• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Captains named as Rams loom

Posted by Darren Urban on September 8, 2010 – 1:53 pm

The Cardinals have their team captains for the 2010 season, based on votes of the players. Offense is WR Larry Fitzgerald and C Lyle Sendlein, defense is DT Darnell Dockett and S Adrian Wilson, and special teams are P Ben Graham and the ever-present RB Jason Wright. Sendlein is an interesting choice but it says a lot of how far the guy has come since being undrafted in 2007.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt also said RB Beanie Wells didn’t practice today with a knee bruise, but neither he or Beanie sounded overly concerned. I still think Beanie plays (and the same goes for Wright, who has had a bad toe). LB Joey Porter was limited with a sore back, but he too sounded like a guy who will be there when game times arrives.

Fitzgerald (knee) and TE Ben Patrick (knee) both practiced fully. The full injury report is here.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Captains named as Rams loom”

1. By sean on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Looking around the internet and i see rankings and other things….Mike Florio ranked the Cards 24 and said it was only a matter of time before Fitz finagles a trade. Saw another ranking of the owners on yahoo ranking the Cards ownership as 27th in the league…4 years ago I would have probably agreed with that, but after the last 3 years how can they be 27th? What is up with all the hate for this team and organization?

2. By Frustrated on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Amazed Lyle was picked. Congrats to Lyle!!

3. By Mack on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

Didnt LaRod have concussion symptoms or am i thinking of someone else?

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

LaRod sat out since the Chicago game and he is OK now.

5. By tw3kr on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

A bit surprised we haven’t heard more about Michael Adams’ status. He looked to have a pretty good preseason and with so much left to be determined in our secondary, I think a number of us are waiting to see how soon he can return (that’s a sentiment I have noticed over at RotB). Do you think his injury had an impact on how many CBs we kept? Will he be the nickel or is McBride ahead of him? Where does McDonald fit? So many questions that probably don’t have answers yet.

6. By Cardfan4life on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

With all the intagables I am surprised DA is not a captain.

7. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Any guesses on the injury report due tomorrow?
    Usually there are surprises.

8. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Wells and Will Davis didn’t participate fully today. If Porter is hurt, where does that leave the LB position? Outside of screwed, that is.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

HyphenStands –

Again, I think these are precautionary situations rather than serious concerns.

10. By keko jones on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

A.J Jefferson will be at the top of the depth chart for CB behind DRC and GT very soon..

11. By Tyrelle on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Oh godness. I hope at least half of those guys can go Sunday. Are they going to be able to go?

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

I expect all of them to be ready.

13. By Jahstone on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

If the Rams are considered looming, what happen when we play the Saints? We must crush the Rams and show the NFL what up!!

14. By BIG RED HONKEY on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Sean – I don’t think Fitz would ever request a trade, he’s just not wired that way… If anything he could wait until free agency and leave that way, but not a trade. He is the face of this franchise, and its not like he’s a year away from retirement and just realized that he wants to be traded so that he has a chance to win a ring..

I wish I could be a jackass like Mike Florio and get paid his kind of money… ends up I’m just a jackass with no money…. Some peoples luck huh!!!

15. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Somers predicts 24-21 Cards.
    You?

16. By Beauchamp on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

-Sean wow you really think that Fitz would ever be traded? Don’t make any important decisions any time soon.
    -Keko, don’t be so quick while Aj Jefferson was a stud in college he’s got a huge learning curve, but I too like him being kept because his versatility the guy can play some safety and fits our scheme very well. Perhaps he can turn into what we wanted McFadden to be for cheap.

I can’t wait to see us claw our way up the rankings yet again all it will take it a solid trumping of ATL and go 2-0. If people honestly think we’re not a better team than when we beat ATL in the playoffs 2 yrs ago they are foolish. Gotta love coach whiz how he plugged young guys and solid replacements to fill the guys we lost. Look at our record w/o boldin too its better than w/ and DA is no warner, but come on who is? With fitz and breaston stretching the field and DA being able to throw it high and long we’ll be able to open up the run game and have a great year. I’m saying same record as last yr is more than likely. I think all the ESPN insiders forget how it works still depth at the line positions typically means who wins in the long haul its the way the game goes.

17. By card62 on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Cards fans enlighten me. What am I missing with Lyle S.
    I have nothing against him, but I just do not see in games that he is doing a good job, but the coaches love him and he must have the respect of his teammates to be voted captain so what am I missing.

I was actually hoping we would move Reggie Wells to center, but of course we traded Reggie to the Eagles.

Thanks

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

HyphenStands –

I don’t do specific predictions. No real upside there for me.

19. By Deveau on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Any insight into Cyril Obiozor? I know he came out of college a DE, at around 270 pounds. He was productive at Texas A & M. Has dropping weight helped his speed? Green Bay kept a rookie over him on their active roster.

And for the record, I felt our receiver corps, going into the draft, was solid.

Kind regards,

Cris

20. By Don't Take Losses on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Any takes on the new players (on 53 or PS)?

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Take –

I don’t expect them to do much of anything but be learning the first week or two.

22. By Scott H on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Good for Lyle. He may not be a Pro Bowl center but if his teammates thought enough of him to give him the “C” then he obviously earned it. Seems to be one of those guys who – because he’s not loaded with a ton of natural ability – you know must be working very hard to be what he is. I think people respect that anywhere. I have to wonder if Timmy got many votes…

23. By cody on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what is your prediction record wise for the cardinals this year? with the incredibly weak schedule we have this year, id say 11-5 is a realistic goal.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Cody –

For my answer, see my response to HyphenStands above.

25. By cody on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

my apologies darren, i dont really pay attention to the other comments.

26. By sean on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Oh dear…people…I am just relaying to you what i read…why don’t you read clearly first…sheesh…i dont think fitz will ask for a trade…i dont think he is going anywhere…thats what THAT guy wrote…not me…honestly

27. By Trisha on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

My prediction is 10-6 if our defense is in the top 10 and all our players are healthy. We have to have a running game this year to win the division because we are relying on a QB who throws WAY to many interceptions and will probably be starting the rookie by week 3.

28. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Is the starting line up posted somewhere? Kind of have an idea but would like to see the actual game day starters.

Mahalo!

29. By MikeG on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Nice Blogs!!–Really happy to see Lyle named captain. I think he is really an under-appreciated guy. He is smart and does a nice job in both pass protection and in the run game. Hey Darren–If you were to name one player on both offense and defense as being the most under-rated–what do you think??
    Offense—Sendlein?? Defense–Haggans???

30. By redseafan85 on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

darren-do you feel that the cards dont get the respect they deserve for being back to back division champs? Even for this division? Also who is the number 5 receiver behind williams

31. By Brad ONeill on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

this weekends game goes 38-13 in favor of the cards.

the rams are able to string together a couple of drives ending in field goals in the first half but dont get a touchdown until garbage time at the end.

derek anderson chucks the long ball several times and connects with fitz, doucett and WIlliams for scores over 20 yards. Tim hightower gets just over 110 all purpose yards and a score. beanie is limited to 49 yards rushing on 14 carries but he has a spectacular 14 yard scamper for a score early. coach takes him out at the half as a precaution.

unfortunately we have to settle for one field goal in the 4th quarter when roberts drops his first 3rd down pass in the pros.

whiz spends the entire press conference telling reporters not to overreact to dereks performance. and he has no comments on making the change from matt.

Lets get ready for atlanta.

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Kauai –

The depth chart is updated.

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

Good as any.

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Redsea –

Probably Komar.

35. By TucsonTim on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Has Porter had back issues before?

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

Not sure. But I don’t expect it to hamper him this weekend.

37. By TBru on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Captain, my captain

Congrats, especially to Ben & Lyle

38. By PWalker on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

WOW Brad you have it all figured out, if it goes the way you see it Max should play the 4th quarter. What do you think he will do?

I like the way coach keeps bringing in some of the local boys, Lyle, Deuce and Max. I think it is good for building local support and a solid fan base. The Cards have been in the league forever and should have more of a history than they have. I think having the locals will help to do that in the future. Well they have a history but, it is of losing. That is why they get no respect at the national level; it will take several winning seasons to change those opinions.

I also think if guys like Adrian, Darnell and Larry play their entire careers here that will help to build the reputation of a quality club. If that happens give Adrian the credit for starting the trend. It was just a few years ago our top draft picks couldn’t wait to get out of here.

39. By Brad ONeill on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

max will move the ball through short passes and a run game that has pummeled the rams into submission. but unfortunately for him he is asked to kneel down for the victory formation instead of being allowed to go for the score because coach wants him hungry at the end of the game.

40. By Brad ONeill on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

run timmy run! I agree he is way underrated. I remember him running for a lot of touchdowns in goal line situations and i also remember him breaking off a huge run against new orleans. not to mention he has been good for a hundred twice before against the rams.

41. By nick of Sydney on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Ben Graham! no one acknowledging this? what an achievement! keep it up mate

2. Sep 8, 2010: Beanie Wells / The Cardinals’ website characterizes Beanie Wells’ knee injury as a "bruise." According to | Sporty Twits
  3. Sep 8, 2010: Injury Updates « Fantasy Savvy