• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

A little of this, little of that

Posted by Darren Urban on September 22, 2010 – 10:07 am

Stuff I wanted to touch on:

– Kent Somers has a good breakdown on the Cards’ QB situation and how the Cards got here. Couldn’t have reconstructed the timeline any better myself. You can argue the decisions — and we all know many of you already have with me — but this is how it happened.

– On his conference call this morning, Raiders coach Tom Cable wouldn’t say who his starting QB will be Sunday against the Cards. He didn’t even want to talk about quarterback changes in general.

– If you haven’t had a chance, part two of the Adrian Wilson video has been posted about Wilson and his legacy. (And part one is here, if you haven’t seen it).

– Because of the break in temperatures, practice for the week will be at the team facility rather than any at ASU’s practice bubble.

– If you are looking for a way to interact with the Cardinals’ coaches and players — and bowl a little too — you can attend the Kingpin Challenge Oct. 12, with all proceeds going to Cardinals Charities. For details, click here.

Tags: ,

41 Responses to “A little of this, little of that”

1. By MikeG on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,–I expect the Cardinals to play well this
    Sunday in their home opener against the Raiders. In the past they have responded well to big defeats. Splitting the first two games on the road is what I expected. This team is a work in progress and hopefully they will improve as the year goes on. At least the Cards have not had any big injuries so far.
    As long as the Cards win those division games–they will be there at the end. Do you think it is possible the winner of the NFC West could have a record of
    8-8???

2. By Paul on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Well, it was just as I had thought. Quote from Somers article.
    “In the meantime, the Eagles had let it be known that Donovan McNabb could be had in a trade. But the Cardinals only BRIEFLY discussed the possibility before DISMISSING it. McNabb never was a serious option and ended up with the Redskins”
    We were told at the time that the Cardinals wanted to see what Matt could do before his contract ballooned next year. I’m paraphrasing of course.
    I think this article was a nice way of saying. Cards, you made your bed, now sleep in it.

3. By Lonnie on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I think the coach totally busted the Leinart cut!! He just needs some time to build the timing and TRUST in his team and COACHES. its hard to play looking to the sidelines after every pass. They wanted him to not throw ints so he went 19 of 23 or so in preseason and NO INT’S. Matt has the ability, just no support from the staff. He is not a ra ra qb, but a quiet leader. But I guess that DA is so much better that second worst team in football cut him. Way to go Whiz.

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: NFC West winner

Anything is possible.

5. By MikeG on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals will live and die with Anderson this year. All fans want another QB but that won’t happen.
    As long as Anderson improves throughout the year, the Cards coaching staff will be happy. You just can’t be a great Qb right off the bat. Fans are not being realistic. The Cards coaching staff does not even know this team’s identity yet. Hopefully that will happen by the mid-point of the season. We need to get Beanie in their this week–he could give us an emotional lift in our home opener!!!!

6. By Casey on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Related to Kent’s article this morning, I seem to recall that during the offseason, you at least a few times quickly dismissed suggestions from fans that the Cardinals should try to make trades for Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb. Through 2 games, are you surprised to see how well these QBs are performing?

Vick is 37 of 58 for 459 yards (63.8%) with 0 INTs vs. 3 TD’s for a QB rating of 105.5.

McNabb is 43 of 70 (61.4%) for 597 yards, 0 INTs vs. 1 TD for a QB rating of 93.6.

Meanwhile, Derek Anderson is 39 of 72 (54.2%) with 2 INTs vs. 1 TD for a QB rating of 66.8.

Reid called Vick one of the best QBs in the League right now. Does Andy Reid not have any credibility with you?

So why is this relevant given that Vick and McNabb are basically “water under the bridge” right now? Because I see a similar attitude from you when fans are now suggesting the Cardinals pursue Kevin Kolb- you seem to just dismiss that as a ludicrous idea. Really? The Browns have reportedly already inquired and been denied, yet when asked if Kevin Kolb would still be on the Eagles’ roster after the trade deadline on October 19th, Andy Reid replied that he didn’t know.

My question is simply this: when you immediately discredit fans’ suggestions for QBs this team should be considering, are you expressing your own opinion or do you think you are reflecting the organization’s view? Because to be honest, through 2 games, it sure looks like you shouldn’t have been so hasty to assume that either McNabb or Vick wouldn’t have been HUGE upgrades over Leinart and Anderson (and hence worth trading for).

And yes, I realize these guys wouldn’t have come free in a trade (we all know that), but when a guy like Anquan Boldin can be had for 3rd and 4th Round picks, what do you really think the Cardinals would have needed to send to either of those teams to get McNabb or Vick? A 3rd Round Pick? A 2nd & a 3rd? Boldin straight up? Because based on the Cardinals’ success in drafting Andre Roberts in the 3rd Round this year and Cody Brown and Alan Branch in the 2nd Round the past few years, I sure would have been willing to give up complete unknowns with those picks to get proven players in McNabb and Vick.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 and we are only 2 games into the season. But this is relevant because Kevin Kolb may now be available for the right price. The Cardinals weren’t successful in landing a similar profile player in Charlie Whitehurst (in terms of both being young players without starting experience, but generally viewed by the league as being starting quality)- with both you and Kent acknowledging that Whitehurst (and perhaps even Bulger)- was a higher priority to the Cardinals than Anderson.

So what is your view of Kolb? He was selected with the 36 pick in 2007 by Philadelphia and apparently had shown enough to cause Philidelphia to believe they could move forward without McNabb. Again, does Andy Reid not have any credibility in your opinion in terms of being able to evaluate QB’s? Is Kolb worth a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick in the 2011 draft to you if you are in the Cardinals’ position?

Or is the organization still in “money saving” mode and not willing to spend any more money than what they are spending on an undrafted QB and a 5th Round QB to bring someone in to legitimately compete with Anderson (and provide a viable backup option)?

Kent points out that there were still those within the organization that wanted Marc Bulger even after Anderson had been signed. So if Whisenhunt was able to decide after 2 preseason games and only a handful of snaps that Leinart wasn’t his guy (implying that he clearly already knew Leinart wasn’t his guy back in the offseason), the fact that the Cardinals didn’t sign Bulger means that the organization didn’t want to spend $3 Million to bring in a legitimate QB to compete with and push Anderson.

I’m just trying to gain some clarity here because on Friday I will be boarding a flight to come to Phoenix from LA to watch the Cardinals-Raiders game as a Cardinals fan in my $150 seat. I continue to commit disposable income to this organization like many fans do and I’d just like additional clarity as to exactly how these decisions are being made right now (e.g., not trading for McNabb, not trading for Vick, not signing Bulger, potentially not pursuing Kolb right now).

Thanks,
    Casey

7. By Ross on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Any Beanie news yet? What is your guess as to his status for sunday?

8. By K-DUB on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Has Beanie’s performance in practice improve today, or will he be game day decision again?

9. By mike white on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Stupid question, is the game on t.v. this weekend / did it sell out?
    Thanks

10. By dwashington4pres on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been impressed with Whisenhunt and his decisions until this QB situation. Why would you not at least start the season with Matt and if he faltered, you could go to DA and still have Matt as a backup? I would think that Mike Holmgren knows a thing or two about talent, and he let DA go without even having an alternative. But local Kool Aid drinking media wants us to forget that and just believe. Well, no matter how much you wish it, there is no Santa, and even Whis can make a mistake.

11. By Bert on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Any word on Beanie? Did he practice today?
    Thanks, keep up the good work!

12. By BigBird on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Any word on a sellout for this game? I can’t imagine anyone paying good money to see these two teams bumbling around for 60 minutes.

13. By Mr. Know It All on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Ok this year is going to be really tough. I don’t want to sound like I have given up on the Cards but it is pure comedy to watch this team on Offense. The O-Line has got to get the job done. Cards fans would love to have future HOF QB K Warner back and it makes you wonder if the changes on the O-Line would have happened had he stayed. But Kurt is gone and with this QB Duh-Wreck Anderson and poor pass blocking it could easily fall apart. Yes I was trying to look at the bright side but doom and gloom are on the horizon if this ship does not get back on course. Poor QB Max Hall he came in the debacle at Atlanta for what “to see how he would respond”. He quickly threw a pick and that did not help his confidence it reminds me of when ex QB Matt L would be thrown in there after Kurt was having a bad day, what is the motivation. No QB wants to go out there and take a beating from the defenders but that is what the Cards QB has to deal with till the O-Line can get there ish together. I saw photos of the Cards practicing at Georgia Tech outside in the 90+ degrees with 90pct humidity and I promise that will zap some energy. Some of the players probably partied the night before the game, Atlanta is a “Chocolate City” some of you will no what I mean by that. No need to panic because the NFC WEST is still there for the 3peat but going far in the playoffs won’t happen if the offense does not step up. Back for the 1st Home game at UofP stadium will get the Cards pumped up again with the crowd noise but it is a must win. A loss could deflate any hopes because the schedule shows 2 sure fire opponents in San Diego and New Orleans up next and a 1 and 3 record makes it a up hill battle. My concern is fans not buying tickets and thus the possibility of having some future games not televised here in AZ. HC Whiz has shown he has a plan and we hope this one works out if not don’t be surprised if WR L Fitz finds a way out of town if the Cards can’t get the ball in his hands. Make no mistake, WR L Fitz will not sign any future new deal with this mess going on.

14. By 949cardsfan on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren I haven’t been able to bring up the website on my home desktop or at work in over a week? Is it just me?

15. By rob on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I love Whiz but he mess this one up

16. By chad d on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

darren, just saw on espn kevin kolb is being shopped around, or at least the eagles are recieving calls about him sinc vick is now the starter. is there any chance at all the cards go after him? please say maybe at least! the no thing gets me. cut da, and get kolb!

17. By TUCARDS00 on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I read the article. Sounds like alot of excuses. I agree with MikeG. “You mad your bed, now sleep in it.”
    If being married sometimes leads to marital counsiling, is there such thing as Cardinal fan counsiling? For better or worse! I will stick by them.

18. By TBru on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

ESPN reporting teams inquiring about Kolb, any idea if the Cards are one of those teams?

19. By Dre on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

I read the article and I agree with everything said. But I would like to take it a little further…I would like to go to the beginning and really explain what happened. I couldn’t help to notice the first thing that was done in February was to extend Graves and Whisenhut’s contracts. It is reported that Whisenhut is one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL due to this new deal.

A week later they cut Rolles because they didn’t want to pay him his bonus and salary but expected to re-sign the guy. A day later they trade Anquan Boldin because they didn’t want to pay him. A day later Dansby signs with Miami…this is were everything started to get messy.

Kurt Warner announced his retirement at the end of January. They sign DA in Mid-March to a two year deal totaling about 10 million all together and cut Leinart the first week of September…and last but not least named a undrafted rookie as back-up and a 5th round rookie as the third quarterback.

All this by one of the highest paid coaches in the league. It took them over seven and a half month to present us with a career 53 percent passer and two rookies, one being undrafted….you can honestly decribe this as a walt disney production going into the season on hopes and dreams.

Whisenhut is slick, he used D. Green passing game and made a few minor adjustment and filled is pockets up to the top. We are still at the bottom of the league in the run game and for the first time since ’05 we are not in the top ten in the passing game, last season we finished 12th.

2003 drafted Anquan Boldin (pro bowl as Rookie 101 catches w/1377 yds)
    2004 drafted Larry Fitzgerald …………………………….(58 catched w/780 yd)

Az. Passing game placement in the league
    2003…..#23
    2004…..#24 (Q out for the season)
    2005…..#1
    2006…..#10
    2007…..#5
    2008…..#2
    2009…..#12

we survived the 2009 mini firesale after the superbowl (maybe that’s why we slipped to #12 in the passing game) and have a chance to survive the 2010 exodus but to be honest there is no telling whats going to happen this season.

20. By joe67 on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Its a long long season. And two games does not make it. We all knew it would be (in all probablility) a slow start. Just like we pretty much knew no matter who was qb, it was somewhat a gamble. Even if it had been McNabb. We don’t know or see near what the coaches do. Kurt was written off and not a real popular choice here by a lot of fans, right at first, or did everyone forget that. Lets not forget he had some really mediocer games, at best, also. Give the team some time to mesh. There are several good teams 0-2, 1-1

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Casey –

RE: QB trades

Fair questions. Vick totally surprises me that he is playing this well. I did not think he had it in him anymore. And given his baggage, he was never an option. I’ve never been sold on McNabb, and he has long played in a system much more West Coast than what Whisenhunt runs. They didn’t see him as a fit, especially for the price (not just picks but the contract that would go with it to keep him past this season). Also on Reid — You can’t have it both ways. Reid thought McNabb was done enough to not only trade him, but deal him in the division. So either Reid doesn’t know what he was doing with McNabb, and by extension, Kolb, or he was right on McNabb and is now realizing his error with Kolb. Either way, it doesn’t exactly endorse Kolb.

I, for the record, never understood the Whitehurst interest either.

As for Kolb, I think he played well in a couple game last year against not so great teams. I think he showed so much this year that Reid is willing to bench him already.

My opinion doesn’t matter here, to begin with. Let me ask this — what if, as scouts, they like Hall better than Kolb (I don’t know this one way or the other). Why does the lack of trying to trade for Kolb mean they are being cheap? I don’t know what Kolb brings. Should they look at the possibility? Well, if they think Kolb could fit, then I guess they could. (I have never dismissed Kolb, other than the fact that I would be shocked the Eagles would trade Kolb already).

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Blackout

That is announced Thursday — sellout or blackout.

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

dwashington –

RE: Whiz/Holmgren

Holmgren also signed Jake Delhomme to be his starter this season.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

949cards –

RE: website issues

Nothing has changed on my end.

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Chad D-

RE: Kolb

I have no doubt the Eagles will get calls. I do doubt they will trade him.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Everyone –

RE: Kolb

I do not know if the Cards are one of the teams looking at him.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

RE: the coach

Seriously, are you spelling Whisenhunt’s name wrong to be a jerk, or are you not paying attention?

28. By Dre on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Re: Whisenhut (lol)

Ok I will spell his name correctly….Whisenhunt. Wasn’t trying to hurt anyones feeling. I going to assume since that’s the only comment made, I am close with some of my assessments.

You get want you pay for right.

29. By Scott H on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

MikeG-

While I don’t disagree with you, I don’t think the Chiefs or the Buccaneers really know who they are yet, either…but they’re both 2-0 and gaining some confidence in themselves. I really don’t want to hear that the coaches really don’t know who this team is yet. If that is true, then the coaches have not done a good job since the end of last season. I don’t expect the coaches to come out and say it but my fear is that maybe we DO know who this team is at this point…and it just ain’t that good. Believe me, I DO NOT want to be right about this! I’d be happy to see them dig in, start tearing off wins, and to admit that I was dead wrong after two weeks. But…until I see some signs of life and some signs of the team that’s won two straight division titles…not happening.

30. By TBru on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

“RE: Kolb

I do not know if the Cards are one of the teams looking at him.”

Can you hold a glass to your ear against Mr Graves door when he is on the phone?

yes that was sarcasm

31. By akcard on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Where has Rod Graves been during all this QB issue? Isn’t he in charge of player personnel. Seems like he is letting Whiz take all the flak.

32. By dwashington4pres on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Touché! But Delhomme had been successful over more than (the majority of) one season. He’s been to a sSuperbowl, and I think he was hoping for a Kurt Warner-like resurgence. Either way he would be a good veteran presence for Colt McCoy.

33. By Darren Urban on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

akcard –

RE: Graves

Not sure why it matters. You are assuming there should be flak to take.

34. By Mr. Know It All on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

No matter who is at QB if the O-Line can’t pick up the blocks it’s looking up at the sky all day as the QB gets back to his feet. Future HOF QB Kurt W. may have seen the writing on the wall and got out in time to “walk” away from the game.

35. By akcard on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Graves is head of player personnel meaning he is responsible for the 3 QBs we have on our team presently. There is only so much Whiz can do to “coach up” the players, if they are not talented enough, all the coaching in the world isn’t going to bring them up to par. And if the QBs aren’t good enough, it is Graves responsibility to go out and bring in the players that are good enough.

We got a gift win from the Rams, got clobbered by the Falcons, and so yes it matters.

36. By UltimateCard on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is getting flak, maybe not from you, but you work for the team. Wait until the boo birds reign down on Whiz and his boy De-wreck this weekend.

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

UltimateCard –

RE: Flak

Oh, I am very aware Whiz is getting flak. I didn’t say he wasn’t. I asked the question whether he should be getting it. I’m fairly certain I know where you stand.

38. By clssylssy on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

As you have pointed out previously, Mr. Bidwell doesn’t have the same big pockets as other owners around the league. Has anybody thought of ways to infuse some cash into this organization? Would it be totally unthinkable to make this a publically owned franchise, even partially, where fans could be shareholders and Bidwell could even own controlling interest? Other teams have done this. Miami has some big name celebrities owning share of the Dolphins and Green Bay has fan share holders. I would think there is enough celebrity fire power alone around the valley to contribute alot in the way of financing player salaries, entertainment, and great marketing. As long as we don’t have the $$$$ to run with the big dogs we are doomed to making ends meet with what we can scrounge while our best talent walks out the door and game planning is economically driven. Just a wild thought.

39. By 949cardsfan on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Accountability!just because Whiz came in here and had success with another regimes players doesn’t make him the mesiah. If we go 6-10 Whiz or Graves needs to be held accountable.does anyone know why coach Grimm gets so much credit for being a great line coach? This year we look like a JC line and ever sinse he’s been here we are at the bottom of rushing stats. Just because ur a hof blocker doeant mean u can coach it.

40. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

949 –

RE: Accountability

I have no problem with the premise that if this team goes 6-10 Whiz and Graves need to be accountable.

But how about we wait to see if they go 6-10 first?

41. By John on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I hate to be so dramatic but this week is do or die for Anderson. If he can’t show what’s he’s got against Oakland then we can all be sure that he is not the future of this team. I’m not saying Hall or Skelton will be any better, but if Anderson doesn’t show up against Oakland, then I believe we’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.