Thursday before the bye

Posted by Darren Urban on October 14, 2010 – 3:46 pm

There might only be one quieter day than this one in-season around here, and that will be tomorrow. But, as coach Ken Whisenhunt noted, there were a few players in to work out this morning. Included in the group was new quarterback Max Hall, who indeed was out in the early-morning sun throwing some passes. Unfortunately, most were to players he’s unlikely to throw to in a real game. Larry Fitzgerald was gone, and while Steve Breaston, Early Doucet and Stephen Williams were out getting in some work running around, they weren’t in a place to do it with Hall yet. Max Komar, Onrea Jones and practice-squader Ed Gant were the targets.

(Although Doucet and Breaston did look decent jogging around and Breaston seemed like he had some proper footwork down when he briefly played “quarterback” on a handful of passes to Doucet as they were wrapping up. BTW, Breaston was killing the doughnuts in the locker room).

Doucet is hoping to be back for the Seattle game. He is clearly anxious to play again. He acknowledged it’s easy to feel good “going against air” and needs to see how he responds when there are actual defenders.

Speaking of all that, when all the receivers get healthy, the coaches have some interesting decisions to make. Fitz, Breaston and Doucet will play. You figure Andre Roberts — who flashed as a receiver as well as a punt returner against the Saints — will be the fourth. Is the fifth Komar or Williams? Komar does more on special teams, but since Doucet and Roberts both can play inside, Williams might be more needed.

There is time to talk about all this later. The flow of information — at least from me — is going to trickle to nothing soon. I’ve got a long weekend myself, and given the grind since training camp started and days off I can count on one hand in that time, I too plan to enjoy the break.

Then comes the sprint to the finish. Eleven games in which to lock down an NFC West three-peat. Should be an interesting journey, regardless.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Thursday before the bye”

1. By nrdpmp on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren, enjoy your long week. You and the players need your rest. We the fans appreciate all the time you spend to give us the 4-1-1 of what’s going down.

2. By Phoenixraven1 on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Excited “Rise Up Ref Sea!!!”

3. By TucsonTim on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Anyway, thanks for the best blog of any NFL team’s web sites. Really due appreciate your effort.

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Son

Fixed.

5. By Pheenic Cromartie on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think Steve Breaston and Early Doucet will play in the Seattle game?

6. By TW on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

“OK so you busted me for misspelling Bidwill and you spelled the desert sun as “son”. Next time I’m telling your wife.
    Anyway, thanks for the best blog of any NFL team’s web sites. Really DUE appreciate your effort”

This could go on all week.

7. By Eric on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

With Early and Steve coming back, I am guessing Onrea will probably be cut when Hayes is ready to return. If that is the case, does he still have practice squad eligibility? Be good to keep him around if some WR’s get banged up again.

8. By Jon L. on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

It seems like we are going to have a plethora of receivers again which is exciting. Do you see the cards using more 3 4 and 5 receiver sets as the season goes on?

9. By Wash on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Equally impressive about Max story: the scouting to identify him in college, the vision to bring him in undrafted, and the coaching to help him grow. Cards organization really clicked on this one.

Agree with nrdpmp: Rest is good.

I’ve more time on these blogs because I’m also resting from a recent marathon. Can’t wait for when I have less time.

10. By Havasu Tom on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Go play with the kids for a few days, they’ll love you for that. As always, you help make the season fun. See you next week.

11. By MikeFlorio on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

A love feast going on here or what?? Okay Cards fans I just want to let everyone know that since Darren Urban is taking an extended break, I will be taking over the Website and making some hardnose groundbreaking league news reports, something that is lacking here. With all the grammar problems I feel this is the best choice. (I surprised Urban has kept his job this long) Darren did you even go to college??? —darren you know I’m envious of your work and wish I had your job, so don’t be mad. just joking need to break up this bro-mance you share with some of the readers here.

12. By Dre on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

It funny how the league shifts from year to year, one minute its a passing league the next defense is front and center.

The top three team in the NFL are…(1) The Jets (2) The Ravens (3) The Steelers. I ask myself how these teams got to where they are now. Just by looking at the teams you got say defense has to be reason number one why they are on top of the leagues power ranking list. But what about the offenses? None of these teams are pass first offenses. Some could be considered balanced at best but the run game is the secret to their success

I brought up these teams for a couple of reasons. One and the most important is a very good defense of player just came available. The first thing I hear from local sports writers is he likely isn’t a good fit for the cardinals. The second thing I hear is about money, like they are cutting checks around here. Heck, our starting QB is only making and I quote “Hall received a $5,000 signing bonus and has a salary of $320,000.”

Shawne Merriman had major knee surgery two years ago which ended his ’08 season, he was 24 years old. Tom Brady had major knee surgery two years ago at age 31 and he is back doing what he does the best as we speak. And I hope I don’t want to hear anyone respond to this comment regarding Merriman knee injury because we drafted a player out of college who torn his ACL in O’Brien Schofield and probably won’t see any meaningful action until late November or December.

Shawne Merriman is 26 years old compared to our current starting OLBs in Haggans and Porter who are 33 years old. We lost a #2 rd pick in Cody Brown, who was suppose to satisfy the pass rush need but he was cut…not playing in a regular season game. Bertrand Berry retired at the age of 35 years old after 12 seasons, he had 5 and 6 sack his last couple of years.

We are currently ranked 27th in overall defense, 26th in passing and 28th in rushing defense. Just in case you don’t know, 27th is 6th worst in the league. But The Cardinals likely don’t view Merriman as a good fit…isn’t that the funniest.

The more I write about this situation the more I see how much we need Merriman here. We play the Vikes in a mouth and still have Denver, Dallas, 49ers and KC were we need to keep pressure on the QB.

Ask yourself how many times a player comes available like this. I could see if he was just cut like DA, from a team like DA’s old club. This guy comes from a very good team who just happens to have one of the worst GMs in the game….The San Diego Chargers self imploded this year which should be our gain.

13. By R Robles on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Its nice to see alot of rookies step up lets fans know the Cards future is bright

14. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren enjoy the weekend. Bone up on the Greek mythology and don’t worry about using Tivo for this weeks Family Guy.
    Like other posters have said, you give us fanatics a place to vent our emotions, play GM and generally feel good about ourselves.
    And you’re a helluva lot cheaper than a psychologist.
    Just remember you have a Monday deadline!

15. By Eazy E on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

I kinda like that boy max hall he got so much confidence

16. By Eazy E on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Fitz and Max Hall help is coming with stevie b and early

17. By Eazy E on Oct 14, 2010 | Reply

Can’t double or triple Fitz as consistently with those 2 in and max has much more options/weapons with those guys

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Pheenic —

RE: WRs chance

I think that’s the plan. Little more confident about Doucet.

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

RE: Roster move

If all the WRs are healthy, going to be tough for them to keep a seventh.

20. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Jon L —

RE: WR sets

I think they have already used those multiple sets more than I expected.

21. By Voice of Reason on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Uh, why are there donuts in the locker room?

There’s donuts in my locker room. But that’s why I type these things and they play on the field.

I think our offense improves fairly dramatically with the two WRs back…

22. By card62 on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren enjoy some time off as you have earned it.

Our team not so much, especially the offense. I was hoping the oline, nicknamed the Piglets, would hang around and workout this week with Russ Grimm.

Thanks again for all the info and for answering our questions.
    Steve

23. By Eazy E on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

I’m looking at nfl total access and I see Max Hall won the rookie of the week award and jamie dukes and rod woodson who both like the cards giving him grief talking about they won in spite of him not necessarily. Max made some plays and his playmakers helped him make those plays. The defense did play awesome but give him some credit.

24. By Robert on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

The time off will is going to be verry good for them.
    Please check out my blog.

25. By Scott H on Oct 15, 2010 | Reply

Well, as much as I like most of these young WR’s, it will be nice to have the big guns occupying the top spots once again. The young guys can still get their chances, but this team needs what it hasn’t had all year – Fitzgerald, Breaston, and Doucet all on the feild together. This team has been three-deep at WR for so many seasons and they can continue to be if they can just get these guys on the field together. With Beanie back and raring to go, it will be nice to see ( FINALLY ) what this offense can do. And after a win against the SB champs and the rest of the West floundering, maybe – just maybe – this team can get rolling. No better place to start than with a game against the Seahawks. In the rubble that is the NFC West right now, the Cardinals ARE the best team. Period. Top to bottom, they have the most talent and they are the best coached. Still, I don’t want to see them be what the Seahawks were for so many years before the Cardinals took over, which was simply the best of a bad lot. I want to believe that they really are a legit team that deserves to be in the playoffs. The NFC couldn’t be more wide open and up for grabs than it is right now. And no one’s even looking at the Cardinals right now! But a few more wins while the Saints, Cowboys, and Vikings continue to struggle…who knows? The West is theirs’ for the taking! Coming off a big win, rested from the bye, getting guys back from injury, goin’ to Seattle, and flyin’ under the radar…not a bad position to be in.

26. By TBru on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Something definitely is missing on the bye week. watching other games, but not with the same zeal as when the big red take the gridiron. Jorrick Calvin looks like he would have made a decent punt returner for us.

27. By TBru on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Rams and Sea Chickens win, next week is a huge game

28. By tRiGiDy22 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren, time too get back too work brother?? How was your Vacation? Been having withdraws without your blogs. lets talk about beatin the sea-chickens!

29. By jocards on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

This is a big and pivotal game this weekend. A win in Seattle would be huge. Make no mistake, the Seahawks are much improved from last season and that stadium is never easy to go into and get a win. We’ve got a QB making his 2nd start and he’ll have to deal with his own inexperience, the Seattle pass rush and a ton of noise. We have to hope the defense again shows up with some big plays, the special teams too. It’d be nice to punch them early and subdue the crowd somewhat…Beating the Saints was big, now we’ll see if another giant step can be taken.

2. Oct 15, 2010: NFC West Friday News and Spin | Fantasy Football Spin