Bringing back Gant to practice squad

Posted by Darren Urban on October 5, 2010 – 3:58 pm

Now that his four-game suspension is over, the Cardinals have re-signed wide receiver Ed Gant to the practice squad. They had a spot when linebacker Cyril Obiozor was signed to the 53-man roster of the San Diego Chargers. Gant served his suspension after violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

The Cards needed to fill Obiozor’s spot at linebacker, so Curtis Gatewood was brought back to the practice squad (he was released from the practice squad a couple weeks ago), and wide receiver Tim Brown was let go.

Tags: , , , ,

85 Responses to “Bringing back Gant to practice squad”

1. By Pat on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Boy, talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic ! Who cares!

2. By Rich on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Do you think that an article highlighting the fact that we don’t have an offensive coordinator makes sense as a worthy topic?

Rich

3. By Casey on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Looks like Fox is bringing in the ‘A’ Team again for another Cardinals broadcast… this one does actually suprise me a little given the Saints are defending Champs and it’s a rematch from the playoffs. I guess that says a lot about how competitive Fox is anticipating this one to be….

Are you expecting a blackout or sellout?

Thanks,
    Casey

4. By Ben on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Pat,

Sad but true

5. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I know Whiz hasn’t announced who will be the starting QB but have you noticed anything at practice? Is Max getting more reps with the 1st team or is practice closed to reporters?
    Mahalo !!!

6. By Edijkstra on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Some of us like the detail, Pat. If you don’t, then don’t read it.

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

RE: OC

The Cardinals have a playcaller, if that’s what you mean. It’s Whisenhunt. And he’s not the only head coach to have such duties.

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: TV

I think it will be announced as a sellout.

And the broadcast team was announced before the season — that’s when it got out Warner was coming back.

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Practice

As usual, the Cards don’t practice until Wednesday this week.

10. By 98CardsFan on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

When is the trade deadline again? Should the cards meet the same fate as they have against the other two good teams they played a re-shuffling at every area needs to happen. Both with the players and the staff during the bye week.

11. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Pat,

Well I guess it better than talking about the rest of the team’s inabitlity to put together a complete game or at least a half ass performance.

12. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Do you know if Whiz, the other coaches and the players read these blogs?

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

NJAzCards —

RE: Reading blogs

Some players do.

14. By 98CardsFan on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Dwyane Jarrett was released today, would like to see the Cards pick him up and drop Komar. The last pick by DA (into coverage), Komar was coming across on a crossing pattern but broke up field which opened up the pick for the LB. He does not have the skill or the timing with ANY QB to make adjustments like that. Should just run the pattern as it’s drawn up in that part of the field. I honestly do not believe they love Komar anymore than they did Lance Long. As far as long went it was a numbers crunch at the position. In this case Jarrett could bring some much needed experience to the position because honestly, we could use it with the injury bug hitting our WR position without knowing if it would occur sometime later in the season. I believe it would be worth the risk to bring him in. What are your thoughts on this reasoning, not possibility. Thanks

15. By Pat on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Edijkstra, if you want detail at least trynto focus on meaningful details, not who is on the practice squad.

16. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren,
    I thought Coach Whiz would be cracking the whip and have them back at practice by now?

17. By jesse on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

The cards need to do a lot of things but i think what they need to focus on is the run. Beanie needs to get at least 20 carries a game as well as hightower. We have seen that running the ball so far this year has worked pretty well. Once we control the game with the run then we can focus on passing. Also our d needs to step it up. We saw last year how horrible Mark Sanchez was but they were able to go far because the focused on the run and had a good defense.

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

98CardsFan —

RE: Komar

Jarrett isn’t coming here. A total bust, plus he just had a DUI. Everytime he had a chance in Carolina, he failed. As for Komar, I don’t know about that INT pattern. The ball never should have been thrown, regardless. I don’t know he ran it the wrong way, and I’m not sure you do either. I will try to find out. But yes, they like him more than Long because he made the active roster.

19. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

One of the main problems is player evaluation. But if the offense is very mediocre -as is the defense- then the weeks and months of OTAs, Spring practice and training camp become meaningless. Two mediocre units going against one another- how can a coach make any meaningful judgments.
    So if a mediocre Keith can block a mediocre Campbell does that make him a good player?

20. By Havasu Tom on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I personally like to hear of the changes the Cardinals make, thank you. Whats your opinion of Max Halls progress? I watched the game after I got home from San Diego(couldn’t Sleep after the harassment I received from my Charger friends), and considering they had there ears pinned back the second half, I thought he moved in the pocket well. Max also understood that he had to take the sake rather than throw a mistake. He had no INT’s. That was nice to see, and seamed to go through his progressions well. Your opinion?

21. By Voice of Reason on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been trumpeting this now for a couple of weeks.

First thing: Go sign Jeff Garcia, or offer up a 4th round selection for Marc Bulger. With a marginal quarterback, we win this division going away. And if a veteran is brought in, I waive DA. Can still keep the two rookies.

Second thing: Start Beanie Wells. He’s upset about how little he’s being used, and who can blame him. Tim Hightower is a nice player and a great third down back. He picks up blitzes exceptionally well and can get the tough yards. But Beanie is and should be your feature back. Hightower just is not that guy.

Third thing: Replace Brandon Keith with Jeremy Bridges. Even consider putting Bridges in at LT and sliding Brown over to RT (where he has played the last few years). Both of our tackles are struggling.

Fourth thing: Consider getting Rex Hadnot some reps at center. Sendlein may not be letting on, but he’s playing like he did two years ago when he was hurt. He may well miss some time before the season is out.

Fifth thing: Go look for an aging guy (Jevon Kearse, perhaps) to sign as a rush outide linebacker

22. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Cardinal fan for 50 years(lots of pain). I know that all this criticism of Whiz seems over the top after going to the SB in 2008 season. However Whiz has to realize the mindset of the fans especially the long suffering.
    The fans thought Whiz was building something here. No, it wasn’t going to be SB every year but rather a good young team with a great young coach. What everyone believes now is that nothing was built. It was Warner (yes with the velcro gloves) who (with some great receivers and a great OC) magically took the team to new heights.
    Now with Warner gone, its like Cinderella at midnight and its a shock to the fans. In fact, nothing was built- it was in fact a house of cards.
    I do miss Boldin but he didn’t want to be here. Rolle and Dansby are good players but not great and they shouldn’t have been re-signed for the money asked. The Leinart thing turned out bad but Matt wasn’t the answer not with this defense. So some moves are explainable and understandable. These guys would not have made a difference.
    Among many, one of my bigger disappointments in Whiz is his failure to develop, draft or trade for a good TE (being a TE himself). This position has been neglected by the Cardinals since the days of Jay Novacek and Robert Awalt.
    Whiz has tried to take on the personna of a stubborn Bill Parcells but he doesn’t have the resume to pull it off-something has to give here.

23. By RichS on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Rather than asking if it’ll be a blackout or a sellout? Will it be a blowout?

24. By MikeG on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren –Nice article on leadership. I think Darnell Dockett has been looked at by the coaches and team-mates to be the leader of the Defense. Unfortunately he has gotten off to a slow start which is surprising. He is seeing many double teams and no one else has stepped up. Bill Davis might have to move him around along the line to get him loose. He needs to be disruptive–that is when he is at his best. We have seen none of this so far.
    I think in a true 3-4 defense the nose tackle is the most important player along the line– a good one usually takes on two blockers and allows the other linemates to win their one-on one battles. This is what is not happening with our defense. Williams and Watson need to step up big-time. Teams are showing no respect toward our nose tackle!!! Who do you think should be the individual leader of our defense??? Dockett??? Wilson???

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Havasu —

RE: Max Hall

They think enough of him that he is in the mix to start. But I wouldn’t expect him to dominate. Baby steps.

26. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Leaders

Again, doesn’t matter. They need to play well first. Someone will emerge.

27. By Nick on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Jesse is right. I think in order for this offense to be successful, they need to run the ball first and that should open up the pass. Easier said than done however if the defense is getting us behind 21-7 in the first quarter and you have to score quick to get back in the game. It all starts with the D. If they can hold their own and allow the Cards to run the ball I think that is how we can be a good team. We have the runningbacks to do it, and Beanie needs to ball early and often.

28. By Nick on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    A lot of the fans have been suggesting (on another website discussion board) that the Cards go after Jeff Garcia. Have you heard anything about the Cards pursuing another QB? I’d like to see the Cards go get Chad Pennington from Miami’s bench.

29. By Gary on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Honestly, the team needs to buckle down and play football. There is enough talent on both sides of the ball to win football games, regardless who they play. These men are professional, NFL football players. They would not be in the league if they were not smart enough and physically fit to play at this level. I agree with some of the players’ comments regarding worrying about themselves, to a point. I do agree with taking care of your responsibility every play – making sure that each individual executes their assignment to the best of their abilities on each and every play. However, the flip-side to that is each individual needs to operate as a team and help pick up those players who miss assignments or are just having a bad day. Individuals do not win ball games, teams do. I would take a group of guys who play as a team, any day, over a group of individuals. The days of Kurt, Antrel, Anquan, and Karlos are over and the Cardinals have moved on. I consider this era the days of Fitz, Adrian, DRC, Beanie, Hightower, Levi, Brandon, Daryl, 9-0, the mini-tree known as Calais, Breaston, along with every player on this team – who can, and will, contribute. I trust we will begin to see the consistency and teamwork we’ve all been waiting on since the start of the season, this Sunday. I think the fans know it is easy to observe, critic, and write things such as this on a blog after watching a game. However, us fans know what kind of talent this team has and the potential that can be had. There are still 12 games left, the season is not even close to being over. As a fan, I have the utmost confidence in my team and I know they will prevail.

I want to dish out some kudos to one certain player. I mean no disrespect to any of the players on the team, each man on that roster has talent. However, I want to praise Greg Toler for making, not just the starting lineup but, consistent plays thus far. I was excited when we drafted Greg a couple years ago and I’ve been waiting for his time to come. I felt he was better than McFadden and I was disappointed he wasn’t the starter from the get-go. Teams are straight scared to throw DRC’s way – for good reason. Teams, thus far, have tried to pick on Greg and he is holding his own. We have a very talented duo at DB and, in my opinion, the entire secondary. This is why the Chargers attacked the middle of the field with Gates. Bill Davis’ scheme was soft in the middle and the Chargers exposed it. This fact give credit to Greg and the entire secondary for being as dangerous as they are. There is some blame on Bill Davis for not adjusting to the Chargers attack after the first Gates TD. I know Bill knows the kind of talent he has back there and these issues will be resolved. Greg, guys and team, keep up the good work. Us fans believe in this team!

Go Big Red!

30. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Rich and Darren –

Just a little historical blogging. And I blogged about an OC a lot earlier than MAR 10, 2010:

MAR 10, 2010
    Darren –
    Any talk about an offensive coordinator or is Whiz going to continue to wear 2 hats
    MAR 10. 2010
    Tucson –
    I suppose this is rhetorical but why would they switch? They were pretty effective on offense last season
    MAR 10, 2010
    Darren –
    “pretty effective” League stats: Points per game 11th. Yards per game 14th. Passing yards 12th. Rushing yards 28th. And please don’t forget we got to play Rams twice, Seattle twice and Detroit. Every stat except rushing was down in 2009 vs 2008 when we had an OC. Instead of pretty effective I’d say pretty average against weak teams.
    Did a little research. We have 16 coaches listed on our web site (this was as of MAR 10) including Grimm’s son (which might explain everything from a coaches stand point which is wrong with this team…hire an ineffective friend and then hire his no credential son, OMG maybe instead of engineering school you should have gone to business school). Thought I’d take a look at our division and last year’s playoff teams:
    Team/ Coaches /OC
    Bengals /17/ Yes
    Eagles/ 19 /Yes
    Patriots/ 12? /No
    Ravens/ 21/ Yes
    Jets /18/ Yes
    Cowboys /15 /Yes
    So, only New england doesn’t have an offensive coordinator and that’s just since Charie Weiss left (things that make you go hum). We average 4 fewer coaches overall. Frankly, this is a much bigger story concerning the Cards future than signing some no name free agents. Obviously, Whiz was one of the best OC’s in the NFL, but is he Belichick good. I hope so

So here we are today, OCT 5, 2010. Belichick has designated his QB coach to sort of be the OC. Weiss is in KC with Haley, OMG!!! And we call plays for DA and Max Hall like they’re KW.

In a year of severe transition don’t you think we should have had MORE coaches!!! I know it’s not right to say I told you so, but this should be a big topic of discussion…just like our poorly performing defensive coordinator. How is it that coach Whiz fires Pendergast less than a week after the SB and we are still stuck with 49’s reject Davis?

There aren’t enough hours in a week to be both the OC and the head coach. Doesn’t look like we are going to be “pretty effective” this year. Is this Whisenhunt’s ego or the Bidwell’s? The answer will tell a lot about our future, or lack there of…

31. By Frustrated on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Nice piece on the leadership on the team. It leads to an interesting, albeit negative, personality to this team. Does this team have a bunch of leaders by example or what? If you are a leader by example then it is hard to lead when you can’t do it.

32. By joe again on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

As bad as that last game was, what happens if the Cards somehow win this home game against the Saints this weekend? They’ll be 3-2 in first place atop the division heading into their bye.

As bad as that last game was, the Cards can beat the Saints. We all know its possible any given Sunday in the NFL. Anyhow, when I first saw the schedule, I had us at 2-3 going into the bye week, but then still finishing out the year at 9-7 and winning the division.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know — that last game was hard to watch. Just pathetic in so many phases. But unless/until we lose to Seattle coming out of the bye week, then I’m not ready to jump off the ledge just yet. What I am ready for is some good news — lets stick that little Mad Max back there behind center and see what happens. Maybe the Cards need to play angry. Maybe the Saints are due a bad surprise.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

RE: QB

Whiz said Monday there has been no thought to getting another QB.

34. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: OC

(And you go and misspell Bidwill after all that before ….)

I want to know, are people wanting a new OC because they think Whiz can’t handle the job in-game? Or is it because you disagree with the playcalling philosophy in the first place? There has been a lot of talk of why people don’t like it but never real reasons why. Is it just “they don’t/didn’t score enough/gain enough yards?”

35. By Eazy E on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

VICK TYLER THIGPEN SOMEBODY ANYBODY

36. By Eazy E on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

A new OC we need a new QB whiz is a great playcaller we need somebody to throw the ball to fitz and co. He can’t do both

37. By Chris Nelson on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Well Darren I hope Adrian reads thies posts, I wanted to tell u guys that I live in Coolidge Arizona, grew up on the corner of S. Main and Wilson street, I was born on Oct 12 of 86, so Ill be 24 this year (See A Odd Coincidence?). I want Adrian to know I, among many many fans, still believe in him and the fact he will eventualy be a HOF with a very Solid Game and Resume!

I dont sopose you know when they will retock the A-Dub Black Jerseys do you?(The teams website store says out of stock) Ive been looking to get a 2X for my birthday but I am unable to find one. (realy wanted to wear #24 on my 24th birthday)

Yes EVERYONE on the defence needs to step up and be accountable for them selfs, we have all the talent and peices, just need to put them all together.
    Max Hall Has all the tools to be a great QB. We need to spend the time giving him all the reps from practice for the next few weeks to get him into the groove and then let him go. Use the Run game as our right punch and the pass as the left jab, stick and move down the feild. Bennie does need to improve on his Over all game but he does seam to spark this offence when he gets in and should realy be use more. Other than that I for one, think the problems of this team stem from DA’s inability to get the ball where it needs to go, Just deflates the team every time they see him miss an extreamly easy not to mention OPEN pass to one of our recivers. He gives away the play by stairing down the reciver as if he was at home playing Madden on the TV where NO Defence can see his eyes, Not gonna get it done here and its the underlyning reason our “team” as a whole is under preforming. We got use to Kurt coming out and making things happen to spark the fire in our whole team, and now its gone and we cant seam to figure out how to get that Spark back.
    Sit DA, Start Hall and let him making things happen,.. LOL whats the worst that could happen? He looks like DA has for the last 4 weeks? I doubt it, rookies can be coached up and corrected, Vets have a hard time changing anything because of how they have always done it (I dont wanna hear about how they worked on Kurt, he had all the right tools they just showed him the proper way to use them, DA dont have the tools needed).
    I agree with alot of others I have read about putting Levi back at RT and puting Jeremy in as the LT, Keath just doesnt seam to be able to get his foot work right, and at this point has become a liablity. But Alas I do believe Ken Wiz. knows what he is doing or he would’nt be able to be as calm and collected as he is.(people in over their head panic when things dont work and he clearly isnt panicing) A good trait for a head coach to have and he will right the ship or dump the dead weight. In Wiz I still trust!

To all of the Fake Cardinals fans, Wiz is a great coach and he knows what must be done and sees everyhting and more than any of us could EVER see. So jump off the bandwagon and go back to your SF 0-4 49s and leave us be. Once again we will win the West just as we have the last 2 years, its never pritty this time of year, and if anything, the blow outs keep the “Mass Media” from swarming and telling eveyone how talented they are and distracting them from the true prize, a chance to play for the Lombardi Trophy!

Darren Once again thank you for all of your hard work, and for putting up with all of the “OMG we r gonna die because we lost 2 games and the team doesnt look like we thought it would” people. (On a Side Note I hope Everyone on the cards staff and team {including families of all} were safe tonight will all of our crazy weather)

38. By Brad Oneill on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

The leadership story was troubling.

I understand that wilson feels he needs to get himself in order before he worries about others. Leadership isn’t about being without a flaw. its about getting more out of someone than they would get out of themselves. Sometimes this is nothing more than having a guys back.

no one had matts back, no one has dereks back, no one has wilsons back. this is a team of individuals.

We need max hall to complete passes not be the great leader we are missing.

one of the main reasons we have a rookie quarterback starting for us this week against the defending super bowl champs is because the defense has failed us twice this year. If they had made the games close derek would still be there.

I know identity and leadership are big buzzwords these days.

well the identity is -they are the defending nfc west champs with unfinished business at a super bowl.

and the leadership can be worked out after we find out who survives the next few weeks of battling from behind like its their last freaking chance at playing football for a living.

39. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Some people think I’m not only blowing sunshine up the rear end to explain the Cards 2-2 record but blasting July 22nd 122 degree heat with forceps holding it open.
    I get AZ hasn’t played well at all, every aspect of the game needs to be scrutinized and changes probably will be made.
    But jeez people! Look at the schedule and tell me that most fans(?) don’t expect a 2-3 record going into the bye week?(I think it will be 3-2.)
    The expectations, after winning 2 divisions, have been raised. But you have to be realistic when projecting goals.
    Now if they lose the Seattle game…

40. By Brad Oneill on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

darren on the oc-

i want a new oc because i want the head coach to be working on building the team. figuring out what needs fixing and fixing it. I want another guy working full time on putting together the plays and breaking down the defense of the enemy.

i dont think whiz’s play calling is bad. i just think he has enough on his plate without all that goes into the minutia of play calling.

41. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

RE: A-Dub jerseys

I do not know when they will be in stock. I can check if you want to shoot me an e-mail at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

42. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

RE: OC

Fair enough.

43. By Tinted Face Shield on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

So the team that just beat the Cards 41-10 just signed a guy off the Cards practice squad to their 53 man roster… that’s ironic and weird

44. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

The Saints are 6-8 in road games played on grass during the Whiz era.
    Just a useless stat, Darren, much like a guy hitting .300 during night games at visitor games, or a possible venue to winning the game?
    I’ve seen the Buffalo Wild Wings commercial, so I know weird things can happen with the field.

45. By SeeingRed on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Nice article on leadership..I have to say one of my main concerns going into this season was who was going to be that “angry” leader? By that, I mean I absolutely loved it when I saw Q screaming at his coaches or a fellow team member and when Warner was going off on the sidelines…that my friends is PASSION and passion makes GREAT football. What we are witnessing is a fundamental lack of passion to be great which Kurt and Q were about. Fitz wants to be great but that ain’t his personality. So who’s going to bring it? They brought Porter in for that reason but u can’t manufacture it-it’s gotta be pure.

46. By TucsonTim on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

And I even did the cut and paste from Microsoft Word. Alright, I’ve got Bidwill in the spell check. (and I’ve got to go online to figure out how to get Bidwell out of the spell check)

With the press, the owners, the fans, the league and the players, just to name a few reasons, I think that being a head coach is full time. It’s a little arrogant to think that almost every other coach in the NFL needs an OC, but we don’t.

I think exceptional OC’s like Haley probably spend 100 hours a week looking at game film, talking to scouts, dreaming and scheming and working with their playbook and then their players and coaches.

Based on the results, I don’t think we have game planned for the players we have on the field. I’m sorry but I think we have game planned for the players we wished we had on the field. I don’t think we have been effective in exploiting our opponent’s weaknesses, and every team has weaknesses. DA may be less than what we hoped, but I don’t believe for a second he is less of a QB than Charlie Batch.

I think coach Whisenhunt is great. He’s intelligent, calm and always looking for the positive. He looks and speaks like a natural born leader. But as a head coach, he should be mission oriented like Eisenhower who directed his troops to cross the channel, secure the beach and invade the continent and not micromanage them to death. He needs to build a coaching staff that can get the job done, then he needs to trust them and then hold them accountable (e.g. Pendergast) And like Eisenhower, he needs that invasion failed speech in his pocket just in case; like when the QB decision goes incredibly bad. Be truthful, accept responsibility, be accountable and then move forward.

Maybe that’s an engineer’s Achilles heel.

47. By phoenixraven1 on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

lets not all forget this is just a game…We are 2-2 possibly on our way to 3-2 but we have a bye coming up. There is to much talent for these guys not to turn this ship around! Remember its all about getting HOT at the right time. Remember who the worst (according to analysts) superbowl team ever was…oh that’s right it was the Cardinal’s…we got HOT and made it to the big show! We can do it again!

48. By rob on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, why do you keep suger coating things Whiz is a good play caller not a great one. We went to the SB when we had a OC I think Kurt would have keep playing if Whiz dont a big ego and hired Mike Martz what do you think.

49. By Zapp on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

To answer your question yes we need ONE OC. Sometimes a coach needs to be a coach not a OC. Having someone like Todd Haley here helps because it was his job to call plays. When Whiz needed to chip in he did but he is the head coach not the OC. He has to take in the whole game not just the offense.

For examples just look back at last year we had a good offense not great. We lost the creativity and went to a bland dink and dunk offense that was a step back from the previous year. And do you honestly think we did not take a step back from the previous years explosive offense. Now look at this year. You can’t blame everything on Whisenhunt, namely the QB situation but could you have thought of more than one play were we got creative? How about we sit up the defense. I can think of two. Plus how many times during the game did you know what were doing? You know a little about football but the players know more about the game and if I knew what we were doing then they knew.

During the Chargers game we ran into brick walls all day. Is that excution or did they know what we were doing. Also has not been brought up but how were the Chargers get such a great jump on the ball did Whisenhunt not notice that? Maybe he would have if he was the being the head coach not the OC at that time. Two genius minds are better than one.

Who knows, I’m more than likely wrong but it comes down to two scenarios. Either Whisenhunt can’t call plays or we don’t have the players to excute those plays. Either way thats all on Whisenhunt.

Little harsh on Whisenhunt latley but for this team needs to HAVE, not find, an identity. We SHOULD be 0-4 now but we are not for a reason Whisenunt still is one of the best coaches in the NFL but he needs to say going forward this is who we are not allow it to come to him.

I look forward to you responding with you own counter point. I noticed you have not said anything except other teams their coach call plays/ Maybe it would be a interesting article that you can explain this situation that has so many of us baffled.

Now I know we have two half OC but Russ Grimm to me seems like the logical choice to promote while firing the other guy. The passing game has lagged a little since Todd Haley left. Plus the guy is bound to get a NFL head coaching job soon is he really not ready to call plays. Oh my god another point if Russ Grimm can’t call plays and gets a head coaching job then I think it goes without saying that head coaches don’t call plays they coach.

50. By BluePitt on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Im with “Or is it because you disagree with the playcalling philosophy in the first place?” We have very plain and readable plays and calls in my opinion, when todd was here you didnt know what was going to happen.
    Chris,
    I have a couple black Wilson 24’s new in the wraping’s if you want one, Ill give it to you for what I paid. For X-mas I got 1x 24 for my 16yrold son 1x Drc for my 12yr old and a 90 for my 9yr old son. I have a 90 & 24 for me, I will part with one of mine.

51. By chad d. on Oct 5, 2010 | Reply

Not this particular blog, but in every single one before it there’s been more than a few mentions of matt leinart, and i just want to say, can you get over it? it’s a thing of the past. whether it was a mistake or not, we’ll never know. who cares, he’s a third stringer now. but as for gant, any chance he actually makes the Roster and a rookie is put on the practice squad? hopefuly Komar, he’s Had a few nice catches but just isn’t getting it done. roberts should be used for punt returns and that only. put o jones as a quarter and maybe move gant to the number 4 slot. i think that’d work out better. as for whiz favoring players, i’m starting to see that more and more.

52. By Andre on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Before the disgusting blowout by the cards the past week, I honestly thought we’d run the hell out the ball even if we fell behind points. Just to grow and develop our run game. I really think beanie was on to something. What was upstairs thinking?! I really didn’t like it that he wen’t public about it or even how he called out us fans, but he’s definitely right on the money there. What did you think Darren?

53. By ben on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

hey darren

is there any way that the coaching staff would think about going back to the 4-3 defense considering that the lb corps is short and the d-line is so deep. i understand they spent all summer with the 3-4, but wouldnt just be a better situation for the personal that the team has. GO CARDS

54. By ross on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Great work as always. And to the people who want beanie to start, teach him how to protect the quarterback and keep his mouth shut.

55. By PWalker on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Reasons to have an OC!

The QB and OC have constant dialog. (Warner and Haley)

The QB and HC cannot.

The whole team is in disarray and that is the responsibility of the HC, not just the offence.

The HC can be the OC when he has a great DC and doesn’t have to worry about the defense, we do not.

Haley is doing the right way, Whiz is not.

My other peeve, Whiz waits to long to play young players. Beany will be ready to retire or his contract will run out before Whiz thinks he is ready to start. Williams might not be 2 pounds overweight if he played more. Based on what I have seen of Toller this year he should have been starting last year. Has the potential to be better than DRC.

I agree with everything georgiebird said, why have we not gone after a marque TE? Whiz has taken a step backwards and in order to take two steps forward he needs an OC and a good DC. He cannot do it all by himself. If he thinks he can he will quickly meet the same fate as everyone else that thought that way.

In defense of DA, he came here with no confidence and was not given the opportunity to gain any. So he will leave the same way he came in. That is coaching.

As far as the 3 QBs we have now I don’t see where there is anything to think about. DA is in shambles; Max Hall appears to have the makings of a top QB if given the chance. Everything says we will not beat the Saints this week, then the bye week, then the Seahawks. What is there to think about, start Hall and give him 3 or 4 weeks to see if he has the right stuff? If not then you better go after a QB. Letting Matt go was a bad move and it didn’t take hindsight to see that!

Whether Beanie starts are not is immaterial. Tim and Beanie both need to be playing all the time and Whiz needs to get them in there together. They are the strength of the offense now and you have to go with your strengths ready or not.

Just my 2 cents.

56. By Huey on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Komar ran the correct route. He was running a clear out for Fitz. DA stared him down and should have gone back to Fitz. To bad Komar beat his man so bad that DA threw to him after staring him down causing the LB to slide over. He’s no Lance Long since he is 5′ 11″ and 202 Lbs. Now my question – Darren is it tough for you to politely answer all these question when they make statements like players running the wrong routes when they have no idea what was actually called?

57. By Tyrelle on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Will the Cardinals go look for a WR because if Fitz leave next year, the Cardinals are in trouble. Kind of stupid for Whiz and this front office to sit down and not do anything about this.

58. By Judy on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

If i were these guys and got beaten as bad as they did,i would have studied tape on Monday,then i would have been back on the practice field on Tuesday trying to work on some of the mistakes i made last Sunday.

59. By jim on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, why the love affair with two rookie QBs? You cant develop both? We NEED to pick up a backup with some experience, unless we are ready to pull the plug on the season, and then Whiz will lose the team. Why not give Culpepper a look? Hes not the answer either, but he at least has the accuracy to hit a wide open Steven Williams.

They have to give Beanie 20+ carries per game. Besides Fitz, he is the only play maker and really the only exciting player on the roster.

I also think the 3-4 has got to go. Dockett obviously is not adjusting well and off of his game. Also, I cant remember Adrian Wilson looking so exposed in coverage before. He is a great hitter, but not so much in coverage. If the line gets pressure on the QB more the safeties will get more help.

And I agree, get an OC not only to focus on game planning, but because we have so many young players that need developing. Whiz has his hands full just running the team, and keeping it all together if things keep going south.

A lot to fix, but still behind the team.

60. By cahongisto on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

So look i love Whiz but can I get your honest opinion on whether you think Dennis Green was a better talent evaluator than whiz? I mean he brought in fitz,boldin,dockett,smith,rolle,dansby and many others of that super bowl roster and while we have been letting those players go and going with guys whiz has drafted and helped sign to fill in the holes we keep going backward and I cant help thinking whiz is not the player evaluator we need him to be and I know its easy to say well thats graves job but Green found moss in minnesota and had years of success with the vikings finding talent and building talent… so just looking for your opinion on that as we can all see we have some issues with our current personnel… Thanks Darren have a good one man

61. By Casey on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

RE: Trades/Moves This Week

Continuing with Pat’s theme to start this thread (Cards are woefully underwhelming right now in the transactions column), how do you evaluate proactive moves being made by other teams to address their deficiencies? Again, I will ask, do Whisenhunt and Graves just have too much pride (=stubbornness) to admit past failures by making moves to get better? Have the Bidwills totally closed the vault for the remainder of the season? Are the Cardinals really just that satisfied with the play of their starters/reserves that they don’t think there are players out there who can help?

1. NFC West Division Rival Seahawks give up 3rd & 5th Round Picks for Marshawn Lynch (I’m sure you can find obscure comments out there somewhere expressing disagreement with any of these moves, but just humor me by sticking with legitimate, main stream media outlets in looking for feedback- Sando says this is definitely an upgrade for Seattle).

2. To address its deficiencies at WR with injuries to Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin, the Vikings give up just a 3rd Round Pick to obtain Randy Moss. Another team near and dear to my heart seems to come to mind when I think of WR deficiencies…. The Vikings are coming off of a very successful year last year and have high expectations this year (and I would say the same for the Cards, or at least they should have had high expectations this year).

3. To address its deficiencies in pass rushing, the Bears sign Charles Grant from the Omaha Nighthawks (yes, the guy fell from glory quickly after picking up a SuperBowl Ring). Let’s see, the Bears are 3-1.

4. In signing Charles Grant, the Bears decide to part ways with Mark Anderson (12 sacks as a rookie in ’06), making him available to another team with a deficiency at OLB- the Houston Texans with a base 3-4 defense. The Texans are 3-1 after losing one of their OLBs to injury in Week 1.

I understand how fickle this league can be- one team’s garbage is another team’s treasure (or hope note). But it just strikes me as arrogant and obtuse for this team to continue to sit on its hands week after week despite being ranked at the bottom or near the bottom in most meaningful statistical categories on offense and defense through 4 games (you and I are both smart enough to know that if the trends continue as they have been, this team will not continue to be 0.500, so let’s not use 2-2 to hide the glaring failures).

I don’t live in Phoenix, so maybe Rod Graves has already been on local media outlets on a regular basis providing some feedback and insights for fans, but I would really appreciate some sort of monthly or bi-weekly piece on this website with him. I would love to know what he thinks of the 4 moves above by other teams and why apparently there aren’t any similar moves out there that can be made by the Cardinals to try to rescue the season.

Thanks Darren,
    Casey

62. By Doug on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

In regard to the guy who wants to drop Komar for Jarrett; Dwayne has more DUI’s than he does TD’s.

63. By cardsalltheway on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

I was wondering what performance-enhancing drug(s) did Ed Gant use/was he using and how was it/were they taken?

64. By Jesse Robles on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

It is funny how Vikes can Get Moss and Seahawks can get Lynch, but the Cards CANT MAKE MOVES during the Season?? Hilarious.

65. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Rob —

RE: OC

I think Martz is employed. I think the Cards won 10 games last season — their best since moving to Arizona — with Whisenhunt calling plays. And while I think the offense has multiple issues right now, I don’t think playcalling is near the top of the list.

66. By jocards on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

I really need to know where everybody on this board gets their confidence in Max Hall. Don’t get me wrong, I understand Anderson has been very bad but what makes anybody think Hall will be better? I read folks saying Hall has all the tools, Hall can get it done, etc., etc. What are these assertions based on? Max Hall has done absolutely nothing and he was passed on in the draft by every NFL team. Again don’t get me wrong, I hope he can win in this league and I can understand if indeed he gets the nod this week but why are so many people acting as though he is this hugely talented rookie QB who only needs experience to become a big winner? The truth is we have no idea if Hall can be an effective NFL QB…we all hope he can though.

67. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Andre —

RE: Beanie

I think I understand why he feels the way he does. I think I am surprised he said it publicly.

68. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Defensive scheme

As I have said before, they are not changing in-season.

69. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Huey —

RE: Questions

Well, since in that case I have not looked into what was supposed to happen, I can’t even say for sure.

70. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Judy —

RE: Tuesday

Can’t. The CBA mandates the players get a day off.

71. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Cahongisto —

RE: Talent evaluation

Well, I think Denny was as hit and miss as anyone. Boldin was here before Denny arrived. Denny was lucky in the sense he arrived the year the Cards picked at the top of every round; Fitz was No. 3 overall, Dansby and Dockett were the first picks of the second and third round, respectively. That first draft was good (although the talent level was so low, some of those guys were forced to play. Stepanovich, for instance, was not anywhere close to the player Pete Kendall was. But Denny didn’t like Kendall, so he cut him. And Step was starting). He drafted Rolle but it was Whiz who made him a safety when Denny insisted he was a cornerback.

I am not saying Denny wasn’t good. But here were his three drafts. You tell me:

2006
    Rd. Sel.# Name Pos School
    1. 10 Matt Leinart QB Southern California
    2. 41 Taitusi ‘Deuce’ Lutui G Southern California
    3. 72 Leonard Pope TE Georgia
    4. 107 Gabriel Watson DT Michigan
    5. 142 Brandon Johnson OLB Louisville
    5. 177 Jon Lewis DT Virginia Tech
    7. 218 Todd Watkins WR Brigham Young

2005
    Rd. Sel.# Name Pos School
    1. 8 Antrel Rolle CB Miami (FL)
    2. 44 J.J. Arrington RB California
    3a. 75 Eric Green CB Virginia Tech
    3b. Darryl Blackstock LB Virginia
    4. 111 Elton Brown OG Virginia
    5. 168 Lance Mitchell LB Oklahoma
    7. 226 LeRon McCoy WR Indiana(PA)

2004 (Drafted 3)

72. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Casey —

RE: Graves

I will talk to him.

73. By Michelle on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I pray we can change things up….The cards have alot of talent! Both with offense and defense. However this last game our team was doing horrible. Why was A-dub playing corner back…he is a safty!! Why didnt the Cards grab McNabb when he was available?

74. By Giorgio on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

I think if the local sports media would stop the silly chatter amongst themselves and go out and earn a day’s pay and find how the hell the team got in this spot in the first place. Hey! I’m and Arizona grown boy and huge Cards/NFL fan, but has anyone ever thought that maybe the Cards are not very good when going live, and just a good practice squad??? This stuff about the NFL West being weak is crap. It’s the NFL for goodness sake. The knuckleheads who talk like that are the typical east coast so-called media geniuses, most of whom have not been west of the Missisippi River but once or twice. True, we were not much until Warner got hot for a few years w/his highwire act, but he had to put so many points just to eek out a win. AZ’s defense has been weak at best for years. Aside from receivers Fitz and Boldin-super guys-the receiving corps have been just okay. Breaston is solid. The offensive line has always struggled too (former coach Joe Bugel had the makings of a solid bunch before he left). Whizenhunt and Grimm know something about buiiding tough smart teams, since they played and coached w/some pretty good outfits: Redskins, Steelers, Jets. Any organization, profit or non-profit, can only masquerade so long. That said, having an NFL football club is better than not having one. So media moguls and beat reporters go to work and get the facts that you know are there for the taking. Yes, yes, we know about sponsors and advertisers, but geez let’s hear the real (not imaginary) stuff.

Big Cards Fan
    Giorgio of Scottsdale

75. By Voice of Reason on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren — you tweeted that the Cards acquiring Marc Bulger via trade made no sense. Why?

76. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

RE: Bulger

For all the same reasons I have said before: Installing a new QB in the middle of the season, the fact I question if he has anything left, the idea they could have had him before and didn’t take him and the reality that, why exactly would the Ravens trade their backup right now.

77. By Voice of Reason on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

And incidentally, Casey’s post is spot on.

78. By Voice of Reason on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren – yes, the Cards could have had him before, but didn’t because they already had four quarterbacks on the roster. Now that one was waived, another stinks, and we’re left with two rookies, I’d float a 4th round pick to the Ravens. You’re right, they may not be interested, but why not broach the issue. And Jeff Garcia can be had for the league minimum right now (ala Charles Grant).

To your point about bringing a vet in now and integrating him into the system — do you really think it could be worse? All this team (in this division) needs is a veteran who can recognize the blitz and is average in terms of accuracy. Garcia would provide that, and cheaply too…

79. By Ann M. Adam on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren_
    Much has been said here about team leadership. What I am wondering is how much is dependent upon acknowledgement. The specific example I’m thinking of is the many times Joey Porter has been quoted/covered before he even had time to be come a team member as opposed to Clark Haggans, who’s stats are better and yet he is not even noted. If one checks at the role they played back at CSU one can see the roles they played. This is taking NOTHING away from Joey. He can provide great motivation but leadership demands carry through over the long haul.

80. By cahongisto on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Alright Darren looking back on those drafts in comparison to Whiz’s drafts the only thing I would say is that Denny drafted 7 of our super bowl starters… I mean think of it this way… The team John Gruden won the super bowl with in Tampa Bay was basically built by Tony Dungy which then Gruden started bringing in his own guys and the team fell apart and I don’t want that to happen to the Cardinals or Whiz so guess only time will tell but I can’t help thinking although whiz was coaching the team he didn’t have as much to do with it as we all think… I mean the chiefs with Haley this season look fast and dangerous like we did in 08′ and with Whiz helping call the shots on what players are coming in although we have never looked like a fantastic regular season team this could be the worst team for us in the last three years very easily… anyways Darren always a pleasure keep up the good work man

81. By Rob on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren there you go again Martz was working for the NFL network last year and you can tell last year Kurt had a issue with the play calling last year and we win 10 game last year because we had a very good football team. I think if Todd H. were calling be plays were would have win 12-14 game,and you still didnt answer the question why does Whiz keep Bill D. around

82. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2010 | Reply

Rob —

RE: DC

Because he feels Davis is a good coach. Because he doesn’t believe in shredding the staff at the first sign of trouble.

2. Oct 5, 2010: Sports Review