Nothing official, but Cards making moves

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2010 – 7:58 pm

The Cardinals haven’t been releasing any info officially today, but as the NFL churns after final cuts, the Cards have apparently done a couple of things, like cut CB Marshay Green, LB Pago Togafau and FB Reagan Maui’a and claim three players who were released: former Giants FB/LB Jerome Johnson, former Browns CB Brandon McDonald, and former Packers LB Cyril Obiozor.

Excellent work, Sando.

It looks like Johnson was a college linebacker who the Rams (last year) and the Giants converted to fullback. It will be interesting to see if that’s where the Cards want to go with veteran free agent fullback Tony Richardson (cut by Jets) out there and also fullback Owen Schmitt (cut by Seahawks). I could see them thinking about putting a claim in on Schmitt. McDonald had eight interceptions the past three seasons — which included 27 starts — and is the veteran cornerback the Cards were long expected to grab about this time. Obiozor was an undrafted guy last year who went from college defensive end to 3-4 linebacker on the Green Bay practice squad. He is a work in progress.

I am surprised about Green, if for no other reason, I thought he was ahead of fellow undrafted CB A.J. Jefferson, who remains on the team. Of course, Green is sub-5-foot-10 and Jefferson is 6-foot, and you always wonder if that impacts. I could see Green coming back to the practice squad.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

100 Responses to “Nothing official, but Cards making moves”

1. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Thoughts…..

How is A.J. Jefferson still around!!!

Good pick up in McDonald, although Jackson would have fit better.

Great call! Get Richardson or Schmitt!

How can Obiozor be any better than Cody Brown?

By letting go of Togafau, now they have 3 ILB instead of 3 OLB. Why would they do that?

I get that the Cards like Broughton, but the back up plans and depth were not good, and if you want to run the ball more, why wouldn’t you have better backups? Now they are stuck with a guy who has played it for a year?

2. By Lonnie Nutt on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I think cutting Matt will be a collossal mistake. Anderson has a habbit of throwing to the wrong jerseys ALOT. Maybe he is color blind. But he couldnt cut it in Cleveland so why we would want him with the receivers we have is murky at best to me.

3. By cardsfan28 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren do you think Ben Claxton will stay on the roster? Seems like we could do better…

4. By Brandon on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Tony Rich was a beast in his prime and even though he is older I bet he can still play, would be nice to let him move LBers for Beanie

5. By cardsfan28 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

One more thing…why Cyril instead of Baggs? I sure liked that guy…

6. By Kyle on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Richardson is a very good fullback with a lot of experience and leadership. I watched Schmitt when he was with West Virginia, he is a monster, I would be very excited to see either one of them on the team.

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Tinted –

You need to understand how little Brown showed (and by the way, Brown couldn’t even get on an active roster; he reportedly will be on the Jets’ practice squad).

Not sure about the LB breakdown yet.

If you have a FB you like, why have more and more. Had Broughton made it through the Chicago game, he probably wouldn’t have played much in the last game. It was just a fluke injury.

8. By CZarr on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I spent some time maundering other teams sites and blogs. The major motivation was fantasy football; I checked depth charts, and team blogs relating to training camps etc. Along the way I really came to appreciate the fact that you do not suck as a writer. Not only that, but you actually respond to our comments. There are so many teams that do not do this. For example, the Seahawks don’t even have comments enabled on blogs… I just wanted to say how appreciative I am of this. I hope it stays this way.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan –

They must like him. He has made the team two years in a row.

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan –

They apparently didn’t see enough out of Baggs.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

Much appreciated. As long as everyone is willing to take as well as they give, I like the back and forth I have with everyone on here. Even those I go toe to toe with once in a while.

12. By CZarr on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

As an FYI, the Eagles blog writer should be relegated to backup, and they should put me in as the starter.

13. By Bryce on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Because Jefferson is a ridiculous athlete. He is the kind of player coaches salivate at. He was possibly the best athlete at the entire draft combine. Look up his numbers, they are ridiculous. He also has shown a willingness to be physical. I would imagine the coaches don’t even want to toy with losing such a talent.

14. By Jones from IL on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of loyalty – wasn’t Onrea Jones (17) on the practice squad last year? He made some nice catches against the RedSkins. Seems like there should be a place for him on the team…

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Jones –

OJ has been around since 2008. It may be he just never made the leap.

16. By John l on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the info. But let’s face it, the cards need LBs, inside and out. I mentioned a couple of vets in Reid and Woods on the previous blog, but let me ask you this, would the cards consider Okefer. He knows the OLB spot for cards and would give up a back up if anyone got injured.

Truthfully, I’m not even buying my own idea, but I am concerned that Porter goes down and we have no one to rush the QB.

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

John L –

I agree they are thin there, although they have two backups after signing the ex-Packer today. Okeafor isn’t an option. He never quite gave them what they needed there, which is why they moved on.

18. By Richard S on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I read that Cleveland did not announce their cuts, they just turned in the paperwork at the required time so that teams would have less time to look at all the players cut and take them away from practice squad possibilities.

19. By Bubba on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

What is your favorite fairly-priced restaurant in the valley?

20. By nolan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

darren exactly how stable is a “claim” on a player?
    thanks D

21. By Section 105 on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Sentimentally I would like to see the Cards bring back Nick Leckey who was just cut by the Saints. Don’t suppose you think that would happen, do you?

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Section 105 –

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Bubba –

My two kids are partial to Olive Garden … ;)

Seriously, I am an Oregano’s fan.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Nolan –

Usually, we don’t hear about claims unless a team has been awarded the player via a claim. Once that happens, that team has them. If multiple teams put in a claim on a player, the team with the worst record from the previous season gets him.

25. By SeeingRed on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Good to see AJ Jefferson sticking around, I like his potential. He’s got size (looks a lot like DRC), he’s physical, very athletic and he has potential as a kick returner too. Hope he continues to stick. Would be nice also to get a vet like Tony Richardson for his skill and leadership.

26. By dan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Hope Marshay Green makes it back to Az and on the practice squad.

27. By AnquanStandsUp on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Green, being released surprised me also. I thought he was getting most of the PR reps and with Justin Miller also being gone they’ll have to go with Komar or Breaston. And the Cards don’t need your fave being hurt on a ST play.
    IMO, Richardson’s well past his career downturn and although Whiz will probably go to the power game, it will be Hightower/Wells most of the time.
    McDonald IS the vet CB they were looking for and the rest are backend roster moves.
    Agree with CZarr, that I too, realize you don’t suck as a writer.
    Now about your restaurant choices…

28. By Rick R. on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Interesting about the multiple claims on a player going to the team with the worst record. Is there a way to know what teams went after what players? Curious about the process as well, Is there a time frame after players are cut that a team has to put a claim in on a player they want, and then is there a “waiting period” that other teams have to try and claim the same player?

29. By Bryce on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Do you still believe it’s feasible the Cards claim Schmitt? I know your article alludes to it, but we obviously wouldn’t keep 2 FBs. This is assuming they would use Johnson at FB and not LB.

30. By nolan on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Alright so darren how long until these players are ours?
    btw i really appreciated how you run this site so a couple questions on how to show some respect in return.
    -should we call you darren or D?
    and should we address a specific topic to ask for a blog about or just wait till you do it.
    thanks for the dedication and hard work

31. By CZarr on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Is it wrong to tell a girl I dated that recently found me on Facebook that she has gotten fat?

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Rick R –

There is a 24 hour period, I believe. Sometimes, if multiple teams do put in claims, it gets leaked.

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Bryce –

They won’t keep two FBs. If it turns out they really like Schmitt, yes, I could see they doing that. But not if they like Johnson.

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Nolan –

They are likely already Cards, otherwise the news wouldn’t be out there.

If you have a blog idea, feel free. I can’t promise I will do it, but I am always open to suggestions.

35. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

Yeah, this isn’t that kind of Q-and-A that I do.

36. By akcard on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Have the Cards considered switching back to the 4-3 as their base defense? Our talent is better suited for the 4-3 as opposed to the 3-4. We have 6 to 7 solid defensive lineman, whereas DW may be our best backer and he is a rookie. DW is the only backer that could start on most other NFL teams, all of our other backers are backups.

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

akcard –

Not going to happen. They are too far into moving the philosophy. You marginalize Porter and Haggans in that situation, and probably Dockett too. And you won’t have a defensive end on the right side.

38. By akcard on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

CC reminds me a little of Too Tall Jones, plays the run strong. CC and Branch could both play the left side. Web might have had the best preseason of all the players, he made a couple of sacks that I have never in him before. Web and CC could both play the right side. Dock, Rob, and Williams have the middle. This could be our strongest unit.

39. By CZarr on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

akcard,

? Are you a Seahawks fan messing around on the Cardinals board?

You know you at least had a little laugh.

40. By Frustrated on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Watching Haggans today in recorded games. I came to realize that he is a real football player. How many more years do you think he will play barring bad injuries?

41. By AnquanStandsUp on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

That Owen Schmidt profile on Yahoo makes the guy look like a post office crime suspect and the YouTube video of him banging his head with his helmet is downright frightening.
    Sounds like him and Dockett will be BFFs.
    With, as far as I can tell, no Card releases being picked up by other teams, correlate to front office success or failure? Are AZ’s picks proving that the players drafted or signed via FA were “mistakes” or marginal NFL guys?
    And if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

42. By Joe on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

alot of teams are grabbing the taller CB anymore for the run stopping and goal line packages someone who will fight for the ball on that fade like the on ethat lost us the sb

43. By Joe on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

whats the reasoning behing cutting tago i thought he looked pretty good in the preseason of course i dont know about practice but we are thin at that position and he seemed to be about as good as your gonna get at this point

44. By bill butler on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Why have the cardinals not gone after willie parker for a solid third running back.

45. By Eazy E on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

I hate that marshay got cut because he was good on special teams and didn’t look bad as a cb. Jefferson i thought didn’t play that much, but he is a big cb, so we’ll see, hopefully marshay gets on the p.s. Don’t know much about the new guys except for brandon mcdonald. I like that addition to be our nickel and he has alot of starting experience too, i remember in 2008 after cleveland went 10-6 in 2007(With DA at QB, really 10-5, because brady quinn started against pittsburgh and put up 7 measly points), Monday Night Football, cleveland was getting beat pretty badly and philly was goin in for another td, he made this outstanding one-handed interception and returned it 98 yards for a td. It was a thing of beauty. Also would love t-rich as our starting fb. He brings great leadership, locker room presence, and blocked for the jets great running game last year and wouldn’t mind owen schmitt either but he gone have to stop hitting the helmet against his head, so either would be great especially t-rich.

46. By Eazy E on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

akcard-

WHAT???? We are a 3-4 team period!

47. By mike b on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren- I see you are also asking Baggs himself if he was going to be on out PS from his twitter it seems that he is back in Canada but he isnt saying he is he is just singing it or at least the first part. If he is indeed on ps what are his chances of getting activated. I say barring injury or by the plays that the new guy makes (Cyril Obiozor) I say its slim but possible. What do you think?

48. By Joey S on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

I know everyone out there is calling for a Richardson or Schmidtt add. We’ll let’s hold on here. Though Tony Richardson has had a great career he is close to retirement age. The Jets realized that it was time to move on. Schmidtt is a crazy man when it comes to blocking but I found some footage of Jerome Johnson on You Tube and he can block well and has some great hands out of the back field. Take a look for yourselves. I am looking forward to seeing him as a part of our running game! Welcome Jerome! Go CARDS!!!

49. By Trisha on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Cutting Matt will prove to be another HUGE mistake by the Cardinals organization. I’m actually starting to see what Boldin was complaining about, how the unprofessional the organization is and how they do not take care of key players, they pushed Matt out of the door without giving him to true chance of being a starter. Truth is he his practices, film studies etc were so horrible he would have been traded or released a long time ago. I think Whiz did not want Matt and pushed him out of the door and doing so very unprofessionally. Whiz has lost a lot of respect by releasing him the way he did. I do not see Anderson being a starter for long so now we have to rely on a rookie to lead us to our 3rd division championship, I do not understand the thinking process here. The 49ers and Seahawks are moving forward and it seems like Whiz is pushing us back. Where is the logic of not re-signing Rolle? Dansby? Releasing Brown? Leinart? I am a worried fan.

50. By Superdawg on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    Are they interested in Hartwig and/or Schmitt? Have you gotten any inkling from someone in the FO that their still shuffling the roster? When do you think we’ll find out about our practice squad?
    Thanks !

51. By sean L on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

WOW LOVE THE PICK UP !!!!!!
    CB Brandon McDonald is still in the early years , so if he pans out {which i think he will } he could be a nice fill for years to come … I also hope alan fanaca lobbys for Tony Richardson . He would add vet leadership and exp to our line and backs … looks at his resume … how many rb have had record years fallowing his blocks !!!
    now this is way off topic and a year away but what r ur thoughts on this ? seems like if we play next year it could be another big off season….

key players contracts up at years end !!!!
    OFFENse

HB Tim Hightower prob gone
    WR Steve Breaston needs new contract
    WR Early Doucet prob gone if stephan williams steps into his own
    TE Ben Patrick not sure
    LG Alan Faneca Prob gone
    C Lyle Sendlein Coach Loves Him … but how much $$$$$$ will he want
    C Ben Claxton prob gone
    RG Deuce Lutui Coach have long term plans for him but again $$$$ might get in way
    RT Brandon Keith New starter at RT … depending on how he fairs .. $$$ again

DEFENSE

LE Kenny Iwebema looks like hes ready for breakout year but will it be with us ?
    RE/DT Alan Branch gone
    DT bryan Robinson retires
    DT Gab Watson Gone unless he steps up this year
    CB Michael Adams coaches like him but will green replace him with a year under him
    SS Matt Ware signs

P Ben Graham signs highest punters contract in NFL and earned it!!!!

i know its a year away and u shouldnt look that far ahead … but theres alot of BIG contracts coming up!!!! Whats your thoughts Darren ???

52. By sean L on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

whats this meen ? Your comment is awaiting moderation.

53. By sean L on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

mean***

54. By Peter in Canada on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren- You should listen to your kids. Whenever I’m in the USA I always look for an Olive Garden. For price and quality they make anything we have in Canada look sick. I personally Favour their eggplant parmigiana.

55. By Stevie on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Don’t know if I understood correctly the etiquette of the claims waiver. Does the team that put someone on waivers have any priority to reclaim him, or does he have to wait until everyone else has a chance in that 24 hour period? Do you think the Cards will ever tell if they tried to reclaim one of our guys? Do you know any other former Cards who were claimed by other teams? Thanks.

56. By mike hadzinski on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

darren its been awhile butt since matt is gone i wanna ask a real question i play with Darrayl blackstock on the ps3 he told me matt had got paid 40gs for going to the parties aka hot tube.

57. By TucsonTim on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

So ML is going to Texas. Understandable for Texas since their BU is Orlovsky. That was pretty quick. NFL reporter says that Cards didn’t have to pay him the 2.4 million he was due this year??

When you consider that the Browns got a BU RB, 6th in 2011 and a conditional in 2012 for Quinn, I’m still perplexed that we couldn’t get anything for ML. Was ML unwillingness to restructure his contract the stumbling block here.?

58. By Ross on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

when are the captains chosen? And do you have any knowledge on who they will be?

59. By TucsonTim on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Did you see that Seattle lost their O-line coach, Alex Gibbs. Got to love that less than a week before the start of the regular season. Too bad we have to wait 7 weeks to play them,. If Hasselback is still healthy enough to play he should see a lot of 90 and 93….and 58 and 55, ha ha ha. Wonder if Peter King still thinks they are going to finish ahead of the Cards!

60. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Frustrated –

We all get older. But Clark will never be short in the prep department; he may be the best conditioned player on the team.

61. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

AnquanStands –

They may not look at Schmitt. We’ll see. As for the others being taken, I guess you can make that point.

62. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Joe –

I guess they disagree.

63. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

I always thought it was a long shot they’d ask Stevie to come back. Older guys usually aren’t good PS choices.

64. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Trisha –

They tried to re-sign Rolle and Dansby. Those guys chose to go elsewhere. Brown was just a poor player, and in the end, they didn’t have that much faith in Leinart either.

65. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Super –

We should know the PS today I’d think. As for Schmitt or Hartwig, I doubt the latter because they already have so many OL. Schmitt may not be a choice because they claimed the other FB.

66. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Sean L –

It means it doesn’t appear on the site until I give it the OK. I moderate every single one of these things, which is why there is a delay in posting.

67. By J Rocka on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what do you mean about Chike Okeafor not giving the cards what they wanted from the position? he was their best pass rusher when healthy, much better than Clark Haggans. He also was a good team player taking on blocks and performing stunts to set up other guys big plays consistently. Also he was a good edge container and a veteran player with knowledge of more than 1 position. Joey porter and Clark Haggans? Sounds like some washed up steelers to me! Show a little appreciation for great players like Chike, he gave his all here and came to the Cards when they absolutely stunk!!!! He also had six solo tackles in the superbowl and a forced holding call resulting in a safety!!! When will the Cards learn that you dont get better by letting good players go, and holding on to players like Dockett who have been taking 50% of the def. snaps off his entire career!!! Oh yeah thank goodness you paid that guy!!!

68. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Stevie —

No, the team that cut him can’t get him back unless every other team passes. If another team claims, that team has to put the guy on the active roster. If he clears without being claimed, the Cards can bring him back, either to the practice squad or to the roster, although if they cut him in the first place it doesn’t make sense that they’d want him for the roster.

69. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

I have no idea on Matt’s life off the field.

70. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

Once Matt was cut, his contract was done. Any new team would sign him to a new (and understandably cheaper) deal.

71. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

Usually by the end of this week.

72. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Bill –

They don’t need a running back.

73. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

J Rocka –

I am not saying Okeafor didn’t give them something. But the people I have talked to disagree with your overall assessment. Chike had a solid career, but the Cards aren’t the only one who have passed on signing him this offseason.

74. By Jeff Gollin on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren – Is there an outside possibillity that – after the dust has settled – the Cards will add a veteran QB to the 3 currently on the roster (Possibilities – Chirs Sims or Troy Smith)?

As much as I like Hall, it’s kind of scary going into the regular season with 2 rooks (who never saw a regular season snap) being one big hit away from stepping in for Anderson.

75. By LUKE on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

commenting on czars comment…another thanks to darren.Keep up the good work.Its great to have an”inside look” at our team!

76. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Jeff –

Whiz seemed to close that door the other day. And having watched Simms in Tennessee twice (game and practice), I don’t see how Hall would be lower than him on the depth chart.

And again, the Cards don’t want to lose Hall or Skelton. And you are probably losing whomever gets cut in that scenario.

77. By akcard on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

CZarr: I have been a Card fan since they had a OL of: finnie, dobler, banks, young, and dierdorf. Just because a person has a difference of opinion with the decisions made by the organization does not mean they care any less. In fact, I would argue that if you do not speak up, it means you do not care. Sometimes the truth hurts, but I have always believed a little hurt now is better than a lot of hurt later. Isn’t that a commerical? A little plagiarism.

78. By .$kharma$. on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Anderson is not afraid of going deep. He’s a great fit for Fitz.

79. By Brad ONeill on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

hey mattie found a home! matts going to texas!

80. By mikeso on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

darren————— do you think daryl washington will be starting this year. he looked very very good in the preseason games?

81. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Mikeso –

I do think Washington will be starting.

82. By mikeso on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

ok thanks alot!

83. By Deveau on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Any update on the practice squad? Have we started filling up the ranks?

Also looking forward to a linebacker insider piece.

Hope your holiday was memorable,

Cris

84. By Julius Lino on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, i would just like to say thanks for spending a few minutes of your time talking to me and my daughter Juleen on Saturday, before the Redskins game. It was awesome, even the young lady working on the S.A.F.E staff was really thrilled to see how down to earth you were. I was once interviewed by Paul Calvisi once and he too was was a great guy. Hope to meet Ron Wolfely one day, but i’m pretty sure he is cool too. Darren, thanks again. GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

85. By John on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Have the Cards added RB Ian Johnson to the PS who was waived by the Vikings. I’ve seen that reported elsewhere but don’t know if its a fact or rumor.

86. By TucsonTim on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Not to chnge the subject once again, but with all due respect to Anderson, Wells, Fitz et al, our most potent offensive weapon this year will most likely be Ben Graham. The guy is a freak in his ability to pin point a kick inside the 20, and given our up-graded defense this year, that should reap huge rewards for the Cards (no more 99 yd game winning drives, bye bye McMuffin). How about a story on how he got from the land down under to the desert???

87. By kaleb on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I havn’t seen anything impressive from Jefferson from the CB position but i do recall he looked pretty good as a Kick Returner against the redskins. Perhaps the cards want to explore his capabilities in special teams. Green was fast but was getting pushed around alot because of his size, and made some poor decisions on punt returns.

88. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Julius –

It was good to meet you both.

89. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

John –

Nothing official.

But I wouldn’t bet against it.

90. By AZTopFireDemon on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

First of all I commend the coaching staff and administration of the Cardinals for FINALLY smelling the coffee and allowing Matt to allow the door to hit him on his way out. There went a LOT of money that could have been placed in BETTER hands or used on BETTER projects!!
    Of the remaining QB’s in the preseason presentation; Hall, Skelton and THEN Anderson have impressed me.Hall in his quick judgement and ability to move around the pocket and his ability to go for the extra yardage kind of reminds me of a young Montana. Skelton can be as good but needs some more work. The reason Anderson (to me) appears less than the other two is that HE is the “seasoned” veteran of the NFL and although Anderson seemed to drive the team towards the RED ZONE, he didn’t have as MUCH success- considering his experience. Still, those WERE only PRESEASON games and this writter would be enormously glad to eat his own words about Anderson if his actions during the REAL season becomes more fruitfull. Fortunately or UNFORTUNATELY only time will tell.

91. By jcm on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I haven’t heard many mentions of Dan Williams during the pre-season. How’s he looked, and can you see him starting any time soon?

92. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

jcm –

Don’t see him starting. I don’t know if he needs to, if B-Rob and Watson continue to do fine. But Williams will be in the rotation.

93. By kaleb on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

pretty good monday presser. but im a little diaapointed nobody asked about the new aquisitions made after the final cuts. more importantly are any of them in the mix for a starting job? is toler the guy fir the job or not beause with an all pro bowl secondary everywhere but his position you have to think he is going to be thrown at frequently, is mcdonald a contender for that job?

94. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Kaleb –

The new guys hadn’t been officially announced yet, so Whiz isn’t going to talk about them yet. They weren’t even at practice. I am guessing they are depth guys barring something unforeseen.

95. By Michael from STL on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

-Lonnie Nutt

Anderson has the guts to throw the ball deep instead of just dumping it off for 5 yards.. and he has a stronger arm than leinart

96. By Ernie on Sep 7, 2010 | Reply

Brett Favre also throws to the wrong jerseys to………….D.A will be fine,this isn’t the browns and he’s not throwing to brayland edwards or some average joe. we got FITZ,S.B,DOUCET,and the ROOKIES at wideout…. GO CARDINALS

97. By Joseph P. on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Well, here it is–December and all of the posts that I have read above appear to be understatements of today’s reality. Anderson has been the starter QB, then replaced, then reinstated, then removed. How many months did Kurt Warner give management before his retirement? Why does the Bidwell organization make crucial decisions like people suffering from water in the brain? Michael Vick was able to come down her as well as McNabb–who lives here!!! They instead chose Anderson who’s track record proved that he loves to throw the ball to the wrong jersey consistently. Can I blame Anderson? No, I blame management–you can’t blame the sow’s ear for being a sow’s ear, you CAN blame the idiots who tried to turn the sow’s ear into a silk purse though. Also, what is REALLY the problems with our Cards? Except for the Warner era, we get the same speech from the coaching position or player position for any loss. It’s like the old regime hands a quote per quote script to the new on coming one to cover the reason for ANY loss. They always state the obvious
    but do NOTHING about it–”You can’t run the ball like we did and expect to win.”, “”You can’t allow the other guy to score that much against you and expect to win.” “You can’t make the mistakes that we made and win games.”
    There are OTHER quotes of intellect from the past but to post them would take untill tomorrow. Yet, these are the SAME excuses used year after year–a few even bleed into the Warner era. You also get the same look of complete defeat on the faces of those mouthing these scripted words. So, is it some nasty secret that only the team members and coaching staff are privy to? Is the REAL reaso—shhhhh–the “B” word? Bidwells? They need to open up their purse strings, replace their scouting team with a better quality staff and finally pay for good players and coaches, THEN they will realise a profitable “BOTTOM LINE”!!!!

2. Sep 5, 2010: Nothing official, but Cards making moves | Nfl News And More