• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Fitz: Kurt has moved on

Posted by Darren Urban on September 23, 2010 – 9:39 pm

It’s not exactly “Larry Bird is not walking through that door.”

But Larry Fitzgerald understands (as should everyone, frankly) Kurt Warner is a future Hall of Famer who isn’t playing football anymore. And obviously, it affected the Cards.

“When you have a Hall of Fame player, I don’t care if it is a quarterback, if it is a tackle, a linebacker, I don’t care where, if he’s a Hall of Fame talent (losing him) is going to be a difference,” Fitzgerald said. “It happened to be a Hall of Fame quarterback.”

But Fitz — who was close to Warner and remains so — knows Warner has moved on and so too have the Cards.

“He decided to move on with his life and pursue some other goals of his, and who are we to question what he wants to do as a man?” Fitzgerald said. “We love him and respect him, but we know this game is bigger than one person. We have to continue to go on and try and do the best we can and we want to see him do the best he can as well.”

I assume Fitz means at everything in life, and not just on “Dancing With The Stars.”

Tags: ,

47 Responses to “Fitz: Kurt has moved on”

1. By Brandon on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Any news on Gerald Hayes and the injury?

2. By xSxTx on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

not the best photo lol… kind of looks like they are kissing each other… sorry but I thought i’d point that out…

3. By FandangoStandsUp on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

So is Fitz comprehending or conceeding?

4. By Cards4Ever on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Why did you make the picture look like they are kissing?

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: Hayes

Not right now. I will ask tomorrow.

6. By Michael on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

In my opinion, Nnamdi Asomugha is the best player that no one has ever heard of.

7. By joe again on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Is it too late to change the photo choice, Darren? (not your best decision)

8. By CZarr on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand… There are people out there that are still calling for him to come back. Seriously, get a grip. Kurt Warner is not Brett Favre. Do not think that he is fickle enough to say one thing, but actually mean another. For most players who retire at a ripe age (I’ll channel Barry Sanders here), they have done so for a reason. Let the man live in peace, that’s what retirement is for. Granted Kurt was a little more grey than Barry, but he had a few questionable seasons he had to make up for to get into Canton. I wonder what percentage of the idiots that booed him off the field in ’06 and ’07 are the ones that are mentally masturbating to the possibility of him coming out of retirement now.

9. By CZarr on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

I want a job writing for the Cardinals, what do I need to do?

10. By Brad ONeill on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren how can you as an employee of this organization put a photo like that up.

just kidding that is funny as hell.

Derek is our boy now lets take him to the super bowl and break him in right.

11. By R Robles on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

We Miss You Kurt!!! Damn I’d Rather See Him Slinging The Ball Around Than Dancing. It Burns me Up Inside

12. By Joe-B on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was “are they kissing”?

13. By realcardfan on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

No, it looks like Fitz is telling him something. Their lips aren’t even close! Why do people have to continue to say stupid things?

14. By Tom-AZ on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I understand it too but with respect to Kurt’s DWTS schedule, I would really like to see Kurt in the stands near the sideline or on the sideline. Him passing that torch, cheering on his team would be awesome. I know he tweets about watching every game, but I would love to just see him cheering the cards.

15. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Good for Kurt. After all he’s done for our team, he deserves to do his own thing now. He showed true determination to help us get to the play-offs and the Super Bowl and to win back to back titles for the NFC West, why shouldn’t he have some time for himself and his family. Way to go Kurt!!!!!!!!!

16. By BigRedFan on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

My fave Kurt-Larry photo is Kurt running up to the podium and giving Larry a big ‘ol hug during a press conference after a big postseason win….

17. By Jay on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

How do the Cards look at 2nd year Rashad Johnson? Thank you.

18. By vsancards on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Now that you mentioned it, it totally does. Not that there is anything wrong with that! lol

19. By RKoz on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

It’s guy love xSxTx, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

20. By BigRedFan on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Or maybe it is NOT a photo . . .just video. Can’t find “the hug”. What a drag that is if no one captured it on film!!

21. By Mack on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Not that i wish to say that there is a big problem, but i noticed that in 3 of our last 4 games (including last years Playoffs) the Cardinal defense has allowed over 40 points. Do they need to work on everything or is it one particular area that is losing it for us?

Cheers

22. By John on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Re: Photo

Too funny!

23. By TBru on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Not that theirs anything wrong with that

24. By cory on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Ha ha ha- I’d change the photo, man… ha ha ha

25. By g on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

well look lets wait till hes off daning with the stars then lets offer him a 30 million 2 year deal with 15 mill up front an get him back on are team well win the west an get into the playoffs an then the skys the limit an hes got 2 years to work with are 2 young rookie qbs!

26. By Matt H on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Off topic Darren, but is there a chance we can get the podcasts (BRR,underground) available for download as like an mp3 for the ability to take it with us instead of being tethered to our computers?

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Matt H –

RE: Podcasts

They are available on iTunes.

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

CZarr –

RE: Job

Sorry. I’ve got the only one available right now.

29. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Brad (and everyone) –

RE: Photo

You guys have to get your mind out of the gutter.

That shot was at the end of the Saints game, when Fitz gave Warner a hug because everyone had a pretty good idea Kurt was going to hang it up.

Never mind. Not worth the hassle. The picture has been changed.

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Jay –

RE: Rashad

As a backup safety for now. He still has much to prove.

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

RE: Defense

I think the playoffs was a case of being banged up and playing the two best offenses in the league. Last week, it was a loss of focus after getting whipped early. I think focus is a big part of it.

32. By CZarr on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Dang, I’ll have to convince Whiz to turn you into a zombie.

33. By Gang6230 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

That is football. Noone can live in the past and decide to win today. Kurt a great player. But today he is the past. We have what we have and play with what we have today. I think all of us fans need to stop living in the last 2 years those r gone. Let’s support the team today for what they are a great football team.

34. By Dre on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

–Darren

I don’t know if this is something you would do but I will ask away. Have you read Kurt’s book and if so would you recommend it? I am a better reader then writer and have been planning on picking a copy, from the library, of coarse. (LOL)

35. By Darthcard on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Who are they kidding? The cardinals are playing /acting like Kurt Warner was the best thing since sliced bread. He was awesome. He helped do what almost everything thought was impossible. Unfortunately he got majority of the credit nationally. This year is shot. Way too much roster turnover and judging sooo far they play like they want a pity party. Kurt is gone and frankly I’m tired of hearing about him. Darren you wolf and Paul put a smile on my face. You guys are the best cardinals right now. I wanna hear what whiz and company are doing to get better. Otherwise SF is gonna use the cards to whips there dairy air.

36. By Roy on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

By the way, I don’t think Cromartie is anywhere near approaching a “SHUTDOWN CORNER” yet. He has all the tools (physically), but has yet to play consistent either mentally, or due to injury. Pro Bowler yes, shut down corner- not even close.

37. By Dre on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren —

RE: Defense

Ok you say a loss of focus for getting beat early but they allowed ATL to score on the first couple of drives. I got ripped by everyone for bring up things I saw in camp. Oh by the way, I went to respond late last night and before I was to post my cat jumped on the mouse (yeah sound funny huh, cat jumping on mouse) and I lost everything. I have to be honest, the ATL really shook me up because I can’t see for anything in the world to be beat like that. ATL did a kneeled down with about 4 minutes left on the clock to give us the ball back. One of the bad things about is a lot of people including folks who participate on the blogs made excuses…bad calls by the refs was the top vote getter.

There was a few things to take note of in the game against the Rams. The biggest one being the touchdown allowed before half-time with no time left on the clock. Again, we let that happen after giving up a game last year exactly the same way. That has been one of our problems on defense since the cardinal been in arizona. We always gave up those huge heart breaking plays. We have gotten better but it is a problem that still needs to be dealt with.

I saw a defensive back get an interception, run about 50 or 60 yards and was ready to collapse. I don’t think he was here during OTAs and I think I recall Docket calling him out on that.

This defense lacks discipline, they are not focused and they lack attention to detail. They should be up there with the top defense, right now we are 27th in over all defense, 5 spots from being last. They have the talent but something always keeps them from cracking the top ten.

38. By Thomas77 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

So Darren,

Is the new picture the shot just before they start kissing?! Haha!

Just kidding….

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

RE: Kurt’s book

To be honest, I have not read it. Sorry. If you’re going to the library, it can’t hurt to take a chance, right?

40. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

RE: Defense/cat

You may be right on the defense. We will see quickly with games against the Chargers and Saints.

As for the cat, do you need a leash?

41. By CrazyLady25 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

BigRedOne –

I’ve got the photo of Kurt giving Larry “the hug”. Just send me a message (theHammer) and I’ll e-mail it to you.

Darren –

Kurt left because of the O-Line. He would not change his game,even if it got hit 20 times per game.

42. By Scott H on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

ANY picture of Warner and Fitz kinda hurts because it just brings back fond memories of what was during the best couple of years I’ve known as a fan of this team since the late 70′s. Yeah, I know, I know…but I’m having a hard time lettling it go. And watchin’ Derek Anderson ain’t helping! Not yet, anyway…but Fitz will always be special no matter who is on the other end of the passes.

43. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what about Warner coming back an being the Quarterbacks Coach? I still think he would come back for 15-17million! Kurt just being back with the guys got those juices flowing again!!

44. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

CrazyLady –

RE: Kurt

Kurt left because he was tired of everything — the working out, the practice. As much as he didn’t want to get hit, when he said he was done he said if he could just play Sundays — even with the punishment — he’d stay. He just didn’t want to commit Monday through Saturday the way a player must.

45. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

RE: More Kurt

Gotta stop wishin’ and hopin’.

46. By georgiebird on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Fitz’ comments on losing a HOF player should be further discussed.. HOF players usually stay around too long (e.g. Emmitt Smith and Favre among many others) Also teams are prepared for their retirement with new players.
    In Kurt’s case – he could still play much better than anyone the Cards had. I don’t know a case where a team was left with such a void given the QB position
    Even the classic case of Jim Brown retiring early, the Browns had Leroy Kelly.

2. Sep 24, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog