Wrapping up Friday’s work

Posted by Darren Urban on October 1, 2010 – 1:54 pm

A little late putting out today’s post-practice report, but I needed go see my son give a presentation at school, so if anyone wants to know about Theseus and the Minotaur, let me know. I’ll fill you in (at least on a third-grade level).

In any case …

– The injury report is as expected. LB Paris Lenon (pelvis) was back at practice as expected and will play Sunday. So too will RB Beanie Wells and G Alan Faneca, who practiced fully the last couple of days. And, of course, WRs Steve Breaston and Early Doucet are out.

– Wells said earlier this week he had never been called for facemasking on a stiff arm like he was against Oakland, and he was still trying to figure out earlier this week how he grabbed it. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said earlier this week it was tough to see it on tape. The NFL saw something though, because Wells was dinged with a $5,000 fine for the facemask.

I’ll have a “Friday before …” blog later today.

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Wrapping up Friday’s work”

1. By Secret on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Fill me in on Theseus and the Minotaur Darren! ;)

2. By brad oneill on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

beanies fine was probably a direct result of him complaining about it. i hope he got the message, no grabbing the face mask.

Third grade theseus minotaur story

A young man from cleveland was welcomed to arizona where a great hero had fallen. the man from cleveland had great heart but he could not channel his energy effectively and his wild thrashings left his own men in as much danger as his enemies.

Surprisingly the king determined that heart was more important than discipline so he dismissed the loyal general who had served under the previous hero and was assumed to be the new leader of the army.

This young man charged violently into his first few battles with mixed results. his troops were unorganized and many were lost. the people came to the king and demanded a fair son of the city be instilled as the general.

The king said no. I know his spirit and he is the man to lead us now. The king then sent the young man on an impossible task to defeat the great minotaur who was hidden deep in a treacherous maze. Would the hero find his way through the maze, and if he made it would he slay the creature and return the head of the vanquished beast to the king? or would he be destroyed like so many before him?

I think Derek goes 24 for 36 with two touchdowns this week and the defense finally has a good game rallied by their general.

3. By OLdude on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Wasn’t the Minotaur the Half-bull Half-man creature?? anyway Darren it’s never too late to brush up on your 3rd grade Greek mythology. Re: the “facemask” on Beanie – that was the FIRST one I’d ever seen on the ball carrier and in my opinion an unnecessary one. I think the NFL is getting a little too invasive in terms of some of the calls I’ve seen the past few weeks. I’d like to see how many others agree/disagree with my opinion…………LET ‘EM PLAY!

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

RE: DA and the Minotaur

A fine, fine story. It unfortunately may fall under the myth category as well. Completing 24 of 36 passes is 67 percent. Anderson has achieved that in a game twice in 42 career appearances, the last time Nov. 25 of 2007.

5. By chad d. on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

@ brad oneil, it was a totally legit facemask. it’s easy to get your hand caught in one, he wasn’t grabbing it. how often does a ball carrier get called for that? never. it’s always defense.

6. By Flood on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

That was the worst penalty of the game. DRC’s PI questionable, A-Dub’s personal foul, I can see it but this crap is unacceptable. Folks take sometime out of your day and take a trip down memory lane. In Superbowl 43 we kept a drive alive with 3 personal fouls. One being DRC’s facemask, watch that play again and tell me the receiver is not abusing DRC’s facemask! How many times has LT got some facemask grabs on his THOUSANDS of stiff arms? I have watched more football than my wife would like to admit but I have NEVER seen an offensive facemask on a stiff arm. That call pissed me off more than any other. I hate to spew conspiracy theories but I do like to start controversy so here I go. Does anyone think the Cardinals are getting some lame officiating against them because of SB1070? They want to remove the MLB All-Star game, the Suns wore the Los Suns jersey’s, why not drag the Cards into this? I need an excuse for all this laundry on the field! What do you think, Darren?

7. By brad oneill on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

well it wouldn’t be all that heroic if he did it every week now would it!

8. By firewatch on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

I agree with OLdude on the penalties, especially in the passing game. The NFL has made it next to impossible to play pass defense. All you have to do is sling it out there somehwere and you have a good chance of getting a first down on a penalty. It’s ruining the sport in my opinion. Its giving the officials way too much influence on the outcome of games. The NFL is going the way of the NBA where judgement calls by the officials determine who wins games.

9. By Josh C on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

LOL, Darren laid the “myth” to rest with statistical information. Too funny!

10. By Voice of Reason on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Beanie — keep going after it with that stiff arm, just don’t twist it around. That call won’t be made 99% of the time…

11. By Christopher Freeman on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

brad –
    i think the defence has played well so far this year, except the AZ offence has been putting then into bad position and not allowing them to rest between series because the “O” has been going three and out like its the style. My main issue with the defense is Why do we play such soft coverage with our CBs. I have not seen DRC closer that 5 yards from the defender after the snap of the ball. I k now we dont have press corners, but atleast use the 5 yards from scrimmage to contest opposing WRs.

12. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Flood —

RE: Conspiracy

Um, I’m going to say no on that one.

13. By kingdiamond on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-I guess now that you are the Orcale of Delphi?

14. By ksredbird on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

hey Darren, great work. wheres the big red rage at? and is it easier to do Underground without Paulie’s mustache?

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

kingdiamond —

RE: Mythology

Third grade. Remember third grade.

An oracle tells the future, right? I wish.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

ksredbird —

RE: BRR

First, it was clear the mustache was getting in the way.

As for the Rage, Omo has not yet posted it. Not sure why. That’s out of my hands, although I know there were some technical difficulties last night. Not sure if that impacted the recording.

17. By kingdiamond on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know, you convey much information…

P.S.

Your son must be gifted because I did not learn about mythology until high school.

18. By brad oneill on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

i know whiz hates fatties but he needs to quit hurting the team over weight requirements. how much better would the line be if lutui was in all preseason? do we really need to deactivate a guy like williams over a few pounds?

look get on the guy, make him pay for being fat but dont hurt the whole team over something like this. yes they are better when they arent fat but we need every weapon we have to beat these guys.

19. By Mack on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Is DRC going to be m2m with Floyd or just playing one side. Also is A-Dub going to be m2m with Gates. If he does will Davis still blitz him alot?

20. By MikeG on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– What are your 3 keys to winning in San Diego???
    Mine are:
    1—Rush for over 115 yards!
    2—Win the turnover stat!
    3—Big play from special teams!
    Thanks!–talk to you after the game and enjoy it!!!!!

21. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

kingdiamond —

RE: Son

Indeed, it is such a class, although I’m not sure my 8-year old needs to know this stuff quite yet.

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Overweight

It’s always about the message. If Williams is indeed benched, my guess is the decision is made much easier knowing there is a Gabe Watson waiting to play.

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

RE: Gameplan

Surprisingly, the Cards do not give out such info ahead of time. Something about giving the other team the advantage. That said, DRC is mostly playing one side of the field. I’m not sure Floyd is good enough to change that up. Don’t know what they will do with Gates. I’d think a mix and match.

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Keys to game

They need to win turnovers, yes. They need to pressure Rivers, hopefully with just a four-man rush. And Anderson needs to play more consistent than he has been.

25. By BLOOD RED on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Beanie keep the stiff arm rollin!We love it man,not only do they have to worry about getting ran over but also getting there head knocked off.That is the way to play!So when they go low just keep hurdeling them n when they come in straight up give them the straight left.WE love it keep on keepin on!!ROCK N ROLL REDBIRDS!!!!3-1

26. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, The Minotaur” Can he play QB?? or How’s his Bull-rush??

27. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, speaking of it. How’s your 8yr olds arm??

28. By TBru on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Everybody eat at Blimpie this week, If Beanie gets any kind of micro percentage of sub sales, we can get thing taken care of.

29. By Scott H on Oct 2, 2010 | Reply

It’s time to get Larry Fitzgerald going. NOW. It is just a crime that the best WR in football is being being taken out of our games because our damn QB can’t get him the ball. Enough of this crap. I’m tired of hearing how Fitz isn’t the same player without Boldin on the other side. That is SOOOOOO not true. Anyone who knows the facts knows that Fitzgerald quite often had huge games when Boldin was injured and not playing. Fitzgerald is NOT being affected by no Boldin, and he’s NOT being affected by double teams. I’m quite sure he has faced those before in his career. We’ve seen teams try to do that and we’ve seen Larry beat them anyway. If Fitz IS being affected by anything, it’s the lousy play of Derek Anderson. Period. When Warner was here – an accurate QB who could help his WR’s make plays – Fitzgerald couldn’t be stopped. The drop-off that we are seeing with Fitzgerald is due to the drop-off at QB, period. Well, I’m tired of our best play-maker being basically castrated by our QB. This offense cannot roll without #11 being MUCH more involved than he has been up until now. Either tell Anderson to start getting him the ball or give someone else a chance.

30. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren,hope Redbirds D! rip’s off Ryan Mathews(ankle”)(Do they know witch 1?)

promotion of the fullback-linebacker(Kion Wilson)off practice squad??
    Larry English (foot) and Shawne Merriman (calf) Out

Hightower,Wells,Hyphen All Day””

2. Oct 1, 2010: Wells a full participant for second straight day | Fantasy Demon
  3. Oct 1, 2010: Wells a full participant for second straight day » Feed Me Fantasy
  4. Oct 1, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog
  5. Oct 2, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals RB Beanie Wells Fined $5K For Facemasking Vs Raiders