Schofield thinks he’ll play UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on September 21, 2010 – 1:46 pm

O’Brien Schofield almost sounded, well, giddy.

“Oh, I’m playing,” the rookie linebacker said without hesitation.

Not yet, of course. Schofield, who blew out his knee in Senior Bowl workouts in January, is on the reserve/non-football injury list (and of course it was football, but it wasn’t NFL football – hence the list). That, like the PUP list, means Schofield can’t play the first six weeks of the regular season and has until nine weeks to figure out if he moves on to the active roster or to injured reserve.

Ask Schofield, and it’s not even a question.

“If I’m feeling 90-plus percent, I’m playing,” Schofield insisted. “I know they’re not going to throw me in the fire. I’m probably going to play special teams but once I get that game flow back, I’ll be ready to go.”

Schofield, whose surgery will be eight months past later this week, has gotten fitted for his knee brace and has already been doing some change of direction in side workouts. “I have already been going about 70 percent, so we’re going to bump that up,” Schofield said. “The doctors said my knee was great and on schedule for the comeback. It’s just a question of how I feel once I am able to start practicing, so I am very excited.”

The news, in fact, has served as motivation, with Schofield so close to a comeback. Then again, it is no lock the Cards put him on the active roster. Schofield is still too far out from playing to have a serious what-happens-now conversation with the coaches, who have told him when he returns, he’d better know the playbook.

“The only thing that’ll probably stop me from playing is not knowing what I am doing,” Schofield said. “I’ve been studying crazy with it. I’m just trying to get back into football mode because it’s been eight months since I wore a pair of cleats. Those three weeks of practice (I will get) will be very important for me. I have to take practice like it is camp for me and beat my body up a little bit so I am ready to go.”

UPDATE/CLARIFICATION: Here are the NFI/PUP rules, which are a little more complex than I first noted: “The Club has from the day after the 6th week until the day after the 9th week to begin a 21-day practice period for a player on either list.  The Club then must decide prior to the expiration of that 21-day period whether or not to place the player on the Active/Inactive 53-man roster or keep him on PUP or NFI for the rest of the season.”  Conceivably, a team could begin that 21-day practice period on the day after the 9th week thus delaying your roster decision until the day after week 12. That could/would buy more time for Schofield to rehab.

The same rules apply for LB Gerald Hayes.

Tags: ,

47 Responses to “Schofield thinks he’ll play UPDATE”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Great to hear this!

Hope he can get some game action late in the season so the coaches have a better idea of what to expect from O’Brien (when the games count) heading into the offseason (not that I’m looking forward to it already, but might be soon ;))

2. By CardinalSwagger on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

So no chance of Schofield playing till the 9th week?

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

CardinalSwagger —

RE: Schofield

No, he is eligible after sitting out six weeks. The Cards must activate him or IR him after nine weeks, though.

4. By CardinalSwagger on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Hah, hopefully he gets to play this year.

Thanks for the clarification.

5. By Dre on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update…I liked this pick because if healthy he would of definitely went higher then the 4th round and I like the combine comments on this guy especially “Plays with a mean streak and gives knock-out shots when he tackles.” but we will see about that when he gets his chance.

We need our defense to be a lot more aggressive as a unit. We have a bunch of good and great players who make a bunch of great individual plays but I think they need to play as one unit. When you watch some of the really great defenses around the league, you see aggressive gang tackling. You might have 4 or 5 guys bringing down a back instead of one player beating his block and makings a tackle in the back field. The defense corrdinators needs to turn up the volume and bring the killer out of these guys…play with attitude and intimidate the other teams offense.

6. By Riggs2136 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Can HE play Quarterback?

7. By itsjustmeagain on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

thats what i am saying riggs put him under center

8. By Boondock on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Urb,

I know you are going to cringe if you read this…but how about a trade for Kolb now that Vick is starting? I know a mid-season QB trade rarely happens because the new QB would have to learn the entire offense, but Kolb is young and has some talent and he is making too much to be a backup…just tossing out the idea given our current (and awful) QB situation.

-CB

9. By Jesse Robles on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I just hope he can play, by the looks of it he had potential before his injury. If so this draft has been a plus on the defensive side. It is WAY early but we should be getting some FB and TE next draft hopefully!! FIRST HOME GAME!! LETS GO CARDS!! 1 WEEK at a TIME BABY!! Tied for FIRST!!

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Boondock —

RE: Kolb

I am speechless.

(The Eagles won’t be trading Kolb right now. No way. Vick is an FA, and Reid said Kolb still can be a “franchise” QB.)

11. By Steve on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Great news on Schofield, would love to see him develop into a double-digit sack artist in time. Thanks for dealing with all our whining about the Cards QB picture, we all got spoiled the last couple of seasons watching Warner play at such an elite level that it’s now hard to accept anything less from our current QB’s.

12. By UltimateCard on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Has Anderson been benched yet?

13. By Darthcard on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I’m pulling for him. Sometimes you don’t know what you lost until you lose it. This can be a gem. And man do we need it….badly.

14. By Duece on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line!!!

15. By bish- illinois on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

got a bad feeling obviously, im from illinois ive been a die hard cards fan when they were in st.louis and stayed a die hard when they flew the coup and went to the AZ. i was in the front row when we beat donovans ass and went to the superbowl and i was there last year again in the front row when we sent aaron rodgers packin, my cousins flew here from glendale 2 weeks ago and luckily as bad ass it pains me barely pulled out the W, thanks to stevie breston chase that fathead lineman down at the goal line, I GUESS WHAT IM TRYIN TO SAY IS MAKE SURE NOBODY VOTES FOR WARNER TONITE , MAYBE HE’LL GET KICKED OFF OF DANCIN WITH THE STARS AND COME AND SAVE THIS MESS LOL

16. By Big Red on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Just have Schofield ready when we play the wimps from dallas.

17. By Cali Mark on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey this is off topic but can anyone help me. Going to this weekends game with an RV can I park in the blue lot in which i have a parking pass.. Thank you

18. By Joe daddy on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey d you think Gabe watson will be active against oakland? Hopefully, especially after that perfromance from the dline.

19. By Mancosman on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren: I saw Scholfield in action in college, his abilities were noticably above players around him. I thought whatever NFL picks Scholfield up, will be pleased. I am anxious to see him play at the NFL level. It will be a steep learning curve in mid-season from readin a playbook to implementing the playbook. Above all, Scholfield played to make impact plays not just being another player on the field.

20. By carlo7000 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

darren
    sorry about my question,but in the status he is now(Reserve/Non Football Related Injury)he can have practice with the team or he can have just individual workout

21. By carlo7000 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

darren
    after the injury at combine is weight was 221..when he come here for the first camp the weight was 231..now after 3 months of work do you know if he add some lb.

22. By TucsonTim on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

By the time he’s eligible the Steelers/Browns/dolphins cast offs will probably be coming to the games using walkers…good chance he can beat them out of a starting position.

Bish- forget about KW. Week one Atlanta scores 9 points. Week two: 3rd string RB and Atlanta score 41, could have easily been more. Tell me how KW is going to fix that. You goin to put him in at outside LB and play him both ways….well I agree he probably could do a better job than anyone else we have.

Darren, you’re a football guy in the know. Didn’t anybody think for a second that Parcells is a pretty smart guy and he certainly knows about LB’s and maybe Porter really doesn’t have it any more.

23. By TucsonTim on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Oh BTW, Darren

You still want to ask me if the Eagles were stupid to trade McNabb. I still stand by my answer which was absoutely. What a laugher…for McNabb that is. Can’t wait to read the Philly headlines…I give them about 3 weeks, maybe less

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Joe daddy —

RE: Watson

Don’t know yet. We haven’t started practice yet this week.

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Schofield practice

He can begin practicing with the team whenever he is ready.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Schofield weight

Yes. I believe he is in the 240s.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Porter

Yes, that is true. Maybe Porter doesn’t have it anymore.

28. By Tinted Face Shield on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I hope he is better than Cody Brown

29. By BluePitt on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

@ TucsonTim-
    hahaha!!! Have you not been watching the past 4yrs or so? KW would have goten our D off the turf, put up pionts (wearing out ATL’s D)most of all… Blitz KW and PAY! Blitz DA and GET PAID! … DUH!!!

30. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

O’Brien Schofield is a Monster hope he gets back 2 senior bowl form when he was the mvp of the game an a Top 20 pick! Cards Drafted great this year! an got a steal of the Draft 3 times D.williams, D.washington an Schofield Lets go Bigred

31. By Greg on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren I have a question that has nothing to do with this so Kevin Kolb is now phillys back up but we all know he has the dynamics to be a great quarterback now if DA doesnt step up and bring his completion percentage up is there any possibility that Big Red could go after Kolb before week 6

32. By Greg on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

looks like someone already asked that

33. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the Update Darren sorry Don’t have a Philly QB Question for u!

34. By carlo7000 on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

we listen what schofield thinks about his recovering but what the coaching and medical staff say about his chanches to play this season????

35. By TucsonTim on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Blue –

There’s another way for the D to get off the field…make a stop.

36. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Ok Darren since everyone says trade for a QB How about? Kerry Collins? Tarvaris Jackson? Jason Campbell? Kellen Clemens. Just throwing them out there? Or do u think Wiz will go back to the Steelers well for Charlie Batch??? At this point i think we need to do something? But What? We need a gift from god! (LOL) Hope the Cards are Loading up the Armor Truck full of Cash Now an going Dancing With The Stars!! P.s Kurt don’t get hurt we need u back.. Wonder how Kurt feels watching his team an his teammates getting killed out there without him????

37. By Eazy E on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Kolb Next question Vick is a better answer by far than him.

38. By FytinIrish on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Seriously? Kolb is everyone’s answer for QB? DA has been on his back/running for his life every game. OLine is the problem, and I’m starting to lose faith in Russ Grimm as our Oline coach. Either that, or he isn’t giving them enough attention. Kolb on this Cardinals team would lead to more concussions in a season than Steve Young’s entire career.

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Schofield

The medical staff thinks he’ll be able to play. The coaching staff isn’t going to have that determined yet.

40. By A-Ruff on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Shoutouts to TucsonTim, Steve, and Deuce!

Nice to know that there is people seeing what the real problem is. If our D can’t stop anybody from scoring giving yards on penalties, our o-line can’t pass block good enough, or create strong running lanes on obvious running downs, then it wouldn’t matter who’s the QB. It can be Peyton Manning! Can’t win a Superbowl like thatNow we all have to see if the cards D and O-Line can step up in the next following weeks (especially against SD and NO) And not make it so hard for DA (first year with the team; alot of people forget that) to get in a groove and get this season rolling on the right track!

So sad to see that DA is taking more hits from his OWN TEAMS FANS than he would probably ever get from the other teams defense’s this year…

41. By Dan Crowell on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I hated Anderson when he was with Cleveland and I hate him more now. He just looks clueless out there. You can blame the O line but Kurt played with the same line minus Wells. There were other teams that benched their starter last weekend like the Titans and the Raiders. Darren, don’t you think the Cards should have put Max in for the second half? The game was already out of reach, he could have gotten good game experience, and we all know Anderson is going to go down soon with as many shots as he’s taking. Just don’t understand what Whiz is thinking. It seems he’s already giving up on the season.Bring back Jake the snake!

42. By Big Red on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Very simple if the offense can’t move, then the defense plays most of the game. WHICH MEANS THEY GET TIRED. So, wake up offense and start moving the ball and all of us will be happy again. That will make our tail-gating alot happier. Go CARDINALS WE BELIEVE!!!!

43. By joe on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Wether it is Oline or the QB somthing has to give. We got lucky against a rookie qb in week one and absolutly pounded by an average team in week two. With bruce at qb i think th eraiders are as dangerous as ever. Seattle looks better the niners barley lost to the SB champs if we are gonna win this division this year time to stop coming up with excuses and offer some solutions.

44. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Hall

No, I don’t.

45. By Boondock on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Kolb/Defense

FytinIrish: Kolb would at least give us some hope for the future at QB (although I’m sure he isn’t getting traded here). Yeah, the O-Line has looked like crap but part of that is because everyone is blitzing us constantly because our QB cannot make them pay by making short, accurate passes on quick slants and outs. You can blame the line for part or it, but no O-line is going to hold up when they have teams blitzing them all game and they are just flat outnumbered.

Same thing for the defense, they looked putrid as well last game…but you have to realize with all the 3 and outs (what were we 0-8 or 1-9 or something on 3rd down?) they are on the field WAY too much and they get worn down.

Not saying Kolb would solve all these problems, but it’s not going to get any better unless Anderson makes them pay for blitzing (a la the way Warner did).

2. Sep 21, 2010: O’Brien Schofield (knee) still hoping to play in 2010 | Fantasy Demon
  3. Sep 21, 2010: O’Brien Schofield (knee) still hoping to play in 2010 » Feed Me Fantasy