Saints aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 10, 2010 – 10:47 pm

Let’s just say the bye week is going to be much more enjoyable than expected.

The Cards don’t have a game for two weeks but know they will go to Seattle Oct. 24 no worse than tied for first place in the NFC West, and reside there by themselves tonight. The Rams and 49ers both lost Sunday (the Niners 0-5? Wow) and the Cards are where they should be.

All the ills aren’t cured. It’d be easy to say rookie quarterback Max Hall could have had four turnovers and not just one, since the Cards fell on two fumbles and Hall was fortunate his end zone pass right before his infamous fumble-TD-to-Levi-Brown was picked off.

But you can play that game all day. You think the Saints aren’t sitting back saying, “If we just hadn’t fumbled that ball that Kerry Rhodes returned …” etc, etc? This is football. The bounces sometimes have to go your way.

– Kurt Warner, moments before Rhodes had his game-changing fumble return for a TD, was asked by play-by-play guy Chris Rose about the Cards nursing a 16-13 lead in the fourth quarter. “I’m definitely surprised,” Warner admitted. Me too. But in a good way.

– With two big TD fumble returns in two weeks (and a long INT return in the season opener) for Rhodes, who says the Cards lost the ability to have a playmaking free safety with the ball in his hands when Antrel Rolle left?

He doesn’t do flips in the end zone, but I noticed he brought a little Lambeau Leap action to the north end zone crowd.

– Rhodes is the first Cardinal to have two fumble returns for a TD in one season since the great Leo Sugar in 1957. No, can’t say I knew of him either.

– Running back Beanie Wells wore a wide smile when he walked off the field. “Today,” he said, “we ran it.” Beanie only had 35 yards but he had a career-high 20 carries (compared to four for Tim Hightower). I asked coach Ken Whisenhunt if there was a reason the Cards went so heavy with Beanie today and Whiz said “Not really,” but obviously Beanie was thrilled.

– Wells had a fumble Sunday that wasn’t noticed much. It was his last carry on the drive in which Jay Feely booted his final field goal for a 16-13 lead. The ball bounced right back to him, but it was could have been disaster.

– I’m sure I’ll be writing about Hall – again – this week. But let’s say it was a good start. He wasn’t going to rip it up. But everyone can see why he engenders such confidence by the way he played. Was he a little crazy to barrel in toward the end zone on the play in which he was drilled and knocked woozy? I mean, didn’t he see Michael Vick get hurt on the same kind of play?

You know what? I still liked it. So did TD-scorer Levi Brown. “He’s a tough little guy,” Brown said. “He’s trying to gain respect of the team and I think he has it now. He doesn’t need to do that anymore. But he’s trying to make plays.”

– Here are some stats for the Cards’ defense to put on the résumé: The Saints had 13 snaps in the red zone Sunday. They gained 22 yards. Drew Brees threw eight passes, completing just three for all of two yards. And there was a false start in there.

– Cards are 3-2 under Whisenhunt for a fourth straight year. They have never been 2-3 under Whiz. And that’s nine straight times the Cards have followed a loss with a win.

– I feel bad special teams didn’t get more props today. The Hyphen has 60- and 48-yard kickoff returns to start, punter Ben Graham pinned the Saints deep a few times (including the effort by Michael Adams to down it at the 1 just before the Paris Lenon interception) and Andre Roberts looked solid on punt returns. Feely simply kicked all his field goals. A great day for Kevin Spencer’s charges.

– Special teams killed the Saints, especially the miss of the 29-yard field goal by veteran John Carney. That was the Saints’ last chance to lead (it was 13-13 at the time). After the Sebastian Janikowski easy miss last home game, maybe there is a such thing as field-goal defense even without a block.

“It gave us momentum when they missed the field goal, gives you that spark,” defensive end Calais Campbell said. “The big thing, it was getting pressure, getting a push. The kicker he sees us and maybe he adjusts his kick a little bit if we get our hands up. I think our crowd gets in the heads a little bit. They are loud. That was I thought as loud as I’ve heard it since the NFC Championship game.”

– DRC must love Breast Cancer Awareness games. His last two INT returns for TDs came in that game – sporting pink today and last year too in his game-winning pick-6 at UoP Stadium against Houston.

– Larry Fitzgerald had his best game today of the season (seven catches for 93 yards, including a spectacular grab over the middle while being facemasked) but take away the catches and Fitz was just as clutch. Fitz was the one who broke up the near-interception by Malcolm Jenkins in the first half to give Levi his chance, Fitz grabbed the Saints’ try at an onside kick, and he also saved the Cards when Ben Patrick fumbled in the last few moments and the Saints managed to keep it from going out of bounds.

OK, that’s plenty. I write this while watching the game on DVR (Fitz is just getting the onside kick now). A big win. A lot of season to go. But at the bye, 3-2 sounds pretty good.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

108 Responses to “Saints aftermath”

1. By NerdlyNerd on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

2. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Darren, did the Cards win with Hall or in spite of Max? And you can’t say “both”.
    And is this team, one game behind in terms of NFL best record, ready for take off or landing? (Only winning teams on schedule are TB and KC.)

3. By Chris B on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Just cause I have to say it again:

Max’s INT- watch the replay… had he taken just a second longer he would have noticed Komar was WIDE OPEN (defender slipped and was down) and he was past the sticks too with no one even close. And, if Fitz made a block it could have gone for 6.

Way to win the game defense. And how about Mighty Mike Adams? Big tackles and passes defended today (granted the one he missed was against the top WR and it was a TD).

Opposing Offenses- Pick on Toler and Adams all you want to. I’m OK with that.

Rhodes- Welcome to AZ.

Levi- HAHAHA! Nice….

Player of the Game: LaRod Stephens-Howling.

Fans: Don’t be concerned with the low yardage on offense. Drives started at Saints 45, 50, 20, 2 and Cards 45. Not too bad. And definitely makes for a short field.

4. By Secret on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

I like the stat that the Cards haven’t gone with two losses in a row since 2008. Keep this up, the Cards can make it to the playoffs 8-8!

5. By James on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Great game! It was surely unorthodox with no “traditional” touch downs, but frankly who cares. The cards are a resilient team, well coached, and obviously talented from top to bottom. I love that Fitz got his groove on today, Max has some good chemistry with Fitz. Max showed a lot of poise and leadership today, I am very impressed but not surprised! With Max’s precision, vision, and a full game under his belt, I am confidient the Cards will be making a solid push from here on. Plus, I love Beanie’s 20 “defense punishing” runs. The defense played amazing as they should be. In those two forgettable games (Atlanta and SD), it seemed as if the D was over thinking and playing slow, which is hardly the case. Pursuit angles were much better today, tackling was solid (great job Mike Adams), and the D-line and backers were in the backfield. Can’t forget to give props to the O-Line, you are all a sharp alert bunch that is going to bring some hurting on the NFC West!

6. By R Robles on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Finally ball just rolled our way thank God We needed it too way to much bs last couple weeks GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!! Way to win

7. By Michael on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Any more info on Tim Hightower? Why wasn’t he more involved, especially near the goaline?

8. By Prashant on Oct 10, 2010 | Reply

Woohooo!!! Cardiac Cards are back, and man am I ecstatic.

I hope we have our wide receiving corps back at full strength for the next game.

Darren, Andre seems to have found his rhythm and is contributing more and more. I liked his catch, in spite of the interference. I do hope he continues to improve. Also, do you know how Breaston is coming along? I hope he will be able to practice with Hall over the next two weeks.

9. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

FIrst off I hope Stephen Williams is ok, he is my guy I think will be our #2 in the future, nothing against breaston. Hall played a good game, that did help us win. Beanie got his carries, but the Saints D was all about the run. I knew we could win this game. What is even better is the Rams and Niners both lost. I think Rhodes, Toler, Feely, Grahm, and Larod Stephens-Howling all deserve props because they have been playing the most consistent on this team. Great win to go into the bye with, get ready for them Seahawks in Seattle, last time was pretty good, hopefully we can do the same. Lets Go Cards!! 1st in the NFC WEST BABY!!!!!

10. By dan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall is one tough cookie, love the way he plays but I hope he doesn’t take any more hits like that. He made some beautiful throws and knows when to make a touch pass…..hehe! We lucked out getting Max, so much for the NFL Draft.

11. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

If that is who were are going to be, that was a straight AFC WIN, with some previous AFC help in Rhodes and Feely. Lets go Cards!!

12. By John W. on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The Rams got blown out today. This is happening a lot to NFC West teams. The Cards with SD and ATL, The 49ers with Seattle and KC, The Seahawks with the Rams and Broncos, and the Rams with Lions. Our division is bad, but getting blown out a lot is really bad.

13. By CardinalsFavor on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

As always, great write-up!
    What a nice way to close out week 5. Tomorrow, I’m going to collect from some Saint fans.

14. By BigPaulie on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Cards are on their way to 9-7…and that’s enough to win this division!

15. By darrel on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren d washington made some. Good plays too but what happend to steve willams is he going to be ok ..I. saw that he didn’t return to the game after that hit

16. By SergeM on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

you called it earlier in the week Darren when you said the defense needed to have a game like two years ago against Carolina and last year against the Vikings props to you on that…

17. By Skiprim on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

DVR is totally the way to go. I’ll assume you use Cox. Anyway, is channel 734, Fox Sports Arizona in HD not working for you? It hasn’t worked for me in months. (assuming you have HD)

Also, if you have HD and this channel, is 782, Showtime HD not working for you?

I CAN’T WATCH DEXTER IN HD UNTIL THEY FIX IT FOR ME!

18. By Devin on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The Cardiac Cardinals rise again. Darren, has any previous Cards rookie QB won his first career start? I know you went over Plummer, Navarre, and Leinart last week, but has it ever been done?

19. By Mack on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals haven’t lost 2 regular season games in a row since the 2008 season. I feel comfortable now that we wont have a losing season, as every time we lose we win straight after!! =D

20. By Chris Nelson on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present, so nice to be in 1st place in the NFC West, Again, … Enjoy the “simi” slow week Darren, I know Ill be Enjoying my Oct. 12 birthday I share with A-Dub! Happy Birthday Adrian! Hope the foot dont bug you to much for they next few days!

P.S. LOL — told u Darren that this team just needed to get the hell away from DA…. Speaking of the second rate QB, hows our WR his lowsy pass injured?
    Hope Stephen Williams is ok, he was getting better each game. Oh and yea Roberts is showing us why we drafted him, great day on the punts and wonderful day catching the passes!
    P.P.S. I hear a few teams may need a QB to back up their injured ones for the next few weeks,.. I say we dump DA off for a 2ed or 3rd round Draft Pick and go pick up someone that has aged but was once a decent completion % passer and elevate Skeliton to 2ed string… lol Just some thoughts.

21. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Clark Haggins, Nice shot on Brees and 3 N out by the “little D” on first set of downs in 2nd half.

22. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Gotta give credit to Hall on the attempt to get the ball back(but that’s natural so please calm down AZ Maxy Hall Hero/Savior fanatics) which bounced the ball to Faneca. Good pick up Faneca!

23. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

NO had a 70 yard rushing average per game and they reached that against the Cards half way into the 3rd quarter.
    Near the 50 yard line NO has the ball 1st and 15 after an offensive 5 yard penalty with about 7 and a half minutes left in the 3rd quarter, the score is 13 – 13, 2nd down and 15 but the Cards “little D” or coverage choses to play off so Brees can easily throw quickly to the side and pick up 7 yards. The Cards “little D” blows.

24. By ross on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you expect timmy to be phased out like today?

I was a bit surprised. I guess he needs to whine to the media.

25. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Okay, I watch the games across the ocean which meant 5 in the morning this week. I’ve been sick for about 2 months but opened a bottle of Vodka and watched the first half live. I’m now watching the rest of the game archived but who cares? The one thing I’d like to mention is how sick I am of AZ fans blindly thinking “Maxy” Hall is the Savior. I really dislike nationalism(other countries HATE America) and think their country/their “pure blood” is the best so when I read AZ Cardinal fans rooting on “Maxy” Hall I get a sick feeling in my stomach.

26. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

If you didn’t get it, the above post meant that AZ fans blindly like “Maxy” Hall b/c he is from Mesa, AZ.

27. By Dave the Optimistic Season Ticket Holder on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Remember when some of us fans this summer said we should go with Max Hall as our starting QB, and you said “Frankly, suggesting that means you have no credibility whatsoever.” How about an apology big guy.

We just took downed the world champs!!!!!

28. By TBru on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Check out the lead story on the USA Today sports section. Go Cards

29. By Tyrelle on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Well Nerdy, we need our defense to show up every week. We still love our team but sometimes they don’t play how they should. If they show up like this every week, we can get to 9-7.

30. By Dave on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

“Fact: The Cardinals are the best in the league at having fans bummed one minute (30-point losses to ATL and SD), psyched the next (monumental Saints win).”

They aren’t the cardiac Cards for nothing. Anyone catch the 9ers game? They at one point were booing everything Smith did and calling for Carr. I love how the pundits chose the 9ers to sweep the divison this year….but look who’s back on top baby!

31. By tom manoogian on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

say what you want but i saw alot of heart out there today.very proud of the way they came back.don’t think any cards fans saw this coming.2 really bad games,but 3-2 at the bye is as good as we could have hoped for.get rested,then go to seattle and hurt there feelings.

32. By moe on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

darren,

can we expect more plays out of the playbook for max considering that where headed into a bye week an extra week to prepare and study and could you say whiz will stay with him as the starter for now

33. By CardinalSwagger on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I love em’ Cardinals!!!

34. By Old Cards Fan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

WooooooHoooooo!now that”s how you play defense. nine-o,a-dub.rhodes,toler,drc the whole def. deserve a game ball.must play like this the rest of the season and to “MAD MAX” you are not at byu anymore this is the NFL a qb can not run into three 300 pound def. linemen im glad you only lost your helmet on that play. SLIDE MAN SLIDE 1 MORE THING O- LINE GOOD GAME.

35. By aaaaudio on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall still looked better than DA. He has a much better touch and is more entertaining. He will get better. His numbers looked a little better as well. We are thrilled to have watched them beat the Saints. We did not give them much of a chance. The Hyphon has been on fire! Can you say ProBowl?
    Good to see Max break the losing streak of the rookie starters. However like you mentioned Darren, he had a better surrounding cast to begin with than the other rookies of past. Nice to see the D finally show up. Seattle game now becomes HUGE!

36. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

This certainly has the potential to be the Cards most important game of the season. It’s still early, but it certainly looks like they have found themselves and their confidence again, and doing it against the defending Super Bowl champions to boot.

A great game to set the tone for the rest of the regular season and the remainder of the schedule which sets up very favorably for the Cards if they maintain this level of energy. And they certainly should – they now have a confident competitor of a QB with a ton of upside. Everyone has seen that Hall has the potential to be bright light of the future for everyone on the team — not a dark, dead end of a season that Derek Anderson’s consistently poor play inspired.

Hall may not end up being a savior in terms of gaudy personal stats, but as long as he inspires hope and confidence in his teammates and brings out their best every Sunday, he will have saved this team’s season. Certainly, the offense needs to get better and Hall has much to learn, but the team much to be excited about when they return from the bye. The team now has a strong, young cornerstone to build their future on. If nothing else, Larry is feeling a big sense of relief.

Instead of hoping not to loose, the Cards can now expect to win.

37. By Are You Serious? on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

It looked BAD when Hall had his ankle/knee rolled on early (he was limping afterwards). Any update?

38. By ChrisZ on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Moxy Max Hall!!! I love this kid! You can see everyone rally around his play, this was the first game this season that I have seen the guys “fired up” and in return I was fired up in my living room watching. Great game plan, great execution. D, special teams, offense, and coaching I thought all did a great job today. Yes there were mistakes but that is the best ball we have played this season and sweet sweet revenge on the Saints. Who dat say dey gon beat them CARDS!!

39. By georgiebird on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Good article but you sum up well in the 1st sentence. (enjoyable for all)
    Heard a stat Cards are the 2nd team ever to score 30 points without an offensive
    rushing or passing TD.
    With all the good fortune yesterday, wonder what would have happened if Jeremy Urban had held on in the playoffs.
    Win was great but there was a lot of good and bad yesterday. Whiz should keep the sense of urgency that was around last week and continue the search for the right combination of guys to keep the momentum going.

40. By John on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Now that was ‘ENERGY’! What an overall effort. I feel bad for DA, though, because it’s seems none of the bounces went his way, but maybe it’s an ‘Aura’ thing, who knows? Maybe Max’s attitude creates that kind of confidence and energy. All I know is that was a fun game to watch and the bye will be good for the team but will be eternity for me.

41. By jocards on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I was as vocal as anyone ripping the team when they played terribly against Atlanta & San Diego so I have to take my hat off to the team today! Great win! Got a few breaks, got some turnovers, that’s part of how you win in the NFL and I’m fine with that! Defense showed up big, over all a great effort. Max Hall wasn’t great but he did show some good things out there and I can see why the team likes him. Offensive line pass protected much better & the special teams chipped in big with field position. I have to hand it to the whole team and coaching staff. It was a gut check game against the Super Bowl chammps and everybody responded…go into the bye week feeling good and come out of it ready to get after it. A win like yesterday’s can change the complexion of the entire season, especially in the NFC West. Great job!

42. By Peter in Canada on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Hall’s stats were not that great but he gives the team something that ML and DA couldn’t (inspiration?). Warner was very good in his commentary saying that Hall can make plays and once he learns to take what the defence gives and not try to force when u don’t have to he will be very good. Hall also gives the fans hope which was something the other QB’s didn’t. I know Whiz is not a fan of rookie QB’s but he really had no choice because the players as well as the fans seemed to be losing confidence and frustration was setting in. It showed when Anderson came in and threw a sideline pass to Williams that was off target and he was almost cut in half. Hall looked like a veteran when they had the empty backfield set and I think the bye week and two weeks of reps will do him a world of good. After a poor first quarter the defence played inspired football. Adams, who has been criticicised was good and was beaten once. When Brees avoided the sack he was left with too much to do against a good receiver. For a team in transition with the loss of Warner it appears that a new dawn has arrived earlier than we might have anticipated.

43. By TucsonTim on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Anyone else have an Atlanta/49’s interception/fumble nightmare flashback while DRC was running all over the field trying to score a meaningless touchdown?

44. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Watching the postgame press conference with Max Hall, I couldn’t stop thinking he looks a bit like Steve Beuerlein.

45. By Nick on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Finally the Defense makes some huge plays ! Thats what we thought they were capable of all season. We thought they would be the ones making huge plays while the offense was sputtering and thats exactly what happend. Max also played great if you take out that 1st pick early you could say he played flawless. He got the ball to Larry and did just enough to put his team in posistion to win. Max brought the crowd back into the game its like it lit a fire under our butts. The crowd was jacked !

Rise Up Red Sea !!!!!!
    Lets Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. By jwit on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

So fickle, us fans are…

Any update on Stephen Williams? Hopefully nothing serious

47. By Wampag on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

D- you know some QB’s have that special vibe an energy that you cannot explain and hrnever shows up on the stats when they enter the draft, think about Levi Brown getting his first TD or Faneca(sp) grabbing that fumble, think about if the refs had seen the blatent pass interference on Fitzy that would have put us on the goal line, Hall is going to make mistakes but he has it, the IT that ML didn’t have that zest that nmakes everyone around him including the D make plays. win or lose I like this kid and I really feel like we have a QB he might not be perfect but he is a leader and that’s all you can ask for

now i have to ask we have this amazing O line and Grimm is a great coach and I think Wellls and Hightower are great compliments to each other…where is our run game? we need to be able to finish ga,es on the O line..what do you think the problem is?

48. By Jones from IL on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Chris Berman kills me – The Cardinals??? over the Saints – what’s wrong with the Saints? as if the Cardinals had nothing to do with the Saints turnovers. How about some credit to the Cardinals.
    I think he said it was the 1st time in NFL history that 30 points were scored without a rushing or passing touchdown – OK we do have some room for improvement, but MAX was completing passes. Hope the O line can open some creases for Beanie and Tim to get the running game going. GO BIG RED – Very proud to be Cardinals fan.

49. By Peter in Canada on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren- I am old enough to remember Leo Sugar. I would not say he was great but he was a good defensive end on a truly awful bunch of Cardinal teams in the mid to late 1950’s. He was the only real stopper on the defence. By the time they went to St. Louis he was past his prime. He really is a blast from the past.

50. By D ryans on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Max Hall is the anti-DA. Mobility, accuracy, confidence, and a quick release with touch. He is everything DA is not. Good call Whiz, now i truly believe in your competition at every position. During camp and pre-season Max looked to be the best at the QB position, even better than the overpaid Leinart. Their is a lot to be said for a guy making peanuts and trying to make a name for himself. That is why college football is so exciting and Max still has that spirit.

51. By Lone-Eagle on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

SaffordTodd,
    I am not one to mince words, so I’ll put this point blank! I am not a band wagon fan!!! I am passionate about my team, and I get very frustrated, and wear my emotions on my sleeve when I see all the talent on our team and they play the way they have been playing, with a lack of consistency. When I say pathetic, I mean that it would have been a pathetic call and decision to put Anderson in for Hall!! Had Hall been taken out due to what everyone thought(concussion), and Anderson continued the game, no matter how good the defense was I believe we los that game, plain and simple! Hall didn’t win the game yesterday, but he did a Hell of a job managing the game!! His passer rating was far better than Anderson for the season, and when Anderson came in just before half, he did what he has done all season, 3 and out!! That is pathetic!! Anderson has no right in my opinion being on a field, (I wont go into the specifics)!!! My opinion is simple, (it maysound foolish) but that is okay. Make Skelton the back-up and put Anderson where he belongs, 3rd string. Nice job Defense, excellent job!! Hall keep up the great work, it’s only going to get better and easier!!

52. By Dylan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Welcome back the fair weather fans. You were not missed…

53. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The Nice part of this is though Hall made a lot of mistakes he did do a lot of good things and so much upside to his learning. He will learn and get better protecting the ball.
    For the defense, they showed up BIG TIME, thats the D we know!
    Great Win!

54. By phoenixraven1 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

It was an incredible game! It was so loud! I don’t think anyone was sitting the second half!

55. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Big Big win Redbirds! Madmax is Raising Arizona!!

D! played Great together” Finally, now they just don’t look great on-paper!

Does this mean no more Twitter??(LOL)

1st place, undefeated at home!!

Cards 3-2 sea-chickens 2-2, Lambs 2-3, an Whiners 0-5

56. By NYCARDSFAN on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I cant even begin to say how proud I am of our CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job getting those @#$%@$#% er’s back after what they did to us last year in the playoffs! It was hard to notice what they did to Drew’s head. He was all disoriented and shaken up! GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont care if we win another game for the rest of the season since we beat the S@#$ out of the AINTS! You wanna know “who dat”……. WE DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the h-e double hockey sticks did HALL get his juevos?! Running head on into 3 defenders?! Coulda been bad…but it turned out good so it doesnt matter. Everybody was right on yesterday and it was so good to see them playing like a team again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren get this joke!!!!!! LOL Lets Go RedBirds!!

Even though the San Francisco 49ers are one of the NFL’s three currently winless teams and mired in last place in the NFC West, owner and president Jed York predicted they are going to bounce back in historical fashion.

“We’re going to win the division,” York predicted Monday morning in a text to ESPN.

58. By emm7777 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

The only thing better than the Cards being 3-2, the 49ers being 0-5! Hahahaha I love it!

59. By Chuck (formerly "Former Steeler Fan") on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Now, make the QB switch complete.
    Make DA inactive and name Skelton the #2.
    After all, if Max is unable to play, what kind of performance does Whiz expect from DA?
    You’re right. More of the same.

60. By Rody on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Glad our defense showed up. They can be one of the best in the leauge when they want to be. Hall was decent but can get much better. A win is a win and ill take it. Kerry Rhodes is an animal and was flying all over the field. 2 touchdowns in two games because he is persuing the ball and not giving up. He is making his case to be my 5th Cardinals jersey. GO BIG RED! Definetly going to be easier not have the cards to watch next week with this win.

Darren do they practice at all? from what I remeber its usally once?

61. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Hall impact

I am going to say with him (and not I didn’t say because of him).

He creates a belief that is needed out there. That’s the simple answer.

62. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Prashant —

RE: Breaston

Isn’t doing much now. They aren’t going to rush him, but two weeks is a long time before the next game.

63. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

RE: Hightower

Whiz decided to change it up. I expect to ask about that again today.

64. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darrel —

RE: S Williams

As I mentioned in the notes, he hurt his back and ribs. Being reevaluated.

65. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Skiptim —

RE: Cox

Fox Az seems OK. I don’t have Showtime.

66. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Devin —

RE: Rookie Cards QBs

I haven’t done that research.

67. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall —

RE: Your illness

Kind of like how we’re all getting sick of how over-the-top negative you are being.

So again, you are being warned — criticize Max if you want. I’ll post it. You keep calling him “Maxy” — using it derisively — and I won’t post it. Your call.

68. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Dave —

RE: Hall starting

I still don’t think Hall should have been starting at that point. I still think the right course of action was to start with a veteran (although I probably would have gone with Leinart first). I think going with an undrafted rookie at that point would have been a terrible message.

That said, I am thrilled Hall won his first start. He still needs to improve for this team to make the playoffs.

69. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Moe —

RE: Hall playbook

I do expect Whiz to expand what Hall will be able to do going forward.

70. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Are you —

RE: Hall injuries

Max insisted he was fine. And he obviously played on it. He said it was his shin, BTW.

71. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

RE: Run game

It needs to be better. But part of that yesterday is what happens when you have only one veteran receiver and a rookie QB. The other team is gonna sell out against the run because they are not afraid of the pass.

72. By Ross on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Can you ask Whiz what does Tim Hightower have to do to get his carries? He is too valuable to just be used in pass protection.

73. By brad oneill on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

i just want to be the first to point out that despite a subpar game max hall is now on pace to beat tom bradys quickest qb to 100 wins record. :)

Go max go cards!!!!

I suspect if the defense gets max to the play offs he just might get them to the super bowl. its all about learning on the job now. lets get him as ready as we can.

74. By redseafan85 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

all hail mad max the savior!

75. By cheesebeef on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I didn’t agree with some of the play-calling at the end of the game and I’ve been pretty critical of a couple moves or non-moves (NOT Leinart, his ass was grass), but it is GREAT to see Wiz’s team continue on their hallmark of RESILIENCY and that is an unbelievable trait for a team to have, especially one with a history like ours. Four years, always over .500 into the 2nd quarter of the season is damn impressive, no matter how they get there.

Great time for the bye. Hopefully we get one of our WRs back, maybe Hayes gets closer and clsoer to returning giving us some depth and who know, Schofield come sin late season to provide a blow to the OLB who are gonna be sucking wind by kick-off come week 10. Who freaking knows? But I do know that this win just gave this team a cushion to get better than I had ZERO expectations of getting this year.

Great win… GREAT WIN. Now starters get rested, Max get more reps and injured guys get healthy. This pathetic division is ours for the taking and hopefully we can sit back and watch our 8-8 team host another playoff game that EVERYONE will bitch about (none of that was said in sarcasm… this team, this year will take what it can get and be damn happy to do so!)

76. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Rody —

RE: Practice

They will practice, but methinks, especially after this win, it’s going to be a very, very light week.

77. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Cardsall needs to go, it sounds like you are the only one who feels that way. Hall went to a BIGGER school in BYU and played against BETTER opponents. Me too being from Mesa, AZ I don’t care if it was Max, Skelton, or DA if he played good. Anyone that gives us the extra motivation we need at that position and whoever can help us win should be in there. I don’t care if he came from the Moon, bottom line is he can learn from the mistakes he made yesterday, and hopefully he can continue to help us win.

78. By Jesse Robles on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

PROPS TO THE RED SEA!!! We were loud, I never sit down when Im at the Stadium, but we need to be loud like that and be pumped like that EVERY GAME!!!

79. By Andrew on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think are division is bad I mean just look who we had to play over the last few weeks (ALL teams in West NFC) I can say it’s not the worst division in the league. just look at the NFC north everyone in that division is struggling except the BEARS!! THE BEARS!! how can anyone say that are division is weaker then theirs!

80. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: “Weak” division

I think all that talk is moot. It doesn’t make the division title any less important. Just grist for the media debate.

81. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes we can all benefit from adversity to recognize that the easy, conventional routine we’ve been lulled into thinking isn’t always the best option available. No risk, no reward.

Fortunately, we didn’t have to wait for our veteran QB Derek Anderson to get hurt before Whiz pulled the plug on Anderson. Injuries are what gave Brett Favre and Big Ben their first starts, and they haven’t looked back. There are no guarantees with Hall, but at least he’s getting his chance to prove to Whiz he made the right decision in not being stubborn. Max is the type of guy who will give Whiz everything he’s got to return the favor to Whiz and prove the naysayers wrong (i.e. those who say you don’t give a rookie QB a chance at starting, blah, blah, blah…).

82. By Ross on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, a stat for you. Since the beginning of last season: Timmy averaging 4.60 yards per carry to Beanie’s 4.2.

83. By John on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Why do you even bother with some of these meaningless statistics. That’s what really annoys me about some sports fans and writers. Who cares what someone’s completions are when they are wearing pink, on the 3rd Sunday of the month, when its partly cloudy, etc. etc.?? Does anyone else wonder in amazement at the baffling offensive play calling this team does? I noticed even Kurt Warner said hmm interesting call. Such as on 3rd and 1 bringing Hightower in place of Beanie who was in for 1st and 2nd downs and running Hightower up the middle on a pro bowl offensive line that ended in no gain. Beanie is almost a sure thing to get at least 1 yard. I can see the coach likes to have the attitude “I want everyone to make an effort” but cmon this game is about winning. This same situation happened twice in the 2nd half, the other tine was 3rd and 2 and he replaced Beanie with Hightower but went for an incompleted short pass. I think its time for an offensive coordinator.

84. By tyman on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Wow that was nice to see. The D has finaly stepped up, but they still had struggles against the run. Hopefully they can work on the run def during the bye week. I think you can see the big difference between DA’s rocket passes and Max Halls Catchable balls. Max did good and looks like he could be the answer that we have been looking for at QB. Good job Whiz and the cards!

85. By Don't Take Losses on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Winning ugly is fun. Wow, Kerry Rhodes. Washington looked good too. Toler. Branch Dockett.

Darren: Was our scheme changed to put Rhodes more into coverage so A Dub was freed so he could hit?

86. By card62 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Thank you defense and special teams for the win. No way we come close without you. Thank you defense for showing heart and playing hard all game.
    Anyone misses Rolle or was Rhodes an improvement?
    Toler I really like your game and you are getting better and better.
    DRC good game, but put some mustard on that hot dog and slide down at the end of the game. DRC was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread and I hope Wilson lights him up privately. We actually had a DD, and Joey Porter sighting and CC played well so keep it up guys. Team made me proud win or lose this game with their energy and effort and I do consider this by far our best game of the year, but our offense is still very poor. Max Hall did very very well for his first start, but I worry about his health and ability to be able to finish games. I think at this point DA is still our backup, but I am rooting for Skelton to learn the offense and become our backup over time this year. The Jets were able to run the ball last year with rookie QB and very little at WR so I am hoping our line can do better than we did against the Saints. I think Timmy and LSH would have carried more if we could have averaged better than we did, under 2 yards a carry. I think we can make all our running backs happy if we can just run the ball better and keep the offense on the field for more chances.
    GO Cards and enjoy the off week. Stay hungry defense and special teams as this year success or failiure is on you.

87. By Ross on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

John, since stats are meaningless, Beanie has gained zero yards or less on 24.4% of his carries since beginning of 2009. Timmy has gained zero or less on 20.4% of his carries since beginning of 2009.

just saying.

88. By clssylssy on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    “Mad Max is Raising Arizona”…love it and right on the money! Even a blindman
    could have seen the fire he lit under his teammates as well as the crowd yesterday, “making his bones” by playing fearless, playing hurt and demonstrating a poise and confidence beyond his rookie status. To Cardfanforlife in Europe, we ,who life in the valley, have seen this young man play high school ball winning championships, are familiar with his close family connection to pro-football and believe in his capabilities beyond the hype.
    For a debut in the NFL, he may have made mistakes but they were minor in comparison to what he brought to the table. I was one of the few who believed this game was winable and predicted that we would show the WhoDat Nation, WhatDat. I, enjoyed the game in the company of rabid Saints fans who had nothing but praise for the way the Cards played, Hall’s toughness, and Coach Whisenhunt for allowing him to finish the game. It may have been an “unorthodox” win but it sure wasn’t boring! It’s great to see the Red Sea Rise Up again and expect to see a reinvigorated Cards continue their march to another Division Title.

89. By Bob on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I called it! Cards beat the saints. it’s all about the energy :o) what comes around goes around.

90. By NYCARDSFAN on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

And finally something positive from the media regarding the cards.. Check out this cool story. Larry is one hell of a guy boy. Really glad to have him and all else like him on our team.

91. By Doug on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

John,

“Why do you even bother with some of these meaningless statistics. That’s what really annoys me about some sports fans and writers. Who cares what someone’s completions are when they are wearing pink, on the 3rd Sunday of the month, when its partly cloudy, etc. etc.??”

You cared enough to respond apparently…

92. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Take —

RE: Scheme change

I don’t know that, although it did look that way.

93. By NYCARDSFAN on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I have a really good feeling about Max Hall. Not saying that he is the messiah…but I think he may be exactly what we need as fans and what our team needs. Judging by the article I just cut and pasted, I think the team may feel the same way. Yes I know its only the first game for him, but the poise, attitude, and the ” I am only leaving the field if I get knocked out or have broken bones”. I am truly impressed with his character. I havent seen that in any of our other QB’s eyes. Max is a real predator and once he gets a few games under his belt, I really believe he is gonna make a difference for us. Thanks for helping to give us fans and the players the shot in the arm we needed MAX! Now lets get behind this kid and win us a division championship, again!

94. By Flier on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I know that the run game depends on having a dependable quarterback and receivers, however, why would the coach run Beanie 20 times for only 35 yards. Is he telling Hightower that Beanie is a better pass blocker and break away runner? I can’t see that. Also, how does Hightower keep a positive attitude when he sees how poorly Beanir ran?

95. By darrel on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Thanks darren this guy is way over the top .. never even played one down of football in your life. So how do u know anything about football

96. By Fitzgirl11 on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

WHATTA GAME…loved the fact they had to put our red bird up on the screen to tell us fans in the stadium to quiet down cause our offense was working…that is exactly what we need EVERY GAME…the RED SEA ROSE UP…WEPPAAAAA!!!….to all u so called true fans that decided to sell ur tickets cause the season was over bet ur kickin urself now huh…defense doing their jon.. offense still needs some fine tuning but they made it work….special teams was good… balanced game…this win is def. something to build on… i dunno bout the rest of u card fans but i needed this bye week along with the cards…

@ NYCARDSFAN thanx for sharing that Fitz article..that is why i like him…

I LOVE LARRY = )

97. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Flier —

RE: Hightower attitude

Because Tim is the kind of guy who will keep his mouth shut — he might talk to Whiz, but not publicly complain — and be a team guy, which is one of the reasons Whiz likes him so much.

98. By Justin Wheeler on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I watched the game live and want to make it clear that I am very happy with the way all of our players responded. We appear to be OK and Max Hall looks like a better leader then DA already.

My concern comes with the inepitude of the coaching staff in the final two minutes of the game. First, an all out blitz leaving Mike Adams one-on-one with anybody is never a good idea, much less when the Saints were strapped for time. Making the Saints take longer on the TD drive would have made the final Cardinal possesion irrelivant. The call to pass with a rookie QB on third down when the other team is out of timeouts was terrible. If the Saints recover that fumble, Brees gets a great shot to win the game for his team. Most folks are ignoring the poor play calls because we still won, but had we not gotten lucky, imagine what these comments would be saying about Whisenhunt and the offensive coaching staff.

99. By Peter in Canada on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Justin- I agree with what you say re the Cards blitzing Brees. It was not a percentage call but Brees made a great play to avoid the sack. On the third down play the pass was completed but Patrick fumbled, I don’t think that part was planned..

100. By Gary in SD on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

Whatever it takes to get it done, it was a great win regardless of what ESPN thinks! Hey, it was the world champs espin, why does it matter how it happened? Plays had to be made and playmakers stepped up.

This was also a very strong platform for this team to start rebuilding on. Way to go Cards!

101. By dan on Oct 11, 2010 | Reply

I see Max Hall as our QB of the future, lets hope he stays healthy because this guy has some serious skills. I know its early but he just has “it”.

102. By card62 on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

justin Wheeler

I agree with you also on the play calling at the end. We should not have thrown on the last 2 possessions with a 10 point lead and the saints timeout position.
    I think the coaches just knew we could not run on the saints as we showed all game and with more time on the clock I would have passed to, but not in this game. Patrick has to do his job and hold onto the ball. Hall uses the TE to pass to so I hope Patrick steps up or we finally get a TE before next year.
    Michael Adams I have posted on before as never wanting to see on defense, but I have to say the little man played well, and Davis call had the sack on Brees and our defensive guy totally whiffed on the tackle. Not coaches fault when players miss tackles. Go Cards Thanks again for showing heart and taking pride

103. By Eazy E on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

WOW!!! What a shocker!!! Max Hall did what he had to do, yes it wasn’t sexy but he made some great throws and some not so great throws but he got it done. Tim needs to go back to his #1 back role, I know the saints were focused on the run because of hall starting but tim would have got more than 35 yards on 20 carries most likely and I like beanie but that’s why cardinal fans should chill out because hightower is a better all around back right now. Fitz had his best game with 7 catches and 93 yards 7 away from 100. Ben Patrick made some nice catches would like to see more of that on a consistent basis, roberts did something finally LOL! O-Line played better Levi scooping and scoring! Faneca picked up a key fumble after a strip of max hall scrambling. Defense played outstanding, dockett with a huge strip/punch of ladell betts to knock the ball out and rhodes for back to back weeks recovering the ball and cutting back and scoring a td. Run Defense was much better, Lenon is ballin also, a great free agent pickup through 5 games(6 weeks after the bye). Clark Haggans with a big sack and forced fumble that almost got recovered by us. Secondary played outstanding, toler getting a pick that was good coverage and turning for the ball and catching it. DRC with a pick six and he shouldn’t take a knee or slide because that pick six is a momentum booster and DRC has as much swag as anyone on our entire team. Kerry Rhodes was a great pickup also via trade and I knew it. Rolle is a very good, maybe great FS, but Rhodes is too and more polished right now at that position than Rolle, that is why I loved the trade after Rolle left. A-Wil made his usual plays in the running game and in PASS COVERAGE with a beautiful pass deflection against colston. Feely is so consistent making field goals and that is the kind of kicker we need strong leg and great accuracy. Ben Graham constantly put the saints in horrible field position that really helped and finally gave our defense something to work with. Larod is so explosive and so good at returning kicks, he keeps this up, he ain’t getting snubbed from the pro bowl this time. Great great win for the cards love max hall’s toughness too that hit was brutal and darren, tell DRC to ”hold it up” next time, he’ll know what your talking about.

104. By Chieftain on Oct 12, 2010 | Reply

My Cardiologist hates these guys.

Unlike the “OLD” Cardinals, who would find ways to lose, this team is finding ways to win. Not happy with the blow outs, but things appear to be shaking out.

Just remember, STUPID SHOULD HURT.

Go figure.

105. By Dre on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

They’re reporting Shawne Merriman will be released after he comes off the IR list. I say get him…what do you think and why? I think we need all the pass rush help we can get around here. I know Schofield will be available after the 6th week but he still will be a rookie when he comes back going up against offense of linemaen in mid season form.

I’m quickly becoming a Greg Toler fan. The guy is playing some ball every game. I think he is a great compliment to DRC…he’s tackling, forcing fumbles and getting interceptions, he’s making plays all over the field.

Kerry Rhodes had a great game also but I’m glad he didn’t have far to go for the TD after getting the fumble.

The defense finally showed what they are capable of doing but they dug themselves a pretty deep hole just to step out of with one good game.

106. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Dre —

RE: Merriman

I want to know how much money he wants. He has been ineffective for 2 and a half years since his knee surgery. And since you have to cut players when both Hayes and Schofield come back, who else are you dumping?

107. By Dre on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Tom Brady wasn’t as effective as he once was his first year back from knee surgery but his doing fine now.

Since Breaston and Doucet returning to the line-up from their injuries, Onrea Jones will be let go.

After that its just a matter of who you want to keep…since there isn’t any reason to carry five OLB, Alex Hall goes to the practice squd and the same goes for the fifth safety Hamza Abdullah.

I would take my best OLB and put Will Davis to back him up. The other two would compete for the starting job and then I would shuffle the two through out the game….kind of like B-train coming in on mostly passing downs. I am thinking Porter and Haggans with Porter becoming my new B-Train.

A.J. Jefferson, Reggie Walker would be up for consideration as well. More so with Jefferson because Walker has value a back up.

I can’t imagine a team not trying to bring in Merriman, especially a team whose defense is at the bottom of the league in rushing, passing and over-all total defense. It just makes sense no matter how you look at it.

2. Oct 11, 2010: [Cardinals] Ken Whisenhunt Non-Committal Of Beanie Wells' Increased Workload