• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Being careful with Fitz and Doucet’s surgery

Posted by Darren Urban on September 16, 2010 – 1:53 pm

WR Early Doucet indeed will have surgery to repair his sports hernia, coach Ken Whisenhunt said today. The rehab process is normally three-to-six weeks, Whisenhunt added, but he didn’t want to put an exact timetable on it. RB Beanie Wells “did more” and the Cards will see how he responds tomorrow to see how much he practices Friday. How much Wells practices Friday will determine how much/if he plays Sunday. Whisenhunt just doesn’t want swelling to continue after he works out, and that’s ultimately what the team is monitoring.

With WR Larry Fitzgerald still trying to come back from his knee injury, Whisenhunt acknowledged that while Fitz doesn’t want to miss practice reps, the Cards have “integrated Steve (Williams) a few more times.” “You walk a fine line,” Whisenhunt said, “because you want Larry to be in game shape and the only way to do that is get reps in practice.” Then again, when the Cards have a hot practice outside like Thursday, Whiz said, it makes sense, and in the game Williams may get a few more regular snaps “just to make sure Larry stays fresh.”

DE Kenny Iwebema (knee) and S Hamza Abdullah were the only changes to the injury report, with both moving up to limited participation.

Tags: , , , , , ,

64 Responses to “Being careful with Fitz and Doucet’s surgery”

1. By MIKEFLORIO on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I SEE vincent Jackson In the CARDS FUTURE!!!! URB??? AGREEE!!!!!!

2. By MikeG on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Do you think Gabe Watson will be in the DL rotation this week against Turner and Norwood???
    PS..I will stop with the Agree’s!!!–you da man!!!

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio –

RE: Jackson

Uh, no.

4. By Tony on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Will Fitz be without the brace Sunday or is it still to early to know?

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Watson

Hard to tell. I think it’s going to be hard for Whisenhunt to want to change up his defensive lineup after it worked pretty well last week.

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Tony –

RE: Fitz brace

I expect him to have a brace on. No reason not to.

7. By should have kept Q on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren

If Komar and roberts dont get the job done this week or next week, what do you think they will do. Are they hoping in the long run that williams can be that # 3 wr. I really dont see Early staying around here to long. Maybe im wrong but the kid needs to stay healthy. Also do you think they should have Boldin?

Thanks

8. By Tyrelle on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

What is the game plan on offense Urban? What are they trying to do now that our injuries are kind of getting better.

9. By Drew on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren do you think if Steven Williams proves he is a better reciever than Doucet he could become our 3rd reciever not that I dislike Doucet but Williams had an incredible preseason with DA

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Should Have –

RE: WR/Boldin

I think they’d have to think about signing a vet if the young guys don’t do the job. But they think they will.

As for Q, it was hard not to love Q. But he didn’t want to be here anymore, and financially, it would have been foolish to give him a huge new deal given his age and injury history, especially when you are about to pay Fitz and Breaston. Someone had to go.

11. By cory on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Stephen Williams will be a Top 20 WR in the NFL within 3 years. Breaston will not be re-signed back in 2011 because of Williams’s presence.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle –

RE: offense

They are going to try and do what they always try and do. Not sure why it would change.

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Drew –

RE: Williams v Doucet

Everyone is always competing. Doucet has to get on the field before it’s anything but a moot point.

14. By Jason on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

cory –
    You’re Insane.

15. By jwit on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Have you had the chance to observe or hear about Anderson/Fitz’s timing during practice? If so, do you see improvement or are they still trying to get in sync?

Thanks

16. By ross on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

So what’s up with Beanie? Is he gonna sit out again?

17. By Bryan on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Worst reply of the day.lol

18. By Paul on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Do you think we might see some more plays to the tight end this week? Or maybe a little more Jason “everytime I touch the ball good things happen” Wright?

19. By BLOOD RED on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see tight ends given chance to step up this week.I expect Komar to snap back after first game jitters.We are going to suprise some people with missing our #1 weapon,but honestly i think it’s the smart move.DA has better timing with second string and Williams will do what he did in preseason.Let Fitz rest on turf and come back strong.Doucet will still end up being a very good player!.POUND THE ROCK N ROLL!!!!

20. By Brad ONeill on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

the heat has nothing to do with how larry’s knee is doing. they are getting williams in because williams is going to be vital for success this weekend if Larry continues to struggle.

21. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, about Q, Larry came in the league 1 year after Boldin, so I dont really understand why his age matters because Fitzgerald is right there behind him, and as for the WR core, what do you see happening within the next 2 offseasons cause I see a lot of young guys starting to move up on the rosters? Any chance this team will just go and try to get a real vet that can play? especially at the QB spot, This team rose to the top and then got hit hard in just 1 season, can this team get turned around with these players that have only been here 2 years or less?

22. By darrel on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren. Now I know antonio bryant has been injury prone too. But if komar does not pan out would he opition for us

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Jwit –

RE: DA and Fitz

I don’t think it’s going to come all the way together before Fitz is healthy, which is is not.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Ross —

RE: Beanie

I wouldn’t count on him being able to have a monster game. Ask me again tomorrow.

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

RE: playcalling

Possibly. Not sure why there weren’t more TE plays last week.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darrel –

RE: Bryant

I would doubt it.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

RodgersCromartie –

RE: Q and Fitz

Fitz is just about three years younger than Q (as is Breaston). Plus Boldin, with the way his game is, took/takes much more punishment. As for the young players, that’s how you build a team. What vets are you looking at? Players that want gigantic contracts (this isn’t Dallas or Washington) or “names” that are past their expiration date?

28. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals look like they have been building this team for 50 years, finally they have a great team, now all those players that made this team good are gone, so does that mean its going to be another 50 years before we see the Cardinals in the playoffs? How is it that all these other teams we see in the postseason every year get to keep all thier big starters but not AZ?

29. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I say vets like McNab, that would have been a good chaser, or Brandon Marshall, and now Vincent Jackson.

30. By Dre on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

This is the break the Kid (williams) needed. You can’t write a better story then this and I hope he has a monster game. Playmaker make plays when it really counts and this is the perfect scenario for him to make a name for himself on the national stage because ESPN will eat this up.

I think its important for them to make the Falcons prepare as if Larry will be the #1 option. Using him as kinda of a decoy for Sunday game, going to him enough to keep the defense honest and also to help rehab that knee. There isn’t a better way to get into game shape then to play in a game. Fitz is going to have to give that little give me the ball talk a rest and know that this is what the team need from him. He don’t have to lead from the front, it can be just as effective if a leader leads from the back.

I’m worried about the run game because we are going to have to control the clock and limit ATL possessions. I not think Hightower demands much respect from other team. ATL will be fired up after losing last week. This will be their home opener and we better be able to handle their energy.

PS Darren,

What do you think Whisenhut mean regarding [With WR Larry Fitzgerald still trying to come back from his knee injury, Whisenhunt acknowledged that while Fitz doesn’t want to, the Cards have “integrated Steve (Williams) a few more times.” ] Is Fitz becoming a Diva wide out?

31. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

cory –

Think again. I’d love to see Williams become the player he looked like he could be during the pre-season, but Breaston is already proving himself as a legit starter in this league. He had a 1,000 yard season two years ago with Fitzgerald AND Boldin ahead of him on the depth chart. I don’t know what you’re NOT seeing, but Steve-O is for real. And i hope he’s not going anywhere in the near future.

Ya know what scares me about Doucet? Three words – Klye Vanden Bosch. Sorry if I spelled that wrong. It kills me to this day that when he was with the Cardinals, he was nothing but injured and he couldn’t stay on the field. As soon as the Cardinals gave up and he went to Tennessee, he was instantly healthy and has been a stand-out player ever since. See where I’m going with this? Doucet is yet another player who appears loaded with talent and potential that just can’t stay on the field because he’s always hurt. Some think he is a Boldin clone. That would be great if it were true…I just hope we don’t finally realize it when he’s playing for someone else!

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

RodgersCromartie –

RE: Teams keeping stars

You mean like the Colts keeping Edge and Marvin Harrison? The Patriots keeping Seymour and Deion Branch? The Steelers keeping Santonio Holmes, Burress and almost every good linebacker they have ever had the last 20 years?

33. By Scott H on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey, let’s get this one this week in Atlanta! San Fran looks destined for 0-2 with a loss to New Orleans…getting up two games on them right off the bat would be sweet! Never too early to take control of a division!

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

RE: Fitz

Not at all. Fitzgerald wants to practice. That’s not a bad trait to have.

35. By Brad ONeill on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

can i take a moment to dream about the saints putting down the 49ers, the cardinals getting out with a win in atlanta.

I saw where dockett was dedicating this upcomming game to his mother and he was going to take a bunch of kids from the old neighborhood shopping. I hope he buys them some cardinals jerseys. I also hope the moms of those kids give him some of the love he deserves. i like that guy more and more every season.

i feel sorry for the poor bastard lining up across from him when the this ones for mom feeliing wells up in that beast.

36. By WhyTheCardinals on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Where is freaking Andre Roberts? It’s time for him to engage!

37. By Joe Robinson on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Looking at some of the injury’s we need to help out fitz and doucet but we also need to help out anderson and get max hall in there so he can show the US what a true AZ is about

38. By Joe Robinson on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

IF the TEAM reads this KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH and play the game not the career to show that we are a team that needs to be known for winning not IN THE DIRT as allot of people say GO CARDS

39. By Mandy on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Wait a minute…….Doucet is hurt……AGAIN……what a shocker………..its always something, thats the worst part…..ITS ALWAYS something…….

40. By Mandy on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

This is going to be a season where the defense is more dominant than the offense……..PERIOD………..its been the other way around before , but this season its clearly going to be the defense that will be more consistent….or NEEDS to be……

41. By cardsfan28 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren do you think we’ll see Jeremy Bridges starting ahead of Brandon Keith at all this season? Or do you think Brandon is the better player?

42. By Lou on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Its upsetting to know that we could have had tony gonzalez last yr for a second round pick. we used that pick to take cody brown, now he is gone. I really do think we will hurt this yr with no warner and boldin. Q is 29 or 30 yrs old we could have gave him something to keep him here. Early cant keep himself on the field, roberts so far hasnt shown that he can catch the ball. The cardinals should have made a run at Donovan McNabb or marc buldger. I really havent seen anything from DA and that is from trainning camp to now. If they wanted check down passes and leaving your WR to hang out to dry they should have kept leinart then. From 2007 to now we have let a alot of good players go some we replaced with better talent but the different thing about the steelers, indy, packers, and ravens they pay there players and they keep there players.

43. By Eazy E on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

VINCENT JACKSON!!!

44. By Adam on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Is Fitz’s injury something that can take longer to heal because he keeps playing on it? I don’t know if he has to work his conditioning and timing into shape to look like himself again, or does the MCL just need more time to heal? Would it be worth it to sit him a game like they made Q sit in Chicago last year? Maybe the Raider game if he struggles again this week?

45. By TBru on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I would love to have Q in a Cards uniform, but his drama really got to be a distraction. The Cards have a way of going about the business of football, grandstanding and pouting about money is not the way to get things done. I will always Anquan almost looking embarrassed in the the Cardinals ultimate victory when they won the NFC. Q was a great player but in all honesty they had to move on.

46. By TBru on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

RE: Teams keeping stars

47. By HyphenStandsUp on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

This weeks game – HEARS AL FOR POSTSEASON?

48. By BluePitt on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

I have a bad taste about the SeaChick’s this year. All I hear is the 9ers this and the 9ers that.

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

cardsfan28 –

RE: Keith

I think it’s a little early to be quitting on Keith.

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

RE: Fitz injury

Both Whiz and Fitz insist he will heal while playing.

51. By dan on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Seahawks suck. I’m not worried about those bums.

52. By mrbyte on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren my old english teacher would have had a fit at your headline for this article, it was very misleading.
    I had a fit when I saw it thinking Fitz had had surgery!! tut tut

53. By clssylssy on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

We barely squeeked that win out in St.Louis and we’re not going to be able to reply on our defense and special teams to win all our games. Tony Gonzalez is a FHOF, still doesn’t miss a beat, and I’m sure there’s no way we could have afforded him although he would have “fit” beautifully in our organization. I wish the Cards would come up with a way to infuse some cash into the coffers so we could pay our players what they deserve and thereby retain some of our talent after spending so much time building a winning team. The Seahawks look great this year and we better start gettings our “mistakes” worked out sooner than later.

54. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

MrByte –

RE: Headline

Not sure how you got Fitz having surgery when it clearly says “Doucet’s surgery.”

55. By Todd Olivier, winnipeg on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, we here in winnipeg got much love for cardinals, tell fitz and whisenhunt that I and the rest of us here in canada believe in them! GOOO CARDSSS !!! :)

56. By Scott on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I was so excited to see Doucet this year, this is really dissapointing. Hopefully he can bounce back faster than he has with his other injuries.

57. By Mrbyte on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

It says Fitz and Doucets surgery as it both admittedly there should be an S at the end of surgery for it to mean both but I missed that little bit of evidence :)

silly me

keep calm and carry on

58. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren if we get V.jackson we are going to the Superbowl!! Again what are the Chances Slim or None?? Go Bigred

59. By Chris Waldrop on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I know practice is a whole different situation than an actual game, but how have DA and Larry looked? Has their timing improved?

60. By Dre on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren

You know how upset I was over the Leinart and Anderson switch-out but I have just discovered something, maybe for myself, that leaves me utterly speechless.

What got my attention was how may times we passed the ball against the Rams. I thought 41 pass attempts were Kurt Warner type numbers but the completion precentage was a mere 53.7%. I remembered hearing DA’s 2007 pro bowl percentage was only 56.5%.

I decided to go back 5 years to compare DA’s best passing percentage year ’07 at 56.5% to the team passing percentage and attempts. I also wanted to see where 56.5%(DAs best yr) falls at in the league going back 5 year.

az% att/g DA’s 56.5% placement in league
    2009 66.0% 37.1 #27 (btm 6)
    2008 66.3% 39.4 #29 (btm 4)
    2007 60.3% 36.9 #30&31 (btm 2)
    2006 59.1% 34.1 #27 (btm 6)
    2005 62.5% 41.9 #30 (btm 3)

I just can understand this…I know Beanie Wells did not play, hightower was fumbling and Fitz was hurt but I hope we don’t see a high pass attemt in a game from DA ever again. Those extra plays need to go directly to Beanie if we are to do anything. Da career passing percentage is only 52%…someone deserves a butt whipping for creating this messing and if they can’t get him up to a 60% completion passer they failed in my eyes. And the punishment for failing is to say “i’m sorry to the fans and I won’t do anything as idiotic like this every again.”

So do me a favor and call it what it is, please stop trying to paint a pretty picture for someone who has not deserved it…you have to earn respect here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the numbers (stats) don’t lie. We have a bottom of the barrel quarterback this is were we areat.

61. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

This team is not trading for Vincent Jackson.

62. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

RE: DA-Fitz

We will see Sunday.

63. By Dre on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Sorry my stat table collapsed
    (above comment fot mor information)

………………………………DA’s 56.5%
    ……..team% …att/g ..placement in league
    2009 66.0% …37.1 …..#27 (btm 6)
    2008 66.3% …39.4 …..#29 (btm 4)
    2007 60.3% …36.9 …..#30&31 (btm 2)
    2006 59.1% …34.1 …..#27 (btm 6)
    2005 62.5% …41.9 …..#30 (btm 3)

2. Sep 16, 2010: Fitzgerald’s knee still not 100 percent » Feed Me Fantasy