Dockett’s plans for the ATL

Posted by Darren Urban on September 16, 2010 – 11:15 pm

Darnell Dockett is going home.

Dockett is originally from Decatur, Georgia, close enough to Atlanta. He came from tragedy, having walked in to see his murdered mother when he was 13. He tweeted earlier this week he was dedicating this game to his mom, and said he may cry before the game.

But Dockett also is taking a message back home, to those who once doubted him and to those who could be him.

“I get to play in front of my grandmother and all the friends I grew up with and I’m looking for some other people I grew up with, like the neighbor who always called the police on me,” Dockett said. “I’m trying to get her tickets to the game too so she can watch me.”

Dockett said he is going to see some friends and take a handful of needy neighborhood kids shopping.

“I want to reach out to the young kids and keep them out of trouble, try and show them the positive things,” Dockett said. “When I was growing up no one came back to show me that stuff. It was always the drug dealers and the bad stuff. For me to talk to kids and give them money and take them shopping so they don’t have to steal or rob to get it, no matter where I am in Arizona, I still love the kids, I still love the community and I am not  bigger than where I came from.”

It’s not all a love fest, though. There is a part of Dockett who wants to show something to the neighborhood types that he said counted him out when he was a kid.

“Neighbors treat you a certain way because you are not as wealthy as them or they look down on you, to go back and show them all things are possible,” Dockett said. “You shouldn’t count someone out. I hope I can get in touch with them even though they probably won’t come because their ego will kick in. It’d be a privilege to show them what I have done with my life and to see what they have done with theirs.”

Tags:

34 Responses to “Dockett’s plans for the ATL”

1. By Tina on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

This article describes the exact reason Dockett is my favorite Cardinals player. I love the way he pumps up his team mates and openly discusses his past. He never forgets where he came from and is thankful for his success. I absolutely LOVE to watch him play! GO 9-0…..

2. By Sedona Chris on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

class act, Darnell… you should get the rest of your D to shop with you… and dominate the Falcons

3. By Eazy E on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Look for a huge game from dockett to the tune of 2 or 3 maybe 4 sacks, 5 or 6 tackles, 2 tfls. An even more motivated dockett is scary. He’s scary enough, but now. R.I.P. To his mother.

4. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

THAT’S GREAT STUFF. DARNELL DOCKETT YOU ARE THE NEW MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD!

5. By darrel on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren…. those black uniforms are great is any chance we change the red uniforms To the away. And black for the home.games. also any chance the cardinals have. Throwback day it would be cool to see them. Line up in old cardinals red

6. By Josh C on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

IHUGE Arizona fan here in the ATL, glad to see ya comin home Darnell!!! Now go show them “Dirty Birds” how we play football in Arizona! GO CARDS!!!

7. By kingdiamond on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darnell has really developed into a quality man-a real gentleman. What better sign of a leader than to help those who have none, to forgive those that doubted, and to thanks those who supported him through the dark days. Well done 90-so go knock the hell out of them now!

8. By Tyrelle on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

If you are going to steal Dockett, steal the ball. lol

He is just a class act. Gotta him love and the whole squad. RIP to his mother though.

9. By clssylssy on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

You go 9-0! You are a BIG reason that the Cards aren’t just another football team. Your toughness, tenacity, and personal accountability holding yourself to a higher standard has earned you the respect of your colleagues and love of the fans in Arizona. Good luck in Atlanta!

10. By TucsonTim on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

7 point under dogs. Basically the ESPN analysis “west coast goes east to a dome”. That’s it. Like that’s all it takes for the Cards to lose. No mention of the defense, Fitz or Wells. Got to love the lack of respect. Hope it all gets posted around the locker room. Not that they should need the motivation. Starting 2-0 in this division is almost a guaranteed playoff spot. Unfortunately going 2-0 on the road might bring about some praise for the Cards.

Hope they can give Fitz some rest and Williams and Breston light up the dome.

How was Beanie’s knee yesterday?

11. By aaaaudio on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Great post Darren. Docket is interesting. Seems to be fairly humble in his ways with a very colorful personality. I have a son who is around the age of 12 and I can not imagine what he would do had he have to live with the adversity of seeing your murdered mother. Very inspiring. Maybe they make a movie of his life?

12. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Now thats a leader right there. I can’t take anything away from that man. A real class act. Take it to the Falcons Darnell, GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!

13. By Dre on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

You know, this has been a rough off-season…a lot of wonder after seeing all the players leaving for whatever reason. But some hope was restored during the draft and free agency. Then we hit August and everything went crazy again. I said all of that to say this, everyone loves a good story and we still have several to enjoy. I love the growth Darnell is showcasing and I give him two thumbs up for looking out for the kids.

Mann, I can’t wait for the game Sunday…looking forward to see some shut down defense.

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darrel —

RE: uniforms

No, I don’t see the black unis being anything but the alternate.

15. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

TusconTim —

RE: Beanie’s knee

It was still attached.

16. By Nick Pepe on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

@ Staff Sgt Tim Roberts, assuming your title is genuine you are a leader and role model as well. Thank you and be safe. As for 9-0, how can you not love this guy. All he does is bring it week in and week out. I said it before and I will say it again, we have a great solid core of “franchise” players, and I could give a rats rear end if the so called experts never give us credit. Go Cards!
    ACO Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

17. By TransplantPete on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

As tough as it is to hear Darnell’s story time and again, I never tire of it. The tragedy of him losing his mother is heart-wrenching, but his ability to overcome what would surely knock out most others is inspiring. Darnell, whether you make no tackles and commit 15 penalties in the same game or you earn your place in the Hall of Fame based on a one-game performance, your presence on and off the field is no less the same as ever: huge, impressive, and worthy of respect.

Have a great game on Sunday. My family, friends, and I will be watching you with the utmost regard.

18. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

9-0 U the Man get us 5sacks on Sunday Show them all u the Bigdog!!! Go Bigred
    Class Act Dockett Class Act!!

19. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

@Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts Thank u for your Service sir its hero’s like yourself that give us the freedom to enjoy life! Thank you!

20. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren thank god we got class act Organization!! An we don’t have to worry about smoking out the Rats!! lol Thanks Darren for all the Blogs an updates! enjoy them everyday!

21. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren I read a comment from Mike Florio to u about V.jackson being a Card?? does that Buckett hold any Water??? Cause Jackson is a big time player 6’5-6’6 monster an to be on the outside with Fitz wow!! Superbowl Problem Solved an no more people crying about Q!
    An we could get him for a 2nd rd pick I think we should make the Move!
    Lets Go Bigred!!! Nfc Champs Again! Back to Back to Back

22. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

9-0 plans on spending the money on Kids an 5 g’s to Twitter Fund!! Doc thanks for Keeping us posted brother of the fear your about to put into opposition soon the Nfl will have game time comments from player on the field thanks to 9-0 an that 85cat For the Kids an the Fans 9-0 is a Beast Go Bigred

23. By Scott H on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Many people could easily look at Darnell and get the wrong idea ( the hair, the tattoos, his “street” demeanor on the feild ) and that’s a shame because if they get the wrong idea, they’re missing a chance to know how great his story is and what a really decent guy he is. That is, to anyone except the unfortunate soul who has to line up across from him on Sunday…THAT person might not find him so friendly! To 9-0, I hope that your homecoming is truly a triumphant and gratifying one. And I hope you kick ass like you never have before on that field in Atlanta! Bring it on home, big guy!

Seriously, let’s get this one in Atlanta. San Fran is definitely 0-2 after Sunday…how cool would it be to be two up on them coming home to play Oakland next week???

24. By Eazy E on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Where’s brandon mcdonald? He needs to play, he can make a big contribution to our secondary as the nickel.

25. By TBru on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I had no idea about Dock’s mom and the way he found out. Go Cards

26. By Rob on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Love you 9-0 best DE in the NFL today

27. By Jesse Robles on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I am not worried about a black jersey, any jersey I get is RED

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E —

RE: McDonald

How do you know he “needs” to play?

29. By TucsonTim on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

Attached and full of blood, attached and full of serosanguinous fluid, attached and full of clear fluid, attached and laterally stable or attached and the MCL is stretched beyond hopes of healing this season. Just hoping for a little clarification

30. By Eazy E on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

He’s a good nickel cb and could start if need be.

31. By Eazy E on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

But don’t get me wrong, I like Toler, he played fairly well against st. louis.

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Beanie injury

You’re not going to get that kind of clarification from Whisenhunt usually.

33. By cardsalltheway on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

I doubt the neighbor who “called the police on him” will go to the game if he/she is still alive and who’s to say he/she likes sports/football anyway.
    “It’d be a privilege to show them what I have done with my life and to see what they have done with theirs.” Is Dockett going to laugh at anyone who might be unemployed or doesn’t make as much money as him playing a kids game?
    What does Dockett need to show, that he is a big time overpaid professional or that the Cards will win? Those who don’t know about what he has achieved probably don’t care and what if the Cards don’t win, what will that say? I think it’s about time Dockett let’s go of some of his ill feelings toward some of the people in the past.

2. Sep 17, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com