Chargers aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 3, 2010 – 10:58 pm

Where to begin … I write this about 10:30 p.m., with already some 90 comments on the blog waiting for approval/answers. I haven’t read them quite yet. I can imagine what most say. There will be talk about the quarterback, I’d guess, thank goodness Whiz went to Max Hall, etc. There will be rants about the defense – and honestly, I didn’t see their troubles coming – and the offensive line.

The answers aren’t coming tonight. There are some significant issues to fix (and doing it the week of the Saints game seems a difficult chore). “It’s a bitter taste and no one around here really likes it,” linebacker Joey Porter said. “Now it’s, what do you do to respond?”

– I don’t know what coach Ken Whisenhunt does at QB. As I mentioned a couple of times, I think he’ll tip toward Max Hall. I’m not sure he is convinced Hall is the guy that can win enough to secure a very winnable division, just because Hall is inexperienced and rookies don’t usually perform that way. But as I mentioned in my column, Whiz has talked too many times about missing on big plays (when Anderson was QB) that to see it happen again Sunday on the errant Stephen Williams throw is tough to take.

– The other question is, does Whiz make a decision public before the end of the week? Maybe he does. If he doesn’t, that’d make for one interesting week in front of the media for both players.

– After all that talk about rookie receivers, and they turned out to be kind of moot Sunday because of the quarterback situation and the defensive woes. Max Komar made a big 16-yard catch on the very first drive. Williams got open on the aforementioned bomb attempt but dropped a ball right in his hands later. Again, a mixed bag without much to grade.

– Have to be impressed with how physical of a tackler cornerback Greg Toler is, after he forced the fumble. Much better than I expected him to be.

– Had one offensive lineman ask me, “So, what did you see?” with the play today. No way to know. I know on one of Shaun Phillips’ four sacks, he timed his rush perfect (he was moving as the snap came back) and tackle Brandon Keith – in my opinion – had zero chance to block him. The rest of the sacks, I’d have to look. Guard Alan Faneca looked like he got beat on one, but again, I haven’t broken down any film. When it was as bad as Sunday, I would guess there are multiple issues. And when you are behind big and have no threat to run, that’s a really, really bad way to be judging your pass protection (And no, I am not excusing the line play, before you jump my case).

– Defensive coordinator Bill Davis talked about making changes if need be, and so did Whisenhunt. It’s always a little scary when a player – Darnell Dockett in this case – says the defensive problems were about “want-to.”

“The game is simple,” Dockett added. “The same plays they ran, we practiced. Again, when you practice, you got to put it out there, it’s simple. It’s simple as hell.”

– Did you notice Andre Roberts caught the one punt booted to him? And he returned it 19 yards? So there’s that.

I don’t have much else to add. More tomorrow.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

101 Responses to “Chargers aftermath”

1. By Jimmy Walker on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

What were your thoughts on the holding call that negated the td run by THT. That seemed to be a confidence deflator of DA seeing how he led the team effortlessly down the field.

2. By Jesse Robles on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

All you can do is move forward, if they want it, they will work for it. WE do have the talent, we will see what kind of team we have.

3. By DTisdale75 on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

What can you say. You really don’t want Anderson to throw the ball. He doesn’t have any confidence and he throws the ball so hard. Hall is great but we really need to have a line that will block expecially some tackles they suck……. OFFENSIVE LINE IS THE ANSWER AND GETTING THE DEFENSE SOME REST……..

4. By Havasu Tom on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren, Just got to Havasu from the game. The defense has given up more then 40 points in 4 of the last 6 games including playoffs. It’s time to look at what’s wrong with the D. I believe it starts at Bill Davis. I love the guy, that being said, something is wrong. Whiz made the right choice with the QB switch. We saw several receivers open in the 1st qtr. Not enough Beannie early enough. He needs to be in the mix a little earlier. I haven’t looked at the stats yet, but if we had the ball for 22 minutes, I’d be surprised. The last item was the O line, time to shake it up. I believe there was 7 sacks. Not sleeping well tonight!

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

Jimmy –

RE: Holding call

I have had a couple people say they thought it was a bad call. Still, it doesn’t excuse the decision on the next pass.

6. By Chris Nelson on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

All I want to say is I believe the Max Hall choise was the correct one, we all saw that DA wasn’t getting the job done. And Yes I understand what comes with having a Rookie QB, but at this point I’d rather have a Rookie that can learn from his mistakes and get better, not a Vet. that can’t.

I do appreciate all the feedback you provide from the players, coaches and your own oppions, and can realy only say I’m sory for what you will have to deal with from “fan comment”. I still believe in this coaching staff and 99% of our players, but they need to bring the “want” on sundays or this will be an even longer season that it all ready is.

Again, Thank You Darren for being our “reporter”, I’m sure it gets tireing having people come at you as if your the Coach, GM, or Owner… I look forward to reading and watching/listining to all that gets posted this week as to what needs/is going to happen with Our Arizona Cardinals.

7. By SeeingRed on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

Another joke of a game…One thing I enjoyed seeing today-Whiz questioning B Davis after Gates’ 2nd TD. Whiz looked a bit disgusted and Davis was obviously offering up excuses. I liked seeing Whiz hold his coaches accountable. I never did get a warm and fuzzy when Davis took over. I think it’s time to start shopping for another DC..this is Clancy P bs and Clancy didn’t even have the same talent to work with! I’m tired of the excuses from top to bottom. I think this is clearly a coaching issue especially when player’s say it’s a “want-to” issue. It was also clear these guys were lost on D, completely incompetent on offense and out-coached for the 3rd game this season. U have a week to prepare and u can’t cover 1 guy?????????? they sure found a way to cover Fitz! I think they should take all the captain “C’s” away. Enough with playground games, the a$$ grabbing in the lockeroom…oh, and why is it always a foregone conclusion that if ur down a few scores u can’t run the ball??? u mean we can’t break a long run? screens? u would rather keep letting ur line get ran passed/over/through/by? whatever happened to running the hurry-up offense? why did Beanie not come in until 2nd quarter? TOTALLY A## BACKWARDS TODAY. Coaching staff got too cute in the offseason completely overhauling the O-line and now look at what u have.

8. By MattAZ on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

OK, so the NFL Network is laughing about how open Gates was while doing their post-game. As bad as the o-line/offense was, the defense was the biggest let down by far. 115+ given up in 3 weeks. We know we’re in transition on offense, but with Kerry Rhodes playing like he’s an UPGRADE over Rolle, that means Dansby is the sole difference between a team that did not get blown out last year to one that has 2 blow outs out of 4 games???? WTF? I love Whiz, but I’ve seen a bunch of chatter on forums calling out coaching as the problem this year and I hate the fact that I have to agree.

9. By MattAZ on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

Not to continue the negativity, but why is Wilson put in the position of single covering Gates when even the Republic pregame today called that as a mismatch they need to watch? Billy Davis might consider reading the paper, as media commentators seem to have a leg up on strategy. Sorry for the rant but we just have to much talent for this!

10. By Big Red Wildcat on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, it’s a sure thing that the sellout streak is ending soon. I’m selling my Saints tickets, probably to a Saints fan. I really can’t see driving 2 hours one-way to watch this kind of garbage. GO WILDCATS!

11. By Sean on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

D U,
    Hine site is 20/20, but it wasn’t hard to see this coming with all the bad coaching decisions being made (not just at QB), more & more players quitting on the team & themselves…..I’ve said it in your blogs before, about the bad coaching over the last few years & it’s finally catching up now that there’s no Warner to bail this team out. It’s funny even the sports casters are starting to make mention of the bad coaching now. It’s easy to play when you’re winning, but a true champion shows up when the chips are down; it’s easy to see that a lot of these players are just flat out dogging it. It looks as if they have no faith in their coaching staff, but worse than that, they have no freaking pride in themselves!!! Even though the Cards are one of the cheapest teams in the league (Payroll…4th from the bottom), one would hope that some of these players would be thankful for the opportunity to be in the NFL & leave everything on the field…But this is not the case & that’s the hardest thing about watching this team lose. It’s not that they lose, but how they lose! The Leinart/DA decision is a microcosm of the Whisenhunt staff that was covered up during the Warner years…I’m just curious where Whiz will hide now?? He needs to shake things up with the coaching staff & players; he should start by firing Billy Davis & bringing in an offensive coordinator! We were so out coached! I understand we got behind & had to pass, but we abandoned the run waaay too early, especially since it was our best weapon at the time! BTW, Faneca sux…another bad coaching decision! I will leave on a high note about Whiz, as I agreed with him bringing in Hall at the end of the 2nd qtr…Now I just hope he sticks with him! If we’re going to lose, I would much rather do it knowing that we’re giving our possible future QB experience, instead of wasting our time on a career 50% passer with no confidence!

12. By az1965 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Re: Bill Davis making changes if need be
    “if need be”??? Hmm… The biggest defensive change is firing Bill Davis ASAP!

13. By az1965 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Havasu Tom:
    There were NINE sacks! Ridiculous and pathetic. BTW, Russ Grimm needs to be fired as well. We are paying him too much money to get this kind of garbarge returns.

14. By Sean on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

DU,
    Do you think the team would bring in Warner as a QB coach for Hall & Skelton? If so, Do you think Warner would do it?

15. By Jedihillis on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

It’s hard to know what to make of this game other than the obvious. (we were crushed). Looking past that, I agree that the defensive issues have to be put on Bill Davis. It’s hard for me to believe the D just went out there and didn’t try. I know that’s what the players are saying, but they’re not going to turn it back on a coach they respect. The D just looked lost and confused. This was especially evident in A-Dub’s play. I’ve never seen him so out of position. Could that be his fault? Maybe once or twice, but he was consistently getting beat to the punch.

Don’t even get me started on the line. Both sides of the ball just got absolutely worked. The O-line has had their struggles, but I expect much much more out of our D. Just embarrassing that there wasn’t even a punt until the 4th.

16. By stew on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

something MUST be done about our O-line also our D is in shambles players are far too open and the run has to be stopped.The teams were beating, were barely beating. Not to mention, let’s be honest, there not even super bowl contenders really and the teams we needa to be beating were getting completely embarrassed by. if we want to be taken seriously in this league we’ve got to bring it against teams we’ll see in the playoffs. Soooo LET’S GO CARDS….c’mon boys WE GOT this!!

17. By Cali Mark on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren this is how I fix the cards problems.
    1) The Defense: The cards just dont have the personal to run the 3-4 defense. Porter and Haggens are both situational pass rushers at best and need to be replaced. A four man front of Dockett Campbell ,Iwebema and Branch will get more pressure and will be more stout versus the run. The three linebackers should be Lenon, Washington and Adrian Wilson. Yes, I said Wilson at linebacker and this is why. Wilson is a great hitter/ tackler, and a pass rusher and plays his best football while in the box so leave him there. He is not so good at covering tightends and has been burned a bunch of times over the past year. Rhodes and Ware will be the safties.
    2) The offensive line: Faneca needs to be a back-up. There are reasons the Jets let him go and he is a liability at pass blocking. Rex Hadnot is better/meaner and appears to be very mobile based on his play in the preseason. Now Brandon Keith also seems overwhelmed and maybe Jermey Bridges can replace him. It is not a great fix but what choice do the cards have.
    3) Quaterback: Derek Anderson is not going to win the cardinals the superbowl so why have him in there. Max Hall is smarter more accurate
    and if he outplays the veteran Anderson now as a rookie maybe he can develope into a quality quaterback.
    4) Coaching: I think Whiz is a great coach and leader of the team, but for some reason if something doesnt go right like a penalty that voids a TD the team colapses, and this has happended time and time again. I just dont get it. Players need to be called out, for their poor play.
    IMO

18. By Victor G on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I think we start with the Online to block take out Brandon Keith and put Jeremy Bridges and if Fanica is not blocking on pass protect pull him also. Then Mall Hall as a Starter give him a chance just because he was not drafted come on. Next the Defense needs changes now to stop the run and pass let’s get ur done K Whiz

19. By RichUK on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Before people start saying cutting Leinart was a mistake, I just want to say it wasn’t. You are only able to say it was a mistake because Leniart hasn’t thrown a pass on our offense. He would most likely be just as intolerable as Anderson, and in pre-season, Anderson clearly looked better (for us).

Can somebody call the police because the O-Line and D-Line are missing.

20. By John on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Is Whiz still saying he likes the improvement he is seeing with DA? Why did every person alive other then the Cards staff know this was a terrible decision? I don’t wanna hear about the offensive line or the defense doing this or that. The bottom line is this game is based on motivation and momentum, and that all starts with the QB. This season is a wasted year thanks to the poor staff decisions in the off-season. I hope for next year they keep Whiz, fire Rod Graves and look outside the team for a quality QB who can be a true leader for next year or it’s pointless to even watch.

21. By Brad O'Neill on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

adrian wilson can’t cover gates, we knew it going in, they reminded us early and then they reminded us again. i hope someone took notes.

Our offensive line has not improved, something is very wrong and its going to get whoever the lucky qb is hurt.

Derek better cherish any opportunity he receives because you don’t here about 3rd chances in the nfl.

I totally agree with whiz running it even when we were behind. We needed to put a drive together and score a touchdown, the game was lost at that point and the biggest thing he needed to do was restore some confidence in the offense. of course we still failed to score a touchdown but i believe that was the reason for running 1st and 2nd down despite being obliterated in the score.

ps how many 80 yard throws do we have for touchdowns this year. ok then running might be the smart thing to do anyway.

hooray for roberts, hooray for komar, hooray for toler. Toler was great even when he gave whiz indigestion by leaving his man and sacking the quarterback.

russ grim and bill davis need to have a coaches only meeting one on one with whiz and be held accountable. I am not calling for their jobs i just think they need to show why they have failed until this point and what their plan is too get different results.

is it time for someone other than whiz to call the plays?

if whiz fires himself from play calling then he will be able to accept the responsibility for the failure of the team and absorb some of the negative energy thus protecting the players. this will also allow him to spend more time figuring out what is right with the team without having to implement the small fixes trying to repair it. He will no longer have to second guess himself which frees him up to be critical of the things coaches need to be critical of.

22. By Mack on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

What gets me is that, as i listened to the commentary they said that there had been 11 touchdowns nullified due to penalties so far this year, and i think the Cardinals have had 3 of those (at least 2). We need to work out these penalties, especially on big plays. Apart from other things its bad for morale.

Some silver lining though: Due to the fact that the Sea Hawks lost to the Rams and the Rams lost to us in week 1, we are now ranked first in the NFC West. For one week at least.

23. By Jerrytown on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Just wanted to share an amusing observation I made at the cards raiders game. I noticed at one of the shops selling jerseys in the stadium that they had a whole rack of Anderson jerseys! Seriously? Someone made a huge error in judgement by wasting perfectly good cards jerseys by putting anderson’s name on them. I can’t imagine they have even sold one because let’s be honest, everybody knew he wouldn’t finish the season as the starter. And even if he did, who would waste their money to rep a mediocre cardinal player when there were wells, drc, Wilson and dockett jerseys being sold right next to them? Incredible

24. By Darthcard on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

At this point I think the buffalo bills would beat us by 14. I’ve seen just as bad teams from the cardinals. This makes us all sick and our only consolation is hopefully the 1st overall pick. Do I want the cards to turn it around? Yes. Do I want the shame of picking 1st overall? Yes this team is terrible and they need it. Will I shut off the tv and not even bother watching the NFL (til next year) if the rams win the NFC west. Yes. Darren do you think there can be a shuffling with coordinators? Truthfully it’s like we are watching a scripted game. We are watching the harlem globe trotters. Except we are the team that gets made a fool of.

25. By Jzoully on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we need change if we want a three-peat. A. No linebacker pressence, we are seriously lacking physicality. I know its probably a difficult choice. But what are the chances we sign a linebacker who could maybe help Paris Lenon. No offense to Daryl but he looked confused on his assignments most of the time. B. Could Jeremy Bridges start over Brandon Keith, the line is lacking. And Brandons footwork seems off. C. When I was watching the game, they said that the penalties have doubled since last year. And in my opinion there are too many things leading me to think that the refs aren’t letting the players play. What do you think?

26. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Horrible.

I can’t believe that we the fans pay to watch that. If it were not for the game being a late game, I would have not gotten to watch any NFL quality football today.

That is an insult to NFL football. Great! Another Arizona Cardinals season where 50% of the gameas are over before the 2nd quarter.

Horrible. Break out the paper bags, cause this is going to get ugly.

I have no faith this team will do anything against the Saints. The Cardinals are very lucky not to be 0-4, and are playing like they should be 0-4.

Whiz has had his oppourtunity to go shopping for the gorceries this year, and if this is the dinner we will be eating for the season…….. then call Dominos!

Ugh….. Horrible. Leianrt, Courtney Brown, Reggie Wells, etc., etc.

Going to be a loooooong season.

27. By Eric on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Fire Bill Davis. His schemes are pathetic and predictable. We get no pressure on the QB and they have given up over 30 pts in 5 the last 7 regular and postseason games and over 40 pts in 4 of those games. That is just truly pathetic.

28. By Tyrelle on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

If anybody needs to be gone, it is Davis. I didn’t watch the game and thank god I did not. Revamp that whole OL starting with Keith. The dude is PATHETIC. Let Max Hall work with the 1st team in practice. We need a decent NT. Linebackers are pathetic and Porter is number 1.

29. By Bean on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The defense would look a ton better if they weren’t on the field 35 minutes a game. I was thinking last night that Kurt Warner may have been our best defensive player as well. Even up time-of-possession and I bet the defense improves.

Good luck with THAT this week.

30. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Did Dockett play in this game? I didn’t see the game up here in Wisconsin (fall colors beckon weekend road trip).

Dockett’s name isn’t mentioned in the box score. Did 9-0 go 0-0-0?

31. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Fortunately, Faneca’s contract is for only one year. Unfortunately, Anderson’s is for two. Hopefully though, the Cards won’t owe Anderson a dime for 2011 if they cut him after this season.

32. By Mailand on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren.
    Have to ask. You know what Whiz saw in Derek when he went for him. Being a Pro Bowler for one year dosn´t make him great for more than that year. I know Warner also had bad season´s in the past, but a SB ring is a credential you can´t question. Cutting Leinart and only having rookies as backups, dosn´t sound right in my ears.
    But still – in Whiz we trust – (and now also in Hall)

33. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I’m waiting this week to hear Whiz and some of the players say, “We’ve always responded well to losses like this.” If I do, then something’s seriously wrong.

The Cardinals have been in the habit of doing only enough to stay ahead of the competition in football’s weakest division the past two years. I firmly believe that the improved competition from the Rams and Seahawks (and eventually the 49ers) will finally force this team and coaching staff to work harder than they ever have, to take nothing for granted, and to make hard decisions when losses like this force them to take a hard look in the mirror.

The days of the Cards being able to nonchalantly dismiss losses because they are one game up on a .500 team finally appear to be coming to an end.

34. By clssylssy on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

What happened today a blind man could have seen coming. I agree with Docket
    it’s a moral issue. We have the talent but there is a pervasive sense of apathy that is all consuming. Our defense is better than it was yesterday. Anderson was a sacrifical lamb and I won’t even go there as I’m sure coach is kicking himself for that one enough. The Saints aren’t playing as well as they were but are going to kill us unless we get our”issues” resolved in a hurry. The good news is that the 9ers are 0-4 and worse than we are, but than can change,
    St. Louis could be the real threat in the division. We need this W agaomst tje Saints to regain our focus and keep us in the hunt. RISE UP RED SEA!!! GO CARDS!!

35. By disappointed_card on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

It is now almost confirmed that QB shakeup and letting Leinert go looks foolish and ego-centric. This is Whiz first crisis and a big mistake. He better come out of it. However, the defense looks very bad. Something is wrong with that defense. They need to start running more.

36. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Where to start.

Let’s begin with Bill Davis’ defensive game plan: “Whatever you do, don’t cover Antonio Gates. (Maybe he’ll go away). Brilliant!

Next (& with appropriate props to Paris Lenon and Kerry Rhodes), the following may seem harsh, but it seems to me that a number of our established veterans along with a couple of high-profile guys we brought in, are living on their reputations (starting with A-Dub and including Joey P, Alan F and even the normally energetic Calais C. (Watch tape of that first Tolbert touchdown run and see how many Cardinal defenders ran themselves out of the play – away from the hole).

Another way to look at it is that Murphy’s law (whatever can go wrong will) took hold yesterday. Everything we feared (DA’s inconsistency, M Hall’s greenness, DWash’s rookiness, D-Dock’s proclivity for jumping offsides etc. etc. etc. – all of them happened. (Meanwhile, the converse, – anything that can go right, might go right – never happened.

Right now the Cardinals are an 0 & 4 team who lucked into being 2 & 2. (That’s who they are – and it ain’t fun).

37. By Secret on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

ahhhhhhhhhh man…. here comes the red sea of complaining…

38. By joe67 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow! Rookie q back, no O-line, no D-line, no L-backers, backfield that leave receivers wide open constanly, D-coordinater that looks lost………..HEY, I think we got the Saints right where we want them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At least special teams have done pretty well, and actually the running game is doing okay, when they get half a chance.

I still think, somehow, we will come out of this, and be okay. This has turned into a pretty good orginzation. Everyone makes mistakes sometime.

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Sean –

RE: Warner as coach

As I have said many, many, many times, Warner has zero interest in coaching. I even wrote about it a couple of times when Kurt was still playing and he said it himself.

40. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darthcard –

RE: Coordinators

I would doubt there would be shuffling in-season, but at this point, I’m not ruling anything out.

41. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: Questions

1) With Washington, this is why Whiz hesitates to play rookies. Everyone gets in an uproar when he won’t, and then they play and make rookie errors and people wonder why. They are going to stick with Washington now.
    2) Bridges might get in there, but again, Keith is a younger player and they are dealing with young mistakes.
    3) Penalties weren’t the problem in San Diego.

42. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Mailand –

RE: DA

This is going to sound bad now, but at the time, I think Derek was the anti-Matt. I think that’s what he saw.

43. By AZgray on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I was wondering if the other teams are now blitzing more than they have the past two season now that Warner is not the QB to read if a blitz is comeing and autible out of it cause he made the O-line look good the past two years doing it

44. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Azgray –

RE: Blitzes

I do think defenses have blitzed more knowing Anderson/Hall aren’t going to make them pay as much as Warner did.

45. By george on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

ok look im an up beat guy but we need some work done asap so if kurt ant coming back the we need to look to the ufl sighn d c an j g culpepper an garcia give them 2 year contracts an hope we can repeat what we did a few years ago when we had kurt

46. By TucsonTim on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Docket says it’s about “want to”!?

It’s not practical to bring in a Defensive Coordinator mid season. Give Henderson a shot at it. Darren if you can stomach watching a replay of the game, listen to how many times the commentators say the defense looks confused. Even the worst players shouldn’t let receivers be open by 10+ yards.

From everything I’ve read about Henderson, he’s a firey guy who isnt short on “want to”. He’s been a DC. He knows the personnel. I’m just amazed that Whiz has taken this long.

47. By MikeG on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Tough game for the Cards yesterday! I did not expect a win – but I certainly wanted to see improvement. Tough to go to SD with 3 rookie receivers. It’s a non division game so certainly not a killer loss in the standings.
    At this point stopping the run has to be a big concern. All 4 games we gave up heavy yards in the run game. I really think playing Robinson is hurting the Cards. You can’t certainly pin it on one guy–but he is being dominated. Dockett is being double-teamed because no respect for our nose tackle-he’s being handled one on one. Fans can’t over-react–this team is going through growing pains right now– we have alot of new personnel at different positions. Bottom line we are 2-2 & we have to get ready for the Saints. After Rhodes tied it– –we needed to stop them on the next drive and we couldn’t. I still think we will be fine–we have to be 3-3 after our first six!!! Teams seem to be isolating a receiver on Adrian Wilson with alot of success. Why is that??? Bad Scheme?? No pass rush??

48. By Trey G on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I was at the game in SD and the one thing I really noticed other than the obvious was the size of the holes the charger O line was creating. They seemed to be able to run the ball at will and got about 6 yards or more a pop. On the flip side it seemed our running backs were trying to squeeze through virtually nothing.
    Another thing I am curious about is, if Antonio Gates has the great first half that he did, then why don’t you try and shut him down? After all he really is pretty much the only threat down field after the loss of Vincent Jackson.

49. By RED BIRD 66 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The Cards better pull theit heads out quick or we will be hearing ” AND WITH THE 1ST PICK IN THE 2011 DRAFT THE CARDINALS PICK—?.” So now that Dockett got his money he is done. Pathetic our 2 guys we gave huge contracts too are playing horrible. No tackles from Dockett and Wilson couldn’t cover Gates even if he had a broken femur. All this talk about DRC being a shutdown corner is a joke, the only shutdown is in his play. Toler is way better than DRC right now.

50. By sean p on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren…so just a hypothetical question about defensive schemes… in a typical 3-4 your linebackers are your studs, they are the playmakers, now, since we seem to have more talent along the defensive line, wouldn’t it seem to fit the typical 4-3 alignment more? It seems that we have 4-6 decent defensive linemen, and maybe 3 decent linebackers… it just seems that the philosophy hampers the talent that they have….now i know theres no way you make a change midseason like that…just a thought going into next year

51. By RM42 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

As Cards fans we must admit the pre-season predictions all true. Losing Warner, Boldin, Dansby and Rolle was too much to overcome, especially when they are replaced with rookies or less talented players. Rhodes replacing Rolle is the only player close in expereince and talent that is worth having a conversation about.
    Where do we go from here? Replace Washed Up Faneca with Hadnot. Replace poor footwork B. Keith with J. Bridges. Pick up an unemployed veteran WR. Replace DA with Hall. On Defense fire B. Davis. Let D. Williams play at NT, bench D. Washington with R. Walker or an unemployed vet.

Two of the Cards FA signings turns out to be two washed up players, Porter and Faneca. At the rate Porter is playing he won’t collect 5 sacks over a 16 game season.

52. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Fortunately, this team has proven that they play best when their backs are up against the wall and everyone is saying they can’t.

Unfortunately, there are 12 games left in the season and nothing will be pressing regarding a playoff spot until a couple of months from now. And nobody is dismissing the Cards and saying they can’t win the division because San Francisco is 0-4, St. Louis has a rookie QB, and Seattle has a new coach who hasn’t won in the NFL.

Some of the talking heads in the media better start trouncing on the Cards, otherwise there isn’t going to be the chip on their shoulder – the only real successful motivational tool for this team over the past two years.

It’s time for the Cards players to start playing the game because they want to win games, win respect, and win big new contract extensions and to stop playing the game at their highest level only when somebody says they can’t.

53. By dmface on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Not sure why “all of a sudden” people are complaining about he defense!! The defense has been the issue for the past 3 years!!! When Warner retired last year AND the Cards did not go after McNabb, Vick, or any other decent QB; I knew the Cards were not going to win the division (by looking at the schedule). It does not take a scientist to figure that one out. Personally, I really don’t think the Cards organization wants to succeed. For the most part to continue a winning tradition, you have to go out and get winners. Instead they let winners go: Danby, Boldin and brought in losers..DA. It is pathetic but not surprising at all. I have one thing to continue to look for since I live in Vegas: bet against the cards and take the over. So far I am up 2 grand.

54. By Scott H on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Well, here is a quote from Mike & Mike this morning on ESPN Radio, speaking of the QB situation in Arizona – “They have the worst QB situation in the NFL right now and they did it to themselves.” THAT is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And to that, I have nothing to add. It doesn’t even matter when Whiz makes his decision or what decision he makes. It’s pretty simple. He can stay with a stiff who we know is just plain lousy or he can turn the season over to a rookie and we can see what happens. At this point, I vote for the rookie whether it be Hall or Skelton. What have we got to lose? The season??? That looks lost already. I’m more than OK with gettting a look at one of the young guys at this point. I really won’t mind if Anderson doesn’t take another snap this year. Honestly, what’s the point??? But the guys at ESPN nailed it this morning with their comments. This has been a total botch job and it’s on the coaches and the organization.

55. By Bill L on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Is Matt Failing to LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED this team…….oh, he’s not here. So now Whiz has given away his only NFL QB for nothing…….and it turns out Matt wasn’t the Problem……….OOOOOOPS!!! So where are the Cards;

1. O-Line Stinks……bad talent……bad coaching…….bad schmes. If they ever do get another NFL QB they had better have fixed the O-Line FIRST. Grimm is a complete failure…….Faneca was a Joke……on and on. If this is not FIXED starting NOW, the Cards will stink forever. It will probably take atleast 2 years, with someone who is COMPETENT in charge. First step FIRE Grimm. Second step HIRE someone who is COMPETENT………..that might scare Whiz……but, NO CHANCE without doing it.
    2. QB stinks…….snappiness or other DREAMED UP intangibles aside, the Cards NOW have NO NFL QB…….thank Whiz for that. Thanks SOLELY to the Division the Cards are in……they probably will get NO SHOT at Luck. Heck, if they did, staying at Stanford would be a better choice for him, unless he has a death wish(see #1). Throw DA and the Rookies to the wolves, this year and next while the O-Line is fixed. Look for a real QB in 2012 draft.
    3. Put all coaches on Notice, after Firing Grimm, Perform or be Fired…..but, can we trust Whiz to bring in COMPETENT coaches. This guy ibviously has problems with stong opinioned people(see Matt), especially when they disagree. IMO, Whiz has to go………He Can’t/Won’t fix this mess……he actually created it.
    Well, there is a start, will it be done…….doubt it…….Cards will end in a Downward spiral and be among the worst in the NFL for years and years……WATCH the coaching staff……when that begins to change for the BETTER, hope can bloom in the Valley of the sun again.

56. By Unzipped on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

This is Tyler Durden…..would you describe Derek Anderson’s play on Sunday as “hot or cold”? Maybe a better question is what part of his game was hot or cold? Also, Tell Paul C that Anderson really did look like Aaron Rodgers out there on Sunday. The Aaron Rodgers that works the fryer at Burger King in Scottsdale.

I think you should give the pills you wanted me to take to Derek Anderson….he’s going to need ‘em this week.

-Tyler

57. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a fan of this team since their days in St. Louis and I can tell you this is a bad football team. The 2-2 record is a mirage, don’t kid yourself this team is bad. This division is winnable? Not for this team it isn’t. Ask yourself why no team wanted DA as a F/A. Ask yourself why every team passed on Hall, Williams and Komar in the draft…the answer in every case is that they aren’t very good. Anderson didn’t win the QB job in camp, it was given to him. He is terrible. The defense is a joke, the offensive line is horrible and we could easily be 0-4. I didn’t thinkit could get any worse than the Atlanta game, but it did. That’s 2 times in 3 weeks we’ve looked like the worst team in the NFL….The division is winnable? One of the other three teams can win it but not this one.

58. By Peter in Canada on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Matt Leinart is looking better with every game according to some posters. The truth is he was not the answer. He was no better than a back up and in his few appearances last year he wasn’t even very good at that. While his sudden fall from grace was surprising given the coach’s apparent support, I think it was done for a reason. Whatever one says about Whiz he didn’t suddenly become an idiot. I don’t think the truth will ever come to light but will stay behind closed doors. Picking up DA appears to have been a big mistake but the only other options were McNabb and Bulger. McNabb was probably too expensive and did not fit the Card scheme. Darren, I appreciate the job you are doing in these obviously difficult times.

59. By Blair on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Looks like us cards fans are going to be partying like its 1999 this season. I bet graves is wishing he would have extended Dansby early or when he did make an offer make one for a top tier linebacker that he is. And what was up with wilson in man coverage the last two games? You would expect gates to get open a few times but that was ridiculous. And then the tight end from oakland did the same thing to him last week. Maybe if they lay an egg to the saints like they have to every single respectable team they have played a quarter through the seaon maybe they should think about moving back to sun devil stadium.

60. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Somebody tell me how a defense can leave Antonio Gates wide open all day…Yeah I know the guy is a great talent, that’s why you game plan for him. It would be more understandalbe if we were stacking to stuff the run but a converted fullback ran all over our defense too. I say again this team is bad and if anybody really believes that the return of Breaston and Doucet is going to change anything they are wrong. Even if the offense were to improve with those two back this is one of the worst defenses I can rememeber…and the best receivers in the world don’t make much of an impact if your QB can’t get the ball to them.

61. By Greg on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

That was sad i mean as soon as we got called for holding it seemed as if DA just gave up. Then after the Defense realized this they gave up too if one person on a team does nothing nobody else feels like they have to do their job but we cant keep DA out front leading this team back into the black hole that we in AZ have been in for the past twenty years

62. By joe on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

im not a coach in the nfl so let me phrase this as a question. Why was the play calling so bad? If they are getting pressure and beating our O-line so horrendously why not just do a couple of screen plays to the hyphen he abviously has talent in space that slows the pass rush down. But instead we just kept dropping back and back and back. This is a talented team Rhodes rodgers cromartie adrian wilson and greg “is a man ” toler have looked great we know waht cambel and dockett are capable of washington is obviously talneted we know our rb’s are more than capable our recievers even the rookies can get it done only question is at qb and o line but if thats our only problem we should still be scoring td’s and moving the ball and leaving our d in bad feild position all night and on the field all night so people can put up 40 points on them this is pure and simple coaching

63. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

One issue that really perplexes me is the notion that DA won this job with his play in camp/preseason. I find it difficult to believe that he looked any better than he does now. To go into the season with Anderson as your starter and two rookies, one of which wasn’t even drafted as your back ups is ridiculous. You might as well flush the season. To all those screaming for Max Hall, I understand because Anderson is just terrible but did you see Hall yesterday? He isn’t an NFL QB. I know the circumstances yesterday were not ideal but why do you suppose every other team in the league passed on him? I also agree with the idea that a lot of our players on the defensive side are living on their reputation.

64. By Dave George on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Maybe it’s time to consder a switch to the 4-3 defense. We are not deep or strong at linebacker and maybe a four man front will help our pass rush and run defense. Maybe the 4-3 will bring a D-Coordinator who can see that we can’t stop any tight ends!

65. By Mike Ellingboe on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Any talk of converting the defense to a different base? If we look at our history (albeit brief) in the 3-4 it’s been pretty painful. As odd as it may sound on the surface, when I look at our personnel we seem better suited to a 5-2.

Anyways, the Whiz has righted some very wayward ships before so I’m confident he’ll do it again.

66. By neil on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

we are so desperate to find an identity. forcing passes, forcing run plays ( holding penalties on all runs for touchdowns). we just need to find out what works for this team offensively to keep the defense off the field. the defensive issues is nothing more than just poor play calling. we have all the talent on the field but not on the sidelines. fair assumptions urban?

67. By cowboysuck on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

how about the cards get somebody that knows how the steeler defense works. year in and year out, no matter what the players, steelers play every team tough. steelers aren’t going to give up dick labeau, but there must be somebody that knows his philosophy, considering the whisenhunt/grimm connections.

68. By cactus jeff on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Linebacker play is absolutely killing them. Here is something radical, play the Vikings/Giants 4-3 scheme and bench Porter and Hagans?

69. By Tyrelle on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Why did Porter call a meeting at 1st and he can’t stop the run to save his life. But this team will soon see, when they start playing in front of an empty stadium. Fitz is going to be hollering for a trade if stupid Whiz does not get a QB quick. Davis needs to be fired or bench half of these players who aren’t doing there job.

70. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

MikeG –

RE: Targeting Adrian

As Whiz said yesterday, it’s a little of everything right now.

71. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

RE: Defensive alignment

They aren’t going to change that in-season. Too big of a process. Whiz has long been a 3-4 guy coming from Pitt too.

72. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Neil –

RE: Defense

At this point, I don’t know how you could put it all on the play calling or all on the players. Doesn’t it have to be both?

73. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

How does ADUB feel getting lit up an smoked up by Gates? Fire in the Hole!

74. By neil on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Well not really…… the actions of one affects the others. I’m sure if the defense hadn’t played as many snaps as they have (which I think is the most in the NFL right now defensivley) that our guys on d would be even more fresh than they are now and could execute plays better and be more efficiant. If the offense does their job ultimately our d gets more rest is all I was trying to say. And with the play calling……I think Billy Davis needs to spend more time watching film and prepairing match ups better when calling a play. And I have to touch on the qb situation…..how much worse is it going to get with Max hall out there? Worse comes to worse he is going to be another Anderson. But at least we would be able to mold him into a franchise QB. Your thoughts urban? Btw stories are great. Always on my phone at work reading the stories over and over again. Good work!

75. By John on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Just curious, where should all of us fans send in our applications to be the new defensive coordinator? There is no way on earth any one can defend this team’s defensive performance when we have 5-6 past, present and future probowlers on it (9-0, AW, DRC, CC, JP, Rhodes). Every run play, there are multiple holes the size of the pacific ocean, every reception there is not one defender on the TV screen. Whiz needs to send a message to the staff/team that no one’s job is safe. He says the “best players will play” but how do the worst coaches get to coach? At least when Clancy was here we stopped the run. The scoreboard in UOP better have the visitors lights working this week because the saints could hit triple digits.

76. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Talk of molding Hall into a franchise QB makes me laugh. Hall is an undrafted F/A, I don’t believe he has the talent to be a franchise QB. This franchise has been one of the worst in all of sports, the last two seasons were a very welcome respite from that distinction. However two of the last three weeks this team has looked like the worst team in the NFL, now there is talk that the players are quitting. Wow! All I know is that the team didn’t look ready to play in Atlanta or San Diego and that falls on Whiz. The talent isn’t really there with this team no matter what some think but a coach needs to make sure his team is ready to play.

77. By Klatu Berata Nicto on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Nine sacks! Thats more sacks than the QB had completions! San Diego is for real.

78. By SeeingRed on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Big Red WIldcat

As one to another..don’t sell your tickets-especially to a Saints fan. I totally agree that we have seen garbage on the field but the fans may be the only thing that can inspire this team-the coaches sure as hell can’t.

I used to drive up from Tucson to see the Cards play at Sun Devil Stadium and have to stomach the opposing team’s arrogant fans…let’s not go back to those times.

79. By Cali Mark on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone know that back-up linebacker Travis Laboy who has two sacks would lead the cards in that category.

80. By Casey on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

RE: Beanie

This may have already been noted in one or more of the 75 comments above, but I think it’s time for someone to seriously question the role of Beanie on this team.

You have said yourself that it doesn’t matter whether Beanie starts or not because he’s going to get more carries. I completely disagree. It makes a HUGE difference whether Beanie starts or not. He is the 2nd best offensive weapon on this team, and not allowing him to impact the game from the start, is just a huge, huge mistake for this team. Beanie has the raw talent to change the complexion of games from the start.

Hightower is a nice complimentary RB, but please, let’s stop the non-sense that he has “earned” his starting position. We can all see the difference between Beanie and Hightower, plain as day. Just for once- one time, please- I want to see Beanie start and minimally get 25-30 carries. I really, really believe this guy can change games by himself. But he can’t do it with only 10-15 carries entering the game in the 2nd quarter when it’s already out of hand.

This isn’t a criticism of Hightower as much as it is just acknowledging the absolutely special talents of Beanie. I honestly think the guy can dominate a game by himself. With 30 carries, I think he could have a 200-yard game and almost single handedly beat a good team by keeping our pathetic defense off the field.

We’ve all been thinking- yourself and Wolf as well on the podcasts- that at some point, this team is going to become more of a smash mouth running team given the issues at QB, WR and on defense. 4 games in and we still haven’t seen it. I realize Beanie was out Weeks 1 & 2, but he appears to be 100% now. But there is only so much the guy can do with so few carries and not getting his chance until the 2nd quarter- is that really part of the game plan?

I don’t know, I’m just exasperated with this team keeping one of it’s best players on the sideline. Beanie is a horse, a game changer, a beast. Feed him the ball!

Thanks,
    Casey

81. By brad oneill on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

our line was bad when warner was at quarterback. It didnt get worse Warner was just fast enough getting the ball out to compensate for it some of the time.

82. By nor cal cards fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Let’s not sugar coat it..the whole team stinks right now. Urb- i have been trying to put off asking you this question for a couple weeks, but after yesterdays debacle, i can’t put it off anymore. Let me preface it by saying that i realize you are probably pretty close with AW based on the fact you have known him and covered him since he was a rookie. Also, you traveled with him back to his hometown in North Carolina and covered his jersey ceremony, met his family and friends etc, so obviously he thinks highly of you and respects you. So i guess what i’m trying to say is, i understand you can’t come on here and talk bad about him and how he has played, but i am just looking for an honest opinion from you when i ask this…And as a die hard fan, i’m serious as a heart attack right now. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ADRIAN WILSON? HE IS HAVING A HORRIBLE SEASON.ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Yes, i understand the whole defense sucks right now, it’s not all AW’s fault, there’s no pass rush, blah blah blah. Adrian’s performance and effort has been PATHETIC the last three weeks. He couldn’t cover a solid TE in pass coverage if his life depended on it. You know it, I know it, and everybody on here knows it. The difference is, you can’t say it, and we can. He looked like he was half asleep yesterday Urb.What is the deal? Every time he tried to blitz, instead of running towards the QB, he stood there and played patty cakes with the RB assigned to block him. You had to have seen it. He has TWO good plays this whole season so far, and that was the pick and the sack in week 1 against a rookie Qb making his NFL debut behind a shoddy o-line. How has he looked the last 3 weeks against veteran quarterbacks? That was a rhetorical question. He stated a couple weeks ago that the defense was in the tank, and he was in the tank. I think he was being partially sarcastic when he said that, but it ain’t a sarcastic joke anymore is it. HE IS IN THE TANK. And u should tell him the entire fan base has noticed. Is he dealing with personal issues that are distracting him? Has he lost faith in Billy Davis? I know u don’t have all the answers Urb, but is there an explanation? He is not playing like the A Dub we all know and love. As a captain, he should be completely ashamed and embarrassed by the way he played yesterday, and if he’s not, therein lies the problem.

83. By Dan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Bill Davis had absolutely no clue what was going on. I mean he was totally lost and looked the part too. I see Dockett had 0 tackles, how does that happen? Our whole D-line is getting blown off the ball and I can’t figure that out. Are our inside LBs just not making plays? If not, when is Gerald Hayes coming back?

84. By Justin on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

To the Players: Do you even care? You make millions of dollars doing what you love. You become heroes for all of the kids, both young and old, watching you play. If football is your love and your life, then how can you accept playing so poorly at it? Some of you looked lost, some of you looked uninterested, but all of you, at one time or another, looked bad. We expect and deserve better.

To the Fans: Sell your tickets, go and spend the rest of this season’s Sundays with your family or friends. Watching the Cardinals the rest of this season would be a waste of your time and money. The owners don’t care about what’s best for the team. Profit is their only interest. Look at the vast majority of their personal moves and you’ll see what I mean. I’ve been a Cardinal fan for all of my life, through thick and thin, and for the first time in a long time, I’m going to take my girlfriend out to eat next Sunday afternoon.

To the Management: Release Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes, DRC, Toler, Beanie Wells, and Max Hall. At least give them a chance to not be held back by a sloppy, badly managed, mistake-ridden team. The leaders that you let go in the offseason, coupled with the players you brought in; coupled with the players you didn’t bring in, shows your ineptitude. The fact that you charge fans the money that you do to come and see the football that you play should be a crime. This coaching staff should not be blindly trusted; they’ve mostly capitalized off of players the previous administration brought in. The penalties, turnovers, and lack of effort is a reflection of their bad coaching.

85. By jocards on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey

I completely agree that Wells needs to be the starter and as long as he’s in game shape he needs to carry it 25-30 times a game. I like Hightower and he is capable of contributing but he should be a compliment to Wells, not be playing ahead of him. Our line is terrible, our QB worse….our big gun Fitzgerald is not going to do much damage with our current QB’s, Wells is our best option to me. The defense is horrible and needs to be off the field as much as possible and perhaps Beanie can help keep them on the sideline.

86. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal –

RE: Adrian

If it makes you feel better, Adrian ripped himself in the locker room today. I will blog about it in a bit.

87. By Fitzgirl11 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

allright soo the cards decide to stay in az instead of showing up in san diego.. we stink it up in san diego pretty much get blown out the water it was just ugly…now everbodys a coach?they should do this n’ that n’ ther other i bet its easier said than done…everybody on here blogging is a CARDS FAN right? sooo why kick them while they’re down? Talking about there goes the season,im selling my tickets blah blah blah…that’s the last thing u should be doing…we got what we got n’ lets deal with it…TRUE FANS stand behind their teams WIN OR LOSE…

88. By John on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Fitzgirl11

Ya lets throw a party for getting blown out for the 2nd time in two weeks! We as fans pay money for a team to actually show up and try to win. Most of the fan base is tired of the same excuses and no changes being made. No one on the coaching staff or in management has the stones to make changes. Without a couple gifts of god we would be 0-4 and headed for another #1 pick. Get realistic

89. By dmface on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I sold my season tickets already. If the orgination does not want to invest or should I say “buy in” to a winning attitude then why should I continue to invest or buy season tickets? I am from STL and I supported the cards before they moved. I really can’t even concentrate at work!! I mean seriously..how can you not plan to get a quality QB. EVERYONE knows that the QB position is the most important part of a successful team. You had Kurt..knew that he was going to retire and no quality QB as a successor? Look at GB. They let Farve play until he decided to retire and brought in the under-study A-Rod. I would have let Matt play. If he tanked then at least it could be said..hey is not a student of the game because he could not catch on even learning from Kurt Warner. Then you move on. But to get DA, who comes from a losing culture? That’s like asking Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton to work for AAA and be sucessful. I said this the year the Bears came back on the Cards on Monday night..The Defense needs fixing. Well they eventually made it the SB..what part of the team lost them the SB? The defense!!! Nothing has changed..Well I am tired of supporting a losing culture!! I am not going to just jump ship and pretend to like another team. But the organization needs to get quality people in that know what they are doing.

90. By nor cal cards fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Urb, and i apologize for the emotional rant. I sincerely thank you for providing a forum for all of us fans to voice our opinions and frustrations,and u still manage to answer all of our questions. I know your patience has to be tested at times, and i sure do respect you and your professionalism for it. You provide the best website and correspondence with fans in the entire league and it’s greatly appreciated. Hey, at least AZ Cardinal fans have that going for them right now, right? Hahaha. On a serious note, I am glad AW stepped up to the plate and ripped himself and i look forward to reading your blog about it later, as always. Thanks once again……… and on a side note, who was the writer that DA made a snide remark to yesterday? Let the Max Hall era begin!!!

91. By dmface on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

@fitsgirl11– know what happens when you stand behind a wild horse? Try it and let me know how it goes? How long do you support idiotic behavior? How long do you support bad play? Should DA tell the coach the same thing you are telling us? “Hey coach stand behind me win or lose. Don’t kick me when I’m down.” Basically, all I am saying is if the Cards want to be a successful team they have to prove it. You can’t want to be anything in life if you pass up opportunities and you make bad decisions. If you want to be sucessful you need to get the right people in the right places and make things happen. By supporting the team I am supporting the organization. If the organization continues to make bad decisions then I support that!! I organization does not listen to the fans. They should look at other teams such as the Steelers, Patriots, and even the C-Boys. Let’s just keep it real yall.

92. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal –

RE: Locker room comment

D.A. was answering a question from the Republic’s Kent Somers, who asked about the miss to Stephen Williams and why Anderson had trouble connecting on certain open passes.

93. By stuck in Texas on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW Darren…

Your job is a tough one this week alot of anger out thair.
    All i have to say is i hope coach Whiz sticks with Max Hall.

GO CARDINALS!!

94. By Tyrelle on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Whiz is losing this team

95. By Tim Hatting on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I’ve seen alot of nay say about Matt Lienart, I was disqusted with the decision to cut him, Many star players mouth off in the NFL and don’t get cut… I feel the decision to cut him was a financial instead of what was best for the locker room and sent a message accurst the board to all the players that the desert is where NFL players come to die.. Matt was set to make 10 million next year i believe, I may be wrong… sure he couldn’t stand up to Kurt Warner and lost his job, how many other QB’s could??? His rookie year Matt came out the gates on fire thru I believe 8 games had 377 attempts. With 214 completed for roughly 2600 yards.. Not to bad for a rookie plus he threw the first rookie QB 400 yard game in NFL history. The 2500+ yards if he had stayed healthy would have been close to pro bowl caliber .. He had 12 TD passes that year too.

For some reason NFL coaches are in love with QB’s with huge arm strength and can hurl the ball down the field, but you don’t need that to win a game you need a solid ground attack and a very accurate QB with decent IQ..

We have a solid ground game… That was the plan going into the season.. Control the ground , protect the ball don’t throw the int. That’s what Ken asked of Matt and that’s what he did that’s what he spent his entire offseason working on studying tape working on ball protection making the right reads so as not to turn over the rock…. big woop that he dident get first downs in a vanilla pre season game.. It’s pre season.. Look at he passer rating for Matt and Derek Matts was 158 no int.. Derek threw 2 int in vanilla coverages, that right there was a huge red flag..

So the season is a wash now because you don’t have the time to train a rookie QB preseason is over.. The players have no faith in the coaches so they are
    quitting and just want to get out without getting hurt, so maybe they can sign someplace else..

How to right the ship? Pull a Singltary and start firing people?? That’s not a good answer.. Why was Davis effective last year and not this year? Missing Karlos.. He ran the defense on the field he called the audibles and recognized what was needed.. How is that Bill’s fault? That’s why our coverage looks so dam predictable.. Our guys aent moving around like they used too.. The job has fallen on Wilson to recognize and shift the defense but he’s to far off the line of scrimmage to be the leader, it has to be a middle linebacker with good football IQ that the guys respect and trust a true leader.. We have that in Washington.. But he’s a rookie, it will take some time..

All I can see is to weather the year, solidify the QB or bring back Matt.. And the community needs to let the Bidwells know that we will no longer tolerate the cheap approch that they used for so many years , siphoning off money and getting rich while we as fans suffer in embarrassment. They should have paid Karlos Dansby what he deserved, as well Antrel Rolle, Anquan Boldin ect.. Quit running off your good players because they want to get paid for the fact that they are good.

96. By georgiebird on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

To Nor Cal,
    I have criticized AW for years on this blog and other blogs about cover skills and penalties. Everyone has come to AW’s defense in the past because he is a team player, plays hurt and makes big plays.
    But AW is playing no better or worse than he did in the past. He gets eaten alive by good QBs and I posted to that very issue BEFORE the SD game.
    Simply, the problem with AW is although he has all the physical tools, he’s not a smart football player (that’s putting it nice).
    Here’s one case where I’m not happy to be right.

97. By nor cal cards fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Georgiebird- I know what you’re saying. I’ve watched him play probably over 100 games [on Direct TV], over the course of his career. He’s had some bad games over the years, everybody does, but i am not exaggerating when i say this, i was literally embarrassed to be an Adrian Wilson fan yesterday. He played so terribly, i was speechless.And i’m not even talking about his cover skills per se, we all know he has never been able to cover anybody in pass coverage, and he admitted that himself in the media session today. He basically said it’s been a problem his whole career. What i’m concerned about is that he looked lost and disinterested yesterday. If he just looked like he had a clue in coverage, it would be a start. He didn’t even know where the ball was half the time yesterday[ including the TD he gave up to Gates] Very disappointing. But do u want to know what really put me over the top? When he “attempted” to blitz. This is when i became speechless. Every time he blitzed, he ran directly at the blocking RB and just stood there exchanging shoulder slaps with the running back instead of trying to run through the seam towards the QB, and he never even attempted to juke the blocking back or use a swim move or ANYTHING to get around the blocking back and reach the QB, which is the objective when u are trying to blitz, last time i checked. That’s what i mean when i say he looked lost and disinterested. There’s no way i can be the only fan that noticed that yesterday. I mean, this is probably a little dramatic, but he seriously played like he was either hungover or stoned on drugs yesterday,and I know he wasn’t. That’s how bad it was.

98. By Eazy E on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Our QB situation is not good at all. DA just misses too many open targets. Max Hall is a rookie? Man I wish we had mcnabb or vick albeit he’s injured. I feel sad for my boy Fitz and the other wrs but especially him because he’s not getting any deep stuff at all 7 catches for 56 yards, that’s just an 8 yard average. I know we had early and stevie b out but that’s awful to not be able to get it deep to the best wr in the league. The O-line has to be reshuffled if it keeps protecting this bad. The run-blocking is awesome but the pass protection is way too inconsistent. 9 sacks and their not all the O-Line’s fault(Max took 6 and DA took the other 3, max was holding on to the ball on a couple too long but pass protection was horrible) Levi getting beat for a sack to jyles tucker seriously? Faneca is a hall of famer and I know we don’t have the steeler faneca but still he could play better in pass protection. Sendlein got beat for a sack to antonio garay really? I think deuce was the only one that didn’t give up a sack. Brandon Keith I think needs to be benched I know he’s a young player and you know he’s gonna make mistakes but man he made shaun phillips look like the 2nd coming of LT or Demarcus Ware. Put Bridges in at RT! Defense is just getting too tired from the porous offensive showings and turnovers. They have gave up a ton of yards on the ground and the pass rush has been on and off but they get worn out after all the three and outs and turnovers. We are also missing #54 Gerald Hayes also. Our secondary hasn’t shut passing games down yet in part because teams are running it down our throat or the pass rush isn’t there and they can cover without a pass rush but at some point it needs to come. The one lone bright spot was the nasty hit from toler to jar the ball loose and rhodes picking it up and taking it 42 yards to the house. We might as well start hall against new orleans and see how that goes. If it goes well, you got the bye and then he can start at seattle, if not, if mike vick is alright like I hope he is anyway just for his well being, make an extremely bold move and trade for the guy and during the bye week he can work out with fitz and co. and start learning the playbook and stevie b and early will be back to work with vick also. I know its on the fly and a huge in-season change/trade but we look terrible right now as a team and especially currently at qb. San Diego ain’t know where near that good and we made them look like the best team in the league.

99. By cardsalltheway on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

That question on the front page about which area the Cards need to improve most isn’t fair b/c they need to improve in each area. Currently, until Skelton becomes the starter, they are strongest in running the ball but they don’t b/c of DA and poor game planning/coaching. The Cards have been terrible in all facets…rush/pass offense, rush/pass defense so it’s too difficult to select just one. Sorry, I wish I could.

100. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

He’s a 3-4 guy with 4-3 personnel. An engineer should certainly know that square peg ain’t goin to fit in that round hole

2. Oct 4, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com