Back to work Monday

Posted by Darren Urban on October 18, 2010 – 1:35 pm

The Cardinals were back at practice Monday to start up what will be the stretch run of 11 games. Plus, they are in an NFC West division that looks like it can be very interesting. Because there is no injury report, nothing official was said, although wide receiver Steve Breaston did return to practice and said there was “no doubt” in his mind he will play Sunday. Wide receiver Early Doucet is also hoping to play, although his status may be more wait-and-see. Injuries are always an iffy issue on a Monday like this anyway; because it isn’t a “normal” practice, the Cards usually err on the side of extra rest this early in the week.

Linebackers Gerald Hayes and O’Brien Schofield, because of the rules on their wait lists, can’t practice until Week 6 has concluded and the NFL still has Jacksonville-Tennessee tonight. If there was a 10 p.m. practice tonight, they could go. Instead, they will wait until Wednesday, although both are expecting to give it a try. Once they begin practicing (and technically, the Cards have three weeks to begin that process), the Cards have three weeks to decide whether to activate them to the roster (and release someone else).

Side note of the day: ESPN.com’s in-depth writer, Elizabeth Merrill, was on hand to report for an upcoming Max Hall story.

Tags: , , , ,

48 Responses to “Back to work Monday”

1. By Tyrelle on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I hope we win. Are they aware that Seattle has us tied?

2. By LZ on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

the survey on the main page has deion branch as an option but he was traded to the patriots. deon butler still plays for the seahawks tho..
    irrelevant to the article but just thought i would let u know. i think the last option should be Seattle’s defense. im pretty worried about them.. :)

3. By Chris on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Would the Cardinals have any interest in Sean Merriman?

4. By Kofari on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals should start alan branch at nt tackle and give some of ken whisenhunt new linebackers some reps?

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

LZ —

RE: Poll

We’re on it …

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Merriman

Must clear waivers first.

7. By Sergio on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Any idea if the Cardinals intend to bring Schofield up this season or wait until 2011 (assuming we have football then)?

Sergio.

8. By Kofari on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Arizona need to get the o line goin for max.Hes a prety good qb and he fit very good in the arizona. But when he got time in the pocket he got to take his time and make good decisions?

9. By Christian on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

You said 11 game stretch? I think your forgeting they will be on a 14 game stretch after they clinch the division, get home field advantage and win the super bowl? Give my boy Max Hall some props.

10. By Secret on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Man, they should seriously consider flexing one of the card’s games to sunday night. The Cardinals are still interesting to watch, especially on the national stage

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Sergio —

RE: Schofield

I know OB wants to play. I think it will depend on his recovery/practice.

12. By Paul on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I know the Cards get no national respect but I was really mad when I saw every ESPN analyst picked BYE to beat Arizona last weekend. ;-)

13. By Jeremy on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I know this is random but after seeing the newest “Wired” I realized how much I would love to see Stephen Spach wired. He was deemed a “disturber” during preseason and coach Whiz talks about how he loves how fired up and chippy Spach is, I would love to see/hear him during a game with the OPPOSITE team, not his own guys.

Just a request/suggestion! Thanks for all you do!

14. By shannonrobinson on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Eye of the Wolf from Ron is a great breakdown of the possible game plan : I think we’ll finally get to see Beannie Ball at its best. Well worth waiting for.

15. By jocards on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I’m guessing that Breaston & Doucet will play this week. Hayes I have my doubts about and Schofield almost certainly will not play. Your thoughts?

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Possible health

I want to see who is practicing Wednesday first.

17. By Dre on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren–

RE: Merriman/ waivers

How true is it that when a player is cut or released they are free to sign anywhere right away…

Waived is for players with 4 or less years in the NFL they must pass thru the waiver wire before becoming a FA. Waiver wire goes from worst record to best record based on last season team with worst record having “dibs”….I read this somewhere

18. By Andre on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Was that a joke Paul or are you serious?

19. By James on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Go cardinals hopefully max hall does really Incredible like i know he can. i was wondering will that max hall espn story be on tv? gooo cardinals third straight NFC West!

20. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Dre —

RE: Merriman

If I have read correctly (and I could be wrong), the waiver system automatically is in place after the trade deadline, regardless of player, and Merriman wouldn’t be released before that. Before that, he would be free (although right now, since he has been in the league four years and the CBA says six years until unrestricted status, that could be different too).

Some background: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/17/san-francisco-could-be-merrimans-next-team/

21. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

James —

RE: Max Hall story

Merrill is a writer, not a TV personality, so I think it will be just a written story.

22. By Kofari on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Undrafted rookie max hall winning a super bowl.Will be the biggest story ever

23. By Peter in Canada on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Hope u enjoyed your break. u are right. The division is interesting and it is not as weak as the so called experts would have us believe. The Cards will not be backing in. They will win it fair and square.

24. By Big Red on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren what do you think of this. Everybody says the west is the worst division in football. That none of the teams are play-off bound besides the division champ. Well, Seattle beats the Bears, Rams beat the Chargers and 49ers beat the nobody Raiders. We can forget also our Cardinals beat the World Champs the Saints. What the hell are they talking about, an Americas team is 1-4 whats up with that. Respect is what we need. There all full of it.

25. By OttisAndersonFan on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

“If you need to win, it gives a little more motivation … it’s a little like the playoffs. I like competition. But it’d be nice if it was easier. I’ll take it on a silver platter if I can get it that way.” – Calais Campbell

If that quote doesn’t prove that the Cards have taken games off the past couple of seasons because their competition was so bad, nothing will. Makes me think about Paul’s interview with Terry Bradshaw last year in which Bradshaw said the Cards were the NFL’s poster child for turning their switch “on/off” — I.e. Playing hardest when it mattered and not very hard when it didn’t matter (because they were always in first by a game or two).

That’s fine, but it’s not going to work this year. Every regular season game is going to factor into whether or not the Cards are going to the postseason this year. As a fan I welcome that change, because I want to see this team play to their full potential every game — not just when they have the option to.

26. By TBru on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

“Hayes and Schofield, because of the rules on their wait lists, can’t practice until Week 6 has concluded and the NFL still has Jacksonville-Tennessee tonight. If there was a 10 p.m. practice tonight, they could go.”

stupid rule

27. By Richard S on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

.The San Fran paper says the Ninety Forters are interested in Merriman.

28. By Austin on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

They need to play games on normal cable channels in AK. Im in the army and have to travel and the only way I can watch the games right now is at a bar where its muted.

29. By cardsfan28 on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Espn sportscenter just said were the worst team in the nfc west and that the seahawks will win the division! Whatever…. Were going in the underdogs as usual. Hope we shock em all!

30. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

To me, this is a HUGE game, for confidence and from a divisional standpoint.
    Last year, the Cards lost to SF and was embarrassed by Indy before winning at SEA and NY. In 2008, AZ was bombed by the Jets before pounding the Bills and the Poopkickers.
    This season the Falcons and Chargers have plucked the Cards tailfeathers; then first the win against the SB champs Saints, now a title bout with the ‘Hawks.
    How big will the 12th man be an advantage for Seattle, and conversely how will the Cards try to diffuse it? Running game early in the game make sense?

31. By Dustin D on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Hope the cards just watched MNF post game. Trent Dilfer said the cards are the worst team out of a division full of bad teams,and have no chance of winning. I hope they keep saying that, good MOTAVATION.

32. By R Robles on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren any possible trades before it ends?

33. By joe on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

beanie needs a good day for a win in seatle. the running game shuts seatle down everytime.

34. By Michelle on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is Signing Autographs at Westgate

35. By Sean on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren points out in his article “The Wild Wide-Open West” that this NFC West division is the widest and openest.

While I see why he says that (the parity in our division is unreal), the AFC South is also intriguing with Indy having dropped 2 divisional games already and the division knotted up at 4-2 still.

In any event, we are gonna need the Cards D to really step it up this weekend and give Maximus Hall a fighting chance!

36. By Tinted Face Visor on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

If Breaston and Doucet both come back this week, would that probably mean Jones will be let go? And that spot filled by Hayes?

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

RRobles —

RE: Trades

Do not expect anything.

38. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

RE: Hayes

Until Gerald gets some practice time — it’s been a long, long time since he has played anything resembling football — and shows he is ready, they won’t activate him.

39. By MikeG on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren –Nice article on the Wild West. The Western division is not as weak as everyone believes. The whole NFC is so even –I don’t see one team right now that is heads above another team. Injuries and who plays their best football at the end of the year will be the team that succeeds. I was hoping the Cards would be a minimum of 4-4 at the midway point. Hopefully they will bypass that. Hopefully Hall will improve each time out. Darren– do you think the bye week at week 6 is good for the Cards?? or would you rather have it later in the schedule?? A win Sunday & I guess that question is answered….

40. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Bye

I think it was a fine time. Week 3 or 4 is too early. Otherwise, anytime works.

41. By MikeG on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Also–Darren–Also-What is your thoughts on the NFL addressing these helmet to helmet hits. I don’t know what else they can do–Football can be violent at times and these injuries and concussions are part of the game. I did see part of that Rutgers game Saturday where the young man was paralyzed –really ashame. I just think these things are going to happen every now and then!! It is the nature of the sport!! Your thoughts???

42. By bobF on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Completely off the subject, but twitter is down (again).
    Should we put out the word to support Cody Grimm Rookie of the Week?

43. By Eazy E on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Ain’t no trades gone happen with the conservative cardinals

44. By Tinted Face Visor on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

So if Hayes isn’t activated and Breaston and Doucet come back, then will they pick someone else up instead of Jones? I cant imagine them keeping 7 wide receivers?

45. By card62 on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Gerald Hayes be smart with your health, but if you are good to go we really need you back on the field. Our front seven just are not getting it done this year and we really need this game against the Seahawks.
    GO Cards play smart and play hard for all 60 minutes.

46. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

MikeG —

RE: Hits

Just blogged about it.

47. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Tinted —

RE: Roster moves

They won’t long-term, but you have to have eight inactives game day anyway, so you can afford to wait a week if needed.

48. By Scott H on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

The NFC West is interesting in a different way than I thought it would be…but the fact that it’s interesting nonetheless should not be a surprise. While I wasn’t handing the division the the 49ers like every so-called expert under the sun was during the off-season, I thought they had as good a chance as any. I didn’t see the division as a gimme for the Cardinals, either. But that had more to do with Warner’s retirement and its impact on the Cardinals than anything any other team in the division was doing. Regardless, it’s all up for grabs now. I think the Cardinals have the most talent and if they can get key players back and keep them healthy, there’s no reason they shouldn’t win the division. But they have virtually no room for error. The Seahawks and Rams are surprisingly feisty teams that look like they are going to fight to win every week. AND they’re both gaining the confidence that they CAN win. For me, there’s just no confidence that if the Cardinals fall behind by a few games in the division, they’ll inevitably make it up along the way. No other way to say it, this game against Seattle is a MUST win. If the Cardinals aren’t going to be good enough to pull away from everyone in the division and the Seahawks are going to right in our pocket to the finish line, the only way you can take care of business is win the head-to-head games. So…let’s get the win in Seattle and put the pressure on them to win in our house down the road – something they haven’t done for several years.