Raiders aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2010 – 11:05 pm

Maybe hard isn’t the right word. Taxing certainly is. You feel good about Beanie Wells coming back and watching him average 5.4 yards a carry, you worry about Derek Anderson completing less than 50 percent of his passes. You feel good that the defense held up in the red zone, but understand the Raiders were able to move the ball quite a bit. You feel good the Cardinals win, but realize the other kicker isn’t missing a 32-yarder very often.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt joked about the “torture” a lot of these games will be. Whiz is right, of course. If the Cards win, it’s by any means necessary. But jeezum …

– The win was not pretty. But I’d guess the 49ers – now 0-3 – would kill to be an ugly 2-1 right now.

– If Beanie can run like that, the Cards will be in great shape. He and Tim Hightower can make some things happen. Is it enough to offset Anderson’s issues? Hopefully. “Obviously, I expect myself to play better the first three weeks,” Anderson said. “I’m doing everything I can. The coach says, ‘Hey, don’t put so much pressure on yourself’ but I want to be perfect.” Anderson completed only 12 of 26 passes for 122 yards (although it’s fair to point out his throws drew three pass interference penalties that accounted for an extra 74 yards).

– For the record, Whisenhunt was asked if there was consideration to put backup QB Max Hall in. “No, we didn’t think about that,” Whiz said.

– Larry Fitzgerald’s thoughts on the offense? “You know it could be worse, honestly,” Fitzgerald said. “I mean, if we were sitting 0-3, I’d probably be pulling my hair out.” Fitz had just two catches (out of seven targets). He was being covered by Pro Bowler Nnamdi Asomugha, but still. If the Cards were 0-3, I’m guessing Fitz would want to do much more than just pull his hair out. He wants to win, but he’s like any of those elite receivers – he wants the ball. This is got to be killing him.

– Whisenhunt said the most impressive part of the Cards’ defensive showing was their goal-line stand, and that’s true. But it may be the defense’s fourth-quarter showing period. The Raiders had possession for 12:19 of the final 15 minutes. The Cards ran exactly seven offensive plays in the final quarter for 12 yards. The Raiders ran 26 plays in the quarter. Sure, the Raiders missed two field goals in the period, but the fact the Cards held up means a lot. The Raiders ran another 70 offensive plays. This defense has been on the field a lot in three games.

– Cornerback Greg Toler is getting picked on unmercifully, but he’s holding up pretty well. That has to be a good sign for that secondary.

– Everybody did a solid job of springing LaRod Stephens-Howling on his 102-yard kickoff return but safety Rashad Johnson made sure he went all the way down the field to give the Hyphen his final block to get free. Johnson had a decent day defensively, too.

–  Rookie Andre Roberts’ first game as a punt returner probably isn’t going in the scrapbook. He only returned two for six total yards, and one of those he fielded inside his own 5-yard line (returning it only to the 5), a definite no-no. Two other punts he could field before they hit the ground, and the ball bounced off teammates for turnovers. The second punt actually might have been kicked a little short and Roberts did apparently tried to signal his teammates  — DRC heard/saw it, but when he stopped, the ball bounced and hit him – but it didn’t look like Roberts made the signal clear enough on the first. Those are turnovers the Cards absolutely can’t afford.

Big picture, it’s been a rough two games for Roberts and Max Komar as rookie punt return men. The Cards don’t want Steve Breaston returning punts but he definitely makes coaches feel more comfortable.

– Safety Kerry Rhodes had an excellent game. In on a ton of tackles, making a handful of pass breakups, blitzing the quarterback and getting pressure. If Rhodes plays like that, no one is going to worry about the departed Antrel Rolle. The Cards’ defense will be pretty well off too. Same if linebacker Paris Lenon – a sack, an interception – can play like that too.

Time to go to bed. Time to try and recover.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

103 Responses to “Raiders aftermath”

1. By Joe-B on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I hope the Cards try to run the ball more. The passing game still has some kinks that need to be worked out, and if Beanie/Hightower/LSH can keep playing well it will help DA out a lot.

2. By darrel on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren this is the same ol derek we saw snice pre season nothin has changed is jason cambell availbe

3. By CaptainDune on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I feel like we are seriously overlooking the most important factor that is plaguing our team at the moment. We all know what it is, and I would really like to see something on DA’s accuracy problems and what is being done to solve these, because lets be honest, hes gotten worse each game. For a team with our receiving core to have a QB behind center that is completing less than 50% of his throws I think the fans need to hear something to calm our nerves, because I am getting VERY worried.

Also, I am not looking for another Kurt Warner debacle or Matt Leinart debate. I just really feel like I need some facts on Anderson and his progression (or lack thereof). Thanks.

4. By BluePitt on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

“I think we all knew it wasn’t going to be easy watching this team this season. But after three games, it is turning out to be very, very hard.” HAHAHA understatement of the year!!! Well I was Stooked 4 this season up in till the Matty crap!! Now I am Praying the other team cant win with 12 men on D! The 12th man is…..Anderson #3 he helps out he opposing D in huge ways! Like: to name a couple: Over,Under throwing, 3n outs or my new fave hitting the ground in the fetal position (spelling?)when he is going to get hit. Fitz is not and has never been Elite!!! He was living off of our one and only ELITE WR & QB!! Anquan and Warner, and Yes Fitz is a great WR but not nearly Elite. Q has done it from the start Day ONE Detroit, and consistently over the year’s. Fitz was only a “Elite” WR with the one and only Warner at the helm in the run to the SB (post season records)! Look at the stats they don’t lie!! Q has only played in 3 more games than Fitz Q=7807yds Yac 5.2 Fitz=7219yds yac 3.9.. yes Q had one more year but has only 3 more games. Fitz is a great WR but lacks the spark to spur this O on like Q did, at least once every game he played in. Yes Fitz would have a great 40yd jump ball catch, but never sparked the O like Q did. I am sorry but Q stated after the SB he was going to put his $$$ stuff aside and play ball, “It will work it self out” Sounds to me if the Cards rewarded him with the Quan he deserved, he would be redeemed and play ball as a Card!!! Show me the MOnnnnnney Jerry! ok I’m done, I have vented on the eve of our Win…hahaha no need to respond Darren ( I am mostly venting randomly ) I was not aiming the “Elite” at you, but more so to all the announcers, Fan’s and experts who praise Fitz like a God, and not just give him the great WR credit he is due!

5. By Ben P on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

So far I don’t know what Whiz saw in DA in training camp/preseason, but he hasn’t shown us anything so far in the season. Percentage is awful and so is the yards per reception. A better running game is only part of it, the run has been pretty decent so far, DA has not. A win is a win, but there needs to be some big improvements to continue

6. By Sean on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Anderson should just shut the heck up, because every time he opens his mouth up he sounds more & more ignorant!! He “wants to be perfect”??? We would be happy if he could just complete 50% of his passes & not get any of his receivers killed!! The guy can’t even put any touch on a Brett Farve wanna be touch pass! How did this guy ever play in college or become a pro with only a 100mph inaccurate fastball??? All I can say is that the more I watch of him, I am amazed that Whiz stands behind this guy, as our rookies could NOT do any worse…This team is winning in spite of him, not because of him!!! You say by putting in our rookies in means we are conceding the season, I say by leaving DA in we are conceding the season!! Let’s not fool ourselves, without a QB, this team is not making the playoffs no matter how bad our division is, & yes I’m aware the 49’ers are 0-3, but I bet they whip the heck out of us…BOTH TIMES!!! So why not start seeing what are rookies have/get some experience & maybe we’ll get lucky & find one that can complete 50% of their passes without killing our receivers :-)

7. By CardinalsFavor on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

You mean, Beanie/Hightower/Hyphen.

Go Cardinals.

8. By A16 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

What were your thoughts on the two apparent ‘shovel’ passes Anderson attempted? I thought that maybe some of his errors branched further than just his completion rating.

9. By Cali Mark on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Derek Anderson is a very likeable guy, but lets face it, he stinks. Kyle Orton is waaaaaaaaaay better and that is sad. How does Andre Roberts have a job. He is horrible at everything. Both of the kicks that hit off of teammates should have been fair caught, it is a shame the cards wasted a third round draft pick on him. Their has to be someone on a practice squad somewhere that can catch punts cuz Komar cant do it either and that issue almost cost them their two wins. The defense looked good at times, but still made alot of mistakes although that pass interference call on DRC at the end of the game was crap. Although they are 2 and 1, I dont see the cards getting many more wins if they play like this. LSH is the man and needs the ball more. To bad he cant return punts. Maybe we should just have Breaston do and fair catch everything.

10. By Eric Y on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

This offense is gettiing harder and harder to watch. I hate to be one of the guys to say it, but the idea of Max Hall is getting more and more attractive. I want to have faith in Derek Anderson but I simply don’t trust him running this offense. Why Whiz was so hard on ML7 and not this guy is beyond me. As a fan, I feel ridiculous wanting to see DA get hit hard enough to sit a quarter or two and give the rookie a real chance to do work but I can’t help and think it every time this guy walks back to the sideline. I know an undrafted rookie like Hall isn’t the best answer for our situation, but it might be better than the one we’re dishing out now.

All said, DA’s the man for now. I hope he can get in sync with the guys and get us a win in the next couple if weeks.

It’s going to be a couple of very tough weeks. Let’s make some upsets!!!!

11. By CardsFanSince60 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Why can’t The Hyphen get a shot at returning punts?

12. By Jedihillis on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

It’s hard to pick out just one frustrating moment from this game, but one that comes to mind is DA’s shuffle passes. Okay, the first time he panicked and made a bad (and costly) decision. Fine. But then to come out on the next series and do the same move with almost the same result? That’s unacceptable in my book. I give Anderson props for working hard and staying in the pocket, but that was downright foolishness in my opinion.

13. By Darthcard on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Call it murphy’s law whatever you want but when breaston dropped the 3rd and 5 I sat down and thought we lost. Really can’t blame me the cards play the script like a broadway play. Defense has to win the game. And like 8-10 times they don’t. And sadly they didn’t this time either. But karma,murphy’s law whatever you wanna call got me back when he missed that kick. I just cracked up laughing. Watching the cards will make you laugh, cry, and possible want to check yourself into a mental ward. Great win guys.

14. By Rugbymuffin on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I heard Fitzgerald & Beanie’s comments about the fans at the stadium.

Pretty poor taste from two individuals whom are given millions at the age of 21 years old.

In the economic times we normal people face it was a showing of skewed arrogance.

I’ll take a win, but those comments from those two players put a damper on a win.

15. By Steve Nealy on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter has been non-existent. DRC gave a ten yard cushion on the critical 4th down… and was called (correctly, IMO) for pass interference assuring the Raiders at least the opportunity to kick a FG for the win.

Derek Anderson is brutal. Let’s face it: his career completion percentage should not give hope to those Cardinals fans who think “he get better.”

As of right now, it’s clear that only the Rams in the NFC West have a franchise QB. Hasselbeck in Seattle is nearing the end of his solid career with an unproven Whitehurst as the heir apparent. Alex Smith? If after six years, you can’t do any better than he’s done, he isn’t the answer. The Rams have Bradford. The Cardinals… ugh.

I agree Fitz must be dying inside. He was wide open across the middle at least once and wasn’t thrown to. I’ll give him credit. He’s putting on a happy face. For now. By the way, Boldin had 3 TDs yesterday. Fitz didn’t have three catches.

It’s a QB league. We don’t have a QB. Hello, Rod Graves… what is the long term plan? And those of you convinced Max Hall is the next Tom Brady, relax. He may or not (someday) make a good pro QB, but he’s not ready now. And, I seem to remember when both Leinart and Warner were struggling (at various times) how Brian St. Pierre was ready…

I’ve pulled for this team for 40 years. I’ve seen more horrific football than you can imagine. But this team could easily be 0-3. And, I’m not confident that don’t wind up 5-11 with Anderson at the helm. He simply doesn’t have “it.”

16. By Ross on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Beanie is back!! He and Timmy are going to be the face of the team for the next 13 weeks. Beanie and Timmy should both get 1000 yards. Darren, agree?

17. By NM Cardinal on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Passing game has more than kinks, it is lackluster. I cannot believe the amount of 3 and outs, Anderson needs to go, poor decisions. It is going to be a long season.

18. By shannonrobinson on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Part of the joy of being a Cards fan is watching the team develop. When you have several breakdowns in special teams for example, the coaches get to problem solve and correct results for the next game. When rookies make mistakes they gain experience – which I’m beginning to understand takes a long time, especially learning about the speed of the game. Biggest progress is with the offensive tackles who’ve come a long way out of disaster. Andre Roberts will be a good punt return man and just may surprise us with a few game-breakers. No time to panic – and also, lucky is good.

19. By Tyrelle on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Um, don’t blame Roberts for DRC not looking for the ball. You move out the way. Robert shouldn’t have field one punt. Rookie mistakes and instead of Whiz being happy with every win, he need to address stupid mistakes like that. This team could improve real quick if Whiz would learn to tell them about the stupid mistakes they make and not keep quiet.

Good win though and I saw a few positives. Defense need to get it together. 3rd and 10, and you give up 12 for the 1st down. That is a NO NO. Davis need to get his coverages together or he needs to be fired.

20. By vsancards on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, but after watching that game, I believe we cannot consistently win with DA. He misses too many opportunities.

As for the defense, they have to get themselves off the field on 3rd down, or even 4th down. This is ridiculous. There were a few pressures, but mostly Gradkowski had all day to pass.

I know it is a win, but I just don’t think we can correct who DA is.

21. By Steve on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Being a lifelong Browns fan, watching the Cards win a game like this really wasn’t all that hard for me. At least when this team shoots themselves in the foot a number of times they still find a way to eek out a win, shows a lot of character.
    Not sure why it’s taking DA so long to get comfortable with Fitz, maybe it’s the fact that Fitz is the elite top dog receiver and DA feels like he has to get the ball to him so he’s pressing things rather than just letting it happen. Something I’ve noticed with DA this year that’s different from the past, before, whenever he threw a TD he would run to the endzone and celibrate with his receivers but I’ve not seen him do that this year, he goes straight to the sidelines. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t even see him celibrating with his teamsmates on the sidelines, am I missing something?
    By the way, I like your articles, you’re very informative and more fact based than opinionated, I like that.

22. By Matt in Philly on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

A couple of things real quick.

Anderson: we cut a guy who could compete 60-75% of his passes in any given game because he wouldn’t go downfield., but Anderson is averaging less than 6 yards per attempt (28th in the NFL) and his longest completion is 35 yards. He can’t make the short passes, and he’s not making the long ones either. What IS he doing?

2010 Cardinals: how many times can the team say we’re better than this before we can say with confidence, “No, you’re not.” Week 5? Week 8? Week 13?

2010 Cardinal fans: I don’t know if it was because I was watching the game in a bar where the sound for the Cards game was muted out for the sake of the Eagles game, but I couldn’t help but feel embarrassed by the lack of energy from the Cardinals fans at UoP stadium on Sunday. Every shot of the stands showed a fan base with blank stares, beers, golf claps (if any claps at all), and often not even watching the field. Am I wrong, or has much of the fan base already fallen off the bandwagon again?

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

CaptainDune —

RE: Anderson

There are no new facts. Anderson came into the season a career 55 percent passer. This is how he has always played. Whisenhunt and Anderson say they are working to improve them. I don’t know if it’s possible six years into Anderson’s NFL career.

24. By Mattman on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Anderson needs to increase his accuracy. There is no excuse for missing wide open receivers by five yards or more. I thought that I read Fitz’s lips of “you gotta be kidding me” when a ball was twenty feet behind him. Fitz has to be frustrated. An NFL QB having a 50% completion rate is unacceptable. Something has to be done. I just don’t think that Anderson has anything more than that in his arm. I’m also not sure that Hall is ready yet. We are kind of stuck between the proverbial “rock and hard place”.

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

A16 —

RE: Shovel passes/errors

I think that’s a fair assessment.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

RE: DRC/punt

A blocker’s job isn’t to look for the ball. It’s to block. The ball is the return man’s responsibility.

27. By greg on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Two things that may happen to take the pressure off of Toler:
    He picks a couple of passes for touchdowns, which I think is coming, or teams start throwing at DRC because of his frequent mental lapses. He looks like he needs someone to constantly tell him where to line up and what coverage to play.

28. By 2-14 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

At least we’ll get some good draft picks next year. I hate to see the cards want to lose so bad. It makes no sence why we’re the only team that does this crap. Its so hard to watch these games and it’s just gunna get worse. im not prepared to go back to the old days. This really sucks – i sure hope things can turn around but its not looking so good. Darren do the coaches plan on trying to seriously change things or just watch the team destruct???

29. By Rich on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I was at the game. Andersen didn’t look that bad. A couple poor decisions on the shovel passes; a couple throws that could have been more accurate. But he looked ok otherwise. The offense is evolving. You’re going to see more runs, more roll outs by Andersen. Don’t blame the QB is our receivers couldn’t get open deep. The Raiders were holding our receivers on nearly every play. Breaston dropped a couple easy ones. Andersen’s numbers could have looked alot better. I think the Cards are going to beat San Diego.

30. By Sackman on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Cardinal fan for over 30 years and finally the last 2 years I have a taste for winning. I predicted that Leinart should be traded and that we only stay with 3 quarterbacks. I also predicted that Max Hall will take over the helm by week 6, and Anderson will be our veteran backup this year and gone next year. I have seen no improvement from Anderson, and by putting Max Hall in he wouldn’t do any worse. What would be the difference at least if would play the same or better, my bet he would play better. Food for thought! I also noticed the fans acting like they couldn’t get into the game. Put in Max Hall and you’ll get alot more excitement from the fans.

31. By Wes on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Any chance the Cards trade for Kolb or another veteran QB?

32. By Eddie on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

This might sound dumb, but why are the Cards wearing the white pants again?! Everytime AZ wore the red pants last year it just seemed like a W was guaranteed. I know superstitions sound dumb but it does something psychologically to players to do the same little things if it helps get W’s. Just thought it might be worth mentioning to Whiz.

33. By Jesse Robles on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    I understand NOT pulling Derrick Anderson yesterday, today is a new day. To say that Max Hall could not play better then Derrick Anderson ISN’T believable. Max Hall might not be ready but neither is DA, at least Max might have a future, after these horrible outings I would be surprised if DA goes anywhere after this. Max Hall COULD POSSIBLY grow, the Rams have Bradford in as a Rookie! I understand Max Hall is NO saviour by any means, but at least he could LEARN from his mistakes, and not continually do them. EVERYONE KNOWS WHIZ MESSED UP!! WHIZ MESSED UP!! Matt shouldn’t have went anywhere. Whiz needs to lose his EGO, realize HE MESSED UP, and let DA go, this guys sucks. It was smart letting the CARDS fight it out yesterday, but we have great receivers and a High School QB with nothing but a 6’6″ frame that WHIZ loves!!! Get over yourself and realize that this guy HASN’T IMPROVED. What player continually makes the same mistakes and DOESN’T CORRECT THEM? (Besides ADUB getting burned by every TE in the league) I THOUGHT THE BEST PLAYER PLAYED?? I do not see DA as our BEST QB, no way now how, I do not care what ANYONE SAYS, this guy SUCKS. I LOVE THE CARDS, and we are in first, but Whiz being a Hypocrite and picking favorites instead of playing the best player is a little ridiculous. Our D did step up, but DRC is anything FAR FROM a SHUTDOWN CORNER, he is not one and doesn’t deserve anything close to that title, unless make up speed is a SHUT DOWN CORNER, they are picking on DRC just as bad as Toler, no one is scared of DRC, he gets burned all game. How do they call a FACEMASK on a BEAUTIFUL stiff arm from BEANIE? Horrible call, hopefully DA leaves on his own cuz Whiz is SO MUCH IN LOVE WITH THIS GUY were going to be forced to watch this PATHETIC PLAY all year.

Any Chance Max Hall gets any Reps with FIrst Team in Practice? By the looks of it no one is taking them in practice. If DA is taking them they are being wasted because no way is this guy trying to better himself. “I WANT TO BE PERFECT?” LOL, actions speak LOUDER than words and 2 shovel passes nearly picked is not perfect, that is stupidity.

34. By Justin on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

BTW – Joey Porter had his first sack and also stripped the ball from Gradkowski.
    Also…DA did look good on his TD passes including showing some touch. How about Paris Lenon being all over the field as well and K. Rhodes good play?

Something POSITIVE for you Monday AM even if I’m shaking in my boots right now about this season…and DA!!

35. By Larry White on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren, Why do our CB’s play off the wide receivers up to ten yards some times. Why arn’t we bumping and banging the first five? We don’t disrupt there run patern at all. We did a horoable job defending the pass.

36. By ChrisZ on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Implosion coming soon.

37. By Tyrelle on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you but still in all, its stupid mistakes that hurt this team. They have to do a better job because SD’s punt return coverage team is horrible. Are they going to work on this in practice?

38. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Torture, yes that is a fair description of watching the Cards so far this year.

Lessons: Running the ball wins games. You can’t expect to win many games by only kicking field goals.

Graves needs to speak with the competition committee about the ticky tak pass interference calls, which actually occured on both sides.

39. By RED BIRD 66 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Wow, I can’t believe DA is in the NFL he is horrible. We wont have to worry about him getting our recievers hurt since most the time the ball is uncatchable. I feel like we are going to be in dog fights like the Rams and Raiders against poor team and we are just going to get blown out by average or better teams. What’s with DRC he looked horrible and why was there a 10 yard cushion on 4th and 10. Can we start a pool on how many more games before Hall gets the nod. Lucky for us our division is horrible and a 6-10 record may win it. I can’t belive that Seattle looks like the best team right now. I have bad feelings about a pissed off Chargers team killing us since we obviously can’t get fired up about anything. Where was all talk Porter, thinking about the next meeting.

40. By Scott H on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    As usual, all very well said. And I think you said it all. I’m just trying to take a break from my own negative thoughts. I swear, I tire myself out sometimes!

To focus on something positive – though it ( sadly ) is not immediately related to the Cardinals right now – I just want to give major league props to Anquan Boldin for being the fastest player in NFL history to reach the 600 catch mark. That is awesome and it speaks vloumes about what kind of player he is. It’s even more amazing when you consider how much time he’s actually missed to injuries over the years. My lord, how fast might he have made it to 600 catches if he’d NOT missed that time??? You da man, Q. We miss you but I still love to watch you play no matter what uniform you’re wearing.

41. By Blair on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Why does it seem like when ever this D has to stop some one on fourth and long late in the game to win it they always give up a first down pass. They should have never had the chance to miss that field goal.

42. By R Robles on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Man we should trade for Chad in Miami this is brutal I dont even want to see them play it hurts it can be worse be we are almost there I hate it

43. By MikeG on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–Cards were lucky to win that one. A win is a win though and we will take it. I thought the refs had another bad game. Bad calls on both sides. That Cromartie penalty at the end was ridiculous. Again no Gabe Watson–I thought Robinson had another rough game–too many yards rushing by an opponent. A bright spot was that goal line stand and I thought K-Rhodes and
    Beanie had nice games. We have to get our punt return game straightened out-A-Roberts looked like a deer in headlights out there. Hopefully he will improve or this is going to cost us a ballgame in the future. Also–Hyphen really asserting himself out there. Our old friend Todd Haley did us a favor yesterday as well–Nice Chiefs win. Big win tough–if we can get to 3-2 at the bye -we will be in good shape. Who would you have given the game ball to yesterday??? Not an easy call–Hyphen??Ben Graham(had a great game)??

44. By Brad ONeill on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

In defense of derek anderson, he has been missing half of the running back duo, the number one receiver has been at 75% the number 2 receiver has been out, the number 3 receiver is also nicked up. So he has been dealing with players playing at different speeds than normal, rookies that may or may not run the right route, a different set of backs every game.

lets not forget the fact that his offensive line was allowing him to get crushed at least once a series and usually twice.

i guess what i am trying to say is ‘give the guy a chance’. at least let him have one loss that is even kind of his fault before you call for his head.

45. By Chris B on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Well, we certainly aren’t going to win BECAUSE of DA. At this point I think we’re winning despite him. I believe he can play better. Maybe it’s the pressure getting to him. But he can’t get first downs which means our defense is getting A LOT of snaps. This defense isn’t going to win games for us. We can’t count on kickers missing field goals all the time. But what else can we do?

Stealers are 3-0 sans Big Ben. I’m waiting for the cries to offer them anything for any one of the 3 guys that have backed him up. Or even to offer something for Big Ben himself.

Oh, well. DA better get over the pressure and just start to play the game. Because of the remaining schedule, we won’t win another game like this. St Luis isn’t even a “sure” win anymore. 2-14? Maybe.

46. By Peter in Canada on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren- A fair and honest assessment. I also think the comments of the bloggers are reasonable. They realize we have had a fair share of luck in being 2-1 and understand that luck can not always be relied on. I think the defence is on the field too much and have played well under the circumstances. The running game also has been good but if other teams begin to stack up against the run the passing game has to get better. So far there is no evidence that it can. As one blogger said it’s a QB league. The Cards used to have one but don’t right now. I don’t blame management because the only real QB available was McNabb and they obviously had reasons for not taking him. So we will have to suck it up with DA and look to Hall and Skelton in the future. Once again thanx for your comments.

47. By Chris on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m not ready to grouse just yet, but if Anderson is pulled for Max Hall, which apparently 90% of the fan base is ready for, he will have more pressure on him than any undrafted rookie has ever had. I can already tell that if it gets to the point where Hall is put in, there will be complaints across the board if he doesn’t have a 130 pass rating and 3 TD passes. Methinks we need to ride this out and see what happens.

48. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

2-14 —

RE: Turning things around

They are leaning toward letting things self-destruct. Actually, Whiz brought up the other day to a handful of reporters that he had gotten bored with winning and the Cards have instead decided to tank the season. You know, just for fun.

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Wes —

RE: QB

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

RE: CB positioning

The answer is two-fold. In 2007/08, it was felt the CBs were getting beat deep too often. The idea was to make sure the play stays in front of the player. Fans can’t have it both ways. I heard plenty of complaints back then that the corners couldn’t hold up deep. Also, if the Cards continue to have to blitz for pressure, especially with safeties, the Cards will be more cautious how they play the back end.

That said, the cornerbacks do need to make a few more plays.

51. By D ryans on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

When this season started, 3 is the number of games i thought it would take Matt to prove himself. Now, after dumping Matt and the Cardinals saving the money they owed him, DA won that opportunity. Throughout Camp, Pre-season, and these 3 games the only thing he has shown is that he can take a hit. The Coach preaches to this team about open competition and that the best player will indeed play. Hall on the other hand impressed at Camp, looked pretty good and mobile(rushing TD) during his limited time in Pre-season. Why is Whisenhunt not being true to his own plan. From what everyone has seen so far Hall is our best QB proven or not, DA has been given that chance and he proved he stinks. Our Defense has been on the field way too long and cannot carry the load all season without injuries at key positions. DRC has already shown that he is not the most durable CB in the league. I say start Hall and see if he can get first downs and move the ball, it cant get much worse its not like DA is winning these games for us.

52. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle —

RE: Practice

Believe it or not, they work on everything during the week. Do you think they ignore parts of the game?

53. By Anand Patel on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren
    Any update on Beanie Wells latest tweak of the same knee that was operated on? Hearing a report from cbssportline that he twisted it. Thoughts?
    Thanks!

54. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Game ball

Janikowski?

55. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Anand —

RE: Beanie knee

Beanie did say he twisted it a little but he insisted he was fine and the Cardinals did not report any injury to him after the game.

56. By Fatdog on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Why don’t the Cards just go with Hall he would not be any worse Anderson and Hall might be the future of this team so why not find out now if he is the way I see it the Cards have nothing to loose.

57. By 14-2 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

well now that whiz took the pressure off and they’re just gunna tank the rest of season – im sure that we’ll get alot more wins. But really, i think our D is really good and our offense has a lot of talent ( minus the ball not getting to our wr’s. ) i think thats why its so puzzling to see the almost wins happen. As much as i hate to say it but pittsburgh has a good D and not a good offense ( they’re down to batch) and look what they’ve done with it. i just dont want to be scared anymore when they offense takes the field, ya know??

58. By OttisAndersonFan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

If Whiz doesn’t get his QB situation figured out this season, re-signing Fitz isn’t just going to be about the money. He has $$$ and as we seen this year, there will be teams willing to give him just as much as the Cards will.

Rather, re-signing Fitz will be a matter of winning at this point in his career. Why would he want to continue playing with a QB that completes only 50% of his passes? Do you think Fitz wishes he were in Baltimore now instead of Q.

Hopefully Whiz will keep the above in mind while his QB transformation project continues over the course of the season.

59. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

14-2 —

RE: Scary offense

Um, I’m certainly not promising that isn’t going to happen to you.

60. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren maybe DA should be in the Locker room throwing Produce at Fitz maybe couple fish? Or maybe we should hang Fitz upside down in the Locker room?? Maybe have Fitz catch one handed?Then comes the hard part DA throwing the Football 10yrds!. What do u think of that guy out of Baltimore? or Buffalo? LOL

God I hope my Heart will keep up with this Team!! Cardiac Cards got 2 love them!
    Whats the life span of a Cards fan? Darren there is a Report for u! How many Cards fans die a year do too heart problems?? An can u still use a heart of a Cardinals fan for the donor list? Or too High Risked for Doctors Or like are QB below 50% Thanks!

61. By OttisAndersonFan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

D ryans –

Good points. I think Whiz is waiting for the best time to give Hall his chance. You don’t want to throw the rookie to the wolves if his supporting cast isn’t getting it done – it will only hurt his confidence and development.

Look for DA to start against SanDiego and New Orleans and absorb their punishment. Then, after the bye week, we should have a better idea of Whiz’s plan when we see who walks out on the field in week 7. Personally though, I don’t think we’ll see a QB change until (if) the Cards are out of the playoff hunt. Given this division though, the Cards are probably going to be in the hunt because the competition is so mediocre. It would have to be a division title though – no wild card team is coming from the NFC West.

62. By Gary on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Things I’d like to see from the Cards in the ’11 NFL Draft:

1st Round: QB or OL
    2nd Round: OL or QB
    3rd Round: OL or OLB
    4th Round: OLB
    5th Round: WR (one with catch, route & return skills)
    6th Round: SS or TE or FB
    7th Round: TE or FB

Things to consider entering the 2010 season::

Alan Faneca – not getting younger (13th season – impressive for an OL)
    Jerry Porter – not getting younger (12th season)
    Clark Haggans – not getting younger (11th season)
    Adrian Wilson – not getting younger (10th season)
    Derek Anderson – not getter better, upgrade required
    Bryan Robinson – 14 seasons, he’ll probably retire after this season
    Offensive Line – cannot handle the blitz, upgrades required
    Fullback – watched him dive to the ground instead of run blocking (looked scared)

We are fortunate to have talent in some key positions (except QB) and these guys have played well past their NFL average. However, we need to continue our draft success in recent years and get some youth with potential in key positions – QB, OL, OLB, SS, FB. We have done well to build a solid core at defense, but guys like Darnell, Gerald, and Paris are on the cusp of hitting double-digits in the NFL (7, 8, 9 respectively). On the offensive side of the ball, Larry is not getting any younger either. He’s in his 7th year in the NFL – but I still see him and many other guys playing well past 10 years. Other guys like Jeremy Bridges and Matt Ware are in that same pool. I still believe there is some trade value in the form of draft picks in Faneca and Porter. We also may be able to squeeze one out of Derek and Paris. Looking over our practice squad, I see some guys who may be of some potential with the right coaching and motivation. Herman and Pestock have great size, although Herman need to continue the weight loss. I believe we lack the right coaches in the right spots to develop players. For instance, take a look at our QB situation for the past…let’s say…20 years. Has this franchise ever produced a caliber QB in those years? No. This is a problem. We need to get a QB coach who has a clue about developing and coaching QBs. With the right coach, Leinart could have been a good QB. With the right coach, maybe Derek’s accuracy problems could be resolved. It’s obvious Miller is telling Derek to put touch on the ball without decreasing speed because he is still zinging those touch passes in there. He needs to slow his arm speed down on those passes and point that leading shoulder to the direction he is throwing on all passes. The guy still has mechanical problems that Miller is not correcting. He needs to get Derek in front of a mirror and work on those mechanics. This way, he can see exactly what he’s doing right and what he’s doing wrong and build that repetition in his mind and body. There are other coaches who could either be motivated or removed altogether but I’ve done enough writing for one post.

Go Cards! Die-hard fan for the past 23 years! Derek, get yourself in front of a full-size mirror and work on your mechanics, please!!! Darren, keep up the wonderful work you do here – tell Derek to get himself in front of a mirror!!!

63. By RichUK on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Brad ONeill – The most sensible comment thus far.

That said I can understand why people are moaning. As for Max Hall, an earlier post stated that 90% of the fan base are ready to go with Max – over 90% of this fan base aren’t qualified to make a solid judgement on whether Max is ready or not ( Myself included ). To think we are is arrogance. Whiz is top dog for a reason.

Would be interesting to see Max H get a game though. I think my biggest beef has been with the defensive line. Someone has pressed the mute button on those guys.

This is obviously all OPINION so don’t get angry if you disagree.

Keep it up Darren

64. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Lets hear it Cardinals Game Ball goes to Janikowski! Player of the Game! Lets Go Bigred!!

65. By RichUK on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

P.S I’ve just seen that Trent Edwards has been released.

Any repercussions for us Darren? Just interested in your opinion. I suspect not, but I don’t know anything. Not even my own name :(

66. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren that QB from Baltimore or Buffalo( LOL) He just got his walking papers?? Now how do u feel on having a Backup that not a rookie an maybe Starter over DA???

67. By Chad on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

DA is playing like he played the last 4 years of his career. I do not know what is expected of a guy who hasn’t played well his whole career. In yesterday’s game, it seemed the most passes where behind the receivers giving them little to no chance of yards after the catch. How hard of a concept is it for an NFL QB to throw in front of the receiver and throw a catchable ball? DA just seems to throw it as hard as he can at a guy’s back hip. Inexcusable.

At least with DA we are having incompletions. With Max Hall I think we’d see a lot more INTs.

LSH has been a bright spot so far. And I think Toler is learning on the job but playing real well for young guy in a starting role.

The D as a whole scares me as they give up way too many yards. I do not see many defensive adjustments during the game either to counteract the Offenses strengths.

A sign for me yesterday was to see how excited Coach Whiz was when they missed that field goal. How often do we see emotion of out him? Hardly ever. So he must have expected to lose and not expected to win (but maybe of course that happens when they are kicking a 32-yard field goal for the win).

68. By chad d. on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

what an ugly win that was. It’s pretty funny the announcers on cbs noticed fitz was WIDE open twice and DA didn’t even bother To look in his direction, just for a short Pass to breaston. We really need to get that guy out of there. If it weren’t for the Hyphens kick return we would have lost. hes not even giving us a fair chance to win, and i think old ken whiz needs to realize our rookie could put up better numbers without a doubt and at least move the ball.

69. By Chris B on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Forget what I said about Big Ben or any of the other Stealer’s QB’s. Trent Edwards was just released by the Bills. BRING IN TE!! WHOOOOOTTT!!

70. By Blair on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Pick up trent edwards!!!! He will at least be able to hit/see wide open receivers!!

71. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

RichUK —

RE: Edwards

Don’t see it. He’s washed out multiple times in Buffalo and can’t hold off Ryan Fitzpatrick. Still think if they decide to move on from Anderson, Hall will get first crack.

72. By Mike T on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Scarry game there. It almost felt like an away game compared to the other few ive traveled out for. Do you know if the Cards will put up a video of the kickoff return? That opening kick is the most exciting part of the game and im suprised no one has any footage.

73. By Scott H on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Why are we oicking up Trent Edwards? You mean, pick up a QB whose had chance after chance over the past few seasons, has failed consistently, and was eventually released by one of the worst teams in the laegue? Um…don’t we already have one of those?

74. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Yes, watching the Cards is stressful, but then anybody who has been a fan for long knows why they’re referred to as the “cardiac Cardinals”. A W is a W in the column and now we need to move ahead, correct our mistakes, improvise for various shortcomings and get our head in the game. Coming from Kansas City, this is where the fans are separated from the bandwagoners. Love what Todd Haley is doing (thank you for that one), Love that Q is finally been recognized for the great player he is (may get the big diamond ring this year) and proud that they were once part of our organization (believe they took away some good things in the way of knowledge and development). Anybody who has seen Fitz play up close knows he is an elite player but one guy can’t do it all by himself. Agreed that the fans probably don’t seem like they are into the game …what compared to the last two years?
    The fact that it was a sellout crowd in a time when many have lost jobs, houses, and more should say something. The fans should get credit for the missed FGs. RISE UP RED SEA!…We’ve got our work cut out!

75. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Mike T —

RE: KOR video

I will see if that is in a highlight package. UPDATE: It’s in this video package: http://www.azcardinals.com/photos-videos/videos/Cardinals-Talk-About-24-23-win-over-Raiders/b44fd365-5548-41d5-bb75-3d40f8ec4e50

76. By Staff Sergeant TIm Roberts on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Ok, admitedly Derrick Anderson has had some bad games. However, Coach Whiz had seen something that he liked in DA and was willling to go with him instead of Matt Lineart. Its easy to talk about someone when it isn’t a Hall of Fame QB like Kurt Warner is. Everybody knew that when Kurt left we would have issues with the QB position. It wasn’t as if it came as a surprise to anybody. There’s not alot of people who can do what Kurt did, and its unfair to DA to even try to get him into those shoes. I think all DA has to do is settle down and relax. Sure his consistancy is something to be worried about, but the league also has some really good DB’s out there. So people just need to relax and just let the man play his game. And even still, not everybody is playing up to their potential either. So lets not bag on one guy when everybody needs to contribute. There is not “I” in the word TEAM people. Relax, its only week 3.

77. By Gary on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I think Edwards would be a decent pickup and an upgrade over Derek. Here are some number from both players (prior to the 2010 season):

Trent Edwards:

34 career games & 32 starts, Edwards is 535 for 878 (60.9%) for 5,739 yards passing, with 25 touchdowns and 27 interceptions, 76.5 passer rating – 14 wins & 18 losses.

Derek Anderson:

38 career games, all starts, Anderson is 587 for 1109 (51.9%) for 7,083 yards passing, with 46 touchdowns and 45 interceptions, 63.6 passer rating – 17 wins & 21 losses.

Career-wise, Trent is a full 9% more accurate than Derek and nearly 13% higher on passer rating. That 9% and 13%, respectively, looks small numerically, but it’s huge in the perspective as a passer in the NFL. That’s the difference between putting finesse on a touch pass versus zinging the ball in there at 110mph – ending up in with a catch or a tip ball for an interception, respectively. Matching Trent up with the Cards WRs, RBs and TEs could be a devastating thing for other teams to deal with – in my opinion. Grab Trent, keep Derek as the #2, move Max to #3 and put John on the Practice Squad (PS) or, make Trent the #2 guy and move Max to #3 with John on the PS. This season doesn’t fully resemble, but is similar to, a rebuilding year. Both Trent and Derek are young enough to still make an impact down the road if this season does not turn out the way the team, the fans and myself would like it to turn out…

78. By JohnnyV on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

For the first time ever, I could just sense, not only in his words but his tone that Whiz thinks it is time to feed the Bean. I know he still likes Hightower and he is a viable change of pace back, but can you see this offense goin through Beanie the rest of the season (barring that he stays healthy)? He just seems to make the most sense to see what you have in him and see if he can handle 20-25 carries a game. The run game has only made DA better if you look at specific series, and it seems like DA prefers when Beanie is back there. It just makes sense to focus on this based on our upcoming opponents and the fact we need more clock control.

79. By Brad ONeill on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

come on people i know you guys are just calling for trent edwards so you can complain about having a quarterback as a starter that couldnt even keep his job with the bills.

lets be reasonable here.

80. By Dre on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Since this blog is focus on DA….it isn’t surprising to seeing the “in Whiz we trust” and “the DA give us the best chance to win vs Matt” supporter starting to turn. To me. It as simple as this, Larry Fitzgerald arguably has a pair of the best hands in the NFL and most likely be on many top ten to top twenty best hands in the history of the NFL. And if Fitz can’t help DAs pass percentage improve no one can, not even the “WHIZard OF OZ” himself.

Bottom line is they are trying to duplicate the 2007 Cleveland Browns who had a 10 – 6 record….lead by Jamal Lewis, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow with Dereck Anderson at 56.5% passing percentage, second or third worst in the league that year. 60% is about league aveage and that the gamble.

So get use to it…no matter how much I want DA on the first thing smoking outta town its not going to happen. But it would of been interesting to see what might of happen if dude didn’t miss that kick. Its a silent panic in the air and you can tell by Whisenhunt celebrating after the missed kick like he just won the Rose Bowl…that even keel shot right outta of his butt, didn’t it.

I do plan on seeing some Max Hall within the next two game, especially if the game gets away from us, a la the ATL “worst butt kicking I have ever seen” game. I can’t recall ever seeing a team take a knee and give the ball back to the other team with time still left on the clock.

81. By Dre on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren

I see the 49ers just released their offensive of coordinator today. What type of impact does that have on a team and the message to the fans and players. Is that a sign of the head coach trying to save his job?

And on that same note, do you think our defensive of coordinator might be on the hot seat himself?

82. By 98CardsFan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Glad Seabass won it for us, play of the game. Luckily DA did not get us called for a stupid penalty to take away our first OFFENSIVE TD. You can not roll out on a WR screen, that’s what he did and Komar clearly blocked a DB before the pass was even patted to be thrown. Major break on that no call there, just wanted to point it out. Still not done in my eval of DAs decision making but I really don’t like his demeanor when he gets sacked on a 7 man rush and he turns his back for the play action anyway. There was no desguise, they were bringing them all run or pass. Should have reared up and threw the damn ball. 5 games till the bye so 2 more? Hopefully Matt will get released too….

83. By Tony on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Everything that is going on with our QB situation STINKS! Seriously Whiz the only reason why you got your extension is because of Kurt. I think you need to get on your knees and thank him!! How can you put a QB in that completes 50% or less of his passes? What did you see in DA that you didn’t see in ML? At least ML had a great completion percentage! It’s very hard to watch this team now since our QB is a wash up. How is this guys still in the league? You can see the frustration all over the face of FITZ. Why do you think he bear hugged Whiz after his TD? Because he knows that his TD catches are going to be extremely limited this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he only has 5 this year. You have 2.5 million people in Phoenix that sees DA running us into the ground. So, why doesn’t WHIZ see it? I’m baffled… When I watch DA play I’m hoping someone takes him out of commission. I want to see him get hurt so Max can step in and start getting reps. Sorry DA, but you can’t hit the ocean with a rock even if you were standing on the beach. My 4 yr old son has better accuracy than you…

84. By Charger Choker on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

http://www.superchokers.com if you hate the chargers go here!!!!!

85. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

JohnnyV —

RE: Beanie

Always a chance Beanie can get it more, but we will see.

86. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Dre —

RE: Coordinator change in SF

It seems to me changing coaches mid-season rarely makes enough of an impact, because a football team has so many moving parts. It does seem desperate to me.

As for the Cards, I can’t see Whisenhunt ever firing a coach in-season.

87. By jocards on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

It’s clear to me that the Cardinals need to get Beanie in game shape and once he’s there give him the ball 25-30 times a game. He’s one of the few real playmakers we have. Anderson is too inaccurate to carry this offense and to me Hightower is effective but limited..I’m not saying Hightower can’t make plays but he should be a compliment to Wells, it shouldn’t be a straight up time share.

88. By TucsonTim on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

For better or worse, DA is the QB unless some super trade happens, which I don’t see the Cards doing. We got what we paid for. Maybe it will get better. He hasn’t had a lot of reps with Fitz and Breaston.

Also he looked good rolling out of the pocket after a play fake (which actually works when you can run the ball). Too bad he has to roll out but the o-line just isn’t getting it done.

The TD pass to Fitz was perfect!

Give the guy a break. You really want to see an undrafted rookie trying to run this offense. He’s not Sam Bradford, and the comparison is ludicrous.

89. By Yoshi on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Why is everybody blaming Derek Anderson when the o-line has been terrible? Why is everybody blaming derek anderson when without doucet and both fitz/breaston not at full speed our receiving core is “average”? Why is everybody blaming anderson when our defense has been much below average? Why is everybody blaming Anderson when we lost our fullback right before the season? Why is everybody blaming Anderson when Beanie has been hurt and tim has had fumble issues already that cost points? Why is everybody blaming Anderson for leading an average team to a 2-1 start?

90. By jocards on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I’ll tell you why everyone is blaming Anderson, because he isn’t good at all and never has been. However the point is well taken that the offensive line has been miserable in pass protection too. The defensive issues don’t help the team either but have little to do with Anderson’s poor play at QB. The health of the receiving corps does effect Anderson’s play but he is just not an accurate passer and he isn’t hitting the big play either. With that said however I do not think an undrafted rookie is a viable option at this point so we ride DA.

91. By redseafan85 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

two things here- one is GARY for being a fan 23 years you should be embarrassed to already be looking to the 2011 draft. Thats terrible to give up on your rebuilding team in week 3. We just lost a hof quarterback. I do sort of agree with you on edwards but he would only be a very minor improvement. Also mr roberts i agree with you 100 percent. darren-do you think the cards are adjusting the play calling/offense for da to adjust better? Thanks i appreciate what you do

92. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

redseafan85 —

RE: Playcalling

That’s what Whiz was saying today, that they are trying to adjust the offense to better fit the QB.

93. By Ben on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Thank goodness I can watch the Cards in a nice,clean, fantastic NFL, airconditioned Stadium! The envy of many far and wide. DA looked better than in previous games, minus a few bad decisions and throws. He does have an arm. Hopefully he develops with his receiving corps soon. Coach Whiz took a Dennis Greene team to div,conf, titles and super bowl. Thanks Whiz, that was definently coaching. We have had plenty of rough starts with Kurt, Fitz, Anquan etc.. Teams are constantly in flux. The Cards will eventually be consistent and perenial contenders. Some of these games are brutal to watch, though. Hopefully a looming strike does’nt ruin the whole shabang. GO CARDS!

94. By Kansas Fan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Cardinal fan since Charlie Johnson was at the helm. I do not see the Cards winning with Anderson. He probably is a great guy but that doesn’t win ball games. I would like to see the two rookies get a chance. They probably couldn’t do any worse. Larry needs to be able to have the ball thrown to him so he has a chance to catch it.

Let’s hope Anderson gets on target on it is going to be just like the old days and there is no reason for that with team.

95. By redseafan85 on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

btw darren- do you find it as absurd as i do to see a fan of our loved team go as low as to wish an injury upon a player such as tony did in an earlier comment?! That is as low as it gets and you make all cards fans look bad when you comment like that tony. It is only week three.

96. By Eazy E on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Whew!!! Man that was ugly but pretty record. Derek has to hit the open man, he has too, no excuses! Larry Fitz vs. Wimbley OMGosh!!! Running game is looking better and better every week. Beanie looked good in his season debut and hightower always looks great running the ball. Fitz was going against the best cb in the league in nnamdi, he did have a td that turned out to be the 2nd game winner for fitz he’s super clutch. Offensive line looked a little better against the best d-line we’ve faced so far. Defense is playing way too much, Derek and the offense needs to pick it up and they will because that’s just too long. Dockett got on the board with a sack and many more too come, we need gabe active though because our run defense is usually one of the best in the league and solid but it’s kinda been shaky this year. Joey got his first sack as a cardinal and forced a fumble on that sack. Lenon beasted with a sack and an athletic interception. The Pass Interference calls against DRC the past two weeks have been terrible. The one yesterday against the raiders vs. Heyward-Bey was really bad. Toler has held up fairly well also. He has got picked on big-time but not bad play from him so far. Kerry Rhodes had a huge game. 10 tackles, 3 pass deflections, one lead to the lenon pick, just a beast of a game from him, playmaking. We have an awesome safety tandem. Larod had an opening kickoff td to start the game, he’s excellent on special teams returning and covering. I will say it again, we need a true punt returner that bs yesterday was inexcusable. 2 punts recovered because roberts gotta tell matt ware and DRC and whoever else to move out of the way, no way they can tell where the ball is when there blocking for him, they don’t have eyes behind their back. San Diego up next, who looks really bad right now 3-1, let’s look alot better and blow them out! Tied for 1st and san fran lol!

97. By ndpenner on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I don’t remember ever seeing this much panic after a win before. Week 3. Now we get the Chargers. That’s all we have to worry about. I’ll take an ugly win over an embarassing loss any day. I just hope we get it together soon. Go Cards

98. By Gary on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

redseafan85

Remember, these posts are just a matter of opinion and some facts, too. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. Constructive criticism is fine but unwarranted, non-factual criticism is not. I never stated that I have given up on the season. I am quite offended that you would imply that I have given up on my team. I have been a fan through thick-and-thin an not once did I ever give up, nor will I ever. Sure, the team has made me mad in the past but that is the passion of being a fan. You want your team to win, no matter what the odds are. The truth of the matter is Derek is not our ‘Franchise’ QB – nor has this franchise produced one in the 23 years that I have been a fan. As much as I would like to see Derek succeed, I understand his mechanical flaws will continue to be an issue in the passing game. From what I have seen of the offensive line’s play, they cannot handle the blitz. They need to be quicker off the line. That is one of the reasons Herman Johnson – as large of a man he is – does not start. Weight is a huge factor for these guys getting off the line and up on their block. Keep in mind that our competitors in the division are making strides, especially the Rams. If our team is to remain competitors in the division for years to come, these are some of the factors I’d like to see in the ’11 NFL Draft from this organization. Players age, that’s just human nature. If we intend to stay young and develop youth (considering the coaching can bring them along), then these are some of the things we need to do this off-season – again, in my opinion. From my perspective, I would like to see my team make the Super Bowl every year, but the reality is we need guys at positions who can play consistently. The ’08 season was a blessing – an achievement I had waited on for years. I want to see more of this and it can happen with the right decisions from the leadership within the organization. Lastly, as great as Kurt was to our organization – he is retired and has no desire to come back. The team has moved on and we must as fans. Let’s hope Derek can fix the things he needs to so our passing game can be that threat it once was. Speed, accuracy, reads and progression are all things Derek needs to shore-up. He missed Fitz on three potential big-play opportunities against the Raiders. He has a big arm and those big plays down-field opens up the run game in a huge way.

Next stop, San Diego. The Cards will go to 3-1, the 49ers will drop to 0-4.

99. By dantheraiderfan on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

That was just luck and the Raiders dominated your sorry @s but thats the way it goes in the nfl.

100. By jocards on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m not in panic mode however I am quite concerned about this team. Very fortunate to be 2-1 considering the way we’ve played. Rams game could’ve been lost were it not for a fumble, Raiders game too were it not for a missed FG, the Atlanta game was just horrible. I realize a win is a win but we’re not going to get many of them unless the level of play goes way up. My opinion is that we need to tailor the offense around Beanie & have Hightower spell him as needed…control the clock with the running game. Easier said than done but that’s the plan we need to adopt IMO.

101. By Scott H on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Staff Sargent –

With all due respect, sir, Derek Anderson hasn’t just been pretty bad for three games – he’s been pretty bad for the past THREE YEARS!!! He’s done nothing since his one good season in 2007 and unfortunately for us, he looks like he is who we thought he was. Fact is, he’s no better than a decent back-up QB in this league. Trouble is, we counted on him to be our starter and now we’re finding out that there is a reason why even the CLEVELAND BROWNS didn’t want this guy anymore. As always, I’d ba happy to be wrong, but…I don’t hink you’re gonna get much more out of DA than what you’ve seen so far. Because I just don’t think he has any more to give than what we’ve seen so far. I believe it’s inevitable that we will see someone else at QB at or by mid-season. And ya know what? If it hasn’t gotten any better by then, then I’m more than OK with that.

102. By Tim S. on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Why would you want to diminish the production that Hightower has given? Politics? He has been very productive so far and virtually put on the sideline because Wells came back…as the #2 back at that! Wouldn’t you “ease” a player that has recently had surgery back into the line up? Why throw someone who is on an obvious “roll” to the sideline and give them 40%(ish) of the carries? Politics is all that I can come up with…

2. Sep 27, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com