has shown over and over that the teams best interest comes before draft status and everything else…..Darren, is Max cemented at the 2 or does Skelton have a chance at it?

107. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

After warners gone the team looks like a dear in front of headlights. Just knew 2years ago somthing like this would go down I hoping we could get vick when he got out of prison to give us options. When warner retired I saw this coming too bad I’m not in the fron office

108. By Eric Y on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Haha. I’m on this train too

109. By kayceygirl on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

LOVE IT !!! Matt Whine-art always blames everyone else for his own failure. Didn’t get to play with the First Team Offensive Line. Didn’t get a chance to prove himself. Did prove himself but Whiz doesn’t like him. BLAH BLAH BLAH!! ML was a waste of money and time from the very beginning. He never dedicated himself to being a Football MAN. He got the money, sure but he will always be just like another Heisman Trophy whiner Ryan Leaf (everyone else’s fault for his failure too) and somehow reminds me of the current USC coach Lane Kiffin. Hate to insult ML like that but it is true. The fire isn’t in him. I watched Hall the other night and was shocked (and pleased) at the fire, desire and maturity in Hall on the field and on the sideline. Leinart never even acknowledged his teammate (typical). Hall was having FUN with the game, something ML will need to learn or go home forever. GLAD HE IS GONE!!

110. By Mr Know It All on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

The main reason QB Derek A looked so bad in Cleveland is the fact that when HC Eric M took over in Cleveland his style of coaching did not mesh well with QB DA the HC Man Genius was so into weird details and so complex it actually had an effect on the entire Cleveland team like the HC took the fun out of playing football. The players never did grasp his coaching style until late last season. Now bring in GM Mike H and Cleveland is starting all over again.

The good news is that QB Derek A is at the helm of a very talented Cards team, he is a vertical passer not a check down artist like(Matt L) and with the Cards OL still figuring out the run blocking it’s fair to say the Cards with their strong corp of WR’s will still be throwing the ball all over the field.
    NFC WEST CHAMPS again baby!!!!

111. By Joe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Yeah when all the teams came out saying they weren’t interested this was only choice left you can’t pay the kinda money he was due to a back up and hope he gets his head straight. I ,like many other cardinals fans, was drooling at his potential but every week it’s was like he was playing underwater just never seemed that into it I wanted to drive down and give him e a pep talk. That’s not he kind of demeanor you want from a playoff caliber teams leader. He just never got on board I really dislike the idea of Anderson leading this team he cant throw a short pass that won’t bounce of the hand of a wide open receiver to save his life< like the pass he threw to the tight end last play of first drive against skins softer ball would've been a TD or very close. But if you keep lienhart say goodbye to fitz catching the ball down field and in this instance you have the best receiver in football although andre is very close and to lose him as a threat is worse than anderson throwing a few int's. Hopefully Matt will find a place were he fits in causse he does have the skills in the right system to win games if Titans didnt already have VY that would be were i would see him fitting the best.

112. By johnnybluenose on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

who knows whether leinart becomes anything more than a backup but you can’t succeed as a qb throwing 2 yard passes and that’s mostly what he did here for 4 years. i don’t believe he was given much of a chance this year and i think whiz was just blowing smoke when he would say things like how much leinhart had improved. that was not truthful and the organization should have moved him a couple of years ago when he still had some value. this was badly handled. i hope our qbs can play and i hope our guys are excited to play with them…something they did not show with leinart. despite leinart saying it was his team, despite his moving his locker to the o-line’s and sucking up to them, it obviously counted for nothing. if leinart has any desire left for this game i hope he at least gets a chance to fail. he didn’t get that chance here.

113. By Bow on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

This is exciting, the defending two time NFC West champs now have an experienced, pro bowl quarterback running the show.

114. By Paul on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whisenhunt never gave Matt a chance, He was never one of his boys. I can see Matt going to a franchise who will actually show him that they have faith in him and come back and whoop the Cards and have the last laugh. Bad move Coach. Good luck Matt, come back for your revenge.

115. By Deveau on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I notice Schofield wasn’t placed on the PUP list, (Or did I miss it?) does that mean the organization expects him to be ready for week one? I’d appreciate your thoughts on both the ILB and OLB units. Also, when should we expect a depth chart?

Kind regards,

Cris

116. By Paul on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Anderson was a BUST in Cleveland, he will be a bust in AZ….

117. By JB on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

In my opinion we didnt give Matt a chance to succeed but when we was in the game it was horrible to watch. He was gun shy and always checked down. Good move to release him but we need to evaluate how we draft and see if the players we are drafting can make an impact and not waist the money we would be spending on them.

118. By Erroneous Flint on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

One series for a QB (Anderson) resulting in a FG, then pulling him to the sideline pretty much summed up who was starting vs StLouis. DA’s & MHall’s game are the kind of games you want to see played universally. There’s no fear in either one of them.

Matt’s game was a little tentative and safe. It’s the kind of game you want to see when the long ball is taken away but this doesn’t apply to every defense out there.

119. By PeterG on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

So it’s over. I have mixed feelings, but at least everyone knows where they stand. Best of luck, Matt. OK team, onward and upward.

120. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

XiKnight —

Hall is cemented as No. 2. He is far ahead of Skelton at this point.

121. By ben on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

hey darren hows my credibility now, i told you a month ago this was gonna happen and you were defending liensuck tooth and nail. looks like i now a little about this game. thanks for the info

122. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Deveau —

Schofield is on a list similar to PUP. Same rules. Depth chart early next week. I will try and write about the LBs later.

123. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

You’re my hero. Thanks for gracing us with your presence.

124. By cardsfan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

its going to be funny when nobody picks him up then all u ml fans will cry just say

125. By Paul on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt did look like a scared kid when he played. Imagine if you made a mistake and then your Coach crawled all over you every time you did, it would make you a little gun shy too. I doubt if Coach W ever sat him down and said you are our guy here are the riegns lead this team. Whisenhunt and the orginization never really gave him his chance. Bad move Coach and bad move Cards for letting that happen….

126. By zigged on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

As a long time FAN of the Cleveland Browns, I cannot express how bad DA
    is, he stinks at QB, he throws the ball like its a bomb. I feel this is a terrible
    tragedy for the Cards… I am partial to the Cards..
    due to Beanie Wells,”Go Bucks”, To bad Kurt retired.
    DA will get you know where..

127. By John Doe on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

This is a great decision!
    1. Leinart didn’t play well in preseason, despite his ‘ok’ numbers
    2. The players didn’t have confidence in Leinart and he was a bad team leader
    3. Don’t hate on Whiz because he had to make a tough decision
    4. This is not a ‘throw away’ year as some of you are saying, we have a good shot at going deep into the playoffs this year.

128. By Donnie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what’s our focus now? Our linebacking corps and our defensive backs are still slim…. are we now looking at cut players to determine who to add? And what about our TEs? FBs?

129. By Cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is a loose cannon, his 2nd QB is undrafted. That should tell everyone he is NOT good at seeing talent. Didn’t Whiz recently get a new contract, I guess that has led him to believe he doesn’t have to be upfront with the fans or anyone else. When I listen to him, I cringe. I believe almost nothing he says and won’t be listening to any of his “pressers” etc…Low down like a snake! I feel sorry for the players and anyone else who continues to say “In Whiz we trust.” Whiz certainly doesn’t treat everyone equal. To be a starting player on the Cards means you to be a Whiz pet(brown nose), and you can become his pet overnight just like Lutui. Yesterday Whiz said he didn’t know what to do about Matt, and today he suddenly does? How can anyone believe anything this guy says? If Whiz was an honest man, he would offer to buy all Leinart jerseys sold after Warner retired. I hope nobody hold their breath. Card fans are one play away from having a non-drafted player playing QB. I think I could’ve found a better # 2 than that. I can see Hall becoming just like Leinart he rides the bench all year/ DA plays well and doesn’t get hurt because Whiz absolutely doesn’t know how to keep out of the way from developing QB talent. Whiz is responsible for making Matt into what he was while with the Cards, I don’t see how anyone can blame Matt for anything. Good luck Matt!!!

130. By Dynosoar on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Luke

Max Hall played for BYU. University of Utah and BYU have a rivalry that goes back not decades, but generations. It’s called the Holy War and the two teams feel the same way about each other as we feel about the Cowboys. (for 33 years I’ve had two favorite teams, the Cardinals and anyone playing the Cowboys.)

There are fans (not representative, but enough of them) on both sides that get real ugly (and I’m not talking the mirror in the morning ugly that I face.)

According to Max in an interview, some Utah fans spit on his family members at their game in 2008 (and Utah even won). He stated it wasn’t the Utah Footbal team he didn’t like, but some fans. Well, all teams have those fans. He really stirred things up around the Mountain West with that one.

Max Hall has the most wins of any quarterback in BYU history. A history that includes Steve Young, Ty Detmar and that McMann fellow (sorry, but he did play for Da Bears). I can’t understand how he and Stephen Williams went undrafted. I like our quarterback options this year.

131. By Pete on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I really don’t remember the whole Matt is safe
    I just remember “we have had a chat” or “we have sat down on occasion”
    Focus on what the cards have:
    right now that isn’t the greatest show on turf straight out of Walmart so of course the season is going to be more difficult
    but fitz has the potential to remain a deep threat if someone can air it out and matt just isn’t a long bomb guy
    the cards also have nothing to lose by building up their run game and reliance on it
    i mean defense is defense and it might not be the raven’s d but its still an exciting d
    people are like “matt didn’t get a chance” is 4 seasons with a hall of fame mentor not good enough any more? does someone have to hold his damn hand?!
    that means he had 5 preaseasons and some regular season playing time when kurt was injured thats 20+ games where he got over 50% of the snaps
    if you can’t make a handful of plays that whiz expects from a starting qb
    then how do expect to play the rest of the season?
    even children can be upset about a decision but good players speak with performance and it wasn’t there
    he played even worse than when kurt was there
    1st string isnt a gift it’s earned and attitude determines if people want to work with u or not

132. By Zapp on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Is there a position you see the Cardinals going after a bigger name of the waivers now that cuts are over?

133. By lee on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I promise all of you that Max Hall is not the future!! Ive watched him for 3 years at BYU and his arm is below average, and he is a emotional train wreck!! You will never see Hall start for a NFL team. If Anderson doesnt work out the Cards will be scrambling!!! There is a reason he wasnt drafted, if he always played aginst every teams 3rd string he might be average!!!

134. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Donnie —

Good questions all. I’m going to wait to see.

135. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Zapp —

Not at the moment. Not sure what is out there.

136. By R Robles on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck Matt Hope You go To A System Where You Can Sucseed to Bad It Wasnt Hear I Cheered For You All The Way But It Just Wasnt meant To Be.BEST OF LUCK MATT!!!!!!

137. By Cardsalltheway on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is inconsistent as a coach and needs to stay away from the QB coach, let Chis Miller do the job or Hall and Skelton will = Leinart.

138. By Joel L. on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, would it be possible for you to paste the question you are answering when you respond? It would make things a lot easier. Not that your day revolves around making my life easier…. :)

139. By tdevil on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

hey people, its time to get a WINNER! Arizona Caridinals have not had a winner
    until the Ken Whizenhunt era. I dont want my receivers getting injuredy by poor
    quaterback play. I dont want my players wondering whether my quarterback can
    move the chains. I dont want my fans venting “boos” because my quaterback isnt
    able to perform to their satisfaction. MAX HALL is our GUY! GO MAX! HE WILL
    REPLACE MATT AND DERECK. JOHN SKELTON MAY BE THE NUMBER 2. ITS TIME THIS SPORTS TEAM NOT ONLY STRIVE BUT THRIVE AND NO REGRETS BECAUSE INJURIES TO OUR RECEIVERS WILL BE LIMITED BY
    THE QUARTERBACK PLAY OF MAX HALL!

140. By Dylan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

idk how any person that has never succeeded in the nfl can call anyone a bust because plz most of the people saying this crap about ML haven touched a football since there highschool years… just because ML didn do great under whiz doesn mean he is a bust yet thats what tampa was saying about steve young…. wonder where that went

141. By Dynosoar on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Cardinal fan since St. Louis (since childhood) and I like tradition. We’re the Cardinals and not the Raiders. I wish if we are to wear the black uniforms twice a year, they could be away games so we could still see the red uniforms eight times (plus post season). They do look good; just as long as they don’t replace the red I’ll be pleased.

I like our draft. Having a Tennessee player on my Cards is a dream. I wonder how Max Hall feels about having Washinton on the same team, Washington was a thorn in his side in their college days. Great draft. Williams, Komer and Hall are great coups after the draft.

I wanted and want to see Matt succeed, (just not against the Cardinals). There was a lot of talk about Matt not turning the ball over, well what do you call a punt? I noticed in several pre-season (I know,it’s pre-season) how many drives Skelton and Hall took into the endzone as opposed to a punt or field goal.

Darren, can you post how the drives ended for each of the four quarterbacks? How many touchdons, field goals, punts or turnovers vs attempts.

142. By akcard on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

For all of you who complain that all ML did was throw check down passes and doesn’t throw the deep ball. Look at the past 3 years of Kurt Warner’s yardage per attempt with the Cardinals; 7.3, 7.6, and 7.7. ML’s stats are comparable to Kurt’s. This argument against ML is just another b.s. excuse to justify one’s own preference without facts.

143. By ben on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

no thank you Mr. Urban for all your wonderful insights, you are appreciated and respect by all!

144. By joe again on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz made the right decision. He gave ML every opportunity to prove himself. He handled this whole thing with fairness and class.

Anderson will do much better with this offense, this system, and this coach than he did in Cleveland.

The team had no faith in ML. He was not a leader.

This is great news. We look good for this season.

145. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

What’s yall gamer tag what system do u play on we can all get together on team up and run with cardinals all day

146. By Logan Cooper on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I am blown away by the amount of people that have come out of the woodwork the last couple weeks. Guess that’s how it goes when football season starts.

Welcome bandwaggers.

147. By Stephen Brockway on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

A few observations on Matt:
    No rapport with the rest of the team. He stood on the sideline on an island.

A narcissistic stance toward overestimating his contributions and underestimating the need to gather support from teammates, ala celebrating his one touchdown in isolation which Breaston really engineered, as opposed to Anderson’s healthy relating when the whole team scored.

Reacting in the mode of narcissistic injury and brooding when others did not share his exalted view of himself. And even taking that to the media in an underhanded fashion.

Failing to have true leadership skills that inspired his teammates. Being a little too much into self precludes that.

And finally, I think Whiz, being an astute judge of character, saw all the above and decided wisely to move on.

Matt could use some well-placed therapy. His career will not progress without it.

148. By darrel on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren I’ve. Beem checkim the waiver wire Lb derrick bugesss CB macho harris TE corneuils ingram any intrest here

149. By Leinhart is the man on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

I am totally blind sided by this! when did DA become such a hot shot? wait he isn;t! how many int’s did he throw this preseason? how many did matt? i would rather matt!! i have been a matt fan since the beginning! i think he will go to the seahawks and himand PC will be ridiculous once again! i am pissed with this move! i am a card fan through and through… so i hope whiz knows what he is doing! because matt could come back and bite him in the butt! i hate DA i bet by week three he is hurt or run out of the stadium!

150. By A-RUFF on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

alright. I’ve had it with these little sissie comments from clueless people like paul and greg talkin about matt didn’t have a fair chance and coach whiz mad a stupid decision and matts gonna play well for another team and beat ari. Point #1: ML has been given chances to start for a few years now.

Point#2: Im sure nobody on here is on the coaching staff to see all of the offseason workouts, practices etc. to see the progression of the qb’s.

Point#3: the last time AZ brought in a former starting QB (that struggled previously with his former team) just to push leineart for *his* starting job, we’ve had success.

Last Point: SOMEBODY please show me some film of Leineart making a big play downfield under pressure. I thought so.

So shutup with these sissie comments bc ML dose not fit in AZ. this is not a bad decision. I’d like 2 c u tell this to Whiz’s face!

151. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Dynosaur —

Not right now. Actually want to have some of my life back. That probably is available at NFL.com somewhere.

152. By MJRich on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Bye Bye little Matty Whineart. I would rather watch a bad team with a good attitude than a good team with a bad attitude any day. Great move. I don’t know about Anderson, honestly I am not confident. But it’s not like I have been watching him day in and day out like Whiz. I am sure there must be something Whiz sees in him that he did in Whineart.

At least now I can be proud of my team again. I was/am embarrassed by the entire ML era, from his draft to his release. Maybe if he spent more time working on his game and his attitude he wouldn’t be looking for work elsewhere.

153. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Darrel —

All Qbs all the time today. Haven’t checked anything else.

154. By Logan Cooper on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Are you surprised that the team kept jefferson? They must have seen something i didn’t. Especially when they could have kept Baggs over him to keep more outside linebackers. Have you heard anything on jefferson that the team was particular excited about?

155. By Peter in Canada on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Leinart had a 3 year head start on Anderson. Sure his statistics in the pre-season were better than DA. But they weren’t that much better and Anderson was improving and Leinart was not. Maybe the coach sees that he can work with DA and the improvement will continue. The strength of the Cards is WR and Leinart was not likely to get them the ball often enough. Interceptions hurt but it is a risk of getting the ball down field. I’m sorry for Leinart for his comfortable world fell apart but the fact is he just wasn’t good enough. This is the NFL where it is survival of the fittest and you have to take your opportunities by the scruff. Again ML didn’t.

156. By Eazy E on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson over Matt Leinart, it was well deserved. Matt just didn’t cut it. Whiz put his trust in him an ample number of times. He’s had him for 4 years and has done nothing but have confidence in him. Matt’s second year, kurt has an outstanding season throws 27 tds and matt that offseason after he broke his collarbone in the fifth game against the rams, still is named the starter all the way up until that horrible game against the raiders where he throws 3 picks and kurt had to be named the starter when he played exceptionally well the previous year and in the preseason. Kurt has the super bowl run that year and the deep playoff run last year.McNabb is available via trade along with campbell, we forgo getting either especially McNabb, who lives in arizona and on the same street as coach whiz and a-wil. He throws 3 PICKS against a vanilla defense, WOW! Derek shows better poise, leadership, deep ball, he’s the better qb. He’s the starter going into the post-kurt warner era and still loses the job again. GTFOH man,you are afraid of competition. T.J. would be a great addition, but the only concern is, when you talk alot of noise, back it up more consistently, if we get him. Would be a nice 2 to Fitz and can be in the slot also, so breaston would be on the outside still and T.J. would to they can switch. Then early and stephen whoo! On to the Defense, we need LBs(inside and outside), there should be some decent ones cut, and we need depth at CB, Jacques Reeves ain’t bad, he just got cut from the texans.

157. By Leinart Fan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Glad that it finally got done. Leinart is to good of a talent to be treated the way he has been by this coaching staff, not matter what the intentions were. Best for both sides. Glad it ended amicably. Leinarts talenst were just not a match for how Whiz’s offense operates. Just wish it would have been done 3 years ago.

158. By James Ferguson on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Leinhart will never be more than a backup in the N.F.L. He cant make quick reads, has a weak arm, and has no pocket precence. The Cards couldnt trade him because all the other teams in the league know this as well. When he was in college he had the best team money could buy ( kinda like having an all all-pro team) playing against weaker defences. When he got to the pros he couldnt adust to how much better and faster all the players on defence were compared to college. Plus if you complete 100% of your passes but get no first downs what good is it?
    Anderson reminds me of Qb of old that had the same problem of no soft touch and being accused of being too much of a gunslinger. All the fans were calling for him to be shipped out of Denver saying they could never be winners with him as their starter. But with a little patience and time he became a Super Bowl and league M.V.P. I dont know if Anderson will ever be as good as Elway, all Im saying is I think he was the right choice for the Cards this year.
    Now let the ripping on me begin. lol.

159. By Duece on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

The reason the Cards have been winning lately is every player has to earn his job. No one is just going to play because they’ve been here and should get the job! Leinart should have taken the job sooo many times. Don’t tell me he didn’t have a chance or it’s so emotional for him. Wineart is finally gone and we’ll be better off for it. GO CARDS!!

160. By TucsonTim on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

MN got a 5th for Rosenfels and we couldn’t even get a water boy.

161. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Another one of Denny Green’s guys gone.

I’m guessing Fitz will stay around a bit longer though ;).

162. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

“Actually want to have some of my life back.” – Darren Urban

You sound like Tony Hayward, the now ex-exec of BP. ;)

163. By Brad ONeill on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

i wish matt well i dont think he was treated fairly but i think wiz has done whats best for the team.

as for anderson. we aren’t cleveland people, he doesnt have to win by himself. we are going to take the nfc west and charge into the playoffs with our heads held high. We may be the worst team in the playoffs once again but that has never kept us from putting up a nasty fight in the past.

Go Cards!

164. By 98CardsFan on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

After everything that has gone on recently, I now have more respect for Dave McGinnis, Vince Tobin & Denny Green than what I feel towards Whiz right now. Was this what the Steelers were concerned about? Wonder what will happen this season. Goodbye then.

165. By cards supporter on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Let today be remembered as the founding day of Arizona’s Air Force.

166. By Darren Urban on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

Yes I am. But again, I don’t think the moves are done. I guess Baggs didn’t show enough. It’s not as simple as, “they kept Jefferson over Baggs.”

167. By Donnie on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

With all the cuts that happened today, I’m seeing lots of potential picks to fill out our lineup… lots of potential at CB, some LBs, FBs and TEs… I wonder what moves we’ll make

168. By A-RUFF on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Ok. I like to make points. Here’s one…

Im pretty sure if we (Arizona) lose a bunch of games this year, it WONT be bc of DA. It will most likely be from issues on D (which is unlikely 2 me. They should be better) a struggling running game (dependent on the o-line which should be better) and DA throwing the ball 30-40 times bc of it. NOW. Im pretty sure that Whiz didn’t put us in that position with the roster moves and cuts he’s made (including ML). Wouldn’t u agree? juss wanted 2 point that out

169. By davidcast on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt Lienart did everything with mirrors….It was all an illusion…..He made a lot of money doing noithing…
    They made him a star before he even played one game….
    At least he is a rich young guy…..he can relax and sit down and drink beer and grow old watching the NFL in front of his Sony…

170. By andrew on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

it’s about time leinart sucked and actually i’d rather see hall starting over anderson and earn his wings first year darren u agree because look at all the QB’s that were rookies and started their first year Joe Flacco,Matt Ryan,Mark Sanchez, And were did they all go at least once? THE PLAYOFFS!!! so i think that hall should start over anderson.Oh and btw leinart is another one of those 1st round busts he didnt have a chance of winning to begin with.

P.S Darren please reply to this

Andrew

171. By Bow on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

All you hating, fair weather fans are gonna be singing a different tune in a few weeks. It’s amazing how many experienced and knowledgable NFL calibre coaches are cards fans, lmao. If you can’t get behind Whiz after what he’s already done here, go back to being Cowgirl fans!

172. By Judy on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

In Wiz I do not trust.He should be the laughing stock of the country for the way he handeled the QBs this offseason.Having said that,i do not have to kiss Wiz’s backside to be a loyal Cardinals fan.I hope and pray that the front office don’t let him mess up Max Hall,and John Skelton’s carreer like he probably has Matt Leinart’s.Matt only lost 2 games in all of his college starts.Then he came here,where if Whisenhunt was such a good coach he would have coached him into being even better.But Wiz was too busy praising Warner to coach Matt or to see that the QB coaches were doing it.If Matt,Hall or Skelton turn out to be failures it will be on Wiz.Furthermore i hope Max will be starting by home opener.Good luck to Matt wherever you go,and Go-Max.

173. By apete on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

good decision by whisenhunt… they had to do what was best for the team… anderson will throw interceptions but i believe we will see fitz, doucet, breaston and rookie stehpen williams seeing more completions …. and all AZ Fans will routing for whiz then…. and sayign he made the right decision…

174. By Gilbert on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

People… please get over it. Do any of you REALLY think Wiz just wanted to play with Matt’s head? C’mon. Wiz, like all head coaches, wants to win. He needs to find the best 53 to put on the field. Matt wasn’t it. He didn’t show leadership, he didn’t show he has an NFL arm. He take too long to get the ball out and when he does, it takes too long to arrive. NFL DB’s can jump his routes and pick him off or destroy the WR that Matt just threw short to, behind or too high to. Wasn’t it Matt who got Fitz hurt? How would y’all feel if Fitz’s injury was more serious? Take a look at the Breaston TD pass Matt hit in Chicago… even that was thrown behind Steve. I think what Wiz tried to do was get some value for Leinart. When it finally became obvious that the Cards couldn’t even get a 7th round pick for him, he was cut. (They couldn’t get a 7th rounder out of any of the other 31 NFL teams!!! – that should tell you what the rest of the NFL thinks of him)

As for Matt, I wish him luck but don’t think he does much with his career other than backup and fill in for an injured starter. I don’t think he can play in NY, BUF, GB, BAL, CLE, PIT, CHI or any of you other cold weather, windy cities… his arm isn’t strong enough. He’ll need a dome and a team with a great running game and O line.

175. By shep on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

wisenhunt – you will get bit in the behind. If Leinert gets with the RIGHT and FAIR coach he will hopefully come back and stick it in your teams face. Also what is Deuce Lutui one of your boys now after the bashing took place all off season and preseason. I hope Anderson flops and you take on the Saints or Vikes defense with the great Max Hall as your QB. Maybe you can be his tight end cause you were such a great player yourself. You did a great job screwing up Leinert.Hope it makes you feel good.

176. By Safford on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Jus like Adam Schein says, nobody beats the Whiz. Ken Whisenhunt will be coach of the year.

177. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Andrew —

Hall is not ready to be a starter.

178. By Michelle on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I feel really bad for Matt, however he lacked alot of confidence and he didnt seem to click with the team. I think that is very important. So maybe when they say it was personal thats what they mean. You have to connect with your team. His stats may have been better then Anderson but if you notice Anderson could put points on the board lienart hardly put any all preseason. Thats very important. He couldnt read the whole field. I noticed he really struggled with that! He also didnt know how to handle being blitzed very well that defense (Titans) seen that and thats why they did it so many times to him. A great QB will know how to get out of situations like that most of the time. I think Lienart has potiential but obviously not with the Cards! Good Luck to him. I think with Anderson and Hall we will do great!! GO CARDS!!!

179. By Michelle on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Andrew Hall is not going to be our starter, Anderson is!

180. By CrazyLady25 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

QB Hall is not the answer long term. John Skelton is the FQB. But Skelton is raw. Hall makes a good back-up.

I am happy Matt is gone. All the drama. Gone.

181. By kaze70 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

antonio smith one hell of a good RB should of cut hightower , smith if any one notice is a north south runner hits the hole quick bad decision cardinals veiw the tape

182. By kayceygirl on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I am not sure why so many of you feel sorry for Matt Whine-art?? From the very beginning of his “career” with the Cardinals he didn’t apply himself to the JOB of playing football. It is not some college fun and games like his college nonsensical playing around. Beer Bong King? Absolutely!! Party boy entitled to a throne? For sure!! Man-aging a team and taking charge of situations? Absolutely not!! A run-away train wouldn’t follow Whine-art as a leader. He is NO leader. Darren, can you HONESTLY answer the question of whether you REALLY REALLY think the Matt will ever get his head out of his thigh pads and realize that this football thing involves work, dedication, personal responsibility, taking charge, TAKING PERSONAL BLAME FOR FAILURES, throwing down field, scrambling out of the pocket, lowering your shoulder pads and giving out hits, blocking, fist pumping, listening to one’s coach, showing respect to coaches, back ups, rivals, and yes, showing RESPECT to those who kick your butt out of the starting line-up and humbling yourself to learn from them?

I mean really, what better situation could a young wanna-be star have than be the back-up to an amazing QB like Warner? The only comparison could be Aaron Rodgers learning from Brett Farve and gee whiz, I think that might have turned out OK for Aaron. SMART SMART guy that Rodgers kid.

I give Whiz a LOT of credit for making what I consider a brilliant a gutsy move in cutting Whine-art and giving not One but Two Rookie QBs the opportunity to make something for themselves learning from DA (sure) but also learning from Fitz, Whiz, Dockett, Doucett, Spach,Wilson, Wells, Breaston, Hightower, Feely, Rodgers-Cromartie as players (yes I know some of these are D-Guys but there is a lot these Rooks can learn a lot from them if they pay attention). The coaching staff might actually be able to teach these kids as well….something that I think they couldn’t do with Whine-art.

I know this is long, but someone is going to get stuck with Whine-art, much like the Cowboys got stuck with Ryan Leaf, thinking it was the team that was the problem instead of the player. I believe this is the silk purse-sows ear situation. Derek Anderson may not be Kurt Warner. Max Hall might not be Tom Brady. John Skelton might not be Doug Flutie. Then Again, they might turn out to be one of those (not necessarily in that order). But for sure, none of them are Matt “The Leaf” Whine-art. And you can’t complain about that at all.

183. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Kaycey —

I don’t know if it will work out for Matt elsewhere. But I do think he was going to have to go elsewhere to see.

184. By Ron on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Matt, your a good QB. and we wish you luck wherever you go. But the Cards need a better QB with the receivers the cards have, we need the best. Good decision Arizona.

185. By john on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

After waiting impatiently in anticipation of a great new season day after day keeping up with sites like this and blogs and the season FINALLY getting here, what an absolute let down. Why can’t the staff during ALLL that time in the off-season plan better ahead for the most important position on the team? Why is the thinking consistently that lets get a washed up veteran who was released for being terrible elsewhere and maybe we can improve him and he will work out here?? Just ridiculous and this is why I will never pay to go see a game. I feel especially bad for all the other players like Dockett who have a fire and intensity in preparation for a great year only to be stonewalled by such poor planning and decisions like this.

186. By TMS on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Hi,Card fans! I am a Zoner and I want the CARDS to win!

However, I am so relieved that Matt is gone and that I no longer have to retain my Cardinal season tickets. It was difficult traveling to the SD Chargers and to the USC Trojans on weekends, teams who actually know how to win football games, that it was very stressful to attend Cardinals games. Last season, I was not sure whether Warner was going to answer the bell or not. But you gotta love a guy who’s mind is ready, but who’s body has been through hell.

Trust me, now that Matt is gone look for the Cardinals other Heisman Trophy winner Beemnie Wells to get the ax next. He is also now a “backup player,”yet Wells has far better stats than Tim Hightower, the Cardinal starter.

Stats to Wisz actually mean nothing. He is all about the “lunch pail, work ethic, mid-west guys.” You want a mediocre team? You got it! Hey, did Wisz also have anything to to do with not dumping Bolton? Perhaps, Wisz thinks that you win on defense without any need for an offense.

Oh yeah, I have been a Charger season ticket holder since 1960 and Wisz’s theory has been totally disproved when the AFC Jets beat the NFC back in the 1960’s. Anyone remember when “Broadway Joe” Namath won the Super Bowl Championship back then? Of course not, so why could “Hollywood Matt Leinart” possibly take the Cardinals to a Super Bowl.? Well, look at the stats.

I challenge the Cardinals Front Office to publish this submission on their blog page. Otherwise, it will be published on every other football blog in the USA. You think you know football? Go back 20 years and learn that nothing is new. You either learn from history or you learn that history repeats itself.

TMS

2. Sep 4, 2010: Matt Leinart 10 Reasons He’s Still a NFL Starter After Cardinals Cut | what is happening now.