The KISS theory

Posted by Darren Urban on September 9, 2010 – 5:08 pm

OK, maybe coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn’t exactly say, “Keep it simple, stupid” to himself when preparing for the first game of the the year, but there is little question he doesn’t want it getting too complicated. He remembers his first game as head coach in 2007, a Monday night affair in San Francisco the Cardinals should have won but didn’t as they sluggishly started the season.

It’s easy to come up with plays for Whisenhunt and the staff. It’s not as easy to put them into practice, and then execute.

“Sometimes I’ll be Mr. Idea Man and come up with a bunch of different plays and it’s hard to tell the head coach, you can’t run that play,” Whisenhunt said. “I go back to our first year in San Francisco and we didn’t perform as well in that game because we had too much stuff in (the game plan). You hope you have learned your lesson, and I think we have done a better job with that this week.”

Who does tell a head coach listen to if someone tells him he has gone a bit too far? Assistant head coach Russ Grimm perhaps?

“Russ doesn’t either,” Whisenhunt said with a smile, “because he knows if I really want it in I am going to call it anyway.”

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “The KISS theory”

1. By CaliCard on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What is your opinion on the Cardinals rookie class coming out of preseason?

2. By chad d. on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Not trying to come off wrong with this comment, but he won’t take in what the rest of the coaching staff has to say? i get he’s head hancho on The cards but to At least consider what every other assistant coach says because they may think it’s a bad idea. that just sounds stubborn, but that’s just me

3. By MikeG on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Whiz is the man— I really believe he is a top 5 coach in football–never too high or too low and a definite student of the game. I believe he is so underrated and we are lucky to have him. All fans
    can question the talent of the players we have or the players we should have kept–but our coaching staff will teach and inspire who we have and get the most out of them. The Cardinals will still play that underdog roll this year just like they did the previous 2 years and win big games when others doubt them!!! I think the Cardinals will still be a force in the NFC West—-The only thing you can’t coach against is injuries!!

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

CaliCard —

Overall, they have potential. But we are far away from seeing them prove it.

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Chad D —

The Grimm comment was said with a smile. I think yes, he will listen. But in the end, the boss does what the boss wants to do.

6. By TBru on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

“Keep it simple, stupid” , I thought the KISS theory involved Rock n rolling all night and partying every day.

7. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Love the KISS theory, struggling team in the 70’s incorporate blood spitting players and achieve success after partying all day,mostly Sundays.
    Didn’t find fans until later changing marketing ploys leave the team to change their makeup and ability to to play well in arenas.
    Just waiting for the Cards to in a threepeat in the division, to tell the 49ers to lick it up.

8. By Anand Patel on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Now it makes sense! When you said it in your earlier blog, I was pretty surprised….. Whiz overcooked the playbook in SF on the monday night game. Is KISS is the new way to go considering the situation at quarterback?

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Anand —

I think the Cards will get more complex as the season goes.

10. By robleezy on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

lets go Team lets go Whiz were pulling for you guys lets start off quick with a 1-0 lead in the nfc west

11. By moto11 on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Just went on ESPN Sunday Countdown and saw that 3 of the 4 experts (Mike Ditka, Keyshawn Johnson and Tom Jackson) have the Rams beating the Cardinals. Gotta love all of those ‘experts’ out there.

12. By TucsonTim on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Probably one of the best reasons that almost every other team in the NFL has an offensive coordinator. I said it was a mistake last year and I’ll stand by it again this year. The failure to replace Haley is big and even bigger this year when an OC could be growing and molding this new Cards offense.

13. By card62 on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Mike G Do you really think our coaches did their best with our secondary and offensive lines the last few years? I do not, but I do think our secondary will be better this year and I was very positive on our O line until the preseason games. I hope our O line does well as I am more nervous about them and our pass rush right now than I am our QB, and I am plenty nervous about Derek Anderson. I am grateful we play the Rams in week 1. No such thing as a give me in the NFL, but this is as good as it gets. Look over the Rams roster nothing impresses at all about the Rams.
    Sorry to hear that Beanie is beat up, but good to hear that Timmy has 2 100 yard days verses the Rams so hopefully Timmy runs for 150+, Larry catches 2 TD passes and Steve B. catches 1. Cards 24 Rams 7
    Fox is carrying the Packers\Eagles in my area so it will be the NFL Red Zone for me Sunday. Go Cards

14. By Scott H on Sep 10, 2010 | Reply

Oh, man, I love the KISS references ( the rock group, that is )! Due to the quick-witted nature of the Cardinals fan, my ideas for a post were taken before I even got a chance. Good one, TBru…you stole my thunder ( as in “God Of Thunder” perhaps??? )

2. Sep 10, 2010: Around the NFC West: Beanie Wells’ status « Acrylic Sports