• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Fitz: I had nothing to do with QB change

Posted by Darren Urban on September 8, 2010 – 10:15 pm

Not that it is any surprise, but wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald insisted Wednesday he was not a factor in the Cards’ switch in quarterbacks from Matt Leinart to Derek Anderson (Coach Ken Whisenhunt had already said no players, including Fitzgerald, impacted the discussions).

“I want to clear the air on that one,” Fitzgerald told Bob Baum of the AP. “I had nothing to do with that. Somebody told me I was pulling for Derek. I’ve never taken a snap with Derek, so how can I vouch for a man that I haven’t even played with. … I think it’s unfair to point (to) me as somebody that would do that. I just want to win. I believe in coach Whisenhunt and what he’s done here over the years.

Tags: , , ,

39 Responses to “Fitz: I had nothing to do with QB change”

1. By Dirk Myers on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Larry, don’t worry about the media and catch the ball. I chose you to be on my Fantasy Football team. Don’t let me down.

2. By EFerg on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

True professional + great role model. Very proud of Larry.

3. By Brad ONeill on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

but fitz did lend a purse to paris hilton. Chris carter told me that.

4. By TBru on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

after all the flac about Larry’s brother and Kurt, I don’t think it is Larry’s nature to call out anyone. Just going out an winning sounds good to me.

5. By OLdude on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

If the media would stick to reporting facts instead of trying editorialize or manufacture news, these kinds of non-stories wouldn’t be polluting the airwaves (or print). Mr. Fitz has ALWAYS conducted himself in a professional manner (unlike many in the media- DARREN excepted) For those of us who recognize his pro manner it seems unfortunate HIS name of all people should be the one. He KNOWS his job is football and NOT sensationalistic journalism based on innuendo and conjecture. GLAD YOU ARE A CARDINAL LARRY – now go make a star out of Derek !!

6. By BluePitt on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Im not even going here…hahahah

7. By Carddan on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren, off topic, but I have to say that Michael Bidwill stopped by my place of employment today. My boss, a season ticket holder also, made sure a couple of us die-hards had the opportunity to shake his hand and say “hi”. I know we mostly thanked him for the fine job he is doing and the enjoyment the team’s success brings us. One friend, I’ll call him “Rocketman”, specifically told him what a great job YOU do in keeping us informed and being responsive. So props to you from our mouths to Michael B’s ears. (Hint: he visited the Sky Harbor Air Traffic Control Tower and Radar room today)

8. By kauaicardsfab on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Fitz is always a class act !!!

9. By Cali Mark on Sep 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, when Lienart threw that ball to Fitz in the preseason hanging him out to dry to get hurt, anyone including Fitz, who seems to be a nice/ great guy, would be upset. I believe that pass would not have happended if either Warner of Anderson had been quaterback and here are my reasons why. Warner makes decisions quicker that Lienart hence the ball would have been thrown earlier and would have given Fitz time to aviod the hit. Now Anderson has a cannon of an arm and even if he makes the decision to throw that ball the same as Lienart the ball gets there sooner and again Fitz has time to possibly avoid that hit. Although i do believe Fitz didnt go to the coach to request a Quaterback change, I believe he didnt have too. Other players and coaches saw what happened, and were probabley upset about the play and because Lienart didnt necessarily play that well in preseason or OTAs, he lost the confidence of at least some of his teammates.

10. By JamHam on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I could totally envision Fitz turning to look directly at Matt while saying that last part

11. By PWalker on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Larry has been a class act since he got here. I would say somebody is trying to stir the pot.

NFC West: the 49ers were 8-8 last year and they beat the Cardinals twice! If the Cardinals had split those two games the 49ers are 7-9 and the Cards are 11-5 (if they don’t give away the final to GB they are 12-4). The 49ers went through boot camp and started the season strong but fizzled in the end. This year the Cardinals have them in the second half of the season and see them as a threat to the division crown. There will be no excuse this year; the Cards need at least a split with SF.

Quarterback: Kurt was driven to win a Super Bowl, which was his mindset. Derek is driven to be the starter, which is his mind set. If his mind set doesn’t change fast he will be backing up Max Hall. Being the starter may be good enough in Cleveland, but expectations are much higher in Arizona. I haven’t seen that “I can take you to the promised land attitude” from DA.

Just my 2 cents; Go Cards.

12. By Tyrelle on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Thats right Fitz.

13. By greg on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Fitz being classy, as everyone expects him to be.

14. By Cardinal Cody on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

For as long as Fitz has been around he has always come across as a down-to-earth individual and also as a team player that has NEVER been one to take sides. I mean, the dude wanted to redo his own contract to help out Q. That doesn’t sound like someone who would throw a teammate under the bus.

Whether anyone likes or dislikes the way the Leinart situation went down, now it is what it is and it’s time to move on. I was pulling for Leinart, but let’s face it, when you spend 4 years in a system and you’re playing about as well as a guy who has been here for a couple months, there is some kind of issue. And we don’t know what went on behind closed doors. Maybe Whiz and Leinart didn’t get along, maybe Leinart lost the locker room. Whatever the true reason I’m glad the drama is over and now it’s time to focus and unleash the big red machine. Looking forward to see what the season brings. Go Cardinals!!!

15. By Ottis Anderson Fand on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

“Your job is not to talk in the media or have an opinion. It’s your job to go out there and produce and do what you’re asked to do.” – Larry Fitzgerald

Good words of advice for Matt Leinart as he begins a new chapter in Houston.

16. By Judy on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

II am dlad Larry made that statement,becayse frankly i had wondered.More so after Chris Carter said what he did.

17. By bobF on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

A lingering question that lots of us had. An NFL team is NOT a democracy. Do what the coach says and you’ll be fine.

18. By CZarr on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care what anyone says, there is absolutely no reason to think he is prevaricating. Fitz is one of the most professional players in this league. I only wish half the league acted the way he did when things get tumultuous.

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Carddan —

Can’t hurt to have the boss hear others sing my praises, right? ;)

20. By Peter in Canada on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Well satd Cali well said Cody and above all well said Fitz. If the Bidwills read this blog count me with Carddan

21. By Wampag on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hear it for Fitzy plays hard, studies hard says and does the right things helps WR’s in the off season pays attention to his elders and those that came before him and paved the way…it is a wonder that Favre’s indecision and other stories dominate the media outlets while Fitzy quietly does the right thing.,..GO CARDS

22. By TBru on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

VOTE Darren Urban VOTE
    for
    MAYOR of CARDINAL Town

23. By TBru on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Is it Sunday yet?

24. By Sean on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I see the Jets added Cody Brown to their PS. Was there any attempt to bring him back on our PS?

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Sean –

26. By Sean on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think we might see D Washington at OLB on obvious running downs once Hayes is healthy? What are your thoughts on how he OLB rotation will look this year.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Sean –

No. I think Washington is where he is going to be, on the inside. The outside guys are going to be Haggans, Porter and Will Davis.

28. By Don't Take Losses on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Glad Fitz did that. Maybe Bickley will shut up now.

29. By Judy on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Well i made a couple of typo’s on my post.Should have read,I am glad. Sorry i didn’t catch it before i hit the submit button.

30. By babydoll on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

there is only 1 word that comes 2 mind when i think of Fitz…INTEGRITY well said Fitz….GO CARDINALS!!!

31. By jjmock on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I believe Fitzgerald when he said he did not speak out and back Anderson. He did not practice with him or play with him so he could not vouch for how good or bad he was. On the other hand, do you think Fitzgerald getting hurt on a pass from Leinart that left Fitz strung out to dry had something to do with it? It is the quarterbacks job not only to complete passes, but also to make sure your star reciever isn’t hurt also.

32. By Scott H on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Gotta love Larry…there’s just no flaws in his game. Works hard, plays great, never in trouble, great face-of-the-team kind of guy, highly marketable, knows when not to speak, and knows exactly what to say when he does. What else can ya say about the guy???

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

jjmock –

I don’t know if that factored in.

34. By Dre on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

The Jets pick up Cody Brown, interesting. I believe Rex Ryan to be a player coach type and I am really curious to see what Rex can get out of Cody.

Fitz is the Cardinals only true super star. Despite being a nice guy, he has to be aware of what was being said. He made no attempt to say anything until after the fact, so why say anything ever. McNabb spoke on his feeling on trade rumor about Hanyesworth so Fitz’s silence says alot as.

35. By cardattac on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Ok mang,,, I was really pullin for Leinart!!! He just didn’t look like he was comfortable out there and poesn’t seem to have as much fire and poise as DA. Now Matt is a little more accurate…. Partly to the short passing game. I do believe DA can fit in very nice.

That bein said….. All you guy’s talkin how Matt leavin Larry open to a hit the a good reason Larry should be mad a Matt… Just watch how many good QB’s let their Wideouts get drilled just as they catch a ball this weekend. I was payin more attention to it this pre season after Larry got drilled. Look man if he got hit on that same play the same way just in a different spot…. Like he has many times in his career. I’m sure no body would have said anything at all.

These guys get laid out all the time. Thats what happens when you play football. Thats why there are RICH man!!! Its not as easy as it looks from our couches. Ya know??? Larry is and always has been a class act. Unlike other players who would have maybe feed off the negative media. He doesn’t. He has no reason to.

Oh yeah… I was watchin this thing on Larry where he is hangin up-side-down catchin footballs one handed!!! They also tested his off the line reaction time….. It was twice as fast as any athlete they had ever tested. .15 seconds. The average time is .36 seconds.

Right arm!!!

I haven’t posted for a bit. That was some stuff on my mind. Thanks for listening:)

GO CARDS!!!!!

36. By Kerry Bourgeois on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

I think they should get kurt back just in case something happen to the quarter back—and kurt can work with them–don’t ya’ll think that would be a good idea?

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Kerry –

Yes. I will make sure I pass that along to Whiz.

To do list –