One and done Wednesday

Posted by Darren Urban on October 13, 2010 – 12:28 pm

The Cards won Sunday. So coach Ken Whisenhunt gave them a one-and-done bye week, with Wednesday’s short (about 90 minutes) practice the lone official work of the week. Did he think about having more practice? Well, yes.

“You walk a fine line,” Whisenhunt said. “Obviously you’d like to have them out practicing but you also want to take the opportunity to get guys healthy. They held up their end of the deal and you reward them for that. I trust the guys that they will be ready to get back to work Monday. Our work has got to come from practices and obviously if we had a few more it probably wouldn’t hurt us. But I don’t think this will hurt us anyway. They’ll be ready Monday.”

There will be some players in on Thursday, especially rookie starting quarterback Max Hall. “We will get as many as we can,” Whisenhunt said. “The most important thing is getting the quarterback in here and continuing get him to progress. I am just glad we have a few guys who want to get in here and work.”

Said Hall, “I’ll relax and get my rest in, but I am sure I’ll be doing a lot of studying.”

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the rookie receivers show up either.

With a handful of guys either banged up or taking it a little easier, the coaches mixed and matched. Whisenhunt pointed out third-string QB John Skelton got some reps with the offense (usually, Skelton’s work is reserved for the scout team). And again, the banged-up guys sat out, which, in the end, could have been most of the team at this point.

“I can’t imagine John Skelton is too banged up right now,” Whisenhunt joked. “But we have been going at it since training camp, 11 weeks now, everyone is sore or nicked up to some degree. It is a good time for the bye. It’s also good the way we won Sunday. We didn’t play our best but guys stepped up to make plays and I think that helps us as we go forward.”

Tags: ,

61 Responses to “One and done Wednesday”

1. By TheRobot on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

The game was a rough one for Max Hall and I was excited and enamored with the effort I saw out of him. While he did make some mistakes that could of been detrimental, the outcome was a ‘W’ for a team that definitely needed it against an opponent that was otherwise thought to undoubtedly destroy the Cardinals.

Referencing other top QB stats shows that there could be some amazing potential in Max Hall if he has a strong work ethic, improves, and gets good coaching from the Cardinals staff. It will be interesting to see how he progresses and what he can do for an offense that has otherwise been pretty stagnant.

2. By mario8267 on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

GET HEALTHY CARDS!!!!!! DARREN, ANYWORD ON OB SCHOFIELD AND HIM STARTING TO PRACTICE ON MONDAY?

3. By Chuck on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Whiz said ““The most important thing is getting the quarterback in here and continuing get him to progress.”

Notice that he said “quarterback”, not quarterbackS.
    I suppose that he meant ALL QBs, and I acknowledge that the emphasis should be on getting Hall as ready as possible. HOWEVER, if Max is unable to play, Whiz better have DA (heaven help the offense) or (preferably) Skelton ready.

I still lobby for Whiz to name Skelton the #2 QB and make DA inactive. We all know that DA cannot move the offense any better than he did through four games.

Bite the bullet, Rod and Whiz and admit that signing DA was a mistake.

4. By Will on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

The pass protection, especially from Levi Brown, has once again been highly suspect and at times non-existent. It’s obvious that Levi is doing his best, but he doesn’t appear to have the foot speed to defend against a speed rush. At this point, he probably never will.

Are the Cardinals even considering replacing him with perhaps Bridges? I know that Jeremy (who’s getting up there in age) had a very up and down year when replacing Mike Gandy in 2009, but he did an outstanding job against Jared Allen last year and in other spots, which projects a pretty big upside if Bridges were to bring anything close to that kind of performance week by week.

Isn’t it worth at least giving Bridges a chance to steal the job away? Levi isn’t getting it done and he’s been a pretty big let down for Arizona.

Also, 18/61 on 3rd down. Yikes.

5. By Big Red on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Proud of the CARDINALS the way they hung in there.

6. By MikeG on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren– I guess a quiet week for the players with the bye week. These next 2 games are really big to me. Seattle on the road and home to Tampa. Two winnable games for the Cards and a chance to get some guys healthy. I’ll tell you Darren — the NFC is not that strong and it will come down to who is healthy and who is playing their best at the end of the year. I heard a stat that this year–there was no team that started the season with a 4-0 record–it was the first time since 1970–that’s crazy–40 years ago!!! Do you see a team to beat at this point in the NFC???

7. By Nick Pepe on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren- my take on Sunday part 2 and a question: I was impressed with the patience that was diplayed on the offensive side of the ball Sunday. While nobody had a career day in yards, they stuck with the run game and kept the defense honest. Max Hall stuck some passes in there that took the Saints out of the eight man fronts they were showing early and kept their defense honest. The Cards D played “fresh” the whole game.Team Win.
    Now my question:what would consider the best and worst personnel moves of the Whiz era? And please to pull the “it’s too early to call!!” To date, what do you think. Thanks for your input and hard work.
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member(and owner of another cruelty conviction yesterday!….wifes proud)

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Mario —

RE: Schofield

No word yet for sure.

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Will —

RE: OLine

There aren’t going to be any O-line changes right now.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: NFC team to beat

Not really. Feels wide open.

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Personnel moves

Obviously, the second-round pick of Cody Brown hurts a lot, since he never even appeared in a regular-season game when he was supposed to be the OLB pass rusher of the future.

There are a lot of options for the best. It’s all in the perspective. The Hyphen as a seventh-rounder was pretty good, as was Breaston taken in the fifth round. If he keeps playing this way, Paris Lenon could be a big bargain as a FA. I’m sure I am forgetting some.

12. By joe on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

I hope some still come in Thursday who were not required to, that would show real support for Max and the other newbies. That would show Team Leadership. Especially if the Offense shows up not expected with the motivation towards perfecting this “potentially great team”. Nothing hard just support by your presence.

13. By Scott H on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Advice for Max Hall – look for #11 and put the ball where he can get it. Do that and things will be fine.

Honestly, I’m excited about this kid. But at the risk of stating the obvious to a sickening degree, he cannot do it alone. It’s time for this O-line to start paving the way for Beanie and Timmy so we can help this kid not get killed and keep the ball out of the other team’s hands. Nothing complicated about that. The big guys up front need to start getting it done. The D stepped up last week. O-line, it’s your turn. Honestly, is it any wonder that the offense has been so stifled when guys like Fitz and Beanie aren’t getting the ball like they need to? Enough already. Time to let the horses out of the stable!

I’m actually going out to Seattle for the game after the bye and I am psyched!!! It’ll be my first time seeing Fitzgerald play in person and I can’t wait.

14. By Kurt on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

With Shawne Merriman’s projected release after coming off of IR by the Chargers, He would look very good sporting a Big Red Uniform. (If Healthy)

15. By Voice of Reason on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

I still think the Cards need to be proactive during the bye. If Garcia would come in at the minimum, sign him and release DA. Also, call Jevon Kearse and see if he’d come in as a situational pass rusher. Look at Merriman as a situational pass rusher once he is healthy (and is released by the Chargers). All of these options come on the incredibly cheap, so the risk is very small.

I can remember back in 2003, when the Cards were decidedly not fighting for the division, they brought in John Fina and Raliegh Roundtree to bolster the O-line, and both ended up making contributions. No reason not to do so again here.

16. By PWalker on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

I went to link to vote for Max, I played the video of Max and he was only in two plays. 1st Interception, 2nd fumble. How is he supposed to get any votes?

17. By Peter in Canada on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Voice – I think at this point in the season you have to be very selective about picking up players. The Cards played on Sunday with great team spirit and it was that which won the game for them. If players are looking over their shoulders checking other teams roster cuts it can have a detrimental effect on team spirit . Up in Canada, the teams are always trying to sign NFL cuts when the season is already half over and while the players maybe more talented, than some on the current rosters too many changes does not generally help the teams. The ones that only make changes through necessity invariably do the best.

18. By card62 on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren please let me know if any offensive linemen come in for extra work this week. Thank you, Steve

19. By 98CardsFan on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals should attempt to sign Merriman, Porter and Haggans aren’t getting any younger and are W.Davis and the ‘Golden Child’ Schofield really the next phase of OLBs? Some reports the Cards have no interest, and that will lead them to miss out again, other commenters say that it will disrupt team chemistry, but when the slogan for the team right now is ‘do YOUR job’ why not roll the dice? If Lott is the phenom we all believe he is with what he does you have to chance it. I honestly don’t care if he plays this year, its the coming years that intrigue me. Nobody wants him, nobody believes in him, that right there leads me to believe that he’d be a man on a mission for a new contract, all plusses for us. At least make the attempt.

20. By ross on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Hightower in the fifth was a greeat pick.

21. By chad d. on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

any chance skelton comes in as the back up quarterback? and make da third string and inactive the rest of the season? cause that’d be a dream come true.

22. By Secret on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren,
    Are you taking a vacation from azcardinal.com and blogging since its the bye week? I think i remember you doing that last year…

23. By Eazy E on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

We need to go get merriman! When he’s healthy, why not low risk high reward and he ain’t/shouldn’t want too much money because he has to prove that he still got it. He needs a fresh start in the worst way and Fitz loves him. We need more good OLBs in the worst way I know he hasn’t been productive since the acl tear but it usually takes two years for the player and san diego just really doesn’t respect their great players(LT, Antonio Cromartie, Vincent Jackson) and a.j. smith is their gm who is a total idiot.

24. By Eazy E on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Merriman will be released once he’s healthy which adam schefter said he is extremely close to.

25. By Scott H on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Why would Merriman be available at all if he still had anything left? Doesn’t that occur to people??? Doesn’t matter how cheap he might be…if he’s got nothing left, then he’s got nothing left. Really, when was the last time he was on the field and consistently productive??? He’s done. If anyone knows that, it should be the Chargers. If they think he’s done, I have to think they are pretty sure about that.

26. By Scott H on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for the Max Belief story. Good stuff. And you are right – he just seems to have an “it” factor. Nothing that you can put a finger on, but you know it when you feel it. I don’t even know who this kid is and I am already SO much more psyched about the Cardinals now that they’re giving him a chance. This team just looked dead in the water with Anderson at QB. With Hall in the game, it feels like the blood is pumping again. The things that Fitz and Steve-O are saying don’t sound to me like the usual lip-service – it sounds like they are psyched about this guy. I am, too! Can’t wait to make the trip to Seattle next week for the game out there! Can I get an AMEN, brother???

27. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren which week 6 game interests you most, SD at STL, SEA at CHI or OAK at SF?
    I’ll be following the Bay area game simply to see if Singletary’s head explodes like that guy in Scanners.
    Even though I think we both know SF is FAR better than their record.

28. By cactus jeff on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Went to the Redskin/Packer game in DC, had a great time but Phoenix stadium is much more enjoyable. The cardinals have a great homefield advantage. Did you catch the Eagle/49er game, rookie OLB for Eagles, Graham, looked good. I think Schofield was better in college especially toward the end of his college career. Who would he replace on passing downs, assuming he can make it back from injury? Finally, man the secondary was flying to the ball and hitting hard, Toler is a huge upgrade.

29. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Taking time

I will write a couple things Thursday but yes, I will be taking a long weekend.

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Games of interest

Seattle at Chicago, because that directly affects the Cards next week when they go to Seattle.

And yes, I expected SF to be better, but maybe not. Football Outsiders predicted the Niners to be 6-10. FAR better. As Parcells always said, you are what your record says you are.

31. By dr. on Oct 13, 2010 | Reply

Merriman olb cards

32. By Eazy E on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott H-
    How is LT and Antonio Cromartie working out in new york? Their having pro bowl seasons through 5 weeks. San Diego front office is awful and it starts and ends with that moron A.J. Smith.

33. By Eazy E on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

You cut LT and trade one of the best cbs in the league and DRC’s cousin Antonio Cromartie, those Cromartie’s are super athletic yeah that’s einstein banneker smart smdh!!!!

34. By CNelson on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Will there be a Big Red Rage this week?
    And also will there be a cards underground?

Thanks and enjoy your long weekend!

35. By jwit on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Is there any word of veteran WR’s that are making plans to stay and practice w/ Max this week?

Thanks
    Go Cards

36. By JoeVero on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

What do you think of signing Shawne Merriman when he is released?

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

CNelson —

RE: Audio stuff

Underground is off this week. Logistics prevented us from getting together. We’ll be back at it next week.

BRR is Thurs night, regular time. Adrian is out of town; Max Hall and Deuce Lutui will be the guests.

38. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

jwit —

RE: Vets

Not that I know of.

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

JoeVero —

RE: Merriman

I doubt it.

40. By shannonrobinson on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Just a comment on Kurt Warner as announcer : this was a very enjoyable experience. He made astute comments and gave a lot of insight to the schemes being run by both teams. I felt like he was sitting in the living room, he was that comfortable – no awkward moments and that says a lot talking about his team – very entertaing; two thumbs up!

41. By Joe on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

I havnt heard anyone say anything about our run game all week Beanie and tim got stuffed on almost every run avg just at 2 yards per carry i thought the reason alan came over from jets was he was a running game blocking genius or sum such crap all i know is uor running game has been very poor save a couple great runs by timmy and if beanie gonna gripe about carries he prolly needs to make most of the ones he gets.

42. By Joe on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

So i watched the levi brown touchdown again Levi was running around like a chicken with his head cut off litterally running around defenders and even geting in max halls way he only scored because he didnt block anyone and allowed his qb to take a huge hit this guy need to be practicing this week even if noone else is

43. By K-DUB on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

A little something of topic. If the niners lose with week to Oakland (fingers crossed) and Mike Singletary is fired during the season. Would the cardinals try to pick him up as a Def Cord?

44. By MikeG on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Do you think the Cards have a fovorable schedule this year?? You certainly never want to look ahead and have to take the games one at a time. The Cardinals have no road game this year in a cold weather climate and were dealt 3 home games in a row in the heart of their schedule. You rarely see a team play 3 in a row at home. I guess you could say having 3 out of 4 on the road is a tough deal. But all in all a nice schedule???

45. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

RE: Singletary

46. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Schedule

I will let you know in January.

47. By MikeG on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren–That was a HUGE win on Sunday and that could jump start this team. When you can win games when not playing your best that is a great sign. That is what good teams do! My biggest concern with the team is still their run defense–especially when playing on the road. Hopefully Gerald Hayes can come back and help bolster the unit. The defense has to show consistency but that is difficult when you have six new starters on that side of the ball. What is your biggest concern moving forward???

48. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Concern

Obviously, Hall must improve.

49. By LittleBoyRed on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

after this week do you think that the cardinals will still be at the top of the division?or will they have to share like they have for the past few weeks?

50. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

LittleBoy —

RE: Division

Are you asking me if the Seahawks will lose this weekend? I think Seattle will have a tough time in Chicago.

51. By Dre on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

Real quick, you brought up the fact that Beanie got his twenty carries and was there a reason for it since Hightower only got 4 carries….

When I see player give interviews I really pay attention to what they say and even how they say it. Before the Chargers game Beanie said they, meaning the RBs, were ready to shoulder the load for the offense. Before the saints game Whisenhunt said he talked to a few players 1 on 1 and even some of the player sought him out to talk 1 on 1. I don’t know how many ppl caught this but during the game someone said Beanie was one of the players who sought Whisenhunt out and he asked about his role with the team.

Like Bob Uecker “I must be in the front row”…Just kidding but you must see stuff like that going on around the locker room.

I just don’t know about this coach…yeah he won some games but I don’t understand him at all. I don’t understand why he is in love with the pass with one of the most inaccurate QBs in the league and a undrafted rookie. Max Hall will be fine down the line but why not help the guy out with running the ball a little more. I think the Cards really need to watch film on the Jets last year. I don’t think I am alone with my thinking…I really hope we can at least stay with a balanced attack.

Max Hall to his credit showed a lot of promise in the game, he made a couple of throws that DA couldn’t make and thats pretty exciting. What stood out the most was the bad decisions and mistakes but some of the mistakes came from Whisenhunt bad play calling. When we get Breston and Early Doucet back hopefully it will help him out even more with more targets but until then will somebody show this kid how to slide please…I mean really.

The key to this season is patience…I think Max Hall with a healthy WR core and RBs will get the job done. And Like I said patience from the coaching with the run game, he has to stick with it even when we aren’t getting much from it.

Ok one more thing…this is kind of funny. Did anybody catch the excitement from DA when Hall got all smashed up. DA came in and you could see the excitement on his face in the huddle.

52. By redseafan85 on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

darren- do you see the cards making any other roster changes before the end of the season? Perhaps a vet to back up hall?

53. By David C. on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    A little off topic, but I read that the Houston Texans brought in Colt Brennan and another QB for workouts this week. Have you heard anything about the Texans not being happy with Matt Leinart’s work ethic? Could Matt be cut twice in one season?

54. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Redsea —

RE: Roster changes

They have a vet to back up Hall. His name is Derek Anderson.

They will make roster changes, yes. Don’t know how impactful they will be.

55. By redseafan85 on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

darren- what changes do you think they will make? And are you comfortable with da as the backup? He has like a 54 passer rating

56. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

David C —

RE: Leinart

To be honest, I saw the report but I am barely paying attention to the Texans.

57. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

redsea —

RE: Roster

They will eventually activate LB Gerald Hayes, for instance. Never know with injuries, etc.

As for DA, it doesn’t matter what I think. They are OK with Anderson as the backup. And he’s better than guys on the street right now.

58. By Nick Pepe on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren – thanks for responding. For the record I agree with Cody Brown as the worst move. 2nd round pick, didn’t cut it. But probably the best compliment to this Cardinals era is that you really can’t pin point a “best move”. There have been several, but my vote is Breaston. Attitude, professionalism, ability, class. Fitz, Jr. But it is a very good sign when you really can’t decide the best move, because many deserve a vote.
    We should appreciate the staff and team we have. And the fact that the Cards have not lost back to back games since I think Dec ’08 supports that. Darren, I believe it is the longest such streak in the NFL, can you confirm?
    Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

59. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

RE: No back to back losses.

I believe it is the longest active streak.

60. By Scott H on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E –

To answer your question, Cromartie is working out just fine in New York. And? Were you expecting a different answer? If you’re making a direct comparison between him and Merriman just becuase thet were both Chargers, then it’s a bad comparison. Cromartie fell off for a couple of seasons but it was not due to age and it was not due to injuries. It appears that he is a heck of a player that just fell off for a few seasons, and now he’s got it back. It happens. In my humble opinion, Merriman is a much different story. He HAS been significantly limited over the past few seasons due to injuries and he just doesn’t look like he has it anymore. I’ve heard it said that he may also be a player that may have benefitted from the juice ( performance enhancing substances ) in the past and it may be catching up to him now. I don’t know that to be true, but…pro sports has certainly seen enough of that over the years.

2. Oct 17, 2010: Around the NFC West: Okung’s challenge | NowSportsLive