Hyphen’s gift and few injuries

Posted by Darren Urban on September 29, 2010 – 3:09 pm

Well, coach Ken Whisenhunt said the Cards were pretty healthy Monday and, technically, he’s right — the Cards have just four guys on the injury report. Sure, it’s an important four, and two are receivers that are out, but …

Aside from WRs Steve Breaston (knee) and Early Doucet (hernia) out with surgeries, RB Beanie Wells (knee) and G Alan Faneca (back) each were limited Wednesday, although I suspect both will be able to play Sunday just fine. Making up for the missing Breaston and Doucet might be more difficult. I will have a story on the homepage later.

There was good news after practice, though, with LaRod Stephens-Howling meeting the guy for whom the Hyphen won a house. Stephens-Howling ran the opening kickoff back for a touchdown, and Dave Johnson (pictured below with Hyphen and Johnson’s wife, Darci Mimz) got a free new home from Lennar Homes. Johnson clearly was grateful, saying of the Hyphen, “He’s got a place to stay forever.” Stephens-Howling, meanwhile, seems to have a little trouble at home. Asked if he had yet to get his own mother a house, LSH smiled. “Naw,” he said. “She’s kind of mad at me now.”

Tags: , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Hyphen’s gift and few injuries”

1. By Secret on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Why does Paul Calvisi ask stupid questions?!? ;)

Thanks,
    Secret

2. By Chris on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Man the Hyphen sure is a cool dude (fast too)-really like the kid-glad he’s on the Cards! Now I need a new jersey thanks Darren

3. By Prashant on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, that is one very lucky homeowner! And knowing LSH, we might see even more. I wonder where I sign up for this!!

One quick (non-DA related) question … how is O’Brian Schofield’s recovery progressing? Is is at all the team practices (observing) and at the games? In this years draft, we picked him and Skelton as projects, but we also got rid of our 6th round pick and the jury is still out on Roberts, our 3rd round.

4. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Prashant —

RE: Schofield

Just wrote about him http://blog.azcardinals.com/2010/09/21/schofield-thinks-hell-play/.

5. By Brad O'Neill on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

just kidding, that was another great podcast darren, I love those things, if anyone hasn’t tried listening to those yet i highly recommend them. it is paul, wolf and darren at their best.

you can find them under photos and videos- audio/radio shows

6. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

With Wells’ injury going from “bruise” to torn meniscus is anyone sure it’s not something more serious, like a torn MCL or ACL?
    And IF Faneca can’t play his backup would be Rex Hadnot, correct? Has he played this season?

7. By Eric on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

This is very off topic, but are the Chargers making the Cards wear the Red jerseys this weekend?

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Faneca backup

Yes, Hadnot would play in that instance.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

RE: Jerseys

I don’t know that answer. I can try to find out.

10. By Tyrelle on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

OMG.

We are depleted at WR. Does Anderson know that the boys can’t make plays if he doesn’t do throw the ball to them?

11. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Brad,
    Listened to my first AZCards podcast and like you said, entertaining and informative.
    In my head, it sounded like Tom Leander, “Beast” from Beauty and the Beast and “that other guy” discussing Card football.
    Other guy, can you provide a soundbite of Trujillo’s Hyphen TD? That was great!!

12. By joshR on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

yeah boi time for williams to get his shine on hopefully thA DEFENSE STICKS IT THIS weekend

13. By redseafan85 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

darren- is that rookie te from stanford athletic enough to play lets say a wr #4 just for a game or two for the cards to get healthy? I saw him in preseason impress many including myself..just a thought

14. By Jonathan on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Hope to see you in the sideline somewhere this Sunday.
    I’m proud to say I’m going to my first NFL game and to top it off seeing my Favorite TEAM…. The Arizona Cardinals!!

15. By BLOOD RED on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

LSH Keep on keepin on baby!See if you can give some more houses away.(man that has to feel good)Give that man some more touches in screen game!Very exciting player!Time for the whole team to dig deep and pull out the upset win!ROCK N ROLL REDBIRDS!!!P.S. Please don’t forget to remind Whiz about the flee flicker!Tossing in a couple twists and turns like he used to.Maybe onside kick,we are going to have to be creative and tough the next couple weeks.LETS RIDE REDBIRDS!!!

16. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Hyphen, can run the ball 100yrs plus on a Kick return! But we can’t get him the Ball on a Dump pass?? Don’t get it??? We should use him like, SD does Sproles!

17. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

” Fitzgerald said. “I’m just trying to make something happen right now. That’s my only goal.” Darren, Time for a QB yet?? You could tell when u wrote that story Fitz Said. Warner not coming back” He was not Happy! Was someone still holding out hope for Warner Return??? I think so!

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

redseafan —

RE: Dray

Not really. I see Patrick doing that before Dray.

19. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Chargers, down to No Long snappers’ Put the heat on the Kicker D! (Again!) Lets Go Bigred! 3-1, We got to win 1 of the Next 2 Games. Too set up for Week 7 vs the “Sea-chickens”. An set us up for the (Third’ Nfc) Ship’

20. By Rodgerscromartie17 on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any chance we can put LSH back for punts? Or even Rodgers-Cromartie?

21. By kingdiamond on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Secret, don’t you know that only not asking the question is stupid?

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie —

RE: punt returns

I think I’ve answered that. A few times. And to you, actually.

23. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Fitz’ contract plus Steve Breaston,Early Doucet,Ben Patrick, Anthony Becht,
    Tim Hightower,Alan Faneca, Deuce Lutui, Lyle Sendlein, Gabe Watson,
    Alan Branch, Bryan Robinson,Michael Adams,Matt Ware, All Freeagents of 2011.

So Lets see” Doucet, Becht, Hightower, Faneca, Lutui, Watson,Robinson, Branch, Adams, Ware(Gone) After this year!( LOL) some won’t miss at all.

Just Hope we Didn’t burn the bridge with Deuce Lutui???

24. By Dreamcastrocks on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Can you give us any update about Gabe Watson? I know he has been listed as injured early. He isn’t making the 45 player roster. Is there something going on that we aren’t hearing about in regards to Gabe Watson?

25. By TBru on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations you won a house, hope you can afford to feed Herman Johnson for the rest of yours life. lol

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Dreamcast —

RE: Watson

Watson has not been listed as injured. He is, in hockey terms, “a healthy scratch.”

The Cards aren’t going to have three nose tackles active. They aren’t going to bench their No. 1 pick Dan Williams. And right now, there is apparently more trust from the coaches with Bryan Robinson than Watson.

27. By CardsFan on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I know you told Rodgerscromartie that you have answered this question but I’ve never heard the answer so could you tell me why they don’t use LSH on punts? Thanks.

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan —

RE: LSH PR

Maybe I will blog about it.

29. By LennarPhoenix on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

CONGRATULATIONS TO MR. JOHNSON!!

If any of you would like to SIGN UP for the PROMOTION, just visit any LENNAR community today to do so!

Visit to view the locations for all of our communities!!

2. Sep 30, 2010: Around the NFC West: Rams’ futility streak | NowSportsLive