Friday before the Raiders

Posted by Darren Urban on September 24, 2010 – 4:30 pm

A sampling of three comments from my blog:

“I’m a (season-ticket holder) and this is it. I’m not going to suffer through this anymore. This team’s inconsistency and inability to show up for the big game is unacceptable.”

“My heart was broken with this game. I even took down my Cardinal flag. Maybe the question should be asked is ‘Was last year a fluke?’ ”

“One thing I do agree on from many posts is the ‘Ho hum’ attitude from Coach Whiz and the players after an embarrassment like this. I know Coach Whiz is a pretty even tempered person but I didn’t see him take any accountability himself for it.”

The talk of frustration, certainly.

But it wasn’t from this week.

It’s from after the Colts game last season, a disastrous blowout loss. The season turned out OK, right?

Look, I’m not trying to say this team is as good as last season. We can guess if it is or isn’t, but reality says it’s hard to know for sure two games in. You ask my opinion, and, given that it is the home opener and that the Raiders are far from an established opponent, I believe this is almost a must-win – especially given a trip to San Diego and a visit from the Saints up next. But I also thought the Cards would clobber the Panthers last year and lose at least one of the six road games they ended up winning.

Coaches don’t know exactly who and what their teams are after two games. No one does.

On to the Raiders:

– What’s more important this week? Derek Anderson’s showing? Or the defense? I vote the defense, because I agree with safety Adrian Wilson – this team is going to have to be about defense first. They don’t have to be the 2000 Ravens or anything, but they have to be stout, they have to keep this team in games knowing the offense probably isn’t scoring 25 points a game and they have to make a impact play or two (preferably in the turnover category).

– That said, Anderson needs to click more often. Everyone knows that, including Anderson. If the Raiders blanket Larry Fitzgerald with Nnamdi Asomugha – which is possible – fine. Let Steve Breaston rip them up. Breaston is capable.

– What will Beanie Wells bring? He’s not going to out-carry Tim Hightower. Not this week. Limited again Friday, Beanie hasn’t practiced fully since he got hurt in the final preseason game Sept. 2 (and subsequently had surgery to repair a meniscus tear). Coach Ken Whisenhunt acknowledged this week Beanie isn’t in football shape. Yet Beanie is a threat and a nice compliment to Hightower. If this game stays close, riding the running backs a little more might help Anderson too.

– The Cards are 5 for 21 on third-down conversions this season. That absolutely must improve, although I am pretty sure that message has been delivered multiple times.

– Not sure who gets the call as punt returner. It may be rookie Andre Roberts’ turn, now that Max Komar had first-game issues and Breaston is already nursing that sore knee. Roberts has had trouble consistently catching passes this first year, and that can’t happen as a punt returner. Breaston, on “learning” how to catch punts: “You don’t want to say any person can catch them,” Breaston said. “It’s all about that pressure coming down on you. Any given time, someone could release a block and knock you on your butt. It’s like going across the middle every play – are you going to focus on that ball? Or are you going to focus on that safety?”

As receivers, both Roberts and Komar can understand such an analogy. The question is, can they make it work?

What a week. Started with disappointment in Atlanta, ended with a small Russian woman and Fitzgerald dancing after practice. Not exactly a sequence I had been expecting. Now we’ll wait to see how Sunday plays out.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

65 Responses to “Friday before the Raiders”

1. By Tyrelle on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Come on Cards. We love y’all to death. Go out there and win.

2. By Joe-B on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

It seems like the comments are like that after every loss…

3. By justice on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I think if the Cards can stop Raiders’ running game, we should be competitive. Again, I think it a TO battle. If we win the TO, we should win this game. The Raiders are like very similar to us at QB, OL, and D position. It comes down to TO. Common guys, let’s get some 1st down.

4. By Brad ONeill on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

i’m really wishing they hadn’t traded wells away now that faneca is hurt. just once i would have liked to have seen wells back at his old spot and seen how it worked out. but no sense worrying about that now. sniffle.

the thing we have going for us this week is that God hates the raiders. We all know al davis is the devil. and kurt warner on our practice field even if its just to dance gives us an edge.

I am wearing my saint kurstipher medal this week.

5. By TMAS on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Why don’t we put LSH back there? The guy has breakaway speed and can run through anything

6. By TucsonTim on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Another interesting thing about that colts game was the defense held Indy the first 4 times they had the ball. The offense couldn’t do anything when they got the ball back. KW got picked twice including one in the red zone. Imagine if that game happened again and DA was the QB

7. By TucsonTim on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Any of the Cards made any comments about how much Rolle is loving the Big Apple?

8. By ross on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

You are the man. Keep up the great reporting, writing, etc.

9. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Hope Larry Fitzgerald don’t retire on us for Dancing!! LOL Go Bigred Big game at the Nest time to get it in order! 3 rec an Larry passes Larry! 2nd all time on the Red list!

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

RE: Rolle

I have not heard any.

11. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I think are D! will get it together Warriors come out an Play’ we are going to need extra Body Bags for Raiders! someone is leaving with a black eye or a bloody nose for sure if not they will be all Scratched up! Lets Go Red Rage!

12. By Dylan on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

lol well i read article about how rolle was saying the team has no chemistry and how kinda he doesn like the team haha sucks for him

13. By BLOOD RED on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

It will be nice to see the team gel this week.I think this is the week,at home gonna be electric(always is).I agree this D has alot of talent and also believe last week was good for us.We all know the history.I expect us to look like a whole different team this week.Fans energy makes huge impact in games and the whole nfl will see it this sunday!Be ready for some nice highlights.(It will be nice when we can go through a season without having a blowout to get the team rolling)ROCK N ROLL REDBIRDS!!!

14. By TBru on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

So long Band wagoners
    I officially became a Cards fan on 3/15/88 even though I kind of liked them before that. I’m not going anywhere Bring on the Raiders

15. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is there away you can play the whole KW show online? As you not I’m not in AZ and only able to see what you post online, pretty much I call it the teaser version.
    Anyway hope you are able to do that for us fans outside of AZ.
    Mahalo !

16. By Joeazaur on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah baby! lets go cards! Derek I’ve been a fan of the big arm, light em up.

17. By Poopkickers,Vikings,CardsNeedToStandsUp on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

This is a pretty much must-win, this early in the season. I think Whiz is going to open up the playbook with more trick plays and Davis is going to call a more convoluted scheme.
    But the best laid plans of mice and men, sometimes backfire.
    Hopefully, not this week.
    Darren, I know you don’t pick scores that would be like the White House Spokesperson guessing on how many seats the Dems will win in November. But what’s your overall feeling going into this game?

18. By Ctownbeatdown on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I heard a clip that rolle is hating it there. But at least he got paid! Someone who asks “was last year a fluke?” is a fan who only watches this team when they are up. Maybe a bad season could make fan day and the red and white practice bearable to go to. I can’t stand arizona fans.

19. By mikeso on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

CARDS ALL DAY WIN OR LOSE. THEY CAN GO 0-16 AND I WILL STILL KEEP MY FLAG UP! DIE HARD ALL DAY. I JUST CANT STAND THEESE SO CALLED “CARDINAL FANS” WHEN THEY ARE LOOKING BAD THEY CAN CARE LESS….. ATTENTION!!!!!:::: FAKE SEASON TICKET HOLDER CARDINALS FANS!!!!!!! I WILL BE HAPPY TO TAKE YOUR SEASON TICKETS FROM YOU. GIVE IT TO SOME ONE WHO ACTUALLY SITS IN HIS SEAT ALL 4 QUATERS. PLEASE CONTACT ME I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE EM THANK YOU!

20. By lajames on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Porter can at least get into the backfield in this game. Because he’s such a poor lb he’s using his prior stats to stay on the team as a leader now that he’s not so great. I’ll be watching with interest to see if he backs up his leadership role like Ray Lewis does.

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

WhoeverTheHellStandsUp –

RE: Raiders game

I don’t know for sure, of course. But I think they will rebound and play well enough to win.

22. By Dre on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

One thing for sure it’s going to be a ugly game, so brace yourself again. The days for the finesse team is surely done for now. Of coarse, its a must win game, every game is when you are playing a sub par teams. Thats a mind set that has not been instilled totally to all the players and some of us. At the same time don’t count these below averge teams out, especially the ones in the AFC West because they are getting better. KC with the coaches they brought in this year are winning. Most of the NFC west teams have a decent running game, which mean they can control the clock. We are finding out early that this new team has issues with leaving the defense on the field too long. How long before that is a locker room distraction.

A Players only meeting two games into the season and they are still saying, we don’t know what we have yet…I beg to differ. They wouldn’t let you know if the world was about to end until 5 minutes before it happened.

I think with our drop off, we are basically on the same level as last years 5-11 teams. The big questions are can our defense be that difference maker, can we get the ball to our play making recievers. Will our veterans lead the why this year.

23. By WHOMEVERthe HellStandsUp on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Is Will Davis’s injury a concussion? (Head) and vomiting(according to Somers) sounds like a brain injury. You have to ease these these types of ailments.

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Whomever/Whatever –

RE: Will Davis

Possibly. Don’t know for sure.

25. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

IF the Cards lose this week is the season over?

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Loss this week

Of course not. A three-game season doesn’t make sense. There are 13 games left. Been that long since 1978.

Good to have you back, by the way.

27. By TucsonTim on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Dre_
    Finesse games like KW’s 5 interception game 8 games into last season.

28. By BLOOD RED on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Gotta have alot of heart to be a true card fan.Been there since sitting in Sundevil Stadium surrounded by away fans every game.Having to just about throw blows walking to the car every game,(with a sunburn).So some of these guys need to appreciate what we have.Michael Bidwell taking over and finally spending some money and bringing in Whiz and Grimm is going to keep us even keel and in the hunt for years to come.Chill out we will be fine.

29. By Billy Thomas on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I think you hit it on the head Darren. Awesome job with the intro. quotes for this blog. We were all saying the same thing last year when Warner and the receivers weren’t clicking. All it took was a bye week and we were set after that. So, let’s win against the Raiders and then let what happens happen against San Diego and New Orleans and into the bye week. Going 2-3 is fine as long as by Week 7 we have a plan of definite action in place. I’m not losing faith in this team, and I’ll be cheering for them until the sun stops shining in Arizona!

30. By Havasu Tom on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darrin, What will help the most is to keep the defense off the field. That means Anderson and the offense must perform. 159 defensive plays compared to 112 by the offense and very few trips to the red zone, that worries me. We’ve only attempted 2 field goals, and 1 was from 54 yards. We’re not even getting into the white zone. I love Coach Whiz, he’s the best. That being said, I believe he’s making a big mistake by spreading the blame for Anderson. I know some routes are wrong and the line isn’t helping much, but there’s many throws that are not even close to the wide open receivers. I also believe Anderson needs to get out of the pocket more often. He’s standing in the pocket like a Arizona Christmas turkey, surrounded by coyotes. The defenses are keying on that. I also understand that his throws are even wilder on the move. Anderson is as tough a QB has I have ever seen. But give a winner who quits twice a season because it hurts.

31. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Dre’ the Donkeys fan! Thank god your in Colorado jack’ one less stupid person we have 2 worry about in Arizona!

32. By Wash on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I’d love to see a cleaner game – less penalties, less TO, a balanced attack….keep it simple and let the W takes care of itself. 1st two games have been too frustrating. Have a bet with Raiders brother-in-law: whoever loses has to supply post-marathon beer next week. Free beer, Cards!…free beer…

33. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren u should start a list of names of fans that make the most off the wall comments an call it The Donkey List? or Dre’ Day? or Off the Wagon? Thanks! everyone is accountable for there actions! LOL

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

RE: Comments

Comon, keep things clean here. Dre has a right to his opinions just like you do.

35. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, yes clean thanks

36. By Conor on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

The band wagon for az sports fills and empties at the drop of a hat.

37. By TBru on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

We should beat the Raiders, SF Should beat the Chiefs, and Seattle will probably loose loose to the Chargers. We should remain tied for first. I think it is a crap shoot who wins the division. The head to head divisional games will be the the key to making/missing the playoffs.

38. By Duece on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Thank-you Mikeso. Amen to everything you said!! Go Cards!!

39. By R Robles on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren I was watching “highlights” of the Falcons game & alot of there runs the line was holding them & no calls were made but on our side we got called for everything that game looks suspicious man

40. By MikeG on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren—Thanks for bringing up that Toler penalty against the Falcons
    in your latest blog. I thought that call was a joke along with some others. I
    think the referees are off to a poor start all across the league. I think it is important for the Cards to get off to a quick start tomorrow and really play
    the run heavy. I would like to see Gabe Watson play tomorrow given
    the size of that Raider front line. Nice to see that Gallery might not start for the Raiders-he is their best lineman—I would like to see some pressure off the edge as well! We have to cut down those penalties l–5 or less. I’m going Cards 26 Raiders 14!!! How many carries do you see Beanie getting tomorrow?? About 10-12??? I think the Cards will play angry tomorrow!!

41. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Beanie

I see Beanie getting about 10-12 touches. It could be more, but he’s been away from the game a long time.

42. By MikeG on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I would like to see less time from Bryan Robinson this week
    at nose. I thought he had a tough two games out of the gate. Given his age and mileage – I think he is a liability if he plays too much. I know he is a good leader and teacher for the young guys but it is time to get some big bodies in their!!! That is one of the things I question from Bill Davis so far—his use of Bryan Robinson!!! He got pushed around last week!!! Do you think we will finally see Gabe this week????

43. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Watson

No idea. Little surprised he’s been inactive.

44. By LUKE on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

i understand that its early in the season and all and i can accept a loss but geez,why every year do we have a blowout loss?if it was 24-17 or even a 10 point loss but why every year do we get blown out 2-3 times?embarassing.Cmon redbirds!!!

45. By blake on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Great , Great start to the blog Darren , couldn’t agree more, anything can happen in the next 14 games lets just hope it gets better, but if not i will just curse and scream at my TV( as i have done for too many years already :) ) in hopes that the future will hold a another great run to the Superbowl.
    and as many have demonstrated their enthusiasm to the Cardinals , it is after all just a game.
    come on CARDS LIGHT-EM up

46. By nor cal cards fan on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Tbru- If we beat the Raiders and Seattle loses to San Diego, we will be in first place all by ourselves regardless of what the 49ers do.

47. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Stevie Baggs decided to stay in Canada?? For the Hamilton Tiger-Cats over the Nfl an the Cards?? Hey maybe American Football was to hard for him?

48. By Joe daddy on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Mike g im there with you man. Watson eats up a lot of space and hes not going to be pushed around up front. b-rob definitely isnt the typical nose you want up front. Watson and Williams are..I also saw faneca hurt his back late in practice? I dont think it would be bad to see Rex hadnot in there. I loved what i saw out of rex in camp and in the preseason.

I know last week we fell behind early so anderson had to throw a lot but he threw a lot of passes in week 1 also. Hopefully with beanie back Whiz starts pounding the rock like we all expected. Thats the strength of this o-line and its not like anderson is lighting people up..he would be a lot better with playaction and only having to go thru a couple reads. hopefully whiz stop calling games like hes got warner under center..

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

I believe the rules are a player cannot break a CFL contract to go to the NFL. He already had signed with a CFL team.

50. By BLOOD RED on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s part of the wisdom of Whiz to have these blowout games.It makes all the other teams we play take us lightly.We are going to have to learn to play as a favorite one of these days.Going through these blowouts to have motivation and wake us up every year is stressing me out!(I sure hope thats what it is)lol

51. By MikeG on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Yeah–Joe Daddy–I’m with you as well. I would not have a problem using
    Rex Hadnot if needed. He had a nice camp and would do a nice job in the run game. Hopefully Fansca will be able to go though!! Hopefully we can pound it down the Raiders throats tomorrow!!! We have to get Seymour blocked though!!! Hopefully Hightower will have another nice day!!

52. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

As any longtime fan will recognize, The Big Red Sea didn’t exist until we got the new stadium and then it was a work in progress wilth the majority hopping on the bandwagon after the run to the SB. So, for the fair weather fans who want to take their flags down and their alliegences back to whereever after only two games–see ya and don’t let the door hit ya on the way out. We have always played best when we were down and we are in better shape than some other “elite” teams (Dallas for one) so to give up on this team so early tells me you don’t know the Cardinals very well. And to refer to other teams like The Raiders and KC as substandard is disrespectful to the game and the professional athletes in the NFL (411 –that’s what alot of people say about the Cards!). This is beginning to be a strange season for all the teams in both leagues that has been injury plagued. I look for things to change here in the near future as players come back and teams have a chance to watch tape on what other teams are doing. IF, this is one of those seasons, that most every team has then just relax, enjoy the comerarderie of other fans in celebration of the pigskin and cheer on the Cardiac Cardinals. GO BIG RED!

53. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, How about Trading for Trent Edwards??

54. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Bills only want a 7th rd pick for Trent Edwards? I think the Cards should make the move we need a backup to push DA! An try to take his job! An are Rookies are not ready!

55. By Peter in Canada on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I just got back from England where the only info I got on the first two games were the scores. Reading the write ups and the stats on this web makes me think you should have an extra option on fan poll, protecting the ball. Four turnovers per game is way too many. The Rams weren’t a good enough team to take advantage and the Falcons were. So if we protect the ball better, convert a few third downs to help the defence we should be o.k. and go 2-1 which puts us ahead of last years pace.

56. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Trigidy –

RE: Trent Edwards

Why would you want a QB who has washed out multiple times in Baltimore Buffalo.

57. By TBru on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

“Why would you want a QB who has washed out multiple times in Baltimore.”

Not to mention Buffalo :P

58. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

TBru –

RE: Edwards

Baltimore, Buffalo, whatever.

Crap.

59. By Dre on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 24, 2010

tRiGiDy22

WHO DAT, DRE DAT

I tried to warn y’all, oh you can close your mouths now. I am a fan, a fan that calls it like I see it. The raiders are one of the most penalized team in the league every year and the cards have their issues as well. The cards make the dumbest mistake at the worst times. We just won against the Raiders who missed a field goal at the last second and who was 5 and 11 from last year.

And I bet we hear the same crap from you cloned sheep fans. I know this team because I have watched them for the longest.

I didn’t see too many of the vets take control of this must win game. I saw the run game lead by Beanie Wells open up the passing game. I saw more of the same with the mistakes from each unit. I saw a defense give up both big numbers in the pass and run game. And if you would study the stats you will see the same thing but you want to sit there and just be a cheerleader…I sorry, I’m not that kind of guy.

So give it up because “I hit the nail on the head once again”…I called the ATL game except for the leave of absence from our defense.

Oh yeah did any one see that KC game…they torched the 49ers with their run game, over 200 yds rushing…

60. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I get it lol who wants a QB from Baltimore or Buffalo or Cleveland at that! Just throwing it out there 7th rd pick is not a lot to give up!

2. Sep 24, 2010: Hightower should get more carries than Wells | Fantasy Demon
  3. Sep 24, 2010: Hightower should get more carries than Wells » Feed Me Fantasy
  4. Sep 25, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  5. Sep 25, 2010: Cardinals’ Hightower Should See More Touches Against Raiders | Sports Journey
  6. Oct 1, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog