Williams’ weighty message

Posted by Darren Urban on October 4, 2010 – 12:57 pm

Rookie nose tackle Dan Williams was made inactive this past game because he didn’t make weight. He is supposed to be 327 pounds. He was 329. It doesn’t sound like much, but this staff has had so many issues with such things in the past — not only was there the Deuce Lutui/Herman Johnson situation in the preseason, but defensive lineman Alan Branch and Gabe Watson have dealt with it in the past — the coaches wanted to nip any problem in the bud.

It didn’t hurt that Watson — who, by the way, has been in the best shape of his career this year and remains about 10 pounds under the coaches’ maximum weight allowed — was waiting in the wings to come in to back up veteran Bryan Robinson.

Williams gets that.

“I messed up last week,” Williams said. “The coaches just said they’re not going to have that. I understand. I just have to get back to work and make sure I don’t drink those late-night Gatorades.

“I am in control of my situation. I didn’t hold up my end and Coach made the decision. I have to roll with it.”

Williams talked about how all three nose tackles have worked hard and it’s a difficult decision to decide which of the three to play. It wasn’t easy for Watson to sit those three games, and Watson acknowledged he doesn’t know if he’ll play again this week.

“My legs were kind of fresh,” Watson said. “I just wanted to do what I could to help the team … I know I had a good camp and preseason, and I practice hard every day. Even if I don’t get defensive reps I try to get after the offense on the (scout) team and help them out. They call me ‘Angry Gabe’ because I go so hard, but when I am inactive, I look at Wednesdays and Thursdays as my game days. It’s not hard. It’s only hard if you know you’re not doing everything you could be doing.”

Which includes watching what you drink if you are Williams — two 20 ounce G2 bottles apparently cost him.

“I got a little thirsty,” Williams said.

Tags: , ,

49 Responses to “Williams’ weighty message”

1. By Tinted Facemask Visor on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Maybe the Cards could have used a 329 pound guy to bring down that huge running back that no one could tackle

2. By chad d. on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

wait, so duece can show up over weight and after holding out all during training camp and STILL start but the rookie is two lbs overweight and they think it could become an issue? the logic just isn’t there..has deuce even made it back to his normal weight or is he still carrying that extra weight he gained?

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Chad D –

RE: Deuce weight

That I do not know.

4. By greg on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I remember that Duce made his target weight before he was allowed to start.

5. By MikeG on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren—I’m just hoping the depth chart at nose guard will be Watson, Williams,
    Robinson as the season progresses!! You are not going to get a pass rush
    from these guys but they must hold their ground. My only concern is–with Willaims’ weight issue we are still going to see alot from Robinson. Dan Williams must become a pro and control his weight—he is a number one pick and he needs to produce this year!!! A number one pick should be a starter by second half of season. Do you see Williams starting by week nine or ten???
    He does have to earn it!! This weight issue not a good sign.

6. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Nothing wrong to send a message to Williams. Watson was one of a few guys who played ok on Sunday. Time to bench Robinson he has lost a step for sure. Williams/Watson combo is our future with a little Branch sprinkled in!

7. By Alberto on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

all these talks about Williams’ weight and DA or Max Hall…but when you have a O- line that allows 9 sacks and 8 QB hits, whoever starts at QB is set up to fail.Both Hall and Anderson got slaughtered out there.That should be the main concern for the coaching staff, not Williams’ gatorades

8. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

What’s the name of the OLB we picked up from Cleveland? Alex Hall? How’s his progression he seems like a beast on tape?

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Phoenixraven –

RE: Alex Hall

Not enough to get on the field, at least so far.

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I get the whole, “sending a message” thing, but wow. 329 pounds too heavy for a true NT? I wonder what the average weight for a NT is in the NFL. Easy paycheck for 92 this week.

11. By Ben on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Hey Urban,

Beannie spoke out in the media today questioning play calling and why he is not getting more carries. EVERY fan I talk to at the game and on the message board shares Beannies frustration. Coach seems to be the only one that panics and calls a ton of pass plays.

Two questions:

1) Is beannie going to be cut for speaking out like Matt was?
    2) When will coach realize that our QB choices are DA who sucks and Hall who is an UIDFA and go to 85% run plays. REGARDLESS of the score.

12. By Cardsfan50 on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

The way our defensive middle is being gashed, I think Watson and Williams should play more and Robinson less. If B-Rob were stopping the run up the middle, if would be fine to continue to star him, but he isn’t. Time for a change.

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Beanie

Judging by your tone, it looks like you are asking rhetorical questions.

14. By Ben on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Urban,

Yup, lol….Sucks I coulnt find you at the game yesterday. Maybe you saw me I was the embarrased one wearing red in the sea of blue. Oh wait, that was EVERY Cardinals fan in the stadium. Complete embarrasment. I hope the team is embarrased and I hope that peoples jobs are on the line starting with:

BILL DAVIS
    and
    Coach Whiz calling plays (We need a dedicated OC like EVERY other team in the NFL.!!!!)

15. By SeeingRed on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

These are the decisions that begin to erode the confidence that fans have in coaches..2 pounds overweight and u sit him?..not just a quarter or figure out another punishment? I want to look at the game again (not sure I can stomach it) but it seemed Watson was pretty worthless…Whiz is starting to look a little stubborn/arrogant in some of these decisions

On another note..heard about Beanie’s comments. first ill say he shouldn’t have said as much in public. He’s a young pup and hopefully a vet (fitz, a-dub) will educate him on this..but he has a right to be irritated. I think everyone is wondering the same. I’ll say that I’m a big Tim H fan and think he should start but the LACK of touches for Beanie??…what are they saving him for?..again, more erosion in trust for whiz and his staff. I’m concerned about the level of communication Whiz has with his players..too much mystery of why things are done or not done. Leinart seemed genuinely confused why he was being demoted or what he needed to do. Now, Beanie is confused of why he isn’t being utilized..and it goes for everyone. Why not pull in your 3 D-line guys and the DC and get to the bottom of these issues? u know, in most jobs, bosses will pull u in the office if your work is lacking and question you, warn u and talk about specifically what u will do to remedy the situation..same goes for when significant changes are made etc..how hard is it to pull your #1 pick a season ago aside and tell him your thought process on this? he could do that right on the field at practice or through his RB coach-whatever…I just hope Beanie is more careful in the future because this team is showing a tendency to dump players after they “go public” (Boldin, Leinart)

16. By missing haley on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

well that game sucked really bad. darren, who do you think calls the plays for K.C ? We should of tried to keep him to, it seemed haley and whiz worked good together with play calling. The other thing that is hard to watch is the defense, i mean WOW. Maybe they should just get rid of davis and hire the defense. They are super talented and have enough veterans, they should be able to run themselfs on the field – dont you think?

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Haley –

RE: defensive coordinator

The players doing it themselves? Uh, no.

18. By missing haley on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Oh and what happened to anderson? how do you just get that bad – i though he justed hated the browns for cheering when he got hurt. Probowl to really bad. I sure hope young brees hall shows himself up on sunday.

19. By Safford Todd on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Just think if our beloved Cardinals had winning percentages of say, Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, etc. etc. The National Guard would have to be deployed in the Phoenix area. This place would be totally off the hook. None of the players, Beanie Wells for one, would be complaining about to much of the opposing teams colors in the stands. 1st, Davis needs to be sent down the road. Why do you think Frisco got rid of him. 2nd, the future is now, give Max Hall the playing time and experience so we don’t have to go through this year after year as we have in the past. I spend $10,000 plus every year, sometimes twice that on these Cardinals and it sucks to watch a performance, if you could even call it that, such as yesterday.

20. By SeeingRed on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Oh and Darren..whatever they pay you, it isn’t enough. IMO this is a first-rate website and your reporting/attitude is as well. Don’t know what fans would do without this forum to vent. The organization should be really grateful. Keep up the good work.

21. By ross on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what exactly did beanie say today?

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Ross –

RE: Beanie

I will have it posted soon. UPDATE: And it’s in here: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Bigger-Than-The-QB/61cba385-cccf-49be-9b26-152320c370a6

23. By cactus jeff on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

What are the chances that Hagan or Porter getting released/benched and what is the status of Antonio Bryant?

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Cactus –

RE: LBs and Bryant

1) Zero on released. Doubtful on benched. Who do you replace them with?
    2) An injured free agent.

25. By ross on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I applaud beanie and at the same time am concerned with the public nature of the comment. He is right though. We need a heavier dose of both of our running backs.

Great work Darren.

26. By Patrick on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Given the poor play on defense and the depth of DT, do you think the Cardinals should consider a 4-3 scheme?

Thanks!
    Patrick

27. By ben on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

good call there it looked like a smart way to send a message. throw away a game. really good call.

28. By Casey on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

RE: Beanie and Running the Ball

I just watched the Whiz presser from earlier today. Is it too much to ask of you, Kent, Bob, Paola, Brad, etc, etc. to ask more pointed questions about specific players?

I know you can feel fans’ frustration with how Beanie is being under utilized by this team and yet no one seems to have the courage to ask Coach Whiz: “Why is Beanie not getting more carries right now? Why is Beanie not a bigger part of your offense? Why is Beanie not your starter?”

I don’t buy the argument that “the game got out of hand, so we had to get away from game plan.” BS. Even if you’re down 28-7 late in the 2nd quarter, you don’t abondon your game plan- you don’t stop running the football- the one thing you may actually be doing better this year than last. Since when does a 3-TD deficit in the 2nd & 3rd quarter cause so much panic? Ironically- and everyone can see this- it’s the running game, and more specifically, Beanie- that holds the key to getting this entire offense on track (and keeping the defense off the field). While it may seem that really staying committed to the run even when traling by 21 is counterintuitive, it makes perfect sense- the pass game is only going to be opened up by the running game with this team. No way is it the opposite as it may have been in prior years with Warner. So yes, maybe you eat a bunch of clock to get the score to 28-14 or 31-14, but I guarantee you that the next TD or two are going to come much more easily by having established that running game with a clock eating drive even when traling (not to mention the benefit to the defense). That’s just reailty for this team this season.

Whether or not you think you can legitimately come back and win that game yesterday, aren’t you just trying to start by putting together 1 good drive? Isn’t that what we are all coached to do from childhood? Don’t try to look for the play that gets you 21 points, just focus on one play at a time and try to put together a positive drive. I did not see that yesterday. Instead, I saw a team that panicked and didn’t stick with what they do best right now (relatively speaking)- running the ball- especially with Beanie Wells.

I can only imagine how frustrated Beanie is right now. I’m just a fan- this isn’t my career or life’s calling- and I am at my wit’s end trying to understand what else is going on with this situation.

We all know that Whiz really wanted Donald Brown in the ’09 draft… is it really possible that despite all of his talent, all of his freakish ability, that because Beanie somehow isn’t Donald Brown, that this coaching staff isn’t willing to commit to him? It sounds ludicrous, but if Beanie is confused, and we as fans and the media are all confused, one is left to wonder….

Beanie will only become a better pass blocker with more time. And honestly, when you’re running over and around guys, gashing defenses with 4-5 yards a carry like Beanie has since the mid point of last season, is picking up the pass rush so important that it limits you to 5 carries in a game, 15 on a good day?

Enough said. I think you know how we all feel. I will be bitterly, bitterly disappointed if we don’t see Beanie get at least 20 carries on Sunday (I would prefer 30) with a healthy does of HT and Hyphen as compliments. We have got to run the ball, beginning, middle and end of story.

As an aside, are you generally discouraged from asking questions about specific players in those pressers? Along the lines of the questions we all have about Beanie, I think fans would really like to see the media ask questions about the play of specific individuals- Alan Faneca, Brandon Keith, Joey Porter, Clark Hagans, Bryan Robinson, etc. If the average fan can DVR these games and to some extent, break down the footage and clearly identify which players are not carrying their weight right now, is it really inappropriate for the media to ask pointed questions about how those guys are playing? Isn’t that part of holding guys accountable? I just don’t see the accountability- it still seems to me that certain guys are untouchable (Faneca, Porter, Haggans) and certain ones seemed destined to under utilization (Beanie, Ben Patrick).

Thanks Darren,
    Casey

29. By Scott H on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

30. By John on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I think coach Whis needs to change up his demeanor and start getting on these guys. His layed back attitude was great for the superstars and letting them play was the right thing to do. But now most of the big names are gone and a lot of these guys need a little tough love and I don’t mean the kind that keeps a player out of the game for being 2 pounds overweight. That was just insane!

31. By georgiebird on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I disagree with the notion that backups to Haggans, Porter etc aren’t good enough to get a chance These are older players on the decline. For as bad as the Cardinals have played on defense, no player should be exempt from a benching. If Williams can be an inactive for 2 pounds, then A-dub can be benched for M. Ware and Campbell can be benched for Kenny Ig. What’s the downside?- the Cards get blown out in the 1st qtr instead of at the half.
    Many fans now consider Whiz to be stubborn. Just think if Warner had won that SB for him- then he could have joined the stubborn Pat Rileys, Tony LaRussas, and the Bill Parcells of the world- but he didn’t- and now Whiz’ House of Cards may crumble if he doesn’t improve his performance and show that it wasn’t all Warner.
    Whiz’ benching of Williams was a gutless way to get Gabe back into action.

32. By old cards fan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

i see nothing wrong with beanie comments he’s a young rb who wants to play. what’s wrong with that? tim h.is very good rb but i think beanie should start.

33. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

While I think Beanie is right, I think the Whiz use the opportunity to test Hall. That is why almost every play was a pass play.

34. By georgiebird on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

On coach Whiz and the frustration of the fan base:
    1) Before Warner- the Cards were mediocre to bad
    2) With Warner -Cards were Playoff and SB bound
    3) after Warner Cards are mediocre to bad.

What is Coach Whiz’ value added to the equation? And on top of it, Whiz got an extension and a raise.
    Add to this the importing of OTH Steelers .

Except for the Warner factor, the Whiz years can turn into the 2nd coming of Buddy Ryan.

35. By Eazy E on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Gabe got some playing time

36. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Patrick –

RE: D scheme

You can’t just change midseason. That’s something that has to be done in the offseason when the defense is installed.

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Dan Williams

You are out of your mind if you think Williams’ absence affected the outcome Sunday.

38. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Casey –

RE: Specific players

You can buy or not buy the argument, but that doesn’t mean that isn’t what they are thinking. Hightower had a touchdown run on that first drive, brought back by what looked like a questionable holding penalty. Regardless, while I understand you and others want Beanie to play more, it was moot yesterday. Yes, he could have been in at the end — and if he was playing down 25 points and blew out a knee, almost everyone that comments here would rip the hell out of Whisenhunt for getting him hurt at a meaningless time. You know this, and so do I. They were trying to get him that experience in the preseason, and he got hurt and then the coach was ripped for having him out there. So to me, the argument of “he only becomes better with more playing time” has to be used in context. I know I’m not playing a back who had knee surgery a month or so ago a lot in a game where I am trailing so big.

I know plenty of people want him to start. I’ve addressed that, I’ve talked to Whiz about why. I’m burned out on that subject. Continually going back to it holds little interest for me, since I know Whiz’s thoughts haven’t changed.

I’ve already asked about Keith twice since the regular season started. Faneca has been a subject at least once. I can/will ask about Bryan Robinson, Porter and Clark Haggans. You’re not going to get Whisenhunt ripping those guys. You know that, right?

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Georgiebird –

RE: Whiz and Warner

I am not going to say Warner didn’t help Whiz. But these are the facts: In 2005 and 2006, the Cards had Warner, Boldin, Fitz, Dansby, Dockett, Rolle and Wilson all on the roster. They won five games in 2005 and five in 2006. Then Whisenhunt came and they won two division titles. So let’s not play revisionist history and act like Whiz had no impact.

40. By georgiebird on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Good point. What I should have said was Warner and the velcro throwing glove. Warner was a disappointment when he arrived especially fumbling the ball -he was very much on par with McKown and later Matt. The Warner with the velcro glove became a great QB (again) and Whiz did have a supportive roll especially in choosing Warner over Matt.
    If I remember correctly, the Warner of 2005 could barely beat out Josh McCown who was the best Cardinal QB when it came to putting up stats against the 49ers.

41. By georgiebird on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

Agree 100% with your answer to Casey- re: use of Beanie against SD. The SD game was not a place to run Beanie after the 1st quarter. The risk/reward was not in the Cards favor.
    But beginning now, the Cardinals have to get into the 50% run/pass mode with Beanie the lead back. And along with Hall, Ben Patrick has to be a main player.
    With a run/pass offense, the OL will be OK.
    On the defense, Bill Davis hanging around is a major indictment against Whiz especially in light of his surgical dismissal of Clancy P.

42. By BluePitt on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

@scott h,
    “OMG!!! Like we didn’t have enough “issues” to deal with already, and NOW we have weight issues??? Can I just ask – what was this team doing while they were supposed to be at training camp??? What the hell….”
    I said it before and will say it again….Whiz was giving them “Vet” days off and cuting things short at camp!

43. By BluePitt on Oct 4, 2010 | Reply

I was at the 08 and 09 camp’s and the players worked their tails off! This camp was spent dueling it out MMA like! thank you Porter, you have brought a winning attitude we didn’t need, Our Cards have been humble and worked their tails off whit heads held low and that chip on our backs… Not now they think they deserve some kind of metal, but dont want to work 4 it.. Just look at Adub he is lost and out of his game for one reason, he is worried to much about getting disrespected and scraping 4 Porter, then letting his play speak 4 its self like he used to. How many times has he tried to scrap this year I can count 4 easy, that’s 4 more than I can remember in his whole 10yr. He was the quiet, humble, ferocious hitter and playmaker! Think about it!

44. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Curious piece – talking up the caliber of Watson’s play in the aftermath of a shellacking where we (once again) couldn’t stop the run.

Granted, at face value, Gabe seemed to play pretty well. I just found it a bit weird to highlight a position so involved in run-stopping when the bottom line was that we couldn’t stop my grandmother.

45. By John on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

OK coach Whiz, now you know what to do…………..your welcome!

46. By card62 on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Darren that Whiz has had a favorable impact for our team, and I personally want him to remain our coach. I am an old guy so I know the painful years. I will also add that Rod Graves has had a favorable impact on our team.

I totally agree wtih most of you fans and have said so many times that Whiz and Graves totally botched our QB situation in the offseason and this season. They get an F for this. We also botched the Q situation. Q was our warrior every bit as much as WIlson and Dockett and Warner and even Fitz.

I did not want to lose Dansby nor did I want to lose Calvin Pace and A. Smith in years past, but I understand the money issues of the game and I would not have resigned them myself.

Most of us agree that the Cardinals need to run the ball to set up the pass, but we can not agree on a starting running back. To me it is a no brainer, Beanie Wells is your hammer and Hightower and LSH can still get 15 to 20 touches combined a game and hopefully break long ones after your hammer have softened up the defense. Timmy can be the 3rd down back on passing situations. I am not saying Beanie is Adrian Peterson or John Riggins but just like I wanted to find out this year if Leinart was our QB of the future, I want to know if Beanie is John RIggins or not. I swear some of you fans would start Hightower over Peterson or Riggins.

Our OL only needed to replace the LT, Gandy. I admit freely I wanted and still want a new center, but I have beat that horse into the ground, but Russ Grimm replaces our RT, LT, and LG 60% change verses 20% change. How is that working out for us. Hello Reggie Wells how things going in Philly.
    If we can have a third down running back – HIghtower on passing situations why can we not have a 3rd down LG on passing situation, Hadnot in and Faneca aka The Bull Fighter out.

Darren about us fans yelling at Whiz if Beanie would have been hurt at the end of a blowout. We real fans understand that injuries will happen at any time and that is just part of the game, and remember Beanie was hurt playing extended time in the last preseason game, a meaningless game and none of us yelled, and Q was hurt at the end of a blowout loss against the Jets, and Hall could have been killed dropping back to pass every down and the Chargers coming after him. Part of the game announcers pick on coaches for this just so they can hear themselves talk, but fans know unless you take a knee someone can get hurt.

I have no problems sitting WIlliams and big fella it might just be those buckets of chicken and those chips you are enjoying with those Gatorades that are also adding on the pounds. Discipline !!!

Cardinals have played 4-3 and 3-4 last few years and I think with our LBs and DL that we should play mostly a 4 – 3 to stop the run and get pressure on the QB. Put best players on the field.

LIke I said in an earlier post I feel most sorry for season ticket holders this year. I live in East Tennessee and went to the game in Nashville last year and I watch or listen every week but this does not cost thousands of dollars and more importantly the time & energy that all of you put to go to the games and become emotionally involved rooting for your team and they don’t even bother to show up for the game. I know we wish the Cardinals would win every game but most of us will accept competitive games and effort like the Seahawks gave the Chargers and the 49ers gave the Falcons.
    Darren I will always be a fan, but I have no answers to why the Seahawks and 49ers can play with teams and we do not.
    I am still a Whiz and Graves fan, but they need to turn up their game and make sure we show up every week to play and coach.
    Go Cards beat the Saints. .

47. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Georgiebird –

RE: DC moves

But Clancy wasn’t fired midseason. Why would a coach do that? To me, that always makes it look worse than trying to fix the wrongs. For example, SF changing OCs. What did that get them? One offensive TD. Wow. Big difference.

48. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

BluePitt –

RE: Training camp

And that affects Williams the rookie how? Especially since he made weight all these weeks and the team broke camp mid-August. We’re more than a month past that. … This is why this job is frustrating at times. Too many people taking “facts” out of context or simply misrepresenting them so they can rip someone/something.

49. By BluePitt on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I was ref. to a comment I made with scott in a post we had on here in week one, It was kind of a joke. I said the camp was very week, aside from the fistig..lol hahaha. Go home plop those feet on the table and loosen da laces, take a breeether you of all people need it Darren. I have made my peace with our 6-10 season, after the Leinfart crap any thing over 6-10 will be like X-mas to me! lol