• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Dockett: Play, not talk, does the talking

Posted by Darren Urban on October 8, 2010 – 12:44 pm

Darnell Dockett hasn’t had much to say recently — he has barely posted on Twitter and has avoided interviews — because right now, he doesn’t see a reason to talk.

“There is too much talking and not enough playing football,” the defensive tackle said. “That’s honestly how I have been approaching the last week — don’t talk about nothing and go play football, and maybe if people see me doing it they will do it too.”

Dockett said he knows if he doesn’t make the effort, someone (I assume he means fans and media) will talk about it. He noted that extra work can’t hurt him or anyone else, that when the day ends at 2:15 every day “it don’t mean you have to get off the field. I always feel every Wednesday and Thursday an extra  25, 30 minutes adds up to a great season. The field is there, the weight room is there, the film is there, anything you need to do extra is there, and that’s obviously what it needs to be. We need to put more time in everything, the whole team.”

Dockett said he did see more focus this week.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said the message has gotten across to the team that the best players have to play better. You would think Dockett would be in that group and Dockett, after a moment, agreed.

“I see a hell of an effort and that’s what I bring every game,” Dockett said. “I try to hold myself to a higher standard. I honestly don’t think he was talking to me, but I could be wrong … as a matter of fact, I’m not going to say I could be wrong because I would be wrong if I said that, so Im not trying to excuse myself. We made a lot of mistakes.”

– DE Kenny Iwebema (knee) and S Matt Ware (ankle) are questionable and will be game-time decisions. WRs Steve Breaston and Early Doucet are out for Sunday. DL Alan Branch (shoulder) and LB Paris Lenon (pelvis) are probable.

– Whisenhunt said there is a scenario where all three nose tackles — Bryan Robinson, Gabe Watson and Dan Williams — are active for a game, because Robinson can play end. That may be an option if Iwebema can’t go.

– Kurt Warner was back, taking in practice and getting ready for post-practice interviews as he and the FOX crew preps for Sunday’s TV broadcast.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Dockett: Play, not talk, does the talking”

1. By Andrew on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Just a pipe dream, but was Kurt tossin the ball around at all at practice? I mean, this would be a perfect year for him to play one last year and mentor the young QBs on the team.

2. By Chris Hill on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Man it’s great to see Kurt again… Kinda wishing he was wearing a red and white practice jersey though. Haha.
    Darren, do you know if Kurt had to drop some weight for his appearance on Dancing With The Stars? I know it’s incredibly off topic, but i’m curious. He looks a lot slimmer to me.

3. By Are You Serious? on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

That picture is painful.

4. By Tyrelle on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

:( I miss Kurt but back to the topic at hand. I’m glad that they are focusing and with the Saints injuries piling up, I think they can get a win before the bye week. They focus in practice but every time, this team has not put it on the field. They have a great practice and get on the field and act as if they are lost. They need to get it together.

5. By Richard Moore on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Robinson may be able to play Defensive End, but he sure can’t play Nose Tackle any more. It’s like he is on roller skates out there in the middle.

6. By Dan on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Kurt, please come back! We’ll give you whatever you want. Your own private jet, limo service to the stadium, and as many free box seats as you want. I’m sure you’re really missing the game right now and want to play so just come back!!! We all know you’re not Favre, you just made an error in judgement. You want to play for one more season and then call it quits. I know you probably wont be ready for the Saints, but with the bye week, you’ll be ready for the Hawks. Thanks Kurt, it’s really the only thing I want for Christmas.

7. By Zapp on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren

I recently read, I think it was on profootballtalk.com, that Beans was not getting a more carries due to he might rub some of the coaches the wrong way. Is their any truth to him being a like that? This was the only time I have read something like that though about him.

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

I hope Kurt calls it as he sees it Sunday. If so, perhaps the some coaches and players can benefit from his perspective. This is as close as Kurt will get to coaching in the NFL – commenting from the broadcast booth.

If Dockett wants to outplay his new contract as he said he does, this week would be a good week to get started. From the fans perspective, it doesn’t look good to get the insane contract and then just play average football.

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Kurt weight

Kurt is slimmer than last year. He actually complained when he was here a couple weeks ago that he wanted to put on a little weight and couldn’t.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Zapp –

RE: Beanie

That had no basis in fact.

11. By Jesse Robles on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

You would think Kurt is still our QB as much as everyone still talks about him, get over it! He is gone, it would be nice to have him yes, but we don’t. On to the next one! Lets go Maximus Prime its your TIME!! Rep ARIZONA to the Fullest!
    RED SEA!!

12. By KG on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

I wish for and hope for the day when we can all stop talking about how to fix/upgrade the QB position this season. At some point everyone needs to realize the following:

Kurt is NOT coming back.
    Trading for someone at this point in the season is NOT going to happen and frankly is a ridiculous notion.
    The QB’s on the roster are the guys they are going to use unless injuries and/or suspensions dictate otherwise.

13. By jocards on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Obviously if the Cardinals are to get a win this weekend they’ll need to play like an entirely different team than the one that showed up in San Diego. I believe they’re angry, I believe they’re practicing hard, I believe they’re soul searching but we’ll see if all that translates to playing solid football against the Super Bowl champs. They’ll have an undrafted rookie making his first NFL start under center, clearly the task in front of them is monumental….On any given Sunday and all that but the fact is they’ll have to play much better football to keep this Sunday from looking a lot like last Sunday. Let’s hope they’re ready!

14. By Tony28 on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Lets get it done cards the saints are champs but they been struggling to score so if u guys put up a full team defensive effort we will win this game.and oline plz protect mad max and the game is won… Lets go red sea

15. By NEAH.... on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

His back, alright, NOT….. Cards need to play at there best against the defending champs this weekend.

16. By LB on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

“By Are You Serious? on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

That picture is painful.”

I know right? It hurt as hell to see him so close to the team and yet so damn far…

17. By card62 on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren thank you for the note on the o – line and I am glad someone ask Coach Whiz about Brandon Keith. I understand and support Whiz that he does not wish to say too much and throw players under the bus publicly, but how can he say that Keith and the offensive line in general has not played poorly?

I try to support Coach, but when he makes a statement like this I just do not know what to think of coach. Darren how would you access our o line this season? I think they are playing poorly and would score them a D.
    I was optimistic about our line before the first 2 preseason games, but ever since those 2 games I have not been happy with the O line and I am very nervous about them come this Sunday.

This brings me to another point that others have also commented. Why don’t the Cardinals go out and try to acquire someone to help us this year? I do not mean old old guys like George Allen would find, but WR Jackson from San Diego and what are your thoughts on Mankins the NE Patriots guard?
    You know I also wanted Teddy Ginn for PR/KR this off season. I think proven players, warts and all because you know their warts, help teams wins and drafting rookies, well like momma says are like a box of chocolates.

Final point is Deion Sanders rated WR in the league right now and he had the two Johnsons 1 and 2 with Fitz 3, and I believe Moss 6, and Anquan 7th. Man we had it sweet with 3 and 7 and Breaston in the 3 hole. I know primetime is not all knowing, but he was one great cover CB so he should know something about ranking WR talent so my friend Darren I still say Randy Moss is a first ballot hall of famer and will bet you a steak dinner on Randy Moss ha ha.
    Everyone have a great weekend and Go Cardinals beat the Saints.

18. By Former Steeler Fan on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Although it won’t happen (unless Max or DA is injured), NAME SKELTON THE #2 QB (and let him learn OTJ just as Hall is doing)!!!

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Card62 –

RE: WR help

Breaston and Doucet are due back after the bye. Where does Vincent Jackson fit? As for Mankins, maybe if he hit the free agent market but in a trade, I don’t see it.

20. By Eazy E on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Where is Brandon McDonald? He could help us out alot in the secondary, put him out there and let him play.

21. By joe on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

the best run defense is scoring points. The oline has made some good plays and dropped a few plays too and a couple of those sacks where because Max did not step up into the pocket, which is understanble there is nothing that has happenes so far that working on fundies wont fix we have the talent now lets play like it.

22. By TBru on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

I think the comments section, are reruns from the last Warner visit, I have read them all before.

23. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Maybe after Kurt, sees the beating we are going to take. He will want to come back 1 more year. It’s not a good look watching your old teammates getting Killed!!

24. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Not having Dockett twitter is akin to DRC not stopping at McDonald’s.
    I know Alan Branch can slide over to DE, but Robinson also?

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Robinson

Robinson actually was a DE more often in his career before he came here.

26. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 8, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Darren. That was one of those comments that as soon as you hit “send” , you think “Uh Oh, you need to to think things through.”
    But I STILL think Robinson shouldn’t have made it to the final 53 and I know I’m not the only one.

27. By Jeff Gollin on Oct 9, 2010 | Reply

More and more, I’m feeling that the problem isn’t with our defensive players but with the coaching.

When you look at this group and dissect how they’re playing – it’s not that they don’t have the athletic talent. It sdoesn’t seem as if they’re not executing what’s being drawn up for them.

Rather, we don’t appear to have answers for what other teams are throwing at us. If Atlanta decides they have to play smashmouth, we don’t have an answer for that. When Rivers decides his go-to guy will continue to be his TE (Gates), we don’t address this.

And then, when we discover we’re not stopping anyone, our guys get frustrated, abandon their assignments and start to free-lance – & the whole deal unravels.

This failure to hold it all together seems to me to be more a function of leadership – both from the sidelines and from our veterans on the field – than it is overall talent or lack thereof.

Final point – When our Pro Bowl strong safety gives up cheap touchdowns early in games, it’s no different from when our QB throws a dumb pick-6. (The impact on the game is exactly the same).

28. By Sec 113 Rw 10 on Oct 9, 2010 | Reply

All Wiz has done this year is talk about how well the practices have been thru training camp and before each game and that they just needed to bring it to the game — and NOW, they are getting more focused???

I don’t understand this at all.

I love this team and Coach W, but come on! Let’s be honest, the coaching staff has not prepared this team to win this season. They are taking WAY too much for granted with the talent on this team and have been resting on their laurels.

Billy Davis, IMO, should be/is on the clock. If he doesn’t figure out a way to get the super powers on this defense working together, then he needs to go. There was NO secret we were not going to have an offense that is going to out score anyone and yet our defense is doing arm tackles and creating no pressure up front.

Come to think of it, why was Davis kept around after the 100 point give away in last year’s post season?

IF they are FINALLY focused on playing some football, we will see on Sunday. The Def has a true test in front of them. A normally dominate Offense has a hitch in their giddy up and we (as a Def) have an opportunity to capitalize on it and right this wrong.

If the Card’s want to make it to the post season this year — this might as well be the f’n superbowl.

29. By cardsalltheway on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Thank the almighty he has barely posted on twitter!

30. By John W. on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply