Fitz’s hair, the receivers and some racing

Posted by Darren Urban on September 30, 2010 – 3:11 pm

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald was going over his probable wing mates in San Diego — mentioning all the rookies — when it was pointed out that’s all he has to play with him.

“There’s OJ,” Fitzgerald said, referencing Onrea Jones. Then Fitz ran with it. “Early might play this week. Steve is probable. We’re going to go with that.”

Obviously, Early Doucet and Steve Breaston aren’t playing, as both come back from surgery. But Fitz was effusive in his praise of Stephen Williams and Max Komar, talking about Komar’s “moxie.”

Of course, Fitzgerald has to worry about himself too. “I just want to double my catch performance from Sunday and I’ll be a happy man,” Fitzgerald said of his two-catch day against the Raiders. “If I can just get four, I’ll be …”

“We are 2-1 and that’s what it is all about. If we were 0-3, I might pull my hair out but I’m good right now.”

Good thing. That’s a lot of hair to yank out.

– Linebacker Paris Lenon was added to the injury report when he was held out of practice with a sore pelvis.

– Running back Beanie Wells (knee) and guard Alan Faneca (back) both returned to practice fully.

– Rookie Andre Roberts continued to field extra punts after practice at the Tempe facility once the team returned from ASU’s bubble.

– The locker room loudly exploded with racing challenges among the younger defensive backs. Twice players ran outside ready to defend their trash talk. A.J. Jefferson (re-signed to the practice squad earlier this week) won one race over Michael Adams. A second took place but I couldn’t tell who was involved. DRC was not in either race. Proven wrong again: I have been told the second race was DRC, Jefferson and Stephen Williams — and that’s the order in which they finished. I’d guess DRC is going to win most of his races. He didn’t even look like he broke a sweat when he walked in the second time.

The world awaits the true matchup, a battle first suggested by the potential combatants back at around playoff time of the Super Bowl run — DRC and Breaston. Of course, Breaston isn’t doing any racing anytime soon.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Fitz’s hair, the receivers and some racing”

1. By David Corcoran on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Sure would hate to have to face Whis with a torn hamstring as a result of a race… Just sayin’

2. By Prashant on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Fitzgerald’s hair trounces Polamalu’s hair any day. More conditioned and well groomed, and fit to be top dog in head and shoulders commercial.

3. By SeeingRed on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Good to know AJ is back in the fold… I have a feeling this team is going to get much stronger as the season progresses-barring major injuries. Some teams have a habit of starting slow but I would rather look lackluster and get stronger then come out of the gates fast and burn out. Once Doucet, Stevie B are back and G Hayes and OB Schofield get going (hopefully)…AND dare I say, DA gets in a relative groove…this could be a surprising season..hey, we can dream can’t we? Go Cards!

4. By SeeingRed on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

sorry, meant rather THAN come out of gate fast and burn out.

5. By BLOOD RED on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Oh now they race when Breaston is out.Is DRC affraid Breaston will beat him?Thats the race i’ve been waiting for.

6. By BigTom on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Good call SeeingRed

7. By cardsfan28 on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren is there still a good chance Paris will play Sunday? He looked amazing last week, even before the sack and the interception. Sure have grown to really like him.

8. By Tyrelle on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

lol hahaha. They act like little kids.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan28 –

RE: Paris

I do expect him to play, yes.

10. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

DRC, is going to Fire” Breaston up! Backwards.(Smoked up”).Great that Jefferson is Back! Go Bigred! 3-1

11. By Lloyd Christmas on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully Fitz was in good spirits and joking about his catches, unlike Houshmandzadeh.(I know Larry texted his brother, but that should have stayed internal.)
    What makes wide receivers such primadonnas? Back in the day, more players were like Drew Pearson than Billy “White Shoes” Johnson.

12. By tRiGiDy22 on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren, it could be worse” Thank god’ we don’t got Houshmandzadeh! (Crying)

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Lloyd –

RE: WR primadonnas

Are you sure? Less media back then, no ESPN, no Twitter. I am guessing we knew a lot less about those guys back then, not that they were necessarily overall less about themselves first.

Fitz said it with a smile. But make no mistake, he is frustrated. And he’s still the Cards’ best offensive weapon. He needs the ball.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, but we had Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, Phyllis George and Jimmy “the Greek” telling us that Thomas “Hollywood” Henderson was the bad guy and Walter “Sweetness” Payton was the good guy
    And if the former beauty queen said it, it was the gospel truth.

15. By Eazy E on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Breaston vs. DRC will be alot closer than alot of people think, Breaston is real fast and has long strides for a 6’0 footer just like teddy ginn, Darren, is fitz still hurt because he still doesn’t look 110 percent?

16. By Eazy E on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m still taking DRC though

17. By Eazy E on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Fitz looks around 90 percent

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: Fitz

If you are waiting for Fitz to be 110 percent you’re going to be waiting a while.

As for being 100 percent, he is closer, but he said yesterday he is looking forward to the bye.

19. By Edijkstra on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Which Williams in the second race? Williams is the most common name in the NFL, I think, and the Cards (at last!) have their full quota. I suspect it was Stephen and not likely Dan, but it could have been Isaiah too.

20. By Dre on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

What do you make of Larry’s statement below?

[Of course, Fitzgerald has to worry about himself too. “I just want to double my catch performance from Sunday and I’ll be a happy man,” Fitzgerald said of his two-catch day against the Raiders. “If I can just get four, I’ll be"]

WOW and double WOW…if this isn’t the statement of the year. Larry Fitzgearld content with only catching four passes. This is a smoking gun if I ever seen one, especially with two of his main WRs out. I can’t help but to laugh. There is so much to be said when your superstar WR says something like that. I’m I the only one that finds this odd.

21. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Edijkstra –

RE: Race

It was Stephen.

22. By Mike T on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

If anyone has twitter you should go in and follow some of the players. Everyone was going on about the races it was pretty entertaining

23. By Dre on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Daren–

RE: Larry’s statement

Is there a little hostility brewing between QB and Fitz. I saw in a post game interview that DA mentioned that some of the incomplete passes from the Raiders game were bad passes by him but some were just missed by the WRs. And yes he probably is correct with a pass or two but to suggest that others are to blame. Thats just not how you do it…you let the coach point those things other player do out to the media, he needs to just focus on this faults and mistakes…and take it like a man when the mics are in his face. I thought it was kinda of odd when I heard him say that and now hearing and readiing Fitz’s statement, it just seems like a lot of underlined message being thrown around.

Here’s a clip from an article by Bob Baum, The Associated Press

[Anderson has thrown to Fitzgerald 34 times and connected on just 12, although two have been for touchdowns. Fitzgerald had just two catches Sunday against Oakland.

Arizona might be the most unimpressive 2-1 team in the NFL, barely getting past St. Louis in the opener, getting blasted at Atlanta and beating Oakland last Sunday 24-23 only because Sebastian Janikowski(notes) missed a 32-yard field goal as the game ended.

But, as Fitzgerald noted, it still is 2-1, and that makes the chemistry issues with Anderson easier to take.

"That's really what it's all about," Fitzgerald said. "If we were 0-3, I might pull my hair out. But I'm good right now. … We've played just OK, not well enough. But fortunate to be 2-1. These next two games against San Diego and New Orleans will be good tests for us going into the bye."]

I wouldn’t refer to Fitz as a primadonnas when he might be upset about the DAs “call out” on him and his WRs dropping passes. DA hasn’t earned the right to call anyone out. Like I said once before even Kurt had to prove himself before he could get away with stuff like that.

I got a questions….Do players, Larry for example get any bonuses or incentives when the meet a certain of play? And can Larry be at risk of losing a lot this year if the form of bonuses?

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

RE: Incentives

It can be written into a contract. I don’t believe Fitz has any of those in his current deal. But again, he is basically in a contract year, since the Cards need to re-do his deal before 2011, I would think. In that case, I am sure Fitz would want as strong of a statistical showing as possible.

25. By Judy on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Oh what a tangeled web we weave,when first we practice to decieve.Wiz’s talk about how one QB was doing so well,and how he just wanted to see some more of the other,when he knew he was going to dump the first,just may end up with us losing the best WR we have ever had,maybe the best in the NFL.
    Also i think we should have tried harder to keep Anquan Boldin.

26. By card62 on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Races like this are good for team morale and building your team.
    Injuries happen every day in every way so you can not be afraid to run, jump or just live your life.

I just hope DRC beats all of San Diego’s receivers in all the races this Sunday.

Darren couple of questions for you concerning Fitz.

Larry F. is my favorite Cardinal so I do not wish to see him leave like Boldin. Do you think Larry meant what he said about restructing his deal so the team could keep Boldin, and do you think Larry is upset that the team traded Boldin? Do you think Larry is angry (like I am) over how the quarterback situation was handled after Kurt Warner announced his retirement?
    Thank you and have a great weekend.

27. By Steve in NC on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

What are you hearing from behind the scenes with regards to Fitz and his thoughts about DA? With some of the comments coming from Fitz, it would seem he’s not real high on DA. In line with this, what is Fitz doing to help build that trust and comfort level with DA. Are they only working during practice along with the other receivers or are they spending time after practice watching film, running routes, are they putting in the extra time to get this thing straight? I’m going to go out on a limb here and I’m sure there will be a line waiting to cut that limb out from under me but, it is possible that Fitz might not be the best receiver on this team for DA, it could very well be Doucet or Breaston or Williams or whomever. Bottom line, if the Cards are able to win without Fitz getting his fanatsy numbers, whats the big deal.

28. By Eazy E on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Get Fitz the ball!

29. By Truefan787 on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Do you get sick of responding to Dre’s negative comments in every single blog you post?

The hater train certainly has filled up quckly hasn’t it?

30. By CardinalRED on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

so how long will the Cards wait to start another QB?

31. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Card62, Steve in NC –

RE: Fitz

I think, and this is no slight against Fitz (or Kurt, who said the same thing), that players offering such things are relatively hollow gestures because they know no team will ever ask them to do such a thing. A team would get killed if they took a player up on it.

As for angry, no. Fitz knew it’d be difficult to replace Warner. I think he tried hard to convince Kurt to stay. I think he’s frustrated in his situation. But I also think he believes in Whiz, and that allows him to deal with this at this point.

As for Fitz being the best receiver, well, he is the best receiver. If that doesn’t quite click for Anderson, I am guessing we all know who gets swapped in that equation.

32. By Carddan on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

I have to comment on Fitz’s professionalism. To me it appears he is obviously frustrated, and yet he is not critical of his team or quarterback. Yes, I believe he has a huge ego, but he does not express that in a “me first” attitude. Can he maintain that if things continue as they are? I don’t know, but so far, I have to believe he can. I’m hoping he doesn’t have to. If a rookie has a breakout day, and if DA ever has a good one, then the pressure will be off Fitz. He is what he is, and that is very, very good.

2. Sep 30, 2010: Wells a full participant for Arizona | Fantasy Demon