Whiz the day after

Posted by Darren Urban on September 20, 2010 – 12:52 pm

The message coming from Ken Whisenhunt a day after the loss to Atlanta is even-keeled, so if you’re looking for the fire-and-brimstone attack, ain’t happening.

– There were no significant injuries in the game, he said, at least none that will cause any missed time.

– On RB Beanie Wells playing this week: “I can’t say I am confident he will play. I am certainly optimistic he will play, but he has to show me in practice this week.” Wells has done very little football-wise since hurting his knee in the preseason finale Sept. 2.

– Whisenhunt still thinks QB Derek Anderson is improving. And he insists the problems in the passing game are not even close to being only the fault of the quarterback. He pointed out the missed seam throw to TE Ben Patrick came when Anderson had a pass rusher around his legs.

– He said rookie NT Dan Williams had a couple alignment errors but that he is pleased with Williams thus far.

– It was Kenny Iwebema on the hold on the Hyphen’s KOR for a touchdown. It was away from the play and probably didn’t impact the runback, Whisenhunt said, but that it was clearly a hold and a good call.

– Using Steve Breaston as a punt returner was a decision based on the matchup. Falcons punter Michael Koenen is famous for high hang time with little return yardage, so Whisenhunt simply wanted someone who could safely catch the ball in the dome since there wouldn’t be much chance for returns. It’ll be interesting to see who is back there for the Raiders’ game, since Oakland just has the best punter in the league — Shane Lechler.

– Larry Fitzgerald “looked strong,” a very good sign as Fitz comes back from the knee injury. Fitzgerald obviously looked better than Week One.

– As for the 0-for-8 on third downs, “on every one I could point to someone different,” Whisenhunt said. For example, there was a pass to an open Hyphen but Hyphen didn’t get his head around fast enough and the ball bounced off him.

I’ll have more in a story in a bit.

Tags: , , , , , ,

141 Responses to “Whiz the day after”

1. By Eric J on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

2nd best punter…
    Where is the Graham love??

2. By CZarr on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Its good to know Whiz is placid even after a loss like that. We don’t need another “They are who we thought they were!” incident. I don’t think I have even seen Whiz yell or scowel at all on the sidelines… Is he possibly a robot or an alien Darren?

3. By Tyrelle on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Will he stop making excuses for them and tell them that he expect a better performance instead of letting them giggle and have a good time in the shower after getting mauled? That is unacceptable and Whiz need to tell them that he won’t tolerate the bad performances.

4. By Tim on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Last week on Colin Cowherds’ radio show he was discussing that in baseball the Mets and Giants are good home teams. The theory was that opposing teams come in and bring their families and have plenty of distractions in these nice cities. Seeing how it looked like the Cardinals didn’t show up in yesterdays game with a few exceptions; do you think the team traveled out to Atlanta and basically went on vacation mode partying it up down there which distracted them from the game?

5. By Steve on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Just want to throw out there for eveyone to hang DA out to dry and beg Warner to comeback…

Mr. Warner had a few of these losses especially in the SB year.

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

CZarr —

RE: Whiz

A zombie, actually.

Tell me everyone, you’d rather have a Singletary moment from your coach? Really?

7. By Jesse Robles on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I totally agree about Dan Williams, he did have a good game. Dan Williams and Darryl Washington are both playing consistent. I liked the way Larry looked too. Thanks for the update Darren, If I say one thing positive about the Cardinals in this game is, THE ONE PLAY we scored on looked flawless!! Brandon Keith’s block on the LB set TIm up and the play was so beautiful, that was all. I see the potential and I see where we can go and I do believe in them. We had it coming, we knocked them out of the playoffs in our run to the SB, it was coming. I think DA needs the most work, but everyone needs to step up. LETS GO SAINTS!!! Niners loose, everyone else in the Division LOST and we are still tied for FIRST. ONE game at a time baby!! NFC WEST CHAMPS!! I hope Derrick Anderson proves me wrong…

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Tim —

RE: Visiting Atlanta

Nope. I think they played a crappy game and against a good team, that gets you rolled.

9. By Joe-B on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Wrong, Ben Graham is the best Punter in the NFL.

10. By Kyle on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Is Whiz still play calling on O? If yes, any talk about letting someone else take over so he can focus on managing the game!

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Whiz playcalling

Yes. And no. And why? What issues are there “managing” the game?

12. By Chad D on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

If coach acts out of control, he usually is. I’ll take the calm and steady Whiz any day of the week. By the way people, remember that Whiz will make some mistakes. All coaches do it, it doesn’t mean they aren’t quality leaders that are fully in charge of their team. If Whiz’s biggest mistake was letting go of Leinart, then we have NOTHING to complain about.
    Darren, it seems that Whiz hasn’t shown any “trick plays” (Rolle throwing a deep pass to Fitz, etc.) yet. He is a bit of a risk taker, but I am not sure if we haven’t seen any due to the game situations, or if he is growing beyond some of the “ball-check” plays. What are your thoughts? P.S. I know last week after we were way down is not the time to try out the fun stuff.

13. By smack28 on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

It has been a long time since we have seen a meltdown like that. Let’s face it, the Falcons are not known as an offensive juggernaut, and I do not believe they will be considered one after their next couple of games. So, is it right to blame things on penalties, missed assignments, etc? I wish I could chalk it up to that, but I know what I saw on that field yesterday. This team lacks two major components, strength at ILB and a solid pass rushing OLB. Why would this talented staff of coaches believe they were okay at those spots with a rookie and a journeyman at ILB; and “over the hill” OLBs like Porter and Haggans? When Hayes announced that he was having back surgery, Graves should have put a full court press on Kieth Bullock when there was no market for Bullock (Bullock stated on Sirius NFL radio that he was looking for a team and no one was calling him around that time)?

I hope things get better, but I am not seeing it. I guess I could also call into question why Graves failed to bring in Bulger for a very low salary when this coaching staff pretty much knew that they would sever ties with Matt Leinart. I guess I will save that question for a later day.

14. By Dre on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

– [Using Steve Breaston as a punt returner was a decision based on the matchup. Falcons punter Michael Koenen is famous for high hang time with little return yardage, so Whisenhunt simply wanted someone who could safely catch the ball in the dome since there wouldn’t be much chance for returns]

wow, in other words we have people on the team who can’t catch a punt at the NFL level. Mind Blowing!!! what do they do in practice…walk throughs all practice.

15. By Chris on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I see this as a learning experence(sorry if that is spelled wrong). It happened last year agains the 9ers and Colts, it could happen again. The Cards did learn off of those games. And no Card fan should expect Anderson to come out and look like Warner. Give Derek a break. He is not Warner, or Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady. He is Derek Anderson. He came from the Browns. He is a little use to having bad plays. He will change.

And was it just me or was the ref cheating a little?

16. By Tyrelle on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think someone is saying curse them out or do stuff Singletary do but by the same token, you are not suppose to keep quiet when they are under performing. They said in 08 after losing to Philly, they wouldnt lose again, and then lost to NE and that forced Whiz to call them out when he told them to play like starters. IMO, all they need is another call out like in 08 to get them to understand that half stepping will get us nowhere and nothing but early picks in the NFL Draft.

17. By Scott H on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Ya know what? I hate to say it, but…what is Whiz going to say about Anderson right now? I mean, he’s not Rex Ryan and for that, I am very glad. I like his even keeled demeanor. But let’s not forget one thing – we listened for months about leinart was making progress and working hard, etc, etc, etc. Well, looked how that truned out! Don’t get me wrong, my point is NOT that we shouldn’t trust Whiz or pay any attention to what he says because we know it will change. My point is that what we DO know about Whiz is that he will ultimately do what is best for the team. And, again, I love him for that. Regardless of what he says right now about Anderson, Anderson will not keep this job for long if he doesn’t start playing better…like, NOW.

BTW, for the record, parting ways with Leinart was absolutely the right thing to do. Whiz did the right thing there. Unfortunately, the alternative was Derek Anderson.

18. By MikeG on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren—It does seem like it is diificult to
    play defense in this league anymore with all the penalties that are called. I know the NFL wants scoring in their games. What did you think of the
    Toler penalty in the 2nd Qtr? Seemed like a good
    hard shoulder tackle??? & the play where Matt Ryan lost his helmet–they called a facemask penalty–but it seemed like his helmet just came off when he hit the ground??

19. By burlybird on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m concerned about the number of penalties our team is consistently having. So called experts say this is a product of coaching. I don’t know if that is true and I believe in Whiz more than anybody but when are we finally gonna see improvement in this area? This has been an issue throughout the Whiz era. I don’t want him to turn into Singletary but I’m hoping his brilliance will eventually discover a way to clean up the yellow flags. Any thoughts Darren?

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Chad D —

RE: Trick plays

I think until he feels the offense is consistently doing the regular stuff, that other stuff is going to stay in the back pocket.

21. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I live here in the Bay Area and do I ever get it from the 49er Fans. I stand my ground and back my team. But coach is making it tough with the some of the decision making. I know we have gone through road game blowouts before. Philly, New England with Warner at the helm. Sorry, but DA just doesn’t show me anything. I don’t believe in him and it looks like the team doesn’t either.
    You follow the team a lot closer than I ever could so what is your real perception. I’m trying to hand in there with this DA situation but not being able to convert on 3rd down is unacceptable. and not matter what excuse coach makes to protect his choice at QB, its still his fault. The QB get’s the credit and the blame.

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Smack28 —

RE: Bulger

You do realize it took more than $3 million this season for the Ravens to get Bulger.

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Dre —

RE: Punt returning

Impressive that you’d twist it to mean that.

How about you look at it the other way — Breaston is the best guy to make the catch, so they went with him. I’m not sure how that means the other guys can’t as much as Breaston is better.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Your last “BTW”

Yes. That. (Although the “unfortunately” is a little harsh).

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Penalty calls

The rules are what they are. It’s an offensive league. And plenty of defensive players around the league were complaining yesterday about some of these calls.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Burlybird —

RE: More penalties

The hope is that they get better. Ultimately, to me it is up to the players. They are adults. They shouldn’t have so many issues. A coach can only do so much.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Bay Area —

RE: QB

Bottom line, the personnel isn’t changing right now or soon. So you hope for the best. He’s not Warner and isn’t going to be.

28. By MikeG on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Yes—-Didn’t Kerry Rhodes get tossed for grabbing an official??? Crazy??? Thanks–for all your work–appreciate it!!!–talk to you later in the week!!!!

29. By Logan cooper on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Do you know if whiz personally thanked Mike Smith for that whooping?

30. By georgiebird on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Becoming less and less a fan of Whiz. Understand how the division will be won at 9-7 and maybe 8-8— so no need to panic BUT I think Whiz’ “even keel approach” is overdone

Whiz says ‘he will clean up the problems ‘ but things seem to stay the same:
    1) no production from the TE
    2) bad tackling
    3) penalties
    4) big plays against the defense on 3rd down

The linebackers seem to be an easily blocked group- how much better can Car;l Haggans be than Will Davis? or is Will another defensive disappointment.
    Also , how much better is B. Robinson than Gabe or is Gabe a big disappointment? Some moves should be made-far better teams shuffle players.

31. By Dre on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

It’s is funny to me the difference in attitude between Leinart and DA. The line not picking up there blocks, for Matt it was they wouldn’t play for him (this after Matt footed the bill to Hawaii for them this year) and for DA he is a tough quaterback for taking the hits who needs time to gel with the team. Could it have been the line is not that good?

Three and outs for Matt, he can’t generated offense and for DA and I quote “on every one I could point to someone different,” Whisenhunt said. For example, there was a pass to an open Hyphen but Hyphen didn’t get his head around fast enough and the ball bounced off him” Wow sounds like he has DA’s back….can you say denial!!!

When Matt takes what the defense give him and hits the check down or short pass, giving up no T.O. whatsoever I might add, he doesn’t have the arm strength to go down field and we need more then just a game manager. DA all game long threw short passes, completing only 54% with two interception and Whisenhut say “he is improving.” — he’s improving or someone decided it was safe to bring Fitz across the middle again.

After seeing DA take pounding after pounding, game after game and the undrafted rooky come in and throw intercepion with only 3 mins left in a game….what was he trying to do bring us back from 41-7 in three minutes. What came first the chiken or the egg…what happen first a benching or an injury?

I have been a Football fan for 30 years and I don’t think I ever seen a more ridiculous move. To make DA, a 50% passer our starter and backing him up with a UNDREAFTED ROOKIE and having a 5TH RD. ROOKIE at #3. This is worst then eagles trading a star quarterback in McNabb to a team in there own division. You only go with rookie when you are rebuilding and for them to learn first hand. Next time you see DA in game…see if he reminds of a rookie QB when he is in there.

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

RE: Thanking the other coach

Something tells me that didn’t happen.

33. By JMILL on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

GET THAT A DUB PART TWO WORKING DARREN

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

JMill —

RE: Wilson video

It’s working. Let it load all the way. It’ll play on it’s own when loaded.

35. By Brad ONeill on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

this game reminds me of the carolina game. we seem to be really bad when it comes to meeting a team we have beat in an important game previously.

36. By Fatdog on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Halls errors would not be any worse than Anderson so why not go with the rookie now and get it over with because this team will not win with Anderson ever!!!

37. By Thavis on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Dre-

I completely agree with your last statements. Though Leinart had his faults I believe that choosing DA over him was one of the biggest mistakes Whiz could have made for this franchise. It is what it is and I hope DA can prove me wrong, but he didn’t do it in Cleveland.

38. By Big Red on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Coach Whiz, you’ve taken us where no other coach has ever taken us. I Thank You and believe in your coaching. I know we will win next week, for sure.

39. By Stuart on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m being fair and giving DA till the by week, My question is though instead of telling DA he needs to get better and get more acurate and more focused why does Whiz just keep sticking up for him telling him he’s doing good and getting better when obviously he’s not? I’m not putting the game all on DA cause that beat down was a Team Effort but seriously he’s quarterbacking like a bum just like he did with the Browns, he needs to be told by his coach to set up or step back as the QB not that “hey you looked like crap again but your doing good and your getting better” I just don’t get it.

40. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

RE: Whiz/DA

Well, for starters, we don’t know if that is exactly what Whiz is saying to Anderson. It’s what Whiz is telling us. Second, while it’s clear Anderson isn’t playing incredibly well, I don’t know — nor does anyone on the outside — how much of that is DA and how much of it is other breakdowns.

When Warner was here, he likely played at a high enough level that he overcame other player’s mistakes. If DA isn’t good enough to do that, that raises the bar for others.

Also, what do you expect Whiz to do? That’s a good poll question, btw — no looking back in time. If you are Whiz, what do you do in this exact situation (and Vick is not available in trade, before anyone suggests such a thing)? Do you go to Hall — and actually give me the realistic scenario how that plays out. Do you stick with Anderson? Do you rip Anderson publicly? And if you do, exactly what is that supposed to accomplish? My point is, it’s easy to say one liners like “Anderson is terrible.” But sitting here and complaining that it should have been Leinart doesn’t make sense. It’s not going to be Leinart, so what’s the point? Give me realistic scenarios.

41. By Chris on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I know you hate this question before I ask it, however I’m killin myself thinkin about scenarios, so here it is; Is there any scenario that would bring a proven starter (and yes I mean Vick) to Arizona? I know you hate the question but I am a die hard and the BULK of the impact players during the last few years is still in place larry, breaston, Adub, Dockett. DRC and these nice new additions Rhoades calias stephen williams we ARE STILL LOADED. Don’t you feel like with all these weapons we just HAVE to have a player that can get the best out of them. Again sorry for the question, but why is there no sense of urgency everyone is getting better the window get smaller by the year?

Thanks– PA’s biggest and brightest Cards Fan

42. By stuck in Texas on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I will just say that game was hard to wach!Next game please.
    GO CARDINALS!

43. By Justin on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Why do all you fans act like you know what Whiz is saying in private to the player in the locker room? How many coaches do you see talking bad about their player to the media? Give me a break. I guarantee you Whiz has made it perfectly clear to DA that he needs to get better. And if Whiz tells me that he believes DA will play better then I’m gonna believe him before I believe some guy named Dre or anybody else who’s a living room coach. I respect all opinions but let’s not act like we are getting the same Whiz that the locker room is getting or that the practice field is getting or that the video tape room is getting. We’ve seen this team lay many an egg before with Warner at the helm and I don’t recall alot of Whiz-bashing going on at that time. Let’s give this team a fair shake and allow a few more games before we start calling for an undrafted rookie of for Whiz to completely alter his coaching style. This fan base has gotten real spoiled real quick. Don’t jump off the ledge just yet Cards fans. We have 14 more games to play at least, including 5 more division games. We always respond well to a loss like this and I expect the same this weekend against Oakland. I expect my fellow season ticket holders to be there loud and proud and to get that place rocking for the home opener. There’s a TON of season left. Go Cards!!!!

44. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

RE: QB move

Nothing is going to happen during this season. After the season, moves are always possible.

45. By jocards on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I think Whiz is a good coach and we don’t need him to go off during his press conference. I did see some players appearing to laugh as they were leaving the field yesterday though and that didn’t sit well with me at all. Was there something funny about they way they were whipped? I can’t imagine that sort of thing sitting well with any head coach at any level.

46. By Stuart on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

1st. Dude I would never suggest Vick. 2nd, I would say if DA is still performing at the level he by the time the bye week hits, yeah go with Hall consider it a rebuilding year get a Rookie QB that looks like he is going to be a great QB in the future the Reps he needs to learn this hardknocks game. 3rd, Look I’m a big time advocate for Matt Lienart but he’s gone and I’m sure doesn’t want to come back to the Cards so I won’t ever bring in that gripe. My point in that question was even publicly yes as a Head coach in the NFL you need to critizise bad performances and put your players heads into perspective of what this game and you expect of him. Does he need to pull a Denny Green heck no, does he need to pull a Singltary heck no, but as a Head coach don’t defend horriable performances like I see him doing with DA the last two games. Let him know set up or step back. And I’ve been a fan my entire life of this team, I can handle a rebuilding season.

47. By Justin on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Everyone knew that Derek Anderson isnt going to be a guy who can take this team to the promise land, and we know that whiz never trusted leinart. So my question is why didnt we sign McNabb! or someone who could lead us to a championship!?!?

It is clear to me this team does not want to win a Super Bowl and if your not winning a super bowl you should start Hall. That way we can break him in and get a great draft pick so you will be in a position sooner then later to make a run.

The worse thing in the world is to have a team that is middle of the road. Never competing for titles, never getting those high draft picks.

48. By Stuart on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

So here is my suggestion as a realistic senerio, (and I would like to see Whiz critisize bad performances publicly) if and only if DA doesn’t step it up and prove that he legitamitly (as I always say can’t spell) beat Lienart for that starting job by the time are bye week hits, put in Max Hall give him the Reps he needs learn this game and possiably become a great QB in this League and consider it to be a rebuilding year. Would you agree thats a good realistic scenerio?

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

RE: QB scenario

I don’t see it happening by the bye week. Perhaps later. But if this team is 2-3 at the bye — which is realistic — and you see the rest of their schedule, they aren’t changing QBs. Not unless Anderson gets much worse.

50. By Eric on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

“And he insists the problems in the passing game are not even close to being only the fault of the quarterback.”

He also insisted that Leinart was the starter before the preseason started and insisted that the Cardinals hadn’t even considered cutting or trading Leinart the week before he was cut. Nothing Whisenhunt says in a press conference can be taken at face value. Anderson sucks, there’s no two ways about it. I just wish the Cardinals would’ve made a move for McNabb or SOMEONE besides DA instead of us having to deal with being the butt of the NFL again.

51. By Burlybird on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

For the record…I have us at 8-5 heading into the final 3 games. We have a tough start and finish schedule wise but we have the opportunity to pile up some W’s through the middle of the schedule. I think we can realistically pull this off with the current personnel. Stay optimistic Cards fans!

52. By Justin on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

The sad thing is that the division is so bad that 7 or 8 wins might win the division. Then you gotta think it would be 1 and out for the redbirds.

53. By RogerH on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I was not for DA starting over ML in the beginning but I appreciate Whiz’s perspective. A lot of posters on the Cards BB are lambasting DA unjustifiably when we have so many other issues to address first. I think there is a chance that DA can improve and do well enough if we get the other problems straightened out.

54. By Stuart on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I agree, if we are 2-3 by the bye week keep working with DA I’m talking more like a 1-4 situation. To Justins comment Derrick Anderson has the potential to be great and get us to the Promised Land it’s really all on him weather or not he’s going to do that. No one else.

Like I said in my original comment That Beat Down was a Team Effort. I just hope the Cardinals Players on both sides had a big time wake up call with this last game and perform the way we all as Fans and all the Coachs know we can.

55. By Brad ONeill on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

the mcnabb thing is dead there is no point in rehashing it. the opportunity was missed now we have to move on with what he have.

Maybe the guys just missed the cheerleaders that were sent to the middle east instead of working the sidelines.

56. By Steve on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

The team will be 2-3 at the bye, but most of us have said that before the ATL game.

This team is still capable of winning the divison with 9 or 10 wins.

Hall starting is a waste of a season and A-Dub, Dockett and Fitz plus many others have too much pride to give up a season.

57. By john on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Eric I couldn’t agree with you more. I remember quite a while ago a guy in one of these blogs saying Cleveland was laughing their butts off at us…wasn’t that the truth. And i keep saying why on earth would the decision makers on this team insist you can change a player that was let go because he sucked so bad except for one lucky year? And they are just going to keep saying he’s getting better until the season ends with 3 or 4 wins? So aggravating and what a wasted year. Great quarterback decision Cardinals.

58. By jocards on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

8-9 wins takes the division? If this team plays like they did on Sunday they will not beat anybody. People say we respond well to games like Sunday. Correction Kurt Warner led teams responded well. Arizona is two time division champs but those teams had Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, Hayes, etc…This team hasn’t done anything expect squeak by the Rams and if Breaston doesn’t make that strip they likely lose that game too. Things have to get a whole lot better or we’re in trouble. Let’s not kid ourselves this team is not the same one that won two division titles.

59. By Blair on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

What i dont get is why all the sudden this team seems to have a “well if it turns out how its looks like its going to we will fix it next year” attitude. If they had any thought at all that they were going to cut Leinart why didnt they look at some better qbs in the draft THIS offseason or look into some trades THIS off season. Why waste a year crossing your fingers that something will just happen?

60. By Thomas77 on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I do like how Whisenhunt keeps his cool, and doesn’t get overly emotional one way or the other. However, I do wish he’d mix it up with the ref’s on occasion. He doesn’t have to pull a Bill Cowher, but I think his players would appreciate it if he’d put his neck out there for them from time to time on close calls. Even if the call does turn out to be right after viewing the tape. I think that has a good locker room effect and can help the morale a bit at times and could go a ways with helping to stem more “Rhodes” type incidents where it was clear that Keri was frustrated with all the flying flags throughout the game.

61. By Scott H on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Can’t believe we’re still hearing about McNabb…did anyone notice that the Redskins were leading the Texans 20-7 at one point and ended up losing the game? Anyone notice McNabb playing QB for the Redskins during this game? Well, there ya have it. Move on, folks. The reasons why he isn’t in Philly anymore are the same reasons I’m NOT sorry he’s not in Arizona.

And, to anyone who is carping over the penalties during the game, WOULD YOU JUST PLEASE STOP FOR GOD’S SAKE??? I mean, did you notice the final score or are you just looking at meaningless stats??? Give me a break…The Falcons weren’t being awarded touchdowns for Cardinals penalties, were they??? Unfortunately, the Falcons’ touchdowns were being awarded by a defense that was a total no-show for this game. I’d prefer to think that they were a no-show because the other possibility is that they’re just plain lousy.

62. By Paul on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Why are we playing a quarterback that someone else didn’t want for the same reason we got rid of Lineheart. Its aperant by now how good he is, why are we not playing our rookie that did so well in preseason. I think the Wiz ought to give Max Hall the opertunity to show his stuff.

63. By jocards on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Anderson has the potential to be a great QB? Please! Anderson has the potential to be a serviceable QB. With that said I don’t think we have any choice but to stick with him for the time being. That was what Whiz had in mind when he dumped ML. There could be no discussion of a QB change unless the season was lost. Clearly you’re not going to throw an undrafted rookie in there while you’re still entertaining thoughts of winning. No, it’s Anderson and we’re all going to have to hope he improves a great deal over what we’ve seen thus far.

64. By Dre on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Re: realistic scenarios

ok with the cards we have in our hand right now…no pun intended. You run, even with hightower and you know that hurts for me to say. But when Beanie get back he needs to be the featured back with 20 or close carries per game. Screen passes to hightower or better yet to Howling. When we pass make them short, three step drops and get the ball out…quick. Make DA into a manager and emphasize no turn-overs. Fitz is a touchdown maker and you concentrate on him in the red zone if we manage to get there.

During the Rams game our first touchdown came off five or six straight runs. No matter how you shake this up its not going to be pretty. We got to establish the run to help DA with his pass percentage. Maybe one out of sixteen gamea will we win a game off DA’s arm…every dog has he’s day. We got to go to the basic with all attention on playing sound proof ball from each unit. The line is the key, we go as far as the line will take us.

At the end of the year drop DA like a bad habit and get Vick in here before the 49ers do because they are missing the same piece we are on offense….A QUARTERBACK.

65. By Thomas M STANTON on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Coach Get Komar more involved in offense. Tell linebackers to get their hands up when they blitz. Porter should have knocked down screen pass to
    Snelling on 19 yd touchdown play

66. By blake on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

MAN two games in and already a lot of mud slingin, well as bad as it was watching that game yesterday ( and i have watched a lot of them in the 40 years i have followed the Cardinals) i am not ready to throw in the towel. i remember a few years ago when Whiz took over as coach the penalties were just as bad as yesterday but they eventually did clean them up over the last two years and as far as Derek Anderson give the guy a break. nobody is going to come in here and replace a HOF’er like Kurt. We have been spoiled the last few years with having a great team and watching exciting games ( along with some big losses ) but teams can get better as the year goes on and the ones that peak at the end of the year are the exciting ones to watch as they make their push to the playoffs. GO CARDINALS !!!!
    By the way you dont need a great quarterback to win the superbowl just ask the Baltimore Ravens they won it with Trent Dilfer

67. By Former Steeler Fan on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

To paraphrase a political slogan:
    IT’S THE OFFENSIVE LINE AND THE DEFENSE, STUPID!!!

68. By RefereeStandsUpandThrowsFlagAfterFlag on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Breaston went to the sideline for a brief time, only to jump back in the game, Any word on what happenened there?
    And a few posters have inferred that Head Official Boger has a past reputation with the Cards. Any truth that you’re aware of?

69. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Blair —

RE: QBs in the draft

Umm, they drafted Skelton, who they really liked. And they signed Hall and obviously really like him.

70. By georgiebird on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

As I said a month ago. DA would not be an effective QB if the Cards defense was bad (and it seems like it is). Cardinals management is to blame for going after a stationary QB when they had reason to believe the defense would be average or worse.
    The only solution is to try to improve the defense. Work on different combinations/ different fronts-play Gabe and Branch together- give Will a chance-try to find a spark.
    Bill Davis has definitely been worse than Clancy P.; why is he still here?
    Bottom line- with the current defense- it makes no difference who the QB is.

71. By mrcardsguy on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Even tho we had so many mistakes on offence 3ints I still think our D stunk after showing up in stl the D was horrible horrible ugly I was counting on them to keep us in the game but no whiz needs to get on the Ds butt big time

72. By don on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

If we only had a quarterback. What about that bogus holding call? If there was no flag it’s 7-7 whole different ball game, but I don’t play the what if game. As long as we take care of business at home and win against either san diego or the saints so we’re 3-2 into the bye we’ll be alright.

73. By SeeingRed on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Brad O.-it does appear that teams never have a problem getting big time revenge when we managed to beat them in a previous big game..

Okay, for all the reasons/excuses given for such bad play on Sunday…how does Whiz explain the utter lack of emotion/energy/effort?? I don’t want to hear about the details of why each play didn’t work..I want to know why this team collectively seemed so unprepared. I just remember thinking how so many Cards looked like they didn’t want to be there-even before the game got out of control.

I’m watching the Niners give the Saints all they can handle, despite a bad start. I can also sense a mentally and physically tough football team. Say what u will about Singletary but despite all the controversies and the underachieving first round QB, they can pull it together and focus…that’s a product of coaching. Don’t get me wrong..in Whiz I still trust but at some point this team has to turn the corner on the JV stuff.

The Cards better wake up and stop paying lip service to their underachieving ways.

74. By Nick Pepe on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I hope I am not the only one who heard Mike Tirico say….”anything is possible, the Cardinals got to the Super Bowl out of this division”……. people constantly mocking the Cards. Show up with attitude Sunday, please. They have to do more to get respect of others….but only need to do their jobs to get respect of the “W” column.

75. By akcard on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Whiz should have kept Leinart and started him in our first 2 games, with DA and Skelton as the second and third string QBs. If Whiz was right and DA is better than Leinart, then after our first 2 games as we have now; the fans would be after Leinart’s head and Whiz could sit Leinart on the bench and eventually get rid of him.

I watched Mark Sanchez play yesterday in beating New England, and all I could think is that I know Leinart is better than Sanchez. Leinart may have been a little immature, but he balled at USC and won championships, and at 6’5″, smart, athletic, young, I still don’t know how we just gave up on him. It wasn’t like he was a bad apple on drugs like a Jamarcus Russell or a head case like Ryan Leaf. I mean Leinart had an opportunity to be the first player selected in the NFL draft but stayed in college for his senior year forgoing the money, and he pretty much kept his mouth shut and was a team player after Warner beat him out.

I have this uncomfortable feeling Leinart is going to come back, become a good player, and haunt us for years to come.

76. By CZarr on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I wasn’t saying his tepidity was a bad thing, quite the contrary.

I have a realistic scenario. If Whiz is a zombie, the solution is easy. First, we cleverly disguise ZombieWhiz as Donald Driver. This will take some time and effort, but everything on TV is true to life, so I know it can be done.

Then, preferably on your dime, we fly him to Wisconsin. At this point, ZombieWhizDriver will lure Aaron Rodgers out of public view and proceed to zombify him. Everyone knows zombies stick together, so, Rodgers will be irresistably compelled to come to Arizona. THEN, and this is where it gets complicated, we disguise Rodgers to look like Derek Anderson, and conversly, Anderson to look like Rodgers. Initially, I was going to say we should dress DA up as a cheerleader, but I just found that to be too unrealistic.

What do you think?

77. By carlo7000 on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

how is progressing from injury o’brien schofield…any chances seeing him on the field soon..i hope so beacuse this like every years our pass rushing linabackers sucks

78. By Adam on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

The biggest difference I’ve seen in how teams approach us in the post-Warner era is to constantly bring pressure. We saw it almost all pre-season (especially the Titans) and both games during the season. It makes it hard to tell if its the line that’s allowing pressure or Anderson not recognizing what’s coming. I know that Warner was one of the best ever against the blitz, but because Anderson doesn’t seem to have that innate ability to see what’s coming, what do you think the coaching staff can do to try and adjust? I know you’re not a coach, but as someone that is heavily involved in covering the game, what are some other options. Standing and taking hits while bouncing passes either in front of or off of receivers doesn’t seem to be working. Is there a screen game to be installed? Smoke routes out to Breaston and Fitz?

79. By Brad ONeill on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

you guys are way to harsh on anderson. Its not like he has zero potential think of him as a three point shooter. you get a slightly lower percentage but you get more when he hits. the guy is going to put up some points.

dont forget our number one reciever is recovering, our number 2 is good and our number 3 is out. they have an undrafted rookie filling in and a line that is very vulnerable to the blitz.

we need to work on how to handle the blitz because its fairly obvious that is what everyone is going to do to us until we figure out a way to beat it.

80. By RefereeStandsUpandThrowsFlagAfterFlag on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

The reason I asked about Head Official Boger is because he lives in Conyer, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta, works in the offseason for Allstate Insurance in Atlanta(With me as the ref, you’re in good hands,Falcons.) and was a 4 year starter at QB for Morehead State; you guessed it, based IN ATLANTA!
    MLB forbids umpires to call strikes and balls in their home cities, except special circumstances, to relieve the public of possible improprieties.
    Wouldn’t this be wise of the NFL?
    And I completely realize the officiating crew didn’t cost the game, just trying to plant the seed. Thoughts?

81. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

RefStandsUp —

RE: Breaston/Boger

I think Breaston just banged his leg but he was OK. I don’t know of anything specific, other than Boger isn’t necessarily highly regarded.

82. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

akcard —

RE: QB lineup

In that scenario , you what — cut Hall? Even if you say PS, you take the chance someone else takes him when in some ways he was the guy the coaches were highest on out of all four guys.

83. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

CZarr —

RE: GB plan

I think you’re spending much too much time thinking of such things.

84. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

carlo7000 —

RE: Schofield

Funny you should ask. I will have an OB update tomorrow.

85. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

RE: Countering blitzes

They think they have tried to address those things. But the players have to execute too.

86. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

RefSatnds —

RE: More Boger

Nah. Again, I don’t think it’s a great crew, no matter who is playing.

87. By A-Ruff on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I’m a BIG fan and I stay in ALABAMA and Boy, I hate that I actually got My first chance to go to Atlanta and see the cards in person just to get this type of performance. It sucked. So What? It’s week 2. Now, I see these comments ripping through the website: “The season’s already over, we shoulda got McNabb, Cutting Leineart (srry if I spelled it wrong) was the biggest mistake Ken made, they will never win with DA, beg Warner to come back, we shoulda kept Boldin, Dansby, and Rolle” if anybody posted anything within the quotations, YOU WOULD BE THE ONES THAT WILL LOSE EVERY GAME IF YOU WERE PLAYING ON THE TEAM! So weak minded. You’re not Arizona fans, just sum mind-controlled bums that like to whine and cry wenever something goes wrong. How do u get by in life? I speak for all the REAL az cards fans when I say, WE DON’T NEED YOU!!! So go and watch some stupid croquet or some golf or some weak sport like that…

88. By A-Ruff on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

For Darren

Okay, The offense was bad in its own right. I know for a fact that the offense is not at its full potential because it’s only week 2 of a 16 game season. Beanie Wells should be comming back 4 the next game. Derek Anderson May not be the greatest QB in the world, but don’t be so quick to crucify him so early. I noticed in the game that the play-calling was a little odd at times. I am sure that I saw a few more pass plays being called (even thought they were behing almost all game) juss like last week. Im betting that the coaching staff is trying to see early what type of throws/reads DA can make given a real game situation and gameplanning so they can quickly work out as many bugs/errors as possible. Any thoughts that this can be a strategy that Coach Whiz is trying this season?

89. By Darren Rural on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Will you ever, ever, question any move that Whisenhunt makes? If not why bother even responding to the comments? The Leinart comments are valid and will continue whether your coach likes it or not. When you cut your starting QB, who is your best option to win this year, and you replace him with quite possibly the worst starting QB in the NFL, questions will be asked and the questions SHOULD BE ASKED. Why you find it unthinkable to question the move in retrospect is completely absurd. Don’t play the “moves can be made after the season” card either. Leinart could have been released after the season so that doesn’t get you off the hook. Every move is questioned, and if it works out the moves are praised. If not, you need to face the music. Ken Whisenhunt made this bed. He needs to sleep in it. The QB was his move and he needs to own up to it. No one is expecting Anderson to be Warner because we all knew he wasn’t. We just want a QB that can manage a game and help the Cardinals win. Anderson HURTS the team plain and simple and the longer you ignore it the worse these comments look. You or Whisenhunt can deflect the blame all you want, but it will not be going away anytime soon. If anything you look hypocritical given the bashing you heaped on Leinart. As long as the team loses, the Leinart move will follow Whisenhunt. If they lost with Leinart at least he could have said he tried. And if the Texans make the playoffs and Shaub goes down, then Whisenhunt is really screwed.

90. By noize on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

TRADE for Vick!
    VIck is a good QB. DA is not.
    DA is NOT the answer.
    Simple as that.
    We should try to trade for him before the Eagles see that Kolb is not better than Vick.

91. By akcard on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren: We are talking about a QB that was undrafted, so I don’t know where all this interest would be coming from. If there was that much concern of losing Hall, don’t play him in the last pre-season game, as far as I am concerned that was the only game that Hall flashed. I was more concerned of losing Skelton, with that arm of his.

Regarding Hall being the highest out of the four by the coaches, that floors me. Hall had never played in a NFL game, and only played a few plays in pre-season; compared to a QB who has been to the Pro Bowl, another who has won the Heisman and won NFL games, and another whom we drafted in the 5th round. What could Hall do in minicamp, OTAs, or a few months of training camp that would merit those evaluations? Some players look great in practice, and don’t show up on game day; others don’t look so good in practice but play great in games. With Hall, we have an unproven commodity, so how could he jump ahead of those who have already competed and won NFL games.

We will see if the coaches were right in their evaluation of Hall. If they are right, they deserve credit for making the right decision, however if they are wrong then beware. We are talking about the QB position, the most important player on the team, responsible for possibly 75% of our offense, and the leader of our team.

92. By BluePitt on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Dre,
    “What hypocrisy going on with the head coach and some of you people, too. I know many will disagree with me but this is what I am seeing. It was like a shark feeding frenzy around here…hey, I am not the director of the Matt Leinart fan club. Like I said before I didn’t think we need Matt to win games by himself.”
    hahaha You slamed me 3weeks ago for saying what you are now saying..read the second word in your Quote!

93. By D Kerry on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

On the QB situation, Cardinal Fans have to realize that over the past 40 years there have been only three(3) QB’s that gave the Cards a winning season. Jim Hart, Neal Lomax and Kurt Warner, you can add Jake Plummer; but he was a one year only guy and was never consistent. So what makes anyone think DA is the answer given his history and past performances. Next years draft could produce some interesting QB prospects and the Cards scouts should start doing their homework early.

94. By clssylssy on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Watching the Seahawks during the first season game and watching the Cards in St. Louis was no comparison…the Seahawks won their game and we squeeked by on an oops. Going into tonights game we were tied for first in our division with the Seahawks ,although the level of playing wasn’t even in the same ballpark. After seeing the 9ers stand up and relentlessly keep coming back against the Saints,we are going to have to get our issues resolved while we still have a 2 game lead or forget winning the division. We have the talent but it seems that we lack the heart and instead have developed a pervasive feeling of apathy. I didn’t see this at training camp or even in preseason and it seems to have set in about the time of the QB controversy.
    When Leinert got kicked to the curb everybody was all high fives and whoop-de-do but maybe this had more of a demoralizing effect than expected because players realized how tentative their jobs are…whatever, get over it! The team is more than just one player and if Anderson may not be a Kurt Warner, we still have alot of talent that should be able to adjust and support the QB–get that fire and passion back and maybe hire an offensive coordinator ! I think fans feel a little ripped off paying for season tickets when the team acts like they are just going through the motions of suiting up. Funny how the Chiefs are looking alot like the Cardinal did a few years ago!

95. By AdamsFan#1 on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Is there any way Coach Whiz would run for a president anytime soon? Darren would you find out? I want to listen and watch his reaction, always, when he lost a game not necessarly when he wins. The way he reacts to a defeat, it teaches me how accept defeat and learn from it and get stronger. I am glad I am his fan. I love the way he controls his emotion, verbal and nonverbal expression. He is also honest, but smart and wise. He is a change man. As our football team’s coach we are luck, but we need a person like him who can lead our nation. By the way I would like to say Congra to Hightower for his personal accomplishment. I am glad he overcame his priveous problem. I know Hightower is a team person, but it doesn’t hurt to rebound as an individual.

96. By Eazy E on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like tirico, he’s an idiot. He seems out of place with gruden and jaworski who are good together.

97. By dan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Nice excuse for Anderson to make a horrible pass to Patrick. Warner had guys all over him yet he was accurate. Accuracy will always be DA’s problem. HE SUCKS! He throws the ball too hard when he shouldn’t, he just has no touch at all. He’s not accurate enough to be throwing rocket balls, the receivers have no time to adjust to his cannon shots….tips balls and interceptions is all he is good for. Bring in the rookie, at least he throws an accurate ball.

98. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

At this rate, the defense will have hit the wall before they reach the bye in week 6. Something needs to change quickly with San Diego and New Orleans on the schedule before the bye week. If not, our D is going to be in a world of hurt with 10 games left after the bye.

Total Plays Differential (Opponent Plays – AZ Plays)

Week 1: 81 (STL) – 64 (AZ) = –17
    Week 2: 78 (ATL) – 48 (AZ) = –30

Time of Possession Differential (Opponent TOP – AZ TOP)

Week 1: 32:51 (STL) – 27:09 (AZ) = –5:42
    Week 2: 39:13 (ATL) – 20:47 (AZ) = –18:26

Pick up your play Derek Anderson. You’re going to quickly loose the confidence of Darnell and the defense with your dismal 54% completion rate. Best to be on 9-0’s good side.

99. By georgiebird on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    A bit of history on Cardinal defenses over the past 50 years. In regard to the front 7–, only 1 Cardinal player has required the constant double and occasional triple team and that was Eric Swann in the 1980s for about a year and a half until injuries took him down. Unless a defense has a player who commands the double team, it’s tough to create.the mismatches needed.
    The Cards have picked up some players past their prime like Gastineau and Patulsky who at one time commanded two players.
    It doesn’t seem like DD is that person although he’s been a great team player.
    I may have forgotten somebody in 50 years but a check of pro bowl front seven defenders will prove my point.
    Of course, the only Cardinal offensive player to command the double and occasional triple team was the great Roy “Jet Stream” Green-the best Wide receiver I ever saw.

100. By Matt in Philly on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Whoo-boy. It may be time to lower expectations.

One big question I have is: why, if they are such uber-athletes, Billy Davis has DRC and Toler consistently line up 8-15 yards away from the receiver they’re supposed to cover? That makes it impossible for them to cover the short under routes. And if they’re such good athletes, will they really get beat if they line up right across from their assignment? They consistently get beat on those short routes, though.

101. By ChrisZ on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Next week it will be the same story “we can get better” Im already sick of hearing it. I mean was DA supposed to go out there and be anyone but DA. Its gonna be a long season, why not just put Max Hall in and let him learn. Whiz has made some bad moves its time to admit that and start looking to the future. I mean even if we win the division, realistically are we gonna make a charge through the playoffs? Just sayin.

102. By shep on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

hope leinert gets his opportunity and wisenhunt and his fav. qb anderson can ride off in the sunset together, and they get an offensive coach who knows how to work with qbs…not ride one like wisenhunt did with warner and the awesome wide receivers he inherited

103. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren what about Vincent Jackson? This is the first year since we drafted Fitz we haven’t been so Strong at WR since trading Q. I also think it cant hurt to have a big target out there for DA to throw too? an take as much pressure off Fitz as we can that will open up Fitz an Breaston at the slot! Now that would open up the Run an the TE in the Middle of the Field! Just Ask( A.Gates) how much he misses Vjac!! An we need that Deep Ball 6’5-6’6 size asap an its always Great 2 keep #11 happy an he could turn at any moment! an want to be traded to the Vikings

Whats it’s going to cost a 3rd rd pick or a 2nd rd? lets Go BIGRED

104. By Darthcard on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals have taught anything can happen good or bad. But after watching the 49ers I’d be shocked if they didn’t win the division. Darren at what point do you think we will see John Skelton ? Komar I respect but doubt he will ever truely become more than serviceable. I can’t wait to see the fans getting behind the Johnny helter Skelton fan club.

105. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren i really think if we had a Vincent Jackson on are team Kurt Warner would come out of retirement! The reason Cards were able to plug in Warner was because of are weapons Fitz Bolden Breston Urban Doucet an Hightower Wells in backfield LOL we even won games with Maatt Leinart at QB! wow we need that BIG Target 2 open it all up again!! Even with a Rookie like Max Hall can Throw it 2 Fitz Vjac Breaston Williams an hightoer an wells down there throat..p.s TE’s in the end zone waving there hand for the Ball.

106. By Gage on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

ATL is a legit playoff contender… We got work to do to be primed in time for January.. It can be agreed that Cards had a legit shot at competing for this win. penalites took us out early and fed the fans in the georgia dome and the falcons never seemed to lose momentum. whether its 33-32 or 33-0.. we lost, lets get em next week. 2-1 sounds good when 49ers are 0-2 currently

107. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

A-Ruff —

RE: DA gameplan

I think we are in the regular season and I would hope the Cards aren’t experimenting, per se.

108. By John M on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I’m still willing to give DA a few more games before I say pull the plug on him. I’m not seeing great QB play out of him obviously, however, I’m seeing an overall poor performance by the offense in general, not just Derek Anderson.

The running game has been sporadic at best. Sure the numbers are there, but that was because of ONE outstanding drive vs. the Rams on the ground, and ONE play vs. the Falcons. The rest of the time it seems like the Cards have been facing a ton of 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 9 because of failing to run the ball effectively.

Also, while not comparing Warner to Anderson, as there is no comparison, I also know that the Cardinals also made a ton of plays that HELPED Warner, where as they aren’t making them right now.

I’d love to see what Beanie Wells can bring to this team this season, as would many of you I’m sure. Darren… exactly how bad did Beanie look in warmups last week for the comments “not even close” to be uttered ?

109. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Rural —

RE: Leinart decision

So let me get this straight: You’re allowed to have your opinion and it is correct, and if I don’t agree I am wrong? It seems like, if I take up the other side of any argument, I am bashing. And if you (or any fan) bashes from your side of the argument, it’s, what … being real?

I said all along I thought Matt would start and that would have been the choice I would have made. Maybe I didn’t broadcast it under a “Whiz messes up” headline, because that’d be wrong. Matt was then cut. What’s the point of reliving it over and over and over? You don’t want me to play the “moves can be made after the season” card. Well, how about you don’t play the “Holy crap, the world is collapsing after one loss” card?

I never said Whisenhunt made the right decision or the wrong decision. I have tried to explain why he made the decision. You don’t like those reasons. Fine. You choose to disagree. Fine. Bottom line, you have no earthly idea if the Cards would have been any better offensively. In fact, it can be argued that when Matt played the few times he did last year, he didn’t produce any better than Anderson has (and OK, I will stipulate he didn’t get many chances to show it, because I know that’s what you’re going to fire back with).

If Matt comes back to play well somewhere, that would be great for him. Obviously Whisenhunt will look bad. But what if he doesn’t? Right now the facts are this: One team out of the other 31 chose to try and sign Matt when he was released. Just one. That team has installed him as the third QB (so if Schaub got hurt, Leinart isn’t playing. Not now). These are the facts. Would Matt be starting here at some point had he stayed? Maybe. But he is not.

You are frustrated. I get that. You don’t believe in Anderson. I totally get that. Anderson hasn’t played well enough to engender much belief.

Maybe I should stop responding to comments. It would certainly give me a lot more free time.

110. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

akcard —

RE: Hall and the QB

Wait … did someone just actually say “We will see …?” As in, wait to see how this plays out rather than blow up the whole team after one terrible game? Hallelujah!

111. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy —

RE: Vincent Jackson

Not going to happen, since Jackson wants a giant Fitz-like contract. Unless you are prepare to eventually let Fitz go (and let Breaston go in the short term), it couldn’t/wouldn’t happen.

112. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darthcard —

RE: Skelton

John will have to wait in line behind Hall. Hall is the guy who will get a chance if they decide to turn away from Anderson.

113. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

John M —

RE: Beanie

The “not even close” were my words, and it was based on the fact Beanie didn’t even warm up. The first time he came on the field he was in sweatpants walking, not jogging or anything. My point was the decision came before he got on the field. That’s all.

114. By Logan Cooper on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I love when you put people in there place.
    Maybe you should have a rule, if you have never seen the posters name before, you don’t answer them unless it is a good question. Otherwise ignore it.

Have you heard anything on Gerald Hayes? Is there a time line when he will be back?
    With him out it shows how important he is at stopping the run.

115. By clssylssy on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Whatever Singletary is doing to inspire his team is very effective and we need to get some of that! Can’t stand the 9ers, never have since the day of Steve Young BUT, that was a very impressive game they played against the Saints and I don’t see how anybody wouldn’t be a little worried under the best of circumstances. We need to get it together, work on a plan, be creative and light a fire in our organization!

116. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Logan —

RE: Hayes

He doesn’t seem to be close yet to practicing, but we will see.

117. By psteele on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the Cards will pursue a trade for Michael Vick? That would be a very good move IMO.

Thanks for you great reporting and hard work!

Patrick

118. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

psteele —

RE: Vick

I do not. And I don’t see any reason why the Eagles would trade him anyway.

119. By Azcardinals.comStandsUp on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Kudos to your production staff on the Wilson Legacy video.and all the the news pieces, in general. They are quite good in content and visual quality.
    Thanks, guys!

120. By Eazy E on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren, they would trade vick because his stock is sky high right now and their all in on kolb. Their gonna ride or die with him and they don’t want a divide in the locker room either. It’s already a qb controversy and it will only blow up even more from here on out because fans in philly wanna see vick now instead of kolb and some players want vick and some want kolb, can’t have a divided locker room and win alot of football games. Vick is too enticing to pass up on now, VICK!!!!

121. By aaaaudio on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

after watching the 49ers have 4 turnovers and still be “in the game” Last night. should the Cardinals be worried?

122. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

aaaudio —

RE: Niners

I think the Niners looked very good last night. And the Cardinals have not played particularly well.

123. By CZarr on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Eh, it just came out as I typed. I’m gifted like that. Maybe someone will turn it into a script someday, it would be more entertaining than Blind Side was, that’s for sure.. Then again, watching grass grow has already accomplished that feat.

124. By Robert Malicki on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

My question has to do with the disputed but successful two-point conversion of S.F.’s last score in the MNF game against the Saints. Can we compare that play with the disputed Detroit TD in Chicago against the Bears on opening weekend? If the” process” of William’s catch negated the TD, was a similar “process” in play for the conversion catch? Both plays were under automatic review because they occurred within two minutes of the game ending and both had questionable elements involving the completion of the play. The S.F. receiver caught the ball with his feet in the air and seemingly did not have both feet in the endzone when he came down and was tackled. Are different crews of officials calling the game they want to call?

125. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Robert —

RE: End zone catches

Johnson’s catch was overturned because he dropped the ball before “completing” the catch. Davis’ counted because his second foot came down when the ball was still in the end zone and when he didn’t drop it on the tackle, he “completed” the catch.

126. By Nick Pepe on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

To all: re: Michael Vick:
    This is man a who shot, electrocuted and drowned dogs while operating/funding a interstate dog fighting operation. For years! As a Cruelty Investigator and ACO for the Delaware SPCA I can say first hand that those who take the life of an animal on numerous occasions has no regard for life, human or otherwise. He lied about it, denied it, then took a plea when the FEDS were going to charge him with organized crime and he knew he was toast! ….. and he only half heartedly apologized because he got caught and the only way to make millions again was to get in football. He would still be in jail if not for taking a plea and anyone reading this would still be in jail if not for being a celebrity.
    There is something to be said about integrity and character and this team has it and it has the talent to win. I don’t think he, or any convicted felon for that matter, should be allowed to play pro sports. He is a dog killer. Plain and simple. All of you with dogs, take a good look at them. Then picture what you would do to someone who drowned or electrocuted your dog. I have been a Cards fan for 40 years. I can’t fathom him on this team and not sure I could accept it. Further, his career completion is far lower than most in the league and having a running QB is a high school / college thing and they won’t (and don’t) survive in the NFL.

127. By Nick Pepe on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

GREAT NEWS!!!: Michael Dog Killa Vick was named starter of the Eagles. That’s great on 2 parts 1) he ain’t coming here and 2) I hate the Eagles with a passion (try living around the obnoxious Eagle fans!!) so it’s a perfect fit for me

There is no need to panic in Card Country. You have to believe in the core of the team and the talent they have and the coaching staff who got us two division titles in a row. This week is a game they must win or face the nation of experts who continue to write us off. Not last week. Tough team last week, and on the road two weeks in a row……I am not hurt by the “L”. But this week is different, good teams beat the teams they are “supposed” to beat. Not play to their level. Couple that with it being the home opener and they should handle this team. I look forward to a couple Fitz TD’s and 2-1 !!
    ACO Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member. Lover of dogs

128. By psteele on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Pepe:

I agree that the man has done some TERRIBLE things. I love animals as well and own 2 dogs myself (one with a Cardinals collar on right now). However, I think it is naive to think that all of our beloved Cardinals have always had the highest itegrity in life situations and that they have never comitted a crime (without being caught) like driving home after a few drinks out. I know these pale in comparison to what you and most of our society deem sane and humane, but in some sectors of our society, and many other countries (see Mexico), animal fighting is a part of life.

I am by no means defending or justifying Vick’s actions.

At the same time, he has repayed his debt to our society (probably not yours) and has been awarded a second chance (very American).

In fact, the publicity and public horror that followed Vick probably saved many dogs lives and helped to expose the sick sub-culture of dog fighting in America.

IMO: let he who has not sinned throw the first stone.

Regarding FOOTBALL: You have to admitt that with Vick running our offense, we would be an instant SB contender in the NFC.

Either way, the point appears moot for now. However, Andy Reid did state that Kolb is STILL their franchise guy. This leads me to believe that they WILL shop Vick THIS year.

Respectfully,
    Patrick

129. By Mikey on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I think that the cards should just give Max Hall a chance to see how he does becuase so far Anderson isn’t helping us out much.

130. By Former Steeler Fan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Some thoughts:

With our terrible O-Line, Whiz could line up Sayers, Jim Brown and Sweetness and they wouldn’t gain 100 yards in a game. Ergo, it doesn’t make any difference if Beanie plays this week or any other week, the running game is toast.

I changed from being a Steeler fan to a Cardinals fan when I thought that Whiz was unfairly passed over for the head coaching job. I know. I know. Tomlin hadn’t interviewed yet when Whiz took the Cards job. But, I believe that Whiz saw that Dan Rooney would play the “Rooney Rule” card and Whiz would have lost the Cards job offer.

However, I’m beginning to doubt Whiz’s decisions e.g personnel drafts (Davis, Brown, Highsmith, Keith, Roberts and yes, Skelton e.g. if Hall is so good, why didn’t he draft him instead of Skelton?), his (almost obsessive”) preoccupation with acquiring AFC Central (especially Steeler) players (some, who are over-the-hill e.g. Faneca and Porter) and of course Matt Leinart.

For those of you who think that the Cards have any chance to beat the Saints or Bolts, you should say some Novenas!!!

131. By Judy on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Dre: I don’t believe the Bidwill family will ever even consider bringing Vick here.If they were to do that i bet half ot the STH’s like myself would never go to another game,or support the team in any way.I would never support a team that would have that animal murdering rat on it.BTW i don’t think the 49ers need a QB right now Alex Smith seems to be doing well.
    Darren You said that there would probably be no change at QB if D.A. did not get a lot worse.Well i ask you,how much worse can he get?

132. By Eazy E on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Nick Pepe-
    It was vick’s house and he funded it but others killed the dogs. The man was in jail for 21 months in leavenworth prison and got suspended for 4 games by goodell after that. He apologized and did everything he could for the dog groups in philly. You and anybody else needs to forgive the man and move on with your life. He’s been a great role model in philly and overall. He is a great talent and I wouldlove him in the red and white PERIOD!!!!!!

133. By Eazy E on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I meant to space would and love

134. By Eazy E on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

He’s done alot for dog groups around america and the world. He’s acknowledged the wrong he’s done, but no one’s perfect, we’ve all made mistakes.

135. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Easy E —

RE: Vick

I thought it came out in the legal proceedings Vick actually did put down some of the dogs.

136. By Eazy E on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

My bad, he said he put down 6-8 dogs.

137. By Nick Pepe on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

@ eazy e: you need to get your facts straight. He admitted he killed dogs, pleaded to lesser charges (rackateering was dropped) and only did 18 months. Any other person not of celebrity status would have done 10 years plus. Further, I am in the philly “area” and only one organization took money from him. Dog killer, defenseless animal. It doesn’t get much lower. And I would love to of any convicted felon that ever wore a Cards uniform? This is not a DUI…it’s a heinous act that to many is unforgiveable. Subjects old, your argument pointless and you should go buy an eagles jersey.

138. By Eazy E on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Nick Pepe-
    Are your eyes ok? My post above yours say that he said he downed 6-8 dogs and you and I were wrong, he didn’t serve 18 months or 21, he served 20 months. Also I am sure he helped way more than one organization in philly and around the world about dog fighting. I don’t know about you but vick is better than our qbs that we have now and I like DA, but if you give me a chance to get vick or our qbs, VICK ALL DAY.

139. By Justin on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

You know what bothers me about this years Cardinals? It is the fact that should DA continue his abysmal play, we don’t have anyone capable of replacing him. I know that this is beating a dead horse but, in my opinion Leinart clearly outplayed DA in the preseason. Rather than go into the season to see what we actually had in our former top ten draft pick, he was left out to dry and replaced by a qb in DA that has proven in the past that he doesn’t have what it takes. And now, our back up is an undrafter rookie who looked good against 3rd and 4th string defenses in the preseason.
    Darren, do you think the Cards are going to entertain possible trades for a qb, for instance Kolb from Philly? I know that it would be difficult to plug a new qb into a backup and/or starting role mid season, but, it would certainly make this season ticket holder a lot happier than our current situation?

140. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

RE: Trade

Kolb isn’t getting traded.

2. Sep 21, 2010: Sports Review